Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    I have had both problems and the back of the drivers seat came unstitched rear left seam. The dealer sent it out to an upholstery shop who made a proper repair under warranty.

The plastic trim lodges of the rubber door seal. We had no problem with manual door behind driver. The powered on the passenger side it fell down.

In the end I found that you need to get super glue GEL, not the regular liquid. There are two pieces sticking up from this plastic trim. Put the super glue on the top, may have a piece of foam on it. That's why you need the gel. Put the glue on and hold it against the roof.It adheres very quickly. Then I put some on the inside of the black door trim where the plastic trim rests.

So far this has worked 100%. Interesting that on the other door no problem.

The airbag light has beenn up before with some other owners. Suggest you jog back in the posts to about beginning of July.
  • jeckhoutjeckhout Member Posts: 3
    I started emailing dealers to get their best price. One of them called me today and told me for a Venture Plus with AM?Fm/CD/Tape player he could do $100 over invoice minus the rebate plus tax and taggs and anything else I might want like warranty and all the other junk they will try and sell me while there. I know the invoice price is $22492. Does anyone know if GM charges their dealers an advertising fees per vehical? A few people have mentioned $350 to me but I cant find this on any of the sites.

If this dealer is not giving me the business Im going to take it. $100 over invoice rocks. I may even add a few more options at that price.

I think there must be a dealer incentive we dont know about. At that price the dealer is makeing about $750 (hold back plus $100) Someone mentioned they have a pretty hefty surplus of the Ventures on hand so that could explain the deal I guess.

I'll post how it turns out. Anyone kow of any GM advertiing fees or dealer incentives?

Thanks
  • daverosedaverose Member Posts: 233
    Since the dealer has cited the invoice, ask to see it; it should have the advertising charge on it.
  • tbone14tbone14 Member Posts: 10
    We did the same thing and got pretty much the same deal. Although we have not bought yet because of the high finance rate. I just have trouble with paying 9%, although they have the lower rates in place of the 2000 rebate. We also believe that there is a dealer incentive floating. Don't believe that they are sacrificing profit, they have a back end deal. The best deal I received form the net is $100 below on invoice, but the color was wrong. Offham posted a great site www.carbuyingtips.com which is very funny, (check out the emails on the home page)but also gives some great information.

Although the published finance rates are currently high, I think or at least hope there will be some deals given to move all the 00 ventures on the lots.

Good luck, let us know how you make out...
    I would concur that apart from the regular holdback, there is an additional incentive that is given to dealers to push those 2000 off the lot. The current $2000 rebate is the highest they had back in late Dec/early Jan, and you could get another $500 if had owned a GM auto.

Nevertheless, the 2001 are on the production line, so the 2000 on the lots is "what you see is what you get". As I had mentioned earlier GM have an excessive "day" inventory of autos including vans.

In some ways that forces a compromise, maybe on color, options and model availability.The GM BuyPower site does give you the insight on what the dealer has on the lot.
    I Already have my financing lined up. 6.95% from my Credit Union if I can get 20% down. (the rebate plsu my old car should get me the 20%). If I cant get 20% it will 7.95%. Compared to all the other rates Ive seen I think it's good. I'm going to see if I get any takes on my old car this week. If not I will trade it. I don't want to wait too long. That excessive inventory of 2000s wont last forever.

I'm startn to have some fun with the dealers.... I told two of the others that responded what my current best deal was. We'll see what they say. I love pitting them against one another... god I love the net.... After all those yeas of them haivng the upper hand I finally feel like I can get a decent deal.

A friend of mine worked at a car dealer as a lot attendent. He says I should get my best deal at one place then ask if I can take it home so the wife can see it. Then drive it to another dealership and tell them I'm about to buy it at this price and can they beat it. I'm thinking about it but I don't know that I'm quite that bold. Besides... I'm getting in the area where they might not have much room to undercut each other now.
  • jbennisonjbennison Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any idea when the 2001 ventures will start to appear on the dealer lots? I checked out www.giggo.com and it sounds like some of the features that cost extra on the 2000's will be included in the 2001. Thanks for the link! I guess I could just go into the dealer and order one?
  • stobarstobar Member Posts: 110
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the stock General tires that come with Ventures? I bought a '97 Venture Ext. new in August of 1997, and the tires that came with it were the General Self-Sealant tires. Come to find out, that "[non-permissible content removed]" that they put inside the tire, will settle into one spot on a really hot day. Also, if you pick up a nail, the self-sealant doesn't always work, and tire repair shops do not like to mess with these tires because of the "[non-permissible content removed]"! With the "[non-permissible content removed]" settling into one spot, it mays for a someone bumpy or uneven ride. I was wondering if anyone else has had that problem, or has seen something like this posted in the various sites.

Thanks,

Barry
  • dustinnewtondustinnewton Member Posts: 242
    The tires that General makes that are self-sealing, America GS60 GenSeal, are not the ones that came on my Y2K WB Venture. My wife thought that the dealer told her that they were the sealing kind, but when she got a nail in them last week, and one went flat (the built in air compressor came in handy. Short trip to the tire store), she realized that we didn't have them. According to consumer reports, this is the only self-sealing model that General makes. I would bet that very few Ventures that have Generals have the self-sealing variety. I have the XP 2000 model on my van, and according to General, these aren't self sealing.
    I know it is probably a nice little feature but why? You can buy a good tire plug kit for $10 and a small portable air compressor for about $25. The only other thing you need is a par of plyers to pull the old nail or screw out. It takes about 15 minutes to fix a puncture, it usually lasts a good long time, and takes just slightly more effort than chanigng your oil to do.

I keep a kit like this with all my other esential stuff in my tool box in the car. I usually end up fixing other peoples tires in the parking lot at work more than my own. Nice to know I have it if I need it though.
    Now that I'm home, I was able to take another look at the tires. They are "General XP 2000 GT Gen Seal" tires. In taking a look at the original sticker, it was part of their Safety and Security Feature that included Theft Deterrant and Self Sealing System, a $210 option. I had the opportunity to look at one of the tires off the rim. I should have used the word "goop", but guess "[non-permissible content removed]" is just as good! Anyway, the first dealer wouldn't touch it, and finally someone else plugged the tire for me. So much for the self sealant. I am hoping someone else who has these tires will let me know their opinion of them. They are supposed to be 80,000 mile tires, but I don't think I can take it that long. I've had the van three years and only have a 36,600 miles on it. The tires will dry rot before they wear out at that rate. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Barry
    I think I'm going to go with the Goodyear Aqua Tread tires next time. Was thinking that they would work well with the Traction Control System. If you may think otherwise or have a better suggestion for tires for a '97 Chevy Venture Ext., please let me know.

Thanks again,

Barry
  • re025901re025901 Member Posts: 7
    What city, State do you live in? 9% sure seems high for Interest rates. I think GM still has low financing, at least that's what i've seen. I'm in los angeles and I know i've seen rates at 3.9 and 4.9. Maybe they are higher where you live. I used to be a salesperson for dealers. For anyone interested in a new vehicle, Email me and I'll give you the "inside scoop" on how to get an awesome deal on new vehicles. re025901@student.fullerton.edu
  • ravenrichravenrich Member Posts: 6
    Ready to buy in Baltimore,Md. Venture LT w/ 1SD pkg. 7 seats, 2nd row captain seats. $26,794 plus tax of 1340 plus title,lien, reg & tags, and tire recycling fee of 140 less $2,000 rebate, bottom line of $26,298.Any comments; looked at Edmunds TMV.
  • hadestoupeehadestoupee Member Posts: 3
    I almost bought a 1997 Venture on 8/19/00. However, talking to the only two people at work I know that own a Venture, they both(yes, I said both) had to have their 1998 3.4L engines rebuilt shortly after 30,000 miles. Can't believe there are no posts here about 1998 Venture engine problems. They said the start of their problems was a noisy engine at startup, which the one I was going to buy has. They said there was a technical bulletin, repair by complaint only, out on the engine,however can't find it with Edmunds search. And they did get new pistons in their engine, one lady received a new engine. Chevy wouldn't do this if there wasn't a problem. Anybody else out there had engine problems? Does your engine have a little tapping sound on start up? Better check it out!!! The dealer I was going to buy from didn't want to deal with it. They will just sell it to some other unknowing soul, warranty being up in 2 months, and this baby has 30,000 miles. Good luck to someone!
  • big__daddybig__daddy Member Posts: 30
    I do hear a ticking sound after start up but this goes away after 15 seconds or so. I don't know if this is normal or not for a 2000 Venture? I've found a service bulletin at alldata.com ;

57-61-24A JUN 98 Cold Engine Tick or Rattle After Start-up

I'm not taking any chances and will have this checked out tomorrow.
    I drove over to our local dealer's lot on Sunday evening to see what was new and found to my surprise a 2001 venture in sandrift metallic. It must have just been delivered on friday or saturday because it still had all the factory stickers etc. on it, this dealer also has 4 2000 ventures on the lot yet.
    I forgot to mention in the previous post that I LOVE the new grill on the front end of the 2001's!
    It is much more attractive than the present grill. I really couldn't tell if it had a power sliding door, but it did have rear air and on-star. Unfortunately, the seating arrangement is not what I am looking for, want the captain's chairs in the center.
  • hate_gmhate_gm Member Posts: 2
    Even if ypu can ignore the safety test photos, is it worth the hassle of spending hours/days in GM shop while they fix one problem after the another?

GM's quality may be comparable to that of Ford and Chrysler but it is no way near Toyota and Honda.

By the way, their roadside assistance was a no show even after 3+ hours during a recent breakdown on an interstate (one of so many so far)

Yes, i was stupid enough to buy an American car after so many years of dependable Honda/Toyota ownership.

All of us even thinking about looking at anything other than Honda/Toyota should get our head examined.

This should be a no brainer. STAY AWAY FROM GM (or Ford or Chrysler)
  • hate_gmhate_gm Member Posts: 2
    How can there be a "deal" on Venture?

After buying Venture, you get nothing but hassles and hours at the dealership?

Buying junk is not a DEAL at any price.

Buy Honda or Toyota.
  • tmalltmall Member Posts: 3
    I've put 180,000 miles on a '91 S10 truck with very few repairs and never once got stranded. I've also chocked up $3500 in GM card points and with the $2000 rebate, I was sure to buy the Venture.

However, on the way to the Chevy dealer, I stopped at the Honda dealer. Wow, what a difference. The Od LX is larger, has bigger engine,standard rear heat and air, independent susp, bigger wheels/tires, etc, etc, etc AND stickers for about $3000 less than Venture LS extended. We sat in 3 Ventures and they all had trim falling off, loose doorskins, sliding doors with lots of interference, terrible fit and finish, vague steering, inferior ride and handling, on and on.

There was a Venture demo with only 4500 miles on it that had a rusty exhaust and the bottom of the engine was oily! I can't understand how GM sells a single van in today's market - even with heavy incentives. I'm ordering an Od LX this week.
  • wdaveowdaveo Member Posts: 7
    We had the same experience. $3500 on the GM card and a $2500 rebate, we had no doubt we would be buying another GM minivan after owning a '94 Lumina APV which we had been quite pleased with. After test driving everything (Venture, Silo, Montana, Caravan, Windstar, Ody) here we sit with a new Honda Odyssey. Could have gone with the Caravan, as well. But after driving the GM trio - we knew immediately we would not be purchasing a GM van. It was very sad and very difficult to pass up the $7000 savings on top of a GM option 1 discount, but we are still thrilled with our Honda and have no regrets (other than the heavy car loan). Good luck in your decision!
  • chevy2kmanchevy2kman Member Posts: 2
    A solution for the sagging plastic over the sliding doors. Forget the double sided tape or foam. Go to your nearest big name hardware store and buy some heavy duty velcro. Make sure it is the type with the extra strength adheasive backing. Plase both sides together and cut it to about 1" x 2". Fold the fuzzy side over the plastic tab on the trim leaving some left over at the top to create a surface large enought to stick to the opposite side (rough) which you will place inside the trim track. Just eye-ball the location. As long as most of the sides overlap it will work just fine. I did this a week ago and they haven't budged since. The extra stregth adheasive is more heat tollerant so it won't fall out and the velcro makes it removeable should you need to grease or repair the door track.
    I know it's a $20,000+ van, but what's worse, a droopy trim on a $20,000+ van or a "high tech" velcro fix?

-"Chuck"
  • chevy2kmanchevy2kman Member Posts: 2
    Must you allow posts from those who are only intent on trashing certain auto makers? This is your web site not a newsgroup. If you want to provide a "valuable" service to your customers you must curtail such misuse. I will not be able to recommend your site to others if this is activity is permitted.
    (I would not have posted this here if I could have found a direct link to the host for this group.)
    Please respond with your intentions.
    Thank you.
  • mep932mep932 Member Posts: 1
    Lots of talk on here ab out Gen Tires. Mine went 70000 on orig and I replaced w/Pep Boys best touring type and what a difference. Those Gens were like 4 stones. These (made by Cooper) make the van ride better than my Caddie. Also on Oil leaks--prob is the design of a wrg harness is right by oil pan drain plug and whenever oil is changed it is goin to drip for a day or two. Leave it to GM! Good car though. Hav 107000 on my 98 and haven't touched it.
  • 22282228 Member Posts: 2
    TO WDAVEO AT #555, YOU'VE MADE A POOR FINANCIAL DECISION BUYING THE ODYSSEY. WITH THE $3500 CREDIT ON YOUR GM CARD, THE GM VAN HAD TO HAVE BEEN AROUND $5000 LESS THAN THE HONDA. I'VE LOOKED AT THE ODYSSEY, AND WHILE I LIKED THE THIRD SEAT FEATURE, THE CAR IS NOTHING SPECIAL. THE STYLING IS DULL. HONDA'S LOWER DEPRECIATION FROM MSRP WILL NOT MAKE UP THE LOSS OF YOUR GM CARD CREDITS. LIKE YOUR DECISION, MINE IS AFFECTED BY CREDITS ON MY GM CARD. EVEN THOUGH I AM LEANING TOWARD THE SUBURBAN, I KEEP LOOKING BACK AT THE MINIVANS, PRIMARILY BECAUSE THEY WILL LEAVE ME MORE ROOM IN MY GARAGE. I JUST WISH GM MINIVANS HAD THE 8 PASSENGER SEATING WITH LEATHER. I'M SURE YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH YOUR HONDA, AS YOU WERE WITH YOUR LAST GM. MY LAST GM CAR, A BUICK, WAS STILL GOING STRONG WHEN I SOLD IT WITH 200K MILES.
    I have seen a 2000 LT with the eight seater option and in leather. Suggest check with GM if dealer not sure.
    Did post some time back, that I resolved this problem with Super Glue Gel. The gel does not absorb into the foam on the little pillar. I also put some on the inside "ledge" of the door seal where the plastic rests.
    hopefully we will be able to use the GM credit card on the next vehicle we buy in 2-4 years when we replace our '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We like many of the GM vehicles (our previous 4 had been GM)- just didn't like the minivans at this time.
  • 22282228 Member Posts: 2
    Check how long your GM credits are good. I think they expire after 7 years if you have kept the plan that avoids the limits toward a car purchase. Since you can only accumulate $500 a year, and you had $3500, your seven years are up.
    First of all, we had the card before there was a $500 limit per year. Secondly, you don't lose all your points after 7 years, you only lose the first years points. You just add on subsequent years points, and we will always have $3500 until we use it again. (Also, we only have 4 yrs worth of points on this one since we cashed it in 4 years ago on a Cavalier). But don't you all worry about our finances, we got it under control. (Appreciate your concern, though....)
  • 44him44him Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are in the market for a late model minivan and are seriously considering a 99 Venture LS with 32K. Have a 91 GMC Safari Van now with 113K and have been pleased with it other than its "truck-like" ride (because it is a truck). Drove a 98 Ford Windstar with 33K today and I was not impressed. It didn't have as good of a ride as the Chevy and rattled a lot. We are praying about this purchase and want it to be a good, solid, dependable van for 4 or 5 years. Family of four, 2 boys, 14 and 10. Pray for our decision. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    My 2000 Silhouette with about 11k miles has a very intermittent problem with noise interference on the radio. It sort of sounds like ignition noise. If the engine is stopped, the noise stops. I had the dealer check it out at the last oil change, but "could not duplicate" the problem. Anyone else have this problem with their GM van or car?
    Whenever looking at a secondhand auto, suggest you visit www.alldata.com. Under Service you can pull up the model year - 99 and select Chevy Truck and then Venture.

You will be able to see various tech supplements issued on this specific year...we tend to call them recalls, but some maybe advice for the mechanics in resolving certain problems. It will give you a fair idea of what happened during the model year.

With this info you can then inquire what servicing was done on the van in question you are contemplating. Service history is also important.

We have a 2000 LT 8 seat with just over 12000 miles and nothing but pure pleasure. Have rented Windstars in the past and one of the most annoying features is that the radio can be controlled from a remote location by family aka children and just drove me crazy.

Good luck.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    I shopped every minivan from Nov 99 to Jan 2000 before buying our Venture. 10,000 miles later, the car is still perfect. It's my wife's car,she loves it, and every time I drive it, I remark to myself what a pleasure it is. Power, handling, room....it's been wonderful. Go see my post at epinions.com in the 200 Venture folder, called "Family Cruise Missile" for more info.
  • rosiem2rosiem2 Member Posts: 1
    I have been driving a 97 dodge caravan for 2 years as my co. car. I received a notice that I get a new vehicle next month. But the van choice is this 2001chev. venture apv wagon 4 door ext wblo ts of equipment listed and group 1sb. Went to drive it today and surprised I liked it. But I cann't figure out what model it is. I think it is the extended cab plus. Does anyone know out there Thanks. I read all the posts and I sure hope I don't get a lemon. It comes with one year of on star.
  • bernimbernim Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a Venture 2000 redfire metallic?
    Have you had any paint problems?

Does anyone out there have a 2001 on order?
    Do you have a delivery date for it?

I am trying to get a 2001 Suburban, it is suppose to come in this color, but GM has it on constraint. I don't know why. I need to know before I wait forever and then get it and the paint peels off or something funky like that!

PLEASE HELP

:(:(:(
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    I've had one since last Thanksgiving, paint seems ok so far, have 12K miles on it and one Midwest winter!
  • tinyguytinyguy Member Posts: 44
    I currently own 2000 Venture LS (RWB), and it has the 7 passenger modular seat configuration. What I'd like to know is, is it possible to swap the 3rd raw seats to the 50/50 split bench seats? From what I have seen so far, the floor hinges look the same. The only reason I ended up with this configuration was that the salesman said they were different, and this was the only one in stock.

Thank you.
  • barbillkbarbillk Member Posts: 1
    The "service engine soon" indicator went on and when the GM dealer plugged in the computer, the feedback indicated an unspecified transmission problem. If you have experience with this problem please respond
  • bsk2gbsk2g Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 2000 Venture because of the additional rebates. I see Edmunds has no info for 2001. When I looked at the Sihouette info. for 2001, I noticed it said that the LCD was bigger. Same thing for the Venture? (dealer was clueless on the phone)
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Since the Silhouette/Venture/Montana all use identical components, it's a good guess that the Venture's LCD screen size will be increased similarily as well.

Hope this helps!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community leader/Vans Conference
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Have you tried posting this info (in your post #575) in the Edmunds.com Marketplace? It would be more appropriate there, instead of in this topic. You can do so by clicking here. All listings are free!

Good luck!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community leader/Vans Conference
  • daverosedaverose Member Posts: 233
    What is a "raw" seat? Is that a typographical error for 'row,' or is it a term for a one-piece bench seat?

It is my understanding that the seat anchors for all the GM minivans are all the same; the middle row has 12 and the last row 8.

Do I understand that your 3rd row has a single-piece bench seat? I had been under the impression that both the middle row and back row "bench" seats were both two-piece combinations that form a continuous seating surface by being placed right next to one another; that the middle row was a 40/60 and that the rear row a 50/50.

I am under the impression that dealers will be unlikely to swap seats in your situation and that they will not sell just seats so that you can change the configuration yourself. Maybe that has something to do with the seat belt configuration; maybe the bench seat belts are only the lap type attached to the (removable) seat frame, while the outside portion of the belts of the split bench are the shoulder/lap combination that are anchored to the vehicle frame. If that is true, then switching a single-piece bench for a split one would result in no shoulder/lap belts for the outside seating positions. Perhaps an auto salvage yard could help you in this regard, seats AND belts.
  • agt_cooperagt_cooper Member Posts: 202
    I think you got it right in your assessment of seating and seatbelts in the GM vans.

That is why we hunted for an 8 passenger version when we bought our Montana. It gives the most flexible arrangment and the most options.
  • ravenrichravenrich Member Posts: 6
    Bought 2000 LT mid August and just returned from vacation at the beach. Spent 47 minutes(unsuccessfully) trying to put rear seats(2) back in....any suggestions?
  • 1178311783 Member Posts: 1
    step one: relax...(if I can do it,anyone--even you can)
    step two: slide the seat back as far as possible...you will need to push the gray plastic lever to allow the seat to be moved back ...
    step three:you need to line up the front "lobster-claw"-like lever with the metal bar which is attached to the floor bottom ...
    step four:push the seat in --- verify that the from lever is secured...the second lever (also in the front) should "fall into place" and align itself...
    step five ... this IMPORTANT !!! as you push the seat in... you need to PULL out the gray cloth loop to allow the rear claws to open up ...push the seat in...check to see if it is locked in...
    step six ...CELEBRATE...
    step even...post a copy of this in the glove compartment !!!
  • tinyguytinyguy Member Posts: 44
    Actually, what I have is what GM calls modular seats, where two 3rd row seats look identical to the second row seats (where there are 3 of them). Looking from the rear hatch, I see gaps between two rear seats, as they don't occupy the full width - I prefer the 50/50 split bench seats, which appears to have the same floor latch.

Perhaps I should look into scrap yard to see if any totalled Ventures' with 50/50 bench seats are sitting around...
  • candtveincandtvein Member Posts: 1
    I know that this doesn't have anything to do with the seats, but I just replaced one wheel cylinder on my 97 that I just got 1 month ago, and only has 39000 miles on it, only to have to replace the other one first thing tomorrow. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Do the foglights from the Silhouette fit in a Venture?
    All the Chevy dealers in my area claim GM have no foglights for the Venture and I need to get an aftermaket one but the ones on the Silhouette look like they should fit into the space in the bumper.
    The headlights on my Venture are the worse I have ever come across in recent years.