Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

Comments

• worsnop1worsnop1 Member Posts: 1
    In Canada, southern Ontario to be exact, there is currently no rebate offered. Instead, GMAC is offering a 3.9% APR on '99 models, or 2.9% on '98s.
  • sudburysudbury Member Posts: 1
    After doing some research to buy a Minivan for the first time, we are settling on a 1999 4 door regular wheelbase Venture or Transport after trying out and researching the competition.

I picked up one statistic that indicated that the quality of first year vehicles is about 17% below a company's average (diffferent for different makers) and builds back up afer a few years. This was a consideration in choosing a 1999 model over a 1998 - this is the third year of Venture production and most kinks should be worked out.

Question -

The standard middle seat looks pretty good, with the 60/40 split that reclines and slides back and forth.

However, we think that the 3 seat option would be more versatile over the long haul.

Comments regarding the two options would be welcome. Do you wish you had taken the 3 seat or stuck with the split bench?

Packaging Beef- Chevroet vs. Pontiac

I prefer the look of the Venture, but in order to get the three middle seat option, I have to take a $2,755 (CAN$) option package -most of which I don't want, and doesn't inlcude a CD or Cassette.

The Transport has a higher base, but includes more standard items, and 3 middle seats comes as a stand alone option.

But, the base price of the Transport is $545 higher than the base Venture + the individual options that are included with the Transport (if they could be bought as stand alones). Wow, I get to pay $545 (CDN$) for ugly body cladding and the Pontiac name. gnash, gnash, gnash.

Not much I can do about it, but it's clear that GM is segmenting with artificial manipulative packaging.
  • somethingsomething Member Posts: 10
    I am also considering buying a 99 Venture. I'm looking at the extended wheelbase with 7 Pass seating. I agree the venture seems to have the most van per $ but am very disgusted with GM's marketing and inventory on the lots. Everything is grey or tan and the lack of options drive you to a custom order. I hope GM continues the current $1000 rebate until I take delivery but who knows? GM seems to be in corporate chaos and has lost customer focus. Good luck with your ad-"venture".
  • RalleycatRalleycat Member Posts: 1
    We have been considering a Venture for some time now. I have some final questions on pricing.

What is a "PEP" vehicle?

Is the $1500 rebate still available after getting an invoice price?
  • SAhladasSAhladas Member Posts: 35
    I have the 3 seat option and really like it for the following reasons:

1) Since the seats remove individually, they are a cinch to remove, three lever flips and they carry away as easy as a suitcase (they only weigh about 35 pounds).

2) it offers the most flexibility. I recall putting 3 preople in row 3 and a grill and one person in row 3 on one trip! you can only do that with the 3 seat option.

3) You say you hardly use the 8th seat? No problem. Leave one in the garage.

Also, the oldsmobile is in the same family, and again, GM features them differently the pontiac and Chevy. Good luck.
  • kruegerkrueger Member Posts: 6
    We bought a 98 loaded Venture in May and have 10,000 miles on it. I love it! Wished I had insisted on 3 seats in the middle instead of the 2 bench seats in the middle for this simple reason:

Older people, like my Mom, like to have seats right beside the door for easy entry and exit.

I have had to take the van in for a hole in a rear shock which caused the air compressor to not turn off until I heard it pumping and turned it off manually.

Also, the power door does not work now because the module went out on it 2 weeks ago. It has been more than a week since they ordered the part, but I haven't been called to bring it back yet. (I think, knowing what I know now,I would have by-passed the power door because those doors open & close manually very very easily.) I also would have preferred the power door on my side where I usually head when leaving the grocery store.

I still like the vehicle,23-26 mpg. Smooth riding and lots and lots of room. I think I will be glad I have the Front Traction option this winter in the Ozarks.
  • VentureManVentureMan Member Posts: 39
    If you are interested in purchasing a 1999 Venture, and you do not plan on purchasing the available second row captain chairs, I would get the 8 passenger seating.

I visit family a couple hundred miles away, and when we get there, it will be nice to have seating for three more people. Right now, we must take two cars for everyone to to go on short trips after we arrive.

Since the back seats flip and fold forward out of the way, I will be able to load up the whole back end with luggage, bikes, etc., (sounds like the load leveling option is a must), and have the three extra seats available after we arrive, unpack, and flip the back seats back into place.

With the three middle seats, my children will all fit and the whole back end will be available for all the junk (just short of the kitchen sink) that we bring with us.

Best of luck,

VentureMan
  • 19531953 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 98 Venture LS- 4 captains chairs. my 2 kids are just far enough apart on long drives for the wife and i to keep sane! List on this van was 28,045-we paid 25,500 and had the deal done in 30 minutes.

Im looking for mud flaps that are made for Venture. Anyone found a website for minivan acessories ?
  • okiesueokiesue Member Posts: 1
    We're looking at 99 Ventures, but neglected to notice if they had rear air. I can't find anything that says they do. If anyone has one can you tell me and if it doesn't have it how is the ventilation in the back?
    For the extended cab GMs this is a feature. I don't believe it is available on the short one.
  • scottbuseyscottbusey Member Posts: 27
    You guys are smart. Venture is a real nice, though sometimes overlooked, minivan.

Enjoy!
    The Side impact crash ratings of the GM minivans came out quite good:

4 STAR for Front seat side impact;
    5 STAR for rear seat side impact.

It will be interesting to see how well the other minivans perform in this test. A 5 star rating for rear seats is very good news as this is where children will be seated. Sounds like a very safe minivan for children. The front impact is okay, but certainly has room for improvement.

I was reading Consumer Reports and noticed that the predicted reliability rating of the GM minivans has improved from -86, reported in 1998, to -25. A -20 score is considered average. When
    three model years are included in their survey, I would expect another improvement. It sounds like GM is paying attention to reported problem areas.

Go American!
    Hello everyone,

I've got to go and wont be (posting) back until Jan 04, 1999. I've enjoyed my conversation and point of arguments with all you folks. Hope everyone gets the minivan of their choice during the next two weeks. I will find out when I come back.

I will have my NEW Chevy Venture by Jan 04, 1999.

As always...

Best of luck,

VentureMan
  • holyguyholyguy Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new 1999 Venture Van LS loaded. We got a great deal from our local dealer. It rides well and the finish is not cheap. Safety? Sure enough we have heard all the clatter. Yet, a vehicle is only as safe as you drive it. The best way is defensively.

We really like the van, the dealership, and the financing through GM Canada.

So take a closer look, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  • dwangyahoodwangyahoo Member Posts: 12
    Hi All,

I just bought a 3dr base Venture last weekend.
    It was the lowest trim level except for the addition of a cassette radio. I paid $21200 out the door with 0.9% 36 month financing w/ zero down. ($1000 rebate is not available in CA) Now I just heard about some $500 loyal GM customer rebate.

I have an '86 Nova...am I too late to get the $500?

Only problem so far is a slight, but annoying, steering pull to the right.
  • waltermwalterm Member Posts: 3
    Me Again,

A quick trip to the Chevy home page tells me that the $1,000 rebate (or 2.9% financing) on '99 Ventures has been extended (if I remember correctly, through the end of March).

This makes me less suspicious, but still leaves me wondering.
  • tiger9tiger9 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Walt,

My dealer only list 17999, not the 16999. I will take it if you could get that price. Let me know if you get the van, I am also considering that van.

thanks.
    Walt,

Don't forget the dealer's got a 3% holdback and
    another $500 dealer incentive. Of course, he's
    not obliged to share these incentives with you.
    Also, make sure the 16999 includes the $580 dest.
    charge. My deal of $21200 OTD was actually $300
    below invoice by my calculations. My Venture had
    some fit & finish flaws and 125 miles.
    Walt,

One more thing, the power door and AC are are
    not options. They are standard even on the base
    model, as are 2 side air bags and anti-lock
    brakes.

I believe the van you're looking at is like mine,
    minus the (radio w/ cassette).
    The MSRP would be $20745 + $580(dest. charge) =
    $21325

Anyone with tips on a slight steering pull to
    the right?
    Hello All,

First off, thanks to everyone who replied.

It was just a case of an overzealous salesman. When I called him back, he said my deal wasn't enough. In fairness to him, he was a good guy just doing his job. He even told me, right there on a Chevy lot, that he bought a Caravan!

However, I just received a call from a Plymouth salesman I had visited earlier, and he found a new 1988 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE that he says I can have for $17,000 + my car - off the lot.

Here we go again.

Walt.

p.s. I couldn't find anything on this website about rebates or incentives for the 1998 models. Anyone have any news?
    Hello Again,

Sorry, my brain apparently has a Y2K problem. It's a NEW 1998 van, not a new, 10 year old 1988 van.

Walt.
    HELLLLPPPP!!
    Does anyone have the correct (if there is such a thing) GM Venture rebate info. So far I've seen the current $1000 rebate expires on Jan 31, Feb 28 and the end of March. On top of that, one of the above threads says there may be $500 loyalty rebate. Does anyone have the correct story?
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    The Chevrolet site says the $1000 on 1999 Ventures expires 31MAR1999. Generally, rebates are not available in CA,OR,WA, & ID, only low financing.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    WalterM and something,

Click here to see Edmund's list of incentives and rebates available.

Hope this helps!

KarenS/Vans
    Just took delivery of a 99 Venture. Had to custom order to get one with Teal interior. The interior color looks great except for one thing....the roof (headliner) is grey!! GM is putting grey roofs with Teal interiors and it looks absolutely rediculous.

I called the GM Customer Assistance and was told a Teal roof comes with the Teal interior but the dealer says no it doesn't.

I need data.....has anyone out there purchased/seen a 99 Venture with Teal interior and Teal roof?

All responses welcome as I'm trying to find out if GM has even bothered to make a Teal interior roof.
    THX
    I own a 1999 Olds Silhouette, dark teal exterior, teal leather interior (built in November 1998.) The headliner is grey as in your Venture. I like the look (to each his own) and think that a teal headliner might make the van very dark inside. If you have someone at GM telling you that your van should have a teal headliner, then it should, and you are entitled to a replacement headliner of the proper color. A new headliner is a lot of work and takes skilled workers to get it right, so if you have it done make sure the people that will do the job are experienced. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

P.S. See if you can get GM to put the color info in writing to show
    Thx for the response. You are confirming my feeling that GM doesn't even make a teal headliner. The dealer is still researching headliner part numbers but all 30+ Ventures on their lot have grey headliners. I suspect the GM Assistance rep I spoke to gave her "opinion" and not a fact.

I'll post an update when it is resolved (one way or the other).

Again....thx.
    FYI - I have all of the build sheets (computer print-outs) for my Silhouette and the headliner is called out in 2 places (trim & IP line) as 8712. The only pictures in the 1999 brochure are of the tan interior (w/tan headliner). Your build sheets should be the same (there are places for Chevy emblems & Pontiac mouldings on mine.) It is also possible that a teal headliner was planned but never built, or that some were produced but did not meet specs for some reason at the time that our vans were built. My van was built on Thursday, 05 November, 1998.
  • dnawezdnawez Member Posts: 1
    Hi, this is our first post. I have read all the posts in this area and a few of the other areas. We saw a '98 Venture (extended), with 16,500 miles. It was not fully loaded, but had enough features. The price on the tag was $18,900. Its history was that it was used as rental vehicle. We've done some price checking here and at Kelley Blue Book, and this seems to be a reasonable price. What do you think? We haven't driven it yet, but are scheduled to this weekend.

Any input will be greatly appreciated

DNAWEZ
    Thx for the info.

How did you get the build sheets for your van?

The dealer told me today that GM says there are no teal headliners and all headliners are grey.

I'll call the 1-800 line and ask them for the teal part number and see what I get.

More later.
    The build sheets are shipped with the van. The dealer would normally toss them as part of the prep work before delivery. I asked my dealer to save them for me as I like to keep detailed records on my cars (like exactly when they were built.) My dealer called me when my van was delivered (before prep) and I was able to inspect it straight off the truck (interior still wrapped in plastic, tape head lock still in the radio, etc.) After all, when you pay ~$25000 it is nice to know that everything is right. We had ordered our van in July 1998 (before 1999 prices had even been set, while the strike was still on), and had told the salesman at that time that we wanted to do the pre-prep inspection and to save the build sheets. Our dealer (Jim Keil in Grass Valley,CA) is first rate, both sales and service, so my being this picky was not a problem (they seemed to enjoy dealing
    #0 of 1: Chevy venture (davec5) Sat 20 Feb '99 (04:02 PM)

I am looking at mini-vans for the first time. One
    that has intrigued me is the Chevy venture. It
    seems to offer a good package for the cost and I
    have to confess I even think it is cosmetically
    appealing (hard to believe for a mini-van!)....I'd
    like to hear from some venture owners. Give me
    your opinions - good or bad ! You can Email me at
    davec@toast.net or post them here. Thanks.
  • chipschips Member Posts: 1
    I got a new 98 Venture in Sep 98. Am looking for anyone with a Service Engine Soon light problem. Mine was on and off on a trip to Florida over the holidays. Was more prevalent as the trip went on. Doesn't happen with trips around town though or even a 2 hr drive a week ago. I'm sure it'll happen on my next long vacation drive though. Dealer won't replace anything without the light on to read the code. The history code is not specific enough. I already contacted one guy with a similar problem in one of these Venture topic areas and got good info but I'd love to have more.
    My 99 Venture has only ~1500 miles and ever since the beginning it had this cyclic noise that varies with the rpm. I hear it while idling because there's no road noise. I don't know what a valve noise sounds like so I can't say it's that. But basically it's a cyclic noise that varies with the rpm that sounds like the noise that old cars' engines make. It accelerates and drives fine, though. I heard about fuel rails making cyclic noises, can this be it?
  • b986b986 Member Posts: 1
    Chips,
    I own a 97 4dr Venture. Had the service engine light start blinking on me during a really cold snap here in Vermont. Owners manual and service center advised was a fuel mixture warning. Added a can of dry gas and tank of high test with detergent and everything went back to normal. Was told by a GM tech during cold weather impurities in gas will cause some computers to activate this light. Don't have an explaination for southern climates like yours though.
  • sld1sld1 Member Posts: 12
    106 of 107: Need warranty w/ Venture? (sld1) Mon 15 Mar '99 (07:58 AM)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not I should get an extended warranty if I buy a 99 Venture Extended? I know the warranty is a MUST
    HAVE for a Caravan/Voyager and probably a waste of
    good money with a Toyota/Honda/Nissan. But I don't know about Chevrolet. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

#107 of 107: Need advice on options (sld1) Thu 18 Mar '99 (02:20 PM)

Am working with Auto-by-tel, looking at two 1999
    Venture Extended LS vans. Need some advice.

Could live with 1st option he gave me. But 2nd
    option has self-sealing tires, touring suspension
    group and power sliding door added to it (and loses rear audio which I don't care about). It's and extra $705 (plus tax).

My question is, are those three extra options
    worth it? I'm up for the tires and suspension
    group. Have concern about power door because when I test drove one, the door acted up, wouldn't open
    and then wouldn't close, alarm went off for no
    apparent reason. I'm wondering if it would be more
    of a headache than it's worth, one more thing to go wrong.

Need advice/opinions ASAP please. Thanks a bunch
    for your help!
    Well, from a statistical point of view, warrentees are are never a good deal since whoever sells you the warrentee plans on average to spend less on repairs then the amount they made selling you the warrantee. I think this boils down to your personal comfort level. I don't necessarily agree
    with your statement about honda/toyota/nissan, but toyota does give alonger warrentee (72K miles?) on the power train if memory serves me correct.

As for the options on your venture, if you are negotiating sight unseen, I would ask the dealer to fax the window sticker (or invoice) to make sure he has everything right. I though rear audio implied the 2nd AC compressor also, but maybe this is applicable to pontiac/olds only. As for the power doors, do a search here on edmunds and I think you will find frequent problems from almost all manufacturers.
  • petitpetit Member Posts: 4
    Thirteen arrested in drug
    sting at GM assembly
    plant in Georgia

March 21, 1999

Associated Press

DORAVILLE, Ga. -- Thirteen employees of
    a General Motors assembly plant have been
    arrested for allegedly selling drugs to an
    undercover police officer who spent 18
    months posing as a co-worker.

The workers were arrested Thursday and
    Friday at the plant 12 miles northeast of
    Atlanta.

"We pretty much caught them by surprise,"
    said Doraville police Col. Clifford Edwards.
    "They had no idea what was coming."

Edwards said the officer gained the trust of
    employees while working among them on the
    plant's assembly line before purchasing
    cocaine, marijuana, methamphetamines and
    bootleg whiskey.

More drugs were found after police dogs
    searched the cars and lockers of GM
    employees.

GM cooperated with police, giving the officer
    a job and providing money for him to make
    drug purchases, Edwards said.

The plant has about 4,000 workers and
    assembles four models of minivans.
    #0 of 1: (minivanfool) Sun 02 May '99 (07:33 PM)

I've been reading the Town Hall for weeks, and
    haven't seen much (good or bad) relating to the
    Chevy Venture. I have seen topics on the Montana, and while same van, just want opinions from Venture owners. I've been looking at purchasing for 6 weeks, and have moved from the Sienna (too small) to the Venture. Let me know your experiences with your van! Thanks.
  • mbrowersmbrowers Member Posts: 3
    We're also considering the Venture and would appreciate some input (good/bad) from others.
    Thanks.
  • nillabeannillabean Member Posts: 2
    I'll throw my hat in the ring here for input on the Venture as well---we are considering one to replace our 1993 Aerostar (134K miles with dead a/c). Thanks ahead of time for the info!!
    Well, except for suspension tuning, finishing details and feature group, they are they same van, so there is no reason to think the Pontiac or Olds
    info will not apply.
  • davy1davy1 Member Posts: 3
    For those looking for Venture feedback. We have had our 99 extended Venture since late October. We love it. The two biggest problems have been:
    1) on trip over Christmas holidays we awoke at the hotel to a snowy rain mixture. The windshield wipers would not clean up the mess. We stopped at a Chevy dealer in a small PA town who replaced the wiper blades and assembly (20 minutes). It appears that my blades were left overs and were already old rubber. PS- this dealer was great helping us.
    2) our power door was acting up (not closing) in Nov-Jan timeframe. To close we needed to hold the door as it moved into the frame. This little added pressure was enough to make it work. Every time I tried to get it to the dealer it would work perfectly so they did not want to adjust it at that time. The problem has not come back since Jan. (We live in eastern PA). Perhaps the humidity/temperature combo affected it.
    My kids still think the the power door is the greatest. They also get a big kick out of the rear audio.

The only other problem is that the plastic cover around the base of the seatbelt strap on the last row passenger side catches on the seat frame as you move the seat forward and back. This has put a tear in the plastic cover that catches and hinders your moving the seat. A minor inconvenience and not a safety hazard. I will have it replaced when I take the van to the dealer in the future.

Both Chevy dealers that I have dealt with for the Van have been fantastic. Much better than my prior few years dealings with Olds and Acura dealers.

If we needed to purchase another minivan today, no question it would be the same exact vehicle.
  • nillabeannillabean Member Posts: 2
    davy1~~Thanks for the input, we brought our new Venture home yesterday and we are confident that we made the right choice to replace our 1993 Ford Aerostar with this van. After many dealers and many different test-drives, the Venture just fit our needs perfectly. Thus far, the dealer has been great, too. Hope that lasts!! LOL
  • sld1sld1 Member Posts: 12
    I agree with you - when I was in the market for a van, and even since I bought my Venture the end of March ($100 over invoice, 0% for 36 mos) there just hasn't been much info here about this van. At 1st I wondered why. Then I figured that "no news is good news". If there were problems with this van, you can bet there'd be plenty of people here talking about it (see Chrysler and Ford vans!).
    I decided that the Venture is just sort of boring for some reason, but a decent quality van. I got the extended version with 8-seat option and have been very happy with it. Kids like it too and other adults who've ridden with me in front seat or in middle seat say it is comfortable with lots of room.
    Re: comment above about sliding door - I just within the past week got a notice in the mail to take my new van back to the dealer so they could make a change to the door. I personally haven't had any problems with it, but apparently a problem has been identified and they're going to fix it.
    I went with Venture because: Honda too expensive and didn't really like it (too big on outside with not so much room inside); Sienna and Quest too small; Windstar and the Caravan/Voyager have too much history of quality problems. The Venture is not quite as roomy as the Grand Caravan/Voyager, but seems to be built better.
    Another major plus for me with the Venture was that you can get the 8-seat option which isn't available in any other minivan that I know of. Being involved with sports and scouts, the ability to fit one more kid in (esp since they can't sit in the front seat) is very important.
    I think I made the right decision for me (time will tell re: quality). Good luck with your decisions!
  • xray731xray731 Member Posts: 1
    In 1993 when we purchased our Ford Aerostar - we got a great deal on one that had been used by the dealer for test drives with only 6,500 miles on it. The invoice was marked NEW.I'm now interested in a new Venture but after calling GM Card - I was told they didn't think I could redeem my card $ on such a vehicle and to check with a dealer. Has anyone used their $ on such a vehicle?
  • cmwalshcmwalsh Member Posts: 1
    Seriously looking at the extended four door version and wanted to ask a few questions on options and such.

1) Seems most people are happy with the 8 passenger seating so I'll go with that.

2) Is the rear A/C standard on this model (4 door extended)?

3) On the dealer hold back (3%) and the current incentive I see in the papers in NJ ($1,500), do I deduct both of these amounts from the total MSRP or what?

4) I guess on the options I really would only like to get rear A/C (if not standard)and the power back vent windows (for convenience purposes) but it looks as if I have to spend a couple of grand to do that via the option package. Any suggestions?

Think I'll stay away from the power option door if possible. Mother in Law has it on her 98 Silouette(sp?) and has had problems. Anyway, the kids are young and strong so they can open it manually!

Any input is greatly appreciated. Hopping to buy in mid July off a lot somewhere.
  • sah1sah1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the invoice price goes down or if it is easier to get a good deal as the year goes on? We are looking at a '99 Venture and the 2000's have already been ordered.

Also, is $23,000 a good price for a '99 4 door extended Venture with a preferred equip. group 1SB package with luggage carrier?

Any imput would be appreciated.
  • carol1carol1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking long and hard at the venture and have contacted autobytel rep. in my area.
    The rep. has stated that it will cost me $100. more to get a van if he has to do a dealer trade.

My question is: Is that a legit charge or is that part of doing business?
    I know that dealer trades are done all the time. But is normal to charge the customer for this service?

Also the rep stated that current incentives and fin. are good through Sept. I thought that the current exp. date is 7/30/99. I would hate to take the dealers word and loose out on 0% for 36 months. But then again I also want to get what I want and not just buy something to beat a dead line.
    Has anyone else heard anything about deadline for current incentives? Edmunds states 7/30/99.
  • priefxpriefx Member Posts: 1
    Looking for pricing info on Y2K Venture extended van? Plan to buy in Sept. W/1SB Option and rear air. Also want to know if GM will still offer 0% financing for 36 mo. on 2000 models again?