Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Venture

mumbly6mumbly6 Member Posts: 1
Thinking of buying a Venture. Aside from crash
test reports, any pro and con on this van would be
appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• jessfeldmanjessfeldman Member Posts: 11
    Here is my $.02. This sleeper van has all the features the other vans should put in: power slider door (remote,too!), split, fold and tumble rear seats that also slide back and forth, steering wheel radio controls. This van must have been designed by a mom. Lots of cargo room. Both front seats can be powered. Outside temp indicator. One of the best drives around. Middle windows open. You can get one probably cheap because they have such a bad rep.

Cons: try tilting the second row captain's chair forward - you have to hold it up (as compared to T&C, it hydraulically lifts and stays). All the talk about cheap, loose interior plastic is true. The crash tests - but remember the new side impact bags for 1998. Reliability - Consumer reports just named the GM trio the most unreliable cars out there.

Good luck.
  • melismelis Member Posts: 7
    We are in the process of buying a '98 Venture EWB Malchite Metallic with the 1SH package, CD, 2nd Row Captains Chairs. We have test drove this van twice as well as the other vans, Dodge, Plymouth, Ford & liked the Venture the best. We didn't find anything cheap about the interior & it drove quieter than the other vans. So far we haven't had much luck with the Auto By Tel Rep - he keeps wanting to sell us a bunch of extras that we don't want and/or need. We've managed to get one dealer to agree to $300 over dealer invoice but I haven't gotten a dealer invoice print out from him. We figured that we could get this van for around $23,400 which is around $2200 savings + we get the low interest financing thru GMAC. Good luck mumbly6 on your van!!
  • padekenpadeken Member Posts: 1
    looking to purchase a
    98 venture soon ,could
    use help with any info
    on vehicle from owners
    ,drivers etc..why the
    bad rap from consumer
    report`s on that
    model(what actually is
    wrong with this model)
  • kruegerkrueger Member Posts: 6
    To Padekan or to anyone wanting more info than what is shown in these two different topics on Chevy Ventures:
    Click on the blue name to find email address to write people who were looking for a Venture a few months ago. You can see what they have found out thru experience.
  • scottbuseyscottbusey Member Posts: 27
    I have a '98 Trans Sport Montana with about 2,500 miles on it and I love it. No problems, no adjustments, no nothing. Most parts are the same as the Chevy Venture. Car&Driver selected the Trans Sport over the Windstar, Caravan, and Sienna as best overall mini-van. In my opinion, the Venture is one of the best bang-for-the-buck buys going now.

CR just happens to love imports. I don't know of any complaints about '98 GM mini-vans, but go look at the Sienna board...loads of problems! I think we're dealing with mythology here.

Go to MSN.CARPOINT.COM and find the CarPointAutoPricer for the same info your dealer uses about options & prices. You can also buy through Carpoint at about Invoice + 3% if you like.

Feel free to email me at scottbusey@hotmail.com for further discussion if you like.

Enjoy!
  • shadowfaxshadowfax Member Posts: 1
    We have a 97 Venture extended with about 8000 miles on it. We have had minor problems, broken seat, brakes squeeled (they replaced the pads, moisture in the headlight (they replaced it) and
    Firestone couldn't align the wheels due to a problem. However, it is a very nice minivan that
    drives well, handles nicely and is very roomy. I
    would recommend it because the price was affordable. I purchased it at $100 over invoice
    in Atlanta.
  • Imashmo2Imashmo2 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone considering these vans should look at NHTSA or insurance institute for highway safety web site. They are dangerous according to crash tests.
  • SAhladasSAhladas Member Posts: 35
    Errrr, dangerous might be a little overstatement. Might be better to say they did poorly on the offset test. Be sure to read GMs response to this
    teseting, and the response to GMs response. These vans did OK in the government sanctioned full frontal test. For that matter are they the only minivan with side airbags? But I guess since there was no side impact test done on these vans, the side airbags don't make it any safer!
    Sounds like somebody is not happy when GM delivers a product that outshines the rest... Ralphie, is that you?

Buy one and don't crash it! You should only crash rental cars. Plan ahead.

Love my Trans Sport, and you guys goofing around with unofficial crash tests do not impress me.

Enjoy!
  • SeabrookSeabrook Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 98 Venture about 2 months ago.
    Loaded with all the bells and whistles except
    for the power sliding doors. At 3800 miles we
    can say we love it! No problems at all. An easy
    vehicle to drive, great gas mileage, and very
    comfortable on the long hauls. Will report back
    when we're at 138,000 miles!
    TO: Seabrook,

Same with my Trans Sport. Congratulations!

Enjoy!
  • kjliftonkjlifton Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a white 98 Venture loaded with
    all the options including the power sliding door -
    which is great. Wish they had it on the other
    door. Only a few miles on it. I recommend that
    anyone considering a Sienna or Chrysler product
    consider it 00 if you can find one
  • hypermanhyperman Member Posts: 6
    George Parker is VP for Engineering Affairs
    for the Association of International Automobile
    Manufactures. Speaking on behalf of carmakers, he told Dateline the Insurance Institute a.k.a.(IIHS) test simulates an accident so fast, so severe, it almost never happens.“For a particular driver,” said Parker, “how many miles will they have to drive to have that type of crash, how many years of driving?
    Sixty-five thousand years of driving. That’s how
    rare this is.
  • hypermanhyperman Member Posts: 6
    George Parker is VP for Engineering Affairs
    for the Association of International Automobile
    Manufactures. Speaking on behalf of carmakers, he told Dateline the Insurance Institute a.k.a.(IIHS) test simulates an accident so fast, so severe, it almost never happens.“For a particular driver,” said Parker, “how many miles will they have to drive to have that type of crash, how many years of driving?
    Sixty-five thousand years of driving. That’s how
    rare this is.
    source: Dateline
  • jaguar3jaguar3 Member Posts: 2
    Here... Consumer Reports people. Ok, here's what happened: a LWB Olds Silhouette was going on a road at 60 MPH on a dark two-lane road. A 2-door Chevy Beretta was coming the other way at 70 MPH. They collided head-on. The front-end of the Silhouette basically go mangled, but the Beretta got flipped off the road into a ditch and it was all mangled. The driver of the Silhouette was treated and released for minor cuts and bruises. However, the Beretta driver was killed instantly.

Bottom Line: Gm minis not safe, quackery!
    We bought the red Venture, loaded, with trailer tow, 2 months ago and now have 3800 miles. It is fun to drive. Its gas mileage is anywhere from 23.3 to 28.3 (mostly country Ozarks driving. I, too, wish the power sliding door was on my (the driver's side) for easier loading, but I STILL like the power door, especially for my 85-yr old mother, and for the children.

Inside dash plastics rattle a little on rock road, but I can tolerate it because it drives wonderfully. We have had no trouble with it. Praise God and thanks to GM. Paid $23,000 without a trade-in. I even got to sleep in it on the floor one night (moving the seats out of my way) while my husband was in hospital thus saving a motel bill.
    It's a RED Venture not a read Venture. Sorry
    The Chevy Venture is a real sleeper of a deal. Some people are not looking at them, and will regret this as time passes.

Enjoy!
  • tomp1tomp1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 97 Venture with 15k miles on it. We have had a couple of minor issues that required dealer repairs (the emergency brake cable was too long and started rubbing making a funny noise, and the HVAC vents disconnected and needed to be reconnected). Other than that we love the vehicle. Still drives great and hasn't developed any significant rattles etc.

See my post on GM minivans to understand why Consumer Reports data may not be nearly as useful as they seem to think it is.
    We can't find a factory who makes fiberglass running boards of the 98 Venture. Can you post a company's name and phone number here, if you know of one, please? Thank you.
  • cardude1cardude1 Member Posts: 1
    Am considering a Chevy Venture for purchase today, so any quick info on Pros and Cons would be very helpful!!

Also any negative experiences anyone made have had regarding reliability or repairs.
    Quick Feedback!! - Go for it. Get the Touring Suspension/Load Leveling package if you can.

Enjoy!
  • emonacoemonaco Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Venture. I've had few problems with it. It handles well in the snow. I suggest the 4 door model. The seat removal is simple but not as easy as they say. It handles well for a big vehicle. Also, the gas mileage is good.
  • ron14ron14 Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a 98' venture but it hasn't arrived to the dealer yet. We were wondering about the tires. It comes with General tires size P215/70R15. I have a set of BF Goodrich T/A P215/65R15. If we put them on how will that effect the performance. I know they are a little wider. will they rub on the front fender when we turn a corner?
    To:ron14

I would not be in a hurry to swap tires. If you ordered the Touring/Leveling suspension you will be pleased with the ride. My Trans Sport came with General's that are self sealing for punctures. You might want to find out if that's the case for your General's as well.

It's a nice ride - Enjoy!
  • TWKTWK Member Posts: 1
    Hi! We are looking at the '98 Chevy Venture and think it's a good value. We're like the extended 4 dr model and are trying to decide on the second row captains chairs vs. the 3 modular seats in the second row ... any advice? Likes/dislikes one way or the other?
    So far, everyone who has ridden in the back seat on the regular bench seats say they are comfortable and the tall ones like the extra leg room. I wish we had ordered 3 seats for the middle row so our family members could get in and out easier from both sides. (The seat is right by the door so they don't have to crawl over.) The seats are very very easy to remove. The sliding doors on either side open so easy that if I had thought more about it, I may not have ordered the power door. (That is the side that the seat is NOT close to the door.)
    We have 7000 miles on our extended 98 Venture.
    Took it to Minn., putting on about 2600 miles. We
    pulled a 16' boat with 40hp motor--3 of us and
    gear. And it did just fine. Love that front
    traction. Average mpg 22.3-24.

Coming back, we heard air compressor running after
    turning off motor. Had to pull out fuse so
    compressor (pump) wouldn't burn up. Took it to
    dealer, and they found a hole in one of the rear
    shocks, so installed new one. Faulty factory
    shock.

The "service engine soon" light went on on the way
    to get shock installed. (I praised God that it
    was on the way TO the service department!)
    One cylinder misfiring--I could feel it, but they
    cleaned the fuel injectors and everything is okay
    again.

I still like the car--lots and lots of room and
    good gas mileage.
  • ron14ron14 Member Posts: 2
    To scottbusey:

We got our van last saturday and I must say it's Great. It doesn't have the Touring/leveling suspension. That along with the Theft alarm is the only options that it it doesn't have. Seems with the low intrest rates and incentives that their offering it's getting hard to find just what you want but were very happy with what we have. Sandrift w/netural int. just the color we wanted. I will check out if the tires are self sealing. I've still got the Goodrich T/A's. Kind of thought I would use them and save the General's for when I trade it off in a couple years. I'll keep you updated.

Later.....Van on !!!!
    TO:TWK

I agree with your choices, but add the Touring/Leveling suspension if at all possible. It really makes a difference with varying loads.

Enjoy!
  • VentureManVentureMan Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone have information to changes or improvements to the 1999 Venture? I am hoping they will have new color choices and 8 passenger
    seating (as TransSport does). I'm afraid that the
    TransSport body cladding will start to rattle after a few years and don't want to take the chance. I read "Gator's" response and would like to know more, and what his resources are. I have not been able to find anything on the 1999.

How about the second generation door? Gator, are
    you out there?
  • msteve22msteve22 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings,
    I am beginning the search for a new mini-van and will take a close look at a fully loaded, 4dr Chevy Venture. My concern is the 3.4L/180 HP/V-6 engine that is standard in the Venture. I live in the Denver area and spend time up in the Rocky Mountains so I am concerned about engine power for this van. Will the '99 model have a 3.8L as an option? Any comments and real life experiences would be appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to reading your comments!
    TO:msteve22

I have the Trans Sport with the same engine, and it's plenty powerful @ 180 hp and good transmission gearing. Personally if I lived in the Rockies, I'd add the towing package to get extra cooling (superstition, no problems noted), and I would ALWAYS get the Touring/Leveling suspension option.

In any event, the Venture is a great choice!

Enjoy!
    I thought I would ask once again in case anyone has found out anything new about the 1999 Ventures.

Does anyone have information to changes or improvements to the 1999 Venture? I am hoping they will have new color choices and 8 passenger
    seating (as Montana does). I'm afraid that the
    Montana body cladding will start to rattle after a few years and don't want to take the chance. I read "Gator's" response and would like
    to know more, and what his resources are. I have
    not been able to find anything on the 1999.

How about the second generation door?
    Gator, are you out there?

Thanks a lot.

VentureMan
    Total Ventures sold for the 1998 model year is 99,442. Total U.S. GM minivan sales for 1998 model year is 193,522.

VentureMan
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Edmund's info and review of the 1999 Chevy Venture is now available.

1999 Chevrolet Venture Base 3-Door

1999 Chevrolet Venture Base 4-Door

1999 Chevrolet Venture Base Extended 4-Door

KarenS/roving host
  • atratr Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the market for a 1999 Venture LT. I live in Suburban DC, so I have many dealers in MD, DC, and VA to choose from. A few questions for everybody.

I've calculated the dealer invoice for the vehicle to be 25,220 (Base + Dest. Charge + 1SD Package). The holdback amounts to 840 which is 3% of the MSRP of 28,025.

Question 1: Those of you out there that paid x dollars over invoice, is that including the holdback or not?

Question 2: Is 1000 over true invoice (inv. - holdback) reasonable?

Question 3: Has anyone had experience in the DC area with buying a vehicle in DC or VA and registering in MD? Will I have to pay any extra taxes or registration because I'm buying in a different state than I'm registering?

Question 4: Anyone have any dealer recommendations?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!
    The Venture is a good choice, but get the "Load Leveling/Touring Suspension" also.

I don't live around DC any more, but 15 years ago I moved from WV to MD, and had to pay tax on the car when I got the MD title - any title in MD was treated as a sale & required taxes.

Enjoy!
    We will be buying a 1999 Venture within the next 6-8 months. I've gone to the pricing list & noticed that none of the prices are listed for the options. Why is that? How can I determine exactly what its going to cost me if I can't figure out the options cost?

Thanks for any help

Melissa
    Edmunds does not currently have the options pricing for 99 Ventures, but I have found a site that does.

www.autosite.com currently has all the 99 pricing. Check it out.

I'm still looking for an LT in the DC area, anyone seen one in white or carmine red metallic??
    If you're in the market for a 99 Venture, I've got good news. As of 1:00pm EDT today, Chevrolet is offering $1000 cash back on 99 Ventures. I called the salesman I've dealing with the past week, and he told me the good news.

We're still working out the final details, but I think I'm getting a pretty good deal. Now if I could just settle with the Insurance company of the idiot that totalled our Grand Caravan I'll complete the deal.

I'll post again when the deal is final.
    Where did you find out that Checy was giving $1000 cash rebates on 1999 Chevy Ventures? I will be buying this, or a Pontiac Montana before year end and was wondering for how long these rebates would be offered.

Hope to hear from you,

VentureMan
  • forest2forest2 Member Posts: 1
    Ventureman:

GM is now offering a $1,000 CASH REBATE for ALL
    their 1999 minivans (Silhouette, Montana & Venture) good up to 12/31/98. I got this info
    from my dealer since I am trying to buy a 1999
    Olds Silhouette. I then sent an e-mail to the
    Olds website and received confirmation regarding
    this. Hope this helps!!!
    I finally purchased the 99 Venture that I had been looking at. The $1000 incentive made it much easier. I see forest2 already answered VentureMan's question for me.

I ended up with a 99 LS in Dark Teal Metallic. It had every option that comes standard with the LT, the 8-passenger seating, and the self-sealing tires (wife's request). Why they just didn't call it an LT I couldn't tell you. We paid $100 over invoice, not including the dealer holdback. With the 1k cash back, I thought it was a great deal.

I've had to return to replace a defective battery already, and I hope that is the last problem I will encounter. Wish me luck!!
    TO: atr

Enjoy your new Venture! Take time to understand the reduced maintenance schedule. Many things we once did to keep a car nice aren't required with the GM Minivans (sealed tranny, permanent coolant, super-duty drive belt, etc.).
    Safty IS important.

But lets keep it in perspective. The chances of a minivan driver getting into a real bad accident is next to zero; for injury rates, see href="http://www.carsafety.org/ictl7.htm"
    For death rates, see href="http://www.carsafety.org/ddr7.htm".

There are so many features and considerations that each of us must consider before making a significant purchase ( close to $30k after taxes).
    To eliminate a choice simply on the basis of one
    crash test --that is least likely to happen to a
    minivan driver-- is paranoid. And the injuries
    from a frontal crash will only pertain to adults
    (children should not ride in the front seat).

All Volvo owners I have met are safty paranoid.
    They are willing to settle for a smaller and more
    expensive (and in my opinion, ugly) vehicle with
    great safty engineered into them. But death rates
    for Volvos are not any better the the GM minivans
    href="http://www.carsafety.org/ddr2.htm".

So Volvo is one of the most safe cars on the road
    and yet its injury and deaths are no better than
    minivans.

Buy a minvan because it meets your needs and
    likes, and not because of false hysteria.

Best of luck,

VentureMan
    I have a question on the $1,000 rebate, is that in lieu of the low interest financing that GMAC is offering? I know that Dodge will either give you low interest financing or the rebate. I talked to a salesman last week about a '98 Venture LS & he mentioned GMAC had the 3.9% for 60 months right now. Never did hear back from the salesman as to what the price would be on a '98 so I'll go to another dealer that wants to sell me a van.

Thanks alot for your help. :)
    TO: melis:

Look at this and see if it helps:
    http://www.gmbuypower.com/buypower/home.html
  • somethingsomething Member Posts: 10
    I've been told the rebate on 98 Ventures is $1500 until December 31, 1998. I understand the rebate OR low financing is available. I also understand the rebate is good only on the day of delivery. If you take delivery (even on a confirmed order)after the expiration of a rebate period, GM and the dealer will not stand behind it. Make sure you get a guaranteed price in writing you are happy with and understand the deal you make.