Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• Options
    ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    Larry:

I agree on the button on the back for the rear hatch and a better release for the emergency brake.
    I am also pleased at how manevrable this vehicle is and how it keeps its feet planted on some very rough road.
    AS to the gas mileage, I am getting 17 to 18 mpg in suburban driving, about what I expected.

Ed
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    I would like to have a lockable gas door, a better design front cup holders and an instrument panel that show both trip and total mileage at the same time.
  • Options
    The door jamb lists the max GVW and 36 psi front and rear. Does that mean you should run 36 psi if you are carrying max load? What if you have a light load most of the time? Can you run lower pressures, like 32 psi?

Ed
  • Options
    lzmlzlzmlz Member Posts: 7
    My 96 T&C has been perfect with 51,000 mile on it until this morning. It shaked a little when started and idling seemed bit rough. Then "service engine soon" light came on. It drove OK. What is going on? Am I going to damage the car if I have to drive it for 20 miles to the dealer? The manual says it could be the emission system problem.
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    It could be one of many things, but a likely culprit is the EGR valve (about $300 to fix). 20 miles to the dealer should not be a problem.
  • Options
    music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    Today we ordered a Limited AWD from available local stock. Locally, the dealers are throwing in an additional $500 which brings the rebate to $3K. Although there was the usual regional and national "advertising" fees that drive me crazy on the printout, we bought the car for $100 over invoice from our local Chrysler dealer. Cheaper than Autobytel which wanted 1%...
    This will be our fifth (!) Chrysler minivan and our second T&C AWD. I guess you could say we're true believers! All the luxury, coupled with the room to take everything, plus decent +20 mpg mileage...why does anyone buy an SUV instead?

Jay
  • Options
    nfl2nfl2 Member Posts: 22
    In answer to comment #998 regarding suspension, I recently sold my 96 T&C Lxi and bought a new T&C Limited with the towing package and load leveling , which is part of that package. I had it on the 96 van and it is great. It drives and holds the road real good and in the 6 years that I owned the 96, it never overheated here in Calif., partly because the towing package includes a automatic transmission cooler. Even tho I don't intend to pull a trailer, I wouldn't be without that package. Only down side on the new van, is the dealer did not tell me it did not have the adjustable brakes, like it says in the fancy brochure!!
  • Options
    Question for commentor #1009, Tell me more about the TSB regarding fluid changes. I think my new 2002 T&C says something about 40,000 miles for the transmission.
  • Options
    jfz219jfz219 Member Posts: 63
    We noticed a significant increase in the noise level of the power steering pump, especially at low speeds. The TSB for this problem involves a change in a section of tubing and a change in the type of power steering fluid (I assume to an ATF type). Since the servicing, the engine and power steering are very quiet.

This TSB has nothing to do with the transmission. I will add that a conversation with my service manager confirms my belief that the transmission fluid and filter should be changed at 30,000 to 50,000 mile intervals. The owner's manual states 100,000.

I hedged my bet by buying the Maximum Care contract for 100,000 miles. However, good routine maintenance of the oil, transmission fluid, and the above power steering should make the next 66,000 miles uneventful.
  • Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    If the doorjamb sticker lists 36 psi for the tires, than that is what they should be inflated to. The pressure listed is the one the manufacturer has determined is the best balancing of handling/durability/wear/ and comfort. Sometimes dealers will underinflate the tires as it does give a softer ride. However durability and handling both suffer.

Just a note, the PT Cruiser requires 34 psi so the 36 psi doesn't sound out of line for it's big brother.
  • Options
    The posted tire pressures are determined by the auto manufacturer to give the best combination of ride and handling. As in the Explorer controversy, sometimes ride can take precedence over handling and tire wear. Some manufacturers give a standard inflation and higher pressures for full load or highway speeds.

I have experimented with higher pressures and have monitored tire wear and handling characteristics. On my rear drive sedan, I have increased the pressures by 5 psi and have crisper handling and less cross wind problems. On my T&C, I have increased the pressures to 40 psi when on the highway with full loads.

Bottom line: the posted pressure is the minimum safe pressure. The maximum pressure on the side wall of the tire is the highest safe inflation. All measurements should be made with cold tires at outside ambient temps. Monitor handling and tread wear patterns with each adjustment.
  • Options
    eyebizeyebiz Member Posts: 6
    I have a T&C LTD 2002 with 3500 miles. The A/C compressor just went out and the part is on back order. Sounds like there may be some problems looming. Anyone out there with a similar experience?
  • Options
    dwgutwirdwgutwir Member Posts: 132
    We have an '01 LXi that did not come with the towing package.

We've now got a situation where we'd like to tow with the vehicle, and were wondering if its possible (or if anyone has done it) to retro-fit the towing package to the vehicle? My local dealer seemed to think it was doable, but at comsiderable cost.

I know that the brochure indicates the the package includes the load leveling rear suspension, an higher capacity alternator and battery. What else is different about the vehicle with the tow package than without it?

If we don't (or can't) add the tow package I know we can still tow around 2,000 lbs. Assuming a tow weight of about 1500 lbs, can we still carry 3 adults and the stuff associated with a weekend caming trip (I'm thinking about GVWR)?

Thanks for the help and advice.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about the alternator and electrical stuff, but you might consider buying self leveling rear shockes, which came on my T&C in 96. My new 2002 T&C also has load leveling shocks, but they are operated buy an oil pump. I would think that it would be expensive to put that type on your car, but the self contained ones are not cheap either. They cost around 350 dollars each! At least from Chrysler. The problem you may have is installing the tow hitch. When you order a tow package with the car, it comes with what I call blind nuts at the rear on the frame to be used with the bolts supplied with the tow hitch(2inch) that you buy, which cost around 160 dollars. You will like the load leveling shocks, even it you don't get the tow hitch.
  • Options
    If you are trying to stay within your weight limit, you will probably not exceed 300 pounds of tongue weight for your trailer. I doubt that load leveling shocks will be necessary. My 94, 96, and 98 T&C vans handled such loads without the towing package or the shocks. My previous vans had after market hitches that used the attachment points of the rear bumper assembly.

Watch for engine temperature and fill tires to maximum pressures printed on the tires.
  • Options
    buyingonebuyingone Member Posts: 2
    Have a 00 Town and country that had a head gasket problem at 4,000 miles and again at 10,000 miles. The idler pulley went at 15,000. The water pump went at 35,000. The drive bearing just went at 39000 and I am dumping this thing asap. I put alot of miles on my car per year with children and activities and spend alot of time at the dealership with these repairs. Chrysler did nothing about our dissatisfaction for the vehicle and it has been a hassle to own this van. I spend more time dropping this vehicle off for repair than enjoying it. I have the LXI AWD with all of the toys. Its a great looking car with a great feel to it. I wont miss the ringing noise that all chrysler vans make. I could have my eyes closed and hear a Chrysler van coming my way. All of you chrysler owners know what I am talking about. That ringing and squealing noise that the vans make that are magnified when you are sitting at a drive through bank line... I am leaving Chrysler and not looking back or else I shutter...
  • Options
    ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Waiting list for Odyssey but worth wait. Consumer Reports and Edmunds rate Odyssey #1. Most power, most space passenger and luggage, high gas mileage.
  • Options
    buyingonebuyingone Member Posts: 2
    I have a tow pkg with my 2000 LXI AWD and I think the tranny cant handle regular passenger load. Towing with a T&C minivan would be begging for tranny problems. If you are the lucky few to not have a problem with your tranny, then dont push your luck with towing. If you want to tow then go buy a diesel 4x4 pickup.
  • Options
    4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    We have a 2000 Town & Country with 41k miles and no problems. If you hate the noise produced by 1999-2000 Chrysler vans while idling, put the car into "N" or "3" to get rid of the sound. I dont know why it bothers you so much considering you can't even hear it unless you have the windows down and are idling along side a wall or structure. Based upon all the failures you have experienced, have you considered you might have a lemon? Engine problems at 4k miles isn't common.

My good friend has a 1999 Grand Caravan ES 3.8 FWD with the Autostick transmission they use for towing their trailer and are very happy with their van.
  • Options
    minivanman1minivanman1 Member Posts: 8
    We are taking a serious look at the T&C Limited. We live in Michigan and the winter weather has its moments. Is the AWD option worth the extra 2k for winter driving? Does it really make a difference for winter driving? what speed is the AWD best sutied for - highway or city?

Also, I believe it is not full time AWD and will only kick in once the wheels slip.
  • Options
    music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    Minivanman1,

We're about to take delivery of our fifth Chrysler minivan. Our first three (starting in 1988) were fwd Plymouths and Dodges. The last was a 98 T&C awd and the new one we're picking up on Friday is an '02 Limited AWD. We put about 20K miles on 'em every year and we live in NE Ohio so we have some experience. There is a slight increase in mechanical noise compared to the fwd versions but, we go in the snow, even if our long driveway hasn't been plowed! It also feels like there's more stability on hills and curves. Whether we would have gotten stuck in a fwd version, I can't answer. All I know is that we somehow feel more secure in the awd vans. AWD means the system is always on; the ratio of front/rear power varies based on demand. In non-slippery conditions, the ratio is 90% front/10% rear. The Chrysler awd system doesn't allow "lockup" which means that if one front wheel and one rear wheel have no traction, you will get stuck! I've read that the Acura MDX awd system will allow lockup. (We've never gotten stuck...)
    BTW, we've generally had good luck with our vans. The 98 has 94K miles on it with no unexpected expenses. There are awd specific parts so be prepared when you have to do a brake job...it's more expensive than the fwd versions!
    Good luck!

Jay
  • Options
    jncservicejncservice Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what the story is with this model? I called a few dealerships and they don't know what I am talking about. 1-800-Chrysler says the only way to get the video system is through the dealer. The model is on the website! Is this a vapor package?

Any help would be appreciated...

Jeff
  • Options
    I have a 2002 T&C AWD. I love it. I am very happy with the AWD system. You can take a turn on slippery pavement, nail it, and the van just takes off. I was worried about the mpg, but in suburban driving I am getting 19 mpg. I expect that to improve as the miles build up.

This is my first minivan, I have only owned sedans, but I am now a confirmed minivan owner.

[non-permissible content removed] luck with whatever you choose.

Ed
  • Options
    dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Chrysler has done some minor updates to its eX models.

Now you can get a leather trim package just like on the LXi on the eX for about $28,700, and now there is the Touring Edition of the eX which features non chromed T&C Limited wheels, badging, and an in the dash DVD player for the back seat.

The screen comes down in the back just like the VCP, but now you can free up the center consol and load the DVD's where the CD changer is supposed to be.

I believe you can get this with leather also, and its price with leather is around $29,600. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Factory installed dvd players come with about a 6 inch screen and cost over 1500 dollars. Why don't more people just buy a laptop computor and plug it in? For less than 1000 dollars you can have a 13 or 14 inch screen!! And take it out when you sell the car!!
  • Options
    minivanman1minivanman1 Member Posts: 8
    Does the AWD really make for more noise? We live in Michigan and I was really leaning to the AWD. However, my wife really like the T&C quiet ride. Please provide opinions...Thanks
  • Options
    khantkhant Member Posts: 1
    My '96 chrysler t&c's A/C compressor just stopped functioning 2 weeks ago .I want to get a new compressor. My mechanic is charging me about $450. Am i being ripped off or is this a fair deal?
  • Options
    Dave,

I appreciate the help, but the problem I am having is finding dealer who knows about the "Touring Edition" package. Did Chrysler actually send any of these out of the factory?

Jeff
  • Options
    Nevermind, I find a few in a Westbury, NY dealers inventory.

Thanks for the help though.

Jeff
  • Options
    erucehteruceht Member Posts: 26
    There have been some comments made about the ride quality of vans equipped with the towing package. The only difference between a 01 or 02 limited with the towing package or without is the heavy duty oil & transmission cooler and the wiring harness. There is no difference in the suspension therefore there cannot be any difference in ride quality.
  • Options
    As I watched the series finale of the X-Files on FOX I saw a new commerical for the Chrysler Town & Country Touring Edition. Not only does it have the DVD system but it also comes with an ice cooler. Pretty cool.

I guess these models will start shipping out to dealers pretty soon...

-Adam
  • Options
    chunglauchunglau Member Posts: 48
    There is a GPS navigation system available as an accessory for the 2002 Chrysler minivans, according to the Chrysler website. Does anyone know how the system is integrated into the van (in dash, stand-alone, etc.)? Thanks.
  • Options
    thegeneraltsothegeneraltso Member Posts: 25
    sound quality for one. a friend of mine has an nissan quest with a video player between the front seats. his player plays the sound through its own speakers. you can hardly hear anything when the car is going over 45mph. the same would be said for a computer with a dvd. with a factory installed dvd player, all the speakers get the same play. that would be worth the 1500.00 for me.
    can i install the dvd on my 2001 tc? for my year, i believe it came with a vcp option.
  • Options
    According to the MOPAR accessory book for the 2001 and 2002 Chrysler minivans, the GPS system is located on top of the dash. It is a pretty small, attractive device and I've seen a few T&C vans running around with the system.

BTW, my local Chrysler dealership has several new 2002 Town & Country Touring Edition models ready for sale.

-Adam
  • Options
    boiloffboiloff Member Posts: 14
    what typical gas mileage do you get out of your T&C LTD's?
    just bought a brand new 2002 T&C Ltd last FEB, and i think i am getting very low gas mileage. my wife typically drives the van around 20 miles a day, about 2 miles per trip. we get no more than 14 mpg for this type of driving. this is w/o using the A/C.
    on a long freeway trip (100 miles+), we get around 18 mpg. brought the van to the dealer and we were told this was normal for this type of van.
    also, we were told that the mileage would get better as it racked-up more miles. (current mileage is 4400 miles). any explanation for this?
    any input from other T&C owners out there would be very much appreciated.
  • Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    20 miles per day at two miles per trip? It sounds like your wife is making lots of very short trips, not giving the car much time to warm up. The initial phase of the trip is the most wasteful, untill the car reaches operating temperature. The only way to determine true freeway mileage would be to fill the car up just before the trip and immediately after you return. Otherwise, the local running will drive the mileage down again.
  • Options
    I have 34800 miles on my 2001 T&C FWD limited. I average 17-18 mpg in town and 21-23 on the road. The AC has no significant impact.

Keep tire pressure between 36 and 41 psi, and change your oil no later than after the first 5000 miles. I agree that highway mileage is a more consistent measurement than the variables associated with in-town driving.
  • Options
    thanks for the feedback guys.
    we'll go on a long drive this weekend, and i will closely monitor our gas mileage.
    nice memorial day weekend to all of you.
  • Options
    I have a T&C 2002 AWD with 4700 miles. I am getting 19 mpg in suburban driving. Have not taken a highway trip so cannot comment on highway mpg.

ENjoy your trip

Ed
  • Options
    keygokeygo Member Posts: 38
    I live in Michigan. I have driven a Chrysler AWD for the past eleven years. I sent the extra money on my 2001 with a smile. I have gone through really bad weather with no problem.

My millage driving in small town / suburban areas is 19. It is a nice vehicle.

Now if it doesn't go through three transmissions like my last one, I will be thrilled.
  • Options
    mja216mja216 Member Posts: 4
    Trying to decide what are the differences ultimately between a dodge grand caravan sport and a t&c lx both with the 25k package. Also Why either one of these over a Honda Odyssey? Thanks for your thoughts, mja
  • Options
    At least two factors should improve your transmission outlook. Your 2001 has a better electronic management for shifting and uses Mopar +4 transmission fluid. Other changes had to have been made is the transmission itself. My 2001 does not have any of the gear wining that my 1996 had.

Long term reliability will be optimized if the transmission is serviced at 30,000 to 50,000 miles. The correct Mopar +4 fluid replacement is essential.

Another area of concern is the power steering pump, rack, and accessory belt tensioner. There is a TSB which details a change in fluid type and a replacement tube for the power steering. The new ATF fluid in the power steering will dramatically quiet the PS pump, eliminate the chirping, and should increase the longevity of all of the above components.

I think that these steps should address the long term reliability issues that have plagued the T&C in the past.
  • Options
    cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    If you own a 2002 Dodge/Chrysler minivan, can you please confirm how many standard and optional tether anchor locations exist for the second and third row seating? Also, are there any printed warnings about the number of children/carseats allowed in the third row?

Some parents are being told by dealer and manufacurer that only one [or two] child/carseat may be installed in the 3rd row of the 2002 models. In addition, Chrysler apparently switched the number of factory installed tether anchors from three to one from MY2001 to MY2002.

Any information on this would be appreciated. A scan of the relevant pages in the owner's manual would be great. Please no flames or attacks, I need the information to assist parents with proper carseat installation information. If you do have information, I'd appreciate a copy to the email address in my profile in addition to a response here. Thanks!
  • Options
    shoeflyshoefly Member Posts: 3
    caviller,

I have a 2002 Town and Country Limited and for the second row, we have two captains chairs with tethers on each one. I will have to check the third row, but I believe it is two tethers there also. The third row we have is a split bench, they also have the new LATCH system in the seats.
  • Options
    shoeflyshoefly Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2002 T/C and am thinking about a rear DVD or VCP system. Has anyone had one installed aftermarket and had it integrated with the existing stereo(ours came with rear headphones already) or compared the quality with the Mopar? One of the big problems I have with the Mopar is the DVD player is located where we already have a 4 disk in dash changer.

I would like to take advantage of the headphones that came with the system and the rear audio, but don't necessarily want to pay the 1400 + for the mopar system.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    balooobalooo Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2001 T/C LX and it is only getting 18MPG Hwy.
    My job requires lots of highway and frankly I'm very disappointed with this vehicle I traded a 99 Chevy Venture with 110,000 miles and in great condition for this T/C(26,000 purchased used)
    Talk about buyer's remorse...It starts and idles rough,lacks power and the drivers seating position is uncomfortable due to the power window "hub" rubbing my knee.If I gained anything at all from this purchase is to rent what I intend to buy first or insist on an overnight/extended test drive.
  • Options
    ycl1688ycl1688 Member Posts: 2
    Who makes engine for T&C vans after 2000 for size 3.3 or 3.8l
  • Options
    i am getting black sooty deposits forming around the lips of the exhaust pipe of my 2002 T&C Ltd. The dealer told me this is normal. i'm afraid this is a sign of something terrible happening in the engine (burning oil, etc). any inputs? thanks
  • Options
    steelengsteeleng Member Posts: 71
    All cars have soot deposits on the exhaust so this is most likely normal. You may want to compare the soot deposits on your van to other vehicles and see if yours looks like other well maintained vehicles (don't compare it to an old rusty beater). If your deposits look excessive compared to other newer vehicles on the road then you will want to have it investigated.
  • Options
    I have a new T&C Limited 2002, which I like very much, but I have a question about the gas gauge. When the light comes on for getting gas, and I fill up, the car only takes about 14 or 15 gals. tops!! The needle never is into the red area on the dial and I find this anonying, since it always has more than 5 gals of gas left. I don't want to run out, but 5 or 6 gals of gas is over 150 miles. Anyone out there had this problem?
This discussion has been closed.