Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• ecnirp1ecnirp1 Member Posts: 13
    If you can get 150 miles in a T&C with 5-6 gallons of gas I wouldn't complain about anything!!
  • rayebienrayebien Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2002 Town and Country Limited. Has anyone had the problem with the body color fascias lifting off the minivan body? The body color fascia that is located in front of the left rear passenger wheel well is lifting off. One can see the adhesive that is between the fascia and the car body. Since the minivan is still under warranty we will be taking it to the dealership for repair. Does anyone know if this fascia will now be prone to lifting/falling off in the near/distant future?
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    I have a 2001 Voyager, but it has the same engine as your T&C--the 3.3l V6--and I get about 17 mpg around town with the air on. I get low-to-mid-twenties on the road, depending on several factors. I have less weight than you, so that helps my number vs yours some. I, too, am a little disappointed in the mpg for my van. What kind of mileage do other owners with the 3.3l get?
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I am interested in a T&C eL, but am concerned about the 3.3 engine. Is this enough for a 4,000 lb. van?
  • steelengsteeleng Member Posts: 71
    I have a 2001 Grand Caravan with the 3.3L engine. I find the engine to be quite capable of moving this vehicle. With the A/C on it is a little bit sluggish at times but that seems to be more of a matter of the transmission being programmed to try to stay in a higher gear to conserve fuel. If you force it to downshift it moves quite well even with the A/C on.
    Again, my Voyager is lighter than a T&C, but the engine seems to do a fine job of hauling the van around. Remember it is torque that gets you moving, and the Chrysler has about 210 ft-lbs I do believe. The sluggishness we sometimes feel while we're moving is also a result of the lower (as compared to vans like Odyssey and Sedona) horsepower, 180. The weight seems to be an issue when you're going 30 and want to get up to 60; but, from a stand still, the torque gets you up to speed pretty well, IMO.
  • ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Chrysler 3.3L torque 210 almost much as much heavier Sedona 218 but much less than Odyssey 242.
    5 Speed Automatic help Sedona and Odyssey. Chrysler eL with 3.3L probably quick as heavier Sedona or Odyssey.
    Chrysler eL more feature less cost Odyssey LX but more cost than Sedona LX. Extra feature Chrysler worth more than other minivan.
    My 2001 Odyssey EX vary 20 to 25 MPG on long road trip. Friend Chrysler 3.3L vary 25 to 28 MPG on long road trip.
  • ybnrmlybnrml Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 T&C LX. My wife always complains about it not accelerating when she trys to pull out in traffic. She has told me that when she is at a complete stop and trys to take off nothing happens and suddenly it will jerk into gear and than accelerate. Of course this does not happen with me or when it goes into service. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    I'm trying to determine whether or not my wife's van has the tow package. Normally I'd just look at the window sticker but it's been awhile and I have no idea where it is. I bought my wife an '01 AWD Lxi T&C in Dec. of '00 and she absolutely loves it. I'm fairly certain this van has the tow package because it came with a wiring harness and there's a full-size spare. Are there any other packages that would include these things or can I just conclude that it does indeed have the tow package? Thanks for any help. (Note: We don't plan on towing, this is just curiosity).

One more thing: she's especially thrilled with the power liftgate. At 5' tall the handle is out of reach with door up so the power liftgate was a must have. Is this feature something people don't normally get? I'm just surprised at not seeing it mentioned very much. The way Honda owners talk about the folding 3rd row you'd think hyping it was part of the buyer's agreement ;-)

Thanks in advance for the help.
  • norrislakenorrislake Member Posts: 1
    My father recently purchased a new 2002 Town and Country van. When driving the van it feels like a slight stutter or like the brake is being applied to the back drivers side wheel intermittently.
    If you have felt what ABS feels like when active, it feels like that except the brakes are Not being applied at all.
    He has taken it to the dealership and they ran diagnostics but found nothing from the computer print outs.
    The stutter is definitely there 4 different people have felt it. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem? Thank you.
  • johcejohce Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 T&C Limited AWD and I like it very much. I traded in my 02Montero cauze I need more space- I have 3 oldies visiting us and complaining in climbing and my 6 yr old daughter screaming that they're squassing her. Anyway, I just want to know if the liftgate has a power to close too? I have to manually closing it because it's not working. Your input will be appreciated. Tks/Johce
  • minivanman1minivanman1 Member Posts: 8
    We are looking at the T&C Limited and LXi. We really like the Limited but the dealer suggested a well-equiped LXi (29U) with heated leather seats, power liftgate, and traction control as being a better value. I tend to think the Limited has more comfortable seats.

I am also wondering about the load leveling suspension - does this only work with towing.

Finally, can anyone comment on the AWD and noise - I heard is had more road noise. We live in Michigan so the AWD is appealing -even though my thinks it is 2k extra just for a "guy thing".
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    you can close the liftgate the same way you open it...by the remote keychain, the button in the front overhead or by hand pulling it down. I wish they can install a button to where the handle is so it can be closed by pressing that button.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    I'm guessing the dealer might just want to move out some LXi's, because I can't believe he'd actually want to steer you clear of the more expensive model.

What I liked most about the Limited was the unique front seats, which is my opinion, are more comfortable than the LXi. They tend to wrap around you and are true bucket seats. With the Limited, you also get the -
    1. Memory seats, mirrors, and radio presets
    2. Chrome wheels and interior chrome door handles
    3. Unique seating with luxury leather/suede combo
    4. Automatic dimming rearview and outside driver's mirror
    5. Automatic headlights
    6. Body color roof rack
    7. More wood trim

The load leveling works anytime their is a large load in your car.

Can't comment on the AWD...

Hope this helps...(Go for the Limited) :-)
    dave210 listed many excellent reasons for going Limited. We went with the Lxi simply because of the suede -- little kids and suede don't mix. This paid off the first time I had to clean an orange powder (cheese crackers smuggled aboard in a coat pocket) out of the blue interior.

If you regularly switch drivers a Limited might be worth it simply for the memory seats (all the wood trim is plastic, btw).

AWD -- I've never noticed any road noise. AWD is like that flashlight you keep in a drawer just in case the power goes out. These days (in my neighborhood) power failures are a rarity. But if the power goes out it'll be nice to have the light. Same goes for the extra traction provided by AWD; it's there just in case. I debated it for awhile, but the first time my wife called me at work raving about it when caught in a fast-moving storm (other minivans were struggling) the decision paid off. Good luck!
    The information on the AWD is valuable. We live in Michigan and the dealer said I would never need it when I asked for it. This was one of the reasons I wanted the T&C. I think the dealer was more interested in pushing his stock as he had no AWD on the lot.

Is the touring suspension on the LXi as an option the same as loading leveling on the Limited?
  • rolfe2rolfe2 Member Posts: 81
    On my '01 ES AWD, here are the contents of the trailer tow package:

160 ampere alternator, 600 ampere battery, heavy-duty engine cooling, load-leveling and height control suspension, full-size spare tire and trailer tow wiring harness

Don't read too much into the "full-size spare" -- I don't think you can buy AWD without it. It's important that all 4 wheels are exactly the same diameter.

--rolfe.
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    I (my wife really) have a '99 T&C LXi AWD and love it. I can't praise an AWD enough. This one replaced a Grand Caravan I had for 10 yrs. The stability of the AWD in the rain and snow are quite noticeable. We got caught in a snowstorm once in the sierras and it was nice just watching everybody else pull over to put chains on. My AWD just kept on going. Of course there are some unique driving characteristics that come with an AWD as well. The nice thing is you don't have to decide when it's a good time to go into AWD compared to a regular 4x4, not to mention the weight.

No noise complaint here either. I've had mine for 39k miles now and almost ready for a new set of tires. AWD is not a man thing, it's a SAFETY thing. The load-leveling feature is great too. With 7 passengers, luggage and a Yakima space cadet on the roof, your headlights are still focused on the road and not at the stars or oncoming traffic.

I was so impressed with the AWD that I broke down and bought my own AWD (Subie WRX). Good luck!!

If price is no object go for the Limited AWD and have both worlds.
  • emwilemwil Member Posts: 8
    clearly, there are a lot of things to decide when looking at this van. i read this entire post about two weeks ago and was amazed and overwhelmed with all the info here.
    i have a few questions for you guys/ ladies.
    from what i read here, i was interested in the awd limited with a few extras, tow pkg,organizer, maybe a spoiler to make it look a little less like an egg.
    i live in texas. after talking to a dealer, awd models are very rare around these parts. maybe because we don't get much snow? i live on a very bumpy dirt road, off of a treacherously curvy road. it seems like a good idea to me to have it. however, i asked a mechanic i trust about it and he advised against it. he said there are troubles with the transfer case, or something like that. he said stick with fwd. he said to my husband, ' i don't know why she'd want awd around here.' well, something to that effect.
    so i'm asking about this trouble with the transfer case or whatever. are you guys aware of problems with the awd?
    is there anybody else in texas who has one of these and has comment.
    it sounds like just another way to protect your family.
    a few other questions...
    is there an option for 17 inch tires? what is the touring edition? i have seen it mentioned but found little more info on it.
    i come from the tahoe family, i get 12-16, 16 being the all hwy weeks which almost never happen. am i really going to see a signifigant improvement over this? the records say 17-22, yet i have read numerous reports of 12-16mpg in reviews and posts here. if thats what i can expect form this van then i might as well get a suburban. they are cheaper and they sit higher which is something i already like. anyone who keeps up with their mileage and has a larger picture of realistically what to expect? and to what degree does getting 22 mph have to do with tire pressure, tune ups and oil changes, things like that?
    i have more questions but i will save them for another time. i'll leave it at that for now. thank you so much for any responses.
    em
    I don't know why dealers in your area don't order more awd models but your assumption sounds valid -- although awd is pretty useful in the rain too and from what I gather y'all (see, I speak Texan ;-) ) get a raindrop now and again. Now I poked around the nhtsa website and edmunds and couldn't find any bulletins on transfer case problems or awd issues. Was he citing a "known issue" or something he THINKS "could happen". "Could happens" generally apply to every year, make and model by all manufacturers.

Tires: dunno. Touring edition is the DVD entertainment system. Last time I checked the computer I think the mileage was 17 (and my wife does strictly city driving) but I honestly don't track it as she's not a high mileage driver. Mileage is affected by all the things you mentioned. The formulation of the fuel is also important (every region seems to have a different formulation these days) but I'm not an expert on this. Your mileage will most likely be a little better than a tahoe and still better with fwd (as opposed to awd).

Get what you like best, but I don't think subs are cheaper. Hope this helps.
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    I have a T&C 2002 AWD. Just knowing I can step on the gas in wet or sandy conditions and go makes the AWD worth it to me. Lately I have been doing only short trips to the supermarket,library, etc., and am getting in the 18 to 19 mpg range. Cannot comment on the highway mileage as I have not yet taken a trip with the vehicle.

Go for the T&C, you will love it.

Ed
  • lmo454lmo454 Member Posts: 4
    I am experiencing a squealing noise/high-pitched whine that sounds like it is coming from underneath the dashboard. I have a 2002 T&C Limited AWD and started hearing the noise with only 100 miles on the vehicle. It is intermittent and does not seem to be related to engine rpm because when it starts to happen, I can coast or accelerate and still hear the noise.

I have absolutely no idea how to reproduce this problem so I haven’t taken it back to the dealer yet, although it seems to happen more often when it is 80+ degrees outside. I hear the noise with the radio on or off, and with the blower motor/AC on or off. The noise happens when going straight or turning, it has happened while on the freeway and during city driving. Noise only lasts for a few minutes than goes away. It will return sometimes, off and on a few times a day; and the van will go some days without making the noise at all.

I liken the noise to a squeaky speedometer cable that needs lubrication; I know that’s not the problem since it’s an electronic speedometer. If anyone has any suggestions as to what this might be, I’d appreciate hearing from you. Thanks in Advance.

I love this car but the squeaking noise is embarrassing and annoying.
  • boiloffboiloff Member Posts: 14
    just recently had a similar noise problem. thought at first that it came from behind radio. sounded like a bird chirping or a little mouse squeaking. also, noise only present when it is hot outrside.
    check if your overhead console is loose. i noticed that if the noise appeared, if i pushed the overhead console up with my finger, the noise stops. took this to the dealer and they promptly took care of it.
  • lmo454lmo454 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks boiloff. My overhead console is loose, looks like I'll be able to get this problem solved soon. Thanks Again.
    Ultimately the decision is yours to make. I (my wife really) have a '99 T&C AWD LXi and this is my 2nd Chrysler minivan. This one replaced an '89 Grand Caravan with over 135k trouble-free miles. Retired the old one coz it was time and it showed the wear and tear of 3 kids who are now grown. Besides we liked the new upgrades and safety improvements of the new ones. Too bad the motorized door/latch came later (always the case) or I would have waited.

AWD is the way to go. In my opinion transfer case problems are only encountered by 4x4 types coz like most 4x4s here in CA they're never used in 4x4 mode. With 4x4s you have to switch modes from 4x2 to 4x4 and this happens in the transfer case. When not used the transfer case just sits there as extra weight. More accurately a $4k worth of extra weight since that's the average price difference. And the only time you're supposed to switch is when road conditions are slippery coz it's not recommended to be in 4x4 on dry pavement anyway. So there's a lot of decision making there. With AWD, by design, the decision making is taken cared of. All-wheel-drive is always happening. Just a matter of which wheel needs power the most.

Mileage is affected by many factors - driving habits, tire pressure, weather, engine condition, etc. The less effort the engine has to exert to move your car means better gas mileage. With low pressure tires, your car feels heavier to move. Try riding a bike with flat tires and with air in the tires and see how much it takes you to pedal. Keeping your engine tuned up is like keeping yourself in shape. If your engine is out of shape, it doesn't burn gas efficiently (plugs, wires..)to produce power - low mpg. Try jogging after being a couch potato for so long - huff- puff. Get it? City, we average about 16-19mpg. Freeway, depends on how fast we want to get somewhere.

Now comparing SUV's (Tahoe/Suburban) with a T&C is quite different. Handling characteristics are very different. You're sitting on a web site with all the info you need. My wife and I are quite happy with our AWD T&C and feel quite safe too. Good luck!!
  • chryslervan1chryslervan1 Member Posts: 52
    When I told them I specifically stated it is an eL, they said the VIN indicates an LX.
    Apparently the T&C eL and T&C eX are in reality LX models with a specific, well equipped, very few option Town & Country. The interior color of eL and eX is only Taupe and options are very limited.
    Weird that the eX comes with the 3.8L V6 that is NOT available on a regular LX model.
    The 2001 and 2002 T&C LX are NOT as luxurious as were the 2000 and earlier T&C LX like macmg3 drives. When DC dropped Plymouth, the T&C LX became the replacement for the Plymouth Grand Voyager SE.
    In 2001, the Dodge Grand Caravan Sport became the same quality as was the earlier GC SE models and the nicer seats, options of the earlier Sport models became no longer available. The current Caravan and Grand Caravan SE model is simply a re-incarnation of the former base Caravan or base Grand Caravan
  • peverheartpeverheart Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2000 Chrysler T&C that has been garaged since new. About 6-8 months ago, we noticed that the cover was starting to split, in areas that we dont use to steer with. Then about a month ago, the lower half of the steering wheel started to 'melt' in two places. We dont know what would cause this, and are not too happy that this is occuring in a 2 year old 30K van that is garaged every day. This is a LXI with supposedly leather.
    Has anyone else had this happen to them?
    You are correct. The EX model was created for the sole purpose of competing with the Odyssey EX. That's why it came with the 3.8l engine, but no leather. You'll also notice the EX has no side cladding like the LXi models does--and the LXi does not come standard with the 3.8l engine. The eL was new for 2002, and meant to compete with lesser priced vans. As you know, so many people shop based only on price, so Chrysler had to be able to compete on price.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    Sorry to hear about your steering wheel problem. I wish I could give you some better advice but we have a 2000 Town & Country LX which did not come with a leather interior or leather wrapped steering wheel. Our wheel looks fine at 46k miles, granted that it is plastic instead of leather. I have known many people with Town & Country LXi and Limited models with leather that have not had any problems after many miles. If it is still under warranty I'm sure your dealership will be happy to rewrap the sterring wheel. Good luck!
    Sounds odd but I think you should be able to have it replaced under warranty.

Seems like you take care of your T&C. I'm curious if you've been using any solvents or cleaner on the interior and if so what kind? There's been a lot of discussion on the no-no's of Armorall and the likes specially on leather.

I have a'99 T&C LXi AWD running approx. 38k miles on it w/ all leather. It's been parked out in the driveway for most of it's life and everything is fine, no problem. I really don't know if the steering wheel covers are also leather.

Good luck, I'd be interested in what the cause of it was once you get it fixed.
    In another Chrysler minivan related forum, I told how we did a trade-in of our 99 GC SE to the dealer who then sold it for same price to our daughter and son in law. Question asked: "Why did you trade it in instead of negotiate best price and sell it directly"?
    Answer: Our state has a 6.6% sales tax. By trading the van in, the total sales tax for us and our daughter was the value of the new 2002 T&C eL. We paid sales tax on the difference while our daughter paid sales tax on value of trade-in. We got a nice discount off MSRP of the 02 T&C eL at that dealer while no other DC dealer would discount the GC or T&C eL and also wanted to show at least a $200 profit on the "pass-thru".
    We had talked to 2 Honda dealers about a "pass-thru" and got same response of $200 profit. Honda dealers would not budge off MSRP. The eL MSRP of $24,330 has far less dealer profit than does the Ody LX MSRP of $24,680.
    A DC el minivan has many nice features not on an Ody LX while the Ody LX has the 240 HP V6, 5 speed automatic, and Magic Seat. For us, the many nice features of the DC eL were of equal value to the Ody items listed above.
    A comparably equipped T&C LX has MSRP of $28,515 while our T&C eL had MSRP $24,580 (with luggage rack). We paid $23,972 which would have been a discount of $4543 on a T&C LX with same options. We also have 4 wheel disc ABS as does Ody.
    It was beneficial to both us and our daughter to trade-in the vehicle than to buy the new one and sell our 99 GC SE directly to our daughter.
    I entered Town Hall as chryslervan1 since I could not enter under my former name. I felt it necessary to state why we now own a 2nd DC minivan and to dispel rumors relating to my long absence.
    I am having difficulty with my new internet provider so if you do not see any posts extolling the many nice features of DC minivans, our complete satisfaction, etc. it will be because of internet service provider difficulties.
    Enjoy your nice DC minivans. Carl 2002 T&C eL
    i wanted to thank those who responded to my post. i really appreciate you guy's input. i have more research to do but you did answer some of my questions.
    thanks again. i will be keeping up with your posts. there is always something new here.
    em
    Does anyone know if there will be anything new or different for the 2003 T&C?
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    For 2003, on the Limited you will be able to get power adjustable pedals(option), power sunroof(option),rear seat DVD system(option),tire pressure monitoring system (standard), 6 disc cd changer replaces the 4 disk unit,rear bench 50/50 split(standard) and 3 new exterior colours.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    So no adjustable track full bench with armrest is even an option? And I was hoping for a leather/wood steering wheel like in the 300M/Concord LTD/Jeep Overland. If they totally take that away, it really will be an Acura for us next.
    what is the time frame for availablity on those? one of my cons was that there was no sunroof. wahoo! any chance they have changed the seat coverings from the leather/suede* combo?
    em
  • realtiredrealtired Member Posts: 1
    I am contemplating purchasing a used 99 T&C Ltd w/67k miles.

The transmission was just replaced with a rebuilt unit and torque converter by AAMCO last month and comes with a 12 month/unlimited mile warranty. When the transmission is shifted into reverse/drive (with the car not moving) or when slowing to a stop with the windows open (almost stopped - seems like shifting into 1st gear), I can hear a faint clicking noise (series of 6-8 clicks). The clicks are barely audible, not loud or any knocking sensation, the car does not jerk forward, but nevertheless the clicking noise can be heard and it happens consistently.

Other than that, the van appears in great condition.

A couple of questions:
    - Anybody have any experience with AAMCO rebuilt transmissions - Good/Bad/Other? Or specific experience with this noise? Does AAMCO stand behind their trannys?
    - Anything else specific to 99 T&C Ltds that I need to look for?
    - I was looking at possibly buying an aftermarket warranty (2 Yr Warranty Gold Platinum for $1075). Is it worth it on this van? I've heard (and read on this board!) that the trannys are the big thing to worry about with these vans.
    - Any other thoughts?

TIA,
    Pete
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    From what I have read , the only seat is the 50/50 .

The sunroof should be available from the start and no the LTD still has the leather/suede seats.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    Assuming AAMCO used the correct 41TE 4 speed auto transmission that almost all Chrysler minivans come with, the "clicking" sound you are hearing is totally normal. We've had two DC minivans and both of them have made this sound. Every other DC minivan I've seen has also made this sound when slowing to a stop or shifting from park to reverse or drive.

Our 2000 Town & Country is trouble free at 46k miles. But if I were you, I would probably buy the extra warranty for added protection. You never know when something might break down on ANY used car. Good luck!
  • peverheartpeverheart Member Posts: 4
    realtired,
    I would wonder why a '99 T&C would need a new transmission if I were you. Why wasnt it covered under Chryslers service agreement? You say AAMCO rebuilt it? I doubt it, nobody rebuilds those units, they just remove and replace with an aftermarket unit. BTW, clicking is fairly normal, thats solenoids that are switching on and off to control the transmission. I would be very wary of this vehicle. I currently own a 2000 and used to have a 89 Caravan with horrendous experience with the trans. I know they have been greatly improved since then, use ONLY the CHRYSLer transmission fluid in these units. Most garages wont put that in because they already have dextron lying around.Over the years, I've had transmission work done by many shops, and to tell the truth, Not one of them did work that held up for the long haul. Good Luck if you decide to go for this vehicle!
    Just returned from another 1355 mile round trip to Disneyland in our very comfortable DC minivan. With Cruise Set at 75 to 80 MPH, the van delivered 26.6 MPG enroute to Disneyland and 24.5 MPG for return trip. The overall average was 25.1 MPG.
    I am always amazed at the efficiency of the 3.3L V6 even when running at 3500 RPM in 3rd gear to maintain 75 - 80 MPH on long, steep hills of I-15 between Las Vegas, Nevada and Barstow, California.
    I am also pleased that our 2 DC minivans have consistently delivered MUCH better gas mileage than my brother-in-law gets with his 2001 Honda Odyssey that has a slightly higher EPA fuel economy rating. He does not keep detailed records but told me his van got between 20 MPG and 25 MPG when computed at each refill on a long 2200 mile round trip to Vancouver, Canada. We have NEVER had as low as 20 MPG on a trip and have had as high as 31.6 MPG Salt Lake City to St George Utah.
    If our T&C odometer read "high" like his 2001 Odyssey, our mileage would have been 27.4 MPG enroute, 25.2 MPG return, and 25.8 MPG overall with a "high" of 32.5 MPG SLC-St George segment.
    As I have often written, the ONLY accurate fuel economy figures are long round trips AND the DC Trip Computers. DC Trip Computers on our 1999 GC SE and our 2002 T&C eL have been more accurate than the data computed manually since it is almost impossible to get the same level of "FULL" when refueling.
    Although we have loved our 2 DC minivans, the driver's seat of the 2001 Odyssey EX is much more comfortable for me than has been the driver seat of either DC minivan. Each minivan has unique, very nice advantages.
    My computer crashed Saturday July 20th. I had to completely re-load all programs and had fortunately written down my Edmund's password since I no longer use my former ISP.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    (1999 Dodge GCS with 3.8 liter, now with over 39k miles)

Memphis TN to Rochester NY, about 975 miles in 13 hours door to door, fully loaded (4 persons plus several hundred pounds of luggage), no cruise, most of the time between 80-90 mph, AC on all the time, average fuel economy 19 mpg.

New York NY to Rochester NY, about 350 miles in 6.5 hours door to door, 1 person, cruise set at 64 mph most of the way, no appreciable cargo, no AC, average fuel economy 26.2 mpg.

Otherwise, routinely a solid 22-23 mpg on long trips when driven in a "spirited" fashion.

Not bad for an "old" technology engine running on regular gas in a rather large heavy vehicle one would say.
    The "Old Technology" pushrod engines are still my favorite over the more sophiscated, more trouble-prone Overhead Cams that require more expensive routine maintenance.
    My friend Kurt loves his 2000 Grand Caravan LE with the 3.8L V6 and says he sets the cruise at 83 MPH (I-15 to California and I-80 California to Illinois) where he gets 24 to 24.5 MPG with 6 people and all the luggage 6 people need for a week long vacation. He was quite unhappy with the rigorously enforced 65 MPH Speed Limit in Iowa.
    He liked his prior 96 Grand Voyager SE with 3.3L and the earlier DC minivan with the 3.0L. He thinks DC minivans just keep getting better.
    Although we were worried about the "perceived unreliability" of DC minivans reported in the Town Hall and by Consumer Reports, we know many very happy owners of DC minivans. Many now drive their 2nd or 3rd one and have had NO problems.
    Heidi and DJ have a 96 T&C LXi with 3.8L and use it to pull a rather large trailer. They had transmission rebuilt at 180,000 miles and most recently had a minor problem at 240,000 miles but say there is no other vehicle that fills their needs as well as the T&C with 3.8L engine.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    If I discount the approx. 50 miles of stop and go driving, on the last leg, my van travelled 238.3 miles on 8.1 gallons (approx. 29.4 mpg).

Hey if it works this well, I don't care if they have hamsters on treadmills in there!
  • audreykaudreyk Member Posts: 4
    Need input: I love my 2001 T & C but the seats are killing my back to the point of turning in this 18K car which handles like a dream. I don't know what to do, please advise. Took car to upholstery place-told me others have complained-problem: seat angles back tilting legs back putting pressure on lower back. Even with the 6-way tilt the seat is angled back, a slope. The curvature of the seat back hits the ribs and side of my back causing pain and cramping of muscles. Don't know what else to do-Dealership no help. Any National recalls?
    Thanks for a 2nd complaint about comfort of DC Minivan seats. I have a similar complaint about our 2002 T&C eL and our former 1999 GC SE seats and am surprised that the more luxurious leather seats of a T&C LXi are NOT comfortable to someone else.
    My biggest complaint is the "too cushy" feeling of the cloth seats where I sink into the seats and the "wrap-around" of seat back and seat bottom make the seat uncomfortably HOT for me as a driver. Additionally, I get lower back pain unless I frequently shift weight on my bottom.
    On the other hand, the cloth driver's seat of my brother-in-laws 2001 Odyssey EX is VERY comfortable with a firm but soft feeling and very little "wrap around" of either the cushion or back.
    Although I enjoy the many nice features the DC minivans contain that are not even available as options on the Odyssey, the DC minivans seats are to me the "Weakest Link".
    I wish I could place a 1999-2001 Odyssey driver's seat into my 2002 T&C eL for a much more comfortable ride for me as the driver. BTW, the seats of the 2002 Odyssey are NOT as comfortable for me as the 99-01 versions and the materials look cheaper.
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    I have the opposite experience with the cloth seats in my 2002 T&C LX. I find the seats very comfortable, in fact, I bought the minivan because of the seats and the upright seating position. I find the seating comfort so good that I do not like to travel in sedans if I can help it. For the record, I am 5 ft, 10 inches.

This issue reinforces the point that anyone comtemplating the purchase of a new vehicle should not simply go by magazine reviews, but should try the vehicle themselves.

Ed
    Apparently the contour of DC Minivan seats is more comfortable for many than it is for me. I felt the seats were more comfortable in cold weather than they are now the temperature is in the 90's and 100's.
    The old fashioned bench seats are more comfortable for me than bucket seats for long trips. The 1999-2001 Odyssey seats are more flat on both cushion and back portion with a more firm feeling...which is probably the reason I prefer the Odyssey seats. I also do not like the new GM pickup seats as well as the ones in our 1981 Chevy C-10 and 1987 Chevy R-10.
    The seats in our 1999 GC SE and 2002 T&C eL are NOT as comfortable for me as the seats in the 1999-2001 Odysseys nor as comfortable as pre-1996 DC minivans or the current PT Cruiser seats.
    I would prefer the PT Cruiser to the DC minivans IF the PT had a V6, larger fuel tank, and more space in the engine compartment to access battery and other components.
  • audreykaudreyk Member Posts: 4
    Listened to the points the two of you made. I noticed that the cloth seats tended to be "sticky" that is the material snagged me from getting out easily. That is why I went with leather. I did, in fact try the seats and they "seemed" great however, with further driving and more often the concave and convex shapes of the back part and the seat part got to me. My 94 GDC has a more straight back part and the seat is level! Any suggestions on how to fix it Chryslervan1?
This discussion has been closed.