Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    ummm... well... assuming 30k miles, I suggest $24k on the Audi and $25k on the BMW.

I can't help you on time of year to buy.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited November 2013
    I know, I know.

Boston, MA
    2010 Saab 93 Aero Wagon
    2.0 Turbo
    Automatic
    FWD
    26K Miles
    Black/Black
    Leather, Sunroof
    Dealer detailed so 8/10
    Tires New
    Brakes about 50%
    Oil change just done by dealer but CarFax shows just 1 service record which really doesn't indicate the real history.

Dealer is asking $18,900.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I know, I know.

Yep, you're a brave one:

http://youtu.be/QUQsqBqxoR4?t=48s

(I'm kind of curious as to what those are actually selling for, plus those few "new" Saabs that are still sitting on dealer lots.)
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    Bluegrass still has 65 "new" Saabs- at anywhere from $10,000 to $16,000 off MSRP.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Bluegrass still has 65 "new" Saabs- at anywhere from $10,000 to $16,000 off MSRP. They are including a third-party warranty- but no thanks...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    found this 2011 for what seems like a reasonable price (as far as some asking prices on these). Q, what does the oracle say as we head into winter? Anything to panic about with these (the power hardtop of course scares me, but darn, nice to have the visibility!)

carfax with sale date (I assume at the big Manheim auction) which might help you nail it down!

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=WBADW7C58BE543714&partner=- COO_0

the car:

http://www.royalautogroups.com/vehicle-details/564ea2a256f93040b66696308a6dd938/- 2011+bmw+328i+2-door+convertible.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I'm no fan of droptops, but a 328i would be your best bet for long-term reliability- no turbo and it is RWD. The only thing better would be one with three pedals. I had a 2007 335i SP 'vert for almost a month and it was a very nice car. No real compromises compared to the coupe other than increased weight and reduced luggage space.

I don't like the fact that it has gone so long without the ATF being changed, but I don't think it is a deal-breaker.

If it's anything like our E90 328i it should be dead-nuts reliable.

• Options
    Thanks RB. I am actually mulling over a 2006 E46 instead. Not sure I trust the hardtop, and RFTs are not something I want. And by 2006, they must have had that model dubugged!

so Q, here is a 2nd one: a 2006 330ci, silver over gray with 84K on it:

http://www.delawarevalleymotors.com/inventorymanager.php?action=view&Id=507528

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    That's a base 330... the same as what we had.. Ours stickered for about $49,500 in 2005..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Unfortunately, I have no comps to go on.
    A couple of non-Aero wagons about 1.5 mos ago went for $11,500-$11,800.

I don't even have any Sedan Aeros to go by.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    If it was cheap enough, I wouldn't care about a warranty... much like buying a used car. But I'm thinking like half off MSRP is where I might show some interest. A manual SportCombi Aero for like $18K? There are worse things.

• Options
    There are so many of these, that September is already off the map.

The highest mile one in October was with 56k and got $21,800. Next in line was 54k for $23,600.

• Options
    roundabout $11k-$11.5k.

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Denver
    2012 Honda Pilot EX
    SUV
    3.5L 6 cylinder, auto
    AWD
    Polished Metal/Gray
    Very clean, few small dings/scratches, interior clean
    Tires - 95%
    All original - Maintenance current
    Roof/hood hail damage repaired

Thanks in advance!!!
  • Options
    tough one with the miles.

Was their painting involved with the hail damage repair?

If not, you are probably looking at the $20k zip code. If its been painted... well... could be much much lower depending.

• Options
    well, if the 2006 is only an 11K car, with winter coming, they may have it there for a while. Wander by there Christmas week, and if it is still there, offer them 12K cash and see what happens?

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Thanks q.
  • Options
    Thanks, I knew the miles wouldn't help. They replaced the hood, painted it and portions of the roof. I ran it by CarMax a few weeks back before replacing the tires, they pegged it at $22K, said new tires wouldn't change it much.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited November 2013
    Did Carmax note the repairs in their estimate?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I mentioned the hail damage prior to the appraisal, they said they noticed the paint but said it was done properly. Should I run back there?!?!?
  • Options
    It seems like a good number from Carmax.
    I'm guessing you are looking replace it with something else, so I would see what you can get on a trade, as an additional reference.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Now I like this drop top...a lot! Have found a few similar ones at the BMW store right near the house. Hopefully in a few years when I am ready to purchase, they have some similar deals going on because right now, i just can't see getting rid of the Civic, it's just driving so nicely and I've spent a few bucks the last few months to maintain it. Why should I let someone else enjoy all that I've done except if that someone was my boy, and for him I'd give it up willingly and for a great price! The girls bought their own vehicles with their investments and working funds so he has to also...and he has no idea that he has the funds for a new vehicle sitting and making interest for him. We'll surprise him when the time is right but right now, living in Chicago, he does not need a vehicle one bit. He has public transport right where he lives...and his lady has a vehicle of her own so why add the expense and parking hassle right now. In time maybe...but not right now...and the Civic would make the perfect city vehicle since it isn't brand new, it only looks like it is!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    wow. yeah, I'd run back for the $22k.

• Options
    danbone111danbone111 Member Posts: 47
    Just to confirm, no leather on the pilot? Just an ex, not an ex-l? Want to make sure qbrozen has the correct info
  • Options
    That's correct, just EX, no leather.
  • Options
    Pompano Beach(Margate), Florida
    2005 convertible
    2 Door
    Gray Over Gray

Not sure of any other details as I just called and it is in the shop for maintenance. Interior pics look great, no fading from the sun. Guy said the price is pretty much the price with little negotiating room. $399 dealer fee. Need to see and drive before I'd even consider dropping any coinage into this puppy buy the pics look favorable. Sorry I don't have more for ya but is he totally out of whack here? This would be a all cash deal if all checks out.
    What say you on the price they are asking?

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    what is the price they are asking?

almost the same car I am about to go out and drive in NJ. Same miles, but it is a 2006 330ci. But essentially the same car.

• Options
    It's a 2005 and they want $11,495 plus the $399 dealers fee. The guy said the price is not that negotiable so am thinking maybe $11k plus tax might bring this puppy home. But the wife is going to be the glitch here. Posed it to my oldest last night and she didn't seem to enthusiastic which surprised me as I thought she'd be on board. Well, it won't be back till Monday so I will go test drive it and see where this goes. I need to actually drive it first and actually touch and feel everything and go from there...it's pointless if the thing is a real dirty dog! But I really love the color combo, haven't seen one like it before. And also, not sure if I could own a German vehicle actually...not sure at all! i know my kid won't be happy!

The Sandman

• Options
    "…I just called and it is in the shop for maintenance."

This may be a red flag, in my experience, a used car dealer usually isn't going to spend money on a car unless it's something that's completely worn out (bald tires, brakes down to the backing plate, etc.), and then they'll typically do the least expensive thing possible, which is not what you would do if you owned the car.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Yes, this did send me a red flag to be honest but I really have to take a look first hand to see what i am really dealing with here. I won't be devestated if it doesn't work out as this is not something I really need to have, I just want to treat myself for my 59th b-day. And I was left some $ from my dad and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me treating myself to this as I have worked hard, have been a good parent and provided for my family and deserve to be happy. And with my love of the automobile and living in South Florida, a convertible is the most fun I can think of right now. My neighbors have motorcycles, one even got a used Porsche recently to add to his 2 vehicles and motorbike so it's not that unusual on my street to do this. I have no hobbies to speak of except my vehicles which I am finally getting back into washing and waxing, my spinal issues are still bad but if I take it easy, I can wash one car a day without too much agony.
    Luckily, there are some good dealerships near our casa where I can get good used vehicles and if not a BMW, something else then. I just saw this one on Autotrader and the color combo was outstanding and it has the alloys that I like on it. The miles/year isn't really that bad, comes out to maybe 10k or less/year and hopefully it wasn't abused. And if it was a one owner vehicle, so much the better...i know most folks don't take care of their vehicles like I do but many do an even better job and with German vehicles, many do treat them extra extra nice. So who knows but will start my search next week. My insurance guy said the additonal expense won't be that bad...about $600 for the year since we already have two vehicles on our policy and are good drivers...and seniors now. I am hopeful here and can live with things if this particular vehicle is not the one as I have time on my side here!

The Sandman

• Options
    yeah, I am all over the place. so shoot me.

found this. seemed like a decent price?

2009 328i. 4 door, slushbox. RWD. 51K on the clock. In Joisey.

white over beige. premium, climate and navi, so well loaded. looks nice and clean, local car, tidy carfax.

BMW dealer asking 17K even, which seems to be on the low end of the scale. Not certified I don't think.

• Options
    the 2006 I drove (84K on it) has a few issues. Sunvisor had fallen off (my daughter did that last time we looked at it), the faux wood trim on the dash was popped off at one end. And the oil light came on (supposedly the one telling you the car is low on oil).

quite a few creaks, squeaks, groans and noisy, but I guess you get that with an old convertible. It did drive nice though...

• Options
    Going over Monday if it is back from service just to test drive it. From the pics it looks pristine and even the fake wood dash looks bright and not hazy from the elements. The guy I spoke with said the price is pretty firm as he said it's kinda low for the year but the mileage is a bit over 88k, but it is almost 10 now. Great color, gray over gray, which I really love and it has the right alloys. Called my insurance guy and he figured about an extra $600/year but he didn't have the vin so he used an example but still, that ain't that bad since we already have 2 vehicles on our policy. And it hasn't passed the wife test as I have the cash for everything sitting in the bank so that won't be an issue...the oldest thinks I am nuts but I want to give myself a 59 birthday gift cause who knows if I will make 60...my other siblings died by 58 so I have beat the odds here.
    I like the one you are looking at but I just want a toy here as my Civic is really in such great shape makes no sense to trade it and figure I can split the miles between the two and even let the wife use it when she wants to...and I think once she drives it, she will love it! She's like yours, a vehicle is an appliance to get from point A to point B, she don't get excited like I do. Just waiting to hear back from Q to see if it's priced right as they do have a $399 dealer fee plus the Florida tax. Then the mechanic would have to give it the once over. Want to get all the ducks in a row before I approach Mrs. Sandman...this is going to be a battle I think but luckily I am not emotionally invested here. I'd like it but won't die if it doesn't pan out but I do want a toy for myself as I've done real good this year with going back to work and all...I deserve something nice as this is my only hobby. I don't drink or go out with the guys, don't blow $ on crap though i am a procrastinator and a bit messy...in other words a regular male! So I am hoping she will just say yes as I hate to just do it, our marriage isn't done that way.
    Keep me posted on your progress and maybe we can both punch our cards before years end...this is so out of character for me, honestly, i am not this impulsive and usually think things to death but this is something I just want with no hard thinking!

The Sandman

• Options
    I'm pretty sure most of those cars need to have the coolant system redone by then. Just something to check.
  • Options
    Yes, so I've heard. The more research I've done, the more I think this is not the right vehicle for me right now. Still plan to test drive it but not so sure about pulling the trigger any time soon. All depends on what work has been done to it and hopefully the BMW store will be able to provide those answers for me. Don't think that there's a long line of folks looking at this particular vehicle and I am not emotionally attached to it yet. I need to touch and feel it before that could happen but now that they know there is some interest in it, they might do what's necessary to move it off their lot. Seems to be a smaller independent operation so bet they'd want it off their books and the cash in their account...and I refuse to finance this, cash on the nose for me.
    Any other suggestions folks, please keep them coming as I'd hate to make a mistake if I do pull the trigger!

The Sandman

• Options
    If either of you still needs info, just repost it. I saw several test drives on the CCBA board that seem to have ruled out some cars?

• Options
    4 door, AT. Premium/climate/Nav. 51K on it. White over beige. No sport pack. at a BMW dealer, but not certified. Clean carfax. Nice pictures.

• Options
    chuckster12chuckster12 Member Posts: 25
    Located in Denver.
    Red w/ gray cloth.
    New Michelins 4k miles ago
    Good condition, a few parking lot dings. No prior damage or repairs.
    Serviced at Honda dealer - all receipts.

Considering a Pilot or Highlander.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    the nav probably pushes it up around that $16k number at the block.

• Options
    8k-8500

• Options
    I thought it was cheap at 17K at a BMW dealer. Seems to be off the site now so must have been sold.

• Options
    chuckster12chuckster12 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks!
  • Options
    seank2seank2 Member Posts: 79
    After a long and drawn out saga involved the Acura TL I asked about several weeks back, it's no longer in the running. Long story short, the dealer tried to "fix" the parking marks on the bumpers by having them resprayed. Twice. And they still don't match. So much so that my 65 year old mother, without her glasses, could see the problem on my iPhone picture.

Nevertheless, the same dealer has this:

2011 Buick Lacrosse CXL

midnight blue metallic over light grey leather
    3.6 V6, 6 speed auto
    27,2xx miles
    Very well loaded: dual auto climate, heated seats, nav/backup camera and sensors, xenons, chrome 18" wheels with brand new Michelin Pilot MXM4s, remote start, panorama roof, bluetooth, XM/CD stereo
    Includes the "comfort and convenience package"
    Its a one owner CPO car.
    Location is Brunswick, Georgia, off 95 between Savannah and Jacksonville
    Dealer is asking $23, 697

http://www.nalleyauto.com/certified/Buick/2011-Buick-Lacrosse-9d37294e0a0a00024d- 63d039eb07137c.htm

Buick wasn't even anywhere near my radar. But I travel a lot for business, and drive 20-25,000 miles a year, occasionally with clients, so I need something comfortable for long trips through small rural towns. I took this Buick for a short test drive thinking I would hate it, but I was very impressed.

The other part of the equation is my trade/CarMax/private sale:

2007 Mercedes R320CDI
    3.0 V6 DIESEL, 7sp AT, AWD
    96,1xx miles
    Brilliant silver over Ash (light gray) MB TEX
    dual auto climate, sirius, Nav, pano roof , front and rear parking sensors, power hatch
    It will get a good detail before it goes away, but otherwise is in good shape.
    2 owner, spent the first 4 years of its life in Fort Lauderdale as a lease
    It does, however, have a bad carfax that showed up, conveniently, 2 weeks after I bought it.
    Aftermarket warranty until 113K, which I know is meaningless to a dealer.

It's been a great car, but has spent way too much time in the shop, and its starting to make some noises again, so I'm thinking its best to cut it from the herd before my mechanic, who I'm on a first name basis with, and his wife, gets to keep it for a few more weeks.

Its a diesel R Class, which is very rare, and the best thing going for it. There are exactly two for sale in a 200 mile radius, which is a bonus. Maybe.

What say the masters on both of these?
  • Options
    "It does, however, have a bad car fax that showed up, conveniently, 2 weeks after I bought it."

Can you tell how extensive the damage was?
  • Options
    Damage is not severe at all. Both headlights and the grille were replaced, but there is no evidence of any other screws being turned, or any sheet metal replaced. The front bumper cover appears to be original too.
  • Options
    Roundabout $18k auction. If it is truly CPO (I know nothing about Buick CPO) and has the big warranty and all that, $23k isn't unreasonable.

The benz is a little iffy. A dealer probably wouldn't be terribly comfortable over $10k on it. But $11k isn't an unreasonable demand on your side.

All in all, I think a $12k difference should make everyone happy.

• Options
    Thanks for the help. I know you can't predict the future, but the benz will have 100,000 miles by the end of the year. Would your numbers be any different today, if everything else the same, the car had right over 100,000 miles? Like 102 or 106,000?

I'm quite a bit more upside down than I anticipated, so I'm trying to decide if its best to cut my losses and eat the negative equity now, or should I hang on for another 6 or 8 months until the warranty expires at 113,000, keep making payments, pay extra as I can and dump it next summer/fall. If the price won't change that much I'll keep it, but if the value will be significantly less because of the mileage, I'll unload it now.
  • Options
    probably not a big change. Those with high 90s and those with low 100s are pretty much the same right now.

• Options
    veersveers Member Posts: 81
    NYC
    2009 Toyota Camry LE Automatic
    4 Door
    2.5L 4 Cyl
    FWD?
    43,000 Miles
    Silver Ext / Grey Int
    VSC + Traction Control + Carpet Mats
    Only serviced at the dealer, perfect mechanical condition. Rear Bumbper nice and scratched up from NYC parallel parking.
    Tires around 50%, front brakes replaced, rear brakes solid.
    No accident history.

What should I be getting for this from a dealer/carmax? What should I charge a friend private party?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Asking this on Craigslist and it's obviously too high as have had only a few calls...got to lower the price but with such low mileage, 47.4k, hard to correctly value it. Thinking it's closer to $9k at this point so will have to adjust the price in the morning and see where that gets me. Best case scenario, I sell it before I purchase another and have to rent a vehicle as I can't borrow my kid's because she needs it herself. And I need a way to get around. But I'd love that option right now, truly! To have the added cash in the account and then be able to choose what I really want is the ultimate reason I started to do this whole exercise.
    So, tomorrow morning, I drop the price and then try to add pics of it and see where that leads me. truthfully, I thought by now I'd have it sold by now since there are so many folks down here who want good used transport. And so many of us maintain our vehicles very well but want to swap out for various reasons. Personally, I'd love to buy a vehicle from a guy like me because I would know it has been kept up pretty well and that if a problem did crop up, that person would've taken care of it quickly...and the right way to begin with. A cream puff vehicle, worth the price that is being asked...but that is the hard part!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades: