Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• sparxussparxus Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your reply.

The reason why I switch to E85 is not to save money, but to stop supporting the mid-east countries from profiting and financing terrorism.

Peace.
  • mrgtomrgto Member Posts: 5
    Hi. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your van? I have the same trouble. Thanks
  • mrgtomrgto Member Posts: 5
    Hi. Did you get your van fixed? My van does the same thing. Thanks
  • rondragrondrag Member Posts: 3
    You just saved me so much money with this trick. My speedometer needle was stuck under the bottom peg as well on a 2004 Chrysler Town and Country after having some unrelated electrical work. The trip meter reset trick... did the trick! And wow, what a light show!

Thanks again,
    Ron
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    code 0135 is for Oxygen sensor 1/1 heater element malfunction. No code 1684 is listed, could you have misread it?
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Which model designation is the short wheelbase model? We are interested in 2004/2005 short wheelbase models.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Not sure what your question is. The Town $ Country comes in short and log wheelbase models. The Dodge products are Grand Caravan is LW and Caravan id Short. I believe that is correct.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    There are several T & C models that are LWB - for example, LXi and Touring.

What model designation signifies SWB?

If I look in a list of Caravans, and I want a SWB, I look for Caravans as opposed to Grand Caravans. And there are Caravan SE's, Caravan Sports, and Caravan SXT's.

So, how can I look at a list of T & C's on Cars.com and tell from the model designation which are short wheelbase?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Per the Chrysler web site, the "Town & Country" is a SWB, all other models are LWB (i.e. T&C-LX, T&C-Touring, T&C-Sprint Special Edition, T&C-Touring Signature Series, T&C-Limited).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jwbcpajwbcpa Member Posts: 2
    I have had the exact same experience with my 2001 Town and Country. Have you resolved any of your issues? I have been told many times now that nothing is wrong and yet my engine light remains on...after being reset 5 times now. It may have nothing to do with the light, but my gas mileage has drastically decreased (to 15 mpg). I have changed all filters with no change. My drivers side window does the same thing. I have found that it usually goes all the way up if you do not go all the way down.
  • jwbcpajwbcpa Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the same problem. I am down to 14 mpg. My engine light has been on for 6 months now. My local mechanic says it is nothing to be concerned about...but this gas mileage is ridiculous. I was getting around 21-23 mpg. Is my only recourse to trade? Thanks.
  • ljoyeljoye Member Posts: 2
    2001 T&C LX, A/C hissing from under passenger side dash. Also passenger side vents are blowing cold air but driver sides are warm. Any suggestions?
  • yasminmkyasminmk Member Posts: 6
    Hi!
    Would like to get your opinion: I bought my '98 T & C Lxi five months ago from my boss (I had been driving it for the past three years as a nanny). Gave me a really good discount so I don't owe anything on it. However, have spent $$$$ in repairs in the first three months of ownership. The van had 97, +++ when I bought it so it could be normal wear and tear. Recently, on a family outing, the front rocker arms broke and we had replaced for around $179. The mechanic said, they don't know the condition of the back rocker arms but the valves definitely need to be replaced and that it would cost around $1500. Would it be worth it to just get a newer used car or brand new car or (gulp) put in another major repair and keep the van, hopefully, for another three years?
    A broken rocker arm? Bad valves? Yeesh, it sounds like that poor thing has been rid hard and put away wet (over and over and over again) with little or no maintenance.

The truth of the matter is that the 3.3/3.8 liter engines (I assume yours has the 3.8) are very robust with some reaching well into the 300,000 mile range with just normal maintenance. That having been said, if yours has been abused (and if what your mechanic has told you is true, it has) I might be inclined to unload it.

Of course, getting rid of it in favor of another car of unknown history is a gamble as well. If the body of your LXi is in good shape, it might well be worth fixing the engine and driving it into the dirt. Think about it this way, even if both the engine and the transmission fail tomorrow you should be able to get them both replaced for less than $4,000 (used but serviceable engine and factory reman transmission).

Were I in your shoes, I'd be inclined to have a "leak-down" compression test performed, and if that comes back good (and assuming the valves really are bad -- something I'm having a hard time believing), then I would probably have both cylinder heads pulled, reconditioned and put back on. If nothing else, I think a second opinion regarding the condition of the engine is in order here.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • yasminmkyasminmk Member Posts: 6
    Hi! Thanks for the reply and the advise. Guess what? Not only did the "broken rocker arms" noise start coming on, now there's this high screeching sound, rattling under the hood. I think it's safe to say that my husband and I have had enough. Waaaaaa! I asked one of two mechanics that I have been going to: it'll cost $4,066 to replace whole engine, labor included. It would be nice to keep the van since we don't owe anything on but it's just been giving us grief upon grief.

Again, thanks for the good advice.
    "I asked one of two mechanics that I have been going to: it'll cost $4,066 to replace whole engine, labor included."

The question is, "Replace it with what?" A new/rebuilt engine? Total waste of money.

With a used (but still very servicable) engine? I'm thinking that the cost should be less than half of what you were quoted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S. Check my profile for my private E-Mail address if you want to discuss this any further as I'm thinking that we're getting a little off topic here. ;-)
  • rogerlawsonrogerlawson Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2002 T&C Limited, and so far, we love it. However, when we recently tried to install child safety seats in the third row, we found that the LATCH system (Lower Anchors and upper Tethers for CHildren) described in the owners manual does not exist for the third row -- though the manual clearly says it does. The "captains chairs" in the second row do have them (2 steel lower anchors in the back of the seating area and 1 tether anchor on the back side of each seat), but we need to seat our twin grandchildren (just turned 2) in the third seat so their parents can tend to them from the second row.

I made an appointment with the local police who have a program for guiding folks in the installation of child safety seats (supposedly up to 90% of them have not been properly installed). They were very helpful, but could not figure out where the tether should be attached. [The lower anchors can't be attached either, but the seat belts, though not as safe or convenient, should be a reasonable substitute.]

The safety officer suggested I contact the dealer which I did. The person at the dealer had no idea and was not willing to pursue it (I had not purchased the van from them.), but he gave me the number of the Chrysler Customer Care Center which I also called. When I finally got through to a human, she was very courteous, but knew nothing about installing the seats. She read from the 2002 manual and confirmed that the anchors should be there, but could not offer further advice or information. She gave me the number of the child seat experts -- which I had assumed would be someone within Chrysler who knew something about their LATCH systems.

It turns out that she had given me a wrong number (some other agency) of the government agency who administers child restraint safety regulations. When I finally got to the right person, they were very helpful, but were not able to suggest a suitable anchor point. However, they did indicate that they would look into it and get back to me next week. I asked if they had the number of their child safety contact in Chrysler (which they did not), but promised to try to find one.

So is this a widespread problem? Or am I the only one with the missing LATCH anchor points in the third row seats?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. We are planning a week-long family vacation trip in two weeks..

Thanks in advance.

Roger
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    I think you should take your van to a Daimlerchrysler dealer and have them to look at it and verify that the third row bench is the correct one for this model. We have an 01 DCG EX with the 50/50 third row bench and have the latch anchor points on each seat towards the bottom. Did you feel around down there, to make sure that the fabric from the seat isn't covering them? :)
  • rogerlawsonrogerlawson Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. My daughter-in-law, two police safety officers (trained in child restraint systems) and I all searched for the latch points in vain. We found them easily in the second row seats. So far the dealer has been of little help, but I will go in person and ask them verify that is the original seat. I think it is since the blue leather matches the other seats exactly. But I'll check anyway.

This is my first Chrysler van so I'm not completely familiar with all the seating options. My third seat is a bench with seating & belts for three. There is also a fold-down armrest, fwiw. Is that what you mean by a 50/50 bench?

The biggest issue is the absence of an designated tether anchor point. The owners manual indicates that there are 3 but no more than 2 should be used at once. However, the bench has only one, in the center. Naturally, we would like to seat the twins in the outboard positions.

Thanks for your advice!
    This is my first Chrysler van so I'm not completely familiar with all the seating options. My third seat is a bench with seating & belts for three. There is also a fold-down armrest, fwiw. Is that what you mean by a 50/50 bench?

The 50/50 third-row bench is two separate seats that form one bench. You can take half of the third-row bench out or fold and tumble it forward for more cargo space.
  • arlo89arlo89 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chrysler T&C LXi with 76,000 miles on it. Car ran perfectly until last week when I couldn't get it started. Towed it to the mechanic who said I needed a new fuel pump/filter. He replaced that, as well as the master cylinder (which was leaking) and front supports (which were broken). Had the car home 24 hours and was out driving when it started shaking and decelerated to 15 mph. I managed to get into a parking lot where it died. Towed it back to the mechanic who said it was a faulty fuel pump, he replaced it, we brought it home again, and not 24 hours later, experienced the same deceleration/dying in a parking lot. Any idea what's going on?
  • hardage5hardage5 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 99 t&c and it didn't come with a very good owners manual. I would really like to set the drivers memory seat. Can someone tell me how to set this please??
  • triathletewolftriathletewolf Member Posts: 1
    We had the window problem and they replaced the control switch in the door, but ours was under warranty.
  • sparxussparxus Member Posts: 3
    As an update for everybody, I've been getting 17 mpg in the city on E85.
  • jimc101jimc101 Member Posts: 2
    My 99 just started doing this. Did you ever solve the problem? I had it in the shop and they found a fuse under the dash that appeared to fix the problem. That was a few weeks ago and today it started and died several times, then wouldn't crank over.
  • 98tclxi98tclxi Member Posts: 5
    I had the mechanic change out the whole dash unit, evidently there are 2 or 3 computer modules...the main one would have been a $600 part, I think.

Anyhow, upon changing out that dash unit I have not had a problem...it has been 3 months without incident, now. I drive with confidence. I cringed those first few turns of the ignition...now, it is like having an old friend back. Good luck. If you want the name and number of my mechanic man, let me know, before he heads to Florida!
    Merry Christmas.
  • jimc101jimc101 Member Posts: 2
    Are you in the chicagoland area? If so, I'll take his number.
    Thanks
  • 98tclxi98tclxi Member Posts: 5
    hello...
    No, I am in Maine...but my mechanic who use to work for Chrysler, but retired, has a small shop he putters in and winters in Florida.

I would be happy to forward Al's info to you, if you email me at jreynold@maine.rr.com.

It was a frustrating issue for me that I struggled with for about 6 months. I brought it to the local dealership and others, but only Al got it up and running successfully.
  • chantel0206chantel0206 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into purchasing a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country XL Sport Van (3.3L, V6). We really love the ride, the look, the size, etc. but are concerned about the mileage...it has 134k. We were told they are highway mileage for job commuting. There's nothing on the Carfax report and the owner/mechanic claims to have reconditioned the van (can show service records)...changed air conditioner/heater unit, alternator, etc. I have read mixed reviews. A friend says "no way", the transmissions are known to blow on these. It's not worth the chance. I will bring it to a mechanic for a once over before deciding. I also welcome positive and negative feedback on this. Please help!
  • billlauxbilllaux Member Posts: 4
    I owned a 1999 T&C LX and was told the same thing about the transmission problems. Put a lot of miles on the van with no problems and gave it to my daughter who is still using it. I just bought a 2002 T&C EX for my wife. We also love the T&C vans. Van is in perfect shape and runs great. You can tell how the vehicle has been kept up by it's looks and the servic recorrds and the CarFax report. My advice is to buy it if it is in great condition.
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    We own a '96 LXI. Purchased it with 59k miles. Now have 92k on it. This is our 3rd DC minivan ('90 Grand Voyager SE, '94 Grand Caravan LE). First two had to have trannies rebuilt. I was diligent about service, and thought I was a good owner for having the transmission fluid & filter changed before the recommended mileage. Wrong. Most service places at the time used cheap transmission fluid, not the more expensive ATF+3 stuff. Soon afterwards the transmissions failed.

My experience with the '96 LXI is entirely different. It came with all maintenance records, and it was clear the transmission had not yet been serviced. I changed the fluid and filter myself. Even the guy at NAPA tried to sell me the wrong stuff. MUST BE ATF+3, I insisted.

Recently it has been slow to go into gear when first starting up. It has been cold up here in MN the last couple of weeks. Wife assumed the worst ("Time for another rebuild, eh?"), but I recalled that everytime I changed the oil I would see a drop or two of tranny fluid hanging from the hoses that go to the transmission cooler under the radiator, so figured after 3 years it must have finally lost just enough to make a difference. There was never any on the garage deck. I had to drive it a bit to get fluid warm enough to measure it on the dip stick. Sure enough, it was down 1/2 a quart. Now it runs like a top.

From what I've read, the trannies in the '96 model on up are much, much better than earlier models. My wife and I love the vehicle. I'll take it in someday to cure the teeny tiny leak, but the trick is to find a reputable transmission shop where the service rep won't come at you with a "gotta rebuild it, man!" analysis.

So, yeah, if the wrong fluid is used during routine maintenance, these trannies will turn ugly on you. But if they're fed a healthy diet of ATF+3 (or now ATF+4), they run wonderfully.

Hope this helps.
    Had a 96 Dodge Caravan (Now have a 03) I noticed the trans loosing a bit of fluid too. Found out that the hose clamps that go from tranny to radiator were loose and leaking fluid, they are hard to see and adjust but if you follow the rubber hoses you will see where they go to the radiator (driver's side near the top)Tighten those clamps and you will loose no more fluid.
    If you have all the maintenance records, everything looks fine with the body and under the hood, it drives fine and the trans. shifts fine. I say go for it. (I'm sure with the high mileage, you will be paying below blue book value and probably won't have a car note. :P) We have a 01 DGC EX that we bought used in Sep. 03 with only 37K. We have over 84K now and she still runs great with no trans. or mechanical problems. The only thing that I don't like, but not a big deal, is the links and bushings for the front suspension have had to be replaced twice in over three years of ownership. As soon as it gets warmer here in Chicago, I will try to replace these parts myself. With all the cold weather, high's around 10 degrees and lows around -5 degrees, with snow, no problems with anything. :)
    Thank you for the tip, Hayneldan. With low temps around 10 below and highs of only 5 above, I think I'll wait until things warm up a bit before I track down that there clamp and tighten things up. By the way, the transmission has been running just fine since topping off the ATF+3 fluid the other day. Thanks again. Ken
  • hanegrtchanegrtc Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 T&C LX with 53k miles. I just brought it into the dealership to have transmission and radiator fluids flushed. Then had them check the humming noise from the front end when steering right or left. I was called back today and was told that the PS cylinder had a leak and bled the PS fluid into the boot where it caused a bulge. I was then told I would have to replace the steering gear because it was a matter of when it would fail. So, I'm looking at a $900 repair bill. I asked if this should be covered by powertrain warranty and was told probably not. Does anybody know if this is correct? If not, how can I minimize my repair cost?
  • jabrouiljabrouil Member Posts: 1
    Is it normal for the PERFORM SERVICE message to display each time I start my van? I just purchased the vehicle and they were not sure.
    How can I reset it if needed?
    the service interval can be changed by pushing the step button on the overhead display until the service interval comes up. then select the mileage you want the display to come up. resetting the service interval after resetting the distance press the step button again it should now read yes or no, press yes the perform service indication should now not be displayed. All this is in the owners manual.
  • jotjot Member Posts: 4
    How does one adjust the headlight?
    TIA
    Just a follow-up to post 2119 above...

With warmer weather with us, I decided to take a crack at finding and tightening those rubber hoses from the transmission to the radiator per Hayneldan's post. On our '96 it turns out the best way to access the clamps is by removing both large parts of the air cleaner element housing, which isn't too difficult. Once removed you can easily see both hoses and all four connections. My advice, though, is to have a new air cleaner element on hand so you can change it at the same time.

Anyway, yes, all of the clamps needed some tightening. I'm hopeful that will take care of the minor transmission fluid leak.

Thanks for the tip!
  • linkclinkc Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyway to set the Nav to just go straight to the map after the data loads? It's a real pain to have to click thru the opening screens every time I start the car.

Thanks.

LC
  • mrgrumpy92mrgrumpy92 Member Posts: 1
    My speed odometer and Tachometer was pegged out after my battery went dead. I took your advice regarding TRIP button. IT WORKED! I appreciate you posting this information. I thought I was going to spend Big Money.
    Thank you.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    No problem, only repeated what I have read elsewhere.
  • iamwithmeiamwithme Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2007 T&C limited 4 days ago. I was not told before hand that the radio/nav system, climate control, cruise control on the steering wheel, and a few other things were not illuminated when you turn on the headlights. This creates a huge problem when driving at night and trying to adjust the temp or turn on the rear window wiper. has anyone else had with this? I can not see to use the controls on a vehical that cost nearly 40 grand!
  • iamwithmeiamwithme Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2007 T&C limited 4 days ago. I was not told before hand that the radio/nav system, climate control, cruise control on the steering wheel, and a few other things were not illuminated when you turn on the headlights. This creates a huge problem when driving at night and trying to adjust the temp or turn on the rear window wiper. has anyone else had a problem with this? I can not see to use the controls on a vehical that cost nearly 40 grand!
  • markj1smarkj1s Member Posts: 1
    My wife & I are having the same problem. I took your advice & bang on the dash & it started right up. I want to know what were the cost associated w/ replacing the circuit board? :confuse:
  • kenzafankenzafan Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased 2005 grand caravan ES. It had no radio or cig lighter. Attempting to analize & repair I pulled battery out to check fuse block for possible bad connections at plugs, sockets,fuses, etc. found nothing wrong & reassembled all. Still no radio & cig lighter. I then tried to check for voltage going to the missing two accessories. The 12 volt line to them was dead. I was going to replace the fuse block with an electronic block attached before replacing I unplugged a small black item from under the battery. After having it unplugged for a half hour or so I reinstalled it after trying to check out. I found nothing wrong. After complete reassembly of the battery and all parts, the radio was restored as was the cig lighter. It has been two months & still working!!! Good luck...Ken
  • tundra6tundra6 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2002 T&C LXi AWD roughly 30 days ago, our 3rd from Chrysler.When you get close to a full turn [left or right] situation, while moving, the front wheels seem to drag. It acts like an AWD unit is not correctly clutching the front wheels. I have changed the front units fluid out. I thought it worked but it now only does it if its on the road for an hour ot more, heat related. The van has 93,000 and is in great shape. Anyone else had this problem ?
    This is a follow-up to post 2124, which was a follow-up to 2119...

Just changed the oil and noticed that the tightened tranny cooler lines to the radiator are still doing their job. When they were tightened last March I wiped everything dry, and all connections are still dry. Thanks, again, Hayneldan. That was indeed the simple solution.
  • illgillg Member Posts: 1
    Sounds similar to what my 2002 has been doing. Only happens when I'm going slow and have my wheels turned like pulling in/out of a parking slot or into a parking lot not on the open road. My mechanic says that it is the power steering fluid cooler. Needs to be replaced. He also says the Chrysler knows that this is a problem for these cars but they have not issued a recall on it only notices/alerts. Mine is in the shop right now to fix it. About a $300.00 issue
  • shakes67shakes67 Member Posts: 9
    I had so many problems with my town/country with 12,000 miles on it. I couldn't get help from the Corp customer service the dealer wouldn't help service department had the car for six times/27 days total. I tried to work something for another car and the dealerattempted to fleece my pockets. I had to go to arbitration to get a service tech to show up with a lawyer. I lost because they said it was an autostarter installed by the dealer. I never heard of a fuel pump going down because of an autostarter. I asked the tech why did it take me to come here for you to hear my complaint and never said a word. If you want to my opinion there it is. buy a Honda and if your buy American go GM.
This discussion has been closed.