Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town and Country EX/LX/LXi/Limited

Comments

• cgaydoscgaydos Member Posts: 116
    Depends on the refinance scenario. Mortgage companies usually use a payments-to-gross monthly income ratio test as part of the qualification scenario. Car payments are factored into the equation. They've been known to tell customers to reduce the car payment as a precondition of the loan (I once had to sell stock to pay off a car to qualify for a mortgage). One way to reduce payment is to move some or all of the principle into the mortgage.
  • shepherd5shepherd5 Member Posts: 35
    I put $0 down. I only paid tax and license, got the 3.9%/60.
  • pepe11pepe11 Member Posts: 41
    Good point that I hadn't considered.

thks,
    Pete
  • pepe11pepe11 Member Posts: 41
    thanks for the info. If one is taking advantage of the low finance rates, it makes sense to put down $0, as cgaydos points out above.

Pete
  • smccarthysmccarthy Member Posts: 31
    A copy of a post from the Voyager/Caravan thread...

The airbag warning light comes on in our Ltd shortly after starting. It stays lit for 5-20 sec. I took it into the dealer on Friday for a check and was told my Airbag warning light was caused by the "clock spring". I was told that they are on 'colossal back order', especially for steering wheels with the radio controls built in. He said expect it in 1-2 weeks - that doesn't sound good. I expressed my concern about an airbag misfire or failure to fire and he said that the airbag is deactivated when the light is on - wont' fire - but as long as the light is off it should work fine. Also there shouldn't be any risk of misfire. Easy for him to say - it's not his wife behind the wheel!

Anyone out there have any knowledge of this? Sounds like the 'clock spring' is a growing issue for DC.

grh7 any input here????? Thanks!
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    Chrysler invites you to take an extraordinary test-drive without the pressure to buy!

Drive the popular PT Cruiser, the new Sebring lineup, and other extraordinary Chrysler vehicles at the Chrysler Proving Grounds. It's a free test-drive event that allows you to wind through a series of slalom turns and then pick up speed in a straight-line acceleration test. But, what's really exciting, this is not a sales event. There'll be no salespeople on-site. It's a simply a rare opportunity to drive some of the most innovative machines on the road.

The fun doesn't end on the course. After you've put the vehicles through their paces, there'll be interactive displays to enjoy, activities to participate in, and a full line of Chrysler vehicles to check out. Concept and historic Chrysler vehicles will be on-site, along with a golf range for you and putt-putt golf for the kids. A new PT Cruiser Tent will be set up this year. And, if all that isn't enough, you can drive the new Jeep Liberty at the Jeep 101 off-road course adjacent to the Chrysler Proving Grounds.

Chrysler Proving Grounds takes place August 16 to August 19 at Philadelphia Park. Sessions will be scheduled hourly from noon to 7pm on Thursday and Friday; 10am to 7pm on Saturday; and 10am to 5pm on Sunday. Choose the day and time that works best for you, and plan on making a two-hour time commitment. You must be 18 or older with a valid driver's license.

Space and time are limited. Call 1-888-TEST-CHRYSLER before August 10 to register.

Directions: Take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 6 (PA Turnpike). Follow west to Exit 28 (Philly, Route 1). On Route 1 South, proceed 1/8 mile to Street Road East (PA 132). Take Street Road for 2 miles to the track entrance (on the left). Follow the signs to event parking.
  • cgaydoscgaydos Member Posts: 116
    I wish I'd waited to see the crash test results before going with the T&C. Here's the article:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010717/ts/autos_crashtests_dc_3.html

Note that the crash test is rated POOR because of a gas leak that occurred. The reason for the delay in announcing the results (originally scheduled for March) was to allow DC to fix the problem (which they claim they can't duplicate). For 2002, the rating is ACCEPTABLE, and presumably also for 2001 cars that have the recall applied:

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0102_02.htm

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0102.htm

A view of all minivans in the offset test is here, the T&C falling just below the MPV:

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_passvans.htm

FWIW, I posted here a couple months back about a complaint on the NHTSA site regarding the leak after the crash test.

Would I make a different decision today given the crash test results? Probably. The T&C has been great, but I'd characterize the NHTSA and IIHS results as "sub-par" given that DC had time to study the Ford, Toyota and Honda results while designing this minivan (I'm taking into account the recall for the 2001 van in this assessment). If I was to do it again I'd either compromise on space and go with the Sienna or on comfort and go with the Honda.

As always, drive carefully.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Test Shows Dodge Minivan Gas Leak

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• jziskjzisk Member Posts: 4
    What do we need to do to force a recall on the 2001 fuel part that is defective? We need to campaign for this recall.
  • deacon1984deacon1984 Member Posts: 10
    I also have had problems with my A/C on my 2001 LTD. The first time I took it in, it did not blow cold air at all. The dealer said the unit was overcharged, and so it cut out. Since then I have had sporadic problems when the air blowing out is not very cold. I haven't taken it back yet, because the problem has been intermittent.
  • katewakatewa Member Posts: 24
    I have the following issues with my 2000 T&C LTD (26K miles in it now). Some of them have been present since I bought it, others are new.

1. Wind Noise - sounds like it is coming through the driver side window. I had it checked once and the dealer said they couldn't find a problem. I found a link in an earlier message about a TB but couldn't find it at the site.

2. Noisy idle - sounds like it might be the serpentine belt problem talked about. It hasn't ever come off but it sure is annoying and my feeling is when you spend 36K on a vehicle, it shouldn't idle like an old junker.

3. The emergency brake keeps needing to be adjusted. It wouldn't even catch at first. The dealer fixed it but it keeps messing up (the pedal goes almost to the floor before it holds)

4. The brakes have always squealed. Again, shouldn't have to put up with in an expensive car. Now, there is a rubbing noise when I brake.

5. Recently, when braking at freeway speed, it's developed a shimmy.

Any suggestions on the best fix for these problems? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer until I have a solid idea of the origins of these problems because I don't want them gouging me.

Thanks,

Kathy
  • jziskjzisk Member Posts: 4
    2001 owners

Require a Recall for the fuel tank - Submit a form today http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline/

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/grey_passvans.htm

From the above link, you will be able to see the detailed injury and cabin intrusion measures from the IIHS test and compare them to the other minivans. While this doesn't give the entire story, it does give you a good idea of why the IIHS assigned the ratings that it did.

Obviously as little cabin intrusion is best, and as low as possible injury indexes are the best. HIC is the Head Injury Counter; the IIHS can tell if the person would get a light concussion (Are there any light concussions? Probably not. All concussions are bad.) or a serious brain injury from the accident, if it was a real person instead of a dummy in the driver's seat.

Doesn't look like Chrysler will be recalling the vans because they think that the fuel leaks from the fuel pump/tank are not severe enough to warranty that.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • pozdolpozdol Member Posts: 3
    See my posting #1210 in the MY2001+ Chrysler Voyager/Dodge Caravan forum. I was reading some other postings noting poor fuel economy with T&C 3.8L engine. According to trip computer, my avg is running 13.8 mpg. I have 5600 mi. and 90% is city short trip. Took a 500 mi interstate trip (w/ AC running 2/3s of time) and still only got 16mpg.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    Hey Kathy, I too have a 00 Town & Country except mine is a LX model with the 3.3L V6 engine. I like the van very much and drive it everywhere. We now have 25k miles on it and it isnt even a year old. So far we have not had any problems. The only suggestion I can give you is not to worry about the idleing problem you sugguested because it isnt a problem. All Chrysler minivans make a "rattling" noise sometimes when they are in drive but idling. As for the other problems I would take it into a dealership and tell them what's up. Make sure its a five star dealership as well, just to make sure you get treated right. Hope this helps.
    -Adam
    Thanks for your response, Adam. I guess I just find it unacceptable to spend $36,000 on a car and have it be so noisy (between the brakes and the squeal in the engine compartment). My husband drives a 2000 Passat and it drives as nice today as it did brand the day he bought it.

But, I do plan to take it to the dealer after I take it to a reputable tire/brake dealer and have it looked over.

Kathy
  • mjtroiamjtroia Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a lease on a Jeep GC.

- Question: is Chrysler providing an extra incentive (beyond the $2000 rebate) for existing Chrysler owners who buy/lease a Town & Country? In essence, is their a "loyalty program" in place?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nothing like that shows up in the Incentives and Rebates for my area. Anyone?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• momof5momof5 Member Posts: 4
    None in our area, if it helps
    we were able to get $900 off MSRP on our EX which apparently no rebates/incentives are in place for.

It took time and [only] 2 lots. At the first lot the dealer said selling at MSRP' and walked away.

[Lot 2 beat carsdirect quote by $227 yet according to Edmunds we could of maybe done $780 better.]

hope this helps some...
  • scoyle1scoyle1 Member Posts: 14
    The following is the letter that I emailed to D/C regarding fuel leaks. I urge everyone else to do the same. You are free to use my language if you like. Thanks!

heir website 7/18/01 9:06 Am

I just learned of the Insurance Institute's recent crash test study and retest where they indicated that the 2001 Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Caravan's had the potential for fuel leakage upon a crash. I also learned that you have corrected this problem on all 2002 models but will not be recalling or repairing 2001 vehicles. As the recent purchaser of a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country Lxi AWD, I hereby request that you recall all 2001 Dodge Caravans and 2001 Chrysler Town & Country vehicles and repair this potential problem at your expense. Since this potential problem is now public knowledge, DaimlerChrysler will be fully liable should a crash and a subsequent fuel leakage occur that results in serious injury or, god forbid, death. I bought a Chrysler Town & Country because of your promise of safety. To not repair a potentially deadly error such as this is negligent and short sighted on your behalf. Please recall my vehicle and all of the other affected DaimlerChrysler products as soon as possible, or you will forever lose this customer and tens of thousands of other potential customers. Please do not repeat the mistakes of your predecessors. As one should realize from the recent Ford/Firestone controversy, courts will take a very unfavorable view of automobile manufacturers who fail to correct mistakes that they have been made aware of.

Please contact me at your very earliest convenience, as I fear for the safety of my wife and our 21 month old child.

Thank You!
    FWIW, the NHTSA has been investigating the model year 1996 to 2000 Chrysler mini vans because those vans spilled fuel in two government crash tests, but in a different area.

Here's the latest:
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/I/pa/20010717/as/daimlerchrysler_gas_leak_1.html

CRS Market watch story

Drew
    Host
    Vans, Subs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • ingramwd2ingramwd2 Member Posts: 15
    I think all concerned Canadian owners of 2001 DC Minivans should follow some of our US friends here and campaign for a recall based on IIHS crash test results.

Transport Canada:

http://apps.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/Recalls/recintro_e.htm#If

DC Canada Customer Assistance:

http://www.daimlerchrysler.ca/corporate/en/assistance.html

• scoyle1scoyle1 Member Posts: 14
    Well,

My wife called Chrysler today, and here is a transcript of the telephone call.

Wife - "I am calling because I recently saw numerous reports on the potential for a fuel leak in the Town & Country minivan, and we recently purchased a Town & Country minivan. I want to know what you are going to do about this problem."

Mathew Long from the DaimlerChrysler Recall Center - "this test wasn't done by Chrysler. It was done by an insurance company."

Wife - "Not an insurance company, by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety."

Mathew Long from DaimlerChrysler - "Chrysler has tested the car 50 times and was unable to replicate the results. There is no problem, and there is no action to be taken."

Wife - "Well if there is no problem, why did you redesign the 2002 model?"

Mathew Long from from DaimlerChrysler - "For safety's sake."

Wife - "That is exactly right, for safety's sake."

Mathew Long from from DaimlerChrysler - "Well we are always redesigning cars for safety's sake. We are always making them safer."

Wife - "I have had the car for 3 weeks. I refuse to drive it. I am not going to explode in an impact. I can not get my daughter out of the car seat quickly enough. I want to know what Chrysler is going to do."

Mathew Long from from DaimlerChrysler - "Nothing."

Wife - "So you are saying that for safety's sake it was redesigned, but you are going to do nothing."

Mathew Long from DaimlerChrysler - "I am sorry, but it is our position."

The DaimlerChrysler recall center then gave my wife the number 1-800-992-1997 for customer service in Detroit. I have called the dealer to return the car. Luckily, the dealer had a 30 day/1,000 mile return policy. Needless to say. They are very unhappy with me and said that the report was media induced, yada, yada, yada.
  • toyotatoyota Member Posts: 3
    My Chrysler Town and Country's driver side mirror is broken. The only problem is that the glass is shattered and it doesn't fit back in. A dealer is offering to fix the problem for $250. This is obviously high. Anyone know a better deal or has experienced a similar problem?
  • enfuego1enfuego1 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a T & C 2001 LXi last weekend, only to just find out about the fuel leak problem. I believe that I saw a mention in one of the posts in this forum that certain 2001 T & Cs -- those manufactured after July 3 -- have been retrofitted (like the 2002s) to avoid this problem. Although I doubt that I am lucky enough to have purchased a retrofitted van, hope springs eternal. How do I check the date of manufacture? Can it be determined from the vin #?

Also, does anyone know whether Chrysler has any plans to make parts available to have this problem fixed. I already assume that Chrysler is not going to agree to pay for this. However, I would at least like the option of being able to get this done, even if it is at my own cost. It's one thing to tell customers "we are not going to issue a recall". While this is bad enough, it's even worse to fail to provide customers with the ability to have the problem fixed, even at their own cost.
  • f1_nutf1_nut Member Posts: 10
    enfuego1,
    Look in the drivers side door jam. There is a sticker there that has date it was built along with a bunch of other data.
    I had this problem on an older car once and I just went to a glass shop and had them cut a piece of safety glass mirror to fit. They then glued it in with silicone glue. This isn't exactly the same glass as what is in there and it fogs up more readily but it is a cheap fix.

Kathy
  • jeriannjjeriannj Member Posts: 2
    We are debating an LXi vs. Ltd. The main reservation we have is the wearing of the seats in the Ltd. Does anyone have experience with this and how do they hold up?

The issue is that by the time we load up the LXi the way we want we may as well get a Ltd.

Thanks.
  • f1_nutf1_nut Member Posts: 10
    jeriannj,

We have a Limited and 2 kids, 2.5 and 5.5 years old, both boys. So far the suede is holding up quite nicely. We have already gotten food on the suede, but once it dries, it just scrapes right off. I have never tried to take food off while it was still fresh, because I have never seen the kids actually get food on anything. It's always some time later. There are no signs that anything ever happened, which is a relief. We got the blue interior with the boys in mind. We liked the Taupe, but thought the dirt would show up fast and be much harder to keep looking clean.

For us, when it came to decide over the LXi and the LTD, like you, there were so many options we wanted that came standard on the LTD, so we went with that. Another clincher for us, was the memory seats. Because my wife and I would both be driving it, it just made sense.

Good luck on your choice
  • vlisvlis Member Posts: 28
    We got the blue interior with the boys in mind. We liked the Taupe, but thought the dirt would show up fast and be much harder to keep looking clean.

That's funny. We passed up the blue for the taupe for just that reason. My Sebring's black interior shows dirt readily, and we were sure that dark blue would do the same. The taupe is kinda dirt color already. So far, so good (over two months, nearly 4K miles, several interstate trips).

As for LXi versus Limited, we've concluded the extra features of the Limited are worth it if you can afford it. We really like the memory seat/mirror feature in particular. The only thing we passed up was AWD. A lot of complexity, plus lower gas mileage. I never had a problem in snow with our '96 Grand Voyager.
  • kurtdkurtd Member Posts: 12
    I have a T&C LXI model with all the options except all wheel drive. I went to the dealership to find a Limited but they did not have the color I wanted. I found a 2001 Lei with a 3.8 engine, power lift gate and side doors, DC Changer, trailer package, and seat warmers. I also wanted and got the split third seat. It is very easy to remove.

Basically it had all the options of the Limited but the memory seats and chrome wheels. I figured that I saved about $1,400 dollars going with the LXI and forego the memory seats. I have about 10,000 miles on it and one problem (the steering fix recall). It is a very nice van.

The limited also has some minor trim difference such as heftier mats and minor trim. I felt that even though it was nice to have the extra minor stuff it was not worth $1,400. I also felt that the suede seats looked cheaper than the all leather. I was also concerned with the suede.

After having a 1985 and a 1993 Chrysler mini van which both reached over 100,000 miles with no problems I find that the Chryslers mini vans to be excellent. I have a bet going with my Dad who has a 2000 Honda Oddey van as far who will need work first. Take care of your van and it will last a long time.
  • jeriannjjeriannj Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to those of you who replied. I had thought about the memory seats because I mainly drive the van, however, my husband is 6'0 and I am 5'3 so when we travel it would be great.

Thanks for the other input too. It was funny both reasons for the covering the dirt. I like the taupe interior because of the larger feeling inside.

Hopefully we will decide soon. I am getting tired of all the options.
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    We are on our second LTD. We had a '99 and now a 2001. We've had no wear issues with the suede. The memory seats are great for the height difference between my wife and I. I also like the look of the chrome wheels, although cleaning them without spotting is a pain in the keyster. Does the Lxi have the chromatic dimming interior and driver's side mirror? That is one of the most useful features. I'd go for a Ltd.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Does anyone have any info on when '02's will be in the marketplace and what, if any, changes there are? Given issues on '01's (door locks/fuel spills)we would rather go with new year model instead of '01 version.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Disregard my post, found answer at #636 and assume dates are late Sept/Oct as usual in past. Thanks.
  • pigfanaticpigfanatic Member Posts: 14
    Hi...
    We just got back from a weekend-trip and we noticed some dripping on the passenger side floor.. seems to be coming from the air conditioner (we did have it running the whole time)
    I thought that I had read something on here about this problem, but now I can't find it. Any one have any ideas? I would rather know the fix before taking it in.
    Thanks!!
    IIRC, if the hose from the A/C evaporator is not connected properly, the water that is collected by cooling down the air will drip from the evaporator to the lowest point, which is basically just above the passenger footwell. Ordinarily, the hose should reroute the water so that it drips outside the vehicle.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    We own a 96 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.8 V6. Just returned from 880 mile trip from Raleigh NC to Chicago suburbs thru the mountains in Va and W Va and at 70 mph mostly with the air on got between 22 and 25 mpg with 3 people and luggage. Van has 49000 miles. Mileage picks up after the first 7-10,000 miles.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    You never said what mileage you had on your van, but if you notice the shimmy only on braking the rotors could be warped. Have your tires ever been rotated?
  • jimomartinjimomartin Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how much power can be transferred to the rear wheels, in slippery conditions, with the 2001 T&C AWD?
    Up to 90% of the power can be transferred to the rear wheels, I believe. Basically the more slippage there is at one end, the more power gets transfered to the other end via the centre viscous coupling limited slip differential.

Drew
    Host
  • fsiracusafsiracusa Member Posts: 1
    2001 AWD LXi with 6800 miles goes in for an oil change. On the way home it shudders at idle and has no power. The computer back at the dealership says the #2 cylinder is misfiring and it needs a new fuel injector ( plugs and wires are ok). Any similar problems out there?
  • david872david872 Member Posts: 11
    Pigfanatic - I posted a while back about the exact same thing. Dealer was no help. Was told I could bring it in but they doubted they would find anything. If something was wrong they said it would get worse. (Don't you love those kind of answers!) Fortunately it has not happened again -only once on a four hour trip. Have taken another 4 hour trip with no problems. I've decided to wait it out.
  • memawmemaw Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2001 T&C LX with 6000+miles and like it very much. Can anyone tell me if windvisors for 2001 are available yet. Will the 2000 visors fit?
  • kcf41kcf41 Member Posts: 8
    I would like to purchase a van that could last (without major mech. issues) @ 8 -10 years. Is a T&C built and proven to last this long?

Thanks.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    I do NOT know about T&C, but my sister got a 1986 Caravan SE with 4 cyl engine when it was one year old and kept it for about 10 years. It had 170,000 trouble free miles when she sold it and it is still running well for 3rd owner.
    Many of our neighbors drive DC minivans ranging from a 2000 GC LE to some that are the short, original version Caravan or Voyager. NOT one has had any major problems.
    HOWEVER, as with any vehicle, there is a chance of getting a lemon. Our experience has been about 50% of the ones we bought NEW have been virtually perfect and the other 50% had varying degrees of irritations. NOT one of the 19 vehicles we have owned has ever stranded us.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    Thats a very interesting question you ask, kcf41. We have had two DC minivans over the last three years and the combined mileadge of the two vans is about 100k miles. We did not have any trouble with our 98 Grand Caravan SE (70k miles) and we can say the same for our new 00 Town & Country LX (almost 30k miles).

If you asked me about the 2001 model DC minivans, I would say I doubt most would last that long without any major mechanical issues, simply because they are the first model year vans from Chrysler after the redesign. However, I think the updated 2002 models should be even more reliable than the 2001 models. It seems every year we see fewer and fewer problems with DC minivans.

For example, if you compare the problems people had with their 1996 model DC vans to the problems people are now having with their 2001 model vans, you would see a big difference. There would most likely be a much lower rate of transmission and electrical failures in the new vans. However, you might keep in mind that electronic gadgets (power sliding doors, rear hatch) are liable to fail in ANY minivan you choose to buy, including the Honda. In short, I would trust a 2002 model DC minivan to last quite some time.

Good luck with your choice. Chrysler has an awsome minivan lineup and all of their models offer alot of great features that will really spoil you (grochery gag hooks on rear seat, adjustable cup holders, tri-zone auto a/c, powered rear liftgate, power center console, Infinity sound system, ect). In my opinion, they are worth every penny.

-Adam
  • gatogonowgatogonow Member Posts: 17
    It is time to take action against Daimler Chrysler! Today the headlines have proclaimed the Chrysler Minivans as the "Most Dangerous Vehicle on the Road".

I am parking my van in front of my office at a busy intersection in Florida with a 4ft. x 8ft. sign that reads 5 Star Death Trap brought to you courtesy of Daimler Chrysler! It will stay there until the vechile is recalled and repaired, I urge everyone and anyone else that can to do the same.

Chryslers lack of response to this issue is unbelievable and will come back to haunt them. They should do what they will eventually do under embaressment anyway and recall these vehicles. Based on the way they have handled this situation, I will never buy another Daimler Chrysler product, it is criminal!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • gcintendergcintender Member Posts: 36
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
This discussion has been closed.