Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    sethitar: The presence of buttons that indicate your stereo system is capable of controlling a CD player are just that-- the unit is "ready" to accept (for example) a CD changer located in a remote spot. My learning this was in rather reverse order. I knew I did not have a CD player, and had only the tape player in my Villager. I shopped a bit for a way to put in a CD function, and was told by aftermarket people that if I had "radio" buttons that were labelled for CD functions (I do), that meant my unit was ready to control a remote player/changer if I decided to install one.

mdv: During the above search for CD function, I ended up talking to an aftermarket sound system shop man who happened to tell me the source of recent Ford Motor Company factory sound system equipment, which includes the origins of the Quest/Villager systems: CLARION.
  • gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    "if I had "radio" buttons that were labelled for CD functions (I do), that meant my unit was ready to control a remote player/changer"
    I'm assumning you're talking oem Nissan/Merc changer. Factory cd-changers/stereos, as in our Vills/Quests, employ digital bus-logic to accomplish head/steering/rear-seat functions. To go aftermarket you will need an expensive protocol translator to retain oem front/rear controls.
  • dnuggetdnugget Member Posts: 17
    This is getting to be frustrating. After re-setting the CEL and replacing the fuel vapor canister on my 2000 Villager, 20 yards away from the Service area the CEL came on again! I even replaced the OEM gas cap with Stant 2 days prior while the CEL was on, but did no good. This is the 3rd trip so the dealership will ask for tech advice from Ford. Two things hopefully will come out, a defective part or lack of troubleshooting skills/training. I'm about to embark on a 2400 mile trip due to military move so this is an inconvenience. Will give them a last chance to fix it, before I raise hell. Any advice????
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    98 Villager for about 6 weeks. I notice the shift from first to second is not as smooth as the other gear chages. My Taurus is the same thing. My Villager has 39k.

Maybe this is normal for the Villager?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I have the premium sound, so I guess that is the 130 watts with Amp. I suppose the display could have a seperate fuse or ground, but it doesn't seem likely. Everything else works, including the back lighting for the buttons.

I will let you all know what, if anything, the radio shop can do about it. If nothing, the wife gets a little stick on $2.99 LCD clock for the dashboard.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bikecop1bikecop1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Villager with 82,000 miles. Two of the dash lights are out. The ones lighting the right side of the speedometer and guages. Are these difficult to replace?
    The easy and more expensive way to upgrade the stereo to CD changer is to go for the Ford Corporation equipment. Going aftermarket brands of changers while retaining the Ford head unit in the dash requires an adapter cable with translating box in it. These adapters seem to cost near $100 each, plus or minus, but the overall outlay of money tends to still be less than going Ford Corp. Reports indicate that some adapter cables give less than excellent results.

The gas cap dilemma-- Seems to me the Mercury dealer here is acting a little like a deer trapped in the headlights. I think they know more about the history of this problem around the country than they are letting on. The reason? Because they don't have a solution, and they know it is part of the long warranty on the emission system. I let them know that I expect a solution. I have not had episode #2 yet, but expect it. I have discovered that my gas cap loosens in the neck of the filler tube by itself. Also, it requires close attention to even get it to tighten up at all on some occasions. Other times, it tightens on first try. Ford didn't have a "better idea" on this one!
  • 3dglasses3dglasses Member Posts: 11
    riswami,
    Thanks for the reply, 98' with 39K, WOW sounds good.

Any other insight on the tranny or the hard start? Bueler?
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    The early Vilager/Quests are known for weak fuel pumps. Hard starting may be a symptom your fuel pump is going out.

Try turning on the ignition, but not to the start position, for a few seconds to let the pump build up pressure, then crank it over. If it starts up quickly then, it may be the pump.

Another symptom of a fuel pump going out is a low speed miss or hesitation.

Also, a harsh shift from 1-2 may be from a bad or misadjusted TPS.

Hope this helps.

Dave
  • waynerpwaynerp Member Posts: 35
    This warning light has illuminated on my 2000 Quest, and filling the reservoir did not turn it off. The owner's manual says this feature is "Canada Only" - mine is a US model. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Yep mine had 38,700 when I bought it. Did a search right after I bought it (I know backwards!)and it was registered in January of 99. That's the only thing that showed on the report. I had seven days to return it if I choose.

The vehicle was bought new at the dealership I purchased it from. I was told a gentleman in his 70's was the original owner. The interior is perfect, leather seats, captain chairs in the middle row, sunroof, six cd, rear heat and radio controls and the electronic instrument cluster.

So about 39k checks out to about 12k a year. Filled it up four times and have gotten 20 twice and 21 twice. Very satisfied with the ride.

I'd say this year (98s) are not desirable to some people because there is no sliding door behind the driver. Not an issue with me or my wife. Also 98s were the last year of this run and seem to be fairly trouble free. The only thing I've learned reading these boards is the early models had manifold bolt problems and there are some electrical gremlins once in a while.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The crash tests results were better in '98 than '99 (and maybe the '00 models). One less slider means a "stiffer" body and fewer rattles. Two sliders are sometimes convenient, but I could live with just one.

Other common problems include a sticky throttle and interior switch and electrical problems.

Enjoy the ride!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    they are very reliable. Most people seem to have positive things to say about the Van Twins.

I'll see how this van ages; can't really tell until a vehicle gets 7 to 8 years old and over 100k.
    Has decided to order me a new gas cap for my 2000 Villager. All concerned agreed today that we hope this cures the gas-cap-that-will-not-stay-tight. It will be a week before it arrives.
    I agree - my '99 GXE Quest just passed 66,000 miles, so the jury is still out. 60k used to be my "marker" in the old days - now I expect to get past 100k w/o major mechanical/tranny problems.

(Touching wood like crazy here!)

Steve
    Host
  • cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    maintenance is due on my 99 Villager. any advice on the cabin filter? Install a new one or Just clean the old one? Any other advice will be welcome. TIA
  • 3dglasses3dglasses Member Posts: 11
    I have tried the fuel pump trick (turn on the key until you hear the fuel pump turn off). It helps some. I also asked my wife to switched to regular 89 octane gas and that seems helps too. I think a new fuel pump may be worth the effort. Any advice on the procedure?

ALSO, I found a TSB on hard shifting...
    Component Description:
    97.POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:UNKNOWN TYPE NHTSA Number: SB051583
    Bulletin Number: BC1022297230
    Bulletin Date: JAN 1997
    Vehicle: 1995 Mercury Villager
    Component Description:
    132.POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:UNKNOWN TYPE NHTSA Number: SB051452
    Bulletin Number: BC3372972301
    Bulletin Date: JAN 1997
    Vehicle: 1995 Mercury Villager
    Summary: A RESOLUTION FOR ERATIC AND/OR HARSH UPSHIFT- THE ROOT CAUSE IS MICRO PARTICLE DEBRIS IN THE TRANSMISSION VALVE BODY.

I don't have the info on how they fix it. Valve body cleaning or replacement?

"Also, a harsh shift from 1-2 may be from a bad or misadjusted TSP."

What is a TSP? Thanks in advance...
    Just replace the crappy Eagle LS tires on my wifes '99 SE Quest. Never could get them balanced and aligned (best guess is that 2 of them had shifted belts). Anyway, but on a set of Dunlop SP sport A2s. Tremendous diiference. No more sliding though corners, and spinning away from stop signs.

Havent really had a chance to put them through their paces (especially when on wet roads), but so far a huge improvement.

Made it 30K. The rears still had some tread, but I couldn't rotate them without putting the problem (pulling) childs on the front.

Now I just need a front brake job to finish the routine mainainance. Just trying to decide on the best pads to use. Any suggestions?

• budda1budda1 Member Posts: 3
    I just acquired a 1998 Villager. The dealer that I bought it from have 3 different brand of tires on the van but same sized thought. 205/75/15. I am looking to get the Pirelli P400 at 215/70/15 which have good ratings and cheap. Should I go with the bigger size or stick with the 205/75/15? I am also curious as to what octane fuel should I be using? Super (93), Special (89), or Regular (87) and what brand or it doesn't matter? Because My current Nissan maxima doesn't like Mobil but loves Amoco.
    Please advise.

Thank you.
    I would recommend going back to the tire size the manufacturer says to use. It has to do with power band optimization and transmission performance. I learned the hard way with an Explorer.
  • gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    Woh, seems a safety issue there. I would think 205s are undersized and pose a load rating hazard. If you got that from a dealer that could fall under a lemon law (that's why they take off points/money from your trade if they have to bring it up to "specs").
    I use 87 octane and gas isn't gas (Texaco is my choice).
    Today, my Merc dealer replaced my 2000 Villager gas cap with a new one he ordered in. The first time I laid a glove on it, I recognized that he had solved the problem. Here's the skinny:

The old cap would only tighten for about half an inch of friction travel until the "click" and no further advancing of the perimeter would occur. Over time, the cap would work loose from this tenuous at best grip. The new cap has a friction slide about triple or more compared to the old cap. I have no proof yet, but I am confident this is a problem solved. I'll drop the topic-- unless the problem returns.
    Just got the radio reinstalled in my '99 Quest (premium stereo system). The display has been fixed. No parts involved. They just had to resolder some connections, and the display has miraculously reappeared. My wife is happy again.

the repair order says resolder regulators/headers/I.C's, dc/dc converter,surface mount componenets/clean and align tape deck (didn't know it needed it, and I'm not sure if I've ever played a tape in it).

This was at a repair shop that also does a lot of custom installations. The dealer recommended them (it's where they would have sent the unit if they pulled it).

Repair cost was $150. They have flat rates depending on the type of unit. Probably a rip off for the time it took, but I doubt there are too many places around that could do the work right on a unit this complicated.

He did quote about $800 to replace the radio, so $150 to make it like new isn't too bad. Only took them 2 days, and boy is it weird to drive without toons.

Thanks for the update, Revka. My hoses are probably due - I squeeze them when I check my oil and they seem ok, but who knows.

$150 doesn't sound too outrageous, Stickguy. Here's hoping it stays fixed!

Steve
    Host
  • charles15charles15 Member Posts: 57
    Just purchased a new cabin air filter - the old one had 53K on it and no way you could clean it. I paid $77 for this thing probably because it comes with the housing cover and mounting assembly. Does anyone know if you can just buy the damn paper filter?
    replaced my in-cabin filter. Total cost with filter and labor was $103.20 like you charles15, there must be a less expensive way to go here. I would hate to buy the housing each time. At 35000 mi. I just had it vacumed and replaced.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    My 2001 Quest SE has developed a strange steering "problem". Moving the wheel slightly left or right of center at low speed produces a minor notchy, artificial feed back. The sensation is not apparent when the wheel is turned at speed or when the wheel is turned further than just slightly off-center.

The steering fluid is at normal levels. Does anybody know what might be causing this?
  • rrogerrroger Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a 1997 Quest. Since Nissan is fazing out the Quest, is there any concern in purchasing a 1997 Quest.( Parts availability, etc.). I can't think of any issues but would appreciate other's comments. thanks
    Have you thought about getting a brand new one? I'll bet the final days will have deeeeep discounts on them-- maybe right now. It just might be worth the extra money over a '97.
  • rrogerrroger Member Posts: 3
    Good idea, I will keep looking out for deals on a new Quest. Thanks again Fleetwoodsimca
  • katiesmommykatiesmommy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Quest with 26K miles. Sometimes when I turn on the A/C (or start the car with the A/C turned on) I will hear a loud grinding noise for a second. This typically happens only if the van has been sitting for over 24 hours between drives. (It seems to cool ok.) I've had it to the dealer numerous times. Although they can't replicate the noise, they've replaced the compressor once, but it is still there. They say that don't know what else to do if they can't hear it. Any experience or suggestions? Thanks!
    Our 99 Quest used to do the same thing, and I remember other owners mentioning the same thing here in the past.

If it is any consolation, either ours doesn't make the noise any more, or we don't notice it any nore. At about 67,000 miles the A/C still works like new.

Dave
  • jeromeg11jeromeg11 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 1997 Ls version with just over 61k miles. Check engine light came on and i brought it to autozone, and they diagnosed it through the OBDII to the o2 sensor, code 130. Van ran fine afterwards, but after a couple full tanks of gas , the light went on again...Code was a 300 now, stating it was misfiring. Could it be the second o2 sensor that is after the catylic converter that is causing the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...the wife is getting mad at me...Can you blame me, dealers would have charge me over $200 for the first o2 sensor replacement, where I did it for just around $70...I like to work on my own vehicles...
  • sharimsharim Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought a 1997 Mercury Villager and noticed the brakes to be quite soft, compared to our 2nd vehicle. Is this common in anyone else's Villager? It's in great shape otherwise.
  • cooper99cooper99 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Quest with 50K miles on it and the radio display has gone out. I noticed several owners have had the same problem and have either taken their radios out to check for cold solder connections, or had the dealer remove the radio and check for cold solder connections. How do I take the factory installed radio out to check for cold solder connections? My display will come on for a while and then go back out. Most of the time it is out.
    the plastic cover around the radio just pops off. take your fingers and get in the groove at the edge of the panel and pull gently. It should pop off. It covers that whole area radio and all. I poped mine off to install a power antenea.
  • mokydemokyde Member Posts: 7
    I bought one from Murray's Discount Auto Parts. Any auto parts store thet carries Motorcraft parts should be able to order it. The part # is FP-29. I paid $39.95 plus tax. Installation was pretty easy, about 20 minutes in all.
    After buying the filter I found another one on EBay for 20 bucks. That one will be for the 60K change.
    Oh yeah. I too replaced those terrible Goodyear tires that came on the van. The new ones are Continental Touring Contact AS. I see that the newer Quests come with them. Tremendous difference in ride quality although a bit noisier. Highly recommended.
  • faruqimfaruqim Member Posts: 7
    mokyde, How much you paid for the tires and where are they available?
    I purchased the Continental Contact Touring AS tires at Mueller Tire (now Tire Kingdom) in Cleveland, Ohio. Cost $98.00 per tire plus tax inc. stems, mounting , balance and 4 wheel alignment. Pretty good deal. Also these tires were excellent on snow and ice this past winter.
  • muslehmusleh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Quest SE with 27k miles on it. Recently had some engine trouble. Dealer determined that Fuel Injectors #1 and #6 had failed due to corrosion from water in the gasoline. He states that this is an uncommon problem. The repairs were covered under my warranty but would have cost about $800 to fix. My brother had leased a 99 GXE which experienced the same Fuel Injector failure which had to be replaced. My suspicion is that this may not be such an uncommon occurrence and was wondering if any other 99+ Quest drivers had the same trouble.

Thanx! Conrad
    First I've heard of that problem around here. I'm curious as to what your symptons were? And maybe your family should switch gas brands?

Steve
    Host
  • dkruger1dkruger1 Member Posts: 2
    Gang,

In May 2001 I bought my wife a 2001 Quest GLE loaded (TV/VCR etc) at Desert Nissan in Las Vegas, Nevada because it appeared to be the best value on the market. I must have had the word sucker written all over me, because this has been, without a doubt, the worst automobile I've ever owned.

To start with, I've experienced the following problems in the 1 year I've owned the car: radio display disappears (how many times have I seen that posted in this bulletin board?), pungent fuel vapor smell, inaccurate fuel gage (read 1/2 tank but only takes 3.8 gallons to top it off...what's up with that?), and the most recent and frustrating problem is that the car, in hot weather, will get freaky and cut off the a/c, radio, TV...then refuses to start if you turn it off, necessitating a jump start.

To say the service (or lack there of) department at Desert Nissan is a joke is an understatement. I've turned the vehicle in for the fuel gage problem 3 times and it still is inaccurate, the fuel vapor smell doesn't exist according to them, and my electrical problem was resultant of a corrosive battery terminal. They returned the vehicle to me yesterday having "cleaned" the battery terminal (which admittedly was corroded, but so little that I didn't even deem it worth cleaning), but in the process they made a mess of my engine compartment by getting baking soda residue everywhere. It was 115 degrees yesterday when my wife took the car and my 1 year old to the grocery store, only to come out to have the van not start on her again. Thanks to Ed Rocawich and his crack service team at Desert Nissan, my wife had to be jump started in a 1 year old car. To say I'm upset is an understatement.

Desert Nissan, please hear me when I say that you do not perform anything close to customer service. Your answer to the problem was that it was my fault, you simply tested the voltage on the battery without running any other diagnostics on the car, and sent an unreliable vehicle into a potentially unsafe situation in the Nevada heat. Get someone to work there who is willing to actually do some diagnostics on the damn car, you morons.

Since I've bought this car last year and encountered all of these problems, I've become a believer in the saying "You get what you pay for." The service manager, "Andy" (they're all named Andy, aren't they) told me the Quest is the most troublesome vehicle in Nissan's stable and squarely blamed Ford for the lack of quality. I think the buck stops where the nameplate is, pal. If Nissan's name is on the hood, then Nissan should take full responsibility for putting out a poor quality product. I will not rest until that dealership goes out of business.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Dkruger - looks like you got a bad one. That is too bad, because most of us on this board are pretty pleased with our Quests/Villagers. They certainly aren't perfect (what vehicle is?), but it appears that you received a particularly bad unit. And, it doesn't help when your dealer is incompetent.

I don't think that you have crossed over into "Lemon Law" territory yet, but that may be something you should look into in case you have another problem - especially one that leaves you stranded.
  • dkruger1dkruger1 Member Posts: 2
    My biggest concern here is that I'm moving my family (military move) from Las Vegas to Maryland in 2 weeks and will have to drive the vehicle cross-country. Not looking forward to breaking down in some god forsaken town in New Mexico or Texas (no offense).
  • dgreene1dgreene1 Member Posts: 9
    I've had a 97 GXE since new and I had my original CD changer replaced after 12 months. The replacement has now failed, and I'm not really excited about spending the $300+ to replace.

First symptoms this time included not playing any discs, and not ejecting the cartidge. I had to manually pry the cartridge out (after inserting a paper clip in the eject hole), and now after re-inserting, it's almost as if the changer is not getting any power.

The radio display should say "NO CD", but mine is saying "NO OJ"... seriously! What does this mean? Tried removing power (fuses) but still same problem.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I really think there was a serious quality control issue with this changer.

Regards,

DG
    New Mexico and Texas are not God-forsaken. He will be there if you break down. There just may not be any people around with jumper cables. :-)

Seriously, if I were you I'd make every effort possible to get the dealer to fix your problem. It may be as simple as a bad battery; the batteries that come with these vans are not the best. I had to replace mine about 30 miles after teh warranty was up. Keep the dealer on it, be firm & polite & don't escalate the situation until it becomes necessary.

Good luck to you. I hope they are able to fix your problem soon. Let us know how it goes.

Dave
    I think it may be illegal for you to attempt to drive your Quest through New Mexico, and maybe even Texas. You won't have seen bad news 'til you get back east. >:^Þ
  • hywaymanhywayman Member Posts: 4
    My '99 Villager has done the same thing (cut off the air, radio, tach, etc.) a few times if I have been idling for a while with the air on high (both front and back blowers) along with the stereo. My headlight switch is bad so those are always on as well. This is also during hot weather so the radiator fan is on as well.

If I use the gas pedal to raise the engine RPM to about 2000 everything comes back on. If I drive around for a while doing my best to keep the engine above 2000 RPM (running in 2nd or 3rd gear as needed) the van re-starts fine, otherwise I have to jump start it.

This set of circumstances leads me to believe that the alternator doesn't produce enough power at low engine speeds to deal with all of the electrics being on. I'm thinking of trying a bigger alternator pulley to rase the speed of the alternator at all engine speeds to see if this helps.
This discussion has been closed.