Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• Options
    budda1budda1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Mercury Villager GS with 2nd row bench. Can anyone tell me if seats from a 1994 Quest fits on this vehicle, my seats are kinda dirty and I found a junkyard that have some decent ones.

Thanks.
  • Options
    fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    It would be the other way around-- Use a smaller pulley on the alternator to get it to spin faster to put out higher flow of electrons.
  • Options
    jmulholljmulholl Member Posts: 29
    I have a '95 villager with 110,000 miles, so a timing belt replacement is due. But I got a new engine under the valve noise recall at 55,000 mi.
    My question: would they have replaced the timing belt when they changed the engine? Thanks.
    Joe
  • Options
    catcher2catcher2 Member Posts: 1
    Dkruger,

I have a 99 Quest and had the same problem with my battery. It would die every time we went camping. The dealer insisted we were not using the car properly, and repeatedly cleaned the contacts, checked the levels etc. However, after talking them into giving us a new battery it was discovered that the old one was installed improperly. Can't tell you the exact details but it was a simple matter to fix.

Take it to someone who knows how to install a battery (not the same dealer).

I hope this solves your problem.
  • Options
    rvvrvv Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Quest SE with 66K km on it and the Premium Radio display has gone blank. Since Nissan Canada stopped selling Quests a couple of years ago, they claim there are no spare parts. Is the Villager radio/cd/tape unit the same? I saw mentioned a problem with cold solder joints - any suggestions where to look?
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Yes, from what I know, the Radio is the same in the Villager, and is also used in some other Ford vehicles. Did you ask your dealer if he could send the unit out to an aftermarket audio shop for repairs? My dealer usually goes that route, when the audio is the no longer under warranty, to help save on costs. Others here may have more to add. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    It's the same unit. I had my display fixed (re-soldered the connections, not sure which ones), at a local high-end audio place that does repairs. It is actually the place that the Nissan dealer would send the unit to.

No problems in the month or 2 that I have had the readio back, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a new one, or probably a used one if you could find one at a wrecking yard.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    petakapetaka Member Posts: 12
    Has anybody purchase any service manuals for a Nissan Quest 1999?
    I'm interested in getting one but dealers keep telling me I would have to go through Nissan. Around 300 bucks for a CD through Nissan?? Ouch! I have been unable to find a cheap one from Haynes, so I'm stuck with a bad solenoid on the passenger side door lock and a sticky window motor on the driver side.

Thanks for any inputs.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have one for my '99 Quest. Cost me $119. There should be a few used ones floating around but may be hard tracking one down. Maybe try Powells or other used books stores or eBay? You could also try Dyment Distribution at 800-247-5321 for a new one (see page 10-21 in the owner's manual if you have one).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    I got a Nissan factory manual for my 99 Quest on Ebay. They do turn up now and then. I got mine for about $60 US. I did miss out on one (actually a set of the service and body manual) that ended up going for under $40. I tried waiting until the last minutes of the auction, and I had a problem signing in. By the time I got my bid in, the auction was over.

I have heard that Haynes has updated their Villager/Quest manual for the 99+ model years. You might want to check their web page. Their manuals are actually much more useful to the amateur mechanic than the factory manuals (IMO). Good luck.

Dave
  • Options
    superrtsuperrt Member Posts: 1
    I was driving down the road and my radio display lights started flickering on and off, cutting in and out, then about 5 minutes later the rest of the electrical display lights on the dash started going on and off with multiple electrical failures. I parked in my driveway shortly thereafter. This morning I went out and the van was dead. Could this be the battery or alternator, which one? I dont want to spend a bundle just trying to figure out the problem. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
  • Options
    cchalversoncchalverson Member Posts: 17
    My wife's 97 Quest with 64,000 miles just triggered the "check engine light." AutoZone's code reader diagnosed the problem as a code P0400, EGR flow issue. This morning I talked to the Nissan customer service folks to inquire about the duration of the emission warranty only to be told that the EGR would have only been covered for the first 36 months, 36,000 miles. The C/S tech suggested that I attempt to clean the EGR valve before I decided to replace it. Any experience or insight on cleaning the 97 Quest EGR valve; thanks!
  • Options
    villvanvillvan Member Posts: 2
    98 Villager, 80k miles, Save on labor while doing some preventative maintenance. Timing Belt, Water Pump, and thermostat. I plan to buy these parts at Mercury, and have my mechanic install. Also I am strongly considering replacing all the visible belts such as; A/C, Powersteering and any other visible belts. Also considering replacing the Radiator Hoses intake and outtake.???? What is the best way to approach the mechanic or are there any suggestions as far as for saving on labor such as the Timing belt, Water Pump and Thermostat everyone says to do this at the same time to save on labor. I have no problems with my vehicle. ANY SUGGESTIONS ????
  • Options
    mokydemokyde Member Posts: 7
    99 SE with 36K. Today when I turned on the front climate control fan nothing happened until I got to the 4th (high speed). At that setting and only that setting the fan workd as it should. On the 1, 2 and 3 blower speed settings nothing happens. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Fixed the problem. Blower resister was bad. $16 part and 10 minutes ...good as new.
  • Options
    Great! Was this a "solder the circuit board" fix or was it easier than that to replace it?

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    That was a trip to the Nissan dealer for the new board. The cicuitry on the board is sandwiched and can't be soldered as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    jpkiwijpkiwi Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,
    We just bought a 99 Nissan Quest SE with 55,000 miles. Besides being a little high in mileage, its in excellent condition, even has a TV/VCR..
    It has the 16in wheels and a 'suspension tuned for improved handling response' (according to a web site I found).

The tires look good, no sign of excessive wear, ride is smooth except when going over bumps (especially bridges, where there are continuous, regular dips). It tends to bounce a lot. Doesn't seem to affect the steering though.

I can stand on the back bumper and rock the whole van from side to side, although it does stop afer I stop pretty quickly.

Is this normal, or should I have the dealer look at it (I have a 60 day warranty from the dealer, they are already fixing the tach.)

J-P
  • Options
    shohjwhshohjwh Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys.
    I have a nissan quest GXE 99 with 50k. Recently, when I pushed accel, some strange noise ? especially air conditional was on. Something like vibrating????please give an advice.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Sounds like shocks may need replacing, Jpkiwi. Did you get to the dealer yet for advice?

Shohjwh, can you give us more details? What speed were you going? Have you checked your tires for proper pressure?

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    jessbobjessbob Member Posts: 1
    My 94 villager , when the car warms up the shifter lever gets real hard to move from P to any other gear(reminds me of power steering with no fluid in it). It used to happen on hot days w/ a/c on and the car idling in park or drive for a while. Now it happens when a/c is off . Im wondering if it is a sign the tranny is going ,or the radiator isnt cooling the tranny enough(fluid doesnt look or smell burnt).Does any one else have this problem? I just bourght a new 2002 quest and am wondering if I should get rid of the villager.
  • Options
    activex111activex111 Member Posts: 41
    Hi Guys... I recently bought a 96 Villager which is in great shape but i am not happy with the mileage. i have the digital dashboard which shows me average economy and instant economy.. the instatnt economy shows that when i press the accelerator just 15-20%, the economy is always 12-16mpg and thats the most common use during regular driving.. it goes to 20-24mpg only when u press the accelerator only about 5%(just a litle tap on it).. the average i am getting is just 18-19mpg.. even when i put the van in cruise at 80mph on freeway, the inst economy is like 16-17mpg... is something wrong with my van that it gives such poor economy or this is the experience of you all too? i am concerned if something is wrong with my van so any comments would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks...
  • Options
    Try checking your mileage the old fashioned way just to make sure your dash readout is correct.

I don't know where our problem solvers are these days - seems like the recent posters just have problems. Help!

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    igmatasigmatas Member Posts: 2
    Our light, too, in the radio has died three times. Dealer just fixed it the third time. Hopefully three times is a charm.

Now, our front tires need to be replaced, and we have a low speed shimmy. Dealer just fixed the high speed shimmy by balancing and rotating the tires. Question - should I get Michelins, or is there another tire that might help. As the shimmy seems to be a common problem, has anyone gotten Mercury/Nissan to fess up and fix this problem?

Thanks.
  • Options
    cookie22cookie22 Member Posts: 73
    i just put a new set of Michelins on my 99 Estate. and the dealer also replaced my radio because the light kept going out. I have read where several have had the same problem with their radio. By the way the new tires are great.
  • Options
    riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    going to get gas decent gas mileage setting the cruise at 80!Actually 16 to 17 is probably good at that speed. I also have the digital gauges and it is fairly accurate. Like the host said - check the old fashion way. These vehicles EPA 17/23. I probably average 21.5 in mixed driving. Could be your driving habits?
  • Options
    around 20 - 21 mi. to the gal.on my 99 Estate, also with mixed driving. I'm not a very fast driver . Even on the interstate I don't get up to 70 mph.
  • Options
    kentzzskentzzs Member Posts: 13
    My 95 villager "check engin" light is always on now instead of "sometimes" on. Error code of 32 was found by scanning. 32 is EGRcontrol solenoid and circuit fault. Checked voltage supply and solenoid. Voltageis there and solenoid sounds working.
    Any suggestion for next step checking please? Where could be the problem?
    Thanks.
    -Kent
  • Options
    kymikekymike Member Posts: 115
    I put Yokohama Avid Touring tires on my '99 Estate last November. I have been really happy with the performance. Also, after about 15,000 miles they are showing little wear. They are quiet and handle well in the rain.

They were recommended through comments that I saw on the tirerack.com website.
  • Options
    kymikekymike Member Posts: 115
    We get about 16mpg in town and 21-22 on the road travelling at 70-75 from our '99 Estate. We also have the electronic guages (not my preference) and they are relatively accurate over time. I do not trust the current mpg as this will always read low when accelerating and high when decelerating. Most of the fuel consumed is during acceleration. That's why highway mileage is higher than in the city - less stop and go. The Villager is a heavy vehicle and I tend to accelerate too fast to get great mileage in town.
  • Options
    Mokyde, are you still out there? My wife just called me, our 99 Quest blower fan now works on setting 4 only! I want to fix this before Friday. Here I am stuck at work without my repair manual...

Was the resistor pack replacement a do-it-yourself repair, or did you take it in? Is it hard to get to?

Let me know. Thanks!

Dave
  • Options
    It's on the underside of the blower assembly, to the left of the blower motor. It has wires plugged into the bottom and is held in place by two 8mm hex head screws.

Mine looks like someone took a lighter to it. Definetly blown. Just got a relpacement (from a Mercury dealer, Nissan dealers didn't have it in stock) at lunch and will replace it tonight. $14.88 US + tax.

Dave
  • Options
    I've bookmarked your post Dave, just in case :-)

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    bafanabafana Member Posts: 8
    Hi there everybody,

I have read alot the past couple of months on this board but this is my first post to it.
    We bought a used '99 Villager 3 months ago with
    +/- 32K miles on it. Due to my wife job we put another 8K on it during this time. Luckily this slowed down back to 'normal' mileage .

We had basically no problems with the Van and are
    enjoying it very much.

1. Tires: The left front tire (General) had high speed shimming. I replaced the front tires with Yokohama Avid Touring like an previous poster mentioned. I read some good reviews about it on
    tirerack.com. If they hold up good I will replace the rear ones with them as well. After about 200mi I think they have a quieter ride than the Generals. I have not yet tested the wet traction to comment on that.

2. We also had the sticky gas pedal problem, but I took care of it for now with instructions on this board. (Thanks!) I did not take apart the entire air intake assembly to do a very good job but it worked for now. When it acts up again and I have more time I will do a proper job.

Now for my questions:

1. I would like to install an add-on alarm to the existing factory keyless entry system, either Ford/Mercury or an aftermarket product. With limited resources on the net I have found the following: Ford part #: F3AZ-19A361-C, F3AZ-19A361-D, Mercury part #: F7AZ-19A361-AA. The only aftermarket add-on system that I could found was a Hornet 700T which uses the existing remotes.

My Questions: Can anybody shed some light for me on the difference in the part numbers for Ford/Mercury. The Mercury Dealer told me that the first two will not work on the Villager. To me it seems that the only difference between them all is the features and price. I just want a basic alarm system. The Hornet 700 T will require professional installation. I was hoping to buy a Ford add-on and just plug it into the existing system.

2. The driver side outside mirror are vibrating a little bit at Highway speeds. Can it be that there's only a loose screw of some sort that just needs tightening. I have no idea how to accomplish this.
    Any input from the gurus?

Thanks,
    Charel
  • Options
    The alarm - The electrical system on this van is very complicated. It you REALLY want an additional alarm (high crime neighborhood? I'm assuming the Villager system is the same as the Quest, that does have an alarm). I'd visit someplace that does them all the time, and let them handle it. I'd be afraid of screwing something up with the existing system. That's just me.

The mirror... If you can find a fix, let me know! I haven't got up enough determination to take mine apart, they do vibrate quite a bit on the highway. Others however have no problems with theirs. One time I had my van in for service while it was still under wrranty, I checked all the new vans they had on the lot and they were loose too.

Dave
  • Options
    I've had my driver's side mirror apart several times, more or less. I keep breaking the mounting bracket and having to epoxy it back :-). I've only noticed the 3 bolts holding the mirror to the door and not sure what else you could tighten or dampen it.

Mine doesn't vibrate, so maybe you should drop a canoe on yours too!

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    I would be very careful of any thing you add to your Villager. They told me at the dealership where I purchased my Van that it is a "Radio Shack " on wheels. Lots of complicated Stuff.
  • Options
    bafanabafana Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for all the advise.
    I can live without an alarm system on our
    Villager and the vibration on the mirror is not that bad.

Thanks,
    Charel
  • Options
    stiverslmstiverslm Member Posts: 2
    Just bought 2002 mercury villager 1 month ago. I have had it in the service department 4 times already. The 2 side doors and windows leak in the car wash and hard rain. Anyone else experiencing these problems??
  • Options
    Kent,
    You might want to check all of the vacuum connections. The wife's 97 Quest triggered the "check engine" light when one of the lines from the EGR valve lost a rubber connection. I was pulling my hair out because the EGR tested good, but wasn't working properly and the loose connection was behind and below the line of sight. Finally after I put my hand back there and found it, I was able to reconnect with a short portion of vacuum hose and it works great now.
    A more recent issue for us has been the front end rattle we got after taking a particularly brutal highway trip. The NTB guys diagnosed it as a collapsed strut mount so I've just finished replacing the mount and bearing.
    Good luck with the "check engine" light issue.
    Craig
  • Options
    corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Stiver - you said the two side doors and windows leak. What do you mean by side doors? Do you mean the sliding doors or the two front doors?

You may want to check the tension on the window latches for the sliding doors. I know that my sliding door glass worked itself loose after only a few months of ownership (2001 Quest SE).
  • Options
    stiverslmstiverslm Member Posts: 2
    The sliding doors are leaking on the side with the handle and the windows on those doors leak. The window on the back hatch also leaks. It happens any time there is a hard rain or we use a high pressure car wash. We are taking it in for the 5th time next week. Service department thinks we're crazy!
  • Options
    First of all, thank you, Craig, for your suggestion. However, it does not look like as easy as that. I checked all the vacuum lines. No defect was found. Anyway, I changed all of them. Ported vacuum is ok. Get 4 inHg at 1500rpm. EGR valve is ok since engine slowed dowm when vacuum applied on it. Voltage is there (11.5V) for EGR solenoid. Solenoid "sounds" working when 12v directly applied on it.
    Now I need help on the questions bellow.
    1. What is the correct vacuum (in InHg) at each stage?
    2. How to check EGR solenoid based on the air pass?
    3. Since EGR valve is ok, how about EGR control backpressure transducer valve (EGRC-BPT)?

By the way, code 34 was also detected. It is knock sensor fault. Are they related?

Thank you all in advance.

-Kent
  • Options
    activex111activex111 Member Posts: 41
    Hi guys..
    RSWAMI and others, first of all thanks for advice about mileage.. i dont get more than 18mpg.. and about speed, i live in LA, gotta speed up just to keep up with the traffic..
    =========
    Now about the Villager part:I tried to replace the headlamp on my recently bought 96 villager and the headlamp retainer ring broke the locking part at a very little pressure.. tried every shop around, kragen, pepboys,autozone No luck.. went to the nearby ford dealer and faced the worst auto service so far, they didn't have it and wer too fussy about ordering such a small part (can u beleive it?).. Any idea where can i get it?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Oops Kent, I just returned the Quest service manual I'd borrowed from the central library after I got my wife's Quest problems sorted out. I'll request it again, but it will take them a couple of days to get it sent out since it is a limited circulation reference book. If you live in a metropolitan area you might inquire if your library has same because it is wonderfully comprehensive. I'll have to get back to you later; sorry.
    Craig
  • Options
    Craig:
    Thanks again. The problem has been solved after I pinpoited the proble should be around EGRC-BPT. A broken tube was found in a hidden corner below EGRC-BPT valve.
    Now, it is time to work on knock sensor.
    -Kent
  • Options
    whitelwhitel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Nissan Quest GXE with 102,000 KM. Just did a complete brake job (front and back). After all this work they brakes still feel quite soft. All the lines have been bled and fluid topped up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thanks.
  • Options
    Kent,
    That's great! I'm sorry I didn't do a better job of explaining because on the wife's 97 Quest the rubber connector was fried on the line/tube that connected the EGRC-BPT to the EGR valve. The line/tube on the 97 is about impossible to see, but exits the bottom of the EGRC-BPT and runs to the lower part of the EGR. It wasn't until it couldn't be anything else and I was about to take off the EGRC-BPT that I discovered the missing link.
  • Options
    whitel,
    Any chance your master cylinder is bad? If you did the wheels and bled the brake lines it should be solid. We have about the same mileage at 64,000, did the brakes earlier this year with some premium pads and turned rotors and ours works great. I've been told that some of the pads can be softer than others, but I don't have any experience there because we always get the harder pads and haven't been disappoined.
  • Options
    bankman64bankman64 Member Posts: 1
    Help!!!
    I have a 1996 Mercury Villager. Since 35k miles I have been experiencing engine overheating just enough to cut off the A/C compressor. This overheating only occurs in high tempatures of 96 degrees or better. I have had the following repairs in an attempt to fix.
    1. changed thermostat
    2. flushed radiator numerous times
    3. replaced water pump
    4. replaced egr valve
    5. replaced high pressure switch on a/c
    6. replaced evaporator on a/c
    7. reprogrammed computer
    8. repaired leak in a/c hose (not sure if really leaking or just dealer getting desperate)

Has anyone had this problem and or can anyone make suggestions on possible fix.

It seems that when the engine gets hot the throttle seems hesitant and the transmission slams into second pretty hard. This only occurs just before the compressor cuts off and the electronic tempature guage goes up one or two notches (digital dash)

Any assistance will be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.