Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• kymikekymike Member Posts: 115
    Hard to believe that a brake light out would cause this problem, but I'll check them tonight.

I don't think that it is the switch because the indicator light on the dash goes out when I step on the brakes. You never know, though.

I just got a factory service manual. I'll follow the recommended troubleshooting steps when the weather warms up a bit.
  • yespadsyespads Member Posts: 8
    The vibration is from the steering wheel.

It has low milage. I purchased it at 26k miles and not is has 31k miles on it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When you say you changed the tires, do you mean you got new ones or rotated the ones on the van?

If you rotated the tires, I'd suggest thinking about some new ones, since the original tires on most cars aren't that good (my original Quest tires lasted about 34,000 miles).

If you have new tires, then maybe you can find another mechanic to test drive it. Vibrations can be the result of lots of different things, and they are hard to diagnose over the net (esp. by me - I can barely turn a wrench).

Try a "Discussion Search" in here for "vibration" too.

Steve, Host
    Yes. I brought the new tires at front and rear. I did search based on the vibration and requested dealer to look for steering pinions. Hope this could fix the problem.

I will check on milage after 30k service
    And I guess you saw Revka's suggestion to another poster a month or two ago about checking the brake pads also. Anyone else got any suggestions for a steering wheel vibration for Yespads?

Steve, Host
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    It's possible, but not likeley, that the new tires are bad too. It's happened. They could either be out of balance or out of round or have too much runout (side-to-side variation). Try having the shop that installed them re-balance them, let them know you are having vibration problems in the steering wheel, and maybe ask them when their balancing machine was last calibrated. It could be you just got a bad balance job on the new tires.

If that doesn't fix the problem, have the shop check for runout or out-of-round problems. They may want to do this as they reblance them the first time.

If none of this fixes the problem, it could be a bent wheel, or worn out tie rod ends or ball joints (in descending order of probabliity.) If the shop does repairs other than just tires, they can check this out too.

Hope this helps.

Dave
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Here's my previous post (#1232) on the subject. Hope this is helpful.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    I went out and bought a Fram instead :)
  • usma82usma82 Member Posts: 8
    I’ve owned three Villagers (’96, ’98 and ’00) and I have never experienced this problem before. I only have 25,000 mile on the Van and I just installed the third set of front brake pads. This time I also replaced the rotors because I was unable to solve a persistent groan/vibration problem when braking moderately. The groaning problem started shortly after the first brake job. I’m pretty good at doing a proper job as I always turned the rotors when I replaced the pads.

Has anybody else had this problem with excessive brake wear/noise?

I found three service bulletins on the NHTSA web site (www.NHTSA.gov) concerning excessive brake wear and noise for late model Quests and Villagers but I’ve been unable to get the details from any source (including Mercury / Nissan Dealers and the NHTSA). The Villager SB # are: 13744, 99194 and 7907 (the Quest numbers are different). Does any one know the details behind these SB’s?
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    I have a 99 Quest. The light comes on whenever I turn right or step on the brake. It turns itself off shortly after. The brakes are not seizing. Fluid level is still good. I'm guessing a malfunctioning sensor of some sort. Anyone with this problem ? Is there a fix ? Thanx.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    It may be the fluid lever. IIRC, the sensor is overly sensitive. Anyway, if the brakes have never been done, probably a good idea to have them checked,

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ajones1ajones1 Member Posts: 2
    On our '99 Quest, we had the same issue of the brake light coming on during braking. It turned out that the fluid was slightly low. So we just topped off the brake fluid and the problem stopped.

Our brake pads needed replacing after only 40k miles, so you may also want to have them checked. Sometimes the low fluid issue can be linked to worn brakes.
    Unless there is a leak, brake fluid in the reservoir will go down as the pads wear since the pistons in the calipers rest a little bit more towards the brake disc. If you top up the fluid, you will end up having to drain part of it back out when the brake pads are replaced.

I would check the pads prior to topping up the fluid.
  • bigbob8bigbob8 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Villager with 43000 miles on it. Car has been great, but recently have been troubled by a very occasional problem of accelerator pedal being stuck when attempting to start moving from a stop. It take great pressure to move it, then it is fine for many, many days. Once, many months ago, it failed to release to idle when attempting to stop, but never had a further problem with the pedal until the recent sticking problem. A somewat cursory examination by a mechanic revealed no obvious cause. Has anyone had a similar problem or thoughts on the cause.
    Sounds like you have the well-known "sticky throttle." It's relatively easy to fix yourself or any mechanic can clean the carbon out of there. That your mechanic missed it tells me that s/he wasn't too interested in helping you out.

Here's a good post about it:

dhoff Jan 24, 2001 4:54pm

Try a discussion search for "throttle body" if you want more. I've done my '99 twice now at 80,000 miles and I think the dealer did it once for me early on.

Steve, Host
  • bmartin5bmartin5 Member Posts: 5
    '93 villager with 140K miles. The rear fan stop working completely last month. Any suggestion..... Thanks.
    Check out this post:

dhoff Jan 9, 2001 5:41pm

Steve, Host
  • bmartin5bmartin5 Member Posts: 5
    would try it this weekend. Thanks.
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    My mom has an 01 quest and they run it up and down the east coast to visit family. They hate the seats in the front...does any one know if there are more comfortable seats that could be taken from a junked van (villager) and fit safely into the Quest?
  • usma82usma82 Member Posts: 8
    Sorry, the seats in the Villager are the same. Only thing that you could change is if you found some that had leather or power feature. However, I don't think it would make them any more comfortable.
  • okmomokmom Member Posts: 37
    My 2000 Quest head light has very lose connection.
    I put the black tape to keep it in the place.
    sometimes works, sometimes have to re tape.
    Okay, I went the Nissan dealer this morning.
    The engine 100m harness (#24012-7B115) $545.50 +tax !!

I didn't bother to ask about the labor.

Does anyone bought the used parts on the web?
    Which one is reliable?

Thanks.
    Are you past your warranty period? If not, this should be a warranty repair (unless you have had damage due to an accident).

My '99 villager had problems with one headlight connector. The dealer replaced both connectors (spliced into the wiring harness) under warranty.

If the problem is at the headlight connection, you should be able to get the connector replaced for much, much less than you are being quoted for a wiring harness.
  • okmomokmom Member Posts: 37
    My 2000 Quest has over 50K miles.
    so, no warranty.

The Nissan dealer said there is no "headlight connector" for my car.
    I have to buy the whole unit.
    I think you need a second opinion from a different mechanic. Kymike isn't the only one reporting connector problems here - try a Search This Discussion for "headlight" for some more.

Steve, Host
    If your dealer will only sell you the entire harness, I would look for another dealer willing to be creative or for an independent mechanic.

I had a similar problem on my Miata where the connector had corroded and a wire broke off when I went to change the bulb. My Mazda dealer sold me wire connectors that I could splice into my wiring because a connector was not sold separately. Make certain you have the appropriate size wire connectors.
    Hi

During the 30000 miles service, dealer found that the steering pinions need replacement and he did it. Still, I am getting the vibration but, negligible. I am working on milage problem now.

Steve and Revka : Thanks for the suggestions.
  • activex111activex111 Member Posts: 41
    Hi,
    The rear wiper on my '96 villager stopped working. The washer fliud works but the wiper does not. I checked the fuse and it is fine. I saw a few posts about rear wiper not working on this forum but did not see any solution. Can someone please post their experience if they solved such a problem, such as what and where to look etc... thanks...
  • reggimonreggimon Member Posts: 1
    To All: My Villager just passed 267,000 miles.
    Around 70,000 miles the engine was recalled and replaced free of charge by Ford. So far, no transmission or engine problems. I'm shooting for 1M miles...
    What year is it anyway? Are you doing anything special for your "routine" maintenance?

Congrats!

Steve, Host
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    is your Nautica? I have a 98 with almost 54k. Bought it with 38k last year. I really like the van, so any info I can is appreciated.
  • bobbya2bobbya2 Member Posts: 35
    I would be grateful if any suggestions for price and problems info.
    I saw vehicle and verbally OK deal. My friend test-drove as he fixes his own cars at home.
    Did not see underneath for leaks of any kind as
    Seller seemed decent and honest.
    But my Mechanic who lives 50 miles away and did not see van, Recommends Timing-belt change, & Minor tune-up immediately.
    Asking price was $8000 and verbally finalized at $6700 and Book Value is $8300.
    I was shopping for used 95-96 camry and already camry, but my wife asked me to look for Mini-Van instead.
    Thanks in advance
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what the factory suggested maintenance intervals are.

I'm not sure which book you looked at, but you can run a customized price appraisal here using the "Used" links and drilling down to the Quest pricing pages.

Steve, Host
    for the resident Quest heads. I believe this has been referenced before, so hopefully an easy one to answer.

My wife has a '99 Quest. Recently, the driver's window has been acting up. Sometimes it won't respond when you push/pull the button, but eventually works if you jiggle the button a bit.

Is this usually a switch issue, or the regulator? And, how big (and expensive) a deal is it to get fixed?

Another couple of foibles, and wifee will start making more noise about a new car (which she does whenever the old one has a problem). I better hurry up and get one for myself before it is too late.

A quick discussion search turns this up:

dhoff Mar 23, 2002 10:30am

Steve, Host
  • packer31packer31 Member Posts: 3
    first pending major cost after 115k miles--what are the consequences of NOT repairing broken manifold exhaust bolts? thanks in advance for response.
  • dnuggetdnugget Member Posts: 17
    Anybody there knows the correct wheel torque setting for the 2000 Villager Sport's alloy wheels? Thanks.
  • scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    Our 95 Villager LS is just over 91,000 miles.
    Mostly trouble free. All of a sudden today, it randomly will loose the electronic dash, the windows, turn signals, radio etc don't work, but the engine still runs. Transmission acts as it is starting in second or even third gear. I think it even drops out of fourth (overdrive) when this happens. A few minutes later, it all comes back. Twice it happened when we needed to shut it off. It started and all functions came back a few minutes later. First time it happened, the wife said it wouldn't crank. She called me, and then tried it a minutes later and it started. The mouse seat belts and lights at the bottom of the doors still work when all else is out.
    Any ideas?
  • haropharop Member Posts: 59
    My wife has a 97 quest and in 6 years the only problem we have, is the Radio ON/Off push button does not function. I found a little workaround:
    insert audio tape - this will activate tape
    eject audio tape - this will turn off the system, including radio.
    Anyway, does anybody knows how to fix this? I am just hopind some little trick may fix, otherwice this is not a big problem.
  • mgflmgfl Member Posts: 11
    The Cruise Control on my 1994 Quest just stopped working. The Cruise Control button lights up when pressed, but nothing happens when I press the steering wheel control to set the speed and the dash light does not turn on. Any ideas?
  • mn_patmn_pat Member Posts: 67
    I am thinking of purchase a popup camper to pull behind my Quest. How does the Quest handle towing? How much does it cost to have a hitch installed?

Thanks
    Bad solder joints on the radio? Bad contacts on the cruise control switch?

My drivers side power window switch is starting to get a bit erratic.

Anyone?

Steve, Host
    I just had to replace the drivers side window control. It was hit or miss whether it would work (usually required some jiggling). Part was about $79 at the parts counter, and I had them install for .5hr labor, so probably very easy to DIY. No problems since.

I've had my door apart a few times regluing my driver's side mirror, so I'm gonna try the hammer trick first when it finally dies.

Steve, Host
  • buyinavilligerbuyinavilliger Member Posts: 1
    I had a 1995 Quest, really liked it but it was totalled in an accident. I'm looking at replacing it with a 1996 Villager-Nautica. It has 97K miles, but jerks when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. My Quest never had this problem. Can anyone offer any insight or experience with a '96 villager?
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    papa-

Yes, on the 99 & up Quest the top vents are for AC only. There are small vents under the front seats that supply heat to the rear passengers.

I've heard of the radio display problem before and it can be reparied. There's a website (shareamemory.com I think) where they sell instructions to fix it.

Dave
  • mdvmdv Member Posts: 9
    My driver side window has been acting up for months now. Due to my procrastination, I just haven't taken in to be repaired yet. The window will go down, but not back up without some encouragement-tugging at it with another hand while engaging button! I feel it's either the switch-which would be very easy to repair DIY-all it involves is taking out switch and replacing...or it could be the motor itself.That's best left to the shop in my case. You said parts were $79. What parts were used? Just trying to get my budget in order. Thanks.
    the part was the switch panel itself in the door (the buttons). If it turns out to be the motor, expect to pay more, but apparently the switch is a common problem.

• johnwngjohnwng Member Posts: 24
    My '99 Quest has about 40K miles. Recently, its speedometer needle is acting up strangely. After driving a few miles, the speedometer needle will move repeatedly and constantly between zero to 40 miles no matter what speed you are driving on. The interesting part is that when you shut the engine off and turn it on again, it works fine for sometime and then the problem comes back. Has anyone on this board experienced similar speedometer problem? Before going to the dealer, I would like to be educated first with your advises/experience. Thanks.
  • mn_patmn_pat Member Posts: 67
    my 2k quest, 31k miles, just had an injector replaced. Is this a common problem? I hope this improves the gas mileage. I got 17 mpg from my last tank.

Luckily, my car was delivered to its first owner on 9-27-00 so its still under warranty.
    Doesn't seem to be too common a problem. A Discussion Search in here only gets a half dozen hits.

Any news on the speedo, Johnwng?

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.