Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• jpkiwijpkiwi Member Posts: 5
    Since everyone else seems to be away, thought I'd reply to my own message and help out activex111.

Buy yourself some R134 and a recharge kit (just a hose with special fittings). The Haines manual has a good description of what to do. You will need a paper clip to bypass the cutoff switch to keep the compressor running while you charge it. The can is empty when it doesn't feel ice cold anymore - you can check the level by finding out where the can is really cold. It took about 1/2 hour to put one can in.
    My A/C still isn't great when idling, but its now OK as long as we are moving. Probably something to do with the cooling fan not creating enough pressure keep the compressor on, not really sure...
  • coquiscoquis Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I'd like to get any answer related to message #1359.
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide should tell you when it's supposed to be changed.

I wouldn't tackle that job, but oil changes and front disc pads are about all I do tackle.

Steve, Host
  • jonv05jonv05 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

I am buying a 97 villager GS with 32500 miles on it from a lady who drove it just around town. It seems to be in great shape cept for the brakes. Is there anything else that I should check or replace on this vehicle that is 6 years old but only has 32k miles on it? i.e. shocks, etc. Any suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    Front break pads would last about 30K-50K miles depending on driving habit, rear pads would last over 100K. Most of villager/Quest vans are reliable, but I still rank its reliability below Toyota and Honda, doesn't mean that it's not good, ... it's just not as good as... IMO
  • kymikekymike Member Posts: 115
    When I buy a used vehicle, I like to change all of the fluids, filters and plugs. That way, I reset the service clock and know when the next scheduled services should be. You don't need to do this if you get great service records from the prior owner.

Shocks should wear as a function of miles, so they should still be good for a while.

Enjoy your new Villager.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I bought the 2000 Quest GXE (82,400 miles) last week. Thanks to all who provided provided feedback on this model.

I just found that the 2000 Quest was "recalled" for two problems.

How do i check if my Quest has been repaired/fixed? I am unable to reach the prevoius owner. Does Nissan keep a database? If yes, can i call Nissan directly? Thanks!
    I don't know if you can get the info from Nissan but their customer service department may have that info.

You should be able to get the local Nissan dealer to plug the VIN into the computer in the service department and get recall info (and maybe other service records) too.

I think Carfax also provides this info for most cars. It would have been better to get a Carfax before buying the van though :-)

Steve, Host
  • rbudn83510rbudn83510 Member Posts: 23
    i have a 1999 villager estate. i want to replace the window switch. can someone be so kind and give me the step by step on how to get to them? thank you so much. Also, any suggestions on where to buy the new switch and how much?
    Try a Search This Discussion in here for posts like this one:

steve_ Jul 22, 2003 11:58am

From memory:

There's one screw at the bottom of the switch housing covered with a plastic tab. Remove that and jiggle the switch housing out. There will be two wire harnesses connected to two switch gizmos. One is for the windows and the other for the power locks. The wiring disconnects at the junctions by pressing on the tabs, and they only fit one way, so you're pretty save unplugging them.

The switches themselves are screwed into the plastic housing. I'm not sure what you get from the parts store, so you may wind up with either a switch to screw in or a whole new housing with switches attached.

I hear that people are paying around $70 US for replacements from the dealer. You may want to try an auto salvage yard.

You also may want to check on return policies before purchase, since the problem may be the window motor.

Troubleshooting may also be affected by which window isn't working.

Corrections/amplifications appreciated! (you out there Rabaul?)

Steve, Host
  • rabaulrabaul Member Posts: 3
    Here I am, Steve. This is what I sent you earlier on the subject in a private e-mail:
    "Just replaced the switch (part number
    25401-7b12---dealer list about $69.) and found the
    process a "piece of cake", taking no more than a
    minute or two. Balky close problem solved. It's one
    piece that includes both window switches plus the door
    lock and window operation lock-out switches. One
    exterior Phillips screw (under a plastic cap) to
    remove the exposed driver's-side switch assembly (no
    need to remove door panel) and 4 screws on the
    underside to free the switch. Two detachable plugs
    and you're home free. All auto electronics should be
    this simple (but I imagine the book rate is probably
    an hour)."

I support your suggestion to try to find it used---but only at a cost of a few dollars, since this seems to be a common problem area that will likely eventually affect all Quests. I got the dealer parts dept. to agree to take it back (not normally done on electronic parts, as you know) if the replacement didn't solve the issue. Just bring a Phillips screwdriver and make the quick change/test right at the dealership. It's a real pleasure to drive without the concern that "This could finally be the time it doesn't ever close".
    Did I mention (lately <g>) that mine is working ok again?

Steve, Host
  • cduongcduong Member Posts: 70
    My '94 in-dash single disc CD player is not working anymore. This is the original CD player that comes with my Mercury Villager van. Can someone tell me how to replace it or the cost of replacing it? Thanks
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    At idle in drive with my foot on the brake the engine will drop rpm and then increase RPMs. You can feel this. The service engine soon light has not come on. I just had the plugs, gas filter and PCV done about three weeks ago. Vehicle is running fine. Any ideas?
  • khagerkhager Member Posts: 15
    Your 97 Quest timing belt should be good for 105K, look in your owners manual. Even if it does break it is a non interference engine so no pistons crashing into the valves or anything like that, you will just be out a tow bill. If you decide to do it yourself be sure and get the right belt the pre-96 models used a belt with square teeth which was good for 60K. In 96 they changed to a rounded tooth belt design good for 105K.
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    I had the computer searched for codes. Mechanic came up with nothing. Since I have 63k on the van he thought it was a good idea to change the wires. I was going to change them next summer. Thing is if it was wires why doesn't the stumble occur when I'm driving. Seems to be stumbling less lately. I don't like shot gunning parts. Seldom does that method solve your problem. I'm going to wait and see if it continues.
  • adambrunetx2eadambrunetx2e Member Posts: 7
    The check engine light is on in my van. I was told by a good friend of mine that it was most likely the O2 sensor seeing as how mechanically - nothing was wrong. How much would this be to get replaced? And can I do it myself?

Secondly - My ABS was acting up. It would kick in really badly on wet pavement and on steep hills - after you came to a complete stop, the warning light would come on. After about 3 weeks of these annoying and scary incidents, the ABS just stopped working and now the light is on permanently. The mechanic did check the brakes about a week before all this happened when I took it in for regular maintenance. Do you think he damaged the sensors? Does anyone know how much this would be to get replaced? My dash is brighter than the fourth of July! I would appreciate any responses!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    An automotive magazine is looking to interview drivers of the Nissan Quest. Please send your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com by Monday, November 17, 2003.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

That's '04 Quest drivers btw.

Steve, Host
  • jgresjgres Member Posts: 1
    My mechanic ran into an interesting problem today while attempting to replace the thermostat on my '93 Villager. According to him the thermostat housing was redesigned in 1995 and he can no longer obtain the proper thermostat for the '93 housing. He says that I'll need to buy a 2 or 3 hundred dollar upgraded thermostat housing to accommadate the new thermostat. I can't believe that there isn't a proper thermostat that can't be purchased for this vehicle somewhere, somehow.
    Any suggestions or part numbers would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • hycchycc Member Posts: 1
    I had this problems for 2 years. Just changing O2 sensor, it solved the problems.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    I recently replace the Goodyear Eagle LS (225/60/16) tires on my 2001 Quest SE (44,000 miles) with a set of Firestone Supreme Si all season tires. The origninal Goodyears were impossible to keep balanced and didn't provide the greatest snow traction. Plus, they didn't wear well, possibly a function of the balancing problem. The Firestones are a 60,000 tire and should last longer than the Goodyears.

The Firestones aren't much to look at as their sidewalls are plain, but the transformation of the vehicle has been positive. The SE has firmer shocks and thicker antiroll bars than the stock Quest. I figured the vehicle didn't need touring tires to maintain its sporty feel so I went with some traditional all season units. Immediately, the van feels softer, less harsh over expansion strips and larger bumps. Road noise has also been reduced.

Now, if I can just keep the things round I'll be a satisfied customer.
  • activex111activex111 Member Posts: 41
    Hi,
    I was driving my 96 villager to Sequoia park on thanksgiving when suddenly my steering wheel jammed which i thought was because of a flat tire but checked and found that tires were fine so i guessed that probably the steering motor is out.. within 15 min my engine stalled and i realised that temp is shooting to highest.. i was fortunate to find a mechanic few miles away who found out that my Tesioner pulley running my power steering motor and my water coolant pump was "missing".. hard to imagine that it just fell off like that.. since the people there could not find the replacement part they got a temporary smooth pulley and used it with some extra washers.. they also tried to take out the idler pulley which runs the a/c w/o knowing that the tensioner pulley is not the same ..arghhh! but finally i was able to get on the road again using that temporary pulley and minus my a/c running (luckily it was cold)... Has anyone had the pulley falling off exprience?

Now i need to change BOTH the pulleys and put the right ones in? is it simple job if i just get the pulleys myself from the dealer?
  • davidj1974davidj1974 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I'm the original owner of a '99 Quest SE with 78,000 miles. I've had good luck with this van but it's been developing problems lately and I'm wondering if other Quest owners are experiencing the same.
    1. Radio display is intermittent but usually out completely. No time or radio stations displayed. It has recently stayed on for two days but now it's off again.
    2. Power driver's window just started acted up by not wanting to go up. Have to keep pulling on the switch.
    3. Power locks have a spinning sound while locking or unlocking.

Has anyone experienced these problems and know what the cost might be for repair? I'm considering replacing this vehicle as I'm disappointed given it's only 4 yrs old. I think Ford is to blame since they had a hand in building this vehicle. I found that out after I took delivery. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    1 and 2 I can address, since I dealt with both on my wife's '99 SE (now at 44,000 miles).

the radio display problem is some lose connections that need to be re-soldered. A quality radio shop can handle it, and it will probably cost about $100-$200, depending on how expensive it is where you live. Much cheaper than a new head unit however, and it isn't easy to go aftermarket in this case.

The power window switch is also relatively common. The switch assembly probably needs to be replaced. It is an easy process (s/b DIY if you are handy), but you can have a dealer do it for about $120 IIRC ($80 for the part, 1/2 or so labor).

I have no issue with the power locks, but if they still function normally, maybe you can just live with the noise?

Your van might be only 4 years old (probably closer to 5 by now), but 78K is a lot of miles in that time, and these are relatively minor issues that can happen with any car

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

My '99 has 88,000 miles and similar issues - well, my radio display has been fine.

I lubed the edges of my windows with some silicon spray and that has helped keep the power windows working. One of my door actuators was replaced under warranty and they haven't chattered in a long time.

I like to blame Ford for the gremlins, but the switches (and probably the circuit boards that fail) come from various suppliers.

Steve, Host
  • davidj1974davidj1974 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the feedback John and Steve. I will probably replace the window switch myself but will need help from either the dealer or radio shop for the display.
  • frittobfrittob Member Posts: 52
    For $100-$200 to fix the radio ... Would just replacing the radio with a new CD player fix the problem?

Most of the major retailers do free installation for players over $100.
    Check out post 1117 here, and search this discussion for radio for even more.

Steve, Host
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    My 99 Quest just turned over 100,000 miles, and, knock on wood, the radio display still works. I have had to replace the driver's side window switch (easy job).

For more info on the radio display problem, check out:

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/index.htm

Dave
  • kalantarirkalantarir Member Posts: 14
    I have a 1997 Villager. The check engine light came on. I managed to read to code by jumping the right wires from the engine compartment connectors as described in the repair manual. It gave me a code 33, Oxygen sensor problem. So I replaced the sensor, but could not get the check engine light go away. I followed procedure in Hayens manual, but no luck. I even disconnected the battery, but the light is still on. Any idea what's going on? Thanks in advance
    My '99 has two O2 sensors, so double-check that.

Maybe try going to a parts store like AutoZone and get them to read the codes and interpret them too - many of the parts stores will do that for free.

You're 12,000 miles ahead of me Dave!

Steve, Host
  • rickrozrickroz Member Posts: 26
    I have a 99 SE with 80,000 mi. This is primarily my wife's van but I drive it occasionally. I drove it last week and noticed the tach was stuck at 2000 rpm. It never moves, even after shutting off the engine. Is there some easy fix for this, I really don't want to replace the whole gauge cluster.
       Our Quest had been pretty problem free, until a couple of weeks ago. It is in getting new cv boots, new rear bearings, and three new motor mounts (one was totally ripped, one crushed, the third one held everything together).
       Overall it has been a very good and reliable vehicle.
  • jim0004jim0004 Member Posts: 1
    My 1996 Villager experienced total brake failure during a panic stop buy normal braking seems fine. I checked the brake fluid and it's topped-off with no visible leaking. This has happened twice in the past day. Does anyone have any suggestions/clues?

Also, for the past year, when the oil life reaches approx 2500 miles (6 months), a loud valve knock develops, the "Check Engine" light comes on and performance (plus gas milage) is significantly degraded. I suspect that there's something wrong with the engine but the wife thinks that we don't change the oil enough. Some thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
  • rabaulrabaul Member Posts: 3
    Note my message #1377 re: balky window closure.
  • charles15charles15 Member Posts: 57
    Yesterday when I was using my wife's 99 Quest (73K) I noticed a strong coolant odor in the vicinity of the front passenger floorboard/firewall area. No visible leaks on the garage floor but the coolant level in the overflow tank is a bit lower than usual.

Could this be a heater core? Seems like the carpet would be wet if it was related to the core. Any ideas or experience with a coolant odor in this area?

Vehicle has been pretty trouble free up to this point.
  • usma82usma82 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 Villager and I have been battling a very small coolant leak for almost a year now. My coolant tank would run dry after about 2 months. There was no sign of coolant on the garage floor but you could actually smell the coolant (sweet smell) so I knew there was a leak somewhere.

The last time I took it to the Dealer they said they couldn't find the leak but they did put a dye in the coolant. Well, that was the trick! I took the car back to the Dealer just before Christmas and they found that the Throttle Body was leaking into the intake manifold.

I've read a lot of posts about sticking/dirty Throttle Bodies but never anything about coolant leaks. If anyone out there has a small coolant leak that they can track down take a hard look at your Throttle Body...

Good Luck
  • usma82usma82 Member Posts: 8
    Me again...

I thought I'd pass along some information on my front brakes. I have a 2000 Villager with 34,000 miles. I've actually have gone through 4 sets of front brakes and a pair of rotors!. I'm an ASE mechanic so I know what I'm doing when it comes to brake replacement but I couldn't understand why my brakes were wearing out so soon.

Everything was checked out to include the proportioning valve. Well, as it turned out Ford/Nissan had made a change to the friction material they use on the second generation Villagers/Quests. The brake pads I was purchasing from my local parts store still had the old style material so I continued to experience excessive wear and noise. I'm not one for buying parts from the Dealer but that was the only way I was able to fix the problem. As soon as I installed the Dealer pads the noise went away and I still have 95% of the pad left after 6,500 miles.
    The low washer fluid warning light came on recently on my 99 villager. I refilled the fluid, but the light does not go out. I did a search and saw where this issue was previously raised, but with no resolution noted. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone ever replaced the sensor? Not something critical that I want to spend a lot of money on, but the light is annoying.
  • waynerpwaynerp Member Posts: 35
    My light also came on (2000 Quest) and would not go off. I'm guessing you would have to replace the entire tank for a proper fix. As I recall, there is a floating part in the tank that is detected by the sensor when the fluid level is low, which turns on the light. In my case, this part no longer floated, thus the light stayed on. I was able to remove the sensor from the tank, with wire harness attached, and tie it off somewhere nearby. This causes the light to stay off regardless of fluid level.
    I guess that I will either have to replace the sensor or do what you did and disconnect it so that the light never goes on. On the Villager, you have to remove the right front wheel and fender liner to get to the tank. I'll do this when I get better weather.

Thanks for the reply.
  • kalantarirkalantarir Member Posts: 14
    I have a 97 Villager. In the past year or so, I have noticed delayed starting. I have pin pointed the problem to a leaky fuel pump check valve. So the remedy is simple, just turn the ignition key on for 5 seconds, let the line built up pressure, then one crank, it starts. But I know the fix is in the fuel tank, and more involved. I think a new fuel pump assembly, since my guess is that the fuel pump assembly will be all one unit. Has anyone experienced the same? And what was the cost for this repair? I assume there is no TSB on this.
  • okmomokmom Member Posts: 37
    We got sticky throttle body.
    We tried to clean it.
    Oh, well...
    We couldn't remove the air filter.
    (That is first step, right?)
    We couldn't open the box...
    We fond TWO clamps, where are other twos?

We will bring the car to the mechanic ...
    Anyone knows how much is reasonable charge for this?

we will have turn-up same time.
    For tune-up, he will charges $250-300.

2000 quest se
    58000 miles
    I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to open the box the first time I swapped the air filter on our '99 Quest.

There are three clamps on the air filter, one on top and two on the bottom.

That said, the throttle body is another foot towards the center of the engine compartment. Look for the 2 cables that end in a semi-circle gizmo downstream of the air filter box stuff. That's connected to the throttle air plate or whatever it's called.

You'll see a radiator type clamp near the cables - loosen that and pull the hose back to get access to the throttle plate and all the carbon that needs to be cleaned out.

If you can't get the hose back far enough, then you may need to unclamp the air filter box and finagle it out of the way.

It sounds harder than it is, and there's probably a better description in here that you could find with a Discussion Search.

Steve, Host
  • ladysilvannaladysilvanna Member Posts: 2
    Bought 1998 Ford Mercury Villager in November 2002, after two weeks test driving it. Had 65,130 miles and no serious problems listed on carfax. Drove great until 8 months later, August 6, 2003. The transmission was slipping. We had bought an extended 24/24 bumper to bumper warranty from DaimlerChrysler so, only had to plucked down our $100 deductable to keep it fixed and let out a big sigh of relief. Speed forward to today, January 16, 2004. They have put 4 new and rebuilt transmissions into this van, and it still send a "service engine" lite warning out. When they put it on the computer, it always says something is wrong with the transmission; some code starting with 10 I was told. I am told part of the problem is that its a hybrid build; Nissan and Ford agreed to make this van together, and sell it under their own van names. Ford put it together and Nissan supplied the parts. I've been told Nissan service centers are well aquainted with this problem and know all the ins and outs of fixing it. I even called up the nearest repair center and asked if he'd be willing to talk to my Ford service manager to help him out. He was happy to do so, but couldn't get the service manager to call him.

Bottom line - I am applying presurre to the dealership I bought it from to do a buy-back by writing essages on my van windows,

"Don't Buy a Ford & Don't Trust **** Dealership! Beep At Me and I'll Tell You Why!"

If they do beep me, I hand them a nicely printed out sheet explaining in detail my situation. I am also hitting all the internet consumer sites telling my story. Last I heard the two service managers involved were pressuring the dearlership owner to do something cause they are tired of seeing me in person and getting calls. THey haven't seen the message van yet, but I am sure when they do that will make their drop in sales and service more understandable. Especially in such a small community as we are, 18,000. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.
    Another plug for the search tools - if you look for transmission posts in here, you really won't find all that many. It sounds more like a dealer issue than a tranny issue.

fyi, pre-'04 Quests were built (mostly) with drivetrains shipped over from Japan to Ohio, where the parts (including sheetmetal from TN) were assembled by Ford employees.

Steve, Host
  • ladysilvannaladysilvanna Member Posts: 2
    Did I post my comments on the wrong thread? Topic Title of Discussion says
    "Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager Problems"
    I figured that included my problem. If not can you suggest another thread that is more appropriate?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I have to agree with the host that it is mostl likely a problem with the dealership rather then the part. That's a pretty lame excuse they gave you about the "hybrid" build and how Nissan made the part s and Ford put it together.

I highly doubt your smear campaign against the dealership will help and quite honestly will only hurt your case. You are not the first unhappy customer and Ican guarantee you won't be the last. As my foks once told me, you can get more with honey then with vinegar.

Since the Nissan folks are supposingly familar with this repair, why not take it to a Nissan dealership to get it fixed esp. since you have warranty. If the warranty is only good at this dealership, talk to the service manager and see if they can arrange some sort of agreement with a Nissan dealership to get this van fixed.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a buy-back considering you ahve had the van for over a year. Yes they have had t put 4 trannies in it but I don't think there are lemon law rules pertaining to used cars esp. with over 60k miles. I could be wrong.

Good luck with your van
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    I can remember reading on this or another Villager/Quest forum, a lot of times the CEL will come on and the code stored will be "incorrect gear ratio gear 3" or gear 2, something like that. It usually turns out being the TPS.

Might be worth a try to have the dealer replace that, it's a lot easier and less expensive than a transmission.

Dave
    TPS being the throttle position sensor?

Steve, Host
This discussion has been closed.