Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• kjanakjana Member Posts: 16
    These cars are hard to find in the northeast. What kind of discount from invoice are these dealers offering? BMW has placed a three year residual value of 45% on the 2001 740iL and that has scared me away for the moment. A $72,000 car worth less than $35000 in three years. Best sedan out there, though.
  • bmwbuyer1bmwbuyer1 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased I think the last brand new (140 miles) '01 740iL in South Cal. The dealer knew I wanted the car, so only $8000 off MSRP. I missed the clearance sale in November, when every car is at least 10K off MSRP. I knew someone who bought a blk/blk at 11.5K off MSRP.

There is still a fairly good selection of '01 "Executive Demos" with about 5K miles, excellent condition, never been registered "new" vehicle, asking for about 13-15K off MSRP. I rather pay a little more for a brand new car, just for the new car smell. :)
  • bmwbuyer1bmwbuyer1 Member Posts: 3
    BTW, there is a new '01 740iL in Tuscon, Anthrasite/grey.

I think I figured out the difference in the cockpit equipment among '01 740iL's. Apparently, the '01 were manufactured as early as 5/00. The early release has smaller LCD and side by side cassette player, and a CPT 7000 phone (Startac). The more recent release has a wider LCD and concealed cassette player, and a CPT 8000 phone (Timesport).

I note that many of the "Executive Demo" that are available were manufactured in 2000. This is another reason I did not go for the early release cars. The one I just purchased was manufactured in 8/01.
  • kjanakjana Member Posts: 16
    Congratulations on your new 740iL. I'm sure you will love it.
  • millerro3millerro3 Member Posts: 136
    just returned from the intro for this amazing car in Miami. Before I went down, I shared a lot of the negative views offered by some here. After seeing the car in person, I can say that pictures don't do it justice. I would like to know just who is writing these magazines' reviews of this car, saying it takes a half hour to start the car? Does that guy know what a computer is, how old is he? With everyone being so computer savvy these days, not many people are going to have a hard time figuring out I-Drive for themselves, unlike this guy from the stone age. The I-drive controller has really been receiving bad press about being too complicated, and it just isn't so. Any one that is just a 'little' computer savvy will find it very easy to use within 15-20 mins. of playing with it. Much easier than the old navigation system, and the press usually gave that one good remarks for ease of use! what's going on here??

I will say that I find the styling in person to be very attractive, yet very muscular looking. The rear end I am not crazy about, but I think it is growing on me, and I think it is putting people off at the moment, but then again, didn't the Taurus/Sable of the late 80's turn everyone's stomach with it's space shuttle-egg design? But after a couple years with that same design, didn't it outsell the accord and camry for a year or two? No, it is not a traditional design, and I think that is a big benefit. It's a car that one will look at and instantly recognize, rather than wondering what it is, or it looks just like that other car.

As far as driving the car, there is Nothing that compares with it! It handles like a 3'er with a sport pkg! Very traditional BMW handling but the ride with 18" or 19" wheels remains very smooth and compliant, no matter the speed or road surface.
    For comparison(lol)they had a Lexus LS 430 and a MB S430 for back to back driving. In terms of acceleration 0-60, it felt somewhat faster than BMW's claimed 5.9secs. It was ahead of the S430 by a couple car lengths, and the Lexus, well, it just wasn't there. For turning and transitional maneuvers, you could typically go about 10-15 mph faster through a given section in the 7 than in either of the other two. The MB felt ok when driving, but when it was pushed, it did go right off the track, where at higher speeds in the 7 it stayed on track and going where you wanted it to. And the Lexus was so much slower, it inspires little confidence in its' abilities, and people were driving that one much slower. And then at the end of the day, the Lexus needed new tires!? I swear, there was no tread left on them, when the BMW's showed NO sign of premature wear due to the flogging it received all day long.

As far as the interior goes, I think it is very rich looking, with a high quality feel all over. I wasn't too impressed with the other two cars, to me they just felt a little cheaper with the materials used. This may be a subjective area, and I'm probably a little biased. But I would like to comment for the poster who said he doesn't want the aluminum bits all over the place. Take a look at all these new cars coming out and see if they too are using aluminum bits and pieces in the interior. You may not like it, but apparently the masses do because I'm seeing it in a LOT of new cars coming out.

I like to think of myself as somewhat of an audiophile, so I definitely took note of the stereo, the Logic 7. 13 speakers, 420 watts. I was ready to be disappointed because I've heard SUCH good things about the Mark Levinson in the Lexus and the Bose in the MB, and BMW is usually slammed for their 'not up to par' systems. Well, I think Lexus and MB are not up to par when compared to this new system, not even close. It sounded absolutely beautiful, I likened it to a very high end home system. And BMW has FINALLY figured out that they need a CD changer in the dash, lol.

So, while everyone's a little uncertain right now, after spending two days driving and learning about the car, I have complete confidence in it, hopefully it wasn't just brainwashing!lol I think it'll take a couple of months for the sales to get off the ground, after some competent owners take delivery and see just how much better a car it is than the one it is replacing, and how much easier it is to use the interface, or I-drive.

Happy Motoring

Rob
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Interesting.... How/where did you get a chance to drive the new 7?

M
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Your comments about the LS430 are as far removed from reality (I lease 2) as is possible which makes me doubt everything else you say. I certainly disagree with you on the S as well. With that said I hope the 7 makes it because BMW will fall apart if it doesn't.
    BMW isn't going to "fall apart" my friend, they'll merely have to redesign the car a few years earlier that expected. They aren't going out of business if the 7 doesn't make it.

M
    I was in Miami for the introduction of the car, we drove it at the Homestead raceway. I am required to go to the intro so I will receive credit for each one I sell.

ljflx, I'm just trying to report to this thread what I experienced, not what a magazine is saying about the car. You say you have two Lexus' right now, and I believe you, but I know you have not had a chance to do a back to back comparison with the new 7, so you don't know how badly your Lexus will look when this car becomes available to the public. If you want to doubt my credibility, so be it. The reality is, this car blew me away, it felt SOoo nice to drive, I was nowhere near the handling limits of the car, and it could do a lot more than I was asking it do. Driving the Lexus does not compare at ALL. It is much more of a luxo-boat than anything else. The balance of handling and comfort are just not there, COMPARED to the 745. I never stated anything that said the Lexus was a bad car, but it sure looks that way after coming out of this 7 series.

I would suggest getting to your local dealer when they arrive and drive it for yourself, and you can then dtermine if my comments 'are so far removed from reality'.

Rob
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    I am a MB owner/fan and posted my opinion about the design on the board, but I had a chance to drive a Euro Spec model in Vancouver BC this past weekend, and was surprised at my feelings. It rides and responds much better than the S class and the interior was extremely rich and well built. I am still not sure about the design BUT it wasn't all bad. The car looks better in the flesh and is really big. Much more of a Bentley look at the curb. When the Li is available it will be close to 204in and just looks much bigger than it is. (The S-class looks smaller than it is)...The review above mentioned the sound system. Unbelievable is my opinion. I haven't heard the Lexus system but it blows Bose away. The most odd thing to me was no center mounted gear selector. The stalk and the push button starter is truly innovative if a bit unconventional. The seats were stunning and again the build quality is phenomenal. I guess one has to always see something rather than read and look at pics to make a truely accurate judgement. Even the i-drive, although it will take a long time for people to get the hang of it, was pleasantly usable for the little I got to play with it. And yes, when one gets used to it, it can be operated without taking your eye off the road.
    "Even the i-drive, although it will take a long time for people to get the hang of it, was pleasantly usable for the little I got to play with it."

I think this is the thing here, it looks confusing, it seems like it would be confusing, yet when one sits with it for 5 mins. it becomes quite obvious it IS easy to use, and IMHO, a better interface than anything else currently available.

Rob
    Sorry - I didn't mean to be so negative, But the LS430 is very fast, and ultra luxorious inside and the tire tread lasts plently long. The interior materials are exceptional as is the body build of the car. You seemed to be saying the opposite so thus my reaction. I'm sure the new 7 will be a great car. Personally I don't like the back end - I actually think its hideous. But that's me. The 7 is the last round in this battle but I'm sure that when the S and LS430 are redone in a few years they will raise the bar beyond this car. Both companies have immense resources at their disposal to wage war with BMW.
    Ok thanks.....the dealers here don't have any yet.

ljflx,

I predict your baby will be soundly trounced when the comparisons are done. As I've said all along.

M
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    While driving the cars, you said the 7 was faster than the S430 and that the LS 430 "just wasn't there."

I have never read a review anywhere that puts the S430 faster 0-60 than the LS430.

I'm not doubting you, but it seems contrary to what has been written and reviewed for two years now.
    I guess I'm going to lose a lot of sleep at night.
    No you won't but Lexus will.

M
    Don't think so. Maybe MB will. Lexus will lose sleep when MB has a redo of the S one year before them unless they beat them to the punch.
    Lexus have to wait for MB to redesign first so they can copy it again?

;)
  • egkelly1egkelly1 Member Posts: 30
    I am amazed by how BMW is able to sell such an ugly car-this model reminds me a the old Checker Marathons. There isn't a new styling idea in the lines-it really looks old! Whatever the technical merits of the car, the styling is just plain awful!
  • homeseller1homeseller1 Member Posts: 4
    I agree with an above post that when the 745i is released and we begin to see them on the street, they will become more accepted. Sure the rear is a bit unsightly now but I think the public will grow to accept and then like it. From all the magazine articles of future cars the 745i fits the shape of cars to come. I have an '00 740i sport, and though I still love the car, I am thinking in another year or two of getting a new 7 series. More power, more gadgets, more fun.
    Exactly, you can bet the next LS (whatever) will look very similar to today's S-Class, there always a step behind. To think the previous S-Class wasn't that big of a sales hit (or at least not the numbers Mercedes wanted to move) and Lexus copied it anyway. Pitiful

ljflx,

We'll see.....

M
    I'm sure Lexus has research indicating LS buyers like the look the car has. That's not pitiful, that's good business sense -- make what the customer wants. The LS has outsold the S-Class nearly every month since it was redesigned, so clearly the buying public likes the look. The current LS is a big hit.

I've mentioned this before: My grandfather had a 1977 Mercedes 450SLC and loved the look of the car (and all Mercedes models). But the car was a nightmare to own. He always said if a more reliable car looked like a Benz he would buy it. Sure enough, he bought three LS 400s before passing away.

What about what Mercedes copies from Lexus (like the glowing gauges among other things). Copying good things from other car makers, including styling, is not a bad thing.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    If the public has come to accept the Pontiac Aztek, then the BMW 745i should have no problems gaining that kind of acceptance, right?

The consumer's wallets will have the final say, whether this ugly car will be either a flop or not.
    Clearly just because the car is selling doesn't mean it's selling because of it's looks. Nobody with a sense of style is buying the LS430 for it's styling or looks...the car has none. It's bought because of it's quality and reliability reputation, not because it's a this gourgeous machine. Selling more units than the S-Class doesn't say much either since the car is on average 25K cheaper than a base (S430) S-Class...it's supposed to outsell the more expensive car. Mercedes' use of some gauges?? Big deal. Mercedes could never copy the hundreds of small details Lexus has copied. Lexus didn't even event the gauges, they were supplied to them by a supplier. The things they took from Mercedes, styling being the main one were of pure Mercedes origin. In short Mercedes hasn't copied 1/10th of what Lexus has copied from them. There's no comparision. Mercedes' are a lot better since 1977, I know you know that.

M
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I just saw the new 745i at the LA auto show and had a chance to sit in it and play with an i Drive at a station they had set up. I think the looks will be more acceptable as one sees the new car. I am somewhat concerned about the iDrive but with use I don't think it will be a problem. My greatest concern is the shifting. Since I like a console mounted shifter and enjoy shifting for the proper gear manually I am not sure that the US version will be very satisfying. Although there are wheel mounted shifter buttons my understanding is that in the US(for gas milage reasons)you can't shift sequentially and downshift into the next lower gear. Any comment from someone who has driven the car would be appreciated.
    I also think I'd be concerned about Valet parking the car until it has been out awile and they figure out the proceedure for reverse,etc.
  • anthonyp1anthonyp1 Member Posts: 27
    I was wondering if you are going to buy the bmw? Tony
    No, I'm not going to buy the 745i, it's just a little beyond my means! I will sell them though!
    For now, I'm happy with the 330i, in March I will have a 330ci;)

pathdoc, while it is true that there will initially be no steptronic mode due to gas guzzler concerns, you can downshift the car using the L/D(limiting drive)button on the steering wheel. When you push that button, it allows you to then downshift with the thumb buttons to whatever gear you want to, but the trans will not upshift past that gear, until you hit the L/D button again, when it resumes a normal shifting program. It's like a "half steptronic", so to speak.

hope this helps

Rob
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Does anyone know what the exact difference between the 745i and the 745Li is besides the obvious stretch? Also will the 760i coming this fall have a lot more features besides the V12? I can't imagine what else BMW would add. Again I think the design is radical but let's see how it sells. I think a lot of people will buy it just because it ISN'T a S-Class...Thanks
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    And a lot of people buying the LS 430 that is outselling the S Class. So, I conclude that the LS 430 sales will be strong inspite of how great the 7 series is.

J "CaddyLac"
    the differences between the i and Li are the height(Li .1 inches higher), standard 20-way comfort seats in the Li, standard active front head restraints in the Li, and optional 14-way rear comfort seats(only available in the Li).

I don't have info for the 760Li from BMW yet so I won't comment on that, but I would expect to see every option in the 745Li to be standard in the 760Li.

Rob
    yeah, other differences are the Li is 5.5 inches longer at 123.2 in. 5.2 inches add'l leg room, smaller increment due to Li's standard comfort seats.

Li's turning circle is 41.3 ft, vs. 39.8 ft.

Li's weight is 4464 lbs, or 88 lbs. more than the 745i

Rob
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Is like a "Knee Airbag" that is currently found on the driver's side for the Kia Sportage?
    The LS430 comparably equipped to an S-430 is only about $5k cheaper. The most popular option package that Lexus imports it in (ML/Nav package) makes it come in about $8k cheaper. Where do you get the $25k from?

Have you seen the new 7 yet? Looks like its out per Edmunds new car pricing. I still don't like it, particularly that rear but I've yet to see it in person.
    I'm not in the market fot the new 7 but if anyone is here's a lease deal advertised in NJ. MSRP $69k, $799 per mo. - 42 months, 4850 down, no security deposit, 60% residual value. That should work out to about $935 per month with $0 down if you apply the math and can negotiate your way past the down payment. It seemed to be a BMW program and not a local dealer one.
    Well I have finally been able to examine the new 7 up close. I'll start with the good news first. The interior is made of the highest quality materials around. The seats are some of, if not the best around. The car looks a lot smaller than it really is. From a few feet away it looks small and 5-Seriesh, but when you get right up on it, it's huge. The car I looked at was in the showroom so I didn't have the chance to start it and check out the idrive system. I was generally shocked by the LACK of buttons in on the dash. Only the "basic" functions are represented by conventional buttons/knobs/switches. The car's overall build, construction and sheer size remind me a lot of the W140 (1992-1999) S-Class Mercedes-Benz. It's a larger than life car that will unfortunately be either hated or loved with very little middle ground.

Now for the bad news.....the car is ugly. As much as it pains me to have to say this about a BMW it's true. The car's rear end belongs on another car from another era. It's true what they say about darker colors, but the 7 I examined was a darker color! Wait, it gets worse. The wheels are NOT centered in the wheelwells. The car is very akward looking from the side because of this. Even the front end doesn't look "right". The headlamp openings are just too large with too much space between the lamps and the hood. So the typical BMW "shark" look is now gone too. At this point I would be among the board members that are saying that Chris Bangle has to go. There is only one more styling test of mine that this car hasn't been through yet, hopefully it will look better then if not its truly an "ugly" car.

I can only hope the 2004 5-Series doesn't look like a minature version of the this new 7-Series. I'm still in disbelief.

M
  • jerrybergerjerryberger Member Posts: 3
    I've been back to the dealer 4 times for a recurring but sporadic steering wheel & body shake on my '95 740iL. I replaced half worn tires - to no avail. I've rebalanced the new tires three times. The car still shakes badly but only occasionally at exactly 50 Mph (& is not noticable below 47 and above 53). This is driving me crazy. Nothing appears obvious other than the shake. Any suggestions?
    have you checked all four wheels to see if one is bent? That's what it sounds like to me.

I had the same thing with my car. It would only shake at about 65mph amd it was smooth at 60mph and 70mph, turns out I had a nicely bent rim.
    Appreciate your honesty and frankness. Now what exactly was that design team thinking when they approved it for production? I saw some beautiful designs that they passed on - one in particular that would have made me very interested on my next shopping trip in 2 years. Now I guess it'll be the LS vs. the S again and maybe the A-8 though that's a long-shot - god willing of course. I didn't notice the headlamp problem until you pointed it out which made me take a closer look at the pix on Edmunds and I agree with your observation. I also agree that the front doesn't have that hawkish hunter look of the past model (which I'm starting to appreciate more and more when I see it in my rear-view mirror) but it's still the rear that is a turnoff to me.

By the way did you get any indication if demand for the car is hot, lukewarm or cold?
    Yeah it's a real shock for me. I was so turned off by the car I didn't ask about demand for it. Though there were a lot of ooohhhs and ahhhhs going on around the car. It seems that I and the others that were looking at the car were seeing the car for the first time. Some liked it, some didn't. Sales numbers will tell the story. Stay tuned.

M
    what is the test of yours that the car has yet to be put through? If it's driving the car, I doubt you would be disappointed. As far as looks, I can't argue on such a subjective thing. As you said, some will like it, some will hate it(sounds like it should be in the love/hate attitude topic).
    After reading your post, I went out to look at our car, which has the 19" wheels, and I didn't really notice the wheels not being centered. Did you notice whether the car you looked at had the 18" or 19" wheels?

Rob
    If you get a loaded LS 430 (Ultra), it stickers for around $70,000. A comparably equipped S430 is around $90,000 - $95,000.

That may be the $25,000 referred to earlier.
    When I was pricing - both cars had options that the other didn't. Lexus had its fridge and massagers and I forget what the S had but it of course offered things Lexus didn't have. But for the most part a loaded S-430 very comparable to the ultra was in the 78-80k range. A pretty loaded S-500 was mid 80's and then you got into the 90's with the S-500 sport and amg models. I'm not sure if there is a S-430 amg or whether it even would sell because most people would be in an s-500 at that point. The dealer told me the S-430 is usually sold pretty spartan because once you add a few things you are in the S-500 price league which is better equipped and powered to begin with.

Have you posted any sales data recently?
    Well there is a test that has always worked for me. It's going to sound wierd but here goes. If I'm riding in the right most lane of a 3-lane expressway and I see a car in the left most lane travelling about 1 1/2 to 2 car lengths in front of me it gives me just the right "profile" to judge the styling of the car. It's a rolling 3/4 view, the three quarter view of a car being the best angle to look at in my opinion. Almost always if a car doesn't pass this test it's been an ugly car to me. I hope I explained it right, I guess I could show better than tell. But try it (without causing an accident) sometime. The 7 I looked at had the 18 inch wheels, good point I"m sure the 19's would look better. I just noticed in your post you have one?(!) Do you have some pics you could post? What color/options did you get? Are you an idrive expert yet?

M
    Not to get off topic here on the 7 board, but here's a comparison of an LS 430 Ultra vs S430:

LS Ultra -- Right around $70,000
    S430 comparably equipped -- $89,860:

72,495 -- base car w/dest charge
    2,000 -- ventilated front seats
    1,155 -- xenon lights w/washers
    820 -- wood wheel and shift knob
    1,825 -- power rear seats
    1,880 -- rear AC controls
    140 -- NAV CDs for entire country
    1,015 -- Parktronic
    820 -- upgraded leather
    1,565 -- ventilated rear seats
    2,875 -- Distronic speed control
    2,960 -- active suspension
    310 -- rear side window shades

That's a nearly $20,000 difference. By the way, the S500 starts at $80,845.

No new sales numbers, but I'll see what I can find.
    I think you misunderstood, I wish I had a 7 series!!

What I went to look at was our dealership demo car. We have to have it available for test drives and can not sell it for a month or so. Did the dealer you went to have one for test drives, or just the one on the showroom floor?
    You gotta drive one of these, really impressive.

I can appreciate your test, I like to admire cars from that angle as well, and it's funny because I like to see the car rolling as well, maybe something about seeing it in action? Who knows

Rob
    Oh I see... Nope they wouldn't allow test drives yet, they only have 2 so far. Both officially belong to BMW, not the dealer.

lenscap.

The S430 doesn't need ABC to compete with the LS430. Airmatic will suffice.

M
    I see Edmunds likes the new 7. I guess Black will be the body color of choice, doesn't look as bad in Black.

M
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The review merc1 mentions can be accessed from the Helpful Links box on the left sidebar.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    After having examined more pictures of the 7 in various publications, I am beginning to warm to some aspects of the car I had previously doubted. First, the interior has really grown on me. Prior 7s have been sterile and uninviting, and that look and the lack of driver leg room were principally responsible for me looking elsewhere last year when I bought. (Why in the world, in a car with such a HUGE back seat (iL), they can't let the front seat go back several more inches is just beyond me). Don't know if they have fixed the latter, but I really like the look if the cockpit. Second, the exterior, from the rear doors forward has grown on me. It still looks like a Passat retaining water, but I no longer find it as odd as I once did.

However, the trunk still looks horrible. As the new "Spin Around" article on Edmunds says, it was an afterthought by BMW to fix the aerodynamic problems posed by the taller canopy, and it looks like it. Just too much going on for my taste.

Finally, those (like Edmunds) who defend the iDrive are missing the point, in my view. They say that anyone who can operate Word can operate iDrive; maybe so, but I operate Word (complete with its infuriating crashes, non-intuitive commands and spurious bugs) every day AT MY DESK, not going 75 down the highway. As most engineers will tell you that when you ask a device to do two functions rather than one, it likely won't accomplish either as well as a device dedicated to one alone. Have you looked at the palmtop/cell phone combos? This device combines all of the electronic and electro-mechanical functions in to a single device that offers no tactile feedback, the way buttons and knobs on the dash can. The fact that this combination can be made to work at all may be a testament to the talents of BMW's techies, but it does not mean that functionality has been gained; indeed, functionality has been degraded significantly. I suppose for those that buy a car for the geewiz factor this will be attractive, but the goal, IMHO, should be to make the most FUNCTIONAL devices, not the most "impressive."

In sum, I react to the car the way I would to an intriguing concept car; some great ideas and some real flash, but clearly not ready for the market. We will see if I am right or completely off base.
    I buy that. Though idrive whether a hit or not *probably* still won't be the wave of the future. I would imagine it's very expensive also.

M