Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• vellumvellum Member Posts: 4
    nice cars...I have a Porsche C4 cab ('95) and the wife has the ML 500 and loves it Have to make my decision next week on the S500 or the 745. My wife hates the look of the BMW but...I think she (I) will get used to it.
    PS My partner bought has a CL500 and loves it but did not like dealing with the dealer you bought your 600 from...FLETCHER JONES!! so he ended up going to "house of Imports" ha.
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    Well, I have to agree with your friend. My experience at Fletcher Jones was an absolute nightmare, my single worst car buying experience ever. My car, by the way, no longer wears their license plate frame. The day of the sale went fine, they certainly have a good selection, though I would have liked to seen an S55, none in stock. I had a four day drive home over a weekend. They called me three times to bother me about my insurance info. I gave them the policy number, and the agents name and phone. They called to tell me a) my policy had expired and b) it wouldn't cover anything but my scooter???? umm, I don't own a scooter. So what did they expect that I was going to do for them in the middle of New Mexico on a Satruday? One quick call to my agent Monday cleared it up. But what a bunch of numb skulls! Then there was the phone fiasco, they wanted to activate it in CA, umm, I live in MN, just send me the handset, I will handle the rest, that took about a month.

Then I wanted a set of wheels to mount snows on. Salesman offers a new set of 16" S500 wheels, assuring me they fit my 600, even after repeated questioning by me. So six weeks later, after two written letters and a dozen phone calls, I get the 16s. They don't fit. I have to return the tires I bought and send back the wheels. Then they send 17" S600 wheels, two weeks later, no longer winter after two months of waiting! The wheels show up filthy with brake dust, used, and scratched from poor packaging. Hows that for customer service? I buy the most expensive car on the lot, and it is a big lot, and they spend two months fullfilling their part of the deal. I wrote to MBUSA as well. Nobody cares anymore. Fortunately my dealer in MN is a good place. Too bad they never have the top cars in stock. But those are just SOME of the issues I had with F-J. Avoid them like the plague.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    As we all know, the purchase price isn't all that's involved in the true cost of a vehicle. Check out the article and new tool at Edmunds.com:

True Cost to Own (TCO): Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• vellumvellum Member Posts: 4
    I will copy and paste this to my buddy...what a nightmare. It ia amzing how poor cutomer service can be. I locked my friends keys in the trunk of his CL500 and we had to have it towed 25 miles away to get them out and 3 days later...! The satellite remote unlocking system didn't worki and the security on that vehicle is such that you can't have AAA open it either. it was a joke. NO LOANER!! $100K and you get treated like yesterday. The MB dealer I am talking with has a beautiful S55 loaded with every conceivable option black/black. A bit out of my price range but I could swing it. Tempting.
    The 55 like all AMG machines has an edge on it. The engine is hand built, the power is very impressive. I hear they will be upping the power substantially soon. After my S600(362hp) I really can't imagine wanting more in a car this size. The S55 is awfully sweet! It gives you more sport than the 745, that is for sure.

How has the ML been? That thing is a great value. I came close but can't give up my G-wagen.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    rumor has S55 will get the Supercharged V8 that's in the SL55 AMG. If that's the case, they'll have to bump the HP up on the V-12!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

V12 will go to 408hp, S55 ~476. BMW will be introducing a V10 with nearly 500hp to compete. Its getting crazy out there!
  • benznutbenznut Member Posts: 104
    I doubt that the 600 will have 408hp. Several magazines are confirming that MB is going to change the V12 engine in all the flagships into a detuned twin turbo making from 460 to 495hp, and it will be back to 4-valve technology. There is a lot of stuff going on at MB, a lot of last minute changes. I just heard that the SL55 was recalled to be power-bumped at 500 hp. This may make MB halt the twin turbo v12 idea. And do not forget: MB also has a V10 somewhere in the bottom drawer, just in case.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Yep that V10 has been rumored for years. It was due back in 1999 in AMG trim, not sure what happened to it. I would like to see what MB could get out of the V12 if they supercharged it, don't really care for turbos in a luxury car.

M
    Yesterday while rollerblading home along the Westside Highway, I saw a late model 740i with a Sport Package in BRIGHT RED! It was gorgeous!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• colt007colt007 Member Posts: 64
    I was going to ask v12power about that. My wife says she saw a red 7 series (no numbers on back)in Westchester that had the shadowline trim that I know the 5 series sport package has. I thought she was seeing things...I didn't know the 7 had/has a sport package. I can only imagine what driving that must feel like.

Colt.
    I know someone (older guy in his 70's who has a house on LI & in Palm Beach, FLA) who drives either a 2000 or 2001 BMW 740i Sport. It is Black on Black. I had the pleasure of driving the car once for about an hour and a half. What an amazing car. The power was endless, the handling was superb (especially for such a larg vehicle). I just love the look of the 19" M Parallel Double 5 spoke wheels!

That car is the best kept secret in BMWs line-up. I think it has been an option since '99. It is only on the short wheelbase. It includes the shadowline trim, 18" wheels, deeper rear end gear ratio, and sport seats. I am not sure about spring and shock differences. The cars handle great anyway so maybe they left it to preserve the ride. With the lower gears it out runs the 750iL.
  • ron9112ron9112 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2001 7 series in to service and the dealer gave me a loaner x5. It had just been delivered and had only 6 miles when they gave it to me. But, the trip mileage had more miles than the actual mileage reading. I asked them about it. It took about five minutes to get a response. They told me that before the cars are shipped they are run on barrels for final inspection and then the mileage is clocked back. That explanation does not sound right. The car did not seem brand new either. Any comments?
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I had a chance to drive one last year-I was ready to scoff at it before I got in. But I was amazed how much fun it was. It really drove far smaller than it is. I still wonder if the black trim and low-profile tires are a little beneath its dignity,but it is a driver!!
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    V12Power,

They made it an option for the long wheelbase in 2001. I'm surprised there was a demand for it, but evidently there was...I like the sport package, but I think it looks goofy on the long WB. And while the sport seats are appropriate for the car, I expect that the majority of 7-series buyers would not like the extra effort needed for exit and entry.

Conversely, I think the comfort seats (option) are the best in the world.

DB
    I used to think the same thing about the comfort seats. Then I bought this S-Class. There is no comparison. I have a feeling BMW updated the seats for the new 745 as well.

On my 750iL the "sport' wheels were a stand alone option. My car has them with the standard chrome window trim and comfort seats. I absolutely love the look of the 18" M-parralell wheels, they look great on any 7.
  • dave203dave203 Member Posts: 13
    Glad to hear people like the 740i Sport so much. I have a Silver one with the black trim & factory window tints. Here are the extra details/specs on the 740i Sport;
    3.15:1 instead of the usual 2.81:1 rear axle ratio; (324 ft-ls torque @ 3700 rpm)
    Heavy duty torque converter with higher stall speed;
    Steptronic 5-speed ZF transmission (has 3 modes - normal, sport & manual);
    Springs 10% stiffer front, 25% stiffer rear; Shock absorbers are twice as firm (100%) both front & rear; self levelling suspension;
    22mm front stabilizer bar vs. the standard 20mm, .8" lowered suspenion - this is essentially the M suspension package.

A co worker of mine had his black '99 740i past 155mph, so the electronic limiter is definitely not the usual 128/130mph but I am not willing to confirm this on my own. LOL !! Keep in mind the drag coefficent on this 740 is lower than 540 6 Speed drag coeff which is critical at high speeds... The performance & handling is indeed amazing for a car weighing 4200+ lbs..its an executive hot rod.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    On Motorweek last night,I say a spy shot of the new S-Class Benz. I was stunned to see that its trunk very much mimics the new 745i. So there much be a greater aerodynamic advantage than most imagined. I've never been espically bothered by the looks of the 7:Ive been too busy fuming about the idrive!
    Whenever I'm bugged by a new design,I recall what bruno Sacchi(sp),he was head of Mercedes design,said about a car;s design. He felt if we are too immediately comfortable with a car's design,that hints that it will date too redily.
    He said this in reference to the 1977 E-class when it came out. I can't believe it today,but I remember when it came out,I actually thought it far too rounded! The previous E was exceptionally square,and therefore very space efficient. Now,of corse,most would say the '77 itself is pretty boxy. But at the time,I wasn't ready for it.
    If it was the picture below it's pure crapola:

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/notw221.htm

M

These are jsut the art work of someone with a hobby
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A television reporter is interested in hearing from folks who have driven long distances to get good prices when buying new cars or trucks. If you have a story to tell, please drop a line including your contact info and city/state of residence to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    I spent the last 3 days driving the new 7-series. While I'll join the chorus of people that claim the design of the rear end is too disjointed to ever truly grow, it is a car that endears itself very quickly with (1) the best interior in its class (and I have driven Jaguars for some years now...), and (2) superb feel while driving.

It boggles my mind that all the magazines write about is the design and the i-drive (which I didn't even really touch). The merits of the car are entirely elsewhere. Most top sedans feel like faults, but the new 7 feels like the Swiss central bank's vault.

As to the i-drive, I think car vendors (and not only BMW) are totally missing the boat with their electronic craze. If they're halfway serious about user interfaces... put an optional wifi port on the car, and give users a CD-ROM with PC and MAC versions of a control program. Proceed to control all those gimmicky car functions you never change anyway with a real graphic interface.
  • silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    I'M ACTUALLY SHOPPING FOR A 5 SERIES BUT NEEDED SOME INPUT FROM THE 2002 7-SERIES OWNERS.

HAS BMW UPGRADED THE NAV. SYSTEM WITH THE NEW I-DRIVE ADDITION? I KNOW THAT BEFORE, THE GPS USED A CD VERSION INSTEAD OF THE MORE IMPRESSIVE DVD VERSION. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF BMW HAS DECIDED TO CATCH UP WITH THE LEADERS IN NAVIGATION SYSTEMS.

THANKS
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    The 2002 745i still has the CD based navigation, not DVD. My biggest disappointment with iDrive is the slight delay between pages, which I believe is due to the processor speed.
  • nstroghilasnstroghilas Member Posts: 3
    Indeed, the 740i Sport version was one of BMW's better productions....a 1999 Edmunds auto reviewer proposed it as possibly the "finest sedan in existence" during that period....if one looks at the steering wheel and sport wheels of later 740 Sport models, the M badging is discreetly profiled, as that division of BMW was reponsible to the vehicle's performance upgrading....note that the iL version of the Sport package was purely for the sake of appearance,(trim, seats, etc.), while the shorter i version has the true M engineered performance enhancements....Looking at new 2002 745i one appreciates the past model even more so....the enginneers and designers of the new model will be joining their colleagues of the Pontiac Aztek on the unemployment line shortly..once the "buzz" of the new model wears off, and the initial sales spike plummets, this turkey of the BMW line is going to get a serious makeover in a year or two...not only is it downright ugly,( think Dodge Intrepid rear/trunk view),the botched idrive concept makes this not the "ultimate driving machine" but a distraction hazard. This is a car Microsoft would produce if they were in the automotive business.
  • lgoodyearlgoodyear Member Posts: 7
    My 93 740il has 148,000 miles on it. it is a great car & was well maintained by original owmer. I am contemplating upgrading it with new wheels and minor maintenance repairs hoping that no major repair is lingering around the next corner. I am also thinking of selling it with no furhter investment and buying a 94-95'740il with only 95-100k miles. Any comments out there?
  • vic19vic19 Member Posts: 56
    I turned in my 5 series at the end of a three year lease and drove the new 7 series.

It drives as you'd expect. Quite and well balanced. They moved the gear shift to the column and made room on the console for the joy stick and other accutraments.

The last time I had to make this decision, it was fairly easy. I suspected that the 7 was about to change and it seemed like such an old man's car. This time maybe it's me but it doesn't have such a Frankfurt banker look. I guess the new 5 is coming out this fall, that according to the salesman. It's a great car, but I guess I'm a little tired of it.

I didn't get down to the nut cutting, but whatever it's worth, he hinted that he would take something less than a $2,000 markup. It's just like my 5. If I buy, I can see what's coming on the boat or what's being manufacturered in the near future and select anything that isn't already sold. The nice thing about the 7 is that there really aren't many expensive options. It's really easy to put $20,000 worth of options on a S class.
    Mercedes S500 outaccelerated and outmaneuvered the BMW 745i in a recent TopGear comparison. They said that the merc was more of a driver's car. Not good for BMW, especially considering that the Bimmer had 19in wheels with performance tires and 333hp (european version), whereas the S500 was down 27hp and had the "handicapping" standard 16 inch wheels with all-season tires. Also to note was the fact that the MB did not have ABC, whereas BMW had the new semiactive system. How is that for a lack in power?!
  • cppgrcppgr Member Posts: 4
    There is a recall in new BMW 7-Series for about 8,000 cars.
    They finally decided to revise the trunk?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Actually, 15,000 cars were recalled to correct two possible software-related problems linked to the elecronic systems that measure fuel levels and regulate the throttle.
  • stallonestallone Member Posts: 4
    CAN ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THEY HAD A REMOTE STARTED IN THE 745 BMW IM THINKING TO HAVE ONE IN THANH YOU
  • dave203dave203 Member Posts: 13
    guys I know who have added electrical accessories or mods have only had problems on their 740's as a result. this would be even risker on the 745 due to the greater complexity in the car. good luck
  • vic19vic19 Member Posts: 56
    I'm going to order a 2003 7 series. I drove it when I turned in my 5 last week and I finally decided that I like it. It takes awhile with it's ersats leather dash and funny controls and strange trunk lid but hey it's not bland like the S class.

Please tell me what kind of deals you guys have been getting on this car. I notice that there are no subvented leases like on my 5.

I guess the Europeans have finally given in to the auto transmission. If they offer one in Europe, what you they do they do with the joy sitck?
  • nstroghilasnstroghilas Member Posts: 3
    That's a good question for the manual transmission versions of this car which are popular in other parts of the world..Maybe they'll wind up in some BMW museum in Munich and people there can view them and chuckle at the excess of over the top engineering and learn from such mistakes.. IMHO, the whole idrive concept is headed for the scrap yard, as BMW will have to swallow hard and reconfigure their controls.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • kerbkerb Member Posts: 195
    Does anyone know if this is possible? Is there an adapter or other apparatus which would allow for this? Also, is there a way to receive TV signals via the navigation display.

Many Thanks.
  • skichick35skichick35 Member Posts: 1
    While passing a car at 80 mph in 5pm traffic to get off on an exit ramp, I realized I could not slow down or gear down and that I had no brakes. Without panicing, as some women would do, I tried to think of what I could possibly do in order to avoid a serious collision with the four lanes of traffice in front of me. After trying to gear down and brake, I turned the car off and pulled the park brake while skidding into the car in front of me. I am wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem and if so what BMW did about it. I have had my throttle cables replaced, but now my tranmission is slipping, I am afraid I am in for a true "ride". This is my first experience owning a BMW and I am about ready to push it off the side of a mountain. I have had this car since March 21st and it is about to be towed for the third time. 1997 740i, 64k miles, CPO...I thought these cars were supposed to run forever!
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    The quality of all luxury cars is declining (with the exeption of Lexus perhaps) This is because of cost cutting by the German auto companies. The cost of doing business there is much higher than other locals. A friend said his boss's 745i was a disaster and that he took it back to the dealer in three weeks. My 2001 S500 has many more creeks and noises than a mid 90's model and the plastics suck. I didn't even consider the phone system after hearing the problems with it. Also just like software the more gizmos get put into a car the more it 'crashes' so to speak. I think in order to get the build quality of a Bentley, MB S class and BMW 745's would be much more costly. Too bad for the consumer. Lower sticker prices (if you can call a 75K+ low) are the price we pay for poorer quality.
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    Hum, it sounds like that half of the new 7 series is junk then. Hate to say it but I view them junk right at this moment. It does not make since for a car to break down on you that cost more than a house note. The LS 430 has almost just as much technology and you don't hear these kind of problems in them thus far.

Hope BMW fix these nagging problems and recalls because their styling will not do them justice since it is being heavily criticized. The only thing worth mentioning is their compact sports car-like handling, technology, and comfort.

J "CaddyLac"
  • faustomdfaustomd Member Posts: 3
    I liked the new 7 the moment I saw it in Italy last november. Now that I've been driving my brand new 745Li around for almost a month, I love it. I have been an MB loyalist for some time, but this car far outperforms all possible MB models in terms of comfort, technology and luxury. I also have a '00 MB E430 4Matic (for winter/rain driving). Since I have started driving the Bimmer, the Benz has been sitting in my driveway. Too bland, too traditional, not appealing. It definitely does not cost 85k, but I would have expected more from a 60k car. Anyway, I love the Bimmer. I have had no problem with it so far. This car turns more heads than a Porsche convertible, and people like it more and more. It wil be a big score for BMW, and I am sure that MB will be at a loss at least until the S series will be restyled in 2005.
    What it seems like to me you're enjoying your "new" car more than your "older" one. Thats only natural. Must be nice.......

M
    Does anybody know if it is possible to deactivate the "fasten seat belt" in the date/temp slot? It is very annoying and I am sure there's a way around it.
    Thanks

FaustoMD
  • millerro3millerro3 Member Posts: 136
    why don't you put your seatbelt on? That'll make it go off!
    Great advice, Millerro...but I really didn't ask for it! Refrain from judging others only from posted question, which might be purely technical. I just drove back from NYC, fully buckled all the way, as always. The problem is that even when you drive the car around your driveway, it is impossible to read the outside temp. unless you fasten the seat belt. Now, if you know the answer to my original question, your reply is very welcome, otherwise, save your time and wisdom!
    Thanks in advance,
    FaustoMD
  • MGySgtMGySgt Member Posts: 5
    I'm seriously looking at a 740i to replace my venerable old Thunderbird which is going to my mother. I'm fairly familiar with BMW but haven't driven a 7 Series. I gave my wife the choice of a new MB or BMW 5 Series but she chose a 2002 Mazda Tribute instead and is very happy with it. Anyway, are there any old hands with 7 Series out there? I mostly use my cars for highway driving and reliability is a must. Thanks in advance for whatever advice I get.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Crazy wives.

No big executive luxury sedan on the road looks and drives better than a 740i. Too bad I'll never dream of a 7-Series again in the "after Bangle happened" era. Wonder how the 'event' of the 745i launch has impacted 740i values.
  • stallonestallone Member Posts: 4
    im thinking to buy the new 745li the peoples that alredy have whath they think of the car i wos thinking the 2003 what is the big ploblems about the car thank you