Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hello, iam considering purchsing
    a new 2002 cavalier ls sport with
    4 doors and ecotech engine. is
    this car any good and what
    advantages does this new engine
    have over the 2.4 engine it replaces. thank you
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I have a 02 Cav. 4door with the full ground effects and the ecotech engine. Very peppy and I got 32mpg at 70 on a 300mile trip in 0 degree weather. Only problem I have had is the inside mirror vibrates after sitting in the 90+ temps all day. The mirror is just to easy to adjust and should be a little tighter. If thats the only problem I have I'm a happy camper.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    The 2002 Cavalier LS with Ecotech engine is almost surely the best bargain in an automobile this year. Personally, I have owned five Cavaliers in a row (still have a 1996 Cavalier) and have had very little trouble, lots of enjoyable miles, just wish I had had all the 2002 LS features!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    We just gave back a 99 Cavalier (off lease) and got an 02 Alero with the Ecotec. The Cavalier was perfectly reliable but the engine was not great. We love the Ecotec in the Alero, it's much smoother and quieter than the Quad 4, on par with any good 4 cyl motor out there now. Cavalier is a bit dated now, but with the Ecotec, it's a screaming bargoon and should serve you well.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    too sure about the chain driven water pump,I think it's still going to give trouble.
    But at least you won't have to tear the whole front of the engine apart just half,time will tell.
  • desavirsiredesavirsire Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2002 Cavalier LS Sport Coupe about a month and a half ago, It`s an automatic which is probably most of my problem but anways, about 5 days after I got the car I was going down the road at about 60 mph and I pushed the gas to go a little faster and the RPM gauge jumped up, the car didn`t accelerate at all the RPM`s just went up i pulled over several times and tried a few different ways of making the problem go away, I turned the car off and restarted it, it did the same thing at about 40 mph so i pulled over again and put the car in 3rd as apposed to drive it still did it after messing around with it for about 5 minutes it stopped and drove fine all the way home. About 4 days after that my mom took it out of the garage turned it off so she could go lock up the garage, got back in the car and tried to re-start it, it didn`t start until about the 3rd try, then wehn she was on her way home it did the same thing to her that it did to me where the RPM`s jumped up, she pulled over and shut the car off for about 5 minutes and then restarted and it worked fine. For all of these problems we took the car into the dealership and they told us that there was no problem showing up on the computer and that we should drive it to see if it does it some more, we tried to get them to buy the car back but it wasn`t covered under the lemon law which is kinda complicated, but anyways in a couple of days i`m going to trade the POS in for a 2002 Toyota Celica, i`m done with Domestics!!!! Also before the 2002 cavalier i had a 1996 and that one worked fine.
    Sounds like a computer problem. What makes you think the Toyota will be better. They have many many problems including engine sludge which the big T is trying to weasle out of. You could end up in worst shape than you are now, besides losing your you know what on the car. I've had the 4 door version loaded for about 8 months and it hasn't missed a beat.
    Trade it in and you will loose thousand$. Might want to have the car checked before you fly off the handle like that. I'm sure the computer just needs some adjustments or something.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Unfortunately, some problems, such as yours, are sporadic and sometimes can't be duplicated in one shop visit. Since you're overreacting here, and about to lose your shirt in a same-year trade-in, take the Cav back to the shop and insist that they keep it for a couple of days and drive it. I had an intermittent problem in a Mazda-by-Ford pickup I used to own, and they only found it after I left it with them for three days and the service manager drove it home every night. Try that. Like these guys are saying, it may be a computer problem -- although I think it sounds like an automatic transmission problem. And if so, then you REALLY want to catch it under warranty. Believe me.

Meade

P.S. Hi Dindak! Yeah, I still lurk even though my wife finally traded the Crapalier for a Protege5 eight months ago and is loving it. Holds a baby seat and the stroller much better too, and has a better warranty -- oh, and no problems in 9,000 miles. We couldn't say that for the Cavalier, which by this time had the infamous lower-dashboard rattle, a new stereo and a replaced headlight switch. ;-)
  • rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    I'v had my '02 Cavalier LS coupe since April 1st and love driving it--NO Problems! It's had one oil change so far. I've got a total of 3200 miles on it. Before you loose big time getting rid of your car that quickly-as Meade suggested-let the dealer keep it for a few days!

Don't throw in the towel yet.
    Glad your Mazda is working out for you. We had our Cavalier for 2 1/2 years and the lease came up so we decided to buy an Alero with the 2.2L Ecotec back in May. The Cavalier is a screaming deal but we decided the Alero was a bit nicer and still within the budget so we upgraded a little. Love the Alero, but I still think for the money the Cavalier is a bargoon. We had great luck with our 99.
  • danz28danz28 Member Posts: 19
    I got me a 2002 Chevy Cavalier (base) coupe about three months ago. So far it's great! Even though I didn't get any options on it, it is fully loaded. Plus, with the $2500 in rebates, not counting my trade in, I got in for around 10K with 5 year warranty. Try to get a Honda or Toyota with standard CD player, air, ABS, for that! I say sorta because my second car was a 1995 Cavalier LS, fully loaded, but unlike my current Cav, it had an auto, which you should NEVER get with a four banger.

Anyway, glad I got it before the 03 came out. Talk about ugly. From the rear it looks like an old Geo Storm. But it does have the new Ecotec 2.2L.

Does anyone know when the redesigned Cav (Delta platform I believe) come out?
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    "which you should NEVER get with a four banger"

One also has to realize that there is a function of the type of driving to consider. If it takes you 90 minutes to go 18 miles (Welcome to Northern Virginia in September....), an automatic is a good idea.

-- from someone who drove a 1992 Cav stick for ten years and has a 97 LS auto.
    and the Cavalier automatic transmission is one of the smoothest, time-proven automatics of all time (despite all the Cavalier bashing going on around here).
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I know what you mean about traffic. I work in Lanham, MD (right off 495 and 50) and know about some traffic! I would go nuts dealing with traffic if I had a stick shift. As a matter of fact, I was stuck in a heck of a jam coming home from work on Thursday. It took me 45 mins. to go 6 MILES! If I had a stick then, I would have been on the side of the road, or else had a heck of a leg cramp. :)

I know they are supposedly more fun to drive (don't know how to drive one, so I don't know for sure), but I prefer convenience to power in traffic.
  • danz28danz28 Member Posts: 19
    My 1995 Cav had the 3 speed auto and boy was it slow. My 2002 has the 5 speed manual, far peppier, even though it has 5 less HP. I go about 28 miles to work here in TX in about 45 minutes to an hour. The manual has the advantage in acceleration, which is why I will always get one if I get four bangers. But you are right, being stuck in traffic makes the auto seem better.
    I think it depends on the engine. My 02 auto with the 140 hp engine goes very well with the automatic. In a drag race yes the stick will most likely win (all being equal) but if plugging along in slow traffic and I see an opening I just gun it and away I go. No wait while I have to downshift pop the clutch and then go.
    The 4 speed in our 99 was real smooth, GM does auto better than just about anyone.
  • rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    I have an '02 Cav w/ the 4spd auto., and it shifts extremely smooth, and the 2.2 engine is suprisingly quite peppy and responsive.
    The 4sp auto is a winner,its the differential gear ratio is why the 3sp is a dog.3.18 3sp 3.63 4sp.
  • albuterolalbuterol Member Posts: 21
    1989 2.0L automatic Cavalier doing well at 243,000 miles. Engine is a bit noisy and shakes the whole car at idle but otherwise has lots of power and A/C works just fine (was retrofitted to R134a). Only other problems seem to be rust from salty winters and oil leaks. Tranny had her first fluid change last year.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    didn't realize how crude it was until I purchased an 01 Elantra. I'm sure the comparison with any other modern car would have been similar. Even though I don't like automatics, I would agree that the 4 speed automatic is the best part of the Cavalier. That plus the standard ABS/traction control is about the only part of the Cav. that remains enjoyable.
    didn't purchase the Elantra you wouldn't know the difference,I not going to make that mistake.
  • lliang88lliang88 Member Posts: 3
    I test drived a 2002 Cavalier. It is a very good entry level car. I almost bought one. However, the dealer raised the price for the car near the end of the manufactory rebate. Might because too many people rushed in. If you are not in a hurry, don't buy it if you can not get at least invoice price - $3000. So many 2002 cars are sold this year. What do you think is going to happen to 2003 cars?
    Does anyone know of any Auto Plant Tours available to individuals or couples (not groups) in Michigan-Ohio-Kentucky-Tennessee-Illinois (or slightly beyond) area? I've already toured the Toyota Plant at Georgetown, Ky. And, if you know, who do I contact to make the tour? Does the Cavalier plant in Lordstown, OH give tours?

Also, any rave Auto Museums you can recommend in that same area? I've already been to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg and Ray Miller museums in Indiana, and the Gilmore in Michigan (and those are all great I might add).
    Lansing Car Assembly gives tours at the Body Plant on Verlindon Ave. in Lansing, Mi. The final Assembly plant accross town does too, I believe. They both make the Grand Am, Malibu, and the Alero. Body plant builds the body, paints it, all glass, some trim and ships it to the final Assembly plant for seats, dash and drive train. Very interesting with over 200 robots in their body shop.
  • alantpoolalantpool Member Posts: 12
    I took my wife's 2000 Cav to the dealer to have the rough start problem looked at and checked for the TSB involving the fuel module screen being too fine. This morning it had a rough start infront of the service manager (I left it at the dealer last night) and he told me it was due to the sequential fuel injector system and it is normal for it to crank for a long time (relatively speaking to all the other cars I have ever been in) and that they have had similar complaints, but it is normal.

If those of you that have experienced this would please reply, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if there are any repairs that could prevent this, they would also be appreciated.

thanks,
    al
    I had a 1996 Cavalier with the 2.2 engine, and it never took more than 1 try to start the car in the summertime. I never owned it in winter (got rid of it in 3 months), so I don't know about that.
    I suppose it could be right but I find it highly unlikely. How many people would go to a dealer and buy a car that had to be cranked and cranked to get it started. Reminds me of the old days of chokes when they got out of wack. Something isn't right in Mudville.
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Don't know if this will help, but a bad fuel pump would/might cause that condition. TSB from alldata:

00-06-04-044 OCT 00 Fuel Pump Module - Engine Hesitation, Stalls/No Start

SFI would seem to refer to a 2.4L engine. 2.2 is listed as an MFI. So, if you have a 2.2, the explanation would be even more suspect.
    I have one since new,26000 miles now and it starts right up,you have a problem.Any engine should start right MFI SFI or what ever,you need to go to another dealer,your is suspect.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Sat in a 2003 Cavalier and the seats felt way better than my friend's 99, or any rental I have driven.

Also, the steering wheel and some interior pieces felt better. But, the rear end looks funny with the fenders sticking out past the trunk lid.

But, I would wait for a 2004 Malibu or 2005? Cavalier.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    The 95-02 cars were rude and crude, but I felt they were among the prettiest in Chevy's stable. This thing's been taking beauty hints from a Monte Carlo and that's not good. Lutz should have saved his money and brought out the replacement six months early.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    My Mom is considering buying her friend's off-lease 2000 Cavalier. 2.2l, auto, air, cruise, keyless entry, about 54,000km (33,750 miles), well cared for (except the paint which has some scrapes and nasty bird-dropping marks). The price is just under CDN$9,500.

Seems like a reasonable deal. Any comments (either on the price or on the car in general)?

Thanks!
    Brad
    bh0001 : Sounds fair, nothing special about the price. My mother in-law has a 2000 Cav and she has had about 90K of trouble free driving.

csandste : The 03 isn't ugly, but it's not as good looking as the 02. Ah well, the replacement is about a year and a half away and the ION looks pretty good if you want a GM small car this fall.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Thanks for the input. I figured there was nothing special about the price but I wanted to verify that it wasn't unreasonable.

Brad
  • skclarkskclark Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 1999 cav. it has 41000 miles. the driver side rear door and quarter panel color look slightly diff than the rest of the car and the trunk lid is slightly wonky. carfax shows no accidents reported etc. the rear seat is pretty stained. the used car lot is asking 5995.00. i'm being very cheap and only want to spend 5000.00. am i being unreasonable is asking that price? or is the 5995.00 a good price?
    Go to http://www.nadaguides.com and check the price.

Also, http://www.cars.com and click on "research and price", then on "black book prices" on that page.

You are looking at a 4-year old car with pretty good mileage, but an awful interior. This car also was probably in an accident. I think you can do better than $5995, especially since this car is a Cavalier, and they don't hold their value that well either.

I saw an 03 Cavalier sedan on the road last night. It was raining, so I didn't get a great look at it. The back end of it looks like a smaller Impala though, totally not appealing to me at all. I wish they would hurry up with the redesign and stop playing games with the public.
    They aren't playing games, it's just that Lutz didn't like what was being planned and wants to make sure the next Cavalier is done right. I would sooner see it take a year longer than get something half baked next year. This is becoming a very important segment and they can't screw it up.

I think also want to give Saturn a little head start with their new small ION.
    Never thought about the Cavalier waiting for the ION. The ION looks pretty promising. I have a "drive appointment" for the ION on October 7 at 6PM. They sent me a card in the mail about it, read the details on the ION discussion.

I am curious to check out Saturn's new car. I know the S Series is wayyy over the hill, worse than the Cavalier is.
    the rear end is wall to wall red plastic very tacky,I like the front though is has a sporty look,just got back from the dealer.I hope LUTZ had nothing to do with rear end,its a disappointment.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    I just saw what I now suspect is a 2003 Cavalier. I saw it from behind. I was not amused.
    Is not very attractive. They screwed it up there, too bad.

I would go for an ION at this point. They should hit the street in a month or two.
  • indeptindept Member Posts: 12
    Just bought a 97 Cav 2.2, 4 sp auto. The abs light comes on when the key is first turned on, like it should then goes out. no problems indicated. I took it out in the rain yesterday & the ABS system doesn't seem to be working. The car stopped pretty well but I got the front tires to lock up for a just before it stopped. I didn't feel the pulsating I was expecting from antilock brakes. Should the ABS light come on when the system is working then go out when it stopped or is the light just to indicate system problems?
    Is there a common problem that anyone knows about or anything I can check for?
    The ABS light will not come on unless there is a problem,the brakes will lock up when you are almost to a stop,thats normal.
    I have driven 200K with ABS & think its the best thing since popped corn.
  • indeptindept Member Posts: 12
    After thinking about it, it may just have been that I never lost traction to activate the ABS. the car has new tires, & althogh the road was wet & I hit the breaks pretty hard from about 40 mph, the car stopped in a very short distance. basically what I'm getting at is that the cavs brake system is "undersized" for the car from what I've read here & the new tires gripped well enough to keep the undersized brakes from locking up the wheels. Guess I'll have to wait til winter & check them in the snow.

Anyone here know where I can locate detailed info on the ABS system used in the cavaliers. I got a Chiltons on it & it tells how to change the components but not how to check the system. I didn't even see anything in the wiring diagrams showing a schematic of the system. I also bought the Haynes manual which I'm going to return because it's USELESS. SO DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE HAYNES, go for the Chiltons, I found it to be a bit more indepth on most things.
  • happycarhappycar Member Posts: 17
    Using the factory incentives along with the GM Mastercard points makes it a better deal than most other makes. I found that out on gmcard.com. Just keep it for fifty thousand miles right before the wear and tear appears and dump it. By then, the points will have built up again. Might as well,all cars nowadays are made like disposible cigarette lighters.
  • happycarhappycar Member Posts: 17
    I bought my new 2001 Cavalier 14 months ago with seventeen miles. It currently has 12,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. It's hard to believe some of you are having so many problem with a new car. New cars in this day and age have enough quality control to avoid many major mishaps. Just look at the rental companies, they have to choose a reliable car to stay in business. It is only after a car has over fifty thousand miles the wear and tear haunt us all at once.
    My 2000 Cavalier LS 25,000 miles still no problems.Next report at 30,000.