Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• happycarhappycar Member Posts: 17
    Thank You, joe3891, for reporting on your Cavalier with no problems. This confirms American cars do have alot of merits.
  • rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    I've had my '02 Cav since April 1st of this year, and even though I've only put 4300 miles on it (including one LOF change) the car has been PERFECT!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have known alot of people who have had Cavaliers, and everyone has had trouble with them. From having to replace an engine at 50K miles, to a transmission at 100K miles, to blown head gaskets and leaking oil, to bad fuel pumps. The car seems to be a nightmare for everyone whom I have known that has had one, including myself.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Absolutely no problems for the 3 year lease. Not a great car, but perfectly reliable.
    I have known at least 5 different people with Cavaliers. The latest, a co-worker, is at 93K and her engine is messed up again (the one who replaced the motor at 50K). That's just poor quality. And also, the recalls on the ignition and the head gaskets as well.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    We have a Cavalier at my house ( next to my new Trailblazer ) and it has been trouble free. It will be 3 yrs old in January. Count us in as Happy cavalier owners.
    Vocus..we all know you had a bad Cavalier and so has everyone you have known, good, now let those who haven't had an issue post their experiences without having you come back and paste the same information you have pasted on this board everytime someone with a good experience comes by.
    I didn't paste it actually, I retyped it. I am just saying from my experience and others that I know, they have had alot of trouble from their Cavs. I am sure there are some good ones out there though. But more good than bad is never good.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    you really like the Cavalier or you wouldn't keep coming back to this site.
    I don't know one unhappy Cavalier owner. Nobody get's terribly excited about the car, but it's basic transportation that works well at a bargain price. We have had 2 in the past and they were no better worse than the Civic we had.

That said, if I was to buy a new GM compact now, I would likely wait for the ION due out next month. It looks to be excellent and as good as anything out there.
    I do like the Cavalier, it's basic and cheap transportation. But it's not reliable though (in my experience, anyway), one of the major qualities for cheap transportation.

I had always wanted a Cavalier when I started driving, because they were pretty cheap. It wasn't until later that all the little niggling problems starting happening to them.
    You need to be a DIY'ER to own any cheap car,they aren't up to the standards of a Lexus.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I own a 2000 Mazda Protege with 45,000 miles on it, and it's in the same price range as the Cavalier. It has had not one problem -- much more than I can say for my wife's Cavalier that we traded on her 2002 Protege5 back in January. With only 52,000 miles on it (only 7K more than my Protege has on it now), it was on its THIRD head gasket -- which was leaking. We were getting tired of this $600-every-6,000-mile job. It also had had its radio replaced twice and had a horrible rattle under the dash. And then we had to spend $400 on new a/c hoses and compressor because the fan belt had been rubbing on the a/c lines since the car was new and this problem wasn't caught under warranty ... hmmm, even though we complained about our "squeaky" belts under warranty and they never fixed the problem to our satisfaction, they refused to implicate that our complaint was related to that. We also were surprised that once the original head gasket went at 35,000 miles, they would not admit that there was a design-related underlying problem that caused the three additional ones to fail after about 6,000 miles each. The first one was covered by a recall; conveniently (for GM) each additional one was our problem. We got very used to the smell of engine coolant owning this car, and kept as much Prestone on hand as oil in the garage.

You MAY have to be a DIY'er to own a Cavalier -- but not all low-priced cars are in the same league.

Meade
    Mazda sites,have no interest in them.Is Mazda a Ford or is Ford a Mazda?
    since you have such a narrow-minded view of low-priced cars. Maybe if you widen your scope a little you'll find out there are some small cars out there that don't require trips to Autozone every other weekend.

Regarding your cute little comment about Ford and Mazda ... Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda, much as they do in Volvo and Jaguar. It doesn't keep the company from doing its own thing, however. Amount of Ford input depends on model. My Protege was (and current models still are) built in Japan using Mazda parts. Other models are different; the B-series pickup is nearly 100 percent Ford Ranger. The new Mazda6 is all Mazda unless you buy the 6-cylinder version; that has Ford's Duratec V6 in it. And the influence works both ways; the highly popular Ford Escape that's been such a hit for Ford was designed by Mazda and is also sold by Mazda as the Tribute (same price with better warranty, go figure). The Miata is 100-percent Mazda, as will be the new RX-8 next spring.

There. A little primer on Mazda. Maybe you should go check them out. Our Protege and Protege5 are problem-free at 45,000 and 10,000 miles respectively.

Meade
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    It's actually a Ford Mazda Protege.....Same thing, Ford , Mazda , whatever, lol.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's move on please
    Your experience is not everyone elses. Mazda ranks lower than GM in most quality and service categories. You got unlucky with 1 car, big deal.
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Knock on dashwood (okay, plastic ;) ), but we've had two cavs, a 92 and a 97. The 92 went 125K, including Mt Washington, reliable miles over ~10 years. The clutch and the alternator were the only out-of-pocket expenditures besides the normal maintenance items. Problems under warranty included windshield seal, an ABS sensor malfunction and power steering replacement. A couple of recalls were also applicable.

The 97LS has 44K in mostly brutal, short distance northern VA driving (similar for the 92). I just had the 5yr coolant replaced and had the tranny fluid replaced (pseudo 50K hard mileage service). Under warranty, the rotors warped (and seem kind of off again - either based on size or incorrect lug nut torque), the transmission linkage rattled from a misinstallation at the factory and the tranny gasket was defective.

So, in 15 years of Cavalier, they've been good to us. Except for the expired batteries about every 4-5 years, the cars start every day and get us where we need to go.

This is just anecdotal - the sample size is obviously small - your mileage may vary.

The biggest issue for a prospective buyer of a new vehicle is to survey (interview/interrogate/whatver it takes) the service department. There's no question that you will need warranty service at least once, and the Chevy, maybe GM, service departments have been weak for me.

I still have not had the ignition recall done - do I really have to let the dealer touch my otherwise well-maintained vehicle? Ugh.
    The light comes on for ~five seconds post engine start for diags to run, and then it goes out if the system checks OK.

I have never needed wet pavement to activate the system - just enough speed (40 or so) and press the pedal through the firewall, assuming no one is close behind. The pedal does not vibrate hysterically - the vibration is fairly light.

Without looking it up, I think that if the ABS is malfunctioning, the traction system will also be out, and the No ETS light should be on.
  • indeptindept Member Posts: 12
    How many miles on your 97 LS?Thats what I just bought for my daughter. Any other problems with it (ie: head gasket)? Something I found peculiar was that the 4 spd auto trans doesn't have a dipstick, instead it has a level check plug like a standard trans.
    This one has 120000, but is clean inside & out & seems to have been cared for very well. I changed the valve cover gasket & when I had it off, the top of the head was spotless, no sludge or buildup. I got it at a used car dealer & bought a 6 month 7500 mile powertrain warranty for $150. It's with a company called "CARS" & covers everything on the powertrain. Plus I can take it to any shop. They just sent me an offer, in the next 30 days, for another $99.00 I can extend the warranty to 1 year & 15,000 miles & with that it also extends the coverage to seering , suspension, & brakes (major components, not pads or rotors) including all ABS components so I think I might go for it for the peace of mind. Also includes towing & rental car allowance.
    Just over 44K. I also did replace the valve cover gasket around 40K - they tend to leak (seep) on these cars after awhile. As in post 1068, no real, side of the road - lost in the shop for weeks, problems. (knock,knock.....)

Overall, these are very easy to maintain vehicles, and parts are cheap and available when needed. I still think the Achilles heal is the dealer service, but the third party providers like Goodyear and your neighborhood mechanic do know the cars....
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    Here is a pick at the next one:

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    That looks a lot like the next Malibu.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/
    Saw an 03 today for the first time. Back is a little strange on it, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. 05 looks like a very nice car, if it's really going to look like that.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Good Lord, I certainly hope that is not what the 05 Cavalier will look like! Whatever that is, it's really, really ugly!
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Most of those Hollywoodextra pics are fakes or ones seen before.

Just where is that "2003 Mercury" for sale?
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    you do NOT have to be a do-it-yourselfer to own a small car. There are MANY inexpensive cars out there that people own with NO problems CLOSE to the Cav. The problem here is the Cav was designed in the late 1970's and although the body has been updated, the guts are the same. The next Cav will be a BIG improvement.
    the parts man won't agree with you,the difference between the 85 & 92 is lots and the difference between the 92 & the 03 is a whole world away.I can see you never owned one or worked on a 85,92 or 03.More uninformed opinions.The next Cav will be European,that not good.
    that I noticed was (at the same mileage with the same type of exposure to the elements), my '92 had moderate to severe rust on bottom of the doors and on the turned-under part of the rear fender wells, but my '96 has no rust anywhere!
    & on are galvanized thats why,my 94 also rusted.
  • chispaschispas Member Posts: 94
    My '69 Mercury finally gave out...sigh.

Never did I have to do any transmission work...not even a front seal...

What was the reason? I honestly believe that it was the Amsoil synthetic fluid that I always
    used. (This is a superior product!)

So, when I bought my 2002 Cavalier, I went to the parts department and bought a "pan gasket"
    so that I could "start" the Cavalier with a fresh "fill" of Amsoil. (the salesman, in so many words, said I was "crazy".)

All I'm saying, try Amsoil....you might be surprised.

(No, I don't sell anything.)

The salesman that sold me the car said (in so many words) that I was "crazy". He warned me
    that I would void the 36,000 mile warranty. I just grinned.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    to make good on warranty work, peruse last year's Toyota sludging posts.

I'm about to sell my 97 Cav. to someone I know. It's been a reliable but not very exciting car. I really noticed what a competant small car should feel like when I bought my Elantra GLS last year. Before that purchase I was satisfied with the Cav.

The next gen. Cav. (if that is the one) looks a bit clumsy in the C-pillar area. Front end of all new platform Chevys looks quite nice, however. Far better than the 03 car which took a fairly nice styling theme and made it ugly front and back.
  • caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    I went to a site that showed what GM wants the cav to look like in the future and all I can say is UGLY. It almost looks like a mini me caravan. I think the 2003 model is nice but for those of you who think the 2003 is ugly just wait because its coming. I really hope it was one of those what ifs or maybe things.
    that the "future" Cavalier posting you are referring to was a "red herring". No offense to the fishes, but it was uglier than anything that swims or traverses on four wheels!
    Was in for an oil change and saw an 03 Cavalier. Front looks good but the back lights look bad. Too bad because they could have done something positive there. I wish GM had the replacement out sooner, but I guess they want to give the ION a chance to fly first.
    I'm very proud of my 2002 Cavalier. When I've pointed-out to some friends that it has a 16 V
    electrical system, I've been asked,"What's that 'all about'?"

I don't know what to say. Can someone "explain"?

Thanks!
    So what are you getting to replace the Cavalier?
    it was a red herring. The more I look at the 2003 cavaliers the more I like them. The front end kinda looks sharkish. The stance of it is more sporting and from what I have heard that the new 2.2eco is a big improvement over the old 2.2.
    The brochure I have on the 2002 Cavalier does not mention a 16 volt system. For several years the auto manufacturers have been considering going to 24 volt systems so as to use smaller diameter wiring (less weight,cheaper) but I've never heard of a 16 volt alternative. Can anyone give me a confirming reference on this?

And I've always wondered whether 24 volts might be more hazardous to work around than 12 volts?
    About 16 volt systems, the only "other" application (besides Cavalier) that I know about is
    for race cars where the alternator and charging systems have been removed to lessen engine
    drag. A 16 V battery also seems to "soup-up" the ignition systems for the racers.

This is the first time that I've known of a passenger car to be so equipped.

Maybe GM has some race car drivers doing some of their new engineering.....
    The owner's manual for my 2002 Cavalier, in so many words, says "don't touch it unless it
    leaks".

Just like engine oil, transmission fluid breaks down over time, and should be changed.

I highly "disagree" with the owner's manual on this subject.

Anyway, there is an oil pan on the transaxle for changing the fluid. A new gasket is $35.09
    from GM.

I'm sure that GM uses a "high grade" fluid, but, still, it ought to be changed occasionally.

Just my opinion......
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/6337_image.jpg

and this

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/6338_image.jpg

from this report

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5489&sid=176&n=156

not bad for a cavalier.......that yellow 2 door is actually nice. what a change, huh? If they redid the interior and tightened up the chassis this would be ok.....especially with a real motor like the ecotec.

There is talk of a sporty Saturn ION coupe in the spring, so it makes sense that the same 200hp turbo the ION will use might make its way down the GM food chain.
  • tropicalmontetropicalmonte Member Posts: 10
    The term "Red Herring" is not merely a visual description. It is a literary reference for something used to distract or divert attention. Look it up. Anyway the Cavalier HAS enjoyed substantial improvements over the years and in no way resembles the Cav of old. Completely different car. About the dash rattle: I am very surprised that GM has yet to resolve this problem as it is seemingly an inherent problem with the J-car. Seems it was more prevalent in the pre-95 body style. All of these owner testimonies cant be a conspiracy to trash the Cav name and must have some legitemcy. Too many to be coincidence. I have owned several, and a 94VL that I had was a rattle trap. My ragtop 97LS doesn't rattle nearly as much and convertibles tend to be a little noisier by nature. I was also in the auto design business and there was a term used among the designers regarding the J-car and it's rattle plagued dash. It was called the "noisy dash" (vs the "quiet dash"). I rolled into work with it one day and my buddy, a fellow Designer, asked if it had "the quiet dash" or the "noisy dash". Unbeknownst to me, I thought he was joking at first and that maybe he had been in it before. Not the case. In fact he explained that GM was currently trouble shooting and making a serious effort (mid-production)to identify and eliminate the problem. An effort to avoid the cost of a national recall no doubt. You see, if too many people complain about it then it cant be just an isolated incident or just a "bad apple". It might be recognized by JD Powers or some other consumer reporting agency as a design flaw and would substantiate a costly recall. That would have been financially devastating to GM since the Cav is their "low end car" and provides minimal profit, relatively speaking. Keep in mind that GM (as well as other car manufac.)will take great lengths to cut even as little as a dollar from the production cost of a vehicle. A dollar saved x annual production = more profit. They eliminated that little ABS decal on the rear bumper in 94 to save pennies. All in all it's a good car (for the money) but just like anything else mass produced by imperfect humans, occasionally you get a bad one.
    as a "term". I really thought the images put forth as the 2005 Cavalier literally made it look like an ugly fish! To anyone who has appreciated the looks of the Cavalier heretofore, that "thing" must look abominable.
    http://www.auto.com/industry/iwira15_20021115.htm

Just learn the old adage:

"Three wrongs may not make a right, but three rights make a left."

You may want to take that literally!

I thought for a second you were talking about new jersey.
  • zoeydsngwrtrzoeydsngwrtr Member Posts: 1
    I am a 21 year old female who knows next to nothing about cars, I have the 2000 Cavalier, my first one was the 1992 model, and I almost traded for the new '03.
    As for the red herring comments, all red cavaliers are extremely ugly, wrong color for a cheap sedan. Otherwise, I like the new look, much better than the ones around 96/97
    I do have a warning, a couple of months ago, I took the cav for a 2000 mile drive in two days, at about mile 1700 I pulled into a rest stop, the car was running great when I turned it off, but it would not turn on five minutes later, it would not even turn over. Luckily it started with no problem four hours later, when my ride arrived (I had been trying it every 15 min and it still wouldn't work). The mechanic said some part just got too hot, so if this happens to you, don't freak, just give it a few hours before you toe it.
    A few hours before picking the car up off the highway where is stranded you? That makes no sense to me. Did the car make any weird noises when you tried to start it and it wouldn't? This sounds peculiar to me...
    > Luckily it started with no problem four hours later, when my ride arrived (I had been trying it every 15 min and it still wouldn't work). The mechanic said some part just got too hot, so if this happens to you, don't freak, just give it a few hours before you toe it.<
    You have a problem,if not repaired it will fail on you again.Most likely ignition module.