Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    We had a leased 99 Cavalier for 3 years and it never gave us any trouble over the 50K we put on it. Not a great car, but cheap and reliable for those on a budget. The 03 has a MUCH better engine but if I was buying a small GM car right now I would get a Saturn ION.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Wasn't there just a recall released about the module not long ago? I thought I read something about it...
  • Options
    joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    ignition switch they catch on fire.
  • Options
    cc732cc732 Member Posts: 6
    I work at the Windsor transmission plant that builds the 4T40/45E...the 4 speed automatic in the Cavalier, Sunfire, Grand Am, Alero and Saturn L. It definitely is not necessary to change the Dextron II. There is no dipstick to check the fluid level and over filling will cause frothing and spills. Thank you for buying our product.
  • Options
    hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    I drive a 97LS in short, stop and go N. VA traffic. Combined with the wide diversity of yearly operating temperatures and humidity, this counts as severe usage. I had the transmission fluid replaced at 5yrs and 44K miles. The transmission shifts better and the gas mileage has improved by 10-20%.

ymmv. I'm not saying it is required.
  • Options
    kenxkenx Member Posts: 8
    I bought my '94 Cavalier RS new. It never squeaked, rattled, or broke down. It was a nearly flawless car for 8 years. V6 power, decent handling, and excellent build quality. As the last year for the first generation Cavs, I figured they must have gotten it right, finally.

Mechanically, I was religious to its maintenance. Regular fluid changes and timely tuneups. Unfortunately, I was bad at keeping the car clean. It would get a good waxing and washing once in the spring, once in the summer, and that would be about it til the next spring. This is NO WAY to treat a car in New England.

The body on the car still looks great. You'd never know that the rear wheel wells have completely RUSTED THROUGH THE TRUNK.

I guess I'm posting this just for common knowledge. Anyone considering a used car should not overlook the Cavalier. It is a good, decent car. Just make sure you look inside the trunk.
  • Options
    Actually, Cavaliers tend to be one used car to avoid, according to many consumer publications. You just really, really lucked out.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    The pre-'95 (old body style) Cavaliers weren't so bad. Chevy had some head gasket problems with the first few years of the new body style starting in 1995.

Meade
  • Options
    Au contraire. There were problems with the 2.2 engine and head gaskets in 1994. The engine is pretty much the same design as the 2.2 since 1991.

The V6, on the other hand, is a pretty good engine. My mom had a 1990 Pontiac 6000 with that engine, and it never died on her in 89K miles.
  • Options
    rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    I had a '93 Sunbird (same car as Cav) w/ V6. The car was OK up to 144K miles. At that time, the crankshaft decided to loosen up to such a degree that motor oil was pouring out of the drain plug and it's condition was also causing a loss of trans fluid. I didn't want to buy a "reman"-too costly.

My new car, '02 Cav LS with all the options is doing quite well with 5800 miles. Only problem, so far, slight water leak in the spare tire area; dealer replaced rubber gasket around the trunk. Ok since repair. Will keep you posted.

My decision to buy a Cav was based on a number of factors:
    1)I have 58k miles on my '99 Civic hatch and I want to rest it occasionally; 2) Chevy was offering a 3K rebate; 3) I had a $1400 GM card rebate and dealer gave me 675.oo off sticker.

I was hopeful that GM could 'finally' produce a decent small car-they have produced it long enough to 'work out the bugs'.
  • Options
    Glad you are having good luck thus far with your new Cav. I had a 96 and really liked it. The dash started to rattle around 35K miles (I bought it used in 99 with 31K on it). The car would stall unexpectedly, and almost got me into several accidents. Also, the brakes were very troublesome. I finally decided to get rid of it. I still liked it, but the problems were getting to me, and the warranty had run out on it as well.

I know the 03 Cav has the Ecotec engine, which is a very good engine in the Saturn L Series (I drove one, and it's a nice engine). So hopefully this will be enough to hold buyers at bay until the new Cav debuts for 2004/05.
  • Options
    cc732cc732 Member Posts: 6
    I'm glad nearly $2000 in rebates could convince you to try a Cavalier again..I bought an '86 Cav coupe new and it was a leaker both the engine and trans...My '90 coupe (used) was bad for electrical and cooling. My '99 coupe (rental resale) is just impeccable for reliability and performance and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The new body style and engine is nice but I'll keep the old bird as she is.
  • Options
    rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    cc732, nearly $5,oo off list price.
  • Options
    moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    IS there a hidden warranty regarding the blower motor resistor

My sister had hers go in a 2001 sunfire and now my nieces boy friends 97'cav. Only has two upper speeds. I had heard a friend say he knew of two others that had it pop.

It is one of the newer "electronic ones and not the old coil type.

Has any had this problem repaired out of warranty.

Thanks
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I found no Technical Service Bulletins listed for 1997 Cavalier "blower motor ballast resistor" at

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

• Options
    jdmortonjdmorton Member Posts: 24
    I attempted a search for this issue at Edmunds, but I came up with a blank. Anyone experience this problem of not being able to wash their windshield because the fluid dispensing system froze? At least I'm assuming it froze.

I purchased a 2002 Cavalier coupe for my daughter, for her senior year college internship. So far no problems. However, today she went back to college after being home for a week (for Thanksgiving break). She called this evening and said that when she tried to clean the windshield (after a truck passed her on the interstate), no fluid would come out. She tried it again when she parked at her apartment; again, no fluid. By the way, she had to wash her windshield earlier during the trip, and it worked fine (which is why I think the system froze due to the weather).

The temperature today in PA was a frosty 25 degrees F, with a wind chill of 14. I had the car in to the Chevy dealer that I purchased it from right before Thanksgiving, for an oil change/lube and tire rotation. All the fluid levels were also topped off (I checked the windshield wiper fluid level myself after getting the car back - it was completely full).

I had a 1984 Cavalier that would sometimes have the nozzles located on the hood of the car freeze so that windshield fluid would not come out, but I thought the newer design of having the fluid pumped to the wiper blades might not cause such freezing problems.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience? I hope that the windshield fluid was "full strength" and not diluted for summer (when I bought the vehicle).
  • Options
    I would get some of the pink washer fluid you see in stores. It's about 2x the price of the blue stuff, but it will not freeze. And it is possible that the washer nozzles froze. I lifted the hood of my car (an 02 Jetta) yesterday to check something, and water ran out of the washer nozzles. Mine are heated, so I suppose if they weren't, mine would be frozen as well.
  • Options
    I have found out that if drive in rain then have a freeze,they at times will freeze up.
    I take a pin and clean them out,i keep one in the glove box.
  • Options
    I never thought about the washers freezing up. They have always worked in any car that I have had. Maybe the Cav's freeze up easier because of their location (on the wiper arm itself). With snow/ice/rain freezing to the wipers, they probably freeze right along with that.
  • Options
    pauljon1957pauljon1957 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2002 cavalier with 9000 miles. No problems yet. What can I expect, in the way of problems? I mainly concerned about tranny and engine issues. I've been told that the 2.2L shells out head gaskets at about 60,000. Just looking for a "heads up" Thanks. Paul
  • Options
    See post 1101. My $.02.
  • Options
    caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    I hear it both ways. Some love the 2.2litre for its simple design, others curse it. From what everyone is saying the new 2.2 eco engine is better. For a car that many hate I see alot of them on the roads. About the head gaskets, some failures have been reported. I dont know much about the newer motors and if GM has fixed this.
  • Options
    You see alot of Cavs on the road because of their low prices, and they are also popular in rental fleets.
  • Options
    We had a 3 year lease on a 99 and had no problems. Our friends have a 96 and have had no problems. You might have some engine issues, but don't count on them. The engine is not as unreliable as some would have you believe. The new 2.2L Ecotec is a much better motor though.
  • Options
    I don't know about in Canada, but most of the Cavalier 2.2s here in the states have been recalled for head gasket problems. I had a 96 that didn't have problems but I only had 40K on it when I traded it (it had other problems). Every 2.2 Cavalier from 1992 to 99 has been recalled for head gasket problems. I am sure this will change with the Ecotec engine though.
  • Options
    I read the other day that the engine has aluminum cylinders,thats kind of like a lawn mower engine isn't it.
  • Options
    "Every 2.2 Cavalier from 1992 to 99 has been recalled for head gasket problems."

The alldata site shows no such recall for the 97.

Neither the 92 nor the 97 have had a recall for head gasket. The 92 needed a new manifold gasket, but not a head gasket. Our case occurred just prior to the recall.

As for the Ecotech, we have that in the 02 Grand Am SE1. It's quieter, but underpowered for that vehicle. It will probably be ok in a cav though.
  • Options
    I have seen recalls for head gaskets on 96s. A friend of mine has a 96 that the head gasket, as well as the transmission, took a dump on right at 100K miles.

The 2.4 was a better match the cars the Grand Am's size, I think.
  • Options
    2.4L is a pretty rough engine, the Ecotec is much smoother. I don't think it's under powered in the Alero/Grand Am either. If you compare to the V6 then yes it is, but for normal driving is just fine as is passing power on the highway.

The Ecotec has a bit of a buzz to it when idling, but when driving it's pretty smooth and quiet and you can't hear that idle buzz inside the car anyway.
  • Options
    There is no evidence to support your head gasket recall assertion, even on the 96.
  • Options
    pauljon1957pauljon1957 Member Posts: 16
    Is the ecotec the standard 2.2L in the 2002's. I have the base 4 door model cavalier. Is it safe to say the head gasket problems have decreased in the 2000 and newer cav's? Or, is it too early to tell?
  • Options
    You're right, it's not a recall. It's a "secret warranty", meaning they won't even fess up to it. Follow the link, and scroll about halfway down the page.

http://www.lemonaidcars.com/secret_warranties.htm

• Options
    Ecotec is standard in 03. It was optional in 02.
  • Options
    I'd forgotten about those, but that's only 95-6. ;) Good to know; glad we had the discussion.

Our 5.5 year-old 97 hasn't exhibited that problem, or much of any, in its 45K miles.
  • Options
    One thing the 97 does do is rattle. The rear end rattles, more brutally so in this cold weather. Speed is only relevant in that front end road and engine noise dims the sound from coming from the rear.

Should I just have the rear struts replaced? Any suggested repairs would be quite welcome.
  • Options
    Last year, our '95 2.2's third head gasket was leaking and the car only had 53,000 miles on it. Under that "secret warranty," only the original head gasket was covered for 100,000 miles. Gaskets two and three we had to pay to have replaced to the tune of $500 apiece, and each lasted about 10,000 miles. GM won't admit that the problem was with the head being too thin and warping in the heat, causing the gasket to lose its seating and blow. But after two head gaskets and seeing the third start to leak and facing another $500 repair, we decided to trade the car for something more reliable.

(Don't jump all over me Dindak; I don't think Hoya's been around long enough to read my posts about our troubles a year ago. Just stating the facts and leaving it at that.)

Meade
  • Options
    You had a lemon, get over it.
  • Options
    I probably did read them about a year ago.

You actually went 12K miles between each head gasket? The dealer should have covered the subsequent gaskets within 1 yr or 12K miles?

What really confuses me is that the 92 2.2 and the 97 2.2 are quite similar to the casual inspection. Except for the coolant, I wonder what they changed in the 95-96 model years?
  • Options
    I asked you not to jump all over me. The guy was asking for reports on problems and I shared mine. So I got a lemon, OK ...

Hoya, look out for lemons!

Meade

P.S. Hoya -- Each head gasket was covered for 12 months/12,000 miles, whichever came FIRST. My wife was only putting about 9,000 miles a year on her car, so we always lost because the 12 months because the time limitation was up before we'd gone the mileage.

P.S. Dindak -- I am "over it," thank you. Our Protege5 has been 13,000 completely trouble-free miles -- more than I can say for the Cav, which by 13,000 miles had lost one radio and its headlight switch. But I guess that's just more lemons. ;-)
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your tribulations. In your shoes, I'd feel the same way. Cars, no matter what manufacturer are like a box of chocolates, to borrow a phrase. No doubt that lemon-filled is better in a donut ;)

Anyway, I think you hit on it; the real problem with any GM product is the dealer service. There are 3 within 15 miles of my home, and they are all worthless in the service capacity.
  • Options
    I should hope the Nissan is better, it's a much newer design.

Your experience is not everyone elses. You had a lemon.
  • Options
    I heard you the first 50 times. Give it up; I was trying to answer the guy's question. He asked for personal experiences, and I can't help it if you can't stand for a negative experience to be posted when someone asks. Now calm down; I'm responding to him, not you. We all know how you feel.

And I guess I had the only lemon; that's why Chevrolet extended the head gasket warranty to 100,000 miles on all of the several hundred thousand cars they made those two years?

P.S. The Protege5 is a Mazda, not a Nissan.

Meade
  • Options
    Have to agree with you about Chevy service. When I had a problem with my Cavalier cutting off at sporatic times, the dealer service manager told me to "drive the car and enjoy it". And even if they need to keep your car overnight, they don't give you alternate transportation, despite their policy.
  • Options
    I have struggled to put 9k/yr on the 97, which has just passed over 45K in 5.5 years. Thanks for the info on how that transpired.
  • Options
    Just replying, with personal, factual information concerning our experiences with our one Cavalier, to your request.

I thought that was the spirit of this forum -- although some would like to have anything negative snuffed.

Good luck with your car!

Meade
  • Options
    spongenickspongenick Member Posts: 9
    I HAVE A '96 CAVALIER W/ A LEAKING HEAD GASKET - STRANGE THING IS ... IT SEALED ITSELF 2 YEARS AGO. i JUST HIT 200,000 ON THE ODOMETER. THE ENTIRE ENGINE IS ORIGINAL. THE ONLY PART I'VE EVER REPLACED IS THE ALTERNATOR @ 110,000 MILES.
  • Options
    caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    Is the 200k on a 2.2litre or 2.4?
  • Options
    2.2 - I make 3-4 round trips between Chicago and Milwaukee each week. About 2 years ago I saw a little coolant on the driveway. Had to refill every month or so. There's still a real mess on the front side of engine where it was leaking. It's a mixture of road grime, oil, and coolant yet nothing happened. I really had no reason to take it to the dealer. When I had the coolant flushed for the first time @ 170k the dealer told me that it was leaking (duh) but seemed to have sealed up. I am looking for a new car - this luck can't last forever.
  • Options
    Man, that coolant was probably the consistency of maple syrup by 170K! On most cars it's recommended to have the coolant flushed at 30K; 60K at the absolute latest.

Meade
  • Options
    REMEMBER THAT I'M ADDING IT ALONG THE WAY ... OBVIOUSLY I BABY THE CAR BUT I KNOW IT'S A FREAK THING. STILL IDLES LIKE A KITTEN THOUGH...
    I DON'T CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3000 EITHER - MAYBE 6-8K ... EVERY PART IS ORIGINAL SAVE FOR THE ALTERNATOR, FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS AND THE COMPUTER CHIP AND THAT ONLY WENT OUT @ 180K. GET THIS ..THE DEALER REPLACED IT FOR FREE AND INSTALLED NEW RUBBER BOOT. COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!! FREE!!! (SOME OLD RECALL)
    THIS ULTIMATELY PROVES THAT MOST ANY CAR AND ANY DEALER CAN BE EITHER JUNK OR HEROES.