Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• Thanks for the comment. When I took it to the dealership to get the tires rotated, they mentioned that it may be the gas cap. Actually, though, something did have to be replaced, but when I asked the service guy what it was, he said he did not know what they had done to it.
    Since then, the light has not come on and I now have over 7,000 miles. I am still very satisfied with the car. :D
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 545
    The service paper work from the dealer should definitely describe what they did to the car. You should have that for future reference.
  • krismkrism Posts: 11
    Do you have the electronic instrument cluster? I mean is the odometer LCD or the old rotating wheel type? If its LCD then it shouldn't have to be shipped anywhere. The milage of the vehicle is stored in the cars computer not the cluster. The LCD simpy displays the milage, nothing more. The cluster just has to be replaced. No matter if the replacement cluster is from a wreck with 100k miles or a new unit, it will display your vehicles actual milage. You could probably get a new cluster from a salvage yard for less then $50. Any cluster 99 and up will work, even out of a sunfire provided its electronic.

If you have the old style mechanical odometer then yes you have to do all they say its needed as the cluster itself keeps the cars milage and states require the milage be recorded on the replacement unit.
  • gmoudygmoudy Posts: 67
    HOST - please correct me if I am wrong!!

The instrument cluster in the 1999 Cavalier LS was a mechanical odometer and speedometer. I do not remember any digital dashes in the third generation Cavalier.
    The 1980's Cavaliers could have one if you ordered it as an option for the Cavalier RS. It was standard on the Z24. I say this because when I owned a 1986 Cavalier RS, it had the full digital dash.
    I do agree with krism that you will have to return it for repair since it is a mechanical odometer. The laws the law about milage being recorded correctly on the car.
    Youre right, they dont have digital clusters. Although either in 99 or 00 they did go from mechanical to digital display odometer. Im assuming the poster has a digital one since even with a backlight out he still would be able to read the milage.
    This could really be anywhere. Aftermarket alarms are normally mounted under the steering column somewhere with plastic straps. They ahave a bunch of wires going from them up the steering column and are spliced into the oem wires going up the column.
    They way to tell those wires is to take the column cover of to acces the wiring. What you are likely to see is a wire going up the steering column with another wire going right to it in the middle, with it all being covered with electrical tape. Taking the tape off will reveal the original wire with about 1 inch section of insulation missing and the alarm wire would be woundup around it. This is just for information. DON'T go ripping into it since airbag wires are also in there. Have a qualified technician do this. Airbags are expensive to replace and can cause some serious injury if they go off while working in their vicinity.
    An experienced tech will spot/distinguish between cars original wiring and alarm wires very quickly.

Does the electical power go out or dim when the car jerks like that? If thats the case then its probably a bad engine/tanny ground strap. Will the engine stall/sputter when the transmission is not in gear or does it only do it if its in gear?
    Does it do it when engine is cold or after warmup?
  • Can I replace a 1995 cavalier wiper motor with any other type of GM product wiper motor such as a 95 chevy corsica
    :cry:
  • My odometer is a digital display and the speedometer is mechanical.

I really wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. I saw a recall for backlighting, but I'm not sure if this is that issue or if it is the LCD display or are they the same. :confuse:
  • buck6buck6 Posts: 1
    Hi my cavalier wont start it will turn over but wont start.. All the lights such as the ABS, water, brake, seat belt lights are on, after i tried to start the car and it wouldnt start the THEFT LIGHT came on. Can anyone help me out here.....
    THANKS
  • Hi All,

Is anyone aware of any issues with CD-Rs and the standard CD player that comes with the 2005 Cavalier Coupe VL. I just picked mine up last Friday (thoroughly enjoyed driving it over my old beat up 1988 Hyundai). I have tried various brands of CD-Rs and none of them work. I'm thinking the CD player is defective.... Any comments?
    I have a 2005 Cavalier with the "Up Level" factory radio. I believe the CD player would be the same as yours. I have had no problems playing any of my commercial CDs or the CD-Rs I have created myself from ripped sources. Do you see any read-out at all on the dial after you insert a CD?

I assume you know that CD-RWs will not play on the "Base Level" or "Up Level" radios, only on the over-priced MP3 version of this radio.
  • I have a 2004 Cavalier LS with the CD Player and AM/FM Radio. (It's not the MP3 CD Player Upgrade though.) I have played various CD-R's and they have all worked fine.
  • kmagkmag Posts: 98
    they played fine on my wife's 2001 Cavalier that we traded this winter. Try burning a disc at a lower rate, like 8X or 12X.
  • billiewbilliew Posts: 2
    Sorry, but the forum won't allow me to post a new topic for some reason. Could someone please help me. I bought a used 2004 chevy cavalier. It has no manual. Where is the dipstick for the transmission fluid? I can't find it. Please send me an e-mail at billienv@yahoo.com if you can help me. Thanks so much!
    Have a great day!!
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    It has no dip stick, it has a check plug, you need to have the car lifted, level and running to check.
    >> Where is the dipstick for the transmission fluid?<< :)
  • billiewbilliew Posts: 2
    thank you! ;)
    It's great to see all this give and take on what was for so long a dormant discussion. I hope this level of activity can continue.

There is a lot of value in sharing our views, experiences and knowledge regarding the much-maligned (seldom deserved), but long-lived Cavalier.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Speak for thyself!!!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Um, that's exactly what he was doing, speaking for himself, just as you spoke for yourself the other day. There are Cavaliers that don't have problems - you had a bad one, yes. Other bad ones exist/ed, yes. But it's not across the board, of course.

Why don't you go outside to play in your Mazda discussions now. :)
  • I know that my local dealership has 3 remaining Cavalier's and are not receiving any more with the replacement of the Cobalt. Out of curiosity, though, has GM quit producing the Cavalier yet? I know they are soon if they already haven't.

PS-I have a 2004 Cavalier LS that I am completely enjoying.