Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• kerrytkerryt Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2000 cavalier 16 months ago and have nothing but problems with it. I had my transmission repaired at 1500 miles, since then I have had 2 new transmissions and a new computer, new radiator, torque converter and my steering assembly replaced. My steering locked up on me while I was exiting the interstate and almost caused me to wreck the car with my 2 small children in the car. GM refused to give me a rental car since it was on a Saturday afternoon when this occured. Lucky the dealership where I took the car gave me one off their show room floor for the weekend. It took the dealership 15 days to get my car back to me, since I had complained to be GM Customer service. They required several tests to be done before they would authorize the repairs. I am still having transmission problems and they can't seem to find anything wrong with it. The last time I took it into a dealership they told me the motor mounts were broken and this was causing the tarns to slip, GM would not pay for my rental until the dealership actually started working on the car the dealership said it would be 3-5 days before they would have the new parts and could start the work. I had GM pay to tow the car to another dealership where they found the motor mounts to be fine. My transmission slips when I put it reverse, it's like it is not engaging into gear then when it does you feel like you are getting hit from the front you slam into gear. I had planned on giving this car to my 16 year old daughter when she got her license... not now. I just had the a/I repaired. This car has been a real pain to me. I have 32000 miles on it and have finally gotten the dealer to buy it back from me, only after I hired an attorney to get it declared a LEMON. I tried to go through the dealership and GM Customer service, all they would do is offer me an extended warranty at not cost, I had already purchased one when I leased the vehicle. For anyone out there interested in purchasing a cavalier be real careful!!! I had heard nothing but good things about the car and went with it for this reason. I am looking to purchase a sport utility now and I am staying away from all GM products. Their customer service department is not what they claim to be. The Customer Service actually suggested that I read my owners manuel to see that it states in there that these cars are known for the transmission slipping, I asked for a page # and they couldn't give one to me... my husband, daughter and I have read this book from page to page and not found anything yet. I hope everyone out there who own one has better luck then I have had.
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    I can almost guarantee there is NO owner's manual ANYWHERE from ANY company that says anything REMOTELY like what they told you.
    You're well out of it if you leased it and thankfully got rid of it through buy back. I'm curious though; was it built in Mexico?? I have read comments where there is a difference in quality between there and Lordstown.
    I have had the opposite experience with mine. It's unfortunate that yours was so bad. Those dealers should lose their franchise for that kind of treatment, it's uncalled for.Sounds like they were just replacing things through guess work. Good grief, they've had since fall of 94 to learn what makes it screw up. If the dealer doesn't know by now, they shouldn't be selling cars. They're not that complex!
  • 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    kerryt, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I can only speak well about my 1999 Cavalier. It has the 2.2L engine and the 4sp.auto transmission. I have not had a moments trouble so far. It would be interesting to know where yours was manufactered. Mine was made at Lordstown. Please let us know.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    That is a bummer. Our family has had 2 Cavaliers (91 and 99) and both have been nearly flawless. No, not the best cars in the world but reliable just the same. We mainly buy them cause they are cheap transportation. The replacement for our 99 will likely not be another simply because we need something bigger but ya never know.
  • mepumpkinmepumpkin Member Posts: 3
    so i still haven't really gotten my car fixed. and other problems seem to be becoming more important. i had a slight slidding on a wet and muddy road and subsequently hitting something, resulting in my car needing a new tire and wheel. then, still experiencing problems, a resurfacing of the new brake rotor, a new drum and a new tie rod. but i'm still having probs. namly, when i make a gentle left going more than 35mph, i experience a shaking/rubbing in the front right (which is the side that i hit). i got an alignment done hoping it would help (plus having gotten a new tire), but did nothing, and actually things got worse. i now shake when i do 60 to 65 (but not 70). any ideas on what they shaking/rubbing could be? it really worries me b/c of how much i can feel it and the fact that i'll actually be commuting to work soon.
    also, anyone know a good source that i can learn more about my car, how it works, etc. my owners manual is not really what i want to know and the articles i've read one edmunds are too general. thanks!
    ugh
    There's a great site for Cavaliers on Yahoo [www.yahoo.com]. It's called Canuk's Cavalier Club. It's one of five or six on Yahoo, but probably the biggest.People respond quickly on it and are well informed. They more than likely would be pleased to have you on board and more than willing to answer your questions. Dave
    Was reading at autonews.com that GM is pushing to have a new design for 2003. Lets hope it's true as Cavalier badly needs a re-design. Apparently it will be majority designed by GM Europe.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    The new Cavalier will share a lot of its design with the Opel Astra I believe. If they go that way it would be really nice since the Opel and Vauxhall small cars are really nice in design and it would appeal to younger people which would bring more people to Chevy Showrooms.
  • trifivenomadtrifivenomad Member Posts: 19
    The Chevrolet website shows a new Z24 sedan coming out this summer, but when you click on the "more information" section, all you get is some cheesy ad.

Does anyone know if and when the Z24 sedan will come out and any details?

Chevy should have built a Z24 4-door long ago.

Cheers,

Tom
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    If GM is smart they will simply sell the Astra here badged as a Chevy Cavalier. Or Chevy Astra, as it is sold JUST LIKE THAT in Mexico, six hours away from me...
  • joerelljoerell Member Posts: 2
    I brought a used white 2dr 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier, with 48,395 miles on it on June 6, 2001 and it wasn't until June 22, 2001 I heard a scratchy squiling noise only when I turn my steering wheel left, or move it slightly to the left. I really dont know whats wrong or what is it. can anyone give me advice or comments about the noise on what it is. Thank You
  • tony22rtony22r Member Posts: 45
    Stay AWAY from General Motors; they make Garbage that breaks down on you, then they treat YOU like Trash!

* 2K - center console broke. dealer said *I* broke it and refused to fix it! after i Yelled at them for half an hour, they said to leave the car at the dealer for a Week so the parts could be special-ordered! I told the dealer to screw themselves, i got parts from a salvage yard and fixed it myself.

* 10K - Wiring Short, kept blowing fuses. Dealer could not find problem, said i was probably playing the radio too loud! Took me half a day with a multimeter, finally found a Wire was Pinched between 2 body panels causing a Short! was like this since Brand NEW from Factory! I re-routed wiring away from body panels and fixed exposed wires.

* 15K - LOTS of rattles, vibration, trim & weatherstripping falling off, dashboard pieces popping loose, controls & buttons breaking and falling off. Tranny fluid pan and engine oil pan began to leak fluid all over my garage floor.

* 20K - had to replace Alternator AND Starter.

* 23K - "Check Engine Soon" light came on intermittently. Engine began to hesitate/chug/lose power at certain temperatures and altitudes. Dealership could not duplicate problem and said there was "nothing" to fix!

* 30K - plastic radiator drain cock broke, dumped radiator fluid all over my garage. Dealership refused to fix, saying it was a "normal maintenance" item. I replaced with a brass drain cock from Pep Boys. p.s. i got to know the people at Pep Boys Very Well! they told me they have Lots of AC-Delco parts in stock because they Break all the time! I found out AC-Delco stands for "Always Crappy - Don't Expect Long Component Operation".

* 37K - Head Gasket blew! Dealership refused to fix since I was 1K over warranty miles and was S.O.L.! Took me 1.5 days and i put in new FelPro gaskets myself.

* 67K - my Cavalier is now sitting on jackstands in my backyard. Broken down! Too many things needing to be fixed: charging system, gasket leaks, computer, transmission, windows fell off the track, runs for 10 minutes then stalls, won't start sometimes, "Check Engine Soon" light is ON Constantly along with ABS/Seatbelt/Brake warning lights, burns white smoke/blue smoke, uses a quart of oil every week.

I bought this car new, am the original owner, and maintained it well; changed oil every 3K, rotated tires every 10K, flushed coolant every 2 summers, etc. but in the end this Chevy OWNED ME! I have Wasted TOO much time, money, and effort trying to keep this Pig running!

If you want a Reliable vehicle STAY AWAY from General Motors vehicles! They use cheap/defective parts, won't honor their own warranties, have shoddy workmanship and total disregard for quality control, and rude dealerships who are happy to "Sell" you their garbage but when something goes wrong they Don't Know You!

If you're just renting or leasing for a few years then it doesn't matter... get whatever you fancy... in a few years, lease is over, it'll be someone else's problem and not yours.

But if you want something Reliable for you and your family, that won't Waste your time and money with constant repairs and parts, then do yourself (and the environment) a favor.
    Get yourself a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. The junkyards are already Overpopulated with too many broken down Chevys, Fords, and Dodges.
    I used to believe that american automakers have come a long way and I used to believe in "buying american", but time and again i have been disappointed by the very low quality junk that they build, along with all the recalls, and horrible customer service.
    It's a shame i can no longer trust my hard-earned money with any vehicles made by the "Big 3".
    Wow... that's quite a rant. Of course that is your experience, not the average experience. Their are always lemons and if what you say is true, you got one. Most people including our family have been generally pleased with Cavaliers. We currently have a 99 and it's been flawless.

Having a bad experience and writing off all American cars is not fair. It's too bad you had that experience though.
    What year and model is it and where was it made? I've had no trouble with my 99 2.2L 4sp. automatic at all. It would be nice if people who had problems with their cars gave us those details so that we could see if there is a pattern to these complaints. Somebody else earlier on also complained about their Cavalier without giving any details as to what model it was even though I asked them to let us know.
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    RUN! DO NOT WALK TO YOUR LAWYER AND SE IF YOUR STATE HAS A LEMON LAW ON THE BOOKS. YOU SOUND LIKE A PRIME CANDIDATE TO ME BUT THEN IM NOT A LAWYER. iF YOU HAVE ALL YOUR MAINTTENANCE PAPERWORK AND PARTS PAPERWORK YOU SHOULD HAVE A GOOD CHANCE AT AT LEAST GETTING SOMTHING OUT OF GM. GOOD LUCK!
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I recommend Prozac.
    99 2.2 4speed auto,just turned 20,000 miles.
    There IS a question I have though and my friend Bob has been renting a car every 2 weeks to transport his Dad around. He's had three or four "J"s as rentals the last one REAL bad, pieces falling off etc.I asked him if it was built in Mexico or Lordstown Ohio.
    He said he's check the next time he rented.
    I went to the dealer where I bought mine,most of them had where they were produced on a little piece of paper that is stuck inside the rear window with "Total US content" and final assembly plant "Lordstown Ohio". There's even that Union sticker.
    On the really inexpensive ones the paper that told where final assembly was done was hidden behind the smog sticker that tells you where the car rates between 0.0 and 3.0 particulates per million etc.
    I have heard a rumor that the ones from Mexico are not as well built. I know that VW is having trouble on that score as well with the New Beetle.
    At any rate, I'd have gone to a different IMMEDIATELY had I been accused to abusing the car and causing it to screw up.
    Joe3891 and 7937: have you heard of Cavaliers built south of the border being less well built than the N. American ones?
    I have heard that story about cars built south of the border being more troublesome. My Cavalier has a sticker inside the passenger window saying it was built at Lordstown.

The only problem I've had so far was an issue with the wheel lugnuts working loose. I'll write to GM and tell them about it. The cause of that problem was the wheel covers. Three of the 5 lugnuts hold the cover in place.The lugnuts have a collar that rests on the cover. What was happening was that the collar would contact the cover before the tapered end of the nut seated in the taper of the wheel. It's hard to describe but if you look at your wheels and covers you'll see what I mean - that is if they are not snap-on covers. Anyway, I solved the problem by buying a set of new lugnuts and snap-on covers. Just use a good quality torque wrench and tighten to 100ft.lbs as per user manual to avoid brake pulsation and other nasty problems.
    All the j cars in NE come from Lordstown,I didn't know they built them in Mexico until I got on the web.The assy place is in all the VIN codes 11's code 7 is Lordstown.The first code is country,1-USA 2-CAN 3-MEXICO.Just read the VIN.

They changed the wheel cover install in 00,the covers nuts screw on to threaded lug nuts.I owned a 94 and the wheel nuts held the covers on & in 120,000 mi never had a problem,when I read your first post I was puzzled.
    It's possible that the covers I had were not up to spec. The nuts must fit through a hole in the cover and a collar on the nut holds it in place. The extension where the nut fits through is too long and gets squeezed between the nut and the wheel. The fact that the mounting method was changed in 2000 is interesting. My Cav.is 99. Anyway, as I have said, I've solved the problem. Other than that I can't complain about my car.
    Mine was built in Lordstown too. Didn't know they built them in Canada as well.
    I'm a little suspicious about the rant above about the Cavalier problems. Seems the Ford Windstar has indentical "failures".click on the name, you'll see what I mean. It's the same rant about Fords, with very little change.
    I hope everyone doesn't think that because I have suggested that the So. of the border J's have been suspected of being more troublesome that it's anything more than a managerial problem down there and not to do with an entire work force, because I KNOW better.Local suppliers? Mgmt? Lack of oversight by GM and VW? I've seen wildly different experiences with these cars. I actually went to look at an 87 4door at a "skid row" lot. Probably not more than 800.00.I'd do it, but the Valiant has to be finished up first, so adopting another car at this time would not be very wise!
    I see what you mean about the Cavalier rant. I asked him for more details, (model, year, engine etc.) and all is quite so far.
    Don't assemble Cavaliers in Canada. Most Cavaliers in Canada come from Mexico. My Mexican 99 4-door has been great.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    www.autonews.com has a story about GM moving up the date for a Cavalier replacement to spring 2003. FINALLY!!

The car will be based on the Opel Astra and will not be too "Americanized" Knock on wood!
    No! Please NO!I've seen pictures! The 4 door is okay, but the others look like Daewoo built Pontiac LeMans of the late 80's!!I hope they have better luck with them than Cadillac and Saturn have with the Catera and LS. Doesn't bode well for their reputation; they haven't exactly been stellar examples of reliability. I love the Calibra and the others in the line, but the Astra seems too small and dumpy to me.We'll see. Maybe they look better in the cold rolled,eh? In photographs on the Vauxhall/Opel sites they don't look too appealing.I'm only speaking of the styling, now not the mechanicals which are quite modern.Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.Just resent GM taking old Opel designs and feeding it to the public as "new" because they've been spending all their R&D money on SUVs and trucks!!!
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The Opel Astra is 1000 years light ahead of the J-body Cavalier...is a GERMAN car at a Chevy price!!!

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories0702/newcava702.htm

he he he, what makes you think German cars are so great? I've had an Opel Kadet, Opel Ascona and some other German Chev thingy whose name escapes my memory (thank goodness) at the moment. My Cavalier is light years ahead of any of those! Talk about computer problems! They are all just common garden variety run-of-the mill average beaters. Nothing to write home about. I see the German designed Ford Focus is also having its share of problems as well.
    Add: Catera, Saturn LS to the less than stellar "German car at Chevy prices" thing going on at GM.That STILL does not change my opinion of their cars. GM has been trying to palm that Opel "machinery" off on the public for 30 or 35 years in this country and hasn't been able to pull it off and won't with such retrograde designs as the Astra.The mechanical stuff is probably fine, the styling really IS dated and dumpy looking.VW has not had much luck with reliability with the Beetle and the Jetta no longer makes Consumer Reports "recommended" list because of it's drooping reliability rating.Just because it's sourced in Germany does NOT mean it is automatically suitable for sale in the US.It may run fine, but it STILL looks like a rehashed Pontiac LeMans.
    With all due respect, and not to sound snappish,if I wanted a German car I'd go out and buy one.European vehicles are only marginally better [again according to the data in C/R]than Domestic cars;their rates of problems just about on the same scale.And 7937, you are correct again:Opel is to VW what Chevy is to Ford in this country.Sophisticated drive trains and German "engineering" do not necessarily endow a vehicle with sterling reliability or guarantee "quality" [as Saturn LS and Cadillac Catera owners have discovered].
    Well, we'll see, eh? I haven't been shown anything that would get me to jump for new set of payments when the "new" Cavalier comes out.
    I want to tell you; I hope you haven't taken offense at my response to your post, it wasn't meant that way.I REALLY appreciate the heads up that you provided a link for.
    Please don't get me wrong, I'm a real fan of these cars, I won't go into all the reasons right now, and it may seem weird, but a bastardized Opel just doesn't impress me, [though the Calibra is hot...then again it looks like a 2 door Cavalier].
    Say what you will about the out of date chassis etc.the Cavalier STILL looks good.
    Just hoping you don't think I was jumping on your neck;I've been aware that that's where GM is going with it's platform sharing, then checked the Opel/Vauxhall sites and all I could think was "WHY"? My initial post was a little tongue in cheek. Was wondering if anyone else felt as disappointed as I do.
    No offense meant Teo. Dave
    I suspect the Saturn 2.2L will be going into these cars which will be a big improvement on the current 2.2L. Better mileage and smoother. The Saturn LS is a very nice car now and I hope Chevrolet can do something similar for the Cavalier.
    I agree with you ,I'v worked on German vehicles and not impressed,electrical a nightmare.I may just have to hang on to my 2000 Cavalier LS,I won't go German,13000 mi over a year old NO problems zero nothing.
    my 99. 20,000 and no problems.Saturn engine is apparently an oil burner after a certain point, [but if you don't check your oil and fluids regularly, you shouldn't be driving anyway!!!]but that would be fine.
    There seems to be this attitude out there that if a car doesn't increase in ever more complex and potentially troublesome gimmicks gadgets mechanical bits and electronically controlled systems, that it's "unrefined, crude and dated".I don't call making a vehicle more complex "progress", but it makes great copy for the ad dept. and gives you bragging rights at the water cooler!
    Perhaps GM is buying some time [as they did with the Catera; the next gen. of which will be designed here in the US] to design the 5th generation Cavalier, using Saturn, Opel and GM sources with it's own unique body. Or not.
    Historically GM puts a small car design on the market and leaves it there for YEARS with few updates or changes.
    The Cavalier does what it has always done: it works. Millions of people depend on them every day for reliable transportation.L.A. is swarming with them. And if GM is having to subsidize it with rebates that's their fault for not paying any attention to it for the past 7 years.First car I've had that I didn't wish was something else. It's an honest, straight forward vehicle that does what it's supposed to do AND looks good doing it.Compared to the Astra, I wonder what the design looked like that the "focus" groups rejected!!!!
    I agree with a lot of what you say. Our 99 has been basically flawless aside from a couple of dash rattles. That being said, the Cavalier is looking dated when compared to the Sentra, Civic, Protege, Neon and Corolla. The 2.2L is ok, but it lacks power and refinement and burns more gas than it should (mainly in the city).

If you have not driven the new L-series with the Saturn 2.2L, I suggest you do. It has more power, burns less gas and is more refined than it's Cavalier 2.2L cousin. I think a new Cavalier with this engine will sell much better. If they fix up the handling a little and turn up the quality a notch, GM won't have to subsidize this car like they do today.
    This is the German car I wish I had never owned. It had a 1.8 liter German designed engine. It was a cam-in-head arrangement. The problem was that the designers had forgotten to give the cam shaft sufficient lubrication so that from day one your cam lobes were slowly but surely ground away. The oil from the camshaft drained out of a hole at the back of the cylinder head. After putting a new camshaft in, I put a tight fitting length of pipe in the hole to try and raise the level of oil and form a dam which hopefully the cam lobes would splash up and help to lubricate them. I was glad when I sold the lousy thing.
    about the 1.8 OHC that came in the Firenza,Skyhawk,and Sunbird.It was Brazilian I believe...same engine design I think.He was a used car dealer and described exactly what you described as being the reason the engines were shot at 70,000 miles.
  • joerelljoerell Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier and i have a Am/Fm/Cd radio, and i was looking on the chevrolet website and i saw the new Radion Data system radio. it gives the driver information about various accidents, or bad weather reports. I saw them installed on the 2001 Chevrolet Cavaliers. I was wondering if i can put the RDS in my 1998 Chevy?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    that new saturn 2.2 is light years ahead of whats in the cavalier now.

I drove one, its smooth. As smooth as the Toyota motor in my Prizm. Can't say that about the Quad 4 or OHV2.2. Also, it gets 30-35mpg reportedly, in a 3000 pound car!!!

Maybe gm usa finally has pulled its head out of its corporate collective butt and figured out how to build a competitive motor.
    My 2000 2.2 cav idles so smooth that with the radio on I can't tell the engine is running unless I look at the tach.
  • jimm16jimm16 Member Posts: 2
    I wrote earlier about a problem with "creaking" steering (2001 sedan, 9000 miles) that is due to a bad strut bearing on the driver's side. I have had the car back to the dealership 4 times and the problem has not been fixed. They have replaced both strut bearings and the steering rack.
    It is very easy to reproduce the problem and I have demonstrated it to two different service managers. You can put your hands on the coil spring and feel it "chattering" as the handwheel is turned. I believe that the strut bearings, including the replacements, are defective.
    I have contacted Chevrolet Customer Service to get them involved and they are making arrangements for one of their troubleshooters to look at it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to approach Chevrolet and the dealership to get this fixed? Has anyone else seen this problem?
    P.S. Built in Lordstown
  • ringtownjoe1ringtownjoe1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 Cavalier with 53k miles has not given me a lot of trouble and has proven to be reliable SO FAR. Problems were wiper motor that took 3 tries to fix, 2 recalls, replacing the tiny front brakes every 2 years along with a set of rotors, coolant temp sensor, and the usual American made squeaks and rattles. Overall, I won't complain as I bought her for a little under $14000 new well equipped.I do have the 2.4 and 4 speed auto which, as far as i'm concerned, is a different car than the 2.2 and 3 speed auto. I also think the 2.4 is a more reliable engine. When I went to the dealer for the last recall which was a cover for the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) I was told that there are several upgrade patches to the PCM memory. One of which is for cold engine stalling and stuttering which I am experiencing. The dealer wanted me to pay for the upgrades. I figured why should I pay for GMs programming mistakes. I contacted GM Customer Service and got nothing but excuses, surprise! The programming upgrades to the PCM seems to be a well kept secret. I wonder how many of the driveability problems people are experiencing are related to this simple reprogramming of the PCM. No parts involved just to download the bug fixes just like we all have experienced with our PCs. Would I buy another Cavalier? With GMs lets "PISS OF THE CUSTOMER" attitude, NO! But anyone experiencing minor driveability problems with no error codes I would investigate the PCM programming upgrades and complain.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    is largely positive. It's a Lordstown car.

Ignition switch replaced at 38K, largely because I hung a bunch of keys off it. Replaced alternator a year ago, dealer also replaced valve cover gasket. That's about it.

This is my wife's present car. I'm driving a 2001 Elantra GLS which has a whole lot more interior room and is a LOT more sophisticated with far better build quality, quietness, etc. However the Cavalier at this point has definitely given me good service. Do think it's getting really long in the tooth, however, and its replacement in 2004 will be long overdue.
    should still be covered under the emissions warranty, since it affects the control of exhaust.A lot of those parts are covered to 80,000 miles by law.
    Check your owners manual to be certain though or try another dealer. It's unfortunate you're having problems with the dealership. So far mine has been great
    Actually, the Cavalier is now due to be replaced with a 2003 model in 2002. The 2002 models have the Saturn 2.2L Ecotec as the optional engine. Cavalier has been left too long and is getting dated. Still don't trust those Korean brands though. Saw two very new Hyundias parked on the side of the road with the hoods up this weekend.
    The 2.2 with the 4 sp will lay rubber.The 2.4 quad is noted for its short comings,a lot of mechanics will cheer now that they will finally replace it with the 2.2 eco tec.You are coming close to the infamous water pump change,picture this the whole front of the engine has to come apart.I have seen posts of $400 to $800 to replace.Btw when i ordered my LS i took the 2.2,$450 option for trouble,no way.The 2.2 pump is 8 bolts an 1/2 hr labor and more reliable engine.GM could never make a good OHC engine,now they got one from Germany.
    It may be from Germany/ Europe, but it's all GM and it's made in the U.S. 2.2L Ecotec is going into the Cavalier, Sunfire, Alero and Grand Am. It's all good.
    I have yet to find out if you have to tear the engine apart to replace the water pump on the eco tec, would you know?
    No idea. I do know the engine has had very good reviews all around so I suspect it will have a more accessible pump.
    RE: the Eco-tec on a Cavalier site and noone had any info.Is it the Bi-Fuel 2.2 that comes standard in the S-10 pickups here in CA.? Please post more info. I've only read the name.
    I love the 4speed Auto.w/2.2 in mine, real quiet at speed and great gas mileage. THX, Dave
    The Saturn 2.2L Ecotec in the L-series is the same engine. You can probably get some info from Saturn.
    I may stop by Saturn of the Valley and snag some info or go on their site this evening