Chevrolet Cavalier

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Just keep in mind that our troubles didn't start until the car was 4-1/2 years old and had 44,000 miles on it. Since then, it's been a head gasket every 4,000 to 6,000 miles. Nice how they timed all this stuff to happen after the warranty expired.

Meade
    It's also very interesting that your '92's head gasket went at almost exactly the same time and mileage as our '95's. Almost TOO interesting.

Meade
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I replaced a head gasket at 80,000 miles but it was a non issue it cost me $14.I now have a 99 & 00 2.2 just waiting.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Actually, we had a 91 Cavalier previously and it had 140K when we sold it. Never had any problems aside from rust on that one either. The cars are ok, you just got a bad one. It's unfortunate, but Mazda reliability isn't any better than GM's. Hopefully you will have better luck though.
    I'd like to know how you replaced a head gasket for $14. It's usually more like $700. Are you sure you're not talking about a valve cover gasket? They're two very different things.

Meade
    I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you here, but two things before I rest my case ...

(1) GM would not have issued a recall on the head gaskets if mine were a rare case. They've had enough complaints to make them issue a recall. You don't offer to fix tens of thousands of cars at $600 a pop out of your pocket unless you did something wrong.

(2) I own a 2000 Protege with 28,000 miles on the odometer. No (zero) problems. By the time we had reached 28,000 miles on the Cavalier, we'd already replaced the alternator, two stereos, all the belts and a broken headlight switch. I also owned a 1992 Mazda Protege. I drove that car 83,000 miles in only 27 months (more than 100 miles a day) delivering pizzas. Also, never one problem with that car. None! You won't find me believing any of your statistics (not that you mentioned any) when I have the proof in my driveway.

But in case you're one of those guys who believes everything he reads, then here's a link for you. Notice how there are NO Chevrolet products in the "Good Bets" category, and there are NO Mazda products in the "Reliability Risks" category. Oh well.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/redirect/content.jsp?PATH=/Special/Autos/Reports/0110use0.html

Unfortunately your experience alone is not statistically significant. Chevrolet rates higher than Mazda in quality and satisfaction (according to JD Power). That said, there is no doubt some models of Cavaliers have problems. I'm not trying to minimize your experience and I don't blame you for buying something else. I'm only trying to say that Cavaliers are not bad cars in general.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My best friend has a 1996 Cavalier right now. It blew its transmission right at 100,000 miles. The water pump went 4 times, the struts went at 100K as well. The thing rattles, bangs, and clanks like a 10 year old car. I had a 1996 Cavalier myself about 2 years ago, and had nothing but trouble with it. From brake problems, to stalling, to check engine lights every time I turned around. I am not trying to talk down Cavaliers, but almost everyone I know (and I know a bunch of people who have had them) has trouble with them.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    everybody has a " my friend has one and it was awful' type of story. Leave it alone, you got your Mazda, live happy and don't stress, trying to convince ANYONE that their point is wrong or right is a waste of time and energy. Some Cavaliers have problems, some Mazdas have problems, and some Hondas have problems, it's a car for Christs sake get over it and move on. Good luck with whatever you own. :-)
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    You really can't seriously be comparing Chevys with Mazdas! ROFL
    Well, I've had to consecutive Cavaliers, my mom had a Cavalier and one of my best friends had one and all were fine. Nope, they aren't perfect and ya they probably have more problems than a Civic, but they are pretty good on average.

I hope the next generation compact from Chevy isn't called a Cavalier. I think they need a new name as it should be a big improvement.
    I went to the J.D. Power website and found that the Protege ranked higher than the Cavalier.

Meade
    You are obviously bitter so it's difficult to have a civil conversation with you.

Yes Protoge ranks a little higher, but Mazda as a whole ranks lower than Chev in both customer satisfaction and quality in general. I had a 626 for a short time and although the car was ok, Mazda used to fight every warranty claim. That all said, just be happy with your new car and enjoy it. Life is too short to let stuff like that get you all down and out.

Peace
    When I was telling you that I've had three Proteges, we've also had two Cavaliers. The last one was a 1991, and by 60,000 miles it was leaking transmission fluid and antifreeze like a sieve. The dashboard visibly shook at idle and the car belched smoke like a transit bus. Funny how my 1992 Protege went 83,000 miles and was driven much harder (for pizza delivery) and it was still behaving like a relatively new car when I sold it (bad mistake).

Dindak, I just spent the better part of a half-hour going through the last several hundred posts in this topic to see if my gasket problem is, in fact, an isolated case as you claim it is. Seems it isn't. The following people have also had to replace their head gaskets due to GM's "hidden recall" and some have had to foot the bill themselves:

216591 (post 99)
    vcjumper (post 172)
    geena19 (post 187)
    anunnqi (post 190)
    treasguy (post 191)
    buyingimpala (post 192)
    tommy100 (post 391)
    jenny14 (post 441)
    onepumpkin (post 443)
    tony22r (post 512)
    occupant1 (post 559)
    vocus (many posts)

... and that's just in the "sedans" Cavalier topic. I haven't checked the "coupes" section for the 2-doors, or the Z24 topic, or any of about another half-dozen topics I could check.

It's funny how in almost all of those cases referenced above, either you or your compatriot Cavalier cheerleader, malibu99, has jumped right on top of the complainant and told them it was an isolated case or some version of "hey, these are economy cars -- what do you expect?" Sorry, I expect a car that will outlast its payments for $12,000.

As I searched the posts, I found several posts from you yourself calling the current-generation Cavalier "crude," "rough compared to the Protege," and "out-of-date." You even recommended Mazda to someone in post 210.

I think it all comes down to what American car buyers call quality. Post 540 sums it up completely:

"My 1997 Cavalier with 53k miles has not given me a lot of trouble and has proven to be reliable so far. Problems were wiper motor that took 3 tries to fix, 2 recalls, replacing the tiny front brakes every 2 years along with a set of rotors, coolant temp sensor, and the usual American made squeaks and rattles."

I wouldn't stand for that in a car that has only 53,000 miles on it, and I certainly would NOT call the above list of problems "not a lot of trouble" and "reliable."

Last thing: You got all over me last year when my SECOND head gasket was installed by my dealer using old head bolts, and I complained. You said: "But they fixed it under warranty, so GM did it's part. The dealership screwed up from there." Well, now TWO head gaskets later, fixed correctly, it seems GM's "warranty" isn't worth the paper it's written on -- and the problem is not in the head gasket. Do you really expect a by-god Chevy part, signed by Mr. Goodwrench himself, to last only 4,000 miles, not once, but THREE TIMES?

When is GM going to admit that they manufactured an inferior head, machined of aluminum that is too thin, that warps when heated and blows head gaskets? They won't, but they haven't fooled me. They've lied to me and lost my business. I really expected a brand-new car, whose oil I've changed every 3,000 miles, whose recommended maintenance I've followed to a "T," to last more than 42,000 miles without having thousands of dollars in problems -- and the same problems over and over again. Yes, you're damned right I'm bitter.

I find it hard to believe this "coincidence" you refer to as my head gasket problem is truly so coincidental when so many others here have had the exact same problem. Go read any other topic and see how many people are complaining about head gasket failures in such low-mileage cars. This problem has been documented not only by consumer agencies but by GM itself. Why are you denying it? I don't need any more proof than the now-worthless letter from GM sitting in my file cabinet at home. You'll defend Chevy to the death -- why? And if Cavaliers are so great, why are you now driving an Oldsmobile?

I think I've made my point here. Seeing your history of posts, I don't expect you to do anything but try to have the last word. So here's mine -- our final Cavalier will be sold this month, and you won't have to deal with my head gasket complaints anymore -- but you will see more head gasket complaints. I guarantee it.

Have a nice life!

Meade
    Like I said, I think you are simply too wound up about this whole thing so I can't really talk to you. I will say that I NEVER mentioned the head gasket in any of my posts. I NEVER denied there was a problem ever. I think you are mixing me up with someone else. There is probably a problem, but I haven't had any.

Question for you is.. if you were so displeased with your first Cavalier, why did you buy another?

As for GM, the Cavalier is it's oldest design on the road and should have been replaced years ago. Unfortunately the truck market is much more profitable for them so that is where they put the development money. GM makes good cars and trucks in general and Cavalier although ok IMO, is probably the weakest car in the line up.

My advice to you is enjoy your Mazda and relax. I never said you made a bad choice and in fact the Protoge would be on my shopping list today if I was looking for a small car. I really like the new hatchback.

Peace!
    ... because my wife's mom worked at a local Chevrolet dealer at the time and got my wife a good deal.

By the way, as a parting thought, let me quote to you what the GENERAL MANAGER of Whitlow Chevrolet here in Richmond, Virginia, just said to me over the phone. Maybe this will shed some light on how much trust she places in the product her dealership sells:

"We don't build them. We just sell them."

See ya.

Meade
    You say get over it and move on. If you were in the situation where MD is right now, you telling me you wouldn't be mad? If someone told you to your face they can't fix your car for the same thing a THIRD time and then said "we just sell them, we don't build them", you wouldn't be mad? Put yourself in his position with a car with only 53,000 miles on it and all these problems.

And yes, Mazdas do have problems. Every car has problems. But some cars have more problems than others do. It's the crappy customer service that's the problem with Chevy it seems. And also inferior products, which they knew because they kept the 2.2 head gasket problems secret as long as they could. That's messed up and not fair.

You know what I had a service technician tell me about my Cavalier when I had it? He said to me, "why don't you just drive the car and enjoy it?" when I took it in for brake problems. I WENT OFF right in the dealership. I got him fired that day for his comment. And I told him to his face, "now I am going to enjoy this".
    I can't blame you for being hot under the collar with that comment. I would take an ad out in the local paper highlighting my problems, and use everything but the name of the dealership (name, phone, location, and all). That way, they can't get you in any legal trouble for it. That would teach them.
    But I'm not going to spend ANY more of my time and money on this car, even if it's only to get back at the dealer. Dindak and his minions can say all they want about legendary Cavalier quality, and that's great. If Canada's like the U.S., they are free to think any way they want and own anything they want. As for me, I'll exercise my right to freedom of expression and speak with my wallet. Chevrolet, GM and Whitlow all lost a customer for life today. Too bad. All they had to do was treat their customer with a little respect, but no one even offered to help. All they did was make excuses. That's really sad, especially in today's economy when car makers are having to almost give cars away to get customers.

Meade

P.S. I did get the e-mail address of a contact at NHTSA and left him my service record and a few links to people who've had similar problems. NHTSA does perform investigations on multiple complaints of a similar nature; we'll see what happens. But whatever outcome there is won't affect us very much. We'll probably have a Protege5 in our driveway by Christmas.
  • black01coupev6black01coupev6 Member Posts: 195
    It's funny that any time someone in here has a problem they get "it's just a fluke" "you must've just gotten a bad one". Well it seems to me that considering the limited number of people who post in these forums there is a little more to it than people just getting bad cars. I myself just read about 100 posts and I think about half of them had some kind of problem.

It's also strange that out of the 20 cars we have had in the last 6 years the only one that was purchased new that required warranty work was a 2000 Chevy Silverado 5.3.
    Let's see....
    1. The frame around the rear sliding window cracked. This is a common problem with these vehicles. Did they find a solution? No, they replaced it with an aftermarket sliding rear window.

2. The throttle body was sticking. They did repair this. But it needed a new throttle body with less than 500 miles on it. And it required 2 trips to the dealer to get it repaired correctly.

3. Brakes juttered. Brand new truck required new brakes.

4. Also while we should've noticed it when we bought it the truck had rail dust all over the paint.

5. When it was traded at 7,000 miles and 2 oil changes for a 94 LS400 the transmission was clunking when turning corners at low speeds.

We were done with this vehicle at that point after owning several high mileage Hondas that had zero problems. The Lexus runs like a champ and required only a transmission fluid flush and 2 new tires with 113,000 miles on it.

We also had a 97 Toyota RAV4, a 98 Civic EX, a 99 Accord EX 4 cylinder, and a 01 Accord EX V6 that were purchased new and none of them required anything other than oil changes. Same with every used Honda/Acura/Toyota that we have owned. I guess we just got a bad one too. But if you look at the GMC/Chevy Silverado forums these problems were run of the mill, we just couldn't adjust to making unscheduled trips to the dealer and were afraid of what the after-warranty experience might be like. All of the problems that we had were listed in the forum as typical problems with that particular truck. So don't even try the "you just got a bad one".

A friend at work has a 97 Cavalier Z24 ... it too had to have an engine replaced so I definitely don't want to hear that the head gasket problem is a rare occurence because it's not. A short visit to this forum should be all it takes to disuade someone from purchasing this problem ridden, out-dated car when there are much better choices out there.
    ... how some Edmunds car topics are filled with enthusiasts, for the most part -- people who discuss how much they enjoy their cars, the kinds of accessories they're adding, etc. -- while other topics, such as this one, consist almost entirely of people coming in seeking solutions for problems -- only to get told "it's a car for Christs sake get over it and move on" by the small, defend-it-to-the-death [non-permissible content removed] faction that will not consider that the person actually may have a valid concern. Yeah, the car was built by GM -- there's no way a big ol' friendly American automaker could have made a big boo-boo and lied to cover it up, now is there? Not since, oh say, the side-mounted truck gas tank dilemma? Or the Ford Pinto?
    I don't want to make you feel bad but i do my own work.Took the head off with everything on & the valve cover gasket was neoprene so used it over.Bought the head gasket at Advance Auto Parts for $14.Changed the oil & filter but chalked that up to normal maintenance.It costs me more to change my transmission oil & filter than to replace a head gasket on a 2.2.40,000 miles later i sold the car and the gasket was still good.
    Joe -- If it's that simple a fix, why do the dealers charge close to $1,000 to fix it? Yet another example of being reamed by the big GM?

(Really, thanks for the advice. I do certain things myself but never tried tackling a head gasket before. But I may look into it if the leak affects our trade-in value a lot.)

BTW dindak, I'm not that wound up that I can't carry on a conversation. You keep coming back and repeating that I'm too wound up to have a conversation with. On the contrary, it appears to me that some people would rather not carry on a conversation with me since I am understandably passionate about this problem. I will not "relax and enjoy my Protege" while that worthless heap of Detroit crap still sits next to it in the driveway. Bitter? You betcha! Even more now! Why?

"We don't build 'em, we just sell 'em!"

Thanks Vocus -- I think any of us (those of us who are honest, that is) would be bitter too if they'd just been told to "suck it up" and pay close to a thousand bucks for the third incidence of the exact same problem in 54,000 miles! What -- should I happily pay my kilobuck and start saving my pennies so I can do it AGAIN in 6,000 miles? That's how long the last two lasted each! What would you do?

Hey -- one new head gasket repair every 6,000 miles -- that comes to 17 cents a mile! At our average of 12,000 miles a year, that's $170 a month! I'd better start my "Head Gasket Piggy Bank" right away!!! Funny; the monthly payment on the old Cav was only slightly higher than that. Yep -- Chevy Cavalier ... the gift that keeps on taking!

Am I supposed to calm my rage toward GM by knowing the the Cavalier is the "weakest link?" Excuse me, but the 12 grand we put toward the Cavalier meant just as much to us as the 12 grand somebody might put into an S10 pickup (which by the way is no pinnacle on the reliability scale either). Since when does GM get to pick which vehicles it takes the time to build right and which vehicles it dumps on the public with manufacturing defects? What an excuse.

How fast has my opinion of GM products fallen in the last year?

LIKE A ROCK.
    JD Power's #1 compact pick up for initial quality - S-10 pickup.

Name calling and misquoting me is really showing how emotional you obviously are. I think you really need to take a step back and get a grip. Your experience with a GM car is not everyone elses. I thought you sold the Cavalier?

I've tried to be nice and have a civil conversation, but I can't obviously say anything you aren't going rip to shreds.
    I am sorry, but I have to agree with MD. I would be royally pi$$ed too if my head gasket went 3 times within a year or so. And the mileage on the car has only increased by like 5000 in that year, so that's even more a reason for the gasket not to be blowing left and right. To me it is anyway.
    If you look back at my past posts you will see I clearly said, "I don't blame you for being mad and buying something else". All I'm just saying GM and American cars are not all crap like he says. I've driven both Japanese cars and American and nither is clearly superior in general.
    I've always loved that survey. Initial quality measures how well the manufacturer lived up to delivering a vehicle with no defects. But all vehicles come with warranties to take care of any initial glitches. How about something more important to car buyers, like long-term reliability? I'll refer you back to the same link I posted the other day:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/redirect/content.jsp?PATH=/Special/Autos/Reports/0110use0.html

You use your consumer sources, I'll use mine. We can back ourselves up to the bitter end. And speaking of misquoting ... I never said I've sold the Cavalier. Geesh, I just said yesterday I was going to sell it ... it takes a few days to clean up the green mess under the hood, give it a bath and get it ready for trade-in inspection! We'll probably try to wait until the end of the month -- oughta be an incredibly rich buyer's market then!

And another misquote on your part ... I never said my Cavalier experience was everyone else's either -- but I don't have to. Dozens of folks have posted this common Cavalier problem on Edmunds topics anyway! And GM itself admitted it! So YOU get over it -- no matter whether I said it or not, it IS a common problem. I don't think I've been unlucky having this problem -- I think YOU have been LUCKY not having it.

And there you go again -- the third time today, I think -- calling me emotional. Why do you keep harping on that? Yes, I AM EMOTIONAL! Wouldn't you be too, if you had a car that bites you in the financial derriere every six months? Remember ...

"We don't build 'em, we just sell 'em!"

Meade

There you go misquoting me again. I never said GM and American cars were all crap. If you can remember last year, I said the exact opposite TO YOU, sir. September 15, 2000 ... Post 284, if you'd like to check it. I said:

"No, all GM cars aren't crap. My dad and stepmom both have Buick Rivieras and they're fine. My experience, however, makes me hesitate to buy anything built in America ever again ..."

I maintain that opinion. Once bitten, twice shy ... I had a shred of hope after last year's second head gasket replacement -- I hoped that maybe this time it was fixed. But I was wrong, and now I (ME) (MYSELF) (JUST ME) (NOT YOU) (NOR ANYONE ELSE ON THIS TOPIC) (WARNING: FOLLOWING PHRASE IS MY OPINION) (YOUR OPINION MAY VARY) prefer not to take the chance with GM ever again.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's just try to focus on the car instead of quoting each other and arguing about it, okay?

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    You're right; there's no need to continue this. Especially since I'm getting rid of the Cavalier. I'm finished beating this dead horse (the topic, not the car.)

;-)

Meade
    I think it all comes down to what American car buyers call quality. Post 540 sums it up completely: My 1997 Cavalier with 53k miles has not given me a lot of trouble and has proven to be reliable so far. Problems were wiper motor that took 3 tries to fix, 2 recalls, replacing the tiny front brakes every 2 years along with a set of rotors, coolant temp sensor, and the usual American made squeaks and rattles."
    Finally you said something right.. "This horse has beaten to death".

Maybe we and our family have been lucky with our Cavaliers. It's been a great second car and very inexpensive. The dealership is very good and service is top notch. I'm sorry you had a bad Cavalier. Be happy and don't buy GM again is my best advice.
    3 attempts at fixing a wiper motor is 3 times more than I would expect in a Honda and 2 times more than I would expect in a Chevy.

We had an issue with a 1998 Honda Civic EX we purchased in Nov. 98. It wasn't mechanical. There were some slight imperfections in the paint on the rear of the car. We complained with American Honda in Jan. 99 and ended up with $1,000 cash and a new Accord at cost. That sure beats a head gasket.
    I don't know what point you were trying to make in post 631. That quote I lifted from post 540 wasn't mine. Those were another Cavalier owner's words.

Now, I'm outta here.

Meade
    mdaffron : You said "Post 540 sums it up completely"

black01coupev6 : Our receptionist has a 98 Civic. Just after the warranty expired she had a broken alternator and her barrings needed replacing. Doesn't mean Honda sucks. Means she has a bad car.
    BTW, did that Civic's replacement alternator die 4,000 miles later, to be replaced by another one that died 6,000 miles after that?

Bye. And I mean it this time, Pat.

Meade
    Peace man!
    It was a nice debate. Sorry we got out of hand there a little, Pat. I repent!

Meade
    Nope, but she just got it fixed 2 months ago.

Actually our current Cavalier is leased and will be going back in 6 months. I think I will probably upgrade to an Alero if we don't get a van of some kind.
    I thought they were stopping production of Aleros soon? Wouldn't it be hard to get parts and stuff for a car that's not made anymore?
    Alero production runs through 2004 and parts are not an issue as it's almost the same as the Grand Am mechanically.
    I'm with you Vocus, I thought that this was Oldsmobiles last production year.

As for the Honda Civic. Did the battery die and kill the alternator? There are more variables with that scenario than with the headgasket blowing up every few thousand miles on more than one Cavalier.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Looking at the Consumer Reports link Meade posted, isn't it interesting how except for The New Beetle (build in Mexico), The Benz M-Class and Volvo AWD, ALL vehicles are American-made, yet only 3 out of 36 American-made made the list for best cars?

I'm not trying to start a big discussion American vs Japanese cars, but I still don't understand how one can choose a Cavalier/Neon/Sunfire over a Protege/Civic? Don't get it.
    I know Virginia's Lemon Law is only good for the first 18 months of ownership, but there are other laws such as the Magnuson-Moss Breach of Warranty Act. I e-mailed a local attorney who's an expert in this stuff yesterday and presented my story to him. He said due to the age of the car, it would be too expensive to litigate and although I definitely have a case, the cost of litigation would be more than I'd get in return. But the real interesting thing is what he said to end his e-mail, and further proves my PERSONAL conviction about GM:

"Good luck. You are right about GM's attitude, and almost fraud in this area."

Meade
    black01coupev6 : Don't know all the details and I don't think she does either. Her car just died and it had to be replaced. That's all she told me.

dinu01 : The big reason is price. It would cost much more to lease a Civic over a Cavalier. I have a 0.9% lease rate and put zero down and no security deposit. Honda would not lease without a deposit. I know that a Civic is a better car, but I only need this as a second car, something to get me or my wife to work. Cavalier is great for this and less expensive. I will admit, it I was planning a long term hold on the car, I would probably buy a Nissan Sentra.

Watch out for CR. It is NOT a car magazine and there are many flaws in it's testing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,72161-412,00.shtml

• dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    You're rite: as a 2nd car, if it's LEASED it's fairly cheap. But to buy it and own it...

I went $0 down on my Protege with 2.9%/yr.

And for consumer reports, there have been some issues with testing as u report, but just the depreciatiation hit u take on GM/Ford/Chrysler if u BUY the car is too much for me at least to deal with.

Example:
    This summer...

I sold my 93 civic h/b with 125km for $6k
    My cousin sold his 95 sunfire 2 dr with 115km for $5975

And the rattles... don't even want to discuss it.

Probably just b/c when I get a car, I get it to keep it for along time, so a domestic would not do it for me.

Oh well, just personal taste. Can't have everyone driving Cavaliers or Proteges...

Later, Dinu
    Civic has the best re-sale of any small car so anything looks bad next to it. That said, the Sunfire was probably purchased at a lower price and financed at a lower rate so it's likely not as bad as it seems.

Cavalier is a very old design and I hope it's replacement is much better. Current model is ok and feature filled and the good thing is GM is selling cheap which makes it very affordable.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    vocus

Yes I would be mad. Would I waste my time trying to convince someone that they are wrong or right? Nope. I would get rid of the car and get a new one and go to that topic and praise it, rather than wasting time complaining OVER and OVER. Yes I would conmplian but would I bother arguing like you two do. No. Waste of time.

mdaffron

I don't recall caling you names or saying that your case was isolated. So if you want to refer to someone as a chearleader maybe you should look at yourself . All I said was that you should move on with your new car and just move on, NEVER did I say your case was isolated. Maybe you should learn how to read. It is a pure waste of time. Look how 39 posts have been posted here between you and two other people. Fo rthe longest time the Cavalier forum was quiet because no one was reporting problems. But then you come along and start a pointless debate. You will NEVER convince ANYONE that they are wrong and no one will EVER convinve YOU that you are wrong so why keep trying. Get my drift? Your Cavalier sucked big time so did vocu's Cavalier and you made your point and you reported it and stated how awful it was, that is good and dandy now drop the point. I don't see why someone can't say the opposite without you getting mad. Get that point? Yours was bad, dindak's was good. We have had cavaliers in our famili go way over 100,000 and tehy are still going. What does that mean? If someone asks me if Cavalier is a good car I will say "yes", if they ask you you will say "No", are either one of us wrong or right? No, hence, get over it!
    Cost is not the parts,its the labor.In my area the dealers get $55 to $65 an hour.The job is a days work,its time consuming to do it right.I spent a lot of time cleaning the old gasket material off the head & block.When i read of a early gasket replacement failure i know it wasn't done right.The thing diy do is they remove too many parts.With a 2.2 leave on the intake & exhaust manifolds,only take off what you have to,i didn't need a intake or exhaust gasket.The exhaust gasket cost more than the head gasket,how about that.All you need to do the job is a good set of tools & a torque wrench & a Chilton manual.Good luck