Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• limolimo Member Posts: 20
    My favorite TC is a 95 Sig. with over 415,000 on the original engine. It burns less than a quart between changes every 5,000 miles. Other TCs in our 8 car fleet have similar histories. Don't know if you bought the 93 new or used, but with 157K on it, you're only putting about 12-13k on it annually, and that ain't enough to keep things limbered up. We put tire dressing on our air bags to keep them from drying out and cracking at the bottom of the bag where it meets the metal end cap. We just replaced the originals on my '95, and we have had to replace them on only one other car. Your EGR ports are clogged because the valve seals need to be replaced. (We've done this on two of our cars, and it cost $450.00 at a local independent shop) Don't bother to replace the EGR until you do the valve seals, it will only last a few miles until it too clogs up. One other thing on dependability and longevity. ALL of our cars and the van use only full synthetic oil and full synthetic transmission fluid. I'm certain beyond any doubt that this is the major reason we have so little trouble with engines/trans, and the few extra bucks is well worth it.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    I've always wanted a '69 Mark and have found one up in the Blue-Ridge Mountains on a farm. My '88 TC Cartier is more of a toy for me and I only have room for one toy at the house so I'm thinking about making a switch.

The two downsides I see are 1)The Mark needs body work and 2) I won't be able to visit with you guys anymore or Pat will keep me after school.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    What's to think about? It would be a great restoration project, if done right, should draw big money. As a daily driver though, it's gonna be a headache just because it's do damn old.
    Well, I'm in the middle of a huge addition to my house which I'm building myself, I have a daughter starting high-school, an ailing father, a Windstar and a bone-spur on my elbow. A "project" car just might push me over the edge. What I really like about the 16 year old TC is that is needs NO work. I can just get in and enjoy it. I really want the Mark, but I guess I'm just a pansy.

By the way, my auto-dimming rear-view mirror is shot. I took it apart in an attempt to fix it and now it is more shot. If I'm going to replace it, do I have to replace it in kind, with the motor driven flip-up dealie or can it easily be exchanged for the sexy optical night shifter thingy?
    Good question - I have no idea!!
  • bergmanq1bergmanq1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how this model compares with the standard town car? Will it have a better ride? Handle worse? I know its 6 inches longer in the back seat but thats about it. Thanks for your help.
    Handling is pretty much unaffected surprisingly. It's a lovely car, and that back seat is delicious!
    Same wheel base?
    No, it's longer, but it doesn't seem to change the ride or handling much at all. Since the Town Car is designed with potential stretching in mind anyway, those contingencies are easily factored in, I guess.
  • ehardisonehardison Member Posts: 23
    I have had my 2003 town car executive for one year.It has been a perfect car. Nothing has happened that required repairs and I have been to the dealer twice for routine maintenance. I have a little over 12,000 miles on the odometer and it consistently averages about 24.5 mpg on trips and about 20 in town. It seems to run,drive and ride better now than it did when new.
    I am sure you can tell that I am pleased with it and plan to keep it for a long time.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Today's issue of Automotive News (9/7) has two stories on a 4.4 Liter, 315 HP V8 from Yamaha to be used in the XC90 early next year. If it fits there, it should fit the S80, Five Hundred / Montego / Freestyle, and the possible next Town Car.

The Zephyr concept is simply beautiful, and coming out with it, and with a Volvo-based Town Car would take Lincoln in a new direction, and not the same "edgy" direction Cadillac is going. I hope Ford proceeds and succeeds.

I have also rented Town Cars. It is much worse that the DeVille, and both are way, way behind the Lexus LS430 and other modern designs. The prices of both are so high that they are silly - why buy a Town Car when the Ford or Mercury is the same car for $15,000 or more less?
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    I wish Volvo luck with this engine but I really hope that Lincoln goes with a longitudinally mounted V8, either the 4.6L or 5.4L. According to the article in Automotive News the reason Volvo went with the Yamaha V8 is because adapting the car to an existing Ford V8 meant stretching the car 5 inches. That's a problem when you expect to sell the majority of cars with transverse mounted I5 and I6s and have to deal with Europen taxes that penalize cars for being too long, but those problems don't obtain for a North American Lincoln model and since the plan on stretching the car anyway, about 5" incidentally per the AutoWeek article, and the back seat doesn't really need more room, lengthening the front to fit an existing Ford mod V8 makes sense, it would also give the car more traditional American luxury proportions with a longer hood.
    Yes it would, and would probably also screw up the geometry of the car. Just like making that beautiful 88 Continental out of the Taurus did. Beautiful design, but they never did get enough front suspension under the car to stop it from bottoming and topping out on bad bumps in the road.
  • ddinhamddinham Member Posts: 4
    I have started something here in Kansas and throughout the midwest that I would like to share on this forum. I give a friendly wave at all 98 or newer Town Car drivers when meeting them on the road. It is too early to determine if it is catching on, however I have hopes it will. Try it. Help pass this on.
    That could get you shot in New York City...but otherwise, sounds like fun.....
    Maybe they're right, but what's the significance of '98 or newer?
    98 was the big body style change year. Then, there was a refresh last year that improved it (IMO) a lot, but it's a subtle change.
    Oh.
    I think the consensus is that 98 was not a good change - it was kind of the year the Town Car quit being a competitor for Cadillac, and became a livery car, that sold some retail units in an upscale version. The emphasis changed. Prior to 98, the goal Lincoln had for Town Car was to make a car that only need oil changes for 10 years and 150,000 miles, and was sumptuously luxurious. I think they got there in 96 myself with that refresh. Those cars were just darn good. 96-97 was the high water mark for Town Car, IMO. YMMV.
  • 96signature96signature Member Posts: 3
    As an ECSTATIC owner of a '96, I can't argue with nvbanker. I haven't cared for the current body style ever since it came out. I've tried to warm up to it, I guess I've even grown used to it. But it simply lacks the elegance of the '90-'97 models.

This morning,a co-worker of mine had to go to the airport and pick up some clients, and was just too embarrassed to use her Ford Focus. I tossed her the keys to my TC and said, "if you're gonna do a job like that, do it IN STYLE." When she got back, she couldn't stop talking about what an incredible car I had! She just kept repeating, now that's a CAR!!" One more American that now understands what the rest of us TC owners have known.......
    Amen, Brother!
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    I still have mixed feelings about the 2 body styles. My dad has a medium blue Ecec. 97 that looks classy. Some of the colors for the newer style looks classy also. IMO, the black, silver and dark red look good on the new style. I have a silver sig. 2k. I kind of like the hood orniment on the newer cars but not the grill that goes with it.

They both ride and handle great. They share some great features, its a Lincoln TC.
    I was raised on big Detroit sedans. While all my friends were driving sporty Fiats, Malibus, Mustangs, Gremlins and yes, Pintos, my first three cars were big sedans: Pontiac, Buick and Ford. Then the smallness of late 70's set in and life for a whole generation has never been the same. I've been waiting decades for us to re-learn the luxo-sedan lesson and I do believe its happening. Death to the "full size" rental car being a Taurus. Death to the loud-muffler Civic! DEATH TO THE SUV! (Nothing personal, NV) But where can you find more luxury, more class, more value than the TC?

I'm driving an old but mint Cartier and the neighborhood teens seem quite attracted to it, leaving their Accords, 318's, and old Legends in the street to come share the coolness.

Keep handing over those keys - we'll turn this thing around!
  • ddinhamddinham Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone figured out how to change the headlight bulbs on the 2003 TC? I am wanting to change from halogen to the new Sylvania Silver Star bright white bulbs for better night vision. The owners manual is pretty useless on this as it only says to use a Phillips screwdriver to remove 5 screws and pull out the bulb, but I am unable to determine where these 5 screws are located and I am an old??? shade tree mechanic. I can find 2 screws under the hood near the top of the headlight assembly, but not 5 as is called for in the manual and these do not appear to be what I need for this.
    I may be showing my ignorance here, but doesn't the plug just twist out of the back of the assembly?
  • doublesharpdoublesharp Member Posts: 32
    Hi. I need advice. My 73 year old mother has a 99 TC sig purchased new, 11k miles and car has been perfect until yesterday. She was running errands and after several uneventful stops when she went to get in her locked TC the remote wouldn't work. The key would not manually unlock the door. She called AAA and they came and unlocked door with slimjim. Car would not start. AAA guy said he'd never seen anything like that. Mom had him tow car to our local Ford garage where she has car serviced and we are waiting for diagnosis. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
  • doublesharpdoublesharp Member Posts: 32
    As Emily on Sat Nite Live used to say, Never mind. Mom lost her TC keys in the beauty shop and was trying to use her 02 Sable keys to drive the TC. Embarassing but no real harm done.
    Oh, that's a good one!!!!! I love it!!!
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    Some problems on my current car has me looking at used Town Cars now. I have seen a 2004 with 23K miles - a rental, I assume - and wonder about reliability on the very recent update. Any feedback? These used to be GREAT cars - are they still?

Also, does anyone have any feedback on former rental cars, especially TCs or GMs? I hesitate to buy an off-lease car (you never know if the previous driver changed the oil), where with a Hertz car you know it was maintained. Can anyone weigh in with prior experience?
    I bought many a car from Hertz with no regrets years ago. Yet, I have seen how some renters deliberately abuse rentals and shudder to think I could have bought that car. Nowadays, I lease cars and still maintain them carefully, because I may buy them out of the lease at the end of the term. If not, whoever gets my lease return gets a pampered car.

On the Town Car question, I think they're better than ever, except for an anemic blower on the A/C. Otherwise, they are an excellent used value.
    I wouldn't buy a rental Mustang or mid to small size car. Those are the ones the abusers rent. Most punks don't rent TC's.
    Hmmm, good point beernut. But cowboys do.....
    Ah - just clean out the bottom of the spitcup holders.
    In Vegas on NFR week, all you can see if F-150's, F-250's and F-350 duallys, and rented Town Cars, with 6 Cowboy hats in 'em driving around town all week. It's a riot!! 'Cause, next to the Pickup, the Town Car is the best thang goin, ya'll.....
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    On a '96 TC, when going up a slight hill at low speed, there is a noticeable "shudder" when holding accelerator in position and on light acceleration at low speed.

Car has 46k miles and trans fluid has not been changed. Could this be cause? Had similar problem in Mercury yrs ago and I think they changed to different fluid with additive.
    My 2k TC does the same thing, usually when the engine temp is between cold start and operating temp. I was wondering if it was tranny not shifting correctly (oil was change 20K ago) or engine not running properly.
    I would look to the engine actually, not the transmission. I would suspect a dirty injector. Try some fuel injector cleaner. Maybe have the injector rail flushed. I'm betting that's your problem. Have you drived downshifting it to see if the problem goes away? What does it do?
    Find a stretch of road that consistently produces the shudder and note where on the road it happens, like "starts right in front of the 46 mile marker, quits by the bridge." Then drive the same route with the car in 3rd. If the shudder stays, look to the combustion system. If the shudder goes away, although it doesn't exclude the possibility of an injector problem because you've changed rpm and load conditions, it more likely indicates the infamous "Ford seeking overdrive" syndrome. Tranny flush and adjustment could correct it.
    Take a look at the engine and trans mounts. Worn, flat, loose or missing rubber can introduce a shudder feel at shift and harmonic points.
    Seems to be the "Ford seeking OD". It was jumping at about 40-45 mph and I could give more gas and it would go. This morning I took the usual route to work. Before I got to the same hill, I hit the OD button and it went up with out any problems. I kind of thought that is what it was, but my wife drove it Sunday morning and was griping about it (She calls it the "old man's car" anyways.) The tranny oil was changed 15-20k ago and I have run a couple of cans of injector cleaner through over the past 5k or so.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Probably the tranny shudder. New Mercron IV fluid should fix it. Don't let them talk you into a new torque converter - it is a fluid issue.
    Ok fellas, here's my first challenge with my '88 Cartier (57,000 miles).

Driving it yesterday, the factory radio blinked on and off for a couple of seconds, then went out. This was followed by a STRONG smell of burning wires but no smoke appeared. I was 1/2 mile from home so I sped there, parked away from the house and my other cars, and shut down. None of the fuses were blown although the radio fuse appeared to be half pushed out. I removed it and drove for a while without furhter smell and still no smoke.

Any thoughts?
    Remember beernut, at this age, (16 years), the mileage isn't all that relevant. With electrical, it's hard to tell. Something burned up. Was it critical, who knows? You may yet find a circuit that isn't there any longer that you don't often use, and then ther'll be that, Ah HAH!!! THAT's what it was!! Maybe you never will.

I had a car do exactly exactly that once. It drove for years after that with no more problems, then one day, the car filled up with smoke and the A/C fan would no longer work. Had to have the whole harness replaced. Hard to tell.
    I've been driving it since w/o the radio fuse in place w/o problem. Haven't had time to research it further yet, but I'll yank the radio, get all the wires exposed and plug the fuse back in at night - that'll do it!

BTW, what a cool, big ol' car!
    You may be on the right track. And yes, they were a way cool old car......
    OK, I found the problem, now its time for you TC afficiondos to belly up with some useful information.

I removed and disassembled the radio to find the bottom PC board was smoked.

Options:
    Fix it? - Who fixes old car radios these days?

Replace it in kind? - Who sells old car radios these days?

Best-Buy President's Day Sale? - Hmmm... Boom-Boom? Maybe some cool blue ground effect lights?

Its a 1988 Cartier with factory AM/FM/Cassette.
    Well, beernut....are you trying to keep it "factory original"? If so, your friendly junkyard may have some originals that still work in their glass case in the office they'll sell ya that will plug right in for about $35. Worth a call or two. If not, any good stereo shop will put in a wiz-bang Sony with graphics that will out perform that old Philco hands-down for a song and look just fine in there. And that's probably the direction I'd go.
    NV, I took your advice this morning and ordered a new one from Crutchfield. I'm old-fashioned and needed cassette. They had one with CD and cassette that they claim will drop right in and comes with all the plug-in adapters for my car. We'll see.

I did find what looks like a match on Ebay - close to my house, too. Its out of a '90 Conti. "Original" wasn't worth the risk/benefit to me I guess. A 15 year old car radio is a 15 year old car radio.
    I think you were wise, bn.... Crutchfield is a good outfit. They'll take it back if it doesn't work as represented. New is better. I had a 90 Continental, and it was a great unit, JVC, if I recall, but who know what condition it would be in or how long it would work by now.....