Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• gene42gene42 Member Posts: 11
    Today's Wall Street Journal has a story about Warren Buffet, the second richest man in the world and one of the wisest. He drives a Lincoln Town Car--not a Rolls Royce, a Bentley or a Maybach. What does he know?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "Today's Wall Street Journal has a story about Warren Buffet, the second richest man in the world and one of the wisest. He drives a Lincoln Town Car--not a Rolls Royce, a Bentley or a Maybach. What does he know?"

And Sam Walton drove a 79 Ford Pickup. Ross Perot drives an 88 Oldsmobile 88. Billionaires are often eccentric. They don't have to prove anything, so the secure ones don't care about the appearance, or often prefer a little anonymity.

I know Mr. Buffet. Berkshire-Hathaway owned a significant amount of Wells Fargo stock when I worked there. He just likes the Town Car. It handles easily, it's very dependable, it's comfortable for him (old geyser, you know) and he's used to it. And where he lives, Air Conditioning isn't a big issue. He never noticed it's anemic.

What does he know? He likes to slip through traffic fairly unpretentiously, and drive himself. If you have a Maybach or Rolls Royce, you really should have a Driver. And you need a second one, for when the first one is in the shop.

I myself, would own a Town Car today - if the Air Condtioning blew hard enough in them.
  • gene42gene42 Member Posts: 11
    If Buffet were indeed a "geyser" (as you say) rather than a geezer, he would have no trouble spewing off heat and would not be troubled by weak air conditioning.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Oh quit spouting off!
    Touche! (Geezer) :P
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    he drove himself to the office in a Checker! Another local wannabe captain of industry who owned a chemical plant drove himself to work in a BMW sedan, but he liked to impress the locals. Around here, the late model Cads are driven to work by middle aged bank tellers wearing huge diamond rings.
    Around here, Caddies are the favorite of female schoolteachers and principals.
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    All with stock suspension, I'll bet.
    Yeah - unless the air suspension bags went out, then some of them have aftermarket replacement springs in them...
    GASP!
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    I have visited several Lincoln dealerships lately to look at the 2006 Town Car. While looking over the 2006 model, I was told that Lincoln is planning to put the 2007 Lincoln Town Car on a Volvo frame and change the car from rear wheel drive to front wheel. Have any of you heard or read about this?
  • unclefletchunclefletch Member Posts: 4
    This is the original writer of this post, I had no idea I was setting off a fire storm, you people are ridiculous. I'm on a limited income and I have no intent on selling the car, I just purchased the car this year, and paid cash for it, as I didn't wanna have a car payment. I am quite pleased w/the car, but due to a reason mishap on the interstate, I ran over something on the interstate and damaged my rear axle as well as the air suspension, I've already paid $800 in repairs and I'm looking for an alternative to replacing the air system. I was just looking for a more cost effective solution to the issue, now unless you people are gonna give me the funds to replace it, I would suggest you think before opening your mouths. Now for the one's who truly wanna help, the question still stands, is it possible and a much less expensive route, seeing as I'm essentially driving a Grand Marquis
    You are right. I am ridiculous, but not a mind reader. Your latest post offers up better information & it is appreciated. I too am on a limited income having retired and driving a Town Car purchased during my last year of working. And, I've spent over $1100 dollars repairing my rear axle and related parts so here is a portion of sympathy. However, we are not going to give you any money and I'm not going to encourage your going the cheap way of repair.
    You are not driving a Grand Marquis & my original opinion/advice stands. That you don't agree does not mean we didn't think before opening our mouths. Good Luck. :)
    Yes, I am kind of a sh*t-head but conveniently, I AM also a mind reader.

We common folks on this board enjoy each other's company, advice, sharing and even taking shots at one-another just for the commaradarie of it. OK, so we ARE ridiculous, but we have fun AND we listen to each other's experience.

Speaking of which, did you visit any of the many websites that cater to your need as suggested? It doesn't sound like it, so, being both a mindreader and helpful, I Google'd one for you in about 15 seconds. I have absolutely no idea who these people are or what their products are like, they are just an example of the many sources available to us for the things you need (notice I'm not saying "air-suspension conversion kit"? Don't want to start anything!!)

strutmasters.com/lincoln/towncar.htm

Stick 'em in yourself in about two hours. I have not run these in my Town Car but have helped install them in Continentals in exchange for beer and they have operated trouble free.
    Google is an amazing thing.
  • unclefletchunclefletch Member Posts: 4
    Anyway for those who wanted to know as well, here's a site that I found that sells the conversion kits, http://www.suncoreindustries.com/
    Suggested Rate for Mechanic's Helper Private Garage:
    Help..........
    install struts 6 beers
    R & R tranny 2 bottles Scotch
    R & R engine 4 " "
    Repair A/C 3 " Whisky
    Front end alignment 3 " Vodka
    Detail engine bay 2 " Gin
    Detail rest of car 3 " Tequila

Do all of the above by 15 Dec & hold a Christmas party. :)
    I accept your proposal. When do we start?

BTW, the detail rate is for up to a standard luxury... no stretch.
    That's the plan right now - I don't mind the notion so badly, as I'm a big fan of the Volvo P-2 platform, which the 500 now sits on as well as the Volvo S-80 & the XC-90. I'll be very upset, if they dump the Town Car name, and choose something like Lusion.
    Does anyone think it's odd that Ford is copying the plan GM abandoned, which nearly killed Cadillac, to go all V-6 front wheel drive, while giving up it's own V-8 RWD history which Chrysler just proved is what buyers actually crave?
    Yes Scooter - Very concerned about it - what it says is that Lincoln's former mission is over for now - maybe forever. Lincoln is soon to be Fancy Ford, just like Cadillac was Fancy Olds in the 80's & 90's, and they nearly died over it, and actually Lincoln was outselling Cadillac for the first time in history. What I hear from insiders is that Bill has given up on devoting resources to give Lincoln a clear identity, and is focusing on Jag, Volvo, A/M & L/R to be to Ford what Lincoln used to be - the Premier brands, with RWD and real luxury. And, you see, that's why I'm driving a Lexus Sedan now instead of a Town Car. I still think the Navigator has it goin' on, but the rest of the line is so neglected - doesn't work for me anymore. I don't think this is a good idea either. Instead of Mercury being an unnecessary brand, soon they'll have two unnecessary brands.

Where Ford has another hit right now is in Mazda. Their new line of the 3 & 6 sedans are really cool little cars.
    They have some real style inside & out, some cool glitzy stuff, and they run great. Right now, if I needed a base sedan, small or medium, I'd ignore Ford and buy the Mazda. I bought one recently for my daughter - a 3, and it's really cool - so much better than a Focus, IMO. I bought a 6 for my other daughter who has 2 kids - same story. The Fusion wasn't out then, but the Mazda adds so much style to the equation.
  • duplattduplatt Member Posts: 1
    I had same problem with a Mercury. After 6 - 7 trips to dealer they disconnected a part under the hood ??? Something to do with carburetor I think.
    They said it would not pass an emission test but that fixed the problem.
  • milwserbmilwserb Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 1990 Lincoln Towncar that is truly pristine. Great leather inside, good body outside, but there are two problems. The trunk lid, which the previous owner said he had to slam shut because the power latch didn't work, now goes down until it latches, but will not close, staying a half-inch open. Is there a fuse I can check or some other solution? Secondly, the radio he had put in, does not receive virtually any AM stations. Any ideas? Thanks, -Milwaukee Serb
    Our 94 deck lid stopped closing like it is supposed to a few years ago so I found four screws holding the mechanism that actuates the receiver up and down. I removed the mechanism and connected a couple of wires to the exposed contact points and the receiver went up and down for me.

Perhaps the reason your deck lid will not close all the way is the receiver is stuck in the up position too much.

If you can make contact to transfer power to the receiver, hopefully you can lower it down enabling the deck lid to fit closer. Good Luck.
  • alphaonealphaone Member Posts: 5
    Works and drives great except for annoying problem of randomly blowing instrument cluster fuse . I replace it and a few days later it blows again leaving me with out gages
    and speedo. Has anyone else run into this . Do I have
    to replace complete cluster ?
    Any help appreciated
    What I am about to write, assuredly, will not be in agreement with some of the forum members. Having owned a number of TCs, I have found that these intermittent fuse blowing issues on some of the none critical systems can be eliminated by simply replacing the recommended rated fuse with a higher amp fuse. I would not replace the instrument cluster. The cluster requires a 15 amp rated fuse. Replace the 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp fuse.
  • b52fxrb52fxr Member Posts: 2
    I live near Oklahoma City and have talked to a few dealers here in town about small interior parts for our 95 Town Car. I need a knee bolster and the passenger side sunvisor clip that holds it in place by the rear view mirror. I also need the rear speakers which are JBL. If anyone knows where to get these parts or a good set of replacement speakers that will bolt into the rear deck, I would greatly appreciate it. The interior is light cream colored, but I am not picky at this moment. Again, thank you very much.
    Have a 94 and had to replace the passenger side sunvisor clip. Lincoln dealer ordered it for me and it came in the next day.

JBL are excellent speakers and comparable ones can be bought at Auto Stereo stores near you or check Crutchfield who I know will have speakers for you. Merry Christmas. :)
    I'm thinking about selling the TC to make room for the kid's car. :cry:

What do you folks think I can get for it?

'88 Cartier with wire wheels and auto mirror (the only other option was a sunroof which it does not have). The car is all original (except for all new A/C and the usual stuff like tires, brakes, shocks, wires, etc.) and its all cherry. I'm the second owner, it has been garaged for all but the last year and only has 57000 miles on it.

The various "books" are lower than I would like - needless to say, and I want to know what you trusted friends think. I know things are only "worth" what someone is willing to pay, so... what should I reasonable expect to see?
    Set the asking price at $4500.00.
  • rulisrulis Member Posts: 2
    I work for him. he does know a thing or two that is why he is rich, or he hires the best to know about that.
    he is all right!
    my question is where is the ignition module located on the 1996 town car ???
    anybody know???
  • rulisrulis Member Posts: 2
    i have done this:
    buy the springs from a grand marquis at a yunk yard and replace air bag in rear fits right in!
    $20.00 fix.
    then sell it and buy another one!

that is what i did.
    going on my third now
    I'm going to take a guess that what you want to locate is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). If this is the part that you are looking for, it is under the dash, on the driver's side of the car. Raise the hood and look to the right side of the power brake booster assembly. There you will see the engine control sensor wiring connector and fasteners which hold the PCM to the firewall.
    Thanks for the responce .

This is a great site I will give your suggestion
    a try . Rod
  • milwserbmilwserb Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, buddy. I will try it tomorrow, although it's supposed to be about 10 degrees outside! -MS
    Tried the 20 amp fuse , every thing worked great
    for about an hour and down it went again .

OK now we'll try try 25 amp , it lasted almost
    1/2 hour and the same thing no gages no speedo.

Has anybody experienced this problem ???
    If a one-up sized fuse doesn't help, then you have a short or you have a serious heavy draw on the circuit. You're risking a fire going any bigger than that.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Does anyone have info on what model years, and which trim level, that the Touring Edition was available, say since the 1998 redesign? This is the one with the slightly tighter suspension and dual exhaust, etc.

I'm asking because my brother might be interested in one, since the depreciation on a used Town Car is higher than an LS, plus the Town Car is a sturdy vehicle.

I was able to find a Grand Marquis LSE substantially discounted - seems it's target market dislikes buckets with a console. Maybe the same angle is possible with a Town Car.
    I think the Touring model was available mid year 98. If not, it was 99 for sure. It also had dual exhaust.
    Touring Edition has been labeled "Handling Package" so you may want to include that term as well. Believe the units have a higher rear end ratio i.e. 3.27 to 1 rather than 2.89, dual exhaust, larger tires with stiffer sidewalls, larger diameter stabilizer bars, corner like a locomotive, but ride not as cushy. We like ours. :)
    Agree.

Don't be comforted by the nondescript shorthand name. "Fuse" describes how it works, not why its there. When overloaded, it fuses or burns up. More on burning up later.

The real, functional name of that cheap little plastic thing is "overcurrent protection". Manufacturers determine how much current their wiring and devices can take before burning up (I told you we would revisit "burning up") and put overcurrent protection ahead of it that will fail at less current than will fry the wiring and devices. If you upsize a fuse, like you already have, you've redesigned the "overcurrent protection pyramid" and relocated the weak link to the wiring just after the fuse. It, then, will fail first.

Worst case? Your car, house and anything else flammable and within the influence of a very large fire will be toast.

My advice: NEVER upsize fuses, circuit breakers, overload protection, overcurrent protection, inturruption devices, fused disconnects or anything that sounds like one of those things.

That advice applies especially to your house. It sounds dumb, but a lot of people do it - at great risk and building code violation - and if the insurance adjuster finds out about it - you won't be covered.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I live in a community that has a number of households with people in the 65 to 85 year old age range. The TC was pretty popular but in the last few years, no one has replaced them with new Lincolns. They are disappearing to be replaced by Avalons and Lexus. No Cadillacs, Mercedes, or BMW's. Maybe it will be Hyundai's and Kia's next round for the baby boomers who have their retirement pensions reduced or eliminated.
    "and if the insurance adjuster finds out about it - you won't be covered."

Having been in the Insurance agency business since 1956 I can offer the experience that is NOT true. Penny in fuse box does not negate the terms and conditions of the 1943 standard NY fire policy.

YOU WILL BE COVERED and there is case law to prove it.
    Retirement pensions should not be guaranteed. If guaranteed, by whom? Not me the stock holder. Therefore, plan your own retirement fund & don't depend on your employer to "take care of you". Nothing is for sure for ever. :D
    So, if I'm in New York and I knowingly violate the building code and burn my house down because of it, I'll still be covered? OK, how about if its one of my apartment buildings and, yes, you guessed it, it was full of kids under the age of seven? Is my stupidity and perhaps malice still overlooked? Well, I know you are right and the answer is "YES" but I am just trying to make a point - which is don't risk tampering with upsizing your circuit protection.

I know, I know... this is a car board, so... there was a 1999 Town Car out front the burned too.
    Yes it is. Lots of folks in these parts, go looking for a new Town Car, and come away disappointed. It's just not what it used to be. ONe friend of mine drove Town cars since the 70's - and got a 00. Said Ford had ruined the best car on the planet. Lots of folks here are replacing their Lincolns and Cadillacs both, with Avalons.
    Lincoln : Town Car Signature S
    1998 LINCOLN TOWN CAR SIGNATURE, SUPER LOW MILES, 1 OWN

Miles: 19120 Doors: 4 doors or more
    Transmission: Automatic Interior: Tan
    Engine: 8 - Cyl. Year: 1998
    Warranty: No VIN Number: 1LNFM82W1WY689129
    Get the Vehicle History Report
    Title: Clear Exterior: Tan
    Condition: Used Inspection: Inspected

Options
    Leather Seats Anti-Lock Brakes Driver Airbag Passenger Airbag
    Air Conditioning Cruise Control Power Locks Power Windows
    Power Seats

Why buy a glorified '98 with a Crown Vic engine issued as an '06??? :D
    Yeah, but it's a very glorified Crown Vic. Like the Avalon is a gloried Camry.....
    And the Lexus (you pick the model).
    Hmmm, not sure if that's entirely a good analogy, bn; the Lexi are all RWD cars, more like the Town Car, and all Yotas other than trucks, are FWD cars. There are differences. The IS 300 is one car that is actually a Toyota made into a Lexus for the US. But it is RWD. Lexus until next year, has never been sold in Japan.

But, I digress....