Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I don't know if it's me or something else but contrary to what others think here, I believe the current Town Car is quite an elegant vehicle. It's understated and not ostentatious at the same time.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    This is the ninth year of the same Town Car that began in 1998. The engine is the same found in the commoner's Ford Crown Victoria. The horsepower is 239 while it's major competitor has 300. The engine was 4.6L in 1991 with an AOD four speed. Nothings changed in that department. If "elegant" means no major improvements in nine years, then elegant it is. :(
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    there doesn't have to be anything to make the price of gas go up. In Louisville this week, gas went up.25 cents because Iran MIGHT cut production....come on raising prices on a maybe????
    I hear you about pouring 3 or 4 hundred a month in the tank but from a TC to a subcompact, thats quite a jump especially since you virtually live in your car. Maybe a LeSabre or something with the 3800 in it that gets 30+ on the highway but a subcompact is too big a jump. 'Course ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'd thought used TC prices would drop with the cost of gas but they seem to be holding steady around here....I'm still looking for mine
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    This is not a bad looking car. I talked with a friend that works at the local L/M and he says they are staying with the real wheel using the Montego design. I guess it is damage control before the "new" TC hits the streets. So much for understanding and rumors.
    Man big rebates on new TC's right now.....$7000 + $3000 more if your A-plan.....A-plan price plus rebates = $43,000 dollar TC can be had for $29 and change, not bad :D

Rebates are pretty strong on LS's too
    $29 for a nine year old '98 is way too much.

Perhaps the best reason for buying one is Wixom is to be shut and the future of the TC is ? :(
  • hisselfhisself Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the front passenger door interior panel on a 1995 TC?

I need to replace the window regulator.

TIA

:cry:
  • hisselfhisself Member Posts: 3
    NEVER MIND!!

I got the panel off yesterday. Now, I need to figure out how to change the regulator. It appears to be rivetted in place, and the motor appears rivetted to the regulator.

:cry:

Any ideas?
  • buddygleebuddyglee Member Posts: 44
    I have driven many cadillacs, Olds, And Lincolns but I had a 78 LTC for 12 years before I had to trade it for a mini van :cry: (my lovely wife could not drive the Lincoln.) It was the best car I ever had. Always started, easy to work on if necessary, the best ride, takes a lot of abuse. (I actually got all four wheels off the ground once at the same time going up a steep hill that leveled out abruptly.) :mad: In that 12 years all I ever replaced was the radiator, Distributor, Alternator front bearing, Tires, Brakes, a few nylon bushings here and there, a wing window, and regular tune up parts. Except for the fuel mileage it was a low maintenance vehicle but 10 MPG in the city really isn't that bad is it? :) It was 11 years old when I bought it for 4500.00 dollars. I would like to get another but maybe a Mark III or IV, I liked the length of the TC but I am tired of 4 door cars. I loved the big block 460. Drove mine around for a couple of years without an exhaust hooked up to it, just the y pipe it was a little loud but it would get up and go. When I did put the exhaust back on it it was like a different castrated version of itself, it was very sad. One of these days I will find another and work on restoring it.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    I had a 79 Town Coupe. Couldn't kill the car. Had zero oil pressure at idle put 40000 miles on it like that. I was using it as a beater when I had a long commute. Gas was a lot cheaper then. I loved that car, traction lok rear, and C6 trans. I beat it to death and it just came back for more. I took out the Y pipe and ran straight pipes back. Had a little kick, but would have rather had a 460, in 79 they only had the 400. Plus I have yet to find a car with colder A/C

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• tcboytcboy Member Posts: 3
    Will there be a 2007 Town Car and will it be based on 1998-2006 chassis/frame?
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Yes, and every other part will be based on the 1998-2006 since the car is unchanged.
    Helpful fact enabling me to rebrake and retire my 94. Fortunately it doesn't need interior attention or paint.

That I've driven a Mustang 40 years, there's no problem in driving a Town Car 20. ;)
    Thanks Scooter.

Interesting the info sheet schedules St. Thomas as final assembly plant. Other than larger wheels and final assembly plant - it's another '98. Oh yes, added 3 colors. :P
  • tcboytcboy Member Posts: 3
    do you think quality will be affected by move to Canada?
    I doubt the quality will be much different in Canada. Now Mexico may be different. The trucks my company buys where made in Canada then production went to Mexico. Trucks where coming in with parts installed wrong or missing all together. Finally they shifted production back to Canada and that fixed the problem. :confuse:
    I don't think the vague term "quality" has as much to do with the person assembling the parts as it does with the accountant who selected the supplier of the parts and the engineer who designed them anw whether the manufacturer is focused on excellence to achieve their 20 year plan or just meeting next quarter's goals.

That's why the American manufactures used to say the only quality difference was the superior Japanese workers - then they all built plants here and they were still better.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    Anchor holding leather strap on driver door is loose. Is there an easy way to tighten this my self or must it be repaired at the dealership? The strap referred to is just below the wood trim and serves as a door handle.
    Why not take it in to the dealer?
  • markbrittmarkbritt Member Posts: 1
    Have a mint 1988 Lincoln town car with 40k miles on it. My Dad had it converted from R-12 to R-134a a number of years ago. Unfortunatly he does not drive it very much (about 25 miles a year). Anyway, got it out today. The ac blows very cold until you get up to 50 mph. At that speed, the blow slows down and the air gets warm. If you lift off the gas pedal, the blower blows faster and cold air comes out. It blows cold air up to 50 mph. After than, it will blow ambiant outside air until you take you foot off the gas. What could this be. There is no clicking sounds or anything like that to indicate a mixture door is opening/closing/etc. Any ideas??
    It sounds like you have a vacuum leak.
    sixty mile drive to the nearest dealer, if this is an easy repair I would just do it myself or wait for the next service related issue. Do you know if the door panel snaps out or is it more complicated than that? Many thanks for your initial reply.
    Perhaps you have a local indepenent auto upholstry shop with the knowledge of removing the door panel. Once off, he would be able to either screw it tight or otherwise secure it.

Our T.C. has the same kind of strap, but still tight, however it will be good to know how yours gets repaired. :)
    Thanks for your reply. The car is still on warranty so my first preference would be to repair myself or on next trip
    to the dealer have it repaired or as you suggest take to a repair shop and get a price estimate. I may drive to the dealership in the next few weeks. I will post when the repair is done and how complicated it was.
    Just bought my Town Car 2005 vintage, also own a Cadillac Deville 2004 vintage. After just a short period of owning both cars I can say I really like both equally and enjoy having the choice of one form of comfort versus the other. Are there other owners here that own both cars? If so can you share your experiences, feature preferences, strong and weak points of these two fine cars?
  • kevinekevine Member Posts: 10
    Hi all. I am looking for a right side front 2000 Town Car (Cartier) door. Silver grey pearl metallic in color. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried google but am wary of what might be shipped.
    Thanks
    Kevin (Boston)
  • gromickogromicko Member Posts: 1
    When will the big, boxy Town Car return? 2008? 2009?Something like the 1979 or the 1997.
    The TC birthplace in MI is scheduled to be shut down in less than a year. The best plan is to locate a low mileage 96 or 97 and buy it. We're keeping our 94 with only 129,000 on it.
    "When will the big, boxy Town Car return? 2008? 2009?Something like the 1979 or the 1997. "

About 2 years. It will be called Chrysler Imperial.

Ford decided you actually want a smaller Oldsmobile-styled Volvo.
    First I wish to thank all of you that responded to my question regarding the drive door strap handle. I took the car to the nearest dealership today and it was repaired within about two minutes. There is a snap off cover under which there is a Phillips screw that holds the handle in place.
    The repair was done right on the parking lot. In the future
    I should be able to do this myself if it comes loose again.
    The trick is getting the cover housing off without damaging
    it. I had been under the impression that the handle was anchored in such a way that the top door panel would need to be removed, it was much simpler than that.
    I like it. Good for you. Care to name the dealer and location? :)
    They are on the west coast, would be happy to share if in your part of the country or by direct email if it would be of help to you. Not sure if direct email is permitted in the forums section of Edmunds.
    I guess the Puget Sound area of the NW and maybe even the dealer in Bremerton. I asked because I once shopped the Bremerton Lincoln dealer for a used Town Car. I 'phoned the day before to say I was interested, but when I arrived, the car in question was sitting dirty, dusty, & missing parts in the back lot. You can guess the rest.
    It was not that dealership and don't know them. But can fully appreciate your frustration at having an experience like that. In general, car dealers need to clean up their act both in sales and service. I would enjoy cars even more if I felt better about both the car buying and car maintenance experience. Bottom line on the handle strap issue is that you can do this repair yourself even if you not mechanically inclined. Just be a little careful about how you snap off the housing that covers the Phillips screw.
    While I did live in the Bremerton area years ago when I joined Edmunds forums I now live in Southern california where this all rook place.
  • zubairtalpurzubairtalpur Member Posts: 1
    hi,

can anyone tell me from where i can get 1994 Lincoln Town Csr (Signature Series) Owner's Manual?...

most probably from any free source and in pdf format.

or if anyone 1994 Town Car Owner has it.. can he share it???

thanks.
    There are a bunch of them on eBay.
    Should you be lucky, you will also get a Cross ball point pen with the leatherette case encompassing the manual. :)
  • hemsley1hemsley1 Member Posts: 21
    I was driving down the road the other day and ran over a pot hole, immediately my dashboard went out (it is digital). I hit the top of the dashboard a couple of times and some of the lights came back on. The odometer is back but is stuck at the same mileage and the MPH shows "0" all the time even when im driving. In the corner, that shows how many miles till i run out of gas, says "CO". Does anyone know what causes this or what to do? Any help would be appreciated.
    As most of you know, owner satisfaction is very high with the Town Car. I recently purchased mine and so far have been very pleased. I also own a recent model Cadillac Deville. In total I think the two cars are very competitive to each other. Deville a little more power, Town Car a more
    attractive car (to me). Since I only got my Town Car recently I am tending to drive it more than the Deville. I think Ford has a more competitive model in the Town Car than they are aware and hope they will find a way to save the model. I have not checked but may post a message at the Ford web site repeating substance of this message. I hope other satisfied owners will do the same as a starting point. Let's save the Town Car!
  • gene42gene42 Member Posts: 11
    :) I very much agree with bremertong's assessment of the Town Car. My 2005 TC is the best I have ever owned. It's a matter of taste, of course, but I think it is the most handsome car on the road today. Mechanically, it is quite useful and reliable. It rides with exceptional smoothness and comfort. It has power enough for me but I am a septuagenarian and by law we are only allowed to own TCs. GM's and CVs.

Although this great car will be sorely missed by its loyal owners, especially geezers like me, there doesn't seem to be much hope of saving it from extinction after 2007. We can take some comfort is the likelihood that the discontinued TC will become a valuable antique car.
    I appreciated your post. Although the decisiion may have already been made at the corporate level, sharing your thoughts with the local dealership might also help. The suggestion that your next car might not be a Ford product is the last thing they would want to hear. Although it is very early in the ownership of my Town Car and the decision doesn't have to be made in the foreseeable future, if I had to give up my Cadillac or my Town Car I would probably give
    up the Cadillac before the Town Car, hope the Folks at Ford are reading these posts. My initial experience with the Town Car has been really great.
    Having toured the Wixom plant in 1997 and seen the computer sequential production system in operation, it saddens me to see Ford close that plant and cease building Town Cars after the 2007 model. The Mark VIII should have been continued after 1998, but killing it was a huge mistake. Engineers are not marketing or sales people and that's the problem.
    Has Ford made the final decision to end LT with the 2007 model or is there still the chance they could be persuaded to continue the model? I had the idea that they have all but made the decision but the door to continue was still open a crack.
    Please go to another section of this Forum titled, "Automotive News and Views", drop down to the title, 'Where is Ford Taking Lincoln' and read Post #458, 8/1, by Douglas R.

Then take good care of the TC you have. ;)
  • cdi12003cdi12003 Member Posts: 3
    ok i got a response about ac turning warmer after like 15-20min response said may be blend door behind dash,,,question: if it were the blend door would it not do the same thing on heatmode? when i tried it in heat mode(and yes i liked to have died doing it )heat stayed the same constant heat, but wouldnt it do the same if it were the blend door,,,is this not a tru,im jus doing a rule of thumb or elimination process ,,,ruleing out things ,,because last but not least my next guess might would be the compressor,,,has anyone had the same or similar problem is it common if compressor starts going bad for it to do this,,,after all when the air is cool its nice and lovely but then after 15-20 min then ohhh boy! and we here in the carolinas and most other states during the recent weeks have been dealing with high temptures,,,let me know guys,thanks maestro!!!! :confuse:
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi. . .

I am considering the purchase of a Town Car, probably a 2004 or '05 model, and I'd like to know how well this machine tracks in snowy, icy, conditions with traction control on. I live in the NYC area, where snow can be quite an issue on urban streets before they're cleared.

Any insight, anyone? Please inform! :confuse:
    The taxis in NY are Ford Crown Victorias, the WA State Patrol cars are Crown Victorias, negotiating several Cascade mountain passes and the Town Car is really a luxed up Crown Victoria, so go for it. :)
    They must do resonably well there's a town just south of Detroit that used to use Town Car's as their police cars (they still may I haven't been up there in a while).