Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• tcboytcboy Member Posts: 3
    PJACK:

I have owned 4 Town Cars since 1996 and the 2007 is by far the best one I've driven yet. Consider the Designer model vs. "tarted up" Signature. If you get the navigation system (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) get the Mobile Ease bluetooth option; it works great.
  • panamajackpanamajack Member Posts: 16
    tcboy
    thanks for the information, I'm feeling better about my decision. The Designer model is what I am considering, will post when I get it. thanks again, your post has been most helpful
    Jack
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    Glad to be of help with some information. Get the model that most appeals to you. I think you'll be satisfied.
    I like the appearance of the American cars better than the Japanese. Quality wise the American builders are keenly aware of build quality issues. Once you buy the car keep us posted on your experiences with it so we can share information that will be mutually beneficial. Best wishes.
    Bremer,
    thanks and thanks to all that replied. I bought the 2007 designer series, white choclate (my wife like that althoug I preferre d black, but it is awesome) We test drove the cadillac DTS, infinity m35, toyota avolon and they were all nice, but in the town car I feel like I am royalty. And with a 7K kick back from ford, and a 3K cut for being a costco member, it was hard to beat that deal. It is a looooooot of car for the money. Let me tell you, I called all over northern california and there was hardly any thing left. there were a few signatures, but not many designer series. there won't be any more until next spring and they will roll off the canadian assembly line and will be limited in quantity. I don't care if they do discontinue them, I'm sure as hell happy I got mine. I got the navigation and all the bells and whistles and it does everything but drive for me, and ofcourse, the lexus does that, but it's $60K+ I do like the BMW 7 series, I drove a 2003 and it was fablous, but I read on the beemer chat boards how often, and how long it's in the shop. This town car is outstanding, I haven;t driven it much, my wife is doing that, but I'm no stranger as we rented one three years ago to drive to vegas for my son's wedding, and i was hooked, I've been wanting one for 4 years. Anyway, I'm getting long winded, but I am stoked. I'll continue to post, let me know about your experiences. and thanks again for your feed back
    Jack
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    The 2007 should be very well perfected using a 16 year old engine and transmission in a 10 year old body - you should not have any problems for a very long time. ;)
    Seems like a great choice to me! Think you will be very pleased with your purchase. If you do have any questions or experiences to relate hope you will post here. I enjoy my Town Car and am always eager to share experiences and help other owners enjoy theirs. Hope you enjoy many happy years with your Town Car.
    Bremer and euphonium
    thanks for the posts. The car is great. I like this board, I will check back from time to time and relate my experiences. going to Vegas in Sept., don't know if I can wait that long.
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    Congrats on your purchase. I am jealous. I hope you like the 07 as much as I like my 02 TC (Cartier). I wrecked my first TC (not my fault). The each year of the bubble style has gotten better and better.

I was talking with my salesman (and good friend) and he pointed out the Lincolns in the shop. The TC's were for oil changes and normal maintenance. The LS and Navi's were having all types of problems (mostly electrical). BTW, watch how they fix Navi's, they lift the body off of them to work on the engine. He said the TC and the Grand Marquis very seldom had anything major.
    thanks for the post. Haven't even had a chance to drive it yet, I've been working and driving my Cobra, the wife is driving the TC. Will take it out this weekend, looking forward to it. Glad to hear that they have no problems. My Cobra is an o1 nad I've had no problems.
  • ybm1ybm1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have the same problem with my 1994 TC. Have you found a solution?

yoram_mohr@yahoo.com
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    The first 2008 Town Car rolled off the assembly line in St. Thomas Canada on Tuesday, August 28. It was ice blue, but looked exactly the same as a 2007 that I could tell.

Ford is keeping production down due to having only one shift at St. Thomas.
    where did you see the picture? ice blue sounds like a great color on that car. Have had mine for a few months, but my wife drives it mostly to work, only 3 miles one way, so it isn't being worn out. On week ends I get my chance and it is really luxurious and a great car to drive. two and one half weeks to go and I get to drive it to Vegas for a week and a half vacation. I'm really looking forward to that drive, it will be like sitting home in my living room on my big leather couch. got to read up on all the bells and whistles and espcecially the navagation system.
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    Interesting that you've found out that the first 08 TCs are beginning to roll out. I visited a local dealer yesterday who told me that they don't know when the 08s will be out, but not to expect to see them until mid February. He told me that he can't even order them yet!! Are you sure about your info?
    I know we cannot post links (or pictures, but the pictures are over at blueovalnews.com - go the Forums, and then the section about the Crown Vic/Grand Marqus/Town Car.

The one pictured still does not have it's windshield or grill installed, but it looks ice blue to me. It might be a badly developed picture. I know they have been running test frames for a few weeks - this may just be a test production model, and production starts for consumers later in the year.

Let me try linking it here:

link title
    Great news! Where did you find the information, is there a web address you could share? I have had no real problems with my 2005 Signature Limited but my 2006 Cadillac DTS has been a big disappointment in that it has had multiple electrical problems and so far no accurate diagnosis. May end up that if I continue to want two luxury cars in my garage they will both be Lincolns.
  • americanflag1americanflag1 Member Posts: 4
    interested in buying a Town Car. The salesman took me immediately to the used Town Cars. Finally, when I managed to pin him down, he told me that this Lincoln dealership had received few Town Cars this year. There was only a 3 year old used Town Car in the show room! And this is a top dealership. The Sales Manager came out and told me quite frankly that Lincoln is discontinuing the Town Car. (They are only available as a Special Order next year, and the next year they are being phased out.) But he told me that they are already in short supply and Lincoln is not replenishing the supply already. I was disapointed as I was interested in buying the car, but I do not want a discontinued model. Have others on this forum heard about this? I know the official word was that the car is going to remain in production at the new Canada plant...
    I have read for the last couple of years that they were being discontinued. I emailed lincoln and of course, they denied it, but I'm not surprised. It's a shame. I"m glad I got mine. I can't imagine they would stop the limo.
  • americanflag1americanflag1 Member Posts: 4
    How can they discontinue their flagship car? The car that defines the entire brand? If one rules out the Town Car for a luxury size car, then what else is there? Nothing at Lincoln. I guess one could look to Cadillac. Penny wise and pound foolish.
    The future of Lincoln is vehicles based upon overseas platforms, one way or the other.

That is why you can go down to your Lincoln dealer and buy a Lincoln assembled in Mexico that is based upon a Mazda.

When a company is desperate, they do stupid things like that to survive.
    I found my 2005 Town Car Signature limited in July of 2006 through a car newspaper ad. There were quite a few used, recent model Town Cars at Autotrader.Com last time I checked (few months ago). Many were low miles and recent models with relatively low prices, suggest you look at the web site and listings. Am uncertain about whether Ford will continue the Town Car Line but would suspect even if they don't that parts should not be a problem for several years and the ones on the road may become collector cars in some limited way thus retaing or increasing values.
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    I suppose people like me are partly to blame for the near demise of the Town Car. I've always liked TC, but prior to 1997 I couldn't afford one. After 1997 I could not warm up to the new design - it seemed weird and overdone just for the change's sake. The latest ones are a little more traditional (the smiley facia is mostly gone now), but with the gas prices today, it is a much harder decision. Perhaps if Ford found it in their heart to put an economical diesel under the hood (limo drivers would also like less fuel usage), but that will never happen knowing Ford US' demonstrated dislike for diesels.

I guess I'll just keep hoping that Ford will go closer and closer to the 1997 styling and perhaps one day even put an oil burner inside. :)

I cannot imagine Ford will completely discontinue TC. They own the limo market, and it would be silly to give that up.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi, hwyhobo...

What would really be "radical" for Ford to do would be to offer a Hybrid version of the TC, and adding electronic stabilty control to its feature mix. Of course I'm dreaming here. :(
    Ford is making a mistake in forsaking its TC model, IMHO.
    Oh well...

Peace!<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
    What would really be "radical" for Ford to do would be to offer a Hybrid version of the TC

As long as it is not a "make-believe" hybrid, like what GM has done with the Malibu (2 mpg gain). With the real hybrid, maybe even combined with diesel, it might be quite an attraction.

I am not an expert in hybrids, so I don't know potential issues involved with larger cars. Mercedes seems to keep its distance from the hybrids. Perhaps there is a technological reason. One way or the other, Ford has an opportunity to strengthen its position instead of just running away and giving its market to someone else. I can bet you that if Ford does leave an opening, the Japanese will not wait long before entering it.
    I totally agree with the idea of a Town Car as a hybrid, my 2005 Town Car already gets around 29 MPG highway and 20 MPG in town so even 20% improvement would be a big step forward. I also own a Cadillac DTS which gets 26.5 MPG Highway and about 19.5 MPG in town. Given the fact that the Lincoln is 400 lbs heavier than the Cadillac, T.C. already
    has a substantial fuel economy advantage over DTS. While the DTS has a little more power the lower fuel economy is not enough to justify the lower fuel stats.
    Maybe we should work as marketing and design consultants for Ford. Anybody's got an application handy? :D
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    The Town Car is not being discontinued, at least not for the next 2 years. I have read several articles and they have switc hed assembly plants. They are now being made at the same plant in Canada that makes the Mercury Grand Marquis. There was a hicup in production while the switch was in progress, this would result in shortages for a while but the first one rolled off the new assembly line recently. If you go to Google and do a search on the Town Car you should be able to find these articles.

Ron
    I believe change is coming in the auto industry and particularly the North American segment of it. I think the Japanese at the moment have a better comprehension of what's
    needed but the North Americans will have to catch up or suffer loss of market share in the future. My guess is that
    the North americans get it and it's just a matter of whether the catching up is fast enough. Posts like yours raise good questions and the awareness of people in general and particularly of those that read these posts.
  • jorge5011jorge5011 Member Posts: 2
    Hello I have recently replaced both air bags on my town car I turned the suspension on and it pumped up but one side is higher than the other. Has anyone else experienced this problem im curious of how to fix it thanx
    Check the level after your mother in law gets out of the back seat. ;):)
  • jorge5011jorge5011 Member Posts: 2
    I cant get her out of the back seat shes stuck
    just returned from a trip to Vegas. I live in the Bay Area and the trip was 10 hrs. plus. Have had my 07 town car for about 3 mos, this was the first long trip. It was fantastic. I can't beleive the luggage I got in the trunk. That is one reason I bought this car as my wife and I travel a bit and I wanted a trunk where I can get all my luggage in. It did that and then some. it had pleny of zip and the handling was great. Great comfort and luxury. The auto pilot worked fine as I used that the majority of the time. the milage was good as I peaked out at 26 mpg. In Vegas, it seemed as though every other car was a town car. Of course there were a lot of town car limos in every shape and color, but there were also a lot of private town cars, Mercury marquis and the ford version. The only complaint I had was that I thought the navigation system sucked. It seemed to stear me to the longer routes. I have taken this trip before and there were shorter routes to take. When it wasn't stearing me in the longer direction, it was just plain sending me in the wrong direction. Don't know what I can do for that. I don't know if I have an older version. anyone else notice this problem?
  • kargkarg Member Posts: 20
    I bought a one-owner 2003 Cartier L at the end of August and have been absolutely THRILLED with everything about this car.

I have questions for those who own an '03 or newer and live in the snow belt areas:

How does it handle in the winter?
    How well does the traction control work and have you ever pushed it to its limits - in a safe trial-type way?
    Do you replace the all season radials with snow tires?

I believe this car, with having 65K on the odometer - may still have the original Michelin tires - after reading some posts on tirerack. Has anyone replaced with the cheaper Kuhmo brand and if so - results? I'm wondering if I could go through this winter with those being new tread and maybe buying snows next winter.

Thanks - for any input!

I love this car and get some many compliments!
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    You may have a defective or debris blocked solenoid, or the electrical connector is not fully positioned on the solenoid at the side of the car that is not lifting. To check to determine if the solenoid is defective, switch the solenoids from one air bag to the other.
  • ortautoortauto Member Posts: 13
    I've had a Town Car for a few months and can't find anything on the web. Registration says 2004 Ultimate, and the sidechrome says Limited. It has everything except the Nav. system and has no modifications outside factory installed items.
    And your VIN is - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -?
    Thanks for your reply, and help. Vin is
    ILNHM83WX4Y654268. To clarify, I'm trying to find out exactly what LTC model this is. I cannot find any reference to Ultimate Limited so my only thought is that it may be a Signature Limited with all the options and some how an error on the paperwork, strange as that sounds.
    The vehicle is a 2004 Town Car, Ultimate, Limited Edition.
    Thanks for any of you who tried to find any information on it. This is my first LTC, and I've finally found something better than my old Grand Marquis.
    My 2005 Town car now has 25000 miles on it and is warranted
    to the end of April of 2009. Am wondering whether I should start shopping for an extended warranty now or wait until near the end of the original warranty? My Ford dealer has mentioned that I can buy the extended warranty up to the last day before the original warranty expires with the only penalty for waiting the annual increase in across the board premiums. MY QUESTIONS ARE: Should I wait or purchase ahead of time, and should I consider a different warranty company than Ford who are the only ones who could service the car under a Ford warranty. Is there a Ford dealer that discounts these Ford extended warranties that other Lincoln owners know of and can recommend? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Warranties you are considering are nothing more than mechanical failure insurance. There have been some warranty companies who in the past have gone out of business and retained the unearned premium without honoring any claim. If you must have an Extended Warranty, buy from Ford, however, it is recommended to wait until the last minute to buy for what happens if you buy now, your car is in a crash and has to be replaced. Getting a R.P. is sometimes time consuming.

From my point of view, having had over 135,000 on our TC, I would forego an extended warranty. Now if you had an XJ8, that's another story. ;)
    Many thanks for your reply. I have owned two Wynns' warranties one on a 1998 Cadillac Deville than on a 2004 Deville. When I traded my 2004 Deville for a new DTS, Wynns' gave me a prorated refund of about 80% of the warranty purchase price on the 04. Wynns also did the same when I traded my 1998 for the 2004 Deville. I tend to agree with the idea of waiting to the last minute to purchase an extended warranty even though it means paying ten to twenty percent more for waiting to the end of the original warranty period. Should the car be totaled in an accident most reputable extended warranties would give a prorated refund for the unused portion of the warranty.

I gather that you have very few problems with your T.C. after driving it over 135,000 miles. What if any repairs has the car needed and at approximately what miles? How many miles did your original tires last? Brakes? From most every thing I have heard T.C. is a very reliable car in all
    model years.
    Bremertong: Listed below is perhaps more than you want to know, but I keep detailed records for each of my vehicles.

Lincoln Repair History

27 Aug 94 Purchased New
    14 Jun 95 16,950 Hitch & &#145;Trans cooler installed
    26 Dec 95 24,959 Wiper motor (under warranty)
    05 Aug 96 32,241 A/C fan speed controller (warranty)
    25 Apr 97 43,145 D/side rear Door control (warranty)
    27 May 97 44352 Align front end
    25 June 97 50,148 Replace Windshield
    17 July 97 50,830 Bosch Platinum Spark plugs
    29 Jan 98 58,777 Align Front end
    31 Jan 98 58,922 Replaced coolant
    06 Feb 98 59,756 Four Michelin X 1 tires
    15 Jun 98 67,439 Recharged A/C
    27 JUN 98 70,965 Changed transmission fluid & filter
    28 July 98 70,970 Rear loaded calipers & new rotors
    24 May 00 81,541 Front brake pads
    28 Nov 01 98,000 Replaced pinion, bearings, & spider gears
    26 Dec 01 99,069 Spark plug wires replaced
    08 Apr 02 101,605 R& R left lower ball joint + alignment
    17 Jun 02 102,520 A/C compressor & dryer + recharge
    05 May 04 108,061 Replaced original battery
    22 Jun 04 108,597 Replaced MAF Sensor
    28 Feb 07 132,042 Replaced Transmission Fluid
    15 Jun 07 133,401 Bilstein front shocks

Hope the above helps. ;)
    Blessings, :)

Euphonium
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This is very valuable information and I very much appreciate your taking the time and effort to share it. Am I to assume that the transmission has never had any major problems that involved opening sealed parts? As you are probably aware, transmissions and engine re builds are among the most expensive car repairs. If I can speculate on not having any major problems with the drivetrain including the engine and transmission I will be much less concerned about an extended warranty unless I decide to keep the car around the end of the original warranty period. In that I drive T.C. between 4000-7000 miles a year I would not be anywhere near the mileage you have reported for many years. This gives me more assurance about not putting a high priority on an extended warranty. Do you have an approximate running total of what you have spent on all the listed repairs? If so would be helpful to have just as a basic guideline of maintenance costs for this vehicle over many years. If I can answer any questions regarding my 2005 T.C. I hope you will ask as I will be happy to assist in any way that I can, thanks again!
    Good Morning: Happy to be helpful.

Both the engine and transmission have never had any major problems. I change the oil and filter myself and have always used Mobil 1 in the engine. The transmission gets the fluid and filter change at the dealer. The major repair was to the rear axle. I should have changed its fluid sooner, but the Lincoln Maintenance Manual said to change it at 100,000. I waited too long. That bill was over $1,100, but after showing the Lincoln factory rep what their Maintenence Manual said, she agreed it was misleading so Lincoln paid for 1/2 the cost. As a broken W/S is not a mechanical expense I did not list it in the $3,990 total you requested. The $3,990 assumes the total cost of over the $1,100 for a new rear axle assembly.

Recommendations: Use a synthetic engine oil, & depending on the miles on the car to date, change the fluids in the tranny and rear axle and use Mercon V in the tranny. :)

Euphonium
    Thanks very much for the additional info. I generally change oil when the oil monitor reaches 40% or six months whichever comes first. Oil changes done at the dealership.
    The idea of using a synthetic makes sense for longer oil life and engine longevity. Given the number of years that you have owned your car and your expense I can understand why you have chosen not to bother with an extended warranty.
    On a 2000 TC, I had the climate control to go out it was about $350.00 and a idle control sensor for $150 or so. until it was wrecked at 107+K. My current 2002 with 70k, I have replaced the drivers seat motor track $350 and the climate control went out last night. Other than normal maintenance, I have not spent much at all on either of the TC's I have had. That was the reason I bought TC's. The LM salesman I bought it from told me to look at the cars in the shop and what was being done. TC and Grand Marquis were in for oil changes and the rest of the Lincoln line was in for more major stuff.

My point, you may can invest the money for the warranty and earn interest and pay out of pocket for the repairs and probably come out ahead. They very seldom break down.

Just my experience.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi, izaclown1...

I've learned much while subscribing to many threads on here, in these forums...I've always admired Lincoln TCs, and have wondered if I should get a certified pre owned one, circa 2005 plus, instead of a small sub-compact like the Nissan Versa, etc. I've read that TCs are built like tanks, so to speak, which is why so many livery car services employ them for their driveabouts. The one thing I find lacking in Town Cars is the lack of electronic stability control though, for those of us that live in the snow belt. I wish Ford would pay more attention to the TC. The company seems indifferent to it. That's a shame... :( Ya think the suits at Lincoln read these messages here? Hmmmmm...

Peace!<-AladdinSane- :shades: -
    Ya think the suits at Lincoln read these messages here?

After more than a quarter century in corporate world I have grown rather cynical and doubt that many suits even know what an Internet forum is, provided they ever use a computer beyond PowerPoint slides, Excel, email, and Meeting Maker.
    I have seen some other comments (not sure if here or else where) the traction control does fine in light to regular snow conditions. In SC, we do not get that white stuff called snow so I cannot vouch for them. I have enjoyed my TC's. The first TC was replaced a 92 Conti.
    Not having ESC, but having experienced our TC driving in a lot of snow to ski resorts with just Traction Control - it works very well. Our snow driving is limited to the Cascade Range from Mt. Bachelor, OR to Whistler, BC. Only if there were more horses under the hood! :(
    Thanks very much for the information on your T.C.s and their repair history. My car has had no problems during my ownership so far. I have in the past bought extended warranties, but based on the repair histories I've read here on T.C. I may at least wait until the end of my original factory warranty. The idea of putting the cost of the extended warranty in an income bearing account to self fund the repairs is a good suggestion and alternative.