Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• donnie3donnie3 Member Posts: 5
    98 LTC warms up,drive all over(without shuting down) then ya shut down for 2 min and low and behold itWont start,it cranks. After 15 min it starts the temp guage reads about a hair over half. Any suggestions will be greatly accepted.
  • ortautoortauto Member Posts: 13
    I had a similar problem with a Grand Marquis. It turned out to be a module in the computer control. Symtoms were car would start cold, but when hot would not. If I let the car sit for half an hour it would start. My mechanic told me that if continued to wait that one of these days it wouldn't start and I'd need a tow. Lots of garages will simply replace the computer, big expense, but try and find a mechanic that will replace the module for one tenth the cost if that's what it is.
  • jim2003tcjim2003tc Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I got my 03 tc 2 years ago and love it. My first Lincoln was my Dad's 71 Continental. Believe me, I can parallel park! I bought an 89 Town Car after that and loved it. Few problems (tranny and temp control). Wish I'd kept it. I owned a lot of other cars between and don't miss any of them except my BMW 2002s. Love those cars. SOOO small today though. I was shopping for other cars before I bought the 03 tc. I liked new Honda Accord coupes and used Infiniti Q45s, but when I ran across this car I just went out and bought it. I'm not good at buying and selling cars. From reading the forums, I guess I'm not alone. It's such a pita. Anyway, the 03 tc is big, powerful and comfortable and I like that. Plus good gas mileage on regular gas. Another plus is that it's basically the same car as a Ford Crown Vic or Mercury Marquis. Heck, I would've bought one of those if it had all the "bells and whistles". Love the leather (I have a hairy dog), stereo, atc, sunroof and I couldn't find other cars that offered that at the price. The ride is firm, almost truck like and I like that too. The old tc's did the front end bob up and down all the time so you felt like you were on a boat. I kind of like that old school ride though. All in all, I'm very happy with this car. I'll drive it til it drops. Thanks to our hosts for the automatic spell check and this site. The only probs I have are power steering pumps and minor squeaks. Town Cars Rock!
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Howdy, Jim...
    I read your message on here, and my hat's off to you for getting that '03 TC...
    I've always considered the TC to be a retro vehicle for a forward thinking driver. Hope that makes sense to you. It sure does to yours truly. Where are you located, Jim? Get any snow? I always wonder how the TC handles on snow and icy streets, WITH its traction control. That's the only thing that I'm wary of with the TC. I've considered purchasing a CPO TC, '03 plus, and I really don't care if anyone thinks it's a grandpa's/grandma vehicle...I just dig its look. It may be old school, but along side some of today's vehicles this machine (the TC) looks and runs like a tank, so to speak...strong and ready to take on any type of street or road. Cool.
    Happy Holidays!
    Town Cars DO rock, mate...They're da bomb...
    Peace!<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    wonder how the TC handles on snow and icy streets

Our '94 TC has made scores of ski trips on snow and ice from Mt. Bachelor to Whistler in the last 13 years & I've never had to hang iron. It has Michelins and Traction Control, however the 300 h.p. Mustang engine would be appreciated. ;)
  • 95viii95viii Member Posts: 1
    I'm pretty sure that i blew an air line because both front wheels are touching the fenders just about, my question is does any one have a scamatic of where the airlines run or could any one draw it out for me and send it to starlitessoul@yahoo.com i would be ever so grateful.

as for the question about the town car , mine is a 95 mark VIII and I fell in love with it the first time I drove it never felt more safe
    I didn't know the Mark VIII had air shocks on the FRONT.

Our TC has them only on the rear. I recently replaced the front shocks with a pair of Bilsteins.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Cadillac sells "Certified" cars that include a 100k 6 year (from date car was first put into service) bumper to bumper warranty. Is there something like this for "certified" used Lincoln Town Cars? Thanks!
    What exactly is happening with the Town Car? The dealers don't even know or are not telling. You can't get a 2008 brochure. Is the Town Car being dropped totally or is it simply being built somewhere other than Wixom? Does anybody have any information? The Internet is worthless -can't find any facts. I read earlier on this Forum that there IS a 2008. Is there really?
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi...

I've read that the '08 TC WILL appear, on a limited basis, sometime after January, '08...maybe as late as February. Something to do with the plant where it's produced, but it doesn't bode well for this model's overall "future" I suspect.

Peace!<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
    Thanks for the note. I suppose that Lincoln as well as Cadillac will eventually downsize the DTS and Town Car into what will be a luxury mid-size car like the STS. I guess I'll start looking around for an '07 certified Town Car in the spring. I rode in an '05 Livery model with 209,000 miles on it earlier in the week in New Jersey and it rode like a new car so I'll keep my '07 till I drive it to the junkyard.
    On another subject Bremertong, I've been looking at replacing the '03 Deville with an '07 certified TC after riding in three of them in NJ that had over 200,000 miles and rode like new cars -no squeaks, no rattles, dead quiet etc. Much quieter than my Deville. The thing that bothers me is the less front and rear legroom than the Deville. Have you had any problems with your TC vice the DTS that you have? Do the power pedals increase legroom? The cars in NJ had lots of rear seat space but I assume that they may have been L models. Even my '06 Impala (which I sold yesterday just to cut down one car) had more front legroom than the TC. I haven't driven a TC yet but would like your opinion. Do you see any real difference between it and your DTS? I don't have any problem with my Deville -it is fine. You had an older Deville too as I recall.
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    The reason for the delay in the 2008 Town Car is that they have switched assembly plants and will now be made in Canada at the same plant that produces the Grand Marquis. Edmunds has some info on the 2008 which can be found at

http://www.edmunds.com/lincoln/towncar/2008/index.html
    I sat in an '03 Cartier. No problem with leg room in front. I'm sold.
  • jworthy74jworthy74 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 99 lincoln town car with about 70k miles on it. I noticed recently that when I'm driving, the turn signal sound(clicking) comes on at different times, but the arrows do not. Has anybody else had or heard of this.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I haven't been in this forum for a while so my apologies for the delay in answering your question. The DTS feels more like a performance sedan and the Town Car like a luxury sedan. While I like them both
    it is a bit hard to pick but if i could have only one would probably pick the T.C. over DTS, It has a more quiet ride although the DTS has superior paint and door insulation. The adjustable pedals are a small but significant help to me in the T.C. The power in the DTS is noticeably greater but the T.C. has more than enough power in almost every driving situation. The DTS has very poor fuel economy averaging about 21.5 miles to the gallon on Premium, the T.C. gets around 23 average and only takes regular which is a big advantage over DTS in a time of high fuel prices.
    Recently was the victim of hard sell marketing from Onstar, was getting calls every day trying to sell me various additional features. As a result of this experience I will not pay the monthly premium of $ 16.95 per month when the first years free service ends. When I first got the DTS it had various electrical problems and Onstar couldn't diagnose any of them (advertises it can). The take on Onstar is that DTS needs a better Onstar system and my experience with T.C. is it doesn't need an eqivalent of an onstar at all, it has been bullet proof reliable in the 18 months that I've had it it now has a little over 26,000 miles on it and the DTS with about 5500 miles on it has been anything but bullet proof. My apologies for not responding sooner and if I can answer other questions please let me know with another post, best wishes
  • 88lincoln88lincoln Member Posts: 1
    I had a quick question and required some help on an issue with my 88 Town Car. I'm having a problem with the HVAC system, every setting doesn't work, and the ones that do work spuratically. I know that vacuum servos control the blend doors, and that these may go bad, but I can hear the noise of the vacuum while switching controls. Now, the blower motor works on all setting except one, where it seems like electricity is getting cut to the motor. Does the ATC unit itself with the controls on it go bad. I believe this is a common problem with these cars, my parents had one as well with this issue but never got it solved. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :sick:
    Thanks so much for the note. I drove an '07 TC the other day and it was quieter than my '03 DeVille and suprisingly maneuverable. I thought with the rear wheel drive it would feel cumbersome but it handled very well, just about the same as the DeVille. Frankly I'm not fond of the tacked on grill on the DTS (My '03 looks a lot better) and you aren't the only one who has been having problems with DTSs. The CU reliability of the Town Car looks like a Lexus. I'll be getting rid of the '03 sometime this summer. The 6 year warranty runs out in October and I don't want either a Town Car or Cadillac that isn't under warranty. I'll get an '07 Town Car in June or July. My OnStar needs to be changed to digital and the dealer does this for $15 plus a mandatory year's worth of OnStar. I've kept it up for 5 years and have never used it once. I'll let the next owner worry about changing it over and paying for it. I think it is a massive rip off and am glad that all I'll have to pay with the TC is satellite radio.
    I agree with your findings about the DTS and the Towncar. I have been very pleased with mine in the 18 months I've owned it, bottom line is it feels like a luxury car and the DTS like a performance sedan. I am almost certain to shut down Onstar when the one year free service is up in the spring so we are in agreement on that issue as well. My only concern now is that Lincoln may discontinue the model after limited production in 2008. I don't think it is a major concern in that I will probably keep my T.C. for several more years and if Ford survives it will probably be introducing at least one Lincoln to succeed
    or replace the T.C. The fuel economy factor is another reason to pick T.C., it is over ten percent more fuel efficient than DTS and has more than enough power. Keep us all posted as you proceed with your model change. I have very much appreciated your comments on both cars and models.
  • panamajackpanamajack Member Posts: 16
    I haven't posted in a while. Have had my 2007 TC since mid last year. My wife drive's it, but I drive on weekends and on vacation. I am glad as hell I got it before they discontinued. You can drive your BMERs, Mercedes, and whatever, but this TC is a true luxory car - just like the limos you see all over Honolulu an Vegas, don't see too many BMW and mercedes limos. Anyway, even if gas gets to be $5 a gallon, and it will, I'm still in love with the TC. It's even more comfortable than sitting in my living room couch and IMHO, best looking luxory car/limo out there.
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    The Towncar has not been discontinued, they have switched assembly plants and are now using the same assembly plant as the Grand Marquis in Canada. This switch did cause a delay and production on the 08 began in January.
  • douglasrdouglasr Member Posts: 191
    Town Car production began again at St. Thomas. The first car rolled off the line January 10, and sold to local dealer Bruce Damochelle Lincoln. Town Car should survive for three more years, unless Ford Motor's efforts at revival flounder, in which case St. Thomas is on the discusion list for closure/idling.

The Washington D.C. Auto Show still displayed the Town Car, albeit without much fanfare. The car had been built at Wixom and sold to Ford Motor. On the first day of the show, event staff at Lincoln merely displayed the window sticker on a nearby stand. The Mark S occuppied the prominent position and attention of Lincoln people. Yet TC is alive and well, and as a 2009 model should see some improvements.

Since Imperial will not see the light of day, and the Nardelli team is remiss in uprating the 300, Town Car can still capture many buyers for traditional RWD customers. Fortunately Lincoln did not cede this market as well to its competition.

DouglasR

(Sources: Ford Motor Company; Edmunds Inside Line)
    You say "Town Car should survive for three more years"

The present Town Car began in the Fall of 1997. So, are you saying we will wait until 2011 before a new style is offered?

The last "new & improved" TC was 2003.

What is to justify our patience now and in 2011?

Your posts are appreciated. :) Thank you, Euphonium
    I am also wondering if T.C. will survive and it would be appreciated if anyone that has information on this will come forward and share it with us. If T.C. could add some of the high tech features found on my Cadillac DTS and perhaps tweak the HP. and torque
    about 10 percent I think they would have Cadillac on the the defensive. Even as it is I prefer my 2005 T.C.
    to my 2006 DTS.
  • izaclown1izaclown1 Member Posts: 118
    That has been my main complaint with the TC's. The engine could be stronger. The higher tech goodies would be nice as well. They have always been several years behind the industry in making high tech sound systems and gadgets standard. How long has a cd player been a standard in the other manufacturer's cars. Ford has only started in the past few years. Up until recently they still had tape players as standard and cd optional. Even the Cartier/ Limited models really did not have many items different that the other TC packages. The main things was the heated seats and dual exhaust.
    I'd like to see the TC with a Tachometer. Our '95 T Bird has had one since new.
    The instant mpg read out was nice in my 94 Conti, The TC only has the over all mpg.
    Far as I'm concerned the more electronic goodies the more complex the car is and reliability suffers. I just had the DeVille in for a faulty sensor for the automatic HVAC system. Hot air kept blowing out of the right center air vent. It was fixed under warranty but I never had any problems with my old Buicks with manual HVAC. I never looked at the Tach on any car I've ever had and they all had tachs. I can get a tach on my DeVille by pushing buttons but so what. The things that I consider important and aren't offered on the TC but are standard on the Luxury II DTS are heated windshield washer fluid and auto dim headlights (it used to be called an Autronic Eye on the '53 Olds 98 my parents had). Perhaps Ford just doesn't care about competing with anyone with the TC. Much of their sales is to livery companies and they offer a big comfortable car. That is enough for me.
    You are dead on right about the more goodies, the more complex and repairs. TC had some other goodies I have read about like moisture sensing wipers, but the only used it for a year or two. I like the auto-on headlights and the auto-dim would be nice. Heated fluid would also be nice. I use the de-ice fluid in the winter around the south since we do not get that cold for that long of a stretch. Fords have problems with the auto climate control also. Even car I have had has had at least one problem with it. That includes 2 TC's and a Villager (I know Nissan).
    For a while this forum was so quiet that I only occasionaly checked to see if there was anything new but now seems to have sprung to life and hope it stays that way! My 2005 Town Car, a Signature Limited does not have a tachometer, my DTS does but don't really look at it that often so have mixed feelings about the need. My DTS has a bunch of electronic add ons and I don't use many of them.
    The T.C. has a six disc C. D. changer in the dash board which is nice as does the DTS, both cars came with sun/ moon roofs which is a nice feature. My T.C.
    came with Aluminum wheels with lots of spokes which gather dirt quickly and are hard to keep up with. I am thinking of adding chrome wheels to make for a better
    appearance and wondered if getting them at a tire store would be as good a place as buying from the dealership, does anyone have thoughts, information or experience with this?? We have a Les Schwab tire store about two miles from where I live and have looked at their chrome wheels but am of course always concerned about messing something up in putting an after market wheel on the car. The Chrome wheels offered by Lincoln are not all that attractive and expensive. Lincoln added chrome wheels standard with the 2006 model and they do improve the appearance of the car quite a bit.
    The main problem of after market wheels is they are most sought after by thieves.

Your neighborhood wrecking yard can get on the computer with their cohorts and find you a set of wheels from an 06.
  • douglasrdouglasr Member Posts: 191
    ...TC is still alive and well, despite Mr. Field's efforts to kill it. Last time I was in Manhatten, driving through the Lincoln Tunnel, I counted 42 Town Car's going the opposing direction out of Manhatten. Only a few of them were more than 3 years old. So the market is still healthy for that kind of rwd car.

Lincoln should also consider building a new Presidential Limousine, as it has been 20 years since the White House has taken delivery of a new Lincoln. Cadillac is clearly on the ascendancy, and a decade ago Lincoln passed Cadillac in part because of TC popularity. If Lincoln is not to cede more sales, TC must be revamped and revived. The "placement" of a new Town Car based Presidential Limousine would help the acceptance of Lincoln once again. It's a nice piece of international advertising worth the$1mn price-tag to Ford.

...Mr. Press at Chrysler is already making noises that his firm is going to re-enter markets they have neglected. It doesn't take much to figure out where Nardelli/LaSorda/Press will go with that when the SRT8 puts out 425Bhp in top form, and easily can blow the doors off a TC in lessor tune. Imperial can't be far behind. (No, not the one they just cancelled...but the second varient they are working on.) So Bill & Alan have a chance to revive our favorite RWD chassis. Bentley is still using an engine that is essentially 50 years old, so there is nothing wrong with uprating the current TC. It still has long legs left within it.

It's only too bad that the car gets short shrift at the Auto Shows....a revamped interior and uprated engine would do wonders.

DouglasR
    Thanks very much for your suggestion of a junk yard, we don't have many in the small community where I live. Never say never but I live in a small town and have my cars garaged when not in use, live in a private community so the odds are not too great that the wheels would be stolen. If buying after market wheels my main concern would be adaptability of the wheels to my car. I have assumed that size itself is not the only criteria that determines whether if will be
    a perfect fit for my particular car, but not sure. It has been raining every day here so have not checked with the local tire dealer yet, will post results if I make the change.
    Check out tirerack.com. After entering your car's year, make, & model you will be amazed to see what your chrome wheel options are. Have fun. :)
    Thanks for the tip, will check out. I can see why T.C. added chrome wheels in 2006 and 07, looks as if it is now pretty common in even lower quality cars and they do really add quite a bit to the appearance of the vehicle. My main purpose is to get something attractive that will be easier to maintain than my present wheels. Not an urgent item but hopefully a fun project.
    The easiest cleaning wheel cover in my experience was the Mexican sombreo style of the Cadillac wheel cover used in the late 40's the early 50's. Swish, swish and they were clean. This was when the Cad emblem included the ducks. :)
    My 2006 Cadillac DTS has a nice looking aluminum wheels that are much easier to clean than my 2005
    Town Car. Many thanks for giving me the tire track web site lead. I did look and was very impressed with the offerings. My only concern would be that If there was a problem after installation that there might be a hassle about who was responsible and if unresolved would not be covered by my Lincoln warranty. Chrome wheels seem to really have become popular recently and even the low end cars seem to have them a good deal of the time, I had them on my 2005 Mercury Sable LS and they were very easy to keep clean and looked good. I very much prefer the T.C. to the Sable but the wheels were a nice feature. I will take my time with all this as I am watching the economy closely and am feeling a bit reserved about
    spending money on a very nice but not essential add on to a perfectly gorgeous Town Car, the wheels are about the only obvious feature they could have improved on in the 05 Signature limited model year. Lincoln management evidently agreed in that the 06 models put chrome wheels on as standard equipment.
  • ben4457ben4457 Member Posts: 4
    if i were you i would consider a 97 towncar. its made better with less problems in a long run. i my self love the town cars, had two of them a 98 made me 486K miles, and my current one 2000 has 268k miles, both great cars never ever any problems. i use those cars as fleet. ( limousine service) in new york.
    few months ago my speed control went out on a 00 towncar, any ideas what it might be, thank you
    noticed resently that whenever its cold outside my car has problems iddleing. it starts fine but does not have full rpm, its like going to die. i have to keep my foot on the gas pedal for few minutes, until gets warmer, and than its still not fully powered, maybe after 10, 15 min when the temp goes to 1/4 on the gauge than the normal rpm kicks in, and works great. any ideas what could it be?, thank you
    Possibly the mass air flow sensor. Both my 2000 and my 2002 both had the same problem. It is about $150-200 installed by the dealer.
    thank you, thats what i thought, and i will do it my self it 65 bucks for the sensor
    If I floor the accelerator on my T.C. there is an approximately one second delay until the power reaches the wheels I have also noticed this on a few Grand Marquis I drove before deciding on the T.C.
    The power delivery on the Three Devilles I have owned including the present DTS have been almost instantaneous. I wonder if this is a characteristic of Ford power trains or what may be the difference in these two different brands of car. The delay occurs even if I use the button on the shifter to put the transmission in third. I actually prefer the Lincoln transmission over the Cadillacs in that it has real braking power on steep down grades where as the Devilles require lots of braking even in Third gear. I assume the delay has something to do with product design and wondered if anyone could explain in laymen terms what that is.
  • monticellorobmonticellorob Member Posts: 8
    I just read you post on Edmunds about the air conditioning problem you were having with
    you Town Car. Mine is doing the same thing.

The evaporator and drier both feel cool when you put your hands on them. However,
    regardless of the temp setting the heater seems to blow. It is as if the blend door is
    stuck to block the cool air from coming in and allowing the heat to come in from the
    heater core.

Did you find a solution to your problem? If so, what was the fix? My email is autoteach@hughes.net

Thanks
    I noticed in the Ft. Worth paper Saturday that a Lincoln-Mercury dealer's (Manuel Lincoln Mercury Ft. Worth) ad showed a photo of a 2008 Town Car with a bubble next to it that said "Last Ones!". Do they know something we don't? Those of you with TCs ought to ask your dealer if the is the last year for the Town Car. It is not going to help resale value. By the way, the same ad said "Save $8,000 off MRSP" under the TC illustration.
  • gyrene40gyrene40 Member Posts: 4
    I might be too late responding, but anyway, here goes. I just replaced a 1996 T/C Signature series. Had 163,500 miles on it. Only problems encountered in over 90,000 of driving it was a blown air bag, blown intake manifold, ( original was made of plastic ), and just had the ball joints replaced. ( originals were non greasable). No other problems encountered in 7 years of ownership. Highway milage averaged 25-27 mpg, @70 mph with A/C running. In town varied between 17 & 20 mpg. And, best of all is that air ride. Sorta like riding in a Greyhound. Can't beat it. Just bought an '03 Cartier with 60k on it. Contacted the original owner, who gave me the entire service history. No problems ever encountered with the '03. Hope it does as well as the '96
    Just purchased an '03 T/C Cartier. Can anyone give me a list of the additional equipment on a Cartier that isn't on a Signature, or Executive model? Formerly had a '96 T/C Signature Series with over 165k on it. Hope the '03 gives as good service as the '96 did.
    I hope owners will read the Edmunds review of 2008 Lincoln Town Car. I was surprised at many of the statements and opinions given. I will state just one to get the discussion started, the average fuel economy I get in my 2005 T.C. is around 20 + city and around 29 highway. The Edmunds review is approximately 40% lower both city and highway. There were too many other statements and opinions cited for me to feel comfortable about the objectivity of the test drive.
    To be sure T.C. is not a sports car but it handles a lot better than the review indicates. I am not going to state that I know i'm right about this difference about
    T.C. but only ask other owners to read the Edmunds review under 2008 Lincoln Town Car and post your own driving experiences here. We do have a vested interest in that giving Town Car a reputation as stated in the review could well cause prospective buyers to go elsewhere and lower the cash and trade in value of our cars. My experience with my T.C. has been very good to this point and must take exception to much of what was said in the review. I hope other owners will take the time to post their actual experiences with T.C. here.
    Signature Series
    Sriver/Passenger 8 way power seats
    Memory mirrors
    Garage door opener
    electronic mirrors'compass group
    steering wheel with center horn and audio'temp control buttons
    snoflake aluminum wheels
    Alpine Audio System with Premium AF/FM stereo/cassette

CARTIER SERIES
    In addition to Signature Series
    Exclusive Premium leather seat trim
    Heated front seats
    Analog clock
    Dual exhaust
    Gold pckage
    16 inch Cartier chrome aluminum wheels

I apologize for having only the 1999 brochure from which the above was taken.
    Suspect the 03 Cartier has the disc over the casette. Not much changes with Lincoln from year to year.

Anyway, see what you have that you didn't have after you were had. ;)
    thanks a bunch for the info. appreciate you taking the time to respond. the dealer couldn't give me any info on what actually came with the car. DUH!!! not my favorite dealer anyway. would not take any car of mine into their service dept. all they do is pad the work, and raise the price. guess most of their customers have enough money for the prices not to bother them, or they don't know what the price for work should be.