Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• imnomekanik1imnomekanik1 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought it. Has 76K miles. Just recharged. Blows really cool air but it only lasts 5 to 10 minutes then it blows warm air (regardless of temp setting). Seems the compressor is keep going off the line after running for 5 to 10 minutes. Must turn it off and on to re-engage the compressor. Please advice if anyone has any idea what is wrong with the ac. Electrical or mechanical?

Jay
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    may be the cause and it costs 11.95. Labor is minimal. Location: passenger side, rear, near cowl and fender. kHope this does it.
  • 426b426b Member Posts: 3
    HELP NEED PRICE ON 99 TOWNCAR SIGNATURE OR CARTIER. ANYWHERE IN US
  • 426b426b Member Posts: 3
    NEED TO KNOW BEST PRICE AND LOCATION FOR 99 TOWNCAR SIGNATURE OR CARTIER. MARTY
  • liz2000liz2000 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading these comments and a lot of people mentioned not liking the front and back of the car. I just wanted to say that those are probably some of my favorite parts about it... I got to ride through the Black Hills in a Continental...Heaven really.
  • hal64hal64 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to pull a small 3500# or so trailer behind a comfortable and quiet sedan... I would think the Lincoln or Mercury GM would be the best choice.
    What year Lincoln or GM would you recommend?
    I also would like space for the back seat riders.

Also I'm not familiar with the various models..
    is the one I should avoid?

Thanks for your help
  • fourbarofourbaro Member Posts: 2
    I am the owner of a 2000 Town Car, Signature Series with the vibration and shake in the steering wheel problem. Thanks to Edmunds I was advised to have them replace the stabalizer bar and bushings. The dealer told me there was nothing wrong with it but he would do it. He did and the ride improved about 100%. It stopped the steering wheel problem and improved the ride. There is still a small vibration on the right front. However, after dealing with the dealer and Lincoln for 8,000 miles on this, my husband says "Please give it up." I guess I will. Thanks for your help.
    can run without a small vibration on the right front. I suggest you ask a patient and professional tire store manager to have a look at the balancing of all four tires and wheels. You no doubt have Michelin tires and they are one of the best, so I'd check the balance. Cost? Less than a 20. I like your car.
  • dutchhodgesdutchhodges Member Posts: 1
    I had a 91 executive...loved it..totaled it on the ice. Bought a 96 sig. It has 16 inch wheels and a very rough ride compared to my 91. It's been suggested that I put some 15 inch wheels and a higher profile tire. Anyone got any ideas?
    Your sig has the "Touring" package or sometimes labeled "Performance and Handling" package. It was not an option on the Executive, but was/is an option on the Sig. If you have dual exhaust and larger tires, you probably have the Touring package. Frankly, I prefer it to the wallowing of the usual Towncar. The package enables my TC to corner like a locomotive, but the ride is more firm. Try reducing your air pressure down to 28 lbs. Changing tire sizes is too expensive until you try more economical moves. Good Luck.
  • viperaxleviperaxle Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a used '98 Town Car, executive. Carmax is asking 24k the car has 25,000 miles on it should i go for it?
    You can get 99's for 23k in Portland OR and Seattle WA. Go to your library and read the papers from other cities and save big.
  • twheatletwheatle Member Posts: 1
    Found an 86 Lincoln Town Car in mint condition. Is loaded with 70K miles. What do you expect would be a fair purchase price?

Thanks in advance.
  • vosakivosaki Member Posts: 5
    Try cars direct

http://www.carsdirect.com/index.asp?cb%3D

They are quoting a Lincoln Town Car Executive Series at $32,291 that is a whooping $3,793 below invoice. This price reflects a substantial rebate and a dealer incentive payment. It's quite a bargain if you're buying cars by the pound. A Lexus ES300 would cost you more.
    It seems like a reasonable deal, as long as you keep the car awhile. The low car price that the car commands when new is reflected in the price of used Lincolns.
  • tamathatamatha Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at a '94 Lincoln Executive Series for my elderly mother who is still quite active and independent. The one I found seems like it is in excellent condition but it has 128,000 miles on it and they want no less than $8,000.
    My mother is quite short so she needs a car that has the power adjustable seats. I would like her to have a nice luxury car but I also would like it to be reliable because it will be my fault if anything goes wrong...............Any suggestions?
    She has a Pontiac Bonneville but she can't see very well from the seat because she is just under 5 ft. tall and the seat does not go up and down just forward and back.
    You can raise the front seat of the Bonneville by putting Clinton coins between the seat and the floor. Clinton coins are washers. You stack them up as high as necessary and tighten the seat platform back down as though the seat platform was on the floor from the factory. 5 inches should do it. 1 hour of labor is all. We used to call washers another term, but now they are Clinton coins. BTW I have a 94 TC, but I like it with 81,000 miles and have the original battery and belt. Only brakes & tires have been replaced. If she likes the Bonne, shim it.
  • tamathatamatha Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for the feedback. Can anyone fixed the seat or should I see a mechanic?

That Lincoln is beautiful...............and tempting.....
    and ask him to shim up the seat. He may have a better method than I propose. I, of course, agree with you re the 94 Towncar, but when the Mercury Marauder is available, I'll trade for it. Happy Day.
  • k4krjk4krj Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 1998 Lincoln TC - Cartier. Before it left the lot, the dealer decided that the driver's seat positioning/adjustment switch needed to be replaced as it appeared to be intermittent.
    A week later, the left, rear window motor had to be replaced since the window became inoperative. One more trip to the dealer. Five days later, the radio quit. It is being evaluated by the dealer and should be replaced within a week. I have owned many cars and trucks over the years, but NEVER had such a series of problems as I had with this automobile. However, I love the ride it provides and the mileage, on trips, is in the neighborhood of 24-26 mpg. Not bad for a large car.

Thomas DeBray
    Punta Gorda, FL
  • dave3003dave3003 Member Posts: 1
    I have a great 95 Signature and it has been trouble free - until a week ago. After driving around for a couple hours and then parking in the driveway, it would not start.

Cranked just fine, but would not start. I tried s starting a number of times but no luck.
    The next morning it started.

Not much help from mechanics, they say they need to have it not start to determine the problem.

I am reluctant to drive it until I can figure the problem.

Help...
  • workshop53workshop53 Member Posts: 1
    Caddy's are in the shop most of the time,lots of electrical probs.
    Get a Town Car
  • voyager18voyager18 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering buying a '94 Lincoln Town Car (4 dr. Executive Sedan) with 73K. It is in excellent condition, looks like new. Can anyone comment on the performance of a '94? Any problems? What should I look for?

My other option is a '93 Cadillac Deville 4 dr. Sedan with only 23K. It too looks like new.It has what I believe are a full vinyl top and Astro Roof and comes with an alarm system which will reduce insurance costs by 5%. However it uses premium gas and does not offer as much space as the Town Car in front, rear or trunk.Its appearance is not quite as appealing as that of the Town Car. It is $2,000 more but 50K less. Any advice?

Thanks.
  • johnbonojohnbono Member Posts: 80
    For Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, and Town Cars, if buying used, it pays to be very patient. Inevitably a *very* low mileage one can be found. I just bought a '95 CV with 25K miles, and I saw at the same dealer a 92 Town Car with 45K. Because many of these cars are driven by retired folk who don't drive very far at all, there are very many very low mileage cars out there.
  • jtusojtuso Member Posts: 4
    I checked out most cars priced from 30 to 40K for a 2000 model. My wife and I are seniors. We got down to the TC, the Chrysler 300M, and the Lexus RX300. The TC rode more smoothly and quieter than the others; the 300M handled great, more like a sports car;the RX300 was almost as quiet and as smooth as the TC, was roomier, and had more power than the TC, but slightly less than the 300M. The 300M failed the wife test--after a 95 Intrepid, she wanted no more cars she had to crawl down into. The Audi A6 failed for that reason too. With the TC and RX as finalists, she let me pick. When I considered the horrendous first year depreciation of the TC vs. the A-1 depreciation of the Lexus, I decided for the RX, and after 10K miles, we're quite pleased with it. Now that the new TC will have 240 HP available, and considering the generous dealer incentives and rebates, I'm tempted to get a 200l Sig TC to fill the other side of our garage. I also like the looks of both the TC and RX300, though some people say the RX looks like an egg! We did have and much enjoyed our 81 Mark VI until l996. A great car, so we continue being connected to Lincoln nostalgically. Bout the Lexus RX300 at 36K price is doubtless the finest of the l5 new cars I've had in42 years of driving.
  • ford624ford624 Member Posts: 75
    2001 Lincoln Sport;...Lincoln Town Car Sport that is.....Now I know factory reps read this stuff........I need a large Luxury Car......I am a Ford Product kind of guy...."LINCOLN".... NOW,.....Why should I have to buy a Cad with-(STD) w/275hp not theit sport w/300, to get a large sporty handling automobile? How about the MK-III eng or maybe the Navigator engine. Ford does know how to build a better engine! "SPORT LINCOLN" now just what does that mean to you Lincoln designers. Look you guys, have you ever looked who is driving those hot rods ot your local GOODGUYS get to gether? What do you think their average age is? Maybe its time to start reading the same book as the Caddy Guys are!
    "THANKS"
    Does anybody feel that the Lincoln Town Car Signiture Series Touring Package should include the DOHC engine with at least 300HP?
    Adamently YES! I have had 3 Towncars since 1980 and have always resented having a Crown Vic engine in each. When the buyer pays over 10k more for the Lincoln, the buyer should receive a Lincoln engine. I have taken the tour in Wixom and with their computer sequential production system, the MarkVIII engine can be installed in the T/C just as the dashboard receives the CD player instead of the tape. The Mark engine should at least be a $300 option for all T/C's.
    Wow. that would be GREAT. Just think, a Lincoln that can blow the wheels off of a Cad. Maybe add some 17" or 18" wheels. A little grumble in the exhaust. Plus all of the good suspension stuff that is included in the Lincoln Town Car Sport Package now. Maybe a "LIMITED EDITION SVT HOT ROD SPORT LINCOLN". Oh,..sorry I just got carried away with thus dreaming stuff. I think I would pay at least $3000 for an option like that.
    "THANKS"
  • frankkirschfrankkirsch Member Posts: 1
    Just to add my two cents. I have a 1991 Executive with 242,400 miles and the dealer that has had it since 21,000 can't find anything mechanically wrong with it. It just keeps goin' and goin'. (I replace plugs every 50 or 100K.)
    Don't like the what looks like to me smaller front room of the new models and absolutely don't like the chop job that was done on the trunk space and even access to it. So, I have been shopping for 97' (or earlier) with as low mileage as I can get, but so far, used car test drives show that (except for steering tightness) they don't ride better than what I have now. I have dual exhaust ALL of the way back from engine (not just from a manifold crossover pipe and supposed to add 15 more HP) and my 242K acceleration matches what I feel with any of the test driven used cars.
    I am a technically inclined PC computer and networking consultant and drive 33K a year (mainly locally in the Chicagoland area). I am purposely doing less work now (at 57 years old) and starting to take more and longer trips and looking for a lower mileage than what I have because I know that it can't last forever.

I obviously will buy Lincoln Town Car again.
    It seems that the Lincoln Motor Division is on the right tract in developing their automobiles... It also seems that they maybe forget the past... Dreaming... What about the four door convertible... "Special Edition Snigiture Series Sport Edition" with Mark 8 engine and a 4-door convertible option... I like to Dream... I am 57 and I like the sportie Mustang stuff plus the Comfort of a Lincoln. Why Not A Package like that???
    "Thanks"
    Amen. 100% correct. I'm 67 & still have my 66 Mustang GT and the 94 T/C. A combination in 4 doors would be Great.
  • wwilberwwilber Member Posts: 4
    The 4.6 engine begins to burn oil around 100,000 miles and needs a valve job at 130,000 miles.Ford was the car of the 1980's but fell apart in the 90's. The 302 engine was good for almost 500,000 miles. Ford says they are going to improve mileage. My 1993 Lincoln TC got 22.5 to 23.5 mpg. My 1998 TC gets 18.6. Ford is going backwards. My next car is going to be a GM product with some power and decent gas mileage. By the way, I have a 2000 GMC pickup with 285 hp. and I love it.
    Well, if we squeak loud enough and long enough maybe we will be able to rattle somebodys cage enough to get the Lincoln Town Car to be up to par with its competitors. The Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Cadillac, etc, people sure do complain about the cars they drive....COMPLAIN!!!!!!!!
    Maybe the Town Car people need to eat lunch with the LS and Navigator people at the Lincoln Design Center every day.
    to CA improve the Lincoln automobiles? They are manufactured in Wixom, MI.
    How else could they not see what the people out here in Silicon Valley like. My son ownes a new Mercedes Sport Sedan. BUT, may be some people like Cadillacs, and some people like Lincolns. I like Lincolns. SO, why can't Lincoln do what it takes to produce a economical high performance good handling LUXURY automobile? They certainly have the parts. They certainly know what it takes to make a car go fast and handle well. They know how to make a vehicle NOT fall apart. They know how to make a vehicle not tire you out after a long trip. They certainly know how to make a vehicle get good gas mileage. They definitely know how to make a vehicle look GOOD. Dog-gone-it, what the hold-up?
    Jag S Type plus Lincoln LS equals two great automobiles........What IF,..Jag XJ8 plus Lincoln Town Car would equal two GREAT Automobiles....
  • bgkannebgkanne Member Posts: 25
    The Town car probably will be what it is for a very long time. It is the ONLY semiluxury sedan suitable for limo conversion because it is rear wheel drive, solid rear axle and has a frame.

I have seen the 4.6 engine, carefully maintained, with almost 500,000 miles and running fine. Of course oil consumption is significant and the limo company was using 20W-50, I think, in the high mileage engines. I don't think there is a more durable engine on the market, but then again, the Town Car and Crown Vic are just about the only passenger cars in the U.S. subject to so many miles in a short time, typically upward of 100,000 miles in a year in limo, police and taxi applications.

The previous pushrod engines used by Ford are by nature inferior in technology, metallurgy and tolerances and emissions. They are, as a result, less likely to run as many miles as the current modular engines.
    Wow, I guess my wife was right... "The Lincoln Town Car is a old-peoples car, and its only good for a Limousine."... well, I am 57, 6'2" and 230lbs, all my friends are Ford product people. What am I going to tell them when I drive up in a DTS?
    You just apologize & you'll be forgiven.
  • jerrym3jerrym3 Member Posts: 202
    I have an 89 Signature, white/black vinyl top. Anybody have a suggestion for a good topdressing that will maintain a wet look shine but not run down the sides of my car every time it rains? Everything I try leaves unsightly black streaks after rain.
    112,000 miles, quiet as a mouse; door panels starting to show cracks from elbow pressure. Unbelievable ride at such high mileage.
    Just changed original shocks (load levelers). Brought back the original quality ride.
    Also have 94 tbird 4.6 LX; 64 Ford galaxie 500XL convert, and 58 white "square" bird (59,000 original).
  • dbd34dbd34 Member Posts: 18
    I've had my 2000 Town Car for several months now, and am quite pleased with it. I can't believe those who would prefer either a Cadillac or much less a Toyota/Lexus in it place.

Mine is a Signature Touring Sedan, a pretty rare automobile. Most of the TC's are Limo's (Executives). Most of the privately owned TC's I've seen are either the Cartier, or Signature version, and one I've seen only one or two Executive models in private hands. I have not seen another Touring Sedan, ever. People who haven't driven the TS option don't know what they're missing.

Some points: The Cadillac is FWD and feels it. It is also loaded with electronic stuff begging to go bad. The FWD was the single point that turned me off the Caddy.

The Toyota/Lexus: The car looks awful. It has no style, is simply ugly. It is small inside. I've seen the interior dimensions, and I've also been in one of the cars too. The arm and shoulder room is terrible. There is no room for movement, and the back seat room doesn't come close to the TC. You won't find anyone making a Toyota/Lexus into a limo. The Toyota/Lexus is a nice little box, but not even in the same class as a TC in terms of spaciousness, style, and aesthetic appeal.

Quality: The TC interior components are just fine. It is a very conservative interior, and also very well thought out. In the Touring Sedan, the appointments are on par with anything else in its class. All cars these days have too much plastic. Overall, the paint is the equal or better, and overall panel fit and finish, in and out is executed as well as or better than any competitor. The only fitment anamoly is one exterior door panel that is not as flush fitting as it could be. I've seen as bad on Mercedes, Toyota, Cadillac though. I think I'm picky.

The Trunk: Get real. The trunk is fine. No problem to use, and very spacious. I don't find it too deep at all, and has nice little shelves on the side that will hold a lot of stuff if you have a physical problem that prevents bending.

Horsepower and handling: Again, get real. On trips through the Sierra's it can consistently pass any other vehicle on the road. With the TS option, passing is quick, sure, and does not lag at all. Will it beat the competition in the 1/4 mile? Who cares. Over the Tehachapi's it passes everything. Horsepower is more than adequate for all reasons. Caddillac and others claim more HP, but where is it usable? Who the hell is driving on a race track? At any remotely safe speed, this car with the TS package handles extremely well. I also have a couple of Chrysler 300's, a TR6, and several British motorcycles - I know handling. I read one test driver complain that the back end broke loose without sufficient warning. Anyone who breaks loose the backend on this car while on pavement, is driving like a drug crazed idiot and ought to be shot. I can take any twisty road with very good speed and security, and TREMENDOUS comfort.

Comfort: No car in it's class can compare, and many costing 10-15k more can't come close. I've driven them. On a typical 4 hour drive, I arrive relaxed, and good to go, where the same drive in another car leaves you needing a rub-down and several aspirin. It is very quiet, the Apline stereo is great, the seats are very supportive and comfortable, and there is room to move your hips and shoulders. The climate control system is excellent as well.

About the only thing I'd wish for is more color combination options. I wanted the dark charcoal interior with the Wedgewood Blue exterior, but it wasn't available. I see that for 2001 Wedgewood Blue is no longer available.

This is an extremely good looking, world class luxury car. There's a reason why many performers stipulate in their contract that they will be driven around only in a Town Car.
    now that you have justified your decision to buy it - How do you feel about having a Ford (Crown Vic) engine in your Lincoln rather than, say, the Mark VIII engine?
  • iefproiefpro Member Posts: 3
    I agree with DBD34, well on most things. I have owned 4 Lincoln Town Cars, My first being a 1984 Signiture, my latest being a 1996 Cartier. I also own two other Ford products currently, a F250 4X4 crew cab and a 1998 Explorer Limited. Been a Ford Man all my life. I think In did own a chevy once, when I was a kid.....

Any way, I can not think of one good reason Lincoln has NOT put the bigger engine in the Town Car. Yes the current engine is good and dependable, but I would like to have a little more get up and go. A

s for comfort, yes it is comfortable, but why the flat Front seats? Why don't they put in more of a body hugging seat like Caddie?

While I am on the subject, why have they not put in any of the new tech luxury items? I.E. Emergency tracking, that cool new caddie thing for night vision and so on?

I love Ford and Lincolns, but if they don't keep up, well I might, choke, sputter, might have, choke, become a GM man.... WOULD NEVER BUY FORIEGN.......
    I feel fine about the engine in my TC. As I said, I feel the power is more than adequate, and the transmission (which is not the same as the Merc/CV) makes a huge contribution.

Concerning, the Night Vision from Cadillac, it's just that sort of option I try to avoid. The trouble history for the TC is very good. Nothing seems to go wrong with them. Part of the reason is the conservative approach to adding options, in my humble opinion.

For years I've been a Mopar man - Had a '68 T-bird way back when, and loved it. Since Mopar is no longer producing a Luxury car, the TC was a tough, but good choice. So far I am happy in the Lincoln camp. I've been treated well. In all my Chryslers and Imperials, there has been minimal difference in engine configurations, except for the 300's. It's never bothered me.

I like the fuel consumption, and the engine is smooth, plenty powerful, and should have lots of miles in it.

I took the TS option for the dual exh, torque converter, more power, etc. If they had offered a more powerful/exclusive motor I might have taken it, but maybe not. I note that the 2001 has more ponies - up to 240.

So far, I've not wanted for power on any hill or passing situation, or just screwing around seeing how well the Michelins stick.

~~~~~~~~~
  • bgkannebgkanne Member Posts: 25
    The TC with the TS option is the finest car of it's type; it is also the ONLY car of it's type. As observed, most TC's on the road belong to limo companies and rental agencies. Limo companies love em because they are fairly inexpensive (fleet deals) reliable, durable and cheap to fix. However, the styling won't win any awards (chk current BMW, Audi and MBZ's for excellent industrial design). The solid rear axle is also obsolete despite recent improvements; no one else uses one currently (except for pony cars and trucks) because they just don't work well on uneven surfaces, but they are needed to build a good stretch limo. Also, a solid axle impedes on interior space, forcing the rear seat forward. In addition, a big complaint limo companies have is the trunk; though roomy, it has a much smaller opening than before. This costs them; sometimes a second car is needed to carry luggage that would have otherwise fit through the trunk opening. If you want to really see a modern Lincoln, check the LS-it just needs more power to really give the imports a run for their money.
    Also, big celeb's ask for a TC only because stretches get noticed and you can get queasy riding around in them compared to a sedan. I worked for one of the biggest limo co's a few years back in the biggest celeb market, Los Angeles.
  • drew111drew111 Member Posts: 1
    I understand that the TS option entails dual exhaust and a little more horsepower along with a different rear axle ratio. I realize that this axle ratio allows for better acceleration but at the expense of a little bit of fuel economy, since for any given speed, the engine will turn a few more revolutions (increased RPM's).

Here are my questions. Can one opt for the dual exhaust, higher horsepower engine option but keep the original rear axle ratio? In addition, since I am not fond of the seats that come with the TC option, can one opt for the non TS seats?

Personally, I don't want the extra acceleration the different rear axle would allow, but wouldn't mind the added horsepower.
    is insignificant regarding fuel economy. Added horsepower is needed regardless of the rear axle ratio. It's easy to twin out the exhaust with the standard axle ratio and by doing so, the extra horsepower will develop. I wouldn't bother with a second cat, just use a good brand of muffler for the other side. Less back pressure = more poop. Enjoy.
    You can get the dual exhaust, higher HP option with the standard axle ratio by ordering the Cartier version. You also get 'upgraded' leather. The drivetrain difference between the Cartier and Touring Sedan is that the Touring Sedan has the lower axle ratio, and a bigger torque converter. The Cartier has just has the dual exh.

I consistently get 22mpg+ on hilly freeways, cruising at 70mph or so. Flat freeways at 65mph return 24mpg, at 80mph return 20mpg.

In my Touring Sedan, I have not noticed any stress whatsoever with the lower axle ratio. I don't know exactly, but at 70mph, I doubt the engine is turning more than 3,000-3,250 at the most. The TS option is great. I get lots of punch when it kicks down for passing, but cruising is a dream at 65-80mph.

Also, with regard to the MB/BMW style comments - this is all purely subjective of course - I thing the German cars are almost totally lacking in automotive style. I feel their design is great for a blender, or food mixer, or other kitchen appliance, but not really great for a car. The squared corners, boxy, sort of look is just not for me.

When the present TC style came out, it took some getting used to. But I really like its aggressive stance, largeness, and unwillingness to blend in with the Toyotas.

One other thing I wanted but could not get was white-wall tires as an option. I think a thin white-wall would have looked good. Oh well.
    some Michelin tire sizes which do not have WSW and some sizes do. Our Sig Touring had 225 Goodyear GA's (WSW) that ran 60,000 with only four flats, but the same size in the Michelin X-1 didn't have a WSW so I went to the 215 which did as did the 235. I doubt the 235 with tire chains would have cleared as well so went with the 215.