Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

MRSTRKMRSTRK Member Posts: 1
I am thinking of buying a 96 Licoln Towncar. Am I
crazy to buy an american made car? What are your
experiences with yours?

Comments

• GATESRGATESR Member Posts: 13
    I've never owned one, but the best people to ask about this car are the ones who drive it the most--Limo drivers and fleet owners. They seem to like it lots and praise its overall build quality.
  • dmkdmk Member Posts: 22
    I rented a 96 Town Car in 1996 and it was fair. The power was only adequate and it rode like a real boat--very floaty. The interior was quite spacious though. And the biggest problem, it's a Ford. Try looking at the Caddilac Sedan Deville. I've rented several of these and they are great cars. Fantastic engine, nice controlled ride(unlike the Town Car) and spacious. I think there are more features on the Caddy and it is more technically advanced. In 97 they even included side-impact air bags. It will also probably be more reliable and offer better dealership satisfaction. Let us know what you decide.

DMK
  • GTRocksGTRocks Member Posts: 48
    My father-in-law had a 95. It was a great car. Far superior in reliability to his previous Cadillac. Caddy was in the shop often. I don't think his town car ever was. They are a cushy/non-performance type ride, but if you are considering it, you probably already know that. I would recommend it. Don't let the Ford haters scare you off. They are far superior to the caddys, just ask JD Powers.
  • cobra98cobra98 Member Posts: 76
    I've rented a few Towncars to drive from Pgh, PA to Martinsville, VA and absolutely loved it. It had the 4.6L engine (I believe) and rode very well. As others have posted, it definitely is very 'airy'. You get no road feel. But, you feel like you're driving a cloud.
  • MarkinAtlantaMarkinAtlanta Member Posts: 194
    Towncar, talk about stress free living/working/yachting. My favorite car to rent, too.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A cloud, yes, but it's a 5000 lb. cloud going 80 mph....stress free at 50 mph, I'd agree, but not a car to push to the limits, I'd imagine (been so long since I drove one, but I bet they're better now).

Hey, somebody suggested the new Lincoln SUV should be called the Lincoln Town Truck...whaddya think? I LIKE it!
  • MarkinAtlantaMarkinAtlanta Member Posts: 194
    I was on a business trip once, from Lost Wages (oops Last Vegas) to Kingman, AZ to LA (BTW in these parts LA stands for Lower Alabama) and the rental company needed more Town Cars in Calif. so I got it at the mid size price. That sucker flew across the desert. Not really my type of car, but its no dog either!!
  • GTRocksGTRocks Member Posts: 48
    Lincoln Town Truck, huh? I like it!
  • tcwtcw Member Posts: 14
    I've got a 1990 Towncar with a digital diplay problem. In the daylight it is virtually unreadable. Dealer has tried to fix it (one might think it is a simple sensor problem) but to no avail. And low and behold, the dealer says it is suppose to be like that. Go Ford, nothing new. Anyway, anyone have any similar problems with a fix?
  • chad81chad81 Member Posts: 2
    MRSTRK,
    I had a 98 town car for a rental to Minneapolis from Chicago. What a ride! If your not a sport sedan nut you should definitely add it to your test drive list. As I am writing this I may do the same. Good luck.
  • pilgrampilgram Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1995 town car. At 61 thousand miles after complains about the engine knocking when the airconditioner is engaged and going up an incline, the engine finally blew. The problem was still there, after the engine was replaced They then replaced the Mass airflow sensor assembly, and a week later reprogramed the computer in the car. The problem still persists. Anybody got a solution?
  • elangdonelangdon Member Posts: 1
    pilgram,

Use higher octane fuel.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    If Lincoln gets a version of the Excursion, they could call it the Lincoln Town House.
  • dranoeldranoel Member Posts: 79
    The Town Car is an excellent medium or conveyance device for the transportation of people that require absolute quiet, an extremely soft ride ,and total isolation from all outside influences. You notice I didn't refer to it as an automobile.
  • saturnboysaturnboy Member Posts: 89
    Pilgram, a good solution to your problem is called the Lexus LS400. It should suit your craving for luxury and give you years of worry free driving, plus very high resale value. I would buy one in a second, if I had 55K to spend on a car that is. Good luck
  • sv1sv1 Member Posts: 12
    Isn't the Town Car similar to the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury GM? People interested in the TC may want to check out loaded versions of those two cars.
  • seanyseany Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know of any safety crash testing of the 1999 Lincoln Town Car?

I checked :

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1999Full.html

They gave the Town Car 4 stars in the side crash but did not do a frontal crash test.

I'm told the Lincoln Town Car is similar to the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis. They both get 5 star ratings for frontal crashes but I don't know if that would apply to the Town Car.

I'm surprised the Town Car didn't get 5 stars in the side crash test because it has side air bags.

My other question has to do with how this car would handle in the snow. Anyone have any experience with this?
  • jgrundmanjgrundman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Towncar Signature. This is a wonderful car for its intended purpose, but buying new American cars still poses the usual problems. I was driving south on I-5 near Bakersfield two months after buy the car when the right rear shock mounting nut, washer and gromet fell off. Bang, bang, bang went the shock. The Beach Lincoln in Huntington Beach discovered Ford safe guards the mounting hardware in St.Louis (the mounting hardware is not included in the box with new shocks). It was five days, three cities, three dealerships before the mounting hardware could be logistically aquired. Other than that, the car really is a joy to drive and it does a great job of keeping out the noise of the world.
  • jheflinjheflin Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased a 'Signature' model and a week later, took it on a 500 mile trip to the east coast. Love it. Great design, comfortable, good gas mileage (25mpg). Must say again, love the design.
  • joe79joe79 Member Posts: 1
    awesome car! the ultimate in comfort
  • chris555chris555 Member Posts: 2
    i do not like the towncar, although it would make an okay hearse.
  • dranoeldranoel Member Posts: 79
    Amen !
  • jqpublicjqpublic Member Posts: 2
    I own a '93 Towncar with 80k on it. Averages 25mpg on highway, 23mpg in city, accelerates quickly, brakes quickly, easy to dodge traffic, brakes well, and looks great. I don't like the new style at all. I've driven the new '99 model and felt cooped up in the new wrap around interior design. I may look for a newer well maintained version of the old design. The trunk space and ride are the best. I'm in real estate and my clients all praise the cars ride and interior. Most say they have never ridden in a towncar and would now buy one if they were in the market for that size car. My Lexus friends love their cars too, but they don't have the interior room at all.
  • johnnjohnn Member Posts: 1
    I am buying my first Town Car. It has the sig. Touring package and a couple of other options like the premium package(moon roof/ cd changer).
    I had the oportunity to ride in a Town car and talk to Limo drivers in NY City - it reinforced my decision to buy the car. My test drive cemented my decision. The new Town Car with the signature touring package is truly awsome.
    I was connected to a dealer through priceline.com - I made a fantastic deal (43700 down to 34300).
    A lot of car for the money!!
  • FREDERICKFREDERICK Member Posts: 228
    I drive daily an 82 Mark with 78k miles on it. I've taken this car on numerous trips to Nor. Cal. and always found it to be the most comfortable car I've driven. The 5.0 ltr. engine is no screamer but it is very smooth.

I've almost no problems with this car outside of its digital dash. I'd never choose this option on my own but it came with the car so I'll live with it. My wife hates the car until she's in the passenger seat on a long drive north.

The 69 Mark III is very different from my 82 in that this car reallly gets up and moves. The car is very imposing but it has the horses to back its size and stature. I enjoy driving this car mostly for its smooth horse power and bordello interior.

The 4.6 ltr. engine most likley is similar to my 5.0 ltr. 82 Mark but if the Lincoln ride and quality is there you've still got a great car. In New York they use these cars as regular livery because they are so durable.
  • towncar1towncar1 Member Posts: 7
    Dad has owned Lincolns since 1957, not one has been a lemon. All received over 100K miles except one it was totaled at 50K. Recently traded a 95 TC signature with 102K maintenance free miles, for a 99 TC signature. I was not crazy about the body style until he started driving it. I have owned two a 86 Continental, I recently gave to an uncle with 320K on it, and 94 Mark VIII with 95K on it. Only minor suspension problems with the 86, and zero problems with the VIII. I have alway found lincoln/fords to be very dependable for me. My wife has a 96 Explorer that has only received oil changes and one transmission service. I only buy domestic all ford.
  • georgeedgeorgeed Member Posts: 2
    My wife says that I have no eye for cars, but has anyone noticed that the '99 Lincoln looks like the '49 Lincoln with a mild design update? Lived next door to a dentist with a '49 Lincoln as a kid, never forgot its style.
    I purchased a '98 Town Car (Signature), because I love that body style. I hadn't thought about it before, but you are right. I can now see the resemblance. I can also see the Jaguar resemblance. It is still a great looking car in its own right.
  • chris555chris555 Member Posts: 2
    No one should compare any American car to a Jaguar. The only good thing about Ford's ownership being the improvement in manufacturing quality. Yet, I hope that there will never be a time where you can say: "Yep, thats American." German luxury all the way. I dont like American cars due to their percentage of rubber feel and plastic trim pieces. Still, when will American cars be truly comparable to those across the pond? I really dont like Lincoln's (with the exception of the Navigator).
  • babohrerbabohrer Member Posts: 1
    purchased 99 signature series towncar for fiancee one week ago. great car. get the touring package, suspension upgrades, dual exhaust, more hp. she sold 93 towncar with 75k for
    9k. had no problems with 93 except for paint.
    she wanted another one. got almost 11k off msrp
    and ford has .9%/36 mo. 1.9%/48 mo. 2.9%/60 mo. can not find a better ride for that money. one defect in car. nut not tightened down from battery
    to main power distribution box. i found and fixed quickly, but did cause minor embarrasment when
    car failed to start at a friends house.
  • vosakivosaki Member Posts: 5
    I rent Lincoln Town Cars quite often, it's pretty neat. You see new Town Cars advertised in the LA papers for a little more than $30,000, after whatever rebates are being offered. For that kind of money, they seem like a pretty good deal.
    The only problem I have with the car is its image. When I see a an older one on the road, it's invariably a old man driving it. Or if its a new one, it's an old man or a middle aged guy driving around without a license plate frame. That's a dead giveaway for a rental.
  • mcginnesmcginnes Member Posts: 1
    Bought a '99 Town Car Exec model. Took it for a long trip 1200 miles and it performed great. Am wondering if anyone has experienced any vibration which feels something like a tire source but is the same on most roads. I can feel it in the steering wheel and in the seat. Not too objectionable but feel it is not up to Lincoln standards. Anyone have any thoughts on this problem? The quality assurance person at the dealership says he doesn't feel anything different from others he has driven. I'm not sure how good he is or if he is just given me a line--he does work for the dealership after all.
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    mcginnes:
    I have a 94 Continental that has had a similar vibration since day one (bought used at 16,000.) The difference here is front wheel versus real wheel drive. I purchased custom chrome rims and brand new tires a couple of years ago....hoping it would take care of the vibration, but it didn't. (It sure did improve the looks, though!) So, I now believe it is a driveline vibration and I'm not willing to deal with replacing expensive CV joints, etc. I wonder if your problem is also driveline related ie. having a driveshaft that is not balanced well.

It really could be a number of things including tires that are out-of-balance. (I had all of my original wheels computer spin balanced after I got the car and that (as I said before) was not the problem.

Maybe you should drive another 99 TC and see if you experience the vibration....if you don't....I'd definitely have them find the vibration and fix it.
  • ez36mpgez36mpg Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1990 Cartier edition Town Car for my mother. It has 69,000 one owner original miles on it and I got it for $8,500. This car is loaded, has moon roof, jbl, memory seats, the works. I am 38 years old and would not hesitate to leave behind my Honda (I'm on my third Honda) to start enjoying something like this for a change. Talk about comfort, the Town Car is great. Yes, it does seem to float down the road but I find this quite refreshing for a change. I have no problem admitting that I might buy one for myself in the near future.
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    Anybody have a 1998 or newer Lincoln Town Car and tell me if anybody have problems in it. I am shopping for a new luxury vehicle.
    I have a 98 Signature edition. Great car, no problems. I love the design. Good gas mileage.
  • firelordfirelord Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 executive that was purchased new in September 97. It has just under two thousand miles on it. My better half doesn't drive it very much and I prefer the convenience of my P/u truck. We had a 85 Cartier before this (only 32k miles when traded) and a 73 Mark before the 85. We purchased the 97 because it was the last year before the new body style. We drove both and preferred the 97. I have driven it 4 or 5 times and really like the way it rides and handles compared to the 85. It has plenty of power and I feel the love of my life is very safe in it. We owned Cadillacs until 73 and would never go back. They were in the dealership more than my garage and rusted like crazy! When I was younger, I raced a Chevrolet and we had a saying about Fords. You had to drive a Ford in order to race a Chevrolet. I believe it's still true today. If things stay normal, we'll be trading our 97 in 2010! It'll have 25K or 30K on it and you can bet I'll be buying another one!
  • joyce7joyce7 Member Posts: 1
    I had my eye on an 1996 A4 or A6 Audi and when I went into retest drive them, the salesman pointed out an apple red Lincoln sig series, with all the options including sunroof. First offer he made was $19.900. He called today with a new offer of 18.500., with 41.000 miles in pristine condition. He says he's had it three months and is willing to let it go but it's just off lease. My one concern is, this is a small used car dealership with 60 day full warranty and two year drive train. It rides like a charm but will check out the shock bolts now and I was wondering about a small vibration from what seemed like the driving column on down. Barely noticeable, thought I might be imagining it. Will have mechanic check it out though. I have to say it floats but I always invisioned my next Lincoln to be black. Has anyone seen the red color.
    The one I had twenty years ago was a dream but upkeep was a nightmare.
  • resetreset Member Posts: 1
    Anybody hear or experience "excess wear" on the 4.6L motor? My 93 towncar has 125000 miles on it and beginning to blow smoke and use 1 quart of oil in 1500 miles. Any bulletins from FORD? or suggestions? Dealer wants $3000 for a new motor.
  • ribcoribco Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Lincoln TC Executive with 36M. I am very pleased with comfort, mileage, etc. but very dissappointed with annoying air noise mostly on passenger side. I have had it in 3 or 4 times, no luck. (Molding strip replaced, adjustments, rubber padding, door adjustment) Anyone else have the same problem and what are your suggestions?
  • balooo2balooo2 Member Posts: 8
    I owned a 93 T/C and it did the same thing
    my mechanic who is a ford freak informed me yes the 4.6 engine will begin to blow white puffs of smoke after 100 miles.But he was quick to assure
    me not to worry about it,he suggested a can of slick 50 really does help the problem.
    I believe what he says (this was an oppurtunity to make some bucks)try that and see what happens in your case.Its a lot cheaper than a new engine!
    I loved my T/C but recently traded it for a new Volvo its a great car but I miss the roomyness
    my T/C had.
    keep us posted how things work out for you.
  • sensiblesensible Member Posts: 4
    The problem with driving a Lincoln Town Car or a Continental is that you may be giving the impression that you are on your way to the airport to pick up a businessman.
    Here in NY City, almost every one of these cars has a license that starts with a "T", signifying that it is a fleet or private limo service car. These cars are popular with these services, because, due to their extremely high depreciation in value, they can be had as used cars relatively cheap.
    thats not the reason Town Cars are used this way.
    Its because:
    1)fuel economy, 20 city 24 hwy
    2)dependability,they are in NYC heat /Cold,pot holes,stop and go traffic,Pissed NYC off door slammers need I go on?
    3)Comfort for the driver,If you had to drive all day what would you want to drive?
    4)Proven to be great cars these guys drive for a living and most own the service car they drive and are responable for maintenance... enough said.
    I had a Caddy in new york what a nigthmare its not as rugged, bottomed out all the time.
    If I still lived in new york I would own one.
    Buy a Town Car and move down here to florida where they still get respect.
    P.S.I owned a car service in NYC for three years.
  • cdog88cdog88 Member Posts: 2
    I love the American Luxery! TC all the way baby!
  • cadillac1cadillac1 Member Posts: 51
    I have one question. Next year when the 2000 deville comes out what reason would you have to by
    a towncar when both are the same price and Cadillac has better technology, a better engine, Better realiability, ETC.
    No one is promised tomorrow, let alone next year. Get a Lincoln and have a nice car today. Great design.
    There is no doubt the Northstar engine is one of
    GM's finest achievements, but if you plan on owning your high tech Caddy in an area that does not have really good roads FORGET IT! they ride like Camaros they handle great but at the exspense of losing the ride Caddy is famous for. If I wanted a Camaro I'd go to a Chevy dealer and get the two door version. I'm sorry but that's the bottom line as far as ride is concerned and maintance cost ..
    have your check book ready lots to go wrong and it will.
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Just Curious, if anyone else here has a 96 Limited Edition Cypress TC, Pretty nice looking, they came in a silver(ish) color and the one my dad has is sorta like a champaign Pearlesant, Varies from light green to Rose colored depending on lighting. My dad just picked up one not too long ago, his 4th or 5th Towncar, all the rest were black and boxy 80's models (he loved those) Well I guess thats all.
    Ciao
    sounds like it's very rare.
    I've never heard of them.Is this car a regional
    after market custom type Town car?
    like a Presidental Town Car(they are done in south florida)?
  • fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Not like the presidential, its a signature series, with some extras, you'll have to excuse my not knowing what most of the extras are, but I can't think of anything the car doesn't have.
    Its named the cypress after Cypress Gardens Fl.
    I think the numbers my dad gave me, were that they made 500 of each color(and there was a silver one on the lot when my dad first saw it) . I want to do some reasearch on it to find out more about it.