Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• johnbonojohnbono Member Posts: 80
    I wouldn't go up past 10w30 oil in a 4.6 engine. Heavy grades of oil will *not* lubricate the engine very well at all. Also stay FAR away from Slick 50. It is complete and utter crap!!! It will wreck your engine, not improve it's life.
  • dbd34dbd34 Member Posts: 18
    For years, in all my vehicles, I have run straight 30w oil. Living in the warm California weather permits this. I have several Mopar and Ford motors that have gone way past 200,000 miles and don't burn oil, and upon tear down show very, very good wear characteristics. We're talking flathead sixes, 351 v-8, 318 v-8, 360 v-8, 392 hemi v-8.

My 2000 T.C. recommends the 5w-30 in no uncertain terms, and that's what I'll use - at least through the warranty period.

My question: is there anything unusual about the TC motor that requires this grade of oil? Bearing surfaces, types? What?
  • robert08robert08 Member Posts: 3
    One of the mysteries of the earlier 4.6 engines! I know a quart every 800 miles probably seems excessive, but I hear its not too uncommon for the '91-92 model years. I have a '95 Cougar w/ the 4.6L, 75,000mi, and it probably uses a quart every 1500 miles with no evidence of leaking or smoking. However, it still runs as strong as the day I drove it off the lot. Also, my parents had a '92 Grand Marquis that practically changed its own oil between 3000 mile intervals. They got 155,000 trouble-free miles out of it before an unfortunate collision took it out of service prematurely! I'd definitely stick with a 5w-30 or 10w-30 weight oil and stay far away from those sludge additives. Just keep an eye on your Town Car's oil level and you should be OK.
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    Bought a 94 TC Signature new in 94, and kept it until February this year. No problems of any consequence the whole time--a good automobile in most respects.
    Bought a smaller luxury car this time, for several reasons; (1) The new TC's are not as comfortable, nor do they look as good; (2) Got tired of trying to find parking spots big enough; (3) Lincolns don't fare well in the depreciation category--They're the worst of the worst, unfortunately.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    We also have a 94 big & with 87,000. 1 qt of oil every 1500 when I drive over 75 mph. Original battery since March 94. Admit the 98's look bulbous and they in competition to the Cad are under powered including the 01's. So, - what replaced your CT? My patience is being developed waiting for the Marauder and the Jag I is too small. Our largest car was a Ford Country Squire in '74 and since then, nothing is too big. Regarding depreciation I've noticed the 94 Suburbans sell for more than the CT. Happy New Millennium.
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    We tried all so-called "High End" models, and narrowed the choice to two--Lincoln LS, and Toyota Avalon XLS. Chose the latter--it seemed like, and has proven to be, the better of the two in every respect.
  • kmatalgahkmatalgah Member Posts: 1
    I own a 95 TC signature (130,000 km) and being annoyed by the bumpy feeling on the steering wheel. When I am driving on the highway, I feel (on the steering wheel) as if the road is bumpy, i.e. as if the road is full of small humps. I sent it for checkup and was told that this could be due to extra air pressure in the front wheels. I had the air pressure adjusted on all the wheels but still feel the same.
    Could this be due to faulty front shock absorbers?
    Would Gas Pressure shock absorbers be better than oil-only ones?
    Any suggestion, please?
    Also, I hear a clicking sound beneath the steering wheel on the left side (seems some where near the fuse box, but not sure). This sound is similar to a relay's switching on/off sound. The sound often comes on when I accelerate and always when I turn the steering wheel (a little) to the left from the straight position. I have brought it for repair but they had no clue.
    Any clue, please?
    Thanks in advance!
  • bgeekbgeek Member Posts: 1
    I am wanting to upgrade my '91 Towncar and I found a '97 Signature Series from Maryland. I had it sent to a local dealer. Delivery was to take 6 days but it took 2 full weeks instead. I finally got to go look at it. It is beautiful! Gold with a full brown cloth top. However, the exhaust system was completely redone with a non-factory system which gave me suspicions of corrosion. It was also very loud which was upsetting for a towncar. Also, the frame had some corrosion signs as well. My '91 Towncar is a lot quieter and smoother ride. The '97 suspension was very tight and didn't handle like a towncar. Mileage is 35k and asking price $19,000. Do I have valid concerns for looking at this car from Maryland or are they fixable at a reasonable price?
    a T/C with the "touring" or "sport" or "handling" suspension. The previous owner(s) may have installed a new exhaust system NOT due to corrosion, but due to a desire for a more "sporty" exhaust sound which is anything but sedate. If the car is still with catalytic converters - inspect the rest of the system for after market "sport" mufflers. The cost of going back to factory exhaust is not too bad. I can not recommend a Midas shop to you. Happy New Millennium.
  • missemisse Member Posts: 22
    I love my TC! Bought it used, 1 year-old, 20K miles. Currently, 189K miles, with original engine and transmission. It has some problems and I want to fix the cheap/easy ones. I have had no rear suspension for months, so I'm guessing the compressor and shocks are gone. Is there a cheap spring conversion kit?
    B 4 going to new shocks - you might check out the fuse and/or circuit breaker that enables the compressor to work. Worn wiring causing a short could cause the fuse to break or the breaker to open and rewiring the system is not that expensive. Good Luck
  • missemisse Member Posts: 22
    I'll check that, but I am doubtful that's what started it. It used to sit a little low and seemed to inflate to accomodate passengers when I first got in and started the car. At some point during the ride, the Check Air Suspension warning light would come on. Right now it just sits with its rear hanging way down (they say car and driver sometimes begin to look alike over the years - what can I say) and the light comes on almost immediately.
  • gary117gary117 Member Posts: 4
    My '96 Signature has 67000 miles. I have questions concerning wind noise and rear shocks.
    Wind noise seems to be coming from the cowl area and is much too excessive for a luxury car. The blend air door was replaced last Dec. Does this car have a filter in the cowl area? Are there gaskets/seals behind the dash that might be out of alignment? The front shocks were replaced at 66000 miles (Dec '00). The rear probably could stand replacing (hard to tell with air susp.). Do I stay with original equipment or is there a better choice available? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • dbd34dbd34 Member Posts: 18
    Air suspension systems are best dealt with in one of two ways:
    1. Take it to a Lincoln dealer, and rebuilt correctly. It shouldn't be too expensive, as it's usually just one air-spring leaking. They can diagnose quickly so you can make a decision about.....
    2. Replace the air with metal springs. Shops not equipped (or knowledgable) for air suspension can replace the air with conventional springs for just a few hundred dollars. It's pretty common, and if you find a shop that's done it before, they'll give you a good quote. Lot's of shops won't work on fixing the air system, and always recommend replacing with metal. Call around.

As for the leaking/wind noise. It sounds like someone did some bad work. Yes, there is a 'filter' system, but nothing that gets replaced like an air filter. I'd ask some more questions first... Why did the blend door get replaced? Who did the work - were they familiar with the TC, or just another shop? Does the system work well under all conditions? Excessive heat, or cold, or some function not operating well... A 96 should be a very quiet ride.

I'd recommend a good diagnosis by a shop that does a lot of Lincolns. The AC system is different from Fords etc., and needs some Lincoln-familiar technicians. At a minimum, a good service technician can nail down the diagnosis with a stethescope and a little patience. You could too, by taking a ride on a quiet road, and cycling the AC/Heat to open/close the blend doors and do a little detective work on your own. It'll save a lot of diagnostic time and money.

And replace your shocks with good aftermarket or OEM depending upon price. The specs (gas charged, heavy duty) should be the same, the only difference being price. They should have been done along with the front ones.
    ~~~~
  • gary117gary117 Member Posts: 4
    I am considering replacing the OEM shocks on my '96 Towncar with Bilsteins. However, Bilstein only lists thru '95 for rears. Is there any difference between '95 and '96 for rear shocks?
  • grace16grace16 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about purchasing a 2000 or 2001 Lincoln Town Car. I'd appreciate someone sharing their experience of winter driving (especially steep driveways). I currently have a 94 Lincoln Continental with snow tires on the front. It was somewhat difficult to go up the steep drive without the snows even though it has front-wheel drive. I would love to buy a TC but the rear wheel drive concerns me.
    I have a '95 crown vic which has essentially the same drivetrain. If you install snow tires in winter, and have the traction control, you will have no problems in the snow. I've driven my vic through snowbanks, on extremely slick conditions and have yet to get stuck. In fact, I noticed that it does better going up hills than the two FWD cars I have.
  • swiney1swiney1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 town and so does my father, both have experienced cracked intake manifolds, which are made of plastic! Has Ford recalled these cars for this problem? My car had 70m on it while my father's had 88m. I was told by some service people that Ford was aware of this problem early and recalled all the police cars, i assume the crown vics have the same intake. Has anyone else had any problem with this inferior design product on their tc or know anyone who has lost one on a crown vic? It costs around $550.00 to have repaired.
    I've read in other topics, Coupes, 90's T Birds, Crown Victoria/Grand marquie under Sedans where there is a factory warranty the number starts I believe with 97. Check with Ford dealers too. Good Luck
  • wobbywobby Member Posts: 2
    Just to let you know, if you call the Midas dealer near you, they can replace the air shocks for the 93 towncar for about $400.00 instead of taking it to the Lincoln dealer and spending $800.00.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    All 4.6's built during or after the 96 model year have the plastic intakes. (I barely missed the bullet, My bird's a 95!). The cracking is a known defect, and if the dealer doesn't want to fix it, raise heck, write Ford Corporate, and generally be a pain in the cabeza de vaca until they pony up the dough to fix yor car! Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Ford redesigned these plastic intakes at some point down the line, but it didn't cure the problem, so now they're working on making them with aluminum re-inforcements. Personally, they should admit they're wrong and go back to the all metal (aluminum, I beleive. At least that's what it looks like on my car) manifolds. Ford's main problem is letting beancounters do their engineering, which is also why the 3.8 motors are having such problems.
  • mclarke69mclarke69 Member Posts: 4
    The vehicle has the 5.0 ltr I dualies 120k on it.
    after first inspection car has faded paint on roof just before the the moon roof that has surface rust. also showing fading on the trunk.
    The leather interior is mint, but the Drivers seat is trashed. All the power options work except for for the power lock on the drivers door.(I can lock it with the key though). And the heating system will not blow on just the floor setting. The radio sucks the rear passenger side speaker is blown. and the carpets could use a good cleaning.

I had to put 4 new tires on it and gave it an oil change. The dome covers are seeping a little oil
    but nothing major. My concern is the engine hesitates at low rams but clears out when you step on it. Hopefully new plugs, cap and rotor will cure this and improve the fuel economy 11mpg)???.

Oh man what a beautiful quite ride though. I would like some feed back from owners with same vehicle. I would like to know what I should be on the look out for as far as problems and known issues.

Including the tires and oil change I am only into the car for 1500.00 Bucks USA! USA!
  • finiteguyfiniteguy Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a used 98 Grand Marquis with the 4.6 Liter V-8. I see that people have posted stuff about plastic intake manifolds cracking. Seems like a lousy design. Why plastic? Engineered plastics are still not good enough for high temperatures (my opinion). Anyway, my car is still under warrantee. I don't know if I have a problem yet. Where do I look? The intake manifold is buried amongst all kinds of hoses, covers and wires. What would be the symptoms of a cracked intake manifold. The car runs great so far. Only has 17,800 hi on it.
    Symptoms of a cracked intake:
    1. Your alternator falls off.
    2. You car starts gushing aintifreeze from the engine bay (or the engine swallows it!)

Beleive me, if it breaks, you'll know it. Why did they do it? I suppose they left that decision to the same bean-counter that put the thinner (read cheaper) head gaskets on all the 3.8's. They ought to fire that moron and use his salary to hire some real engineers! Best thig to do is find a breaker with some late model wrecks, and get a 1995 or earlier manifold (these are aluminum!)
    Good luck with your car!
    does anyone know where Ford used to hide the combination for the keless entry systems on a 90 T/C??
    I just noticed that my manufacturers warantee for emission items such as a possible cracked plastic intake manifold is 7 years, 70,000 miles. I guess Ford must have realized this was a potential defect?
    My 98 is okay, but it is good to know that I will be covered for a few years if the manifold breaks. I assume the warantee applies to Town Car and others that have this engine.
    I don't think an intake manifold would be considered emissions related, would it? Oftentimes when car have such defects, the Mfgr. will offer a "secret warranty" where they will pay for you to have the defective parts replaced. Here's the kicker, since they're not advertised, you may never find out about it, dealerships may not know, or deny knowing, about it, and it is oftentimes a fight to get the part replaced. Usually, they simply extend the warranty on the defective part (say from 3/36000 to 5/60000).
    I read the actual warantee booklet that came with the car. It specified several items one of which is the intake manifold, exhaust manifold and other things. I was surprised to see this extra warantee.
    I stand corrected. (Not the first time, probably won't be the last!)
  • lando2lando2 Member Posts: 12
    Check the hinges on the trunk lid, either side, for a white lable with a 5-digit code. You can also look on the CPU/computer module located under the dash or behind the kickpanel (I forget which side...). Hope this helps you.
    Having just arrived home from a 2600 mile trip in our 94 T/C Sig/Touring, the odometer shows 90,000 plus. The car covered I-5, the S. CA desert, US 395 to Bishop & on up to Tahoe. With two pair of skis on the roof rack (added wind resistance) gas consumption was never less than 18.5 in the mountains around Tahoe and the Cascades into Portland. What was interesting to observe was oil consumption. When pushing 75 to 80, with traffic, it would use a quart every 800 miles. Keeping the speed between 70 & 72, the engine would go 1200 miles before needing another quart.
    Mobile 1, 10-30, (green cap). It's been 5,000 miles since the complete oil change, but after adding 4 quarts in 5,000 miles, the oil is clear on the stick. Wife person suggests the car has had a "gradual" oil change, but perhaps the filter will be changed, soon. This particular T/C was assembled in March 94. The only parts that have been replaced are one set of tires and one set of brakes. The factory battery is fine. The finish and interior is next to new and it is a pleasure to drive. Very quiet, but IMO the 4.6 engine needs more power especially when ascending mountains up to 8,000 feet. Had to as that's where the snow is. This car will be kept until the new Marauder is available or Nasser puts 300 plus hp into the T/C. Just sharing.
  • dhkeerdhkeer Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem with my 96 TC (97K miles) on Friday. Thinking it was the water pump, I had it towed to my independent service station. The bill, including towing was $800.00. Has anyone had any luck getting money back from Ford when the work was done elsewhere?
    I had a Richfield service station replace a water pump on a one year old 67 Ford Country Sedan. All I did was return the original pump and the invoice for labor to my local dealer and within a month, Ford sent me a check for the full amount. Submit the labor bill and the defective intake manifold to your local dealer. Good Luck.
  • southbaylimosouthbaylimo Member Posts: 1
    I ve been thru so many problems with aftermarket parts, oem parts, and problems. Five years in the Limo business and I have a pretty good knowledge about these cars...
    Maybe you could tell us what year Ford started saddling its V-8's with those wretched plastic manifolds that get so much discussion around here. I've heard 1996 was the first year.
  • skipper10skipper10 Member Posts: 5
    this message may come thru twice as I lost the screen as I was typing.....go to Edmunds Town Hall...get Maintenance and repairs at top of screen,,...then at message board type in Mercury Grand Marquis....scroll down to find Mercury Grand Marquis Crown Victoria 2 site...big discussion here on cracked intake manifolds. Program 97m91 is the name of the hidden recall program. I just found out about it too. I have 97 Grand Marquis..this site has lot of good info..will apply to Town car too.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I can't find that discussion in Maintenance & Repair -- I think maybe you are talking about this one - Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis - 2 - right here on the Sedans board?

Anyway, that is a link to it - if that's the wrong place, let me know and I'll try to link the right one.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • skipper10skipper10 Member Posts: 5
    That is the correct site...guess I was going round about to get there...see messages number 717 and721 there are more previous to this concerning the cracked manifolds..over 700 messages in all referring to problems similar to Lincoln Town car.
    In process of changing a blown speaker i noticed
    that the car has an amp going to a subwoofer mounted on the rear deck. The amp is missing the input harness. Does anyone know how I can obtain the harness I need??
  • warzone2100200warzone2100200 Member Posts: 4
    how fast do the 1990 to 1994 Lincoln Towncar Cartier go. and is it 85 or 120 or 135 if you no emaill me or post it my email is mkitty@inreach.com
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    Somebody get this guy outta here!

I say the top speed of a Town Car is whatever you need it to do. The top speed of any Town Car I buy will be 75mph because I will probably never NEED to go any faster.
    but he's got a new username!?!?!
    If you really wanna know what a lincoln will do, test drive the &^$&* thing!
    and the seven year old Signature with Handling Package and 91,500 miles rolls on very quietly and smoothly at 75 mph all day. The ski rack with two pair of boards doesn't make any noise and the mileage is 22. IMO the only things missing are 100 horses. It could use more poop in the mountains. Now, where is that Marauder?
    You won't believe this, but I heard a stock Town Car won the DuraLube 400!!
    Just as a good skier can ski on any ski so can a good driver win in any car. Who drove it?
  • montanezmontanez Member Posts: 1
    My 1993 CT experienced Premium Sound System failure. I looked in the web and found United Radio Service of Syracuse NY.. who nudged me through the probable cause. I sent them the radio on a Monday and got it back by Thursday. Total cost of repair plus I/I was $116, saving me $300 for a new radio. Factory sound equipment can be found on the Web on a site called Radios & More. They service U.S. auto makers and a few foreign makes.
  • tkl2tkl2 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone heard the rumor about the Lincoln Towncar being produced in the next few years with a V12 engine? Is it fact or fiction?
    especially if their Romeo OHC engine is planned to exist as long as the OHV engines did.
  • deerslayer2deerslayer2 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had trouble with vibration of the transmission when shifting into overdrive?