Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• lando2lando2 Posts: 12
    Check the hinges on the trunk lid, either side, for a white lable with a 5-digit code. You can also look on the CPU/computer module located under the dash or behind the kickpanel (I forget which side...). Hope this helps you.
  • kinleykinley Posts: 854
    Having just arrived home from a 2600 mile trip in our 94 T/C Sig/Touring, the odometer shows 90,000 plus. The car covered I-5, the S. CA desert, US 395 to Bishop & on up to Tahoe. With two pair of skis on the roof rack (added wind resistance) gas consumption was never less than 18.5 in the mountains around Tahoe and the Cascades into Portland. What was interesting to observe was oil consumption. When pushing 75 to 80, with traffic, it would use a quart every 800 miles. Keeping the speed between 70 & 72, the engine would go 1200 miles before needing another quart.
    Mobile 1, 10-30, (green cap). It's been 5,000 miles since the complete oil change, but after adding 4 quarts in 5,000 miles, the oil is clear on the stick. Wife person suggests the car has had a "gradual" oil change, but perhaps the filter will be changed, soon. This particular T/C was assembled in March 94. The only parts that have been replaced are one set of tires and one set of brakes. The factory battery is fine. The finish and interior is next to new and it is a pleasure to drive. Very quiet, but IMO the 4.6 engine needs more power especially when ascending mountains up to 8,000 feet. Had to as that's where the snow is. This car will be kept until the new Marauder is available or Nasser puts 300 plus hp into the T/C. Just sharing.
  • I had this problem with my 96 TC (97K miles) on Friday. Thinking it was the water pump, I had it towed to my independent service station. The bill, including towing was $800.00. Has anyone had any luck getting money back from Ford when the work was done elsewhere?
    I had a Richfield service station replace a water pump on a one year old 67 Ford Country Sedan. All I did was return the original pump and the invoice for labor to my local dealer and within a month, Ford sent me a check for the full amount. Submit the labor bill and the defective intake manifold to your local dealer. Good Luck.
  • I ve been thru so many problems with aftermarket parts, oem parts, and problems. Five years in the Limo business and I have a pretty good knowledge about these cars...
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    Maybe you could tell us what year Ford started saddling its V-8's with those wretched plastic manifolds that get so much discussion around here. I've heard 1996 was the first year.
  • this message may come thru twice as I lost the screen as I was typing.....go to Edmunds Town Hall...get Maintenance and repairs at top of screen,,...then at message board type in Mercury Grand Marquis....scroll down to find Mercury Grand Marquis Crown Victoria 2 site...big discussion here on cracked intake manifolds. Program 97m91 is the name of the hidden recall program. I just found out about it too. I have 97 Grand Marquis..this site has lot of good info..will apply to Town car too.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I can't find that discussion in Maintenance & Repair -- I think maybe you are talking about this one - Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis - 2 - right here on the Sedans board?

Anyway, that is a link to it - if that's the wrong place, let me know and I'll try to link the right one.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • That is the correct site...guess I was going round about to get there...see messages number 717 and721 there are more previous to this concerning the cracked manifolds..over 700 messages in all referring to problems similar to Lincoln Town car.
  • In process of changing a blown speaker i noticed
    that the car has an amp going to a subwoofer mounted on the rear deck. The amp is missing the input harness. Does anyone know how I can obtain the harness I need??
  • how fast do the 1990 to 1994 Lincoln Towncar Cartier go. and is it 85 or 120 or 135 if you no emaill me or post it my email is mkitty@inreach.com
  • Somebody get this guy outta here!

I say the top speed of a Town Car is whatever you need it to do. The top speed of any Town Car I buy will be 75mph because I will probably never NEED to go any faster.
    but he's got a new username!?!?!
    If you really wanna know what a lincoln will do, test drive the &^$&* thing!
    and the seven year old Signature with Handling Package and 91,500 miles rolls on very quietly and smoothly at 75 mph all day. The ski rack with two pair of boards doesn't make any noise and the mileage is 22. IMO the only things missing are 100 horses. It could use more poop in the mountains. Now, where is that Marauder?
  • You won't believe this, but I heard a stock Town Car won the DuraLube 400!!
    Just as a good skier can ski on any ski so can a good driver win in any car. Who drove it?
  • montanezmontanez Posts: 1
    My 1993 CT experienced Premium Sound System failure. I looked in the web and found United Radio Service of Syracuse NY.. who nudged me through the probable cause. I sent them the radio on a Monday and got it back by Thursday. Total cost of repair plus I/I was $116, saving me $300 for a new radio. Factory sound equipment can be found on the Web on a site called Radios & More. They service U.S. auto makers and a few foreign makes.
  • tkl2tkl2 Posts: 6
    Has anyone heard the rumor about the Lincoln Towncar being produced in the next few years with a V12 engine? Is it fact or fiction?
    especially if their Romeo OHC engine is planned to exist as long as the OHV engines did.
  • Has anyone had trouble with vibration of the transmission when shifting into overdrive?
  • ringram1ringram1 Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 1993-1994 licoln towncar or ford crown victoria. I have heard alot about this 4.6 Litre v8. Specifically about the plastic intake manifold and oil Excessive oil use. I want to know if anyone knows the year they started putting in these plastic cover and how reliable are these cars.
    '94 Lincoln Towncar Signature with Handling Package: Built in Wixom, March 94, purchased new Aug 94. Class III hitch & trnsmission cooler installed June 95 at 17,000 miles after a 12,000 mile trip around the US & Canada averaging 22 mpg.80/100 Halogen bulbs @ 18,500, WSWiper motor @25,000,(warranty) A/C fan control, 32,000,(warranty) LR door control,43,000,(warranty)44,000, fuel filter, align front end, 44350, Bosch platinum spark plugs 50,830,new Michelin X1 tires @60,000, A/C evacuated/reharged 67,439, rear brake pads & rotars 70,970,changed transmission oil & filter @ 71,000, replaced A/C coolant and seals @80,000, replaced front brake pads @ 82,000. The car has 91,502 miles with original battery. Plastic intake manifolds didn't appear until the 96 or 97 model years. Regarding oil consumption: Mobil 1 synthetic since new. At 70 to 75 mph the usage is about 1 quart every 1,200 miles. I change my oil and filter myself. The filter is changed every 5,000 miles and the oil is changed every 10,000. The hitch is for dragging a 17' boat/trailer weighing 3200 lbs. Not a problem. The reason the rear brake pads wore out before the fronts is that the cruise control applies the rear brakes when going downhill so as to keep the speed constant. We take the car skiing & with the locking rearend, we have yet to hang iron. In addition to the two month trip in '95, we have toured Alaska covering over 6,000 miles including the Top of The World highway via Chicken on gravel roads. We drove slower in AK due to the beauty and at one fill up we averged 27.5 mpg. Earlier this month the Portland Oregonian advertised: 94 Towncar, white, 24K, Signature, lthr, mint, loaded, $11,995. 503 635 5830. IMO the CV & TC have basically the same running gear, but the back seat room & front seats in the TC are more ample & comfortable. I would be tempted to buy whichever car was in the best condition. Hope this helps.
    The plastic manifolds started in the 1996 model year. 93-94's are safe. The oil usage won't be an issue if you can find one under about 80,000 miles. It's 80-100 thousand when that starts. My suggestion would be to find that body style with a 5.0, though. Not sure about Town Cars, but 1993 was the last year of the 5.0 in the Thunderbirds and Cougars.
    '90 was the last year for the 5.0, 302 OHV engine.
    '91 was the first year for the 4.6 OHC engine. Our previous Towncar had the 302 and we very much prefer the newer 4.6 engine although it still needs more h.p. & torque to match the Caddie's 300 h.p. 4.6, but the Caddie is not a RWD. Our 94 TC with 91,000 runs smoother & quieter than our 95 T Bird with 41,000. Does Quality Control determine the better engines from Romero go to the Lincoln plant, Wixom???
  • carcomcarcom Posts: 1
    From Popular Mechanics "Spy"

2004 Lincoln Town Car V12

There are big plans afoot for Lincoln. Along with a general upgrading of all models is a project within Ford's Premier Automotive Group, of which Lincoln is a critical part, to create a real street superiority for the Town Car. This vehicle will offer a high-performance 6.8-liter V12 instead of the current 4.6-liter V8. Special ornamentation will set the V12 apart from more mundane Town Cars, and you can bet a stretched-wheelbase version is part of the program.

http://popularmechanics.com/perl/spy_fetch.pl?cat=det

wouldn't it be more cost effective to make it in the form of a V8? 415 c.i. with an OHC is something to look forward to, however, how much will it lengthen the hood or would the long snout be the special ornamentation? It would have to still be a RWD as otherwise there would be too much weight on the front suspension and the tires nd wheels would /---\.
    wouldn't it be more cost effective to make it in the form of a V8? 415 c.i. with an OHC is something to look forward to, however, how much will it lengthen the hood or would the long snout be the special ornamentation? It would have to still be a RWD as otherwise there would be too much weight on the front suspension and the tires and wheels would /---\.
  • chucka3chucka3 Posts: 2
    I just bought a '99 Lincoln Signature Towncar with 8,200 miles on it. It's a honey, but the break pads are very noisy. The dealer admits there's a problem but says that there's nothing on the market that will quiet the breaks down. The owner's manual even says that the breaks will squeak. Are there no quite pads for this car, since the removal from the market of the asbestus ones?
    When they yanked asbestos, quiet pads became harder to get, but not impossible. One trick you might want to try is t pull the pads off and chamfer the leading edge of the pad.