Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car

Comments

• ringram1ringram1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 1993-1994 licoln towncar or ford crown victoria. I have heard alot about this 4.6 Litre v8. Specifically about the plastic intake manifold and oil Excessive oil use. I want to know if anyone knows the year they started putting in these plastic cover and how reliable are these cars.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    '94 Lincoln Towncar Signature with Handling Package: Built in Wixom, March 94, purchased new Aug 94. Class III hitch & trnsmission cooler installed June 95 at 17,000 miles after a 12,000 mile trip around the US & Canada averaging 22 mpg.80/100 Halogen bulbs @ 18,500, WSWiper motor @25,000,(warranty) A/C fan control, 32,000,(warranty) LR door control,43,000,(warranty)44,000, fuel filter, align front end, 44350, Bosch platinum spark plugs 50,830,new Michelin X1 tires @60,000, A/C evacuated/reharged 67,439, rear brake pads & rotars 70,970,changed transmission oil & filter @ 71,000, replaced A/C coolant and seals @80,000, replaced front brake pads @ 82,000. The car has 91,502 miles with original battery. Plastic intake manifolds didn't appear until the 96 or 97 model years. Regarding oil consumption: Mobil 1 synthetic since new. At 70 to 75 mph the usage is about 1 quart every 1,200 miles. I change my oil and filter myself. The filter is changed every 5,000 miles and the oil is changed every 10,000. The hitch is for dragging a 17' boat/trailer weighing 3200 lbs. Not a problem. The reason the rear brake pads wore out before the fronts is that the cruise control applies the rear brakes when going downhill so as to keep the speed constant. We take the car skiing & with the locking rearend, we have yet to hang iron. In addition to the two month trip in '95, we have toured Alaska covering over 6,000 miles including the Top of The World highway via Chicken on gravel roads. We drove slower in AK due to the beauty and at one fill up we averged 27.5 mpg. Earlier this month the Portland Oregonian advertised: 94 Towncar, white, 24K, Signature, lthr, mint, loaded, $11,995. 503 635 5830. IMO the CV & TC have basically the same running gear, but the back seat room & front seats in the TC are more ample & comfortable. I would be tempted to buy whichever car was in the best condition. Hope this helps.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    The plastic manifolds started in the 1996 model year. 93-94's are safe. The oil usage won't be an issue if you can find one under about 80,000 miles. It's 80-100 thousand when that starts. My suggestion would be to find that body style with a 5.0, though. Not sure about Town Cars, but 1993 was the last year of the 5.0 in the Thunderbirds and Cougars.
    '90 was the last year for the 5.0, 302 OHV engine.
    '91 was the first year for the 4.6 OHC engine. Our previous Towncar had the 302 and we very much prefer the newer 4.6 engine although it still needs more h.p. & torque to match the Caddie's 300 h.p. 4.6, but the Caddie is not a RWD. Our 94 TC with 91,000 runs smoother & quieter than our 95 T Bird with 41,000. Does Quality Control determine the better engines from Romero go to the Lincoln plant, Wixom???
  • carcomcarcom Member Posts: 1
    From Popular Mechanics "Spy"

2004 Lincoln Town Car V12

There are big plans afoot for Lincoln. Along with a general upgrading of all models is a project within Ford's Premier Automotive Group, of which Lincoln is a critical part, to create a real street superiority for the Town Car. This vehicle will offer a high-performance 6.8-liter V12 instead of the current 4.6-liter V8. Special ornamentation will set the V12 apart from more mundane Town Cars, and you can bet a stretched-wheelbase version is part of the program.

http://popularmechanics.com/perl/spy_fetch.pl?cat=det

wouldn't it be more cost effective to make it in the form of a V8? 415 c.i. with an OHC is something to look forward to, however, how much will it lengthen the hood or would the long snout be the special ornamentation? It would have to still be a RWD as otherwise there would be too much weight on the front suspension and the tires nd wheels would /---\.
    wouldn't it be more cost effective to make it in the form of a V8? 415 c.i. with an OHC is something to look forward to, however, how much will it lengthen the hood or would the long snout be the special ornamentation? It would have to still be a RWD as otherwise there would be too much weight on the front suspension and the tires and wheels would /---\.
  • chucka3chucka3 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a '99 Lincoln Signature Towncar with 8,200 miles on it. It's a honey, but the break pads are very noisy. The dealer admits there's a problem but says that there's nothing on the market that will quiet the breaks down. The owner's manual even says that the breaks will squeak. Are there no quite pads for this car, since the removal from the market of the asbestus ones?
    When they yanked asbestos, quiet pads became harder to get, but not impossible. One trick you might want to try is t pull the pads off and chamfer the leading edge of the pad.
  • quinny1quinny1 Member Posts: 3
    The decklid of my '93 Towncar is no longer functioning. The trunk will latch itself when closed and release on command, but the latch will not pull the decklid down. I have checked the applicable fuse, which is fine. I took a "current indicator" to the wires that mate with the motor and one of the wires is hot. I'm ready to spend money on a new decklid motor, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations before doing so.

To everyone that sees me one the road, "Yes, I know the decklid is up."
    when the decklid is up - press the key fob remote as though you wanted to open it. That may reset the mechanism so as to receive the decklid again for closing.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try it tonight. A couple concerns though: The tunk release is on a separate circuit from the trunk pulldown - the release is on a breaker rather than the fuse panel. Also, the release mechanism is in the decklid, whereas the pulldown is in the frame of the trunk. I'll give anything a try though. . . .
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi - I am PR Director for Edmunds.com and often am approached by journalists looking to talk with consumers for various automotive stories. Currently, I'm helping a major newspaper find consumers who are experiencing "gadget backlash." Did you buy a vehicle filled with exciting techno-gadgets, and wish you didn't? Have you given up trying to play a CD, set the ambient temperature or use the navigation system because the controls are just too complicated? Did you drive off the lot in your new vehicle without getting a full explanation of all the toys, figuring "how hard could it be?" and are now realizing it's more confusing than you could have imagined? What experiences have you had with the Mercedes joystick and the Volvo radio, both of which feature a lot of functionality but seem less intuitive than traditional controls?
    This story will touch on the following trends:

-the gadgets in high-end vehicles from the Lexus LS 430 and Volvo S80 to Porsches and beyond

-drivers in their 40s-60s buying sports cars

-driver distraction

If you have anything to add, we'd love to hear from you. Please submit your experience to Talk to the Press and/or to jfallon@edmunds.com, including your current vehicle, daytime phone number and city and state of residence. (Your identity will be protected at your request.)

Thanks for your consideration of this opportunity to share your story!

Regards,

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

jfallon@edmunds.com
    Hi from Edmunds.com's PR Department.

A journalist from one of the country's largest newspapers has asked us for help finding consumers who recently purchased a Lexus L430, Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series after considering a more expensive vehicle, or anyone who recently considered purchasing a luxury vehicle, but decided not to because of the economy.

If you fit this description and care to share your story, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com and/or rpopely@tribune.com with your e-mail, phone number, city and state of residence, and a brief description of your experience. The journalist promises to keep you identity hidden at your request.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

PLEASE NOTE: Respond by clicking on the email addresses above. Responses posted here will NOT be seen by the folks who want to hear from you. Thanks!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    What's the purpose of having that decklid pull-down feature anyway? Ford spends time and money over complicating the lock on the trunk, but can't see fit to make a front suspension that doesn't sound like some little gremlin is hammering away on it every time you turn the steering wheel?

Sorry. Just my useless rant of the day!
    rea98d, I feel your pain. This power decklid "feature" they have added has caused at least two people to injure their fingers as a result of - the decklid not closing immediately, them trying to open up the truck, and the decklid pulling the trunk down on their fingers. Why won't it just close normally!

Kinley, as you may have guessed your recommendation did not work. I will start looking into prices for the decklid motor. One question though - I would like to fix this problem and future minor issues on my own. Where can I find manuals or descriptions of the car's subsystems to resolve these issues. If I can understand the pulldown feature, maybe I could troubleshoot the problem better.

Thanks, Quinn
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    quinny1

I have a 92 Cont. that I bought with a disfunctional trunk motor (among other things...) one day, i was messing around and discovered the the motor worked, but would - for some odd reason get stuck in the upward position (sound familiar?)

You can see if your motor works by unplugging the wire connector and then apply 12 volts from a power source to see if it does work (that's how i discovered that the motor had power. after reassembling the thing i tried it once and then it got stuck again... frustruated, I took it off the wire connector... used the power source to force the motor to lower the trunk catch-thing and then unbolted the motor and now i slam it shut and it lines up perfectly.

easy fix (cheap too)
  • sphallsphall Member Posts: 1
    This week I purchased a used 1997 town car [Executive model]. I love it but unfortunately it did not come with the 300+ page owners manual, and my attempts to buy it from local dealers caused them to refer me to Helms, Inc., but of course it is out of stock currently.

I have figured out most of the gadgets but I am stumped in regard to the alarm system. It seems to constantly re-arm itself at variuos times.

Upon removing the key and exiting the vehicle it re-arms within a few seconds.

When I put the car in drive the alarm resets and all the door locks come down. I guess this is a anti carjacking system, but would like to know if I can control it some how, [i.e. turn it on or off.]

I am also concerned that if the battery in the clicker dies I will not be able to turn of the alarm with the fancy key.

One other item missing from the used car dealer was the key less entry code. The dealer promised to contact the factory to get the code but has not done so yet. I have heard that the code was printed somewhere inside the trunk area but could not find it.

As you may have guessed this is the first car I have owned that has had an alarm system and I am totaly lost. Any advice would be great. While I wait for a reply I am going to search EBAY for an owners manual. Thanking you in advance for your help. Steve
    look on the trunk arm hinges and in the trough.
    You can set your own code, but space here does not allow the steps. Borrow a manual from any other Ford, Mercury, or Lincoln owner and the method is the same. Good Luck
  • missemisse Member Posts: 22
    I posted some time ago concerning the failure of my rear air springs starting at about 170,000 miles. I couldn't find anyone to replace them for less than $700 (not counting the compressor, if needed). I checked Micas and they were also about $700. Since Edmund's TMV is about $600, we decided to replace them ourselves. We bought conventional coil spring replacements (so we wouldn't have to worry about the compressor) for about $200 from Arnott Industries. As advertised, it took a couple of hours and rides just fine.

We disabled the trunk lid closure 5 years ago after it got stuck twice and we couldn't shut the trunk at all. No sense spending hard-earned cash to fix a gadget we never needed in the first place.
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Enough about Ford's plans to install a 6.8 liter motor in the Town Car. It is not going to happen because it is not necessary. Also, the 6.8 liter motor in question is not a V12, its a V10. According to Ford engineers, the SOHC V10 from the F250/F350 will fit under the Town Car's hood without extensive modifications. This was considered by Ford as a way of boosting power but was ultimately rejected. It would make much more sense to install a SOHC 5.4 liter V8 with an aluminum block backed by a 5 speed automatic as a way to improve performance. This engine would (1) retain the beautiful V8 sound; (2) weigh less than the current iron block 4.6 liter V8; (3) produce a smooth, quiet 275 hp and 345 lb-ft of torque; and (4) likely cost less than a V10/V12 alternative. I would assume that this engine/transmission package combined with a 3.55 rear axle ratio would produce ample acceleration at a reasonable cost.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Actually, I read in Automotive News that the 2002 Town Car will use a 300 hp 4.6L DOHC 32 valve V8 - the same engine going into the Mercury Marauder.
    That is the Best News I've heard in a long time. If FOMOCO prices the Marauder too high, the Executive Towncar will be considered.
  • fuzzofuzzo Member Posts: 88
    Hi everyone.
    I have found a lincoln towncar with 40,000 original miles. when this lady's husband died, the car sat in the garage for 8 years. She wants 2500 for it. Can someone tell me what problems i should look out for. I read about a problem with the trunk. Are these cars high maintenance. How does it do on gas?

Thanks in advance
    If it's sat in the garage for 8 years, you'll definately want to change all fluids, oils, belts, hoses, ect. Also replace the tires. And another thing, the insides of the cylindders may be rusty for sitting there for so long. I'm assuming its got a 302 engine, which is very reliable, normally. As for gas, its a full sized, V8 automatic, so don't expect much.
  • dba1dba1 Member Posts: 1
    What grade of gas does the 1990-1993 town car take? 87, 88 or premium 92. And if it requires the higher (92) does any one put the lower grade in and have any problems?
    no problems using the above, but avoid ARCO and cut rate stations. Who knows what COSCO is passing off?
  • warzonectxwarzonectx Member Posts: 26
    how fast do the 1998 Lincoln Towncar go is it 120.

can it go 125 is so email me or post it. my email
    is warzonectx@yahoo.com
    Or has this guy been here before?

NOBODY FIRGGIN KNOWS! AND NOBODY FRIGGIN CARES! WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU BE GOING A HUNDRED AND TWENTY FRIGGIN FIVE IN THE FIRST PLACE???
    tell me how fast the 1999 Lincoln Towncar go. email me. or post it my email is warzonectx@yahoo.com
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    It is not just you. He has been here before and he has been on other boards singing the same silly song.

By the way, does anyone know for certain if the 2002 Town Car will get the DOHC 4.6 engine? I have heard rumors but nothing conclusive. And, no, I am not asking because I care if it will go 125 or not. :-)

Bruce
    Recently a poster on another board quoted an article in "Automotive News" to the effect of the 300 hp DOC as being available next year. I think, not sure, it was in the Sedan Mercury Marauder topic. If true, look out Cadillac.
    Do you know why I ask all of the time , how fast the lincoln town car can go? It is because I heard the cruise control quits while going up hill. post if you have any info. email me or post it.my email is warzonectx@yahoo.com
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    I bought a 94 TC signature series yesterday. The car is in excellent shape w/ 72000 miles. When I make turns, the steering wheel does not return to the center unless I assist it. Is this normal? I realize I didn't buy a sports car but it makes for some strange driving. I understand the power steering is variable assist: can it be adjusted??
    Please help.. Thanks!
    Perhaps increasing the air pressure in the tires to 35 lbs would help the steering. Michelin X One tires are an improvement over the Goodyear GA's that came on the car with the "Touring" option. At 92,000 miles we are still very pleased with the unit, purchased new in '94. All the new ones need is a 300 h.p. engine to compete with the Caddy.
    I would like to add a cd changer and wondered if anyone knows which company makes Lincoln's stereos. Are the TC's prewired with the CD changer cord? How can you remove the rear speakers from the deck and what size speakers are they? Thanks for all the help...I really appreciate it.

....and how fast can this car go? (just kidding).
    Do you know why I ask all of the time , how fast the lincoln town car can go? It is because I heard the cruise control quits while going up hill. post if you have any info. email me or post it.my email is warzonectx@yahoo.com cool
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    The 1998 Lincoln Town Car can go 75mph, because that is the highest speed limit on any interstate highway in the USA. If the cruise control quits while going uphill, get your foot off the dash and ACCELERATE until you get over the hill...jeez...
  • mjwhetstmjwhetst Member Posts: 5
    About six months ago I replaced the plugs with BOSCH plugs and the better plug wires from one of the standard national parts stores, and used the dielectric grease and the anti-sieze stuff on the plugs like it says to do. Seemed to work fine for 10K miles, now it is missing bad after I get up to 30 MPH or so, and the Lincoln dealer wants $308 to replace plugs and wires with the Motorcraft plugs/wires. They said the plug wires are not sealing well, but the boots sure looks like they are covering the whole adequately. Does anyone have any helpful comments on this? Would one missing cylinder cause a large power loss under load? Should I try just replacing the plugs first?Is there any reason why I need the motorcraft parts? Motorcraft wires list for $111 in my area and the motorcraft plugs are about $3 each.
    As long as I still have your attention, I have about 105K on the engine, uses about a quart every 800 miles, get 20MPG usually. Love the ride.
    well.... I adjusted the tire pressure to where they should be.....and wha la....a much better ride and an end to my steering problem. The dealer put new tires in the front and filled them to the max....about 8 psi too much. Feel kinda stupid I didn't think of this sooner.
    My experience in '94 after taking delivery or our TC caused me quest for a CD player as well. I learned the unit from the factory did not have a plugin in the back for adding a CD player,but Sony made an "addon" unit, but it used the FM circut to amplify the sound via the antenna. The fidelity was diminished to 14,000 whereas the factory CD unit was right up there at 20,000. The tape player was of better fidelity than the addon Sony, so I never did get a CD player.
  • skgskg Member Posts: 16
    kcrnmale,
    I purchased a 2000 Town Car in February that had no changer installed. The dealer took it to a local outfit that they work with and had one installed that hooked directly to the radio, just like the factory unit. From the inside of the car, you couldn't tell that it was not factory. The changer was made by Audiovox, and is a OEM replacement for the factory changer.
    Alas, though, that car was totalled two weeks ago. A dump truck ran a stop sign and my wife & I hit his front wheel. We were doing about 25 at the time, and, from the skid marks, he was doing about 35 (in a residential 25 mph zone!). Our car was totalled, but the car saved us from any serious injury.
    We are now waiting for the insurance settlement check to come in. We found a 2000 Signature Touring Sedan with 7200 miles. It had been registered to the Ford Atlanta Regional Office as a courtesy car for visitors. The car is cherry, and we are getting what I consider a pretty good deal (29000, and that includes 6 year/75000 mile extended warranty).
    Do you know why I ask all of the time , how fast the lincoln town car can go? It is because I heard the cruise control quits while going up hill. post if you have any info. email me or post it.my email is warzonectx@yahoo.com cool cool
    Folks have answered you about your cruise control questions. If you want to pursue that question, please feel free to ask.

I think I speak for many of us when I say that your repetitive posts about how fast various cars can go are not the best way to get the information you seek.

We'll be happy to talk with you about your specific concerns, but please stop posting the same questions over and over again.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Your diplomacy could talk Jefford into being a Republican again!
    ;-)
    Now why didn't I think of that?
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    Put the Ford/Motorcraft wires and plugs in your TC. The Motorcraft wire set is precisely built to fit in the holes in the block. These wires have plastic extensions on them that completely cover the plug tip. Typically, parts stores don't carry these wires. Wire sets carried by the parts stores usually have long rubber black extensions. I change spark plugs and wires on my TCs and van, which also has a 4.6L engine, when the engines start miss firing under load. This usually happens at about 35K miles. Also, when you replace the plugs, get the plugs with the same part numbrs as the original plugs.