Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Lumina

Comments

• family bought a 99 lumina ltz in nov 98. the
    brochure said the car comes standard with
    bucket seats and a console. ours has a split bench
    seat. is this a fluke? anyone else out there
    have a 99 ltz with bench seat?
  • I you didn't get the bucket seats and console, you didn't get an ltz.
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    The LTZ also has badges all over (trunk lid, front dashboard, and well as LTZ stitching in the middle of the back seat). It also should have the 3800 Series II engine, dual exhaust, and 16" tires).
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    I think its possible that in 99 you could get a 3100 LTZ and bench seat. Check in the Edmunds new cars section under 1999 Lumina.
    I would think you have a legit beef with GM. Your LTZ should have come with bucket seats and a console, not a front bench seat. I also think the dealer should be able to order and install them, but you may have to leave the car with them for awhile. Maybe they'll give you a loaner.
    I just looked up what came with the '99 Lumina LTZ in the NEW CARS section of the Edmund's site. There is no question that it came with bucket seats and a console (plus 3800 engine, etc.).
  • achillesachilles Posts: 8
    I live in Toronto, Canada and would like to buy
    a 1999 Lumina LTZ with 3.8L Series II engine and reasonable mileage in good condition. This model
    is becoming difficult to find. Interested parties please contact me at ssoutsos@yahoo.com.
  • jkobtyjkobty Posts: 99
    I also live in Toronto Canada. I have a 97
    Lumina LS with the 3.1L engine. Very clean car
    with 77,000 KM. Are you interested?on
    My wife has just started work in real estate
    and she wants to lease a new car before our
    Lumina loses its value because of high mileage.
    This car has been great, and is still in
    perfect condition and extended warranty
    to 100,000KM
  • achillesachilles Posts: 8
    ...but I prefer a 1999 LTZ for the 3800 V6 or
    a 2000 Lumina with its improved horsepower.
    Good luck selling your car.
  • greggd1greggd1 Posts: 1
    I'd like to know what people are getting for gas mileage with the Lumina LS with the 3.1L engine. Anybody have any info?

Thanks
    It gets me 21mpg in mostly city driving.
    and 29mpg in all highway driving. I drove from
    Toronto to Montreal (370 miles) without refilling.
  • psc2psc2 Posts: 7
    I ABOUT TO INHERIT BY DAD'S 98 LUMINA WITH ONLY 10K ON IT . IT HAS BEEN A GOOD CAR FOR HIM, BUT THE HANDLING IS WAY TO SOFT FOR ME. I CANT SEEM TO FIND ANY INFORMATION ON HANDLING UPGRADES SUCH AS LOWERING SPRINGS, BETTER SHOCKS, OR STABILIZER BARS. DO SUCH PRODUCTS EVEN EXIST. ALSO IS THERE ANY AFTERMARKET STUFF TO PUMP UP THE 3.1 MOTOR
  • minnbillminnbill Posts: 28
    I also have the 3.1 engine, (1998 model) and have been getting low 20's in metro area driving, and close to 30 mpg on the highway. Pretty good for that size vehicle.
  • sparkeswsparkesw Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 EURO that has been stalling on me at stop lights. This will only happen after I have driven longer than 30 minutes. I can turn the car over and it starts but when I put it into drive/reverse, it dies. Now I have found that if I crank the heat up HIGH, wait 20-30 seconds then I can continue my drive. I'm thinking that it is the cooling fans. Anyone worked on those before? How do you test the fans? This is the last think I need to do before I sell it.
    Could be a multitude of things

1. EGR valve (air leak)
    2. Fuel filter
    3. Fuel injectors
    4. spark plugs or wires.
    6. coil.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    1. Oxygen Sensor
    2. Crankshaft Sensor
    3. Faulty engine management computer
    4. Throttle position sensor.

Good luck!
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    My Cousin is looking at a 90 Lumina 4-door with 140,000, and the guy is asking 2,700 for it. It's had a new engine, and new tires, but looks to be in pretty good shape. How much shoud she give him for this car. It originally came with a 3.1 engine, but I'm not sure what they put in it when they replaced it.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    2700 bucks sounds like a lot for a car that is already 10 years old. You can do better elsewhere. Stick to a vehicle (Lumina or whatever else that you like) that comes with the basic safety gear (Dual front Airbags, ABS if possible) a 1994 or newer Lumina with the 3.1L OHV "Pushrod" V-6 engine would be a best bet. Be careful and stay away from the old Lumina with the 3.4L DOHC engine that was a complete flop and it is pretty unreliable. I believe the best used Lumina buys cover the 1997-99 model years. Be careful and shop smart.
  • allchecksallchecks Posts: 25
    I know someone with a mid to late 90's Lumina. The rear brakes are disc, I think, and have been a major problem from the beginning. I think the Lumina went back to drum breaks on the rear and reliability has been better. Does anyone know if this is correct, and if so, the year of the change? Is it the same for all models, including LTZ? I am looking at used cars and am considering a Lumina. Thanks.
    I am trying to change the spark plugs on my 97 Chevy Lumina 3.1 engine. I replaced the front three quite easily. However it seems to be quite a chore to get access to the three in the back
    of the engine. I was wondering if there is a trick
    or simple way to do it. What seems to be logical to me is to remove the distributor since it is
    blocking the way and that might give me more
    room to maneuvre. Please help.
    I can vouch for what teo said about the 3.4 DOHC engine. It use to run great in WARM weather. It had very good pickup (210 HP). However, in cold weather it was VERY hard to start. I got stranded several times due to engine flooding, and had to have it towed. At about 60K miles it started burning oil. It now has 90K miles, and I only drive it to and from work (~20 miles/day). I'm going to trade it in this fall for a new Buick Regal GS. I like the Impala, but want more HP.
  • Buck531Buck531 Posts: 14
    When I changed my '91 Lumina Plugs, I had to remove a bolt for the motor mount on the front side of the engine. Then had to put the car in Neutral, then move the motor forward then put the bolt back in to hold the motor forward. After that it was easy. I would recommend buying one of those repair manuals or something to that matter. That's how I did mine.

Buck531
  • nan1590nan1590 Posts: 3
    my '87 Celebrity was in an accident and rendered a total loss (even though only the front bumper and lights were damaged), and i am looking for another used car. i am interested in the Lumina, and the 1991-1993 models are within my price range. is this a good, reliable car? are there certain things i should look for, or questions specific to this type of vehicle that i should ask of the dealer/seller?
    just looking for some advice from people w/ experience with old Luminas. thanks!
    Thanks for the info. I bought the manual and
    it mentions the same as you said about moving the
    engine forward. However it mentions that in order to keep the engine in the forward position that a ratcheting strap is needed, which is a seatbelt
    like strap or a rope. I somehow understand from
    your post that you held the engine in the forward position by using the same bolts on the engine mount in the front. Can you please describe in more detail how you did that?
  • Buck531Buck531 Posts: 14
    Well, pretty much when you remove the bolt holdling the engine in place, move the engine forward so that the next set of holes on the engine mount line up with the mounts on the frame of the car. Then just slide the bolt in and that will give you a few more inches (about 3 or 4 to get your hand and socket in there to take out the plugs. Forgive me if I'm vague, It was about 4 years ago since I did it. But I'll never forget that one.. for 2 hours I forgot to take the car out of park. And remember, don't do it on a hill.. :)

Good Luck

Buck
    Just stay away from any Lumina with the 3.4 liter DOHC engine. Take it from someone who's had nothing but trouble over the past 7 years, this engine is a total disaster! Chevy should never have created it in the first place. When I bought my '93 Lumina 3.4 Eurosport, little did I know the headaches that would lie ahead for me.
  • all234all234 Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a 95 Chevy Lumina LS with 57K, ac, pw/pl, cruise from original owner for 7k. Is this a good deal? Thanks!
    i am looking at buying a 1995 Lumina for $3575. it used to be a corporate car, and so has about 160k miles on it.
    seems to run fine, however the low coolant light comes on almost all the time while driving (there is plenty of coolant there, in fact the reservoir was bubbling when we checked). the car runs really hot, and the owners told us that their mechanic says it has a minor leak b/c the intake manifold gasket needs to be replaced. we checked under the hood after driving it, and there were no visible leaks at all. They also said the system had recently been flushed and a radiator hose replaced. i am wondering if this intake manifold gasket thing could be causing the low coolant light to go off and the car to run so hot, or if this is more likely a thermostat or radiator problem. i don't mind buying the car if i need to fix a few minor things, but i have heard that a problem with an intake manifold gasket is among the first steps to the engine going, and i don't want to buy the car and then have to replace the engine!
    what do you guys think about this?
  • ottomanottoman Posts: 7
    Make sure that the electric radiator fan is coming on and working normally.
    i appreciate the tip about the old 3.4 L DOHC engine. however, i just saw an ad for a 1991 Lumina that has a 3.1L. is this good b/c it's a different engine, or still the same bad one??