Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Lumina

Comments

• jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Have the 3.4 (DOHC) engine checked thoroughly before you buy the car. This engine was discontinued by Chevy, and with good reason. It has a history of MAJOR problems. I own a '93 Eurosport with this engine, and I can't wait to get rid of it. It's very hard to start in cold weather. I also had 3 oil leaks repaired ($1500), and the ENTIRE brake system replaced at only 8K miles (Chevy dealer paid for it).
  • stepjamstepjam Member Posts: 3
    I bought a a 96 with a 3.1 V6 brand new, and it served well as our family car until we took delivery on our 2000 Venture. I now use the Lumina for work, and I'm telling you, it's a GREAT car. Since buying it, I have cancelled my subscription to Consumer Reports Magazine, as I have concluded that if Honda put a turd on wheels, Consumer Reports would rave about it. They are so heavily biased against American cars, especially GM, that I finally got disgusted. At 43K miles, my Lumina is still looking and running like new, and at $17K out the door, it beat the crap out of any of its competitors in terms of space and ride. It's a good, solid, reliable car. Incidentally, I also own a 1988 Beretta, which I bought new, with a 2.8 V6. It's at 200K miles and still runs strong, although it leaks a bit of oil.
    Chevy definitely gives you the most for your money!
    I bought a a 96 with a 3.1 V6 brand new, and it served well as our family car until we took delivery on our 2000 Venture. I now use the Lumina for work, and I'm telling you, it's a GREAT car. Since buying it, I have cancelled my subscription to Consumer Reports Magazine, as I have concluded that if Honda put a turd on wheels, Consumer Reports would rave about it. They are so heavily biased against American cars, especially GM, that I finally got disgusted. At 43K miles, my Lumina is still looking and running like new, and at $17K out the door, it beat the crap out of any of its competitors in terms of space and ride. It's a good, solid, reliable car. Incidentally, I also own a 1988 Beretta, which I bought new, with a 2.8 V6. It's at 200K miles and still runs strong, although it leaks a bit of oil.
  • canada7canada7 Member Posts: 4
    My family had a base 1997 Lumina for three years: Best car we've ever owned. Cheap and good on gas. In the three years we had it, the only thing that was changed was the oil. Definitely wasn't a car that'll leave you stranded, the 3.1L is fine but doesn't have a whole lot of power. The only reason we got rid of it was because the lease ended so we bought a supercharged Regal. We'd definitely recommend it to anybody looking for something reliable, it's better than anything Japanese! ;)
    I'm going to buy a 2000 or 2001 Regal GS in the fall. I'm trading in my '93 Lumina Eurosport. I can't wait. I would buy an Impala if they offered the SC 3800 engine but they won't.
  • achillesachilles Member Posts: 8
    Tomaso3:

Does your LTZ have the 3.1L or 3.8L engine?
    When does your lease expire? Interested in
    selling it? How much?
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The Lumina LTZ versions came equipped with the smooth, powerful and reliable 3800 Series II V-6. I believe their HP rating for that year was 195HP.

My 2000 Impala LS has this engine but the HP rating is 200HP.

The Lumina LTZ is a great car! Don't pass it up!
    I have located a 1998 LTZ with 51,000 kms (31,000 miles) loaded but with the 3.1L engine. They're
    asking $15000 CAD (or $10000 USD). Any opinions?
    I guess the Canadian LTZ version came with the 3.1L. The U.S. version had the 3800 engine. US$10,000 doesn't sound too bad and the mileage seems to be right where it should be.

However, try to hunt down a US LTZ with the 3800 engine. Its a much better proposition. Can you get a US LTZ used model up there in Canada?
    The Lumina LTZ's are the same in Canada as in the US. The 1997 and 1998 Lumina LTZ's came with a standard 3.1 engine, with an optional 3.4 in 1997 and optional 3.8 in 1998. In 1999 the 3800 series engine became standard.
    Achilles' LTZ should have a 3.8L not a 3.1L? He says the car he has been looking at is a 1998 model. Could it be an older version?
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    I had a '98 LTZ prior to my Impala LS. My LTZ had the 3.1 engine. I feel that if I had done my homework first, I would have gotten the LTZ with the 3.8 engine. Nothing wrong at all with the LTZ. I really it, but knowing that a 3.8 was available never sat right with me after finding that out.

Anyone looking for an LTZ will be well served getting on with the 3.8. Don't assume that because it's an LTZ that it has the 3.8
    My wife owns a '98 LTZ, bought in July of '97. Her owner's manual says that the 3800 Series II engine generates 200 HP and 225 ft.-lbs. torque.
    Thanks for the info.
  • luminamanluminaman Member Posts: 1
    Hey Lumina fans you can read above from tomaso3 the big differences in LTZ's.

To Canada7: sorry fellow Canuck, they are not the same. The Canadian '98 LTZ does not have rear disc brakes while stateside they were standard and the 3.1 is standard,or rather was, in the Canadian '98 LTZ while the 3.8 was standard in the States.
  • merlin19merlin19 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a bit of a heavy dreamer, when I see a deal I think is good on a car right now, I'm dying for a car, I research it like crazy. There's a 94 4 door sedan Lumina selling for $3,700 at a local used dealer. To boot it has brand new tires, a new battery, and especially new brakes and rotors, which is good because many guides list the 94 as having break problems. The only downside is it already has 104k miles on it. A car with a normal 12k/year on it plus a little leeway would run from 80k-95k at worst, this one has another 10k on top of that. It has a solid V6, 3.1L engine in it. I personally only intend to use the car for long distance travel (300 mile trips) mostly to college and back 6,7 times per year.

Does this car seem to be reliable? I really only want to keep it for maybe 2-3 years until I get out of school and buy a new car altogether so I can sell it and recoup as much of my initial costs as possible. What would you suggest, will she bottom out or need $1,000 in repairs in less than a year or do you think this model is a good buy?
    My advice is to have the car checked by a reputable mechanic. The higher than normal mileage could spell TROUBLE down the line. The 3.1 liter engine is a much better one than the 3.4 (DOHC). I ought to know. I own a '93 Lumina Eurosport with the 3.4, and it sucks. See if the car dealer has a maintenance record from the previous owner. If so, see how often the oil was changed. $3700 is a little high for a car with 104K miles. I would negociate a lower price.
  • melaquemelaque Member Posts: 1
    i have a 90 lumina. at about 125k miles it had to have the headgasket replaced. figure at 125K it was about time for something to go. is that about average? don't know much about cars but i do maintain and take good care of them because I HATE CAR PAUMENTS.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    As with many things, whether or not you're happy is relative to your expectations. A head gasket at 125,000 miles isn't unreasonable if your car's been reliable in all other respects.

I recently put around Cdn$350 into a transmission solenoid repair for our '93 Corsica, but I figured, hey it's been very reliable up to this point and there's only slight surface rust (Brockville, Ontario, Canada) so that's a pretty good deal.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have a friend whose 95 lumina shifts from overdrive to regular drive after about a 1/2 hour of highway driving. You can really notice it by watching the RPMS, they jump from 2200 to 3500 and the car never goes back. After this time it will no longer engage overdrive until the car sits and cools off for several hours. Has anyone had a similar problem?
  • djswadjswa Member Posts: 1
    We are about to buy a 98 Lumina and wanted to see if anyone knows if the brakes have been corrected on this year as compared to the 91 year that has problems (we know we own one that is being a pain). We've also heard that the V6 4 speed w/OD (as compared to the 3 speed) may have problems. Is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • accountstudentaccountstudent Member Posts: 11
    I bought a 92 G.P. (identical mechanically to the Lumina) in Apr. of 99 and have been very pleased with the car. It had 42000 miles when purchased and I just turned 84000 yesterday. It has only needed a thermostat and an alternator at 83000 miles. The original owner did oil changes at 3000 and had the trans. fluid changed. That is all that has been done to the car. I'll probably get a tune-up for an upcoming vacation. Ride is very smooth, quiet, and more than ample power from the 3.1 engine. I did switch to Amsoil and get over 30 mpg on the highway. So far, I love this car.
    We had a 90 Lumina Euro, and a 97 base. I know, the first generation Lumina was horrible for brakes, as just about everything else. The 97 was greatly improved, we had ours for 3 years, only went in for oil changes. As for the 4 speed O/D, we had no problems with that either! I've heard bad things about the 91's 3 speed, but not the 4 speed with O/D. I think you'd be very satisfied with the 98 Lumina, GM came a long way with this car since 91!
    I managed to get the dealer down to $14,500 CAD (about $9,700 USD) on condition that my mechanic gave it the OK. The mechanic gave it the OK and
    suggested that I give it a chemical undercoating to make it last longer. The dealer is certifying
    it and doing the emissions testing. I pick it up
    Thursday afternoon. I can hardly wait to take it
    on the highway... This car feels so solid on the road and gives comfort and feeling of security. Any of you installed mudguards and are they worth the money? What about a bra? I would like to keep the car as long as I can.
  • beaulieubeaulieu Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to post my experience with my Lumina.

Bought the 1998 from my sister who had it as a company car, she put 35000 on it from June 98 to March 99 (when I bought it). Since then I've got 53000 miles. Overall quality - I love this car.

No repairs needed yet. The worst thing I can say about the car is during emergency turning, the car tends to understeer (when turning and braking hard, the front end seems to slip and want to keep going straight instead of actually turning)... BUT this is a sedan and not a sports car. I believe the LTZ package has a stiffer suspension and fixes this problem. However comma with this soft suspension makes a very smooth quiet ride! Gas mileage could be better, I get about 22/23 city and highway. (I'm 29 but not a fast driver)

The Lumina is indeed a great inexpensive overlooked value. I would compare it to the Taurus but haven't driven the Taurus a lot (rented a couple times). I couldn't choose which I'd like better. I was actually hesitant about buying another american designed car.

No problems with tranny, engine, leaking, or anything else.
  • lisaj4lisaj4 Member Posts: 1
    This is response to #225... you wrote the same song...WOW!! I can't believe it... finally someone else with the same problem... and all this time the transmission co. (who shall remain nameless) has thought that we were the ones who were nutty! To make a long story short, we had to replace the tranny last summer... apparently the previous owner(s) were extremely rough on shifting. Everything was fine until we pulled a trailer and blew a front seal... it went back in under warranty and came out with the overdrive problem. They say they have replaced the torque converter and a lockup solenoid. We wondered if there isn't a problem in the wiring or the computer but they don't think so. We are not impressed with this company's diagnostic assessment anyway... they seem to be lost and in their own words "throwing parts at it". We are so disgusted with the time they have taken to do the few things they have that we are ready to trade it in on anything we can find reliable. We still have a warranty and could get more done w/o cost, but they keep the car "forever" every time it goes in. Major frustration! What good is a warranty when you don't have a vehicle or you have the car AND the problem? If anyone has ANY thoughts on this particular subject, PLEASE respond... Many thankzzzzz!
  • mamarantemamarante Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 1997 lumina std sedan in june of this year 85,000 miles. It steers like a truck at low speeds. It seems the power fades at a low rpm. Has anybody experienced this problem ?? any info on this thanks
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Try replacing the serpentine belt. If it looses tension it will cause slipage which will cause hard steering. Check for cracks on the belt. If the belt is not bad check the tensioner. Good Luck!
  • faddzfaddz Member Posts: 1
    I've been driving it for over a year now...good on long distence, easey turning, and stable on highways...it's defenatly a good car
  • danna1danna1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 lumina and i have so many problems. i bought it used about 3 years ago, and its got alot of miles on it (138500) and it is falling apart. Literally. I've had to replace the gas pump, which still humms loudly after car is warm, also the alternator, shocks and struts, breaks 3 times(they are life time breaks and they went out with less than a years use.) they always squeek even if they are dusted off(with an air compressor even) now i have abs problems. as they aren't working. when the dealership did the shocks and struts, they hit the sensor, so they said, and to bring it back to be fixed any time. well i couldnt go back for 5 months, they checked it and said it was the main chip and that it wasn't their fault so they wouldn't fix it for free. they want 800 to fix it. My freeze plugs went out($1000 at dealership) and the pipe leading out of the engine had a hole in it and when my dad( a mechanic) tried to UNSCREW it it crumbled into the engine. what a piece of c*#p this car has been. i need to find a really cheap abs chip...any ideas? (anyone want a cruddy car?)
  • mdelrossomdelrosso Member Posts: 18
    besides all that, this is one ugly automobile.i would not want anyone i know to see me driving this generic looking c#$p. Although, an interesting novelty, is that it does seem to come predented, with that horizontal crease along the side. michael
    If you are a millionaire, yes the Lumina might be downright too generic for you. But for most folks with very limited budgets, the Lumina is a very good choice, specially the late 98-99 models equipped with the 3.1L V-6 and the 3800 Series II V-6. The Lumina is not about style or flair, is just practicality, room and comfort for a family to move around. The car is safe too and provides good protection which some "Higher" and more expensive cars can not provide.

Are economical cars no longer politically correct, Mr. Mdelrosso??
  • viktoria__rviktoria__r Member Posts: 8
    Hi everybody. I wondered if someone can help me
    with my problem. I have 95 MC LS 9essentially a 2-door Lumina) that I bought as a
    'demo' (no manuals). It has alarm/keyless entry -
    kidney-shaped remote w/2 buttons - one little green
    button(does not seem to do anything) and larger
    black round one - raises your windows when if they
    are down, locks the doors and arms the alarm when
    pressed. To unlock, I press the black button and it
    is supposed to unlock BOTH doors. When the engine
    is started, the locks lock down automatically. If
    someone pulls handel at that
    moment, the door locks, and you have to manually unlock it from inside to let a passenger in.
    After that, if I lock it using remote and then
    unlock it, the driver door stayes locked. I cannot
    open it from the outside even with the key. I have to go inside thru driver's door and pull a little lock lever (not
    the door handle) to open passenger's door from
    inside. This happened to me a few times before, and
    each time I eventually found a way to return it
    back to normal (i.e remote opens both doors) - by
    pressing lock - unlock and pulling little lever. It
    has to be done in certain order. Trouble is, I
    cannot remember WHICH order exactly. Does anyone
    have similar alarm? any help is appreciated!
  • glowworm711glowworm711 Member Posts: 5
    I have narrowed my search down to either a new Impala or a sightly used Lumina for my next vehicle. Now I am trying to determine reliability of these. I've heard both the 3400 and the 3800 are quite reliable, regardles of which car it lives in. If anyone has a moment to respond with a 97-2k Lumina or 2000 Impala review it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • rschmidtrschmidt Member Posts: 2
    We have a 97 lumina, 3.1 engine. Bought used in Jan 2000. Now has 56k. Only routine maint. Belts, Oil changes, Tranny service. I would steer clear of GM 3.4 engine. Review some posts. Seems the bad 3.4 is Pre- 1997 though. I had a 3.8 in a 1987 Bonnevile. That was a good engine.
  • avionik99avionik99 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 98 Chevy Lumina a year ago this month
    it had 31000 miles and now has just over 50000. The only problem I had were the front brakes
    needed rotors turned twice. The last mechanic I took it to told me it was because the rear brakes were out of adjustment so he adjusted them correctly and what a difference! You see if the rear brakes are out of adjustment then they dont do much work and the front brakes take too much of the load causing them to overheat and warp. It is
    the best car for the money and it looks like it is a much more expensive car!! Too bad Chevy has quit
    making them..
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Chevy did not stop making Lumina in 2000. They do not sale them for the general public anymore, but still produced for fleets. I think, though, GM dropped the car in 2001.

Any case, the replacement, the 2000-2001 Impala, is a great car. Even better, tham Lumina, and not much more expensive, especially in the basic version.
  • klogg01klogg01 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Chevy Lumina new in 1995. The only problems I have had are mushy brakes and a clogged radiator. Chevy does not know how to make a good braking system. We went from a 1991 Lumina to my current 1995 Lumina and the brakes are still crap. And I was experiencing an engine that would run hot so I took it in and they informed me I have crystals in the radiator from an unknown source. But other than those two things, it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I guess a $500.00 repair bill for a new radiator isn't too bad considering the overall dependability of the car. It has never left me down or left me stranded.
  • tommasotommaso Member Posts: 1
    I had just purchased a 1998 Chevy Lumina three days ago. I had just recieved it tonight and had been driving in it for the last three hours now. I am very happy with the ride, and also the look of the car. My wife wanted a mini van, for practical purposes, but I decided on the Lumina ultimatly. I find it is good for trucking around my daughter, and really think it feels safe. As for my wife, after the three hour ride, she love's it. I was curious of problems after 80,000 km. The car I purchased is totally mint, just like it came off the showroom floor, yet it has 87,000 kms on it. If anyone knows, what, if any, are the problems that can occure with this model when it reaches the kilometers my car has?
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    We purchased ours in March '98 with 14000 miles on it. Now have 32000 (don't know what that is in kilometers), but it is a rock-solid dependable vehicle. Nothing but routine maintenance so far. Good gas mileage (about 25 miles per gallon city driving, higher on the highway). Reading the other posts here, it looks like the later model Luminas (1995-99) have aged far better than the earlier models. Good winter car (we are in Minnesota). My only complaint is the seats don't have enough padding. Feels like my butt is gonna sink to the floor.
    Happy trails!
  • Buck531Buck531 Member Posts: 14
    I've had my Lumina LTZ now for about 2 years now and I bought it with 8300 miles on it and now it has 32k. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it except the brakes but that seems to be working fine now. As for the padding in the seats.. I know what you mean minnbill.. but I like to sit fairly low and relaxed in the car so that's not that big of an issue for me. Other than the brakes, the car has been excellent.. I just can't wait to pay the damn thing off!

Buck
  • sorreshsorresh Member Posts: 1
    I also have owned my '98 Lumina for a couple of years. I bought it new and now have 41,000 miles on it. Routine maintenance is all that has been required. My teen drove it into a ditch but the repair was very reason,less than $1000. The auto body man said these cars are build well and took the side hit well. My teen was not hurt except in the pocket book. The car serves us well. The gas mileage is good. It is quiet and solid. The trunk is LARGE. I like this car much better than the Sable I had. The only thing I don't like is the seat. The salesperson tried to talk me into a "better" seat but I am only 125 pounds and I didn't think it would be important. Boy! was I dumb. I think the springs are shot. The right hip seats higher. Odd! Don't you think? I love the car but need to get the seat repaired or replaced.
  • aura_xtreamaura_xtream Member Posts: 4
    In my opinion, Sable is better choice for middle size sedan ( though Sable and Lumina are large) especially the new is more refined than it already was plus it looks very sleek and expensive than it really is. but i think Sable/taurus actually got better when the 1996 ones came out.
  • montana17montana17 Member Posts: 2
    Well I'll place my .02 in here as well. I purchased my Lumina brand new in 1995 with the 3.4 L V6, ABS and Control-Trac. Now it has +140,000 miles on it and it still rides smooth and quietly. I have never had to buy a new tranny. It's age is starting to show now.I have had to replace the alternator, (out of my pocket, warranty expired in 1998), earlier it wouldn't start one time, had it towed to a dealer, (cost me a fortune), all it needed was a jumpstart! Now it's problem free and I intend to keep it for a little while more. Overall i believe the Lumina is a nice and refined family car, too bad it was discontinued for the ugly and plain Impala. The only regret I have is not buying the LTZ, which has more equipment than the LS. i.e CD player, spoiler.
  • robichaudrobichaud Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 1999 Lumina instead of the Sable/Taurus because of my own observation rather than consumer reports recommendation. My company purchases sable's for their fleet cars and then sells them to employees before they are even 1 year old, I frequently drive a company car and know several other people as well who drive them as well and I always here the same complaints about the transmission problems and brake problems, 100% of the people that I know who had to have their front brakes done also had to replace the rotors (I don't get it). I think the new sable is the best looking one so far, however, I would be leary of purchasing one and for a few more bucks I would go with the grand marquis if I wanted to go with a merc./ford product. Now for the Lumina, the lumina is a an average, nothing fancy car, however, I do know a few people who have them and most have been trouble free, since my lumina is a 1999 with 20,000 miles on it it's to early to say how it will hold up, but, my father in-laws 1995 has held up very well (125,000 miles so far), his car has had 2 brake jobs and still has the original rotors. I paid $15900 for my 1999 lumina with remote keyless entry and a CD player as well as all the other things like p/w, a/c etc. Could you have purchased a 1999 sable for that?? (I really don't know), I only looked at the camry and lumina when I made my purchase and car for car you really can't compare the 2 in my opinion because the lumina is so much larger, gave a better ride as well as a quieter ride for much less money, the only thing the camry had over the lumina was a reliability track record.

Robi
  • gjmcogjmco Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone knew if the 1996 Lumina LS equiped with the 3.4L V6 was the older DOHC or newer OHV engine? Also, does anyone have any experience with this year Lumina with the 3.4 L engine that they could share as far as gas mileage and reliablity. I'm looking at one with 97,000 highway miles on it now and wondering if it is worth a second look.
  • wacboyjulianwacboyjulian Member Posts: 1
    My grandma had a 99' Lumina and is in her 80's. She recently got in a terrible car accident which was her fault for crashing into someone else head on. She somehow was going to make a right turn but steered her car to a left turn behind a truck so the car who hit her ( might i mention that the man was going at least 30) was unable to see in time to swerve by her. I say that if we had not bought a car for her with good crash ratings, she might not be with us today.

I wrote this because i ask that you remind yourself that safty counts and please consider cars that have good crash ratings because you can always buy a new car but you can never replace a lost loved one.

Thanks for reading~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Julian
  • cigsmhcigsmh Member Posts: 16
    I have Lumina 1993 with 188000km on it.
    I like this car very much. I bought it when it was already 168000km on it.
    I replaced a battery,oxigen sensor, and breaks.
    Thats it. My wife has a Toyota Corolla 2000 and I can't drive it after Lumina. I got always back pain after this car. Lumina has fully adjustable driver sitting and it is a plessure to drive this car for a long distance.
    It is strong like a rock. No problem at all. No one time put me out of the road.Very good on a high speed. Can easily handle a sharp turns. It is not a race car, but not a slow one.
    I am going to sell it and to buy Impala.
    Police took this car for themself,so it says something.
    Who is interesting in Lumina 1993 just e-mail me.
    I am from Toronto igor_me2001@yahoo.com
    I will sell it cheap. I am in a hurry :)
  • jaslo3jaslo3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 chevy Lumina. I was wondering if anyone has used stop leak to fix a radiator leak. I am not sure to use it or not, will it gum up the engine. If anyone has any experience with this it would be a great help.