Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Lumina

Comments

• We purchased ours in March '98 with 14000 miles on it. Now have 32000 (don't know what that is in kilometers), but it is a rock-solid dependable vehicle. Nothing but routine maintenance so far. Good gas mileage (about 25 miles per gallon city driving, higher on the highway). Reading the other posts here, it looks like the later model Luminas (1995-99) have aged far better than the earlier models. Good winter car (we are in Minnesota). My only complaint is the seats don't have enough padding. Feels like my butt is gonna sink to the floor.
    Happy trails!
  • I've had my Lumina LTZ now for about 2 years now and I bought it with 8300 miles on it and now it has 32k. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it except the brakes but that seems to be working fine now. As for the padding in the seats.. I know what you mean minnbill.. but I like to sit fairly low and relaxed in the car so that's not that big of an issue for me. Other than the brakes, the car has been excellent.. I just can't wait to pay the damn thing off!

Buck
  • I also have owned my '98 Lumina for a couple of years. I bought it new and now have 41,000 miles on it. Routine maintenance is all that has been required. My teen drove it into a ditch but the repair was very reason,less than $1000. The auto body man said these cars are build well and took the side hit well. My teen was not hurt except in the pocket book. The car serves us well. The gas mileage is good. It is quiet and solid. The trunk is LARGE. I like this car much better than the Sable I had. The only thing I don't like is the seat. The salesperson tried to talk me into a "better" seat but I am only 125 pounds and I didn't think it would be important. Boy! was I dumb. I think the springs are shot. The right hip seats higher. Odd! Don't you think? I love the car but need to get the seat repaired or replaced.
  • In my opinion, Sable is better choice for middle size sedan ( though Sable and Lumina are large) especially the new is more refined than it already was plus it looks very sleek and expensive than it really is. but i think Sable/taurus actually got better when the 1996 ones came out.
  • Well I'll place my .02 in here as well. I purchased my Lumina brand new in 1995 with the 3.4 L V6, ABS and Control-Trac. Now it has +140,000 miles on it and it still rides smooth and quietly. I have never had to buy a new tranny. It's age is starting to show now.I have had to replace the alternator, (out of my pocket, warranty expired in 1998), earlier it wouldn't start one time, had it towed to a dealer, (cost me a fortune), all it needed was a jumpstart! Now it's problem free and I intend to keep it for a little while more. Overall i believe the Lumina is a nice and refined family car, too bad it was discontinued for the ugly and plain Impala. The only regret I have is not buying the LTZ, which has more equipment than the LS. i.e CD player, spoiler.
  • I purchased a 1999 Lumina instead of the Sable/Taurus because of my own observation rather than consumer reports recommendation. My company purchases sable's for their fleet cars and then sells them to employees before they are even 1 year old, I frequently drive a company car and know several other people as well who drive them as well and I always here the same complaints about the transmission problems and brake problems, 100% of the people that I know who had to have their front brakes done also had to replace the rotors (I don't get it). I think the new sable is the best looking one so far, however, I would be leary of purchasing one and for a few more bucks I would go with the grand marquis if I wanted to go with a merc./ford product. Now for the Lumina, the lumina is a an average, nothing fancy car, however, I do know a few people who have them and most have been trouble free, since my lumina is a 1999 with 20,000 miles on it it's to early to say how it will hold up, but, my father in-laws 1995 has held up very well (125,000 miles so far), his car has had 2 brake jobs and still has the original rotors. I paid $15900 for my 1999 lumina with remote keyless entry and a CD player as well as all the other things like p/w, a/c etc. Could you have purchased a 1999 sable for that?? (I really don't know), I only looked at the camry and lumina when I made my purchase and car for car you really can't compare the 2 in my opinion because the lumina is so much larger, gave a better ride as well as a quieter ride for much less money, the only thing the camry had over the lumina was a reliability track record.

Robi
  • gjmcogjmco Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone knew if the 1996 Lumina LS equiped with the 3.4L V6 was the older DOHC or newer OHV engine? Also, does anyone have any experience with this year Lumina with the 3.4 L engine that they could share as far as gas mileage and reliablity. I'm looking at one with 97,000 highway miles on it now and wondering if it is worth a second look.
  • My grandma had a 99' Lumina and is in her 80's. She recently got in a terrible car accident which was her fault for crashing into someone else head on. She somehow was going to make a right turn but steered her car to a left turn behind a truck so the car who hit her ( might i mention that the man was going at least 30) was unable to see in time to swerve by her. I say that if we had not bought a car for her with good crash ratings, she might not be with us today.

I wrote this because i ask that you remind yourself that safty counts and please consider cars that have good crash ratings because you can always buy a new car but you can never replace a lost loved one.

Thanks for reading~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Julian
  • cigsmhcigsmh Posts: 16
    I have Lumina 1993 with 188000km on it.
    I like this car very much. I bought it when it was already 168000km on it.
    I replaced a battery,oxigen sensor, and breaks.
    Thats it. My wife has a Toyota Corolla 2000 and I can't drive it after Lumina. I got always back pain after this car. Lumina has fully adjustable driver sitting and it is a plessure to drive this car for a long distance.
    It is strong like a rock. No problem at all. No one time put me out of the road.Very good on a high speed. Can easily handle a sharp turns. It is not a race car, but not a slow one.
    I am going to sell it and to buy Impala.
    Police took this car for themself,so it says something.
    Who is interesting in Lumina 1993 just e-mail me.
    I am from Toronto igor_me2001@yahoo.com
    I will sell it cheap. I am in a hurry :)
  • I have a 1995 chevy Lumina. I was wondering if anyone has used stop leak to fix a radiator leak. I am not sure to use it or not, will it gum up the engine. If anyone has any experience with this it would be a great help.
  • I haven't read all the messages, but in contrast to the glowing reports of other Lumina owners, I am now looking to trade in my LS and its crappy 3.4L engine. I have owned my car since May '97, only have 59,000 mis. on it and have been nickeled and dimed out of a lot more than a nickel or a dime. Mushy brakes, back brakes that were never set for the brake pads to make contact with anything, dead alternator, fritzed-out windshield wipers, etc., etc. The latest and, hopefully, last disaster was a solenoid stuck open on the EGR assembly ($265 for new assembly, $440 entire bill). Unfortunately, the hot emissions gasses from the opening have fried my 5th and 6th "double-platinum" spark plugs and I'm now facing another $130 bill to replace them all. Hopefully, I'll find something else soon. Love the interior and the roominess, but I hate the $750 a year in upkeep. If anyone notices a high revving at start-up that alternates with a putt-putting idle, have the EGR checked or you could be looking at a compounding problem. (Cleaning doesn't work, the assembly needs replaced - paid for one of them too.) Good Luck!
  • I bought a new 1997 LS with a 3.1 . The car ran fine until 66K. The service engine light came on so I took it in and was told it needed a new fuel injector to the tune of $317.00. I had it put in and drove another two weeks and another injector went out. I than lost my sense of humor and raised holy ---- with the dealer. I explained to him that I was not paying another $ 317.00 for an injector so he better get on the phone with the zone rep. and get this taken care of. He did and GM paid for that one and two more that followed within a month. I than decided my car was to unreliable so I traded for a new 1999 Lumina LS with a 3.1 engine thinking that the 97 must have been a fluk. Well guess what, at 15K the engine starts running ruff and I says to myself , SELF ,no this can't be, but yes it was, the injectors are fouling out, but GM found an easier way to fix the problem this time, they flush them out with some kind of fluid which removes the blockage. This happened in oct.2000. Guess where I was yesterday, back at my friendly GM dealer getting the injectors flushed again at 21300 miles. looks like a regular part of maintenance now. So to say the 3.1 is a good engine I can not agree with. I believe GM does not make the 3.1 any more. Anybody else out there with the same problem?
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    GM still makes the 3.1l engine. You can found them at least in three 2001 cars: Chevy Malibu, Buick Century, and Pontiac Grand Prix.

Though, in the summer of 1999 GM changed the design somewhat (mostly the engine intake), and currently the engine makes 170-175 hp, instead of 150-155.

Concerning the injectors:

I have a 98 Chevy Malibu with the same 3.1l engine. My dealer cleaned the injectors with the 30k miles maintenance. It cost about $100 (injectors only: total was about $400, including serpentine belt, thorough inspection of the car, and several small things).

Did not feel anything bad with the engine before cleaning, and did not notice any difference after. Probably, you are using a gas producing more deposits, or have a bad fuel filter.
  • The engine started lossing power, like it was missing. Than the dash light came on. All the dealer has to do is plug the analizer into the car computer and they can tell which cylinder is miss firing, and how many times. GM will tell you to add a fuel line cleaner to your gas every 1500 miles to keep the injectors clean. In fact they will even sell you some for about $7.50 a bottle. I think not. I did'nt buy a new car so I can add fuel line cleaner every week and a half at $7.50 a pop.I received a survey after the first time they cleaned them out and I explained what happened to my 1997 and that I really was not up for that same problem on my 1999. I also told them that I will not be paying to clean the injectors when the warrantee runs out. Well this must have got their attention because they called me and we had a nice chat. GM has started a file on my car for every time it goes in. Boy do I ever feel special having my very own file, what a lucky guy I am, yea right.
  • In addition to my previous message about the wonders of the LS model, I have also experienced an alarming oil consumption by my 3.4L nightmare. In every other car I have owned, I have seldom had to add oil between filter changes. I add approximately three quarts now. Just love those dashboard lights! If it isn't "service engine soon" it's "low oil". Looked at a very nice Taurus tonight. Hope Chevy chokes on my Lumina.
  • I'm looking at a '92 Lumina with 135,000 miles to drive until I can get a new car in about 6 mos.My Voyager needs another transmission ! I drive 500-600 highway miles to and from work every week and need a reliable car. This one has been maintained by my mechanic and he says its a "good car", also that the "brakes are good" (seems that's an issue). Any advice or comments would be appreciated in making my choice. How do they handle in snow ? What kind of gas mileage do they get? Any major problems to look for? It drives well,(no noises, skips or other noticeable problems) and started after 2 weeks buried in a snow bank. Got any advice ?
  • WE OWN A 1993 LAMINA EURO 3.4 AND HAVE FOR THE LAST SIX MONTHS REGRETTED IT! SINCE THE SUMMER OF 2000 IT HAS COST US DEARLY $600 FOR ITS' SECOND ALTERNATOR $500 FOR A FUEL PUMP $700 FOR A SENSOR!!!! YES A SENSOR BURIED IN THE ENGINE THAT TOOK EIGHT HOURS LABOR AND FINALLY A CHRISTMAS PRESENT OF A BLOWN HEAD GASKET ESTIMATE;$1030.00 WHILE They're IN THERE FIXING THAT IT WAS RECOMMENDED WE REPLACE THE TIMING BELT,TENSIONER AND WATER PUMP. TOTAL $1500.I THINK CM SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OF THIS BEAUTY. THEY HAVE FOUND THIS ENGINE TO BE A GOLD MINE OF REPAIR BILLS. SO MUCH IN FACT THAT THE TOOLS USED IN THE REPAIR OF THE 3.4 ARE NOT AVAILABLE TO OTHER REPAIR SHOPS OF ANY SIZE. WHEN I CALLED AROUND TO FIND A SHOP TO POSSIBLY DO THE JOB CHEAPER I WAS MET WITH THE NEWS THAT CHEWY HAS THE MARKET ALL WRAPPED UP AND THE TOOLS ALSO FOR THE 3.4 REPAIRS.I HAVE ALWAYS BOUGHT GM AND MY BROTHER WORKS FOR GM.THE LUMINA WE OWN HAS HAD NOTHING BUT TLC SINCE THE DAY IT CAME HOME.WE CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT ELSE COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN TO THIS CAR BUT HOPE THAT NOTHING DOES UNTIL WE GET SOMETHING NEW TO REPLACE IT THIS SUMMER!!!! STERLING1953
  • I'll be looking at a 98 LTZ w/37K on it. After reviewing many posts it seems that the only significant problem areas are the brakes fading and the mushy seats.

Is the seat problem related to the split bench, cloth buckets or any available seat? The one I'm looking at has cloth buckets. Any other areas of concern I should consider when looking at this vehicle?
  • Go for it. You won't be sorry. I had the same car, prior to trading it in for my 2000 Impala LS. I really liked the LTZ. The main reason I traded was because I had one of the rare LTZ's that had the 3.1 and not the 3.8 liter engine.
  • Hi there. I was wondering. I have a 1997 Chevy Lumina with a 3.1 V-6. Has anyone had any problems related to the maroon/burgundy paint on the Lumina's? And has anyone had any problems with their Daylights? I have had mine rewired I know 3 times at the dealer (or at least they say they did), it's been in numerous times for blown fuses regarding the daylights and blown fuses that knock out my a/c. I CANNOT get my daylights to stay on. As soon as I would pull out from the dealer, they would go right back off!!! (Could be the dealer, huh?) I bought it used when the car was 1 year old. I have had it 2 years come January 13th, and other than the problems mentioned above, it's been a pretty good car. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to read this.
  • My girl friend has a 1994 Lumina Euro with the 3.1 V6. I am trying to find the pcv valve so I can replace it. I found one web site that said on top of the motor between the valve covers. Does that mean under the intake or am I just not seeing it? Thanks
  • soaru2soaru2 Posts: 1
    My Sister's 95 Chewy Lamina experienced a brake spring failure during her recent visit for the Holidays. She mentioned a noise and a clunk and noticed her brake light come on for a short time. She then drove the car for about 100 miles to my house and the next morning when leaving the rear passenger wheel was locked solid. I took off the wheel to have a look at the drum and when removing the drum had a piece of the spring fall out. I was able to get a replacement spring and installed it. She was then able to continue on her trip and made it back home OK. The issue here is: The spring broke in an area where there is no material in contact with it, thus there was no wearing potential, it fractured cleanly, and I am wondering if any other people out there have had a similar experience? It seems to me that if the wheel locked up while driving there could have been dire consequences. The spring is a single horse shoe shaped type.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    That engine is a failure because it was essentially a Pushrod powerplant converted 'on the fly' to a cammed engine, hence the problems most Lumina 3.4L DOHC have been putting up during all these years. This engine was never conceived as a cammed designed from the ground up.

GM finally discontinued this beast in the late 1990's and the Lumina was given (as it should have been a long time before) the powerful and bulletproof 3800 engine. When buying a used Lumina, make sure the car doesn't have the 3400 DOHC engine in it. The Lumina should be a reliable car with either pushrod V-6 on 3.1L and 3.8L displacements.

Also check out the 2000/01 Impala, a cut above the Lumina.

Note: the 3400 OHV V-6 found on the base Y2K Impala is in NO WAY RELATED to the infamous 3400 DOHC V-6 engine on earlier Luminas. The 3400 found on the Impala is a solid reliable engine (Altough the 3800 Series II is the best of the best)and it is used in many other GM vehicle applications:

* Pontiac Grand AM
    * Oldsmobile Alero
    * Chevrolet Impala (Base)
    * Chevy Venture and Pontiac Montana Minivans.

The 3400 DOHC V-6 is no longer in production. Beware of this engine!
  • Hey there NASCAR, had a 1998 Lumina LTZ for a three year lease commencing in Aug of 1997. Over all, it was a great car. Mine had the 3.8 V6 and was loaded and was super reliable. Jump at the chance to get one if it's still available. The leather seat padding was a bit too thin for my liking however. But, that was basically the only problem.

Was looking to get a Impala LS, but it just didn't fit me to well. After driving Chevy's for the last 15 years, I ended up leasing a loaded 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium with adjustable pedals. This car fits me perfectly. I hope other car manufactures start incorporating adjustable pedals. Again, if you can lay your hands on a 3.8 LTZ, do it. Good luck NASCAR!
  • Buck531Buck531 Posts: 14
    I currently have a 98 LTZ with approx. 33k miles on it. I'm looking for performance parts for the car. Especially a new exaust and air intake systems (ram air or what not). I haven't found a place anywhere on the net that handles stock replacements for this car. I could get a universal muffler but I don't want to deal with trying to get it to fit. Has anyone out there found a web site for performance parts on Lumina's. I've been to the local parts stores and they laugh at me when I say I want a new exaust for it. Hell, it's pushing 200 Hp now.. why can't I upgrade to say... 230 or 240? It beats the crap out of a lot of cars out there on the road now. Thanks.

Buck
  • I own a 98 Lumina with 30000 miles. So far from the day I bought it, the car has been problem free. What's happening now is that if I turn the vent control to have the top vents work, the air comes from underneath the dash instead. Up to this point if I came off the accelerator the air would come from underneath the dash to the above front vents, but now it's constantly coming from underneath. Anyone experience this problem? If so what were the causes? Thanks.
  • You have a classic case of a vacuum leak. The HVAC system runs off of engine vacuum. If there is a vacuum leak the vents will blow from the bottom or heater position. When you accelerate the vacuum builds up and the air is able to blow from the vent position. But your leak has grown and now the engine simply doesn't have enough vacuum left to control the HVAC system. I had the same problem. It cost very little..... like $80 to fix.
  • Thanks for your input nafrong00.. much appreciated. Im still covered under the warranty so it wont cost me anything but a little time at the Chevy dealer. Thanks again.
  • ssmartssmart Posts: 7
    Buck, I know your message was posted a while back considering today is Jan. 30, 2001. Just in case you haven't been to the dealer about that noise in the front end of your car especially first thing in the morning, mine was doing the exact same thing and your front struts need to be replaced. I just got mine Jan. 2001 with 25,000 miles on it.
  • ssmartssmart Posts: 7
    To netmaner,

My 90 Euro started leaking oil real bad and I thought I was from the main seal. Come to find out, the intake manifolds still have a hole in them where the distributor used to install. There is a cover with 1 bolt and an -ring. My mechanic called it the "oil pump seal". It was about $100 to diagnose and repair. He put a die in my oil to make sure he knew exactly were the leak was coming from. Hope this helps. I know your post was a long time ago.