Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Lumina

Comments

• achillesachilles Member Posts: 8
    Thank you both for your comments. I took the car back to the dealer that does my oil changes and had the "3 pedals in 5 seconds" sequence done which made the change oil soon light to go away. I still want to check for possibility of coolant contamination. Can you tell with the naked eye or does a mechanic need to do an analysis of the oil? Is it relatively cheap to have a mechanic do this analysis? Thank you.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    I have read that there are several symptoms of coolant in oil, like something of "mayonnaise" consistence in oil cap. I am sure that good mechanic would recognize it. However, I probably could not recognize it, without experience.

I believe, that more reliable way is oil analysis. Car owner collects a bit of oil (siphon, or drain), sends the sample to laboratory, and receives results by mail. There are special kits for this, they costs about $20.

Again, I never did it myself. You'd better ask on oil conference, Engine Oil

The last: the 3.1l engine is prone to developing a leak from intake manifold. Common General Motor's 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 V6's engine problems
    I had such experience with my car, a 98 Malibu (the same engine).

If coolant leaks inside engine, it contaminates oil; otherwise it simply leaks, eating slowly the metal. GM recommends a yearly pressure check of coolant system in Malibu manual. The check costs about $20 to $25 at local Firestone. I did it about a years ago and found a leak.

Replacing the intake manifold gasket cost me $550 at the Firestone. Probably would be even more expensive at dealership, but Firestone is not a cheap place either.
  • wijijunewijijune Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone :)

I'm a new member. I'm not an American and never used American car before, so I know very few about it. It's the first time I checked this website and, fortunately, found this discussion room. I have a couple of problems and I'm sure that someone here can help me.

I just bought my Chevy, Lumina'96 a month ago. The old owner, who is also not an American, didn't know anything about this car(even he used this car for two years). Neither do I. I, then, have to figure everything out by myself.

1. The milage is 105,000. I would like to ask if it's the time to change a timing belt. If so, how much it will cost?
    2. "service engine soon" light has come up. The old owner said it's been like this for a while. He had checked the car and there was no problem. What can be the cause of this sign and what should I do?

Thank you so much.
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    There is no timing belt on any Lumina engines, chain only, not a maintenance item. The most common cause for check engine lite and no performance change is a loose or defective gas cap on OBD11 cars. A scanner would confirm this as the code would be in history if the lite was not on at the time of checking.
  • ricks2ricks2 Member Posts: 17
    No timing belt, but check the serpentine belt. At 100K, its probably time to change it. Mine was about $50 (US) (parts & labor).
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    The Haynes manual for 95-98 Lumina shows that 3.4 DOHC engine has a timing belt.
  • wijijunewijijune Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for all answers :)
  • jagonejagone Member Posts: 39
    Our 1996 Lumina has been virtually problem free through 6-years and 3-months ownership since purchasing new in April-1996. Figure we'll be able to milk this sweetheart to 10-years easy maybe even 12. I believe the best mid-size sedan value out there at this time is the 2002 Chevrolet Malibu. My Mother-in-law just got one out the door nicely equipped for $16,000, its truly a real nice car for the money! Well everyone enjoy their Chevrolets, they're far better than most people say or think!
  • czanfardino1czanfardino1 Member Posts: 8
    Can somebody help?
    I just purchased a 98 lumina and when i'm running the ac the air comes out of the vent for a while then after a minute or so air stops coming out of vents and starts coming out thru the vents on the floor.It continues(vents on dashboard and floor) to switch back and forth.Does anyone Know what could be causing this problem?
    Thanks
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    On 1995-00 Luminas with the 3.1 V-6, how does one change the rear spark plugs? Do you have to unbolt the engine mounts and tilt the engine forward for easier access? My best friend's dad has a '97 Lumina and he does not know how to change the back plugs.
  • topfivebobtopfivebob Member Posts: 4
    I have had this problem for several summers now: when the A/C runs for a long period of time, the carpet under the driver's feet gets wet. This NOT water coming from outside the car. (I've had several service people insist that this is the cause, even though we have had no rain were I live for nearly a month, but I run the A/C every day.) I took it to a local radiator place who thought it was a clogged drainage tube, but that turned out not to be the case. They said they have seen this in other Luminas (mine's a 96) but have yet to find a cause.
    Any suggestions?
    yes to your question, tilting the engine forward is the correct procedure.
    First I would pull back the carpet and water test the car to see if there is an actual water leak, if not run the A/C on a humid day and check the water flow from the drain tube. Don't just poke something up the drain tube you could damage the evaporator!
    Does anyone know how to reset the radio code without going to dealer and giving them @59.
    The radio shows " LOC"
  • sse97bnvllesse97bnvlle Member Posts: 19
    I used to have a 92 lumina before I got my bonneville and it had the same kind of problem from the sound of it. My a/c first started off by going from the vents to the floor and then the cruise control went out. After driving for months like that I found out it was a little vacuum thing. Its like a connector that three hoses plug into....anyways it had a hole in it. Replaced it and everything worked. It was in the engine compartment by the drivers side wheel well and top of the strut. its kinda shaped like this ----> [_> if that helps any (lol) and it has an l shaped part on the tip and two on the sides where the hoses kinda of clamp on....u cant see the L shaped thing until u take it off. It has three really small hoses connecting to it not even a 1/4 inch in diam. and the part was made of black plastic. Maybe I confused you with all that stuff but Im just trying to describe it the best I can so maybe it will help.
    Check your owners manual. Dont have mine on hand its in the car but its really easy. I know ive seen it in there how to unlock the radio if it shows that. As long as you know the code u can at least.
    Thanks for your help but my problem is i don't have the code.
    I bought the cd player at junk yard and cannot unlock it without the code
    Help!
  • kimberly30141kimberly30141 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 1997 Chevy Lumina 3.1 V-6, standard sedan. I have owned it since January of 1999. I bought it from a dealer with only one other owner of the vehicle. I had problems with the day running lamps from the beginning. That, however, is not the problem. In March, the original battery in the car went dead. Went to Sam's Club, bought a Champion, fine until July 20th. Had to have the car towed home because it "refused" to crank. It would "click" when I tried to crank, would not even turn over. I went back to Sam's and exchanged the battery thinking maybe a bad cell, as of today, I am not so sure. It is now doing what it did on July 20th, I'm so mad I could spit nails. The only reason I even bother with the car is because it's paid for. I don't want car payments. I cannot believe that I have received TWO bad batteries, something is draining my battery and I don't know what. Has anyone out there in internet land with a Lumina ever experienced anything remotely close to this problem??? Please help. I'm at my wit's end with this car and am completely fed up. Thanks for all your help in advance:)
    You need to have the charging system checked. Alternators are a weak point on the Lumina. I have the same car and the only component I've replaced is the alternator. If the alternator is not working your battery will discharge and car won't start. Make sure you get a good remanufactured one, with a two year warranty if possible.
    Thank you for your response. You were correct. It was my alternator. Cost me $44 to fix it. Not too bad. However, now I have yet ANOTHER problem. The AC. Just going down the road, not accelerating or anything, just going down a straight away, the air stops blowing through the vents, then comes back harder and colder about 4 seconds after it stops blowing through the vents. Have you ever experienced this? Know anyone who has? I'm seriously considering getting rid of it, but don't really want to. It's paid for, and I hate car payments, but if it costs more to repair than what it's worth, forget it. It has nearly 80,000 miles on it and it's almost 6 years old, but has been dependable. Any suggestions?
    You missed a digit or did't get a new alternator unless you picked it up at the junkyard, since they cost more than $44. About $200 for a reman, more for new. Haven't experienced your AC problem with the Lumina but another car I had would make the AC quit when the engine was under load, e.g., accelerating hard. Do you have a heavy foot? Sounds as if you don't like this car so you may as well sell it while you can still get something for it.
    Just FYI. I'm not off a digit. The reman alternator from AutoZone was $99. A $55 core charge included in the $99. Do the math. I do not have a heavy foot either. Thanks for your responses.
    FYI the labor charge alone would be more than $44. Reman likely done in a third world county.
    My only guess would be to take your car to the dealership and see if they can unlock the radio somehow. Don't know how much it would cost I wouldnt think it would be much but who knows...
  • joecugjoecug Member Posts: 15
    I recently inherited a 92 Lumina with
    about 70k miles on it. Car runs good
    but brakes are terrible. I understand
    there was a class action suit to
    recompense owners for brake repairs.
    My dad had made several repair
    attempts before he passed but nothing
    seems to work. The deadline for
    submitting repair costs to GM has
    gone by, nevertheless I'd like to
    do whatever it takes to fix the
    brake problems. Anyone who has had
    experience with brake problems on the
    92 Lumina and knows of a worthwhile
    solution would e appreciated
    My Lumina isn't that old but my guess would be master cylinder needs replacing, but I would get one or two estimates from independent mechanics since they should be able to easily diagnose the problem by inspecting the braking system.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I had a '91 Grand Prix with the same brake problems. Basically, it was a poor rear caliper design which caused the rear calipers to freeze, open. This causes the front brakes to do all of the work, and wear very quickly.

I paid for several brake jobs (the only major problem I had with that car in 120,000 miles over 5 years), with several sets of remanufactured rear calipers from a third-party. GM dealers had a tool to fix the rear calipers, which third-party places didn't have. Have the GM dealer fix the calipers, and then use your parking brake religiously. This keeps the rear calipers moving/from freezing, and helps prevent the premature brake wear.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • kimmielacrumkimmielacrum Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Lumima LS. It will not start and I have had the starter taken off and tested. When I put the key in the ignition and try to start it all of the lights come and nothing happens. I even had someone use a screwdriver to start it under the engine, but it just would not turn over. Can someone help me and give a suggestions on what this could possibly be?
    Make sure your alternator is functional, and that your battery still has a charge. Just having the lights on doesn't really say much.

The alternator is a weak spot in the Lumina (one of a surprising few), and may sooner than later lead to a dead battery (had to replace both early last year on my '96 Lumina, right before I sold it :-)

Hope this helps,

--Robert
    Bad alternator can make some warning lights stay on. Has anyone received assistance from GM on these alternators? Mine replaced at 30K miles. Only part needed--a low maintenance vehicle.
  • hookramerhookramer Member Posts: 8
    i just recently became a proud owner of a 96 lumina ls .the car has leather seats the 3.4 liter dohc engine and the ls rims...does anyone know if i can switch my factory cassette deck to the factory cd player ,,,also any other feedback on the car would be appreciated
    thanks
    jeff
    Had to replace our alternator on our 1996 Lumina at 38,000 miles otherwise no other problems other than car has been hard on brakes just about every 25,000 miles. I've heard that many GM makes and models over the past 10-years have been hard on brakes. My brother-in-law has a 1996 GMC Jimmy SUV and he's told me that he's had to do his brakes almost every 20,000 miles on that GMC Jimmy.
    I am easy on cars and have 30K miles on original brakes. IMO you can't compare a sedan to a truck since the truck weighs more so would expect the brakes to wear faster.

Since the alternators aren't very expensive GM is getting away with this inferior part. I got a rebuilt with 2 yr. warranty--not from GM!
    I got a rebuilt with 2 yr. warranty--not from GM!

Same here!
    Changed the front pads at 57k on my '96 Lumina. Took me 6 months to sell it when I got my Aurora, so I had to change the front rotors before I sold it (70k).My wife's car went 49k before it needed pads. I can be hard on brakes, but the '95 and up Luminas (which were front disc, rear drum) were fine.

The first-generation Lumina, Grand Prix, Cutlass, and Regal were 4-wheel discs, but had problems with the rear calipers seizing open, causing the fronts to do all of the work, and the need for multiple brake jobs. The '95 and later Luminas should not have this problem...
  • sekluminaseklumina Member Posts: 3
    proud owner of a 1997 lumina, was rear-ended at about 35 MPH, smacked up back end. Frame damage was done, how are the Lumina's after this kind of accident. Owned car for year before accident. Getting car back soon, thank god. Any info, please help.

Shawn
  • pvnguyenpvnguyen Member Posts: 21
    I've been a loyal customer of GM. I currently own a 2002 Buick Rendezvous, 2000 Pontiac Montana, 1998 Buick Regal, and 1996 Chevy Lumina. I think everyone should know that GM sucks! I replaced the Lumina's engine last year due to a coolant leak at 65K ($5.5K). Earlier this year, I replaced the gaskets on the Regal due to a coolant leak ($750) and this past week, I replaced the the Montana's intake manifold gaskets for $700. Apparently, there is a known problem with the gaskets and dex cool coolant combo. I'm now using the regular green stuff. If you don't believe me, check this site out:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?GMcnsmrs&1

Sell your GM car while you can...

No need to worry! It'll come back just like brand new because like most car's out on the highway today have uni-body (No-Frame) construction. In the old days like in many light trucks today an independent frame was involved. The frame was the zinger! Unless it was perfectly straightened and re-aligned, you had numerous problems. With unit-body construction it is not as sturdy or does not offer as much protection in a collision as an independent frame will. But it is much easier for a body shop technician to straighten and re-align as opposed to an independent frame.
    i can tell you i like my lumina better than the pontiac sunfire i am renting, too small. no power.

p.s. has taken over two weeks to fix my car. hope its better than new when i get it back.

shawn
    4 or 5 year old Lumina's with average mileage or less and in decent condition make great used family cruiser purchase's. They provide excellent value in everyway as a used family car purchase, much better than a 4 or 5 year old Dodge Intrepid or Ford Taurus. Other great 4 or 5 year olds are Honda Accord, Buick LeSabre or Mitsubishi Gallant's!
    GM turned down my request for "goodwill assistance" for replacement alternator on Lumina with 29K miles. Seems I didn't visit Mr. Goodwrench enough for maintenance. They certainly have some weird criteria for handing out the secret warranty bucks. Anyone have any luck getting GM to pick up the tab for their lousy alternators?
    i have had my rotors and brake pads replaced, and my car is still almost impossible to stop. Mechanics say everything is fine, also, when i go into reverse my brakes squeal really loud. Is there a remedy to this nightmare. I am afraid to back up because of the loud brake squeal. thank you.

Shawn
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    I have a 97 Monte which I replaced the rotors with raybestos ones and the pads with raybestos quiet stop. This was about $225 total. I have about 2000 miles on the set and no complaints. We have not had much wet weather here, and wet stopping power during a downpour was my chief complaint. If you have the 3.4 engine, check the vacuum hose from the engine to the power brake booster.I understand these get old and soft and collapse under the vacuum. The Monte has the the same brakes as the Lumina and I am happy with them otherwise. I have made emergency stops which surprized me at how fast the car stopped.
    i just bought a cd stereo to replace my cassete and it says lock ..does anyone know how to unlock it
    You would need the code that that the original owner used for the security setting, without this a delco dealer or Gm dealer can get it done(for a charge)
    thanks for the response
    i actually brought it to the dealer and paid $60 for him to do the code
  • scatmanscatman Member Posts: 5
    I am an owner of a 1996 Chevy Lumina with 130,000 miles on and the only problem that i have had so far would be the two front ball joints. but i am running into another small problem. the low oil light comes on when i start the car but if i shut it off and start it again, it goes off. also antifrezze and oil come up missing, i dont think its burnning it cuz i never smell it and it dont leave any puddles anywhare. has anyone else had this problem or know what to do about it?
  • sealantsealant Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 96 Lumina with 140,000 miles and have just recently serviced it for similar problem. I was loosing some coolant for a while with no visible leak. Didn't think too much of it at the time then last week while driving home from work the "low coolant" light came on. I pulled over immediately and discovered almost no coolant and still no visible leak. Checked my dipstick and discovered a crankcase full of water.
    It turned out to be the intake manifold gasket. It was probably going for a while but in it's early stages the coolant vaporized quicker than I could detect it in the oil, but when it finally broke loose completely there was no doubt. I was fortunate in that I stopped the engine before any other major damage occured since water makes a bad lubricant. You may also be experiencing the early stages of a bad intake manifold gasket as well. Good luck!
  • emmanuelchokeemmanuelchoke Member Posts: 97
    My 95 Lumina had the same symptoms at 100,000 miles. Here are the four most likely causes.
    1. The intake manifold gasket as sealant mentioned in post # 449.
    2. Head gasket.
    3. Warpage of the aluminum head.
    4. Valve seals. This won't cause coolant loss, but will cause excessive oil consumption. I put new gaskets on my car from the block up, and had a machinist plane the heads. He also installed new valve seals for me. At 170,000 miles the problems have yet to recur.
  • cintimcintim Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 lumina with the 3.4 engine. My mechanic mentioned that the timing belt should be replaced after 60,000 miles but the owners manual says it should be inspected only. Anyone have problems with their timing belt on this engine and at what mileage. Mine is approaching 70K. also what are the symptoms of it going out? Any help would be appreciated.