Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Lumina

Comments

• russell11russell11 Member Posts: 4
    I have always hear great things about 95-99 Luminas and it is obvious GM is building a great car. Why are they ending production?
  • tata098tata098 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!, I was looking into buying a chevy lumina 96 for $9500 with 40,000 miles. I was about to buy it, but then checked it on carfax, anf foudnb out it had 2 owners. One of them being a major rental car company. I was a bit hesitant to buying it sicne figuring tehre would be so many people driving it. Does anyone have any thoughts if i should go ahead and buy it even though it belonged to a rental company? Thanks
  • jertrojertro Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased the last 99 LTZ at my local dealer. It has all of the buttons and whistles available including leather and sun roof. With the $2000 rebate and dealer discount the bottom line was $17,500. I also have a 98 LS and have no complaints. The 3.8 engine really makes a differance in accelleration over the 3.1. I am sorry that this may be the last year for the Lumina.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Why are they discontinuing the Lumina? I read where Chevy execs are convinced the new Impala will be as big a seller as the Lumina. In fact, the 2000 Impala LS has almost the same equipment (3.8 engine and trans) as the LTZ. I guess they don't want duplication of effort with the Impala and Lumina. Besides, their rationale is they can then build more SUVs on the same production line used to build the Lumina. However, Chevy better think about an SS version of the Impala, with a more potent engine (supercharged 3.8), to compete with the Ford Taurus SHO and the Chrysler 300M.
  • Buck531Buck531 Member Posts: 14
    I bought my 98 Lumina LTZ in December of 98 with 8300 Miles on it ( and got it for 14.5k too!). Anyways, the car has just about 20k on it now and I love the car. I had a 91 Lumina Euro with 103k on it with no problems except the rear brakes. As for my 98, I've had the rotors in front turned and replaced twice. They still keep shimmying when I'm going around 60 MPH and higher and press on the brake pedal. I'm about to take it back again and tell them to replace the whole brake system. Ever since they changed the rotors, I've also been getting an annoying lound squeal in the front brakes. I took it back to the dealership and they said "every week or so, jam on the brakes real hard and that will get the brake dust off the rotors." I don't believe this since I drove another Lumina (rental car) and never had this problem. I'm finding out I need to "jam" on the brakes every time I get in the car when I let it sit for a few hours. It's getting real annoying and I'm going to take it back again (for the 4th time for the same problem). What's the lemon law for Ohio? But other than the annoying squealing in the brakes and the shaking of the front end, the car has been great to drive. The only option I don't have on it is the Sunroof which I didn't really want anyways. Oh well, ther was my 2 cents.

Shawn
  • jertrojertro Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any problems with the 99 LTZ steering? I have only driven 125 miles since I purchased my LTZ and notice the steering is stiff.
  • Buck531Buck531 Member Posts: 14
    The only problem I've had for steering in my 98 was that when it's real cold outside, the steering is kinda stiff when I turn the wheel. But after a few minutes it's ok. I guess the power steering pump needs to get up to par with the rest of the car.
  • garsarnogarsarno Member Posts: 72
    Bought my LTZ in 5/98 and has been a very good vehicle considering the way I drive it - usually fairly hard. I travel from Boston to Baltimore and all the area in between. So far, the $ I spent was one front disc brake replacement, new water pump at 51,000 miles. Have maintained the 3.8 with Mobil I 10W 30 oil every 3,500 - 4,000 miles and the transmission fluid changed at 20,000 and 50,000 miles. New Michelin X-1 tires at 40,000 miles (run Blizzaks for the winter). Put in a K&N air filter along with Splitfire spark plugs. Is there a power difference? I think so but it could be in my mind too. Not too many cars beat it away from a light. Plan to run this to 150,000 miles / 4 years. Recommend the LTZ to a Tee!
    Bought a '98 LTZ in July of '97 (they just came out). Raced an Impala SS ('94-'96) from a tollway cashbox last week. Stayed with him for about 3-4 seconds, then he pulled away. The SS has a 0-60 time of about 6.6 seconds (same as the Regal GS), while the LTZ has been clocked at about 7.8 seconds. So the LTZ does beat most cars, except the Camaro Z-28. One blew me away last night at a light. He was laughing. I was embarrased.
  • andys22andys22 Member Posts: 13
    heh, try a lumina ls ( 3.1) vs just about anything....my friend's windstar beat the heck outta me.... i killed a honda civic though ;-)
  • hoxxiehoxxie Member Posts: 1
    I am debating whether to buy a base or LS versus holding out for the right LTZ. The profile refers to the "wheezy engine" in the base model. Is that motor really "barely adequate"? How about the performance of an LTZ equipped with the standard 3.1 L engine? Also, what about the traction control, does that make a big difference? How does the "mushy suspension" effect performance?
    Chevy had discontinued the Lumina LTZ for the 2000 model year. My advice is to buy an Impala LS, which also has the 3800 Series II engine (like the '99 LTZ did). The 3.1 engine is OK, but the 3800 is so much better. It has been judged one of the 10 best engines on the planet!! You will also be getting a much better suspension package with the Impala LS.
  • ashura75ashura75 Member Posts: 2
    I know for a fact that Lumina is one of the value leader but it's style is very dated...don't you all think?...it's just my opinion but still....If I were to buy a Lumina, I'd ONLY consider the LTZ which looks quite better than the other models...:)
  • jkobtyjkobty Member Posts: 99
    I recently changed the brakes on my Lumina. Now whenever I hit the brakes slightly as I am turning the steering wheel to go around a crescent for example, I hear a knocking sound from the brakes. It is like they are loose or something. I tooks it back to the dealer but they could not find anything wrong (likely story).
    Did anyone get this problem before?
  • russell11russell11 Member Posts: 4
    I do not think the Lumina is anymore dated in its style than most sedans. It's not as bland as a Camry or Accord,just my 2cents.
  • jenishcrjenishcr Member Posts: 2
    I'm a big GM car fan, and love american cars... no offense but why would anyone want a lumina? They are very bland in style and the interior is hideous. Just curious
    Well let me just say that my wife's '98 Lumina LTZ is anything but bland looking. In fact, I believe Chevy used some of its great features when they designed the new Impala. It has aggressive looking aluminum wheels (like the '94-'96 Impala SS did), a 3800 Series II engine, a rear deck spoiler, etc. However, you won't have to look at the Lumina after this year, because it is being discontinued (the Impala takes its place).
  • coryeacoryea Member Posts: 1
    Hey Folks, I am about to pay $11,500 for a 98 lumina base with 31500 miles on it. I just found out that it was a rental car and was wondering if there is any reason I should not buy this car. Has anyone had any bad experiences with a previous rental? Does $11,500 sound like a good price? Any responses would be helpful. Thanks in advance, Dave
    I bought a 97 Lumina LS about a year ago. It was
    an ex daily rental as well. But it only had 33,000 KM on it (not miles). 31500 miles is a lot of miles to put on a vehicle in one year. Anyways,
    My Lumina is quite reliable. And it has excellent fuel efficiency. I did end up buying the extended warranty though just for my peace of mind. I suggest the same. Lumina is a tough cookie.
    Go for it. However you should be able to find a used Lumina for about the same price and less mileage.
  • kehwhhkehwhh Member Posts: 1
    I own a 97 lumina and I've never had a problem
    since I bought it new 40,000 miles ago; best car
    I've ever owned!!!
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    I bought my 98 Lumina base model new, and of all the cars that I owned in my life, this car is a joy to drive. I love it. Chevy did a great job making this car.
  • sand11sand11 Member Posts: 4
    The Chevy dealer I visited to test drive the New Impala..sent me the new Chevy brouchure...I was surprised that the Lumina wasn't even included in the list of what Chevy has to offer..not even a mention of the 2000 model..I guess they don't want to have to reprint the new brouchure again after 1999,minus the Lumina...which I think is a good looking car. Anyone have any thoughts on the wisdom or lack of for buying a car in it's last model year...or it's first model year..such as the Impala.
    I'm waiting until next year to consider buying an Impala. Actually I have to wait, because I'm paying off on a '98 Lumina LTZ purchased in '97. I'm hoping that Chevy works out all the bugs in the 2000 Impalas. I've also read where there's a good chance a V8 engine will be offered next year, probably in an SS version. It has been rumored that Chevy is testing an Impala with a V8 at its Arizona proving grounds.
    I don't have the luxury of waiting till next year to buy..The car my hubby drives to the train station every morning is so unreliable that we won't drive it out of town anymore..WE need a new car very soon.I'm still debating whether to try the Lumina..I only test drove the Impala when I was at the dealer.According to Jeff, my husband, he believes that we shouldn't cross the 2000 Impala off our list of possibilities just because it's in it's first year.I'm still up in the air about it.thanks your your input
    well..I went to my chevy dealer and asked to drive a Lumina...guess what?...They don't have anymore...I thought there was a 2000 model..I was wrong. I looked over the Impala..but the exposed screwheads in the door well..really look tacky.
    If you are still looking to buy an American car, do yourself a favor and test drive a Buick Regal GS. The acceleration is fantastic for a family sedan. It has a 240hp engine (the supercharged 3800 Series II), and has great looks (no exposed screwheads in the door wells). They are also considered very reliable. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • muttleymuttley Member Posts: 7
    Carsdirect is showing quotes for a base model 2000 Lumina. I'd give 'em a call and see if it's possible to get one, worth a shot anyway :)
    Hope this helps.
    Dan
  • monito1monito1 Member Posts: 3
    I had the opportunity of driving the new Impala. I enjoyed the car and I think it offers a lot of car for the money. I think Chevy has introduced a good contender for next year. The main problem I see with the Impala is the bodywork styling which is not suit to please everybody, but then again this car is for those who want to brake away from the Accord/Camry/Taurus look alike pack.

During my car search I also have given a good amount of consideration to the simpler Lumina. Unfortunately, save for a couple of '99 Black sedans, I haven't been able to locate any new 2000 Luminas here in Miami. I am not to clear about the fate of the Lumina. The Impala was meant to be its final replacement, yet I keep seeing on every other car web site references to the 2000 Lumina, still alive in GM production plants. Can I get one of those new Luminas??? Is the production of the 2000 model limited to fleets??? The Impala is a much better car than the Lumina, yet I like the Lumina because is more of a practical car for everyday driving. Many people have critize its design but I think is much cleaner and more elegant than the infamous Taurus and the bland and extra boring Camry. Well if anybody knows how could I get my hands on a new 2000 Lumina, their input will be greatly appreciated.
  • kmsyayakmsyaya Member Posts: 3
    Well it is time to turn in my 97 Lumina and I sure will miss it. My lease ran out but I must say that the car has been great. I would have bought it out right but I am spoiled and need a new car every few years. Anyways, I only had to replace a serpentine belt at 30,000 miles and have the rotors cut and new brake pads. The brakes are kind of mushy though. My only complaint. Car is good in bad weather and always performed well. What is up with that new Impala?
    UGLY!!!! It looked okay from a distance with a rear spoiler but the interior is really ugly. Chevy should keep the Lumina in production and disregard the Impala. (I ended up buying a Chysler ConcordeLX, loaded) Anyways, my two cents.
    Fellow Lumina drivers, love your car cause it will love ya back.

kmsyaya
    From what I've read, the 2000 Lumina is still being made. Check with your local Chevy dealer. However, the 3800 engine is no longer an option, probably because Chevy is offering it in the Impala LS, and so they are in short supply. The only engine you can get with the 2000 Lumina is the 3.4 liter (180 hp) one. Hope this helps.
    jpstax

Thanks for your input. Yesterday I went to my local Chevy Dealer in Miami and I saw a few factory fresh brand new 2000 Luminas. When I asked the salesperson about them, he inmmediately pointed out that those cars CAN NOT BE PURCHASED by the general public, unless you are a fleet operator or acquired for fleet government use. Then he turn my attention to the new Impala. At that point I stopped asking questions regarding the Lumina. Is this true??? Is chevy forcing prospective Lumina customers to buy the Impala??? Is this pure B.S.??? Where can I get a new Lumina??? Your feedback is truly appreciated.
    Thanks Dan for your input...
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    Yes it's true, the public can no longer purchase the Lumina. My Dad just got one as his new company car. I don't think ya'll are missing anything. They really didn't make any improvements for 2000. I was kinda disappointed with it being a 2000 model year car and having nothing to make it special. However, it is a nice looking car, much better looking than the Impala. Maybe in a few years Chevy will improve the looks of the Impala.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Bought the wife a '99 Lumina. Only 6 seat sedan other than Intrepid. Have put 12,000 miles on since purchase. No big complaints, but does anybody else have a driver's seat that the springs pop when cornering (i.e. shifting weight). Also the driver side power mirror quite working. Probably both are warranty, but I find the driver's seat a little thin.
    I know what you mean about the driver seat. It is very skimpy. From the left side I almost hit the plastic sides of the seat when I sit. It definitely needs extra padding. They do not amke them anymore so there is little chance of improving them. I also bought my wife's Lumina used so I do not know if this is a problem with the new cars as well, or is it a problem that happens over time. Maybe a fat guy sat on my seat and ruined it. Who knows?
    hi folks, got a 97 lumina with 60k on it. it doesn't steer to easily. we have a ford explorer and contour which steer with greater ease. i have been told that luminas should steer easily. it also makes a whining noise at low speeds ( driving in driveway-hard to steer when its cold too). fluids are OK-checked them. have 6 weeks of warrenty left so i'm just trying to think if we should take it in or not. thanks
    I had to replace the power steering pump at 60K.
    I noticed that the drive belt was a little too shiny. I found out that there was steering oil dripping on it. I also noticed it became harder to steer when the car was cold.
    However you say that you checked the fluids!
    Look to see if there are any oil spots on the
    radiator hose going from the bottom of the radiator to the engine from the drive belt side.
  • pos_luminapos_lumina Member Posts: 3
    I had Lumina.
    I totaled it on 11/09/99.
    What a blessing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 40 something and have owned and driven many automobiles. The Lumina is by far the biggest
    POS I ever owned. What a DA I was when I bought
    this tin can.

Here is a list of what was wrong with my Lumina before I totaled it. Some items were repaired
    and some needed repairing :

(1) radiator leak
    --- (probably < $100 repaired)
    (2) another water leak near the rear of the engine
    --- (100s probably)
    (3) power steering unit needed replacing
    ---($400 + labor = $600+)
    (4) the $900 little plastic piece for the automatic transmission was going out again
    ($900 x 2 = $1800)
    (5) BOTH power windows out. BOTH went out about
    3 months apart.
    --- ($600 - $700 dealer repaired)
    (6) A/C clutch needed replacing
    (7) high pressure hose to power steering unit replaced
    --- 6 and 7 were $450
    (8) little plastic piece connecting water hose to
    engine replaced
    --- $200+ if remember correctly
    (9) Oil leaks (only some repaired)
    --- 200+
    (9) I forget the rest of the repairs...

DON'T but a Lumina !!! In fact, I am looking
    at a Toyota 4-Runner. I'll never buy another GM.
    Oh, I forgot :

(10) The passenger door handle broke off.
    --- $35 bucks - I fixed it myself.
    (11) The driver side seat is collapsing. It is
    leaning to the right.
    --- no estimate - I ran out of money.
    hi, thanks for the info. infact, the steering its starting to click and make noises, so i'd bet something is wrong with it. the tires are wearing abnormally fast ( 15k, supposed to last 70K, so i figure something has to be wrong.)
    Got to take it in soon since the warrenty is up Dec 20. I hear some noise like marbles rolling around in the engine when ever it shifts into overdrive and when i accelerate on the onramp/hills( pinging/detonation i think)... tried premium, ocatane boast, you name it...)i dont trust this car, but i have to keep it for another 20 months or so. i'm planning to purchase a 93 explorer from a friend this coming summer as my extra car....
    Please read safety info available for Lumina and
    the Lumina APV.
    Many recalls and service bulletins.
    After I checked it out I was reminded of :

(12) The windshield wipers quit working
    now and then. About 5 times total.
    --- no cost -> I didn't know it was a recall.

Do you think GM tried to contact me ? H&LL no !

I will NEVER BUY another GM.
    I would not say that Lumina is a POS. Maybe your Lumina was a POS, but I would not generalize to all Lumina's. My Lumina has been quite reliable.
    The only problem it ever had was a small leak in the power steering fluid case, hardly what I consider to be a major problem. It took the dealer only 15 minutes to replace it. The engine is still very smooth and the transmission is very smooth. No other leaks whatsoever. And the fuel consumption rate is excellent. Almost like a 4 cylinder car.
    Did you buy your Lumina used or brand new? maybe it was abused by the previous owner.
    Ditto. My wife's '98 LTZ has 28,000 miles and has not had one single problem (so far).
  • rbragg2rbragg2 Member Posts: 1
    To sand11: Either is a good choice. I have a92 Lumina that has been great and was going to buy another; but the Impala's looks appealed more, so I bought it. BTW both cars were demos, the Impala had 4100 & the Lumina had 5900 at purchase time. The Lumina has 100000+ & still going strong, and Impala has almost 9000. Truly love it.
    Roy
  • petemspetems Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Lumina with 95,000 miles....I have only done routine maint.(ie: oil changes, brakes and tires). Its very quiet, handles well and is comfortable. My only complaint is the lack of power...but this isnt a big deal to me. Either its a great car or I've been very lucky. I'm currently looking to replace it with a more upscale car...time for leather and climate control :)
  • mpflampfla Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately I also had a pos '95 Lumina. I have always bought American but traded this one in with 47K on the odometer for a new Honda Accord. I had the 3.4L engine which I found out later is high maintenance. The 3.4L option was replaced I believe in 1997 or 1998 with the 3.8L engine. This was definitely the fastest family car I ever owned but not worth the trouble.

Problems:
    1) A/C quit working. $900 repair.
    2) Vents never worked right. Air would stop coming out of the vents when gas applied. When the air was off, hot air came out of the vents.
    3) Altenator replaced twice - the altenator is next to the exhaust manifold in the engine compartment causing to burn out.
    4) 3 Batteries. - Not enough room in engine compartment with 3.4L engine so undersized battery was standard. No room for regular size battery.
    5) Ground wire to tranaxle stud came detached leaving me stranded since car would not start.
    6) Oil seal around oil pump leaked. This repair requires the removal of the cylinder heads. $1,400 to fix. Upon trading in the car I think the leak had returned. The car was using 1 QUART of OIL every 1,000 miles.
    7) Both rear wheel brake cylinders leaked early on causing unbalanced braking.
    8) Driver's power mirror stopped working.
    9) Passenger side power door lock stopped working. Could not use key to unlock either.
    10) Windows fogged up being that there was a water leak somewhere.
    11) On many occasions the transmission would not shift into overdrive. Turning the car engine off and restarting seemed to reset the computer so it will shift into overdrive. Dealer not able to diagnose anything wrong with the transmission though so this problem remains.
    12)There is a support bar below the engine that collects the little bit of oil that always drips out when the oil filter is changed. Most of the oil change places missed cleaning out this gulley after changing the oil. Many times I had the smell of burning oil after an oil change. Bad design since most quick lube places seemed to miss cleaing out the dripped oil.
    13) When brake applied quickly, sometimes they would go straight to the floor for a second and then just as you thought you were going to be in a wreck, they would come on at reduced power. Did this about once or twice a week for the last 3 weeks.
    14) GM repair service where they could care less about the customer problems.

Problem 13 just started, but considering all of the other problems, did not even bother taking to the garage to have this checked out. Started thinking about unloading this car ASAP since this could be dangerous. First time that I have lost big on a car and it stings. Unless GM wants to write me a check for $3,000 for my losses, I don't think I will be purchasing their products anymore. Many of the above items were covered by warranty, but lost in trade-in(could not bring myself to sell to private individual)and some of the above repairs.

I have a 1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 sitting in the driveway with 105k+ miles and have not done anything but routine maintenance to this car.

This is the first car that I have owned that did not make it to 100K miles. My brother's Honda has 200K miles with original clutch, A/C, starter and just replaced his first alternator. This swayed me toward Honda and he says I won't be back(American).
    Well, that teaches you not to buy a car in its
    first year of production, especially if it is an american car. 96 model onward Lumina's do not seem to have the problems you described. My Lumina
    is still running great after 70K kms. I have the 3.1L engine.
  • x19x19 Member Posts: 1
    My wife purchased a New 1995 Lumina before I knew her. On the way home the care left sit - she had it towed back to SUTLIFF. A week later it was fixed, but the same problem re-occured 3 times after that leaving my wife sit several times. She tried calling the Roadside assitence number, but it said the system was down. The car had all 4 window regulaters replaced, wiper motor replaced, turn signal switch replaced, many emission parts replaced, trunk seals replaced, mouldings relaced, new brake system, belt/bearing, any many other parts all before it had 25,000 miles on it. Yes...25,000. We tried to unload it 14 months after it was purchased, but it lost over 50% of its retail value by that time. This was the LS model and was always driven by my wife who had it sevicesd every 3,000 miles. Our dealer SUTLIFF CHEVROLET in PA said the best they could do was sell us another one - giving us wholesale price for ours ($7,000) less than 2 years after we paid $18,000. The car was never wrecked. The owner of Sutliff is a real looser - he never followed up when he said he would. Sutliff said their was nothing they could do short of selling us another car. We went to GM directly and they basically said too bad. Our Lemon law for PA (which GM never tells you about) is only good for the first year. Buy Japanese - Sutliff Chevrolet and GM will never get any of our money!
  • zacharylauriezacharylaurie Member Posts: 51
    Why didn't you go to another dealership? The warranty should work at any Chevy dealership.
    This engine seems to be quite troublesome.
    I think that was why the discontinued it for Lumina. You either have 3.1 or 3.8 now.
    But some cars still use it. Base Impala 2000 is
    3.4L and Pontiac Grand Am is 3.4L. I wonder
    if they have the same problems?
    If you do get an Impala, get the 3.8L just to
    be on the safe side.