Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• qvd0502qvd0502 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone else having this problem with the Check Engine light coming on? Three weeks after I got my 2005 S40 2.4i, I start seeing the CE light come on. Took it to the dealership service center and was told I didn't close the gas cap tight enough. Didn't think that was the case but took their word for it since the CE warning went away. A week later, warning comes on again. Took it back to the service center and they found out the fuel detection pump was defective so they replaced it. At the same time, they were also fixing another problem I had with the window seal pulling away from the molding (this was a problem I saw on all their S40s on the dealer's lot). They used primer to get the seal to adhere to the molding and dripped primer on the driver seat and interior door panel. Turns out primer cannot be removed from the T-tech fabric so they were going to replace the fabric on the chair. Frustrated with the poor service and problems with the car, I asked for and got the dealer to do an even exchange for another '05 S40. Well, I've had this second S40 a week and the CE warning is coming back on. They tell me I'm the only one that's reported this problem. Hard to believe this is happening on two cars in a row.

Any comments/suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated.
  • paulsazpaulsaz Member Posts: 39
    I have had my 2.4i for 10 days. Today the Check Engine Light came on. I already had a service appointment scheduled for Friday to check my radio. Hopefully they can get this problem fixed. Another forum had mentioned a problem with a fuel pump causing the problem.
  • schell1schell1 Member Posts: 8
    I am currently looking to buy a new car and I am seriously considering an s40. Any regrets out there? Is the premium package, about $4,000 more, worth the expense? Thanks!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    well, one regret you might have is paying $4K for premium pack. Because it only costs $2300.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• volvolkbenzvolvolkbenz Member Posts: 3
    I want to qualify this post with the following information: I don't know a damn thing about tires and hope to learn more here.

I've got 205 55 R16 Michelin MXV4 Energy tires on my s40 T5. Does anyone know if these tires are that great? I've been a little jealous of some A4's I've seen with 17 inch 225s. I like the look of the wider treads, but I'm not sure if these kind of tires can be put on an s40. Can you put 225's on an s40? Are there gains to be had in the performance department?

Will different tires increase performance much on a t5?

Any and all input is appreciated.

thanks in advance!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I've had three cars that came with the Michelin Energy (including my current Volvo), and I think they're mediocre at best.

It would probably fit, but a 225 width tire is wider than I would try on your standard wheels, which are only 6.5" wide. The type of tire you choose is much more important to performance than width, but if you want the good looks of a wider tire, 215/50-16 would be a better choice.

Whether you stay with a 205 or go with a 215, if you want to improve performance, you'll want either a high-performance all-season, or better yet, a high performance summer tire.

A well regarded high performance summer tire I'd try is the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712. It will dramatically improve your S40's acceleration, braking, and handling, but it's not a good choice if you need all-season performance. Check out the Tire Rack website for a wealth of resources in choosing the best tire for your needs.
  • bayarea_s40bayarea_s40 Member Posts: 19
    Here's a tiny but irksome thing about my new S40 T5: No place to keep coins for parking meters or bridges! I'm serious! My Subaru Forester and Saturn wagon have built-in pockets or storage areas convenient to the driver for keeping coins handy. In my Volvo, there is no handy place to keep them!

Anyone know of third party accessories that can solve this problem for me?
    Fedlawman,

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize I'd be able to put a wider tire (215 instead of 205) on the wheels I have. That's good to know and definitely would save me some money since I wouldn't have to buy a new set of wheels. I live in LA right now, so I'm guessing summer tires aren't a minus given the climate and conditions here.

Is it true that high performance summer tires will dramatically improve the performance of a car? In layman's terms, what can I expect?

Also, last silly question: Is there a performance advantage to wider rims? Or is it for the most part a visual aesthetic?

Thanks in advance:)
    Tires are probably the single most important item that can improve your cars performance.

The tire contact patch on the ground is basically what transfers power from the engine to movement of your car over the earth. A wider tire will offer better performance because it will have a larger contact patch, but the difference between 205 and 215 is negligible.

If you truly want to upgrade your wheels too, going with a 17" wheel that is 7" or 7.5" wide will allow a 225 width tire. You'll get better handling from this combination because of the wider contact patch, but also because of the shorter tire sidewall. This is the way to go if you want to spend the extra money for wheels, but I don't think you need to go there. Of course, you'll also get an increase in unsprung weight, which will have some negative effect on performance. It's basically a trade-off. My advice is to step up to a summer tire either in original 205 width, or 215 width as this will give you a dramatic, seat of the pants improvement for not much money. If you like the improvement, you can think about other upgrades later.

A max performance summer tire is designed to give ultimate dry pavement traction, so it will improve your cars ability to transfer accelerative forces to the ground without losing grip. All accelerative forces are affected by having grippier tires, so straight-line acceleration, cornering, and braking will all improve.

Living in California, there's no real reason to handicap your car will all-season tires. The only reason you might not choose summer tires is because of increased tread wear, which means you'll be replacing them more often. In all other regards, they are a must for a sport sedan such as your T5. You'll definitely feel the difference.
  • my05vomy05vo Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with the check engine light. I have an '05 S40 2.4i that I bought early January and tomorrow will be the second time I've taken it in for the check engine light. The first time the service tech basically told me I didn't screw the gas cap on right. I'll ask him about the fuel pump issue. I'll let you know what my diagnostic test shows.
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    Put them in the so-called map pocket. That's about the only thing that fits there because you certainly can't fit a map
    Fedlawman,

You really broke that down in a way that I could understand. From the advice you've given, I think I'll probably opt to just get some new 215s and save the 17inch upgrade for later.

This forum is really cool, especially because of helpful individuals such as yourself. Thanks again for taking time out of your day to help me out.
    You're welcome.

Enjoy!
  • bonsbons Member Posts: 45
    There seem to be a few cases of S40 with CE light.
    The common causes for this problem is the fuel pump, replacing the leak diagnostic pump should resolve the issue.
    The right mechanic/dealership should be able to identify and fix it correctly.
    If problems persist find another place to service your vehicle.
  • rideride Member Posts: 4
    Test drove (again) 05 S40 T5 with sport suspension, ride is not as bad as some publishers lead to believe. Hit all the bumpy roads and found it acceptable (solid) for tight suspension and low profiles...and a better ride than the Altima SE-R (hot powerplant, burns the wheels doing 30+) and the Acura TL which has a few squeaks and noisy tires. Disappointed to find that the S40 had an excessive yaw rate when braking in turns @ 40-60mph almost to an unstable point. Car didn't "squat" like most sport suspensions should. Any of you who own an S40 with the sport suspension experienced this? Also, been getting a lot of grief from other car dealerships (Nissan, Acura/Honda) about the extended maintenance costs for Volvos as well as many trips to the dealership for things like CE lights and fuel issues as also expressed in this forum. First three years/36mos of maint is covered but what about costs after? Any insight to provide? I hear they are very expensive in the out years. Please help me decide. Thanks.
  • calhoncalhon Member Posts: 87
    It's not the fuel pump, but an AIR pump that pressurizes the fuel tank system for leak detection - fuel vapor emissions control. The trouble code typically points to a generic leak rather than the air pump specifically, so many dealers first look for low-cost sources such as an improperly closed gas cap. A faulty air pump is then diagnosed only after the initial intervention fails to correct the problem.

The problem does not affect the driving characteristics of the car, but there is the annoyance and inconvenience of having to make multiple trips to the dealer. :(
    Also, been getting a lot of grief from other car dealerships (Nissan, Acura/Honda) about the extended maintenance costs for Volvos

Its really sad when salespeople feel they need to degrade the competition in order to sell their own product.

I've been having this same argument/discussion for years with many many people. I have owned domestic/japanese/european vehicles and I have worked on all of them myself. I CURRENTLY own 2 japanese and 2 euro vehicles. I can tell you, without a doubt, maintenance is no more expensive for my Volvo than it is for my Honda or Nissan. As a matter of fact, what I just paid for a brake job on our Honda Pilot was even more expensive than for my Volvo.

The only thing I have noticed is that my dealership's service department charges too much to do the work on my volvo. That's why I go to an independent volvo mechanic (for those times i don't have the time to do the work myself, that is).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• prototecprototec Member Posts: 1
    I recommend getting a T5. Check out European delivery, if you can wait for your car and want to have a great vacation (not to mention saving money). Every aspect of the delivery went smoothly. They were offering a discount on the "premium package" the last time I looked. Go with the premium also the premium stereo.
    Thanks for your advise, I just bought yesterday afternoon an S 40 2.4i, with the premium package, climate control, premium sound, sports package (available in my area [Puerto Rico] for the 2.4) , etc. The car is a beauty.

I was a bit torn between the Acura TSX and the Volvo S 40. Both cars are excellent and at a first glance, the Acura seemed to have an edge over the Volvo. From a maintenance/repair point of view, both seem to be as reliable and the parts of both are equally expensive. However, I usually keep my cars for more than five (5) years and I thought that in the long run, a Volvo would look classier than Acura.
  • civ02lx_t5_awdciv02lx_t5_awd Member Posts: 1
    I currently live in Minnesota where we have snow about 4-5 month of the year.
    I'm interested in either a 2005 or 2006 S40 and wondering if a FWD with the DSTC would be what all I need ? I guess the disadvantages of AWD is the lower gas mileage, price and heaver weight. Advantages would be safer in snow/ice for winter time.

I previously own a 98 grand prix GT and then when to a 02 Honda Civic with 14" tires and miss the performance factor. The nice thing about the S40 is that you can buy a Power Chip for the Volvo that gets 248 or 252 HP( 269/273 LB.FT of torque respectively), and cost $990. Has anyone used this chip with any difference in performance ?

I'm considering keeping my Civic for the summer time since I get 38 MPG and using the T5 for winter months and for road trips. Any info/ideas would be great. Thanks

:confuse:
    could you be more specific about this power chip? Is that the company's name? (PowerChip)

When you first said the name, I thought it was that bunk chip sold on Ebay for $10 (or whatever the price is), but your price obviously says otherwise.

Personally, for that kind of money, I'd wait for IPD to finish developing theirs. The latest I read in their brochure/flyer is that they are getting very good results and hope to have it on the market soon. If I recall correctly, they mentioned AT LEAST 250 HP. And, of course, you have the advantage of getting a flash upgrade rather than an add-on, AND you are getting it from a shop that specializes in Volvos.

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Powerchip is the company that supplies chips to EVOLVE.
    I have one of their programs in my S60R's ecu.
    ipd sells TME's programs.
    All Volvo's have ecu's that need to be reflashed. You can't just install a chip in the ecu.
    250 hp is probably the limit for the T5 engine. At least for safe, long term operation.

The haldex AWD system actually doesn't hurt mpg much. A difference of 1-2 mpg in the city and a little more on the hwy.
    My R 6 speed average 23 mpg and I don't drive slow. :)
    If anything mileage has improved since I had Evolve flash my ecu.
    Ah, Ok, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, nothing wrong with EVOLVE.

Actually, not all Volvo ECUs need to be reflashed. There are plenty of companies that solder chips onto the ECU. Not that I'm condoning it or saying whether its a good idea or not, just pointing it out.

DON'T EVER LET ANYONE SOLDER A CHIP ONTO YOUR ECU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the first place, its a dead giveaway to the Volvo tech that you car has been modded. Second, its dangerous to the ecu. If its not done perfectly it can fry the ecu.
    oh, i've read all the warnings. But i've also read hundreds of success stories with companies like Upsolute and Speedtuning. I'm certainly not arguing with you. To each his own.

As far as the tech goes, it really doesn't matter on my 8-year-old car. And, since I can have it done in person by an authorized dealer, they fry it, they buy it. But, Yes, if you own a new S40, this is going to be a bad idea if you have warranty issues.

• pierolapierola Member Posts: 5
    yes there's one inside the glove compartment.
  • prlady1prlady1 Member Posts: 573
    Hi all,
    Care to read about a problem we had with our 2000 S40 yesterday? The car appeared to be accelerating when it was coasting and no pedal was pushed. My husband pulled into a parking lot; the car began revving its engine up at 4500 RPMs when it was in park. He shut it off and had trouble restarting it. Then, he got the car started and driving again but then smoke started billowing out from under the hood and coolant was obviously leaking. He had the car towed the rest of the way to the dealership; the service advisor said the temp sensor went bad and caused the engine to rev because it perceived the engine was not hot enough. He says we need to change the temp sensor, thermostat, lower radiator hose and replace all the antifreeze and reset the OBDII to account for the new components. He also said it was time to do a transmission flush and I knew that was something we'd do at the next service interval so I gave him the ok. He estimated the total bill at $650-675 and that includes $110 for the transmission flush. Any thoughts?
  • allwheeldriv3allwheeldriv3 Member Posts: 35
    Any thoughts?

yea, that sucks... :sick:
    just for comparison, my indy volvo mechanic charges $79 for the tranny service. I gotta wonder how much padding is involved with the rest of that bill.

• gruxxgruxx Member Posts: 4
    I've heard recently about package streamlining on MY2006, and was curious what anyone else heard. Only details are about overseas delivery so far: MSRP would be about $2000 more than this "tourist" model 2006 V50 overseas and 2006 S40

What I've gathered:
    No more greens
    no select package on the T5's
    2.4i Audio control in str. wheel - std.
    no more optional moonroof - select (2.4) or premium (T5 & AWD) packages only. **

** but, found two pdf files via google on the volvocars.us website. that make me think otherwise... any one have an idea about what's going on? I missed ordering my 2005 T5 by a week in April. (why nobody has a DSTC volvo on the lot in Ohio is beyond me...)

any comments? any clues? any hints?
    2006b V50 Fleet and link S40 Fleet
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I thought the select package was perfect!
    Yup, Volvo is trying to limit options on their cars starting this year.
    Mistral and Safari Green are gone.
    Brilliant Blue and Electric Silver are the new colors.
    Moonroof on the T5 is only available in the Premuim pkg.
  • lbiggie2lbiggie2 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I just purchased a t5 awd and I can't seem to find anything on maintaining the turbo engine. Do I need to do anything differently when starting up the car or turning it off?
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    new turbos and new oil make it less of a problem just start and stop engine like you always did. ":old" turbos if you ran it hard and to let it spool down before you turned off the engine to ensure adequate lube to rotor, no more.... have fun. check owners manual. i'm getting a red one for my wife in june/july
  • mapinmapin Member Posts: 27
    I checked out both the s40 T5 and audi a3. Both are impressive cars at good prices. I built similar models on Edmunds, the audi came out about 2K cheaper MSRP. The audi does seem to give you a bit more options for your money (dual sunroofs, hatchback cargo capacity, satellite radio option, bose audio).

Any comments on why I should go with the S40 T5 over the Audi A3 ? I'm still leaning toward s40 because of the overall look of the car, but not sure I'm making the right decision.

thanks
    Mark
  • mdidmdid Member Posts: 13
    Hi all:

Hoping for a quick answer, as I just found out my T5 has arrived and am picking it up tomorrow.

Volvo is trying to sell me on some sort of clear coat treatment for the paint job, claiming that it means you don't have to wax the car for 5 years. Anyone have insight on this? Is it worth it? Does it look funny?

Thanks in advance!
    sounds like snake oil to me.

• greggorgreggor Member Posts: 11
    If its the "Auto Armor" I've been hearing about on other forums, it's well worth the money....it protects the paint with a teflon(correct me if I'm wrong) coating. I'll be getting it as soon as I receive my car!
    Turns out it is the "Auto Armor" they are offering, which is apparently a teflon based paste.

What have you been hearing? Based upon scanning through the other forums the majority of posts (but not all) appear to me to be saying that teflon based pastes/waxes are not worth it. Dealer wants $327 for what appears to me to be a wax job.
    As a follow up on this, I received from the dealer the promotional material on the Auto Armor paint protectant. In two pages of fluff about how great their product is and what evils are out there waiting to damage your paint job, they never actually tell you what exactly their product is, how it's applied, etc. Enough for me to take a pass.
  • karljrkarljr Member Posts: 3
    I have an '01 S40. It has the standard CD/Cass/AM/FM unit.
    The original unit's CD player skipped quite significantly. More on hitting a bump
    than on hitting a hole. But it will skip under BOTH circumstances. It skipped just about every day....multiple times.
    My friends have told me that their car CD and DVD players almost never skip.
    The Volvo dealer agreed it should not skip and they put in a new unit.
    The new unit is just as bad.....maybe worse.
    Is this a standard S40 CD player problem?
    Isn't the anti-skip system basically all read-ahead electronics?
    Shouldn't this prevent it from skipping when you hit a bump?
    Anybody have this experience?
    Comments?
    Is there an aftermarket cd/am/fm that fits in these cars?
    Thanks.
    As you, I considered applying a similar treatment to my new S 40. The one that I was offered was named Perma Tech, with a $495.00 price tag. However, before you agree to it, read carefully the vehicle's manual, which has a section in which Volvo states that it does not recommend any paint treatments. The vehicle's manual even states you may cause warranty issues by applying any such treatment to your car.

You may actually be better off by simply waxing your car every month, as I chose.
    Picked up my new S40 last night (T5 AWD M).

I was surprised that the dealer said no break in period was required (as he put it, try and keep it below 100 mph). The online owner's manual doesn't make mention of one either (didn't get a chance to look at the book they gave me).

Thoughts?
  • lbiggie2lbiggie2 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased my T5 and bought the perma plate for my car. It's an "appearance package" that protects not only the exterior of the car but also the interior of the car for 7 years. It was somewhat pricey but if you have a dark car, for example black, I would highly recommend getting it. This way they guarantee that your car will maintain the same amount of shine as well as guarantee no fading on your car for 7 years and if you have a dark car, your car will fade. In addition to that, they will remove stains from your interior and also maintain the leather and prevent it from cracking, etc. My family has had it placed on all of our nicer cars and we find that it works well. The car of ours that does not have any paint protection on it has started chipping off and fading and it's a little over 10 years old whereas a car of ours that is 18 years old with the treatment has paint that is still in good condition.
    The only thing you want to avoid is running the car @ redline for the 1st 1000 miles or so.
    Also, your gas mileage won't stabilize for the first 2-3000 miles.

Otherwise, have fun
    Thanks! I don't think having fun will be any problem . . .
  • tobkeystobkeys Member Posts: 1
    Was about to buy the S40 but wanted to test drive first. Excellent car and performs, handles great. Problem I experienced was that the gas peddle and the break peddle were too close to each other. Each time I lifted my foot off the gas t o put on break, the side of my shoe kept hitting the break peddle on its way up.
  • greggorgreggor Member Posts: 11
    How many times have you test driven the car?

I ask this because after my first test drive I was feeling the same thing...pedals were too close together and my foot was getting caught. After thinking about this and analyzing my driving habit/style, I noticed that I was accustomed to placing my right heel in front of the brake pedal and pivoting it towards the accelerator. This was not physically possible on the s40 due to the pedal placement but because I knew that the s40 was the car I wanted to buy, I began to train myself to drive with my right heel closer to the accelerator pedal and pivot less. After a week of that in my 1990 Honda I went to test drive the s40 again, no problems. I'm ordering an '06 s40 real soon! :D
  • rideride Member Posts: 4
    The pedal issue is quite an annoyance. I had to test drive it three times before I felt comfortable. Even wore three different types of shoes during the test drives and didn’t catch any of them clipping the brake. I had done much research on this car and was cognizant of the flaw and must have automatically adjusted for it, dunno. Wide hiking boots are going to be a pain, no doubt. No idea what Volvo was thinking. Unless you're a big person, don't let this dissuade you from an otherwise wonderful car.

I do have other concerns. Quality and the no satellite oversight…they need to come into the age of audio already. I’ve heard the pro-logic system and it’s fair. Not the quality of some of the others car lines and you gotta fork over significant $$ for the stock sub-woofer that can be installed in the trunk.

Although Vovlo took it on the chin in the latest quality survey for 05, know that overall none of the European lines had across the board good numbers, only selective models within. And I believe Volvo’s undoing rested in its S60, 80 and XC90 models but I can't find anywhere to really substantiate, only heard grumblings of these three and nothing on the 40. Most on-line sources list the 05 S40 as moderate to poor for troubles. That’s what really has me concerned. Regardless of the quality of service, I (as many others) cannot take time out to have the car in the shop all the time. Regular service is enough. I’m concerned…but my custom order is still on the way.
  • globalbankerglobalbanker Member Posts: 11
    I just leased a Volvo S40 for 39 months. Here is the breakdown:

28,375 sticker (Base Model + Climate + Premium Package)

X-Plan Pricing of 27,581
    - Dealer Incentive for NOT using Volvo Car Finance (STRANGE) $2,500
    - Volvo Loyalty Credit $1,000
    - Dealership picking up my last lease payment ($313) + Disposition fee from VFNA ($385)

Payments are $341.21 w/ 15k miles per year and a drive away payment of $1,006.21 (first month +
    "aquisition fee" of $595 + Title/Licence)

All in all -- I think I ended up with a pretty good deal. Why would volvo be asking dealers to NOT use VFNA?? The dealer told me it was because Volvo was getting hit hard on high residuals and that their portfolio was "full of s40's"

Money Factors w/ third party was .00204 w/ a residual of $14,977
    vs VFNA's money factor of .00216 w/ a residual of $14,187
This discussion has been closed.