Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• jessenolajessenola Member Posts: 9
    :sick: :lemon: After my '04 TSX was destroyed by an XTerra driver, I replaced it with an '05 S40 T5. I thoroughly enjoy driving the car, especially compared to my TSX. Much more powerful, more nimble, more comfortable seats, no rattles. However, I've had the car in the shop three times and need to take it back again. On the first road trip, the check engine light came on and I had to find a dealer in the FL panhandle. He reset the light and told me to take it in once home in New Orleans. The dealer here said there was nothing wrong, but did fix a disconnected speaker harness in the drivers door that was swinging like a pendulum.

Two weeks later the car would not start, and I had it towed to the dealer. The engine management computer failed and it took a full week for the part to arrive. The dealer had no loaner cars, and as Volvo does not have any policy on loaners. I had to rent a car while my one-month-old Volvo was in the shop. Apparently the parts network does not know about FedEx, as they ground-shipped the critical part.

Upon getting my car back, I found the dealer dented the aluminum by the radio. Additionally, the sound system sometimes does not work when I turn the car on. It says the CD is on mute and volume knob does nothing.

The horrible customer service at the local dealer only compounds how bad this ownership experience has already been.

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems? I had a '96 850R that was perfect with flawless dealer service in another city.
  • carguy83carguy83 Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2004.5 S40i. I'm curious how common this issue is. In the manual it states:

"The RBDS or Radio Broadcast Data System operates in the FM band only, and the information transmitted is supplied exclusively by participating broadcasters. Volvo has no control over the accuracy of the data or information.
    Coverage by local broadcasters may be limited at this time, but as the technology and benefits grow, you will find the radio in your car is equipped to take advantage of this system.

NOTE: PI (Program Information) Seek: When an FM station has been stored as a preset, the radio also stores RBDS program information if it is available. When the preset is selected at a later time, the radio tries to access updated program information. In weak signal areas, there may be a delay before the station becomes audible. During this delay, there will be no sound. PI seek can be interrupted by pressing EXIT."

This PI seek issue seems to happen consistently with one of the presets and sometimes with other ones as well. If you press exit, the station plays fine and the signals don't seem to be really weak. How do I know if its operating "normal" or if there is maybe something wrong with the antenna or radio? I don't understand why it won't just start playing the station when you press the button. If the PI seek is just trying to update program information, why wouldn't the sound still be able to go while it does that? I've never seen a car radio act like this. The whole point of presets is to be able to just press a button and have the station come on. It seems pretty stupid to change stations using the steering wheel controls, only to not hear any sound, then have to look and see that its PI seeking, and then have to find the exit button just to here the station. Is there any way to fix this?
    I think my car has the same issue, so maybe it is normal. Most of the stations here in New Orleans use the radio data system. Sometimes when I use the steering wheel buttons to seek, the radio does start searching for stations that meet my selected genres: talk, dance, top40, etc. I have not paid much attention to it, since I usually listen to CDs.

I am concerned that sometimes when I start the car, the radio says CD Muted and the volume knob/steering wheel volume buttons do not work. I have to turn the car off, wait, and turn it on again for the sound system to work. This only happens maybe 1 time every 40 times I start the car, so I'm sure the dealer will be unable to recreate the problem and fix it.
  • james26james26 Member Posts: 1
    I NOTICED THAT THE TURBO HAS A TERRIBLE LAG, FROM A STAND STILL ACCELERATION. ALSO WHEN I START THE VEHICLE IT SEEMS TO TAKE LONGER THAN USUAL. THE FACTORY BATTERY IS STILL IN PLACE. WHAT COULD THIS BE?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Actually, it could be a whole bunch of things. Blown turbo hose, malfunctioning wastegate, ecu issue, throttle issue.
    Take it to the delaer.
    Well my 2005 S40 T5 is back in the shop for the fourth time in 2 mos. This visit is for replacement of the aluminum colored center panel that the dealer dented during the previous visit, to address a check engine light that came on a week after the dealer replaced the engine management computer, and to determine why the transmission shifts so abruptly in manumatic mode.

I thought the transmission problem was just inherent to the car until I noticed that my loaner car, an S40 2.4i, shifts perfectly smoothly. The problem in my car is mostly the 3-2 downshift at speeds above 5 MPH, which lurches the car enough to scare me into keeping the transmission in D. Anyone else have this? The dealer said he will look at the transmission software, which seems kind of bogus to me.

The check engine light has something to do with the fuel pump or fuel pump sensor. Added to a failed oxygen center, complete failure of the engine computer, loose part in the door, and poor customer service I am finding it harder and harder to love this car.

BTW: the fake wood center stack on my loaner S40 looks really cheap. I cannot imagine why anyone would choose this over the aluminum look. Sorry if I am starting to sound bitter, but I really do want to know if my experiences are normal.
  • karljrkarljr Member Posts: 3
    OK....this may not be even close to what you're talking about....but here goes...
    I have a '01 S40.....with the "adaptive" transmission. When I first got the car it did the very SAME THING.....not all the time, but very often when downshifting when coming to a stop it would lurch and let loose with a mighty CLUNK!!
    Turns out there was a software update for the adaptive transmission. Also the adaptive module itself had a hardware issue.....needed to be replaced. Obviously, my '01 IS NOT your '05.....but it's at least something to consider.
    The transmission software/hardware upgrade made a world of difference for me.
    Hope this helps you in some small way......
  • rideride Member Posts: 4
    I hear you, does Volvo? Here's what I sent to the customer care contact via the web, guess it's a bit negative but so are a lot of the trends:
    Good-day,
    I recently placed a deposit on a S40 to be delivered in a few months but after reading much negative press about Vovlo quality and service, I wonder if I have made a wise decision. I have a few questions that will determine if I terminate my order...and my bosses decision to look elsewhere (he's considering). These are some of the primary complaints by current owners in several on-line forums and of the owners I've talked to. My question is "what is Volvo doing about these?" Lack of viable responses will definitely terminate my purchase and warn away others. No canned flowery answers or round about talk, please provide specific information. So here they are, no personal offense to your company. It's what folks are saying...
    - Getting the run around instead of straight answers from service points. Dealerships and home Vovlo customer service (and Ford) being unresponsive to customer concerns. Non-caring attitudes by service points (dealerships).
    - Very slow acquisition of ordered parts...even if the car is inoperative.
    - Check engine service lights with no known cause.
    - Car will not start, must be towed to dealership...sometimes a few days or weeks after the CE light came on.
    - Fuel issues with the tank or associated pressure lines (not sure what they meant on this one)
    - Rotors that are too thin and must be replaced rather than turned at shorter than average (30K) intervals. Very expensive. I know it depends on how it's driven but are the rotors thinner than other car makes?
    - Radio that will not play, car must be shut off in order to reset it. Radio shifts modes and goes mute. Radio eats CDs, jams and must be taken to the dealership for repair. Tons of these complaints.
    - Dealerships not having a "loaner" policy for BRAND NEW cars less than 3 mos old that need overnight or all day service. Some had to wait a week. Please don't tell us this is dealership specific, it's not a dealership's shortcoming if a car won't run - it's the manufacturers.
    - Brake pedal too close to accelerator.
    - Expensive maintenance costs (beyond initial full coverage)
    Volvo ended up (as did most European manufactures) on the short end of the recent quality survey. So what is being done NOW to correct the trend?
    Love your car, drove it many times in deciding on a new auto but if I'm paying cash for a 30K+ automobile, there should be three inherent things 1) fun product 2) quality and 3) outstanding service. You're currently 1 for 3. Please don't tell us not to worry about these issues because they're under warranty...I do not have the luxury of time beating a path to the dealership...with no car to drive in the interim. We want to love your product, please help us help you. Sell me - intelligently.
    Thanks for your time.

Anyone think we'll get some good answers?
  • derek_in_gaderek_in_ga Member Posts: 3
    Well it’s finally over. I just dropped off my ’05 Volvo S40 at the dealership for the last time. I purchased the S40 back in November thinking it would be a decent vehicle with good gas mileage and good safety ratings. That was a big mistake. At 3,000 miles the check engine light came on and that was just the start of many things to come. By the time I hit 4,500 miles my S40 had been in the service department 7 different times for a total of 45 days. After the 4th visit, I decided it was time to take some action so I filed a lemon law lawsuit against Volvo. After two months of negotiating and Volvo trying to convince me to buy another S40, they finally settled and agreed to pay off my car completely and pay for all of my attorney fees. That was over a month ago, I had to wait for them to send the check to the bank, and pay for the attorney. Then I went out and purchased a replacement vehicle.

Today, I made that last trip to the service department, where I met with a Volvo representative so that he could inspect the car and take possession. The whole thing was a nightmare and a learning experience, and I will never buy another Volvo again. By the time I finally turned that car back in today, I hated it with a passion. So many things about the car are poor in design and quality and they should never have released the car to the public before getting all of the 'bugs' worked out.

For those wanting a list of the problems I had, here you go:

First service visit:

1. The radio will turn off at random times and lock up so that there is no way of turning it back on or controlling the volume. It usually takes turning the car completely off and then letting it sit a while before turning it back on so that the radio will work again. I was told that it needed a software update, but there is not one available now and they are not sure when it will become available.

2. The brakes make a lot of noise that can be heard by neighbors on the other side of my neighborhood when I back out of my driveway. This only happens while in reverse and it is very frequent and has become very annoying. I was told that because they couldn't duplicate it, they couldn't fix it.

3. The 'Check Engine' light turned on and stayed on. They claimed that the code returned was a "loose gas cap" which makes no sense because I always tighten the cap until it clicks. They turned the light off.

Second service visit (one week later):

1. The 'Check Engine' light had turned back on again. I knew it couldn't be a gas cap because I hadn't even put gas in it since the previous visit. They said it was a bad "air pump" and they had to order a new one from Sweden so I had to wait 10 days for them to fix that problem.

2. I was still having problems with the radio, but still no update available. So I buy an almost $30K car and my radio only works part of the time!

3. The brakes are still very noisy, and when I was backing out of my garage, I heard a felt a very loud thump and I thought I had run over something. I immediately got out of my car only to discover that the right-rear brake was apparently locked up and when I backed the car up it broke loose causing a black mark on my garage floor and made me wonder how safe the brakes were now.

Third service visit:

1. While driving my car on the interstate with my girlfriend in the passenger seat, the 'Passenger Air Bag' light turned on and stayed on for 15 minutes. Then, the next day my dad was riding in the passenger seat and the light again turned on and stayed on for about 20 minutes. The next week my brother was in the passenger seat and the light came on and stayed on for OVER AN HOUR. Service told me they couldn't duplicate it but they would "try to calibrate the seat" so that the sensor worked correctly. So now my car is a safety hazard for anybody in the passenger seat.

2. Radio is still having problems, but still no updates for fixes.

3. Brakes still make noise, but still no way of fixing it.

4. When switching the A/C on and off, there is a lot of noise that can be heard and even loud thumps that can be both heard and felt. They tell me this is normal!?!

Fourth service visit:

1. After picking up my car from the service department, I went home and picked up my girlfriend. We went out to eat that night and sure enough, the 'Passenger Air Bag' light came on again. This time I had my camera ready and took pictures to show the service department. They are now telling me a Volvo Rep will have to look at the car.

2. The radio also failed on that same night adding to my frustration and I will not be happy until an update or fix is done.

3. The brakes are still making noise, so I took pictures of the mark left on my garage floor when they locked up and broke loose previously.

Fifth service visit:

1. The radio was still giving me problems.

2. The brakes were still making noise, and NOW they finally decide to replace the pads and add shims. They also added lubricant to make the noise go away. The noise came right back when the lubricant washed away.

3. I was driving home from work and my brother was riding in the passenger seat, and we came to a stop and I looked up and big surprise… the ‘Passenger Airbag OFF’ light is on AGAIN! I turned right around and drove straight to the dealership so they could witness the light and I made them write this in the service report. Then, and only then, they decide that maybe they should start replace parts to correct this safety hazard.

Sixth service visit:

1. I went to pick my car up after they replaced the airbag sensor only to find they had damaged the dashboard and also the plastic molding by the passenger door. I am told they can repair the damage and have it done in a day. So I leave it there over night.

Seventh service visit:

1. I go to pick up my car after the dash and plastic is repaired only to find that they had literally sanded and spray-painted my dashboard to cover up the scratch. Their answer to that was to cover the dash with armor-all to cover up the scratch. I insisted that they replaced the entire dash and had to get the manager involved before they agreed to do so.

After all of that, the radio still didn’t work, the brakes still made noise, and I’m sure the airbag sensor still doesn’t work correctly but I refused to test it because I didn’t want somebody hurt or killed because they didn’t have an airbag present in the event of an accident.
  • pierolapierola Member Posts: 5
    At this point ...I'm not sure if you have made a wise decision......!
    it's a great car for what you pay....! great design from inside to outside
    fun to drive.........! but when a car makes you go several times to the dealer for services with no answers.......! that can make you change your mind.
    I got mine (s40 t5 sport package and audio system upgrade for $25,900 + tax) at the end of January, since then, I had problems with:
    a) Radio problems, all the ones you heard , plus cd's got stucked inside
    they downloaded software upgrades twice, but the other day came back again........!
    b) climate control not working at all.....! but that was after dealer upgraded radio software.......! now it's working perfect but after a second visit to the dealer.
    Was dealer fault.
    c)passenger air-bag light on several times. They downloades software, but didn't work....... no official word from volvo, nothing from the dealer.....!
    d)weard noise coming from brakes ( a thumb noise) looks like a somebody with a hummer in banging underneath the car....!
    I did't take the car to the dealer for that issue yet.
    d) Here is my nightmare :cry: ....."cold start" problems.... I would say "warm start" problems..... the car doesn't want to start (first) if a leave it for more than 4 hours. basically It will start, and linger between 2-500 RPM, shuddering and sputtering...Giving it gas won't help, it just stalls, on a second attemp finally engine start (occasionally will take 3 attempts)
    and yhen runs normally.... I guess. :confuse:

I noticed that problem got worse with summer right next to the door.....! (combination of high temperatures and high humidity make that problem worse.)
    I heard that they believe is cause by premium gasoline.....! :confuse:

e) it's 3 weeks I'm still waiting for a volvo field tech to come to florida, in the mean time no word from volvo, not a word from the dealer.......! by the way......they provided a terrible service......! (lack of training and follow up) .

So I don't know what to tell you.......!
    may be look for the new A3.........!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    may be look for the new A3.........!

Trade an unreliable Volvo in for an Audi? I haven't laughed that hard all week!
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    ???
    Because an Audi just as much unreliable?
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    hey derek_in_ga -- what'd you get to replace the S40??
    Well at least I'm not alone in the broken-down-Volvo boat!

Today is the fourth day my car is in the shop for a CE light issue. That makes 15 days total after 60 days of ownership. If this continues, I might be in the market for an A3. Wish that car was out 60 days ago!

(Perhaps a new board here: S40 vs A3)
    Well, I had an '04 Toyota 4Runner that I traded for the S40 (BIG mistake!) and I never had a single problem with the 4Runner during the time I owned it. I only traded it to save a little money. Well, I quickly realized that paying the extra money was well worth it in the end, so I went out and purchased an '05 Toyota 4Runner after getting rid of the S40 and I'll never consider trading it for a Volvo again.
  • bonsbons Member Posts: 45
    Personally, I have no problems with my S40
    If you really have problems with your S40, contact CARE by Volvo in your owner manual. Document the problem and Volvo Corp. will take care of everything, including rental cost, and if necessary allow you to swap for another S40.

Volvo CARE program even provides reimbursement for Hotel, Meals, Rental, and commercial transportation (Taxi, bus, train, airfare) should your Volvo break down during a trip. This kind of service can only say one thing, Volvo Care about its customers and back up its products with unparalleled service.

I think most Volvo owners know about this program. If not hope this info help
    http://www.volvocars.us/VolvoOwnership/OnCall/
    I haven't laughed that hard all year.......! :cry:
    I contacted Volvo 10 days a go.......! about all the problems that I posted in this forum few days a go........! as a result of that......... guess what?
    nothing happened.......! now I'm sending a certified letter.......! so maybe that way I can get some kind od response......!
    so Volvo Care........should be called Volvo DON'T CARE.....!
    I'm still convinced that Audi A3 it's now a better choice...........!
    read sweedspeed forums about all problem that s40 owners are posting every day
    and seems like they can't find an answer for a cold start problem.....! on a 20 something thousands dollars....! radio problems with faulty software.....!
    com'n.........!
  • greggorgreggor Member Posts: 11
    I think you are having problems understanding the concept of forums. A forum, IMO, is for people to collaborate easily about a certain topic. In this case, the forum you speak of...swedespeed...I am a member as well, does a great job of making it easy for people to share their likes and dislikes as well as problems with their Volvo. This forum also does a good job of it. IMHO, you can't assume, that because there are a bunch of people posting their problems on that SS forum that it means that there is no one that has a flawless (highly unlikely, no car is flawless) Volvo s40 as bons said. That being said, I just feel like in your post you seem to insinuate that s40's are unreliable as a whole and that Volvo doesn't care and is doing nothing to resolve said problems. I don't think this is true and if you truly haven't had any response to your claim, that is a shame and something should be done. Remember, a forum is used to share concerns and problems as well as likes and dislikes on a specific topic.

Another thing to remember is that the 2004.5 and 2005 S40 are first year models, newly designed. Most of the time the first year after a car is remodeled/redesigned there are a bunch of kinks that need to be worked out. This is why I have not purchased my s40 yet, and will be getting an '06 when I'm ready. (September+/-) :)
    If only Volvo CARE was as good as you say it is. When I was having all of my problems with my S40, I decided to write them an email detailing all of the problems and expressing my concerns. To this day, I STILL haven't received a response. I even called them and spoke to a representative, and she was very rude and told me that I would need to speak to the service manager before contacting Volvo CARE again. I kept getting the run-around both from the service department and from Volvo CARE and that is why I got an attorney involved.

I do understand that this is the first model year and there WILL be problems that need to be worked out and corrected, but it seems almost all of these problems people keep having CAN'T be fixed, and that is the most frustrating part. Having to go back to the service department 3 and 4 times for the same thing is unacceptable.
    I tried contacting Volvo Care as well when my car was in the shop for a week and the dealer would not offer a loaner car or rent me a car. The response was that Volvo has no loaner car policy. I called again to inquire on parts availability while my car sat awaiting a new engine management computer. The response was basically: that's how long it takes. I'm not so impressed with Volvo Care.

That said, I finally got my car back after 5 days in the shop to repair a damaged dash and failed fuel pump module. It would be so nice if they cleaned the car before returning it to me, rather than return it dirtier then when I brought it in.

Now that things appear to be working again, I really do enjoy driving this car. Just had the windows tinted - looks hot with the dark gray glass on the silver body.
    I don't think that I'm having problems understanding the concept of forums.........!
    I think Edmunds forum is for people who wants to express different opinions in a free environment....! and that's the good part of it, and that's exactly what I'm doing......!
    I love my S40 T5........(I didn't change my mind yet) but also I think there is so many bugs to be fix it for a 25K car....! (IMO)
    and if you are planning to get one you should pay attention to all comments posted here or in sweedspeed forum......! that's gonna help you to make a better decision when ever you're ready to buy yours....!

You posted that I was insinuating that s40's are unreliable.......!
    what I posted is in reality is a FACT......! but I have no statistics to say that applied to everybody or only 20 % or 5% (but I know I'm not the only one)
    but is something that you could face sooner or later.

-some s40 T5 are having problems with cold start.....! and they have been working for so long trying to fix it......! but they failed.....! and they're still working on that.
    :confuse:
    -Volvo customer care as you can read in this forum is not always friendly and very helpful......! didn't work with me and some other members of this forum.......!

-other common problems are with the radio and false passenger airbag disable light warning on.......! I don't know about this, maybe is part of industry average.....!

but maybe on your ' 06 S40 those problems have been fixed......or maybe no, and you need to wait for the 07' S40 :confuse:
    who knows......?
    I was trying to help.......! :shades:
  • greggorgreggor Member Posts: 11
    Agreed! And you did help, everyones posts help! If my post insulted you I'm sorry, I was also expressing my opinion, maybe trying to defend the s40 in a way, but you are right in that you aren't the only one having troubles with your car. I hope the '06 fixes most of the problems too! ;)
  • carsareuscarsareus Member Posts: 10
    It seems to me that the introduction of the s40 and the v40 and 50 were basically an attempt to attract the younger person who wants a car in the A3, 325 c230 range. But sadly Volvo just does not belong in this new genre of car. As cool as the car looks, as appealing it is to parents from reading this forum I can tell that it was doomed from the beginning. As much as I would like the car to work out it just won't. On the other hand it is a bautiful car with great lines from a company that means quality. For a promising review check out:

http://www.carlist.com/newcars/2005/ncr_375.html">link title
  • slammieslammie Member Posts: 38
    Anyone aware of additional changes to 2006 S40 other than adoption of the Haldex AWD system?

Also, are there any reviews of the S40 in the major magazine publications like MT, RT, CD, or Automobile?

Thanks!
    Haldex was available in 2005.
    The new pre-charged version of the Haldex unit will be on the 06 S40.

Electric Blue and electric Silver are the new colors.
    Safari Green and Mistral Green have been dropped.

Road and Track just did a comparision test of the S40 T5 AWD in the latest issue.
    Volvomax,

Thank you for the info!
  • jennybjennyb Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my S40 T5 (premium, climate, and audio packages) on May 3, 2005. I took it in today for an oil change and because I'm having problems with my radio. It seems as though the back speakers fade in and out when I am using the Pro Logic. I actually noticed this during the first few days I got the car. This is obviously quite annoying since the upgraded audio system is supposed to be outstanding. I picked it up after hours tonight, so there were no service employees to explain what they did or did not find. On my way home I checked to see if there was any difference, and sure enough, the speakers were still fading in and out. So, I looked to see on my receipt (everything was covered by warranty) to see if they made any notes. It said they performed a software upgrade, and next to that, it said "Note: Do not use Pro Logic or 3 Channel"

Great. Does this mean that they have no way of fixing the problem? Also, is anyone else experiencing the same thing with their audio system? Any comments would be appreciated.
    I noticed the laminated side windows are no longer available as an option on the 2006. What gives? This appeared to be a really good idea for safety and security purposes. Can anyone comment? Am I wrong about this? Volvomax, help!

JennyB, sorry can't help you as I do not own an S40 yet, but I have noticed quite a few posts regarding radio issues, however, nothing about your specific problem.

Your post and others like it in which people comment on problems are frustrating though to prospective buyers such as myself. It's difficult to keep the perspective that these problems are isolated and not hopefully not representative of the build quality and reliability of the car. I wish your radio problem is resolved soon.
  • jaramabeigejaramabeige Member Posts: 31
    Dear everyone:

Thanks for all your messages. May I ask: has anyone driven the T5 versions of the S40 or V50 through the GrapeVine in Southern California? Does the car have the needed power when going uphill or is the T5 engine lacking? How does the car handle inside the GrapeVine? Brakes OK? I appreciate your feedback.
    Volvo cut back on the laminated windows due to a low order rate.
    I noticed on mine that the rear speakers cut in and out a bit when I am listening to a radio station with a weak signal in the Pro Logic mode. The manual says something about this, and basically not to use the Pro Logic mode with AM/FM tuning. You can set the radio to use Pro Logic with CDs and not with AM/FM. There's a 3-channel mode, too, but I don't think that sounds natural.

I recently emailed Volvo re: a satellite radio upgrade, as the salesperson who sold me my S40 T-5 said that there was a forthcoming satellite radio upgrade. Volvo Customer Care said that the company is working on a solution, but none exists now and no release date is set.
  • volvo4lifnalvolvo4lifnal Member Posts: 16
    As far as the fading in and out of the rear speakers. This is what I think is going on. I sell the cars and I have experienced it is several different vehicles with Dolby. The radio is trying to separate a stereo signal into 5.1 channels. If the signal strength is not strong enough, it can confuse the system. If you are in a big city and have great signal strenth, then I would fuss about that.
    Has anyone noticed?
    The 2-in-1 concept is absolutely gnarly. You get both a coupe and a convertible with the all-new C70. It can also be both his/her car. Coupe for him, convertible for her.
    I'm in love with this car already ;) Way to go Volvo!!! :)
    http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier3/AboutUs/AllNewC70/gallery/
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Let's hope they figured out how to keep the body stiff this time around - the previous C70 convertible was known worldwide as one of the shakiest cars on the planet - had all the chassis rigidity of a wet noodle. A truly terrible car to drive. Also looked good sitting at the curb...
    Absolutely, Volvo has improved the torsional rigidity significantly in the coming model.

"The body structure, in a carefully designed network of beams, not only contributes to the car’s high safety standards, it also gives the body extremely high torsional rigidity – twice as high as that of the previous C70 Convertible. With the roof up, torsional rigidity is increased by an impressive 10-15 percent over the convertible."

http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier3/AboutUs/AllNewC70/safetyperformance.htm
  • aribannaribann Member Posts: 16
    2005 Volvo S40 T5

For me this car has a 1000$ rebate and 2500$ manufactuer incentive

List $26395 MSRP

Options

4** Metallic Paint MSRP 475 Invoice 408
    MC553 Premium Package MSRP 2195 Invoice 1887
    TMP086 Geartronic 5-Speed Automatic Transmission MSRP 1200 Invoice 1200
    MC559 Audio Package MSRP 850 Invoice 731
    MC555 Sport Package MSRP 750 Invoice 645
    000438 Bi-Xenon Headlamps MSRP 700 Invoice 602
    $33260 MSRP Total $31015 Invoice Total (includes $695 dest charge)

So 31015 - 3500 = 27515 + tax @8.1% = 29744

What is my offer?
  • matsharrismatsharris Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 S-40 T5 with xenon headlights last week and am perplexed with the two headlight setting options and what is the difference and which setting is preferable. I do have headlight washers and realize that in the "O" setting, every fifth window wash will result in the headlights also being washed. I also know that in the "O" setting, you can flash your highbeams whereas in the top position the highbeams will stay on. Is this it?? Which position do you mostly drive in and am I missing anything....Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,925
    sounds like you know your offer, no? invoice minus rebates sounds like the right starting point to me.

Interesting, though, that, according to Edmunds and carsdirect, there are no incentives or rebates in my area (other than $1K to current volvo lease owners).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• carguy83carguy83 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004.5 S40. Got in the mail today a letter....

"Volvo has developed new and improved software upgrades to help ensure your continued satisfaction with your vehicle.

The software upgrade will include enhancements to your vehicle's climate control, gear shift response, and radio reception."
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    Must disagree with your accessment. I don't find my C70 shaky at all.
  • ewagewag Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Exactly same thing happened to me last week, the car has been in a shop ever since. grrrrr
    I had problems with starting, after I started it shoot up to 4500 RPM when I still had it on PARK, when I switched it to REVERSE it lowered RPM but just like with your car it was coasting. I took it to the shop which was v close to my location. When they tried to figure out the problem radiator hose blew up (you had a leak). They changed a hose but it didn't fix the problem. Did changing temp sensor solve your problem?

Thanks for prompt reply - I need my car back!!!!
  • dlennoxdlennox Member Posts: 1
    My mother is a longtime Volvo owner. She has back problems and has long enjoyed the Volvo ride. She has recently upgraded from a 1989 240 DL to the 2005 S40 and finds the ride to be too "tight" and the firmness of the leather seat, combined with the "bumpier" ride is aggravating her back problems. She has asked the dealer what can be done to soften the ride without much success. The leather seat apparently cannot be substituted for a cloth seat. The tiresw ere over inflated, which helped a bit but not enough. Is there a way to adjust the shock absobers / suspension to soften the ride? Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. She is considering replacing the S40 but would prefer staying with Volvo.

Many Thanks in advance!!
  • srn3srn3 Member Posts: 20
    Leather can be substitued with the T-tec fabric.
  • travantravan Member Posts: 8
    Just bought a 2005 S40 T5 AWD and need a car cover. Local dealer wants $325 for one and they would have to order it. My dad's cover for a 2003 S40 will not fit (he doesn't use his). Any ideas where to get one quickly? Have lots of birds in my trees.

Also, I do a lot of highway driving and concerned about rocks being kicked up from trucks ahead of me. Any ideas on hood/bra protection for this model and where to get them? Local dealer doesn't carry anything.
    Going from leather to cloth won't change the ride or the feel in the seat.
    Perhaps some sort of seat cover or padding might work, as long as it is kept clear of the seat airbag.

To my knowledge, nobody makes cushier springs and shocks for the S40.
    If she has an S40 w/ the sport pkg then perhaps you could get the standard shocks and/or springs.

Sounds like she really ought to be in an S80.
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    I have not heard anything from Volvo. What did the software upgrade accomplish?
    Other than my radio mysteriously shutting down on two occasions (& working after restarting the engine) I have had no problems in 4 months.
  • newvolowner2newvolowner2 Member Posts: 4
    While traveling to work on my 2000 S40, I went to gas station to gas up. I turned the ignition off, fueled up, paid for the gas, and got back into the car, and the car would not start. I waited a few minutes, and tried again, and it started. It does this every blue moon. Does any one have a clue to what could be causing this.Plus, the car stalls and will not stay idle.
  • srn3srn3 Member Posts: 20
    If the car has an engine immobilizer, the key usually has an inbuilt chip. At times if the key ring is on top of the key when u try starting, it may not start (i guess coz the chip is made of metal or something so thats why). The manual should mention this too probably.
  • newvolowner2newvolowner2 Member Posts: 4
    Mr. T or somebody! Please Help!
    My engine works after a long time running. However, after I turn the engine off, it takes maybe 10 minutes for it to start again. Mr. T suggested that it may be caused by electical interference at the engine speed sensor. Someone please help me understand this problem. Where is the engine speed sensor.
  • cm3cm3 Member Posts: 11
    2005 S40 2.4M with Climate Package.
    final price after all discounts(no frieght, before tax): $19622+$78.50fees
    $2500 down $347X60 months
    1. Did I get a good deal?
    2. Is steering wheel audio-control the only change between base 2.4?
    3. Why 2005 more than 200LBs less than the 2006?, according to the chart.(the buttons on the steering wheel? )
    4. Is 89 acceptable to this engine or I have to pay for 91 octane?
    5. How do I break-in for a new generation Volvo? (my big family all drove Volvo's: 240's, 760's, 740's)
    6. Is "check engine " light a concern? (it was on during the test drive but they fixed it later on. I was told the tank cao was loss)
    many thx
This discussion has been closed.