Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    well, if they can't price the C30 lower, than they shouldn't bother.

Personally, I'd be looking at a loaded C30 T5 for $25k ($27k w/nav). Anything more and it doesn't work.

I don't think hatchbacks are necessarily a problem here, its overpriced hatchbacks that don't sell. Mazda did VERY well with the P5 and now with the Mazda3 hatch, and the Civic hatch certainly never suffered. As you pointed out, MINI is also a big success. The c230, on the other hand, was a big flop. When you look at what you got for the money with the Benz, it wasn't a surprise that it flopped. Same was true of the bimmer back when that was available. People like hatches, but aren't willing to pay luxo-car prices for them.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Have you seen Jetta prices??
    They are as much or more than the S40!
    Which is why VW will be cutting sticker prices next year.

Yes I have - you can get up over $30K for the GLI. But don't forget you can get into a Jetta for less than $18K MSRP or spend a few bucks more and you can get a comparably equipped Jetta for less than an S40.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Personally, I think a loaded C30 will push $30k.

Even at $25k I have questions about the C30's viability.
    Sub $20k prices are more in line w/ the hatchback market, excepting the Mini which is a special case.
    i think the new civic si is and will continue to be a strong seller, too. That's right at $20k without nav and $22k with nav. And I believe the Volvo will be much more roomy than the civic coupe (i could be wrong), not to mention more features. So I think $5k more is reasonable.

At $30k, it will be the benz c230 all over again.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lehawkinslehawkins Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I have had the same starter problem you've described with my 2005 Volvo S40 T5. Did the ECU download really help? I have had ignition issues with this car since I bought it last July, and desperately want to find a solution! Anyone else having this problem?
  • stanwelksstanwelks Member Posts: 35
    Thanks.
    Anyone know how reliable it has been overall?
  • snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    91 octane...
  • lehawkinslehawkins Member Posts: 2
    My dealer filled my S40 T5 with premium before I bought it and told me to fill it with mid-grade the next time (once the premium was almost out). Then after that, they told me to down-grade again to the "cheap stuff" (not so cheap any more, but...) My car has run just fine on 87 octane, except for the starter problems, which I have been assured are not from the low-grade gasoline.
  • culgariculgari Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 S40 started making some snapping noises about a month ago, mainly when going at slow speeds and turning to the left. I took it in, but the dealership said that the noises could not be heard and I should wait until it gets worse. About a week ago, the car also started making a “rubbing” noise when I turn to the right, and it is coming from the same area, the front left wheel. What can be the problem?
    Thanks
    1. Does anyone know when they should be available?
    2. Does anyone know if anything will be different?

Thanks.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Darcars in Rockville,Md have several 07's on the lot right now!!
    Somewhere in one of these posts was a link to the changes for 07...nothing major...mostly options stuff, but can't remember the details.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Found the info on the 07 S40:

Standard Features:

. Dynamic Stability Traction Control (DSTC) standard on all variants
    . T5 FWD – Automatic transmission becomes standard
    . New, more premium overhead console
    . Puddle lights deleted from all variants

Packages/Options:

. Aux Input and MP3 Capability added to 2.4i Select Package and T5 Audio Package
    . Sirius Satellite Radio available as stand alone option on all variants (requires Select Pkg on 2.4i and Audio Pkg on T5 FWD/AWD)

. Body Styling Package added to 2.4i (Body Kit and Trunk Spoiler)
    . T5 Premium Package adds Auto Dim Mirror with Compass and Homelink
    . T5 FWD/AWD Convenience Package has been deleted
    . Integrated Dual Booster Cushions and IAQS have been deleted as stand alone options

Colors:

. Titanium Grey added
    . Flint Grey deleted">link title
  • raasraas Member Posts: 5
    I had the oil changed at Valvoline at the 37,500 interval but they couldn't figure out how to turn off the Information light reminding me I need service. I can push the Info button on the turn stick and turn it off everytime I start up but I want it to not go on in the first place especially since having changed the oil, I've taken care of the service. The Valvoline guy was trying something from a manual involving holding down the odometer reset while starting the car which does do something (eventually some differant Info message comes up) but the I need service continues to light up..... any ideas?
    Richard
  • lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Yes, there is very simple procedure, that does not require starting engine.

Put your key into position I and press the odometer reset.
    Turn you key into position II (all ON but not the Starting engine), while keep depressing the reset button. Wait for the orange (yellow) warning triangle in the combination, bellow gauges, to start flashing and release the reset button. Turn your key back to the 0 position and remove the key.

And yes, decent mechanic working on Volvos should know this procedure by heart. Change the mechanic - he does not know Volvos at all.
  • dobrovoddobrovod Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone help me out here? Based on specifications, these vehicles look about the same (other than the Jetta doesn't offer AWD.) I guess it comes down to this:

1. How reliable are these three vehicles comparatively?
    2. How expensive are they to maintain?

Can anyone offer any other insight into these three vehicles?

Thanks.
    You might find the following link useful. I liked the BMW but real cost difference favored Volvo...the VW is a different auto without AWD and is better compared to BMW and Volvo w/out AWD.
    http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/compare.aspx
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks snead_c, but there's no reason to go to MSN when dobrovod can do that right here: 2006 Volvo S40: Compare.

Dobrovod, that will take you to an S40 T5 AWD Compare page. Pick only the 3-Series to start (it defaults to the 325xi), and then click Compare Competing Vehicles. When you get to that page, you'll be able to add the Jetta.

But meanwhile, I think you were looking for comments from folks here on one or all three of the vehicles - can anyone else add to snead_c's thoughts?
    Are you looking to lease or buy?

Of the 3, the BMW holds its value the best, as far as I know. VW may be considered the least reliable these days.

The 325xi, on the other hand, is about the slowest BMW car there is.

Of these 3, I think I'd have to go with the S40. If you were comparing a FWD S40, on the other hand, then I'd go for the Jetta. In either case, due to VW's reliability record and Volvo's harsh depreciation, I'd lease my choice.

Of course, if it really was me, I'd forego the AWD and get a 330.

• longhornjefflonghornjeff Member Posts: 7
    With regards to maintenance costs... higher end vehicles are always rumored to cost an arm and a leg to fix any small problem. I can't comment on VW or Volvo, but I used to own a 2001 BMW 325Ci and the maintenance costs are very very minimal. I purchased the extendend warranty of 6yr/100k and never paid for anything. The only costs were oil changes that are around $100, but they only need to be done every 15,000 miles. Brake jobs can be very expensive ($1k), as every time the brakes get done you need to replace the rotors. All in all, I loved my BMW, and I was treated like royalty by the service department every time I showed up. One time I had my car detailed there, and I told him I wanted it back in "showroom condition". They gave me a free loner (as they always do), and a couple days later when I came to pick my car up, it was waiting inside the showroom!
  • dobrovoddobrovod Member Posts: 15
    We are looking to buy not lease. We've driven and priced an S40. We have priced a Jetta and have a test drive (GLI 2.0T) scheduled for Saturday. I drove a BMW 3 series (last generation) a few years ago and we are going to drive and price a new 325xi tomorrow.

Of the three, fully speced out, the S40 is the lowest price to buy based upon the numbers that I've been given so far. It also has more features available than the VW...notably the AWD. My last vehicle was a '95 Jetta and I loved it. VW has made notable improvements but I'm thinking for the price that the S40 might be a better deal. I'm not worried so much about depreciation since we plan to own the car for approximately 7-10 years...reliability is more important. I was impressed with my old VW (compared to the Dodge that I had previously) it was cheap to maintain, mostly just tires, brakes and oil changes.

A BMW without the "xi" is not an option. My aunt has a Mercedes C-Class and parks it in the winter. I don't plan to do that and still want to manuveur in the snow. My old VW does okay in the snow even with only FWD.

Maybe I'm being too meticulous and the final two test drives will be the deciding factor...that ruled out a Honda Civic.

Okay...how about this...Bi-Xenon lights or halogen with washers?

Would the difference between a turbocharged 4 cyclinder vs. a turbocharged 5 cyclinder vs. an inline V-6 be something that I should think about maintenance-wise and performance-wise (all getting nearly the same HP and mileage)?
    well, to start, just a small nit to pick, the engine can be either a V6 or inline, but not both. In this case, its an inline 6 (or I6 for short).

the headlights are really a preference thing. Personally, I have no problem with good halogens.

As far as engine, again, its preference. Some folks like an engine without forced induction. They usually are a bit more responsive off the line. But some folks prefer the kick in the pants that a turbo might give, albeit sometimes at the expense of a bit of lag off the line. By all accounts, the 2.0T in the VW doesn't exhibit typical turbo lag. In addition, its got good power across the RPM range AND delivers good mileage. Sounds like a real nice engine.

The 2.5T in the Volvo has been around for a while now, so its a proven engine (as is the I6 in the bimmer).

AWD really isn't necessary in today's world of electronic traction devices. But, with RWD, you would need a dedicated set of snow tires to feel safe in the bad weather, so that could be an issue if you don't want to have 2 sets of wheels and tires floating around.

• suspendmixsuspendmix Member Posts: 43
    Just wondering if anyone has installed an IPOD or CD Changer with a 2006 Volvo S40 (or 2nd gen s40) using a hardwired FM Modulator. If so what was your experience like? Did you do it yourself? Did you have a place do it? I've found several forums where people have done it but it seems that success installation of an FM modulator to broadcast the sound to your radio (not the wireless variety) seems to be dependent on whether one has an earlier 2nd gen s40 or a later one. I've found a car stereo place in SF willing to do it and who has done it several times before but they want to charge 300. Anyone in the SF bay area know of other places that do this? If people are interested, I can post the name of the audio installer....thanks for any help!
    Volvo offers an ipod fm transmitter for the S40. Cost is under $200.

A cd changer isn't worth it IMO.
    First, you have to find a place for the changer, then power it, then istall the fm transmitter. An ipod transmitter is a much better idea, plus you have access to alot more songs!
    Ya, I have an FM transmitter right now and the sound is horrible...I'm in SF where there isn't a single frequency that doesn't have a station or static so FM transmitter unfortunately is not the solution for me. A wired FM modulator attaches directly to the internal antenna and gives much better sound...thanks though!
    Just an update, I got the CD changer installed with the FM modulator....it was a pain or so the car installation people tell me...they had to fashion new antenna connections...but its in! The sound is awesome...near CD quality, better than FM by far, no drop outs or static....plus access to about 120 hours worth of music at my finger tips...only bad thing is the FM reception has degraded a little...notice it on a relatively low powered station that I don't pick up as well anymore...oh wells...if anyone is interest, lemme know and I'll tell ya where i did it and how much...its in SF...
  • mrrk47mrrk47 Member Posts: 104
    I think I'm just gonna get the volvo ipod fm transmitter so I can play my ipod in the car. Has anyone installed sirius in their S40, any advice??
    i think sirius would also have to be FM transmitter and i think ur in the SF bay...there aren't any free freqencies around so there will also be some interference...hence the reason why i did the modulator....i have to admit tho that i think out of all the transmitters i tried...the iriver one was the best one so if u were to go that route, i'd try that one first....its on sale at amazon for 29...good luck!
  • mdidmdid Member Posts: 13
    FWIW, I have a 2005 S40 T5 AWD stick and am very happy with it -- it is a blast to drive. Handles great and quite comfortable on the highway at high speeds. Also, while this is pretty dependent on wheels and tires (I have the 16 inch rims and all season performance tires) it handles great in the snow. Had it out in ten inches of unplowed snow and cranked through everything no problem.

Performance wise, I would think it is comparable to the 325 (perhaps a bit quicker off the line, but I suspect the 325 steering is superior). I looked at the 3 series when I was shopping and ended up going with the Volvo. From a pricing standpoint (I paid under $30K fully loaded) it was pretty hard to beat. I also plan on being a long-term owner, so the quicker depreciation didn't phase me, but I think that is a good point.

From a maintenance standpoint, I think the jury is still out on the Volvo. I've had the car for 14 months now, and have had one problem (a faulty switch in the starter that caused the security system to prevent the car from starting). That's probably par for the course with a lot of new cars these days, but frustrating nonetheless. I think the more recent 3 series BMWs have had better maintenance records than other models in the BMW lineup.
  • warrior_prwarrior_pr Member Posts: 28
    Interesting point you are talking about. My last car was an Nissan Maxima V6 that use premium fuel (91 or more) so when I was looking to change that car I asked the salesperson which one use the Volvo 2.4i. He said to me Regular. In Puerto Rico you got Regular 87 or Premium 93 on mayors stations. I read the manual after I bought the car and surprise !!! It use 91 or better. Reading that I star using 93 Premium No much changes in performance. At 1200 miles the check service light burned on. Called dealer.. Re-setted computer , said a open gas plug did the service light up. 300 miles latter... light up again. I changed to regular gasoline again .... 500 miles latter the light goes off alone. I believe 2.4i doesn't like 93 premiun gas. Any other store near to this one ????
  • newvolvoguynewvolvoguy Member Posts: 3
    My neighbor purchased an 06' S40 T5 a few months ago and has been plagued with problems with the climate control system. Specifically, when the system is in the auto mode, she hears a constant rubbing noise in the dash that will not stop. According to the dealer, the noise is due to a problem with the motors that control the opening and closing of the vents and the flow of air. Apparently, this is a problem effecting many S40 vehicles and Volvo is working on a fix? I just purchased an 07' S40 T5 and whicle I don't have the rubbbing noise inside the dash, I do notice clicking noises which seem to be coming from the transmission tunnel area or between the two front seats or perhaps the lower part of the center stack when the air conditioning is on and working particularly when it is over 80 degrees and I am accelerating or driving at a steady speed above 45 mph? The clicking noises sound like relays or something switching on and off and do not occur when the climate control system is off. Has anyone else had these problems? Thanks for your input!
    I've got tons of rattles and squeaks from all over the front of the dash but i thought it was due to cd changer install...maybe not...i do notice a squeak coming from the overhead console...and i know this for sure as it goes away when my hand is on it...sigh...a bit frustrating since this brand new near luxury/luxury car feels more like my 1990 integra...
    Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear about your rattles and squeaks. However, the problem that my neighbor has with her 06' S40 T5 is actually not a rattle or squeak due to cheap construction or materials or any modifications but rather a mechanical problem with the motors in the dash which are "going haywire" trying to constantly adjust the doors and airflow when the climate control is on automatic. As far as the clicking sounds in my 07' S40 T5, they sound like relays or switches clicking on and off and are also not rattles or squeaks due to cheap construction or materials. Does anyone know if there are relays associated with the climate control system located low on the center stack or between the two front seats. I was thinking that with the various sensors which monitor temperature, sun intensity and speed of the car, perhaps what I am hearing are the associated relays constantly being activated so as to effectuate adjustments in the climate control. I've had other cars with automatic climate control before but I've never heard this type of clicking noise. Perhaps other cars have the relays located further from the passenger compartment?? I have no clue....so some thoughts. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I just returned from my Volvo dealer this afternoon having complained about the same noises in the center dash area..the service manager also described the problem the same way..motor moving vents. He also said several others have complained and that he had sopken to Volvo support and they do not have a "fix" at this time. He said he'd replaced the motor and related parts on a similar complaint and the noises remained. I call them dog barks. My only current relief is the stereo turned up ...
    Hopefully Volvo will locate a satisfactory solution before I lose patience and replace the car and Volvos for good.
    :cry:
    Thanks for your reply. Well, it seems then that the noises that my neighbor has been having in her 06' S40 T5 are in fact a problem for others and it sounds like the explanation she was given is the same as what you were told. I am curious though......are you also getting the separate "clicking" noises which seem to come from the area between the two front seats or the transmission tunnel when your climate control is on? The clicking noises that I have in my 07' when the climate control system is on occur most often when it is at least 75-80 degrees and on either acceleration or at steady higher speeds 45-50 and up. Do you know what might be causing this clicking?
  • buyer5buyer5 Member Posts: 7
    I'm considering an 2006 S40 and doing a little research right now. I've found this board very helpful so far so I was wondering if anyone can answer any of the following questions:

I've read a few previous post regarding the gas requirement on this car and noticed that some people were saying it required premium gas, while others (and dealers) were saying it didn't, could anyone advise what they are using?

Also, can anyone speak to the room in the backseat? I do a lot of carpooling to work and I'd prefer not hear any complaints from fellow passengers :). I thought of this after the test drive so I didn't think to sit in the backseat at that time but the dimensions I've seen online seem to be pretty standard with some of the cars I've been looking at. Can anyone advise how comfortable (ample leg room, etc.) they feel the backseat is though? Thanks.
    i used premium the first 2 times I filled and regular the last 3-4 times and really noticed no difference in pick up or performance nor a difference in gas mileage...in fact, i think the gas mileage has gotten a bit better as the engine as broken in more...1st was at 24mpg and now its between 26-27 with mostly 3/4 siting in traffic and 1/4 freeway...

i also pick up carpoolers and no complaints...i sat in the back and it has more room than my civic and i picked up carpoolers for years in that...no complaints from carpoolers bout the s40 and if anything, the car itself seems to be a conversation starter...
  • buyer5buyer5 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks suspendmix!
  • gdog202gdog202 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 05 fwd T5 this past april and am very happy so far. I'm not sure what manual the guy above was reading but mine recommends 89 oct fuel or above but says use no lower than 87 oct. I usually put the good stuff in and seem to get a little better mileage when i do. The car is feels very solid and hugs the road really well, i love accelerating through turns! I have the sport suspension package and 17in wheels. Just took a long road trip with some friends and had no complaints from the people in the back, it's a little tight but not uncomfortable by any means, and pretty good for a small car. I've had one or two minor problems with the car but nothing to get to excited over. The drivers side light under the mirror popped out and had to be replaced and the stereo was freezing up, not letting me change stations sometimes, but they updated the software and things are fine now.
    We're having a "cool" spell...as soon as it warms up I'll listen more carefully.
    Charlie :confuse:
  • lunanegralunanegra Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 S40, that I have owned since 2001. I have always gotten mileage that ran between 22-27 mpg depending on city or highway. In the past couple of weeks, I have noticed a serious decline. I am now getting only around 16-17 mpg if I am lucky.

I have always put in premium fuel and I every time I fuel up, I re-set my trip mileage. For the first couple of years, I meticulously tracked my mileage/gas efficiency with every single tank of gas but stopped when it stayed pretty constant. I seem to recall, when I was doing research way back when on whether to buy this car or not, I saw some discussion about this problem and possible causes. I have searched and nothing came up. Anyone else having this "issue"? I have about 80,000 miles and all service/tune-up's have been performed on schedule.

To note (and possibly releated) I have *twice* had to have the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor and thermostat replaced. Last time was Dec. 2005. The car would suddenly surge in RPM's to 4k-5k as if I was flooring it. I was a stoplight at a busy intersection of a highway, and if I hadn't had my foot firmly on the brake I would have shot forward, leading to my untimely demise, or at the minimum, very serious injuries. It was pretty scary. Putting it into neutral didn't have any effect. I had to shut off the engine and restart it. It took about 3-4 times of restarting the car before it would start with normal low RPM's. When I took it to the dealer, they said a faulty ECT sensor was flooding the car with gas. They replaced the sensor and thermostat kit (about $200 for everything) and the problem went away.

Also, noteworthy, the "check engine" light did NOT come on during the intersection incident. The next day, on my way home, it happened again on the highway shooting me down the highway, or then it would stop as if I was running out of gas, you know, that horrible stutter/puttering when its on its last fumes. That time the "check engine" light DID then come on. I ended up having to have it towed from the side of the highway to the dealer, which is when said prognosis of ECT was made.

I called the dealer the other day asking about my serious decrease in mileage and his response was "Is the check engine light on?" It is not. He then replied "Well, you don't have a problem. Those lights are very sensitive and if anything was wrong, or it was running rich, it would come on." Right. Thanks.

Basically, it was dismissed. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
  • carribboucarribbou Member Posts: 6
    Hopefully someone with a 2007 S40 2.4i with standard single CD player (not the changer) can answer this question:

Can you play MP3's burnt to a CD in a 2.4i without the upgraded sound (select package)?
    Someone on another board mentioned that the capability should be in all the '07 S40's.
    Is this true?

thanx.
    I have listened for the clicking but only hear the barking dogs !
    Could we be hearing the same thing ? :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No, those dogs don't go everywhere his car goes, they stay next door to me all the time. :sick:

:shades:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to talk with longtime Volvo owners. Please send your daytime contact info and a sentence or two about your Volvo ownership history to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 27, 2006.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • volvo06volvo06 Member Posts: 1
    MP3's burned on to a CD work just fine on my 2006 2.4i standard CD
  • raasraas Member Posts: 5
    My Volvo dealer advised me to get new tires before the Wisconsin winter. He's even suggesting I buy the tires on the internet and have them installed locally (not at the Volvo dealership) so he's not just interested in a service sale. He advises a separate wheel and tire for snow and then to change seasonally. I could be convinced of that but I really like the conveniance of not having to deal with seasonal tire change. Does anyone have an opinion on tire choices/brands/models/sizes .. either winter tires or all seasonal. I care only about not sliding in the snow ... not performance. Maybe I should use winter tires all year long..would that work? I know little about tires, only that the tires on my S40 are sorta thinner and cuter than tires in the past (a trend I've noticed on many tires). I think the dealer was saying 17 inch. Would winter tires still be cute like that? Advice? Richard
    If you have the 17"s, then you have tires that are not well suited to snow.
    There are tire companies that carry 17" snow tires.
    It sounds to me like your dealership doesn't sell tires, so some place like Tire Rack would be your best bet.
  • paulr7paulr7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Dutch built S40 (1999). Speaking from experience, do adhere to servicing intervals strictly. Fuel consumption could vary for several reasons ...
    (a) I drove my car at 200km/h (approx. 120 mph .. highly illegal but a time saver when driving long distances in rural areas) that is disasterous for good fuel consumption.
    (b) Currently I use 95 octane Unleaded (brandname BP) and get excellent consumption results (however keep the altitude (i.e. atmospheric pressure) in mind, before you decide to change the octane number of the fuel you use).
    (c) Filling the tank to max. I sometimes do smell gas fumes. Therefore I avoid that, by not filling above 49 litres. At my next service I am going to ask someone to have a look at that.
    (d) What I did notice (driving my S40 now for 155000 km) The spark plugs are CRITICAL. Some of the service stations replace the plugs, with the wrong ones. If you don't service at a dealer, try to use Bosch spark plugs.
    (e) If you do a lot of town riding, you must drive your car on the open road, at least at the max. legal speed limit, for about 25 miles, say. Slow driving could cause carbon deposits on engine components.
    (f) Your cars tyre's / tyre pressure must be correct.
    .. If you have any problems with these numbers, I can convert them to miles / U.S. gallons etc.
  • discovery218discovery218 Member Posts: 13
    Just bought a S40 2.4i with select and climate packages. The manaul said if you hold the unlock button for 2 seconds, it'll open all the windows, but mine didn't. Does my 2.4 not have it?
This discussion has been closed.