Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Not quite.
    It only shares the floorpan w/ the Carisma.
    Some of the lesser Euro versions also used Mitsu engines, but the US version used a Volvo engine.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,405
    really? That was a volvo engine?
    I'm surprised.
    Where did they get that one from? That was ... i believe ... a 2.4 4-banger, right? Was that exclusive to the S40? Seems like a pretty expensive venture to make a dedicated engine for your low-end car.

I know Mitsu makes a 2.4, so I never thought it was anything other than a Mitsu. That and it had a Mitsu turbocharger on it, didn't it?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

The US S40 used a 1.9l Turbo 4. It was essentially the 2.4l 5 cyl minus 1 cyl.
    The 5 cyl was part of a modular engine family, the 4, 5 and 6 cyl engines were essentially the same design.
    oooohhh... 1.9 ... that's right.
    thanks for the refresher.

• The Volvo S40 looks boring just like all Volvo's.
    Why is it so small?
    For such a small car it gets terrible gas mileage.
    It does not offer any sporty options.
    My question is why would anyone buy it?
    :confuse:
  • And my question to you is why would you even bother to ask this question here?

My answer to you is:

S40 is arguably the most stylish small sedan and is rather beautiful to me.
    The gas mileage is in line with all direct competition
    S40 has surprisingly large interior volume for its "smallish" look.

Volvo in general is not in the business of building sport cars. You need to look elsewhere for it.
  • I'm more curious as to why someone takes the time to go on a message board and post such things. I think I'd rather be doing something else.

I think it is a very nice, sleek looking car. Not sure why anyone would think it is small? It isn't the size of a Honda Fit or something. It is a compact car, so it isn't going to be the size of a Buick, but somehow I think that wasn't the point of the post anyway, was it?
  • It is shorter than BMW 3 or Audi A4 or Acura TSX, that is why some may consider it small, but the interior volume is respectful due to the clever traverse engine mount.
    I'm more curious as to why someone takes the time to go on a message board and post such things.

I spell it T-R-O-L-L-ing for a response. ;b

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    the proper response? Don't feed 'em! ;)
  • My 05 S40 is in the shop because of an engine warning message. Volvo immediately diagnosed the problem as an air cooling fan. While in the shop, they gave me an 07 model - I can't believe Volvo has not updated the interior, such as the placement of the armrest, lack of storage space, especially in the door, and has not improved the car's blind spots. Otherwise, still a great car
  • monavemonave Posts: 2
    I want to buy a 2007 S40, but its side-impact rating from the Insurance Institute on Highway Safety is A for(just)acceptable, and this is mainly due to the rating of Marginal for the category, Torso; the IIHS says that broken ribs and internal organ injury are possible. It's hard to believe such a rating from the Company with a strong reputation for safety. Has anyone raised this issue with dealers or the Company? What do they say? I hate to ask this, but can anyone share experiences regarding side-impact crashes? (Yes, I know safety is more than side crashes, but side-impact protection is among my highest priorities for my new car.)
    Thanks
    its really a personal thing, I think.

For instance, I don't personally expect to have a steel barrier smash into the side of my car while I'm sitting still. What I mean is, the tests run by IIHS are extremely unlikely to directly reflect what will happen to you in the real world.

But, yes, I realize you have to compare somewhere. All I can say is that if it really bothers you, you might want to look elsewhere. Or, if you are like me, unless the results are really horrific, you take those tests with a grain of salt and buy what your gut tells you to.

• monavemonave Posts: 2
    Very good points, qbrozen. My gut and the car's good specs and standard features will be listened to. (But, maximum auto safety should be a universal, i.e., available to all, thing.) Thanks.
    :)

i hope you enjoy it. And i hope the safety will never need come into question (meaning no accidents). :)

• likalika Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am sooooooo happy I found this forum. I am from Russia, I live now in Canada for about 8 months, and was thinking about buying a car. I never drived before, so I don't know which car is good. Everybody suggesting to get a Civic, they say it's a good car and excellent on gas. I was thinking about Volvo S40(2006). How much oil will this car use per day? I will drive about 50 km/day, 5 days/week. Can someone help me please? I don't know who to ask, when you go to the dealler they always say something to make it look good, they are very pushy. Please help me!!!!! Thank you.
    base model or T5? AWD or FWD? stick or automatic?

The S40 in any configuration will never get the kind of mileage a Civic does, but that is because it is a different class of car. It is quite a bit heavier, and can be equipped to be more powerful.

• snead_csnead_c Posts: 64
    I own a 2006 S40 T5...It can get over 30 MPG highway at average speeds. Around town it can be as low as 16 MPG. While I love my Volvo, most of the time, for the money and for what appears to be a first car I'd recommend the Honda Civic. My daughter's is great all around and the initial cost is much less as well as ownership costs being among the best around.
    Good luck.
    Charlie :)
  • snead_csnead_c Posts: 64
    I just did my first filter cartridge change ...it was by far the most difficult I've experienced in my 60 years of life ! I secured the special cap needed to remove the cartridge top but there is not enough space to get the cap out and away from the engine. After over an hour I squeezed the used cartridge out and squeezed the new one in but I'm preparing to return to the dealer for all future changes without help.
    Has anyone come up with an "easy way ?"
    :confuse:
  • bonsbons Posts: 45
    It looks like the current S40 is a teaser from Volvo to gauge market response. Expect the next S40 to make a giant leap forward as it will replaces S60. If this is true Volvo is realigning its models to compete directly with Mercedes and BMW.

I think this is Volvo plan:
    No more S60, improve the S40 to take its place, and add a top-of-the line ultra-luxury Volvo to competes with 7-series, S-class, and A-8
    S40 = 3 series = C-class
    S80 = 5 series = E-class
    Sxx = 7 series = S-class - to be introduced soon?

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/03/scoop-2009-volvo-s40.html
    I have heard that, and another plan that would eliminate the S40 altogether.
    In either case, there won't be a 7 Series competitor.
    You might see a stretched S80, but not a car in the high end class
  • tselgastselgas Posts: 2
    The S40 is a great little car, but not much room under the trunk floor. There are two big pieces of foam under the trunk floor.

Any experience removing the foam for more room to store tools, flares etc?
    Thanks
    Tom
  • HI ALL,
    Please Help.
    I am trying to connect a JVC KDNX5000 GPS/Navigation system.
    I need to find out where the cruise control module is and what color the speed signal wire is.
    Can someone please help?
    Thanks,
    David
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,598
    Here's the confusing thing - he owns a Mazda 3! Same basic car as the Volvo. Very odd...
  • HI ALL,
    Please Help.
    I am trying to install a JVC KDNX5000 GPS/Navigation system in a 2000 Volvo S40.
    As part of this install, I need to find out where the cruise control module is and what color the speed signal wire is.
    Can someone please help?
    Thanks,
    David
    Here's the confusing thing - he owns a Mazda 3! Same basic car as the Volvo. Very odd...

It really isn't.

While Mazda used the chassis design, they didn't use the hardened steel that Volvo uses.
    Also, electronics, engines, suspension tuning, sound insulation, seats, interior are all different.
  • dhurtukdhurtuk Posts: 1
    My original car sticker indicates the car has a 16 gallon fuel tank, but I can only fill 12 gallons when the needle hits E. Has anyone noticed what their fuel capacity is? 12 gallons or 16? Just want to know if I'm alone on this one....
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    It's a 16 gallon tank. For your car, when the gauge is on E, you still have 4 gallons left. Just because it is on "E" doesn't mean that the tank is truly empty. (Thanks goodness because my wife drives hers down to E every chance she gets (yes I know that is not good for the car's fuel pump). :sick:
  • I have a 2000 S40 and I have regulary tracked my milage when I fill up. Most of the time I get around MAX 13 1/2 gallons when down to "E" even after driving a bit longer once that comes on. Once or twice I was able to break the 14 gallon barrier. I have never once reached 15 or 16 gallons. And believe me I have really pushed it. I am glad, however for the buffer as I am sure it has saved me from myself! :-)