Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    Hi snead_c: Thanks for your feedback...much appreciated. I certainly agree that the Hondas, Toyotas and Mazdas have a dependability factor that can't be ignored. They generally run like Swiss watches, but other than the higher-end vehicles (Acura, Infinity and Lexus), I find them to be pretty boring, not much more exciting than a Taurus. I own or have owned three Jettas, a Passat and an Audi A4 which have been generally good vehicles, but many annoying smaller problems (ridiculously bad window mechanisms, front suspension issues, wheel bearings, coil packs, and frequent CEL issues). So..when you say that Volvo parts and service costs are high, would you say that they are WORSE than VW/Audi? What attracts me most about Volvos is their reputation for safety. Thanks again, vwdawg
  • snead_csnead_c Posts: 64
    I've also had 1 Acura,7 VWs,1 Volvo...lots of Subis,Hondas,Toyotas,and even a Ford LTD and Galaxy, 2 Pontiacs,a Dodge Diplomat, a Chevy Kamback,a Protege,and...I must have left something out...currently we have a 2006 S40 and 2009 Prius. I've never had a car I didn't like at the time and most were "solid"...in pricing parts for the Volvo I've watched waranty items and service costs. I'd say VW and the Volvo would be about the same with a little more parts availability for VWs.
    I look at the highway admin data when available for safety concerns.
    You seem very experienced and could probably handle typical repair issues for any purchase. Me...oil changes,etc only.
    For my daughter I purchased a Honda Accord(used..and stolen) A new Civic (wrecked) a Toyota Camry(used and traded) for a Mazda Protege. After 100,000miles she purchased a new Civic and loves it.
    I drive the Volvo for the awd aspect since we live in the mountains and it's a solid feeling comfortable car to drive (with 23MPG overall)...more so than our Prius.
    I purchased the Prius for my wife last November...we have 19,000+ miles on it and love it. gas milage can run from 40 to 55 MPG and it has minimal service need and it's a Toyota. The hybrid battery should exceed 180,000 miles and about all I need to do is change the oil every 5000 miles and drop in an air filter now and then and it has very good safety ratings.
    Seriously, if you haven't driven one check out the 2010. I 'll bet you'll be very surprised.
    Nice chatting with another "car crazy" person. :D
  • vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    Hi snead_c: Thanks for your thorough overview and commentary on all of these vehicles. It sounds like your experience with the '06 S40 has been reasonably good....I might explore the S40 or V40 in the near future, although with two recent college grads and my youngest daughter still in private high school, I'm probably going to have to restrict my options to 2002 or older, with lower mileage if I can find one. I bought an ancient (1995) Mazda 626 V6 for my oldest daughter three years ago, and it just keeps rolling along at 140,000 miles. I have also owned several other Mazdas along the way, and have concluded that they are just as dependable as the Hondas and Toyotas, but the prices aren't quite as overinflated. I am aware of the raves on the new Prius, and will probably purchase one in the future, but the budget won't support a $28-30,000 rig right now. Have an excellent day. vwdawg
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi All!

I am considering purchasing a new Volvo 2010 - S40 with 2.5 / inline 5 cylinder engine and a 5 speed automatic transmission.

The vehicle will have the following options:

1.) Power Glass Moonroof.
    2.) Power Passenger Seat.
    3.) Keyless Drive Function.
    4.) Heated Front Seats.

I am looking at the reviews on Volvo's, and I am seeing that there are some issues with the S40 vehicles. --- Some of these vehicles have electrical, A/C, brake and transmission issues.

Are there any owners out there who could put some light on this issue! ----I do not want to purchase a vehicle that has a potential problem! ----- I do not want to purchase a "dog!"

Some of the other vehicles that I am considering are:

1.) Toyota Rav4
    2.) Honda CRV
    3.) Hyundai Sonata
    4.) Ford Fusion
    5.) Mercury Milan
    6.) Toyota Camry
    7.) Chevrolet Malibu

Best regards! ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • My wife has a similar vehicle, but 2007. After 35,000 miles the only problem encountered was that the battery died about 2 weeks ago. It was easily replaced, of course.

The Volvo has a refined feel to it: the other cars you list do not. By refined, I mean that all the controls (steering, brakes, etc) seem smoother, made to tighter tolerances. Test drive one and pay attention to that feeling and you'll feel the difference.
    Paul
    Paul:

Thank you for the posting! ----- I want to be VERY careful about making this purchase!

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;)
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    I agree, my '07 T5 has been great, I'm only at 22k miles. The T5 motor can be thrifty on fuel if you want it to be, but it is fun to run it through its paces too. I have 8 months left on my lease and am considering another one, probably the AWD version though.

-Brian
    Good Morning Brian:

Thank you for your posting on this subject. ------ How often does Volvo require you to change the engine oil? ----- I presently have a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6 and Toyota recommends 5,000 mile oil and filter changes. ------ (I make it a point to do it every 2,500 miles, because my vehicle is my office, and engine sludge can be an issue on some vehicles!) ------ What does the dealer charge for an oil & filter service. ----- The Toyota dealer charges $30.000 + tax & EPA charges. ------- I use the dealer because I want all my maintenance records in one location should I need service work under the extended warranty. ------ Do you have an extended warranty on your vehicle? ---- If the answer to this question is "yes," ----what was the cost of that warranty? --------- Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards. ------------ Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • I'm not Brian, but for one point of reference: y wife's S40 I4 is required to be changed every 7500 miles! As I know something about oil deterioration (which is really additive deterioration), it scared me. A technician told me that they get away with it because of the large sump. It takes 7 quarts. Though they don't call for it, I use synthetic as insurance.
    Paul
    Yep, the previous poster answered the mileage interval I use as well. There is a MAINT REQD message that appears when it is time to get the oil changed. I do not have a maintenance package or extended warranty. However, the new Volvo's come with included maintenance for 3 years with the Safe & Sound package. So, your scheduled maintenance is already paid for.

-Brian
    Hi Brian & Paul:

I do not think that I will let the oil remain in the engine for 7500 miles. ------ I understand that the oil and filter service is pre-paid for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, so I will supplement these services by changing my oil and filter at 3750 miles between the pre-paid oil & filter service. ---- (I will use the selling dealer for this service so I will be getting a Volvo filter and the correct oil.) ----- Most likely, I will use "DINO OIL" since synthetic is not required. (I would rather have clean oil every 3750 miles using "Dino Oil" than have synthetic oil running for 7500 miles.

Some of the earlier S40 vehicles seem to have electrical and transmission issues. ----- Have these problems been corrected for the 2009 / 2010 models? Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards. ---------------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • Mine is a 2006 T5 with all otions incl awd and 54000 miles on it. Only problems have been a loose electrical connection in the passenger door and a piece of rubber in the sunroof tearing twice. It's a solid feeling car and gives excellent mpg on the hiway..30+ and ok mpg miixed driving at 22 (high test prices). Paint holds up extra well. Power seat adjustments make for comfortable driving. I change my own oil and filter every 4500-5000 miles with Mobil 1 5w 30. The cabin filter change is not easy and I've used the dealer at a $125 cost.
    We also own a 2009 Prius that's great in every respect except seating...Toyota reliability, very low maintenance costs, and 48+ mpg avg. on regular. Seats are supposed to be better in 2010.
    :) Good luck
    Would seem that you'd be throwing money away doing the oil change more often than necessary, though I am certain your dealer wouldn't mind changing the oil more often for you on your dime. You shouldn't worry about going 7500 miles on the motor oil, it will be fine....

-Brian
  • skr2skr2 Posts: 32
    2009 S40 or 2010 S40 any suggestions for buying prices would be highly appreciated. I understand that the 2010 comes with the 5 years 60K warranty and maintenance...
    Thanks in advance
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,578
    I have pretty severe spinal issues and was set to buy a S40 in early July but was turned off by the front seat...terrible actually and I tried a 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009 just to be sure. Very disappointed actually...guess the great seats are on the other models in the line-up. To be honest, the power drivers seat in the Sonata was hands down so much better. Finally solved my seating issues by putting my Relax The Back cushion in my Civic and it's been fantastic.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• How did they fix the loose wire connection in the door? The power to my door went out then came back a day later. I'd like to do something before it goes out again. Thanks.
  • A black rubber connector visible in the hinge when you open the front door. The tech just pushed the pieces together. I hope your solution is that simple.
  • We just took delivery of a brand new Volvo turbo tonight - a first for us. Ran across something interesting in the owner's manual that the turbo should be allowed to spin down 'a short time' before you turn the engine off. The dealer didn't say anything about that, so I'm a little confused.

Most of the info online talks about 'hard driving'; so I can understand the cool down period. But most of our driving will be around town.

Any advise?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    All turbos are the same and work this way. It does have to do with hard driving, but the definition of what is hard driving is where it is grey. Turbos get very very hot and use oil to lubricate and air to cool. If you turn off a turbo car when the turbo is at high temperature, the oil that is inside will cook and potentially gunk up the turbo.

To avoid this, you want to make sure the oil continues flowing until the turbo cools down a bit. This can either be done sitting still idling or at low rpms for a few final minutes of driving. If you live in a development, for instance, the few minutes of low speed/low rpm driving through your local streets to your house will suffice. If, however, you live on a high speed road or very near a high speed road, you don't want to be driving 65 mph right up to your driveway, park and turn it off.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Looking at 2005-06 S40's and following this discussion. Decided to check Service Bulletins and 2006 had approx. 35 and 2007 around 12. Many electrical, air bag issues, etc. Realize all cars have service bulletins however looked a bit excessive to me. If I purchased an 05 or 06 certified vehicle in 2010, would I expect that all applicable recalls and service bulletins would have been completed and all clear on these issues? Or am I better off taking my dollars elsewhere for a reliable and safe vehicle at same pricepoint. Was hoping that was S40! Feedback from those who bought 2005/06 S40's appreciated. Looking for reliable, "smaller" mid-size with really good front/side stats and resale.Looking to make decision. Comments on S40 or alternate appreciated! :)