Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• wdrwdr Member Posts: 11
    Just reading through the postings after not having been to this site for a while:
    1. I haven't experienced the a/c problem here in Michigan, but it's been a mild summer so far. As an engineer for an automotive climate control company (not the producer of the S40's system) it sounds to me like the evaporator core may be freezing up. This can happen if the a/c controls are not properly modulating refrigerant flow or if the moisture is not able to shed off of the evaporator fast enough. I would first recommend checking to make sure the evaporator's drain tube is not clogged up.
    Meanwhile, if the problem occurs while driving down the road try turning to the heater for a few minutes to "thaw out" the evaporator.

2. Had a flat on my S40 yesterday. Found that owner's manual is missing diagrams to show how to remove wheel after untorquing lug nuts. Also, found that tool provided for wedging between wheel and hub will not work for front wheels. This didn't matter anyway since the wheel was corroded to the hub. Dealer told me this is normal and that I just needed to bang on the backside of the wheel with a mallet (which of course is not part of the Volvo toolkit). So, I feel either Volvo owes us a mallet with the tire change toolkit or needs to design their wheels so they don't corrode to the hub. Anybody know to whom I can complain?

By the way, a new tire cost me $192.00 from the dealership!
  • johng59johng59 Member Posts: 1
    i love driving my s40, but i recently began getting a gas smell while using the air conditioning on either external air or recirculate. i brought it in to the dealer and they pressure tested the fuel system and found no leaks, and said they could not repeat the problem. When i get out of my car my shirt smells like i just pumped gas for a few hours. has anyone experienced this problem??

in addition my horn did not function on one side, and they are replacing the steering wheel on my next visit as well as doing a further check on the odor.
  • tomsoltistomsoltis Member Posts: 22
    I now have 19M miles on my S40. I've had minor electrical problems that have not necessarily impacted the performance of the car. They have been more of an inconvenience than anything else.
    Warning lights going on, rear defroster not turning off automatically and things like that. How bad is it if your rear defroster is staying on longer than it should? Even though some will argue that nothing should go wrong w/a new car, that seems like minor stuff to me. The outstanding question is, will it plague me forever?

I've mastered the poorly planned cup holder situation and now understand that the fader on the upgraded stereo needs to be tweeked into position every once in awhile. Probably not worth a recall.

The free "weekender" roof carrier that I received fit fine on my Toyota Sienna for my vacation. However,it did need to be tweeked as well. But it saved me from borrowing a relatives Sears hook-up.
    I also appreciate the trunk mat that I recieved as part of that same promotion.

What don't I like? The only thing I can't deny is that there is not a lot of rear leg room. Personally, I don't need it because this is a commuter car that I expect to get hundreds of thousands of miles out of. The driver's seat is great, that's all I need! However, even with that, when I take it for business reasons w/people who need to sit in the back its clear that there isn't alot of room. Oh well, I guess if you need that you have to move up and you shouldn't be in this car.

Would I buy it again? Time will tell. I new what it was when I bought it and now I just need a couple hundrend thousand miles under my belt to answer that question.

I have a long successful history with low maintanence Toyota's and Mazda's and at this 19M mile point I can't say that this Volvo has required any more attention than those great cars I've had in the past.

In addition, I think that Volvo has a great opportunity to improve on future versions of this model by improving on the ergonomics overall. Good Luck w/your decision.
  • rvk1rvk1 Member Posts: 2
    Just checked recent postings after returning from vacation and read two additional references to a/c problems.

Posting #312 (wdr)said that if the a/c's evaporator core freezes up the a/c problem may be fixable by turning the heater on for "a few minutes to thaw out the evaporator."

COMMENT: I thank wdr for his skill and experience in recognizing this as a potential issue. And, I can't help but notice the irony in using the heater to make the air conditioner work. I'd actually be amused if I didn't want to buy an S40 with a trouble-free a/c system.

I live in Atlanta, GA and I need reliable a/c. Perhaps the Dutch and Swedes who build/design the S40's are more interested in heating than cooling given their geographical heritage.

Posting #313 (johng59)alerts us potential S40 buyers and current S40 owners to yet another a/c related problem when he states that he "recently began getting a gas smell while using the air conditioning...".

ATTENTION VOLVO! There appears to be a potential SAFETY ISSUE here. Gas fumes are combustable and therefore a risk when sparks from electronics and/or smoking materials are present.

PLEASE IDENTIFY AND FIX ALL A/C SAFETY AND RELIABILITY ISSUES. I want to buy a 2001 Volvo S40 and be assured I will be both safe and comfortable, but am hesitant to buy given the a/c issues stated above.
  • wdrwdr Member Posts: 11
    1. I agree that it's not good design to have to run the heater to thaw out the a/c, but I was just presenting that as a way to relieve the symptoms. Another thing to check is whether you are running the a/c in recirc mode for long periods of time. This can allow the evaporator surface temperature to drop below freezing, causing ice to form on its surface.

2. I haven't experienced a gas-like odor from my a/c, but I have experienced a different kind of odor.......not quite sure how to describe it. I would definitely be concerned if I smelled fuel!!
    A/C odor is a common problem for all manufacturers. I'm not sure anyone has really solved it, but the odor is usually not that of fuel.

3. As far as Volvo adequately designing the a/c system I can say that Volvo does having a proving grounds in Arizona for hot weather testing. I don't know if the S40/V40 were tested here or if Volvo did any testing in high humidity climates such as Florida, Lousiana, Galveston, TX.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I had a similar problem, though on my Honda Accord. I don't know if this fix would be appropriate to the S40, but a/c systems are more or less universal in their operation, if not their design. On my Honda, the drain tube was clogged, allowing water to drip under my dashboard and consequently giving off a musty odor. It's an easy fix; my Honda dealer did it for free, even though my car is six years old. They used compressed air to unclog the drain tube. It seems that water not draining correctly could cause it to build up around the condenser, subsequently freezing against it. This is just a guess, but it might be something worth checking out.
    Secondly, the reason I'm lurking here is I'm thinking about leasing an S40. What would a fair lease rate be?
  • gganounggganoung Member Posts: 2
    The front tires on my 2000 S40 with 9,000 miles are experiencing excessive wear. About half the tread is worn. Pressures and alignment are right on mfr's spec. The tires are original Continental brand.
    Any thoughts??
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    You should be rotating your tires every 5,000 miles or so.
  • ggeckoiiiggeckoiii Member Posts: 17
    See:
    http://vcc.volvocars.se/index.asp?mainurl=/pp/news40

and

http://newcar.volvocars.se/vcc/x40/

and

http://www.volvospy.com/spy/s402.php3

Keep in mind, fellow Americans, that most of the above information is for Europeans. Some colors, engines and manual transmission probably will not be available in the US.
    Why does the S40 only come in automatic in the US? I don't buy the "EPA inspection is too expensive." Kias and lawnmowers have no problem affording such inspections. However, I would ask Ford because they may "feel that they better know the US market." In the US, many manufacturers only offer automatic on their models, i.e.: Acura. It saves costs, only have to produce automatic models and 'market analyst determine that Americans prefer automatic.' (they didnt ask me) But, Volvo does make manual transmission models - just not sold in US.
    If I have to take automatic, I'd absolutely take a 2001 MY instead of 2000 MY because it will provide a 5 speed automatic vs. 4 speed. See above links for more information and comparisons.
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    I stopped by this afternoon to take a look at the 2001 V40. It was just off the truck, and has not been prepped. I can say that the interior treatment is better than last year. Interior is now tan/taupe, center console is different, center dash is different, more like the rest of the model line. Radio and climate control buttons are different, and the window, side mirror and lock controls are on the doors. One thing, there is only one cupholder up front, the pop out one on the dash... none where the arm rest is. There is a slide door over a small storage compartment, and there are nor cutouts for CDs underneath the arm rest. Volvo will have the car cleaned up in about a week, and I will test drive, and let you know what I find. While at the dealership, I couldn't resist driving a V70 wagon (2.4T), for about 1/2 hour. All I can say is WOW, what a nice car. If the S60 is anything like this, Volvo may just find its way to the top of the heap of Euro cars.
    I stopped by this afternoon to take a look at the 2001 V40. It was just off the truck, and has not been prepped. I can say that the interior treatment is better than last year. Interior is now tan/taupe, center console is different, center dash is different, more like the rest of the model line. Radio and climate control buttons changed, and the window, side mirror and lock controls are on the doors. One thing, there is only one cupholder up front, the pop out one on the dash... none where the arm rest is. There is a slide door over a small storage compartment underneath the emergency brake, and there are nor cutouts for CDs underneath the arm rest. Volvo will have the car cleaned up in about a week, and I will test drive, and let you know what I find. While at the dealership, I couldn't resist driving a V70 wagon (2.4T), for about 1/2 hour. All I can say is WOW, what a nice car. If the S60 is anything like this, Volvo may just find its way to the top of the heap of Euro cars.
  • bmalikbbmalikb Member Posts: 6
    It wasn't too bad for $24K. Small but not tight, good amount of pick up etc.

Does anyone know if there will be a bump in price for the 2001 model?

Also, I thought I read that the saleperson gets a special added bonus for selling the loaner cars. There is one about to be available, with a few decent options and I want to get the right price.

Thanks...
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    #318 of 323: Volvo S40 Tire Wear (gganoung) Sat 12 Aug '00 (05:55 AM)

The front tires on my 2000 S40 with 9,000 miles are experiencing excessive wear. About half the tread is worn. Pressures and alignment are right on mfr's spec. The tires are original Continental brand.
    Any thoughts??

Same thing happened on my boss's V70 XC, same tires, same, horrible wear. Dealer said everything was all in spec. He replaced them with some sort of Goodyears.
  • dwdygadwdyga Member Posts: 1
    Just leased a new 2000 S40 in the metro Atlanta area for selling price of abt $500 over invoice. Mine had sunroof pkg/audio pkg/weather pkg. I love it so far - very sporty yet classy - I used to drive a 95 Acura Integra GSR and am impressed with the pickup the Volvo has. Anyone have any thoughts about my pricing? Any comparisons in a similar sized market?

One complaint so far - I took it home to show it off to the parental units this weekend. I have some kind of rattle in the front end when I let off the accelerator at speeds above 40 mph. Sounds like a CV-type problem, but I can't imagine that since there is less than 600 miles on it. Having the dealer check it out tomorrow.
  • jimvolvojimvolvo Member Posts: 1
    We purchased an S40 in early january, 2000. The car is preimarily for my wife's use. While generally we are pleased with the S-40 we have had a few minor problems - the check engine light went on after a few months of driving and we took it to Royal motors in SF, they initially throught the problem was an Oxygen Sensor, then changed their mind and said it was a Mass Air Sensor. We picked up the car and the "check engine" light went back on. So we took it to another dealer in Pleasanton, CA. They determined that the problem was a horse conecting the turbo, and replaced it. After that we had no problem with "check engine" light. The only problem we have not been able to fix is the air conditioner. It seems that when ever we drive it with the air conditioner on in "hot weather" that after about three hours of driving the air conditioner begins to throw out warm air instead of cold air. Hey that is no fun when it is over 100 degree's. We first experienced it driving down from San Francisco to Santa Barbara in June and then returning from Santa Barbara to San Francisco. Both times we had the same experience the air conditioning just pooped out on us. Upon our return we condacted three dealers, by phone to describe the problem and none of them had heard of a similar problem on the S-40's. Granted it is a new car in the US. So I went on Edmunds and found a number of S-40 owners experiencing the same problem. No one appears to be able to reasolve the problem. Yesterday I called another dealer and the service person said they had experienced similar problems in older Volvo's but not the S-40's. He said "bring it in we'll need to keep it awhile". Does anyone have an idea as to what the air conditioning problem is and if it can be fixed? We just don't want to go to a dealer, have them tell it is fixed and then find out on our next trip that it continues to blow out warm air after long periods of driving in hot weather. JimVolvo
    problem in S40. I asked this question at the dealership last time I had the oil changed on my S70. The service and sales people told me that there is a software fix for the problem. Since I don't own one, I can't tell you if this is true or not. They have seen the problem (this is University Volvo in Charlotte, NC.) I would ask your local dealer(s) to check. I also saw reference to this somewhere on brickboard.
  • fizzofizzo Member Posts: 1
    i've had the s40 since december and was always unhappy with the sound i was getting from the stereo which is the upgraded one. It's bad enough to make me wonder what the standard one sounds like. i must clarify that my cd sounds great, it's just the radio sound which might be due to bad reception or something. it's not clear sound and the volume goes in and out (maybe because of antanae reception?). just wondering if it's just my car and if i should take it to get looked at. Too long with bad radio is starting to get to me.
  • seattlesheilaseattlesheila Member Posts: 68
    I've been without a car for the past 8 years. Since my workplace is moving to a place almost inaccessable by bus, I am shopping for a vehicle. I've never had a new car before, and since I will keep the car for a long time, I have decided to purchase a new one in October. I WAS looking at the S40...but you guys are scaring me. Is it REALLY that bad? Cup holder is not an issue for me. I don't imbibe while driving...but air conditioning problems? (Yeah, we DO need that in the summer up here in Seattle.) Any other things I have to worry about? Should I look at something else?
  • gganounggganoung Member Posts: 2
    Lugnuts came loose (so says the service dept) - almost lost the wheel. They SAY that theres a Service Bulletin thats been issued recently on HOW TO MOUNT A WHEEL!!!!. But amazingly enough, they cant produce on that I can see. Its all verbal....yeah right! Am I stupid or what????
    Anybody ever hear of this??

Gary
  • rdshaf94rdshaf94 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Sheila,

I've had my S40 for 7 months (6000 miles). The only "problem" I've had was losing the 2 front plastic wheel inserts, which I'll have the dealer replace when I go in for my first servicing. I looked at the same group of cars that you're looking at. I've been very pleased with my selection. Very comfortable, lots of punch, and like all Volvo's, very safe.

Robert
  • srikandisrikandi Member Posts: 1
    I just brought a 2001 S40 a week back and now
    the VOLVO company is recalling my car siting that the car has a bad body frame. Acording to dealer there were about 100 cars with this defect, and iam the only one who actually got the car, the rest of them were detected at the port. Iam not
    totaly satisfied the way Volvo is inspecting the cars. So if anyone is planning to buy one please
    make sure the caris checked for any defects so that you people can avoid the ordeal i am going through. After all i am regreting that i have traded in my wonderful ACURA for this relatively unproved product.
    Good luck folks.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #332:

srikandi, while it certainly bites having any sort of recall, I don't think it is so bad to have the company voluntarily admit and fix a problem before you discover it the hard way (and there are manufacturers who don't do that).

Also, the S40 is pretty proven at this point. Don't forget this car has been out in the rest of the world for years now.

Could you supply more details on the body frame issue for your car? This is the first I've heard of it and would like to learn more even if it only affects a narrow VIN range.

Thanks.

-rdo
    [email protected]
  • jhannanjhannan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 S40 with 6,000 miles on it. The fit and finish is the worst I have ever experienced. I started taking it to the dealer 2 weeks after the purchase to have squeaks and rattles fixed. After 5 trips (the 6th is scheduled this month) and 2 dealerships, the squeaks continue. What is worse, the the quality of the service I receive is horrible ! Royal Motors in San Francisco routinely returns my car with parts hanging off prompting still more return visits!
    I will never ever buy another Volvo and I kick myself for buying this one. I am locked into a lease that Volvo will not let me out of. I even contacted an lawyer regarding CA's lemon law. It doesn't apply to poor build quality, just safety issues.
    If you are considering a Volvo S40, don't. Save yourself the money and buy something else. The car is junk.

j.
  • jhannanjhannan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 S40 with 6,000 miles on it. The fit and finish is the worst I have ever experienced. I started taking it to the dealer 2 weeks after the purchase to have squeaks and rattles fixed. After 5 trips (the 6th is scheduled this month) and 2 dealerships, the squeaks continue. What is worse, the the quality of the service I receive is horrible ! Royal Motors in San Francisco routinely returns my car with parts hanging off prompting still more return visits!
    I will never ever buy another Volvo and I kick myself for buying this one. I am locked into a lease that Volvo will not let me out of. I even contacted an lawyer regarding CA's lemon law. It doesn't apply to poor build quality, just safety issues.
    If you are considering a Volvo S40, don't. Save yourself the money and buy something else. The car is junk.

j.
    Have owned to S40 for approx. 11 months. Just brought it in for its 15M/22M service. The car has 20M miles on it. In addition to the scheduled service my car needed rear brakes. Apparently, the pads were near metal to metal. Service dept. suggested that they are finding S40's need rear pads at 20M miles.

In addition, my wheels are routinely spoiled by brake dust. My dealership's service dept. suggested that it was due to Volvo's brake pads being "soft". I'm uncertain if that means non-Volvo pads would be harder and eliminate the dust.
    I'll keep you posted. Other than that, after they fixed the minor electrical issues, I think its a good car
  • hrguy2hrguy2 Member Posts: 1
    Went as far as to place a "deposit" (no written commitment) on the S40, then changed my mind. This after hours of research on Edmunds and all the others. I went to drive the S40 again over the weekend and it handled well, looked good, and had the safety features I was looking for - but something was wrong. I can't seem to get over the fact that this car reminds me of a Honda Civic.

No offense to you Civic-lovers out there, but I'm past the time in my life where a Civic-style car fits me. But when you're getting ready to plop down $26,000 for a car, it should NOT remind you of a Civic.

Main complaints on the S40 - cramped inside, limited visibility (especially with the mirrors), and a cupholder that virtually guarantees that your coffee will end up in your stereo and AC controls.

So it came down to a decision to go with the Maxima. I know, I know - very different cars. But very similar price. So instead of an entry level Volvo, I'll have a fully loaded Maxima.
  • rmg2rmg2 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone seen/driven the 2001 S40? Any opinions? (My dealer has some in, but doesn't have them prepped yet.) He told me that they have redesigned the control layout for 2001 to address complaints about non-standard placement of controls for windows, etc. Thanks
  • rizzo7rizzo7 Member Posts: 8
    I too was in the same position as you. I was also considering the S40 vs the Max (yeah, yeah, 2 very different cars.)

Anyway, after much thought, I too went with the Maxima, and must say I LOVE every mile in my car. For $25K, I got a loaded GLE, with sunrf, Bose, leather, heated seats, etc...a wise choice, IMO. Loving the 222 hp...

Good luck with your search...
  • guessworkguesswork Member Posts: 1
    Drove an S40 and really liked it. Went looking to see if there was anything like it in the same price range -- Infinity's G20 looks like an interesting competitor.

It seem that for the same money the advantages of the G20 are:
    lower maintenance -- just change the oil and a few filters for the first 100,000 miles,
    more comfortable -- better stereo, sunroof, and about 2 extra inches of leg room in the back seat.
    better handling -- it just feels more comfortable on the road.

The advantages for the S40 seem to be
    Much more powerful engine -- 160 vs 145 HP; 170 vs 136 ft-lbs tourque.
    Safer -- but I can't find test results to confirm this. The 2001 S40 has a side curtain while the G20 has side air bags.

Does anyone else see it differently?
  • dianeb2dianeb2 Member Posts: 2
    It's been awhile since I've written, but I'm getting frustrated with the "Check Engine Light" coming on every few weeks. I know it's the emissions problem with the gas cap, but it's a pain to keep going to the dealer to get it fixed. Also, both of my headlights burned out at the same time a few weeks ago. I have 10,000 miles on my 10 month S40 and don't think the lights should burn out that fast. Anyone else have that problem?
  • cardigancardigan Member Posts: 1
    some one please help.
    im a single guy "realtor" new in the business and afraid of long term auto commitment because of wear and tear of my job. i currently own a bmw 318is(a true piece of crap workmanship wise) im looking to buy a car 25-28k. i like and had decided on the s40 as i have never drove the a4 but realizing now that the a4 is priced similar makes me think. the a4 is german and i love, its stylin. My only major option would be a sunroof. The s40 seems safer and its automatic which are pluses to me as i drive like a cab driver. so durabilty is important too. i'm not sure if the a4 can handle a rough driver(will i have to baby it like i did my bmw? in addition the s40s appearance from the side looks like a honda and this bothers me somewhat.

as you can see im confused and all of your notes have made my decision worse so mabey someone out there can help me sort it all out. basicaly say 26k whats the beter long term deal.

thanks

cardigan
    Regarding post #342:

dianeb2, your check engine light will come not only if your gas cap is loose but also if the tank is topped off when it is refueled or if it is fueled with the engine running. Have any of these things occurred to your car? Also, if it is just a fault from the gas vapor removal system (which is common to all OBDII compliant cars which why all the European makes are having this same complaint) it will reset itself after a certain number of miles and restarts (I think it is somewhere between 3 - 5) without encountering an additional fault. There should be no need to return to the dealership - the light will reset itself after a couple of days and will stay away unless one of the items I mentioned above occurs again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

-rdo
    [email protected]
    Regarding post #343:

cardigan, the A4 is a very nice car and if you are looking at loading up a S40 with options then the price does overlap with the A4. Neither car is perfect and both have their nits from time to time. If your ultimate concern is reliability you should stick to a Japanese car (if you really drive like a taxi driver I would highly recommend the Lexus IS300 which is like a street version of a rally car in my opinion - but I think it will cost you $30k or so at least). If your ultimate concern is safety stick with the Volvo (yes it did much better than all of its competition in European NCAP crash tests). If you want style go with the Audi. However, this is the last year for the current body style for the A4 so it will be dated quickly (for what it's worth I think Audi's A4 held its looks longer than anything out there).

It's tough. There are so many good choices these days and the price range you are looking at is VERY competitive. Also, the new Volvo S60 which is a stunner starts at $27k from what I've read and will be available next month I believe.

Good luck!

-rdo
    [email protected]
  • vestokesvestokes Member Posts: 3
    I just took my S40 in for its 30,000 mile maintenance.

So far I had similar experiences as have been reported on this board:

lost wheel inserts - replaced by dealer. no problems since.
    horrible radio sound - only for music stations. no problem for me since I listen to CDs or NPR talk radio
    headlight replacements - 4 bulbs. Had to pay for one.
    initially had engine light problem - found it occurred when I turned gas cap too far. Possibly trapping air in tank.
    no AC problem at all - I live in Northern California and travel over 100 miles a day. I have not experienced any problem with the AC.
    did not have to replace brake pads - rmember having to replace pads at 15K miles on my old Honda.

what I like - comfortable leather seats, hands-free phone, smooth ride, safety features (front/side air bags, and whiplash protection).

what I dislike - walnut trim and radio fading problem

would I purchase another Volvo - Absolutely....

Vicki
    I have also had two headlight burn out. Not at the same time though. I admit it is a drag when the headlights on your brand new car burn out. Nevertheless, the dealer replaced them for free and I understand all bulbs are covered for the warranty period. I was told that the second replacement bulb was a "newly designed" extended life bulb.

However, I will also say this about the headlights. Those damn things are bright. If you look closely, you can actually see bright thin light rays projecting fro the car onto the road at night. I've been trying to notice the intensity of the lights on other cars I've driven at night. I haven't found one as bright yet.
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    Had to make a quick decision for replacement car(wife and 7 year-old daughter were hit head-on 9/8 on FLA tnpk,walked away but 2000 GMC Jimmy totalled). Wife said she may could have avoided accident if in a car, but was concerned about SUV flipping in median when she attempted swerve. That's it, no more poor-handling, gas swilling, poor use of space SUV. After accident front and side airbags were mandatory, with steel side beams a real plus. Narrowed list down to the following:

Volvo S 40 (sorry, posts about S 70 were horrible, and I couldn't wait for S 60)
    Audi A 4
    Infinit I 30
    Lexus ES 300
    Acura 3.2 TL
    Lincoln LS

With deadline approaching to return rental and State Farm paying off GMC, narrowed down to Volvo and Lincoln. With two small kids and me on the road 20 days per month, back seat room was not a primary concern. It finally came down to dollars and cents, as wife liked certain aspects of both cars. Volvo in Miami offered me a loaded 2001 S 40 with everything, metallic paint, sunroof, etc, etc. for $1500 at delivery, 15k miles per year and $430 per month for 36 months. I was sold, but gave Lincoln another chance, as wife liked looks of LS and bigger back seat. I setteled for a 2000 LS with the V8, equipped with everything but moonroof. $1000 up front, 15k per year, $415 per month for 36 months. These payments include taxes, great incentives on 2000 LS if you can find one equipped like you want. Thanks for all the info, in 36 months I will definitely look at S 60.
  • cynreidcynreid Member Posts: 1
    For the person considering G20 v. Volvo, I was in the same spot and finally landed on the Infiniti...biggest reason was that I could get the 2000 G20 on end of year specials for about $5000 less...ALSO I have a J30 and have truly loved being an Infiniti owner...you are pampered and the service is phenomenal. Have had the G20 since Labor Day and truly love it!
  • r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    cardigan:

My friend got a S40. It's more like a Japanese car than an European car. I would rather buy a Japanese car if I want Japanese feel.

Go and test drive the A4 too. I test drove it and liked it better than the S40. You'll feel a little
    bit upper class with the A4. The S40 seems to be much cheaper.

I think the 2001 A4 is much better too. The +/- steering wheel buttons, 4 years warranty and free scheduled maintaince, and other unique STANDARD features (automatic stereo volume control, heated windshield washers, headlight washers, cassette & CD player, 6 airbags, etc)
  • akhil2akhil2 Member Posts: 1
    My Accord was totalled in a head-on collision.
    Took a real hard hit from a Buick.I walked out of it without a scratch.I need to get a new car for myself asap.I was attracted to the S40 and am inclined on getting a European car as I've been using Civics & Accords for the last 10 years,not a complaint though.Still feel the Accord saved me.
    Any advice folks.A4 or S40 or VW Jetta?
  • pharmerbropharmerbro Member Posts: 1
    if i walked away from a headon i would buy the same car.
  • seballrseballr Member Posts: 11
    I agree with you#352
    I went across the street from the Volvo dealer and test drove the Lexus IS300. It's worth the extra money...and it's MINE. :)
  • macsswmacssw Member Posts: 2
    Yep, the cd is optional. actually there are two, a single cd or a cd changer. personally i chose the single cd (good savings), hell you can only listen to one at a time anyway. If your dealer is honest and not trying to rip you off, then most of the options aren't too much more anyway.
    hope this helps..... "Ciao"
  • macsswmacssw Member Posts: 2
    I got a 2001 s40 with options for $23, no tax, period.
    Hey, i live over seas. and its U.S. specs. good deal heh :)
  • bmw1121bmw1121 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you guys pay $ 30,000 at for a S40 volvo my mom just got her 2000 S40 and she paid only 20,989 for it man did you guys get hit hard in the [non-permissible content removed]
  • shellzshellz Member Posts: 51
    Do you know what options your mother has on her car?
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    I would like to ask a question. Is the S40 a "true" Volvo? I keep hearing that Mitsu had something to do with the S40. Is that true? Is it based on design? Or actual parts usage? I think the S40 is a nice car - quite nimble and peppy - but I hesitate to recommend the car to Mom because of this Mitsu stuff. She loved our old 240, and has since had different cars, but she is interested in Volvo again. But, Volvo on a budget and in a smaller, tidier size.

Can anyone tell me, for sure, what the deal is with the car? Also - she does NOT want leather or a sunroof (crazy I know), but I thought the cloth was horrendous in the S40. Is it at least durable. She drives about 20k miles a year. Since that is the case, will this Volvo last as long as the old 240DL did? Or will the "turbo" thing cause trouble?

Thanks for any input.
    The S40 is built, I am told, on a Mitsu chassis. Actually, Ford owns Volvo, so I guess it's a Ford on a Mitsubishi chassis and built in Belgium or the Netherlands. :)
    I looked at the car. It's nice. However, I have heard of the air conditioning problems and a recall involving the wheels. I am hesitant about turbos too as they require expensive fixes when they go. So, I bought something else.
    they are nice cars, with plenty of power. I find them small inside; a tight interior that made me feel claustrophobic, especially between my left side and the door. Also, it's rear view is obstructed in both the S and V40 versions; very hard to see when merging into traffic or changing lanes, also when backing up; I found this even while using the side view mirrors. I think this is a problem with all the Volvo models, except the wagons. I would wait for the S60. In base form, without the value package, it will be a couple $K more than the stripped S/V40 you mention, but will offer interior room that will be, and feel, closer to the 240. Problem is, I don't think you'll find either of these cars in down-dirt base form; they usually come through with many/most of the options available.
  • tkp1tkp1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a Nissan Sentra for 10 years and would like to upgrade to an S40. How do these cars handle in the snow? Does anyone have a comment?
This discussion has been closed.