Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• amyesamyes Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2000 S40, 1 YEAR OLD THIS PAST NOV. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS SINCE I BROUGHT IT HOME. 1ST..THE STEREO FADING IN AND OUT, THEN THE CAR WOULD NOT ALWAYS START THE FIRST TIME AND SOMETIMES THE SECOND, IT HAS BEEN IN 5 TIMES FOR THAT AND ONE TIME A WHOLE MONTH THEN THE HEADLIGHTS WENT OUT THEY SAID THAT WAS NORMAL. I ALSO THINK IT GETS BAD GAS MILLAGE FOR A 4 CYL. I UFORTNATLEY I DON'T HAVE A VERY GOOD OPINION OF THIS CAR BECAUSE OUT OF THE 14 MONTHS AND 22,000MILES MY CAR HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP 8 TIMES. I HAVE HAD 4 HONDAS IN THE PAST AND I THOUGHT A VOLVO WOULD BE EVEN BETTER ESPECIALLY IN THE RELIABILITY BUT I WAS WRONG. I AM TRYING TO GET OUT OF IT NOW AND BACK TO A HONDA ACCORD. THEY ALSO DON' HOLD VALUE VERY WELL AS I AM NOW FINDING OUT.
  • ahhjettaahhjetta Member Posts: 5
    Was gonna get a loaded Jetta but got a base 2001 S40, paid 22,600. with 7100 miles (salesmanagers car) I love it, wife misses the 97 A4 Q 1.8T Auto (she misses the styling), this car doesn't have the looks but I enjoy driving it. I like the handling, power, cabin is quiet, better ride, more solid feel, cold starts in A.M. fine, fan isn't noisey, great 5spd auto, safety. Have not taken it in for service but here are the problems so far, pulls to the right, driver door popped open going over RR tracks!!, Brakes sometimes kinda grind, visibility out the back window, some of the interior parts and exterior seem flimsy, trunk space, I installed Spike Spiders for winter driving. Avg 25 mpg so far- Mtn driving. I would recommend one at this time.
  • missybmissyb Member Posts: 1
    I have brought my S40 in because of the headlights burning out very quickly-the dealer replaced them saying it was a fault in the headlight itself-i didn't pay anything but I have had other problems-the brakes, sunroof and check engine light-i wouldn't recommend buying this car I would get a Audi A4 or 325i
    Wish I had
  • jaysramjaysram Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I am planning to buy a second car. I test drove a 2001 Volvo S40 and liked it. I thought it was a bit smoother than the Accord which I have( no doubt that the Accord is an excellent car). I am a bit confused as to which car I should buy. I have 3 options, The Volvo S40/Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T/ 2001 Toyota RAV4.

Can anyone suggest me as to which of this three would be a best buy?

Thanks in advance
  • ahhjettaahhjetta Member Posts: 5
    I was faced with the Jetta or S40, If you must have AWD then the Rav, I put Spider Spikes on my S40 for the winter, the Jetta is a VW product, I had the same 1.8T engine in my 97 Audi the motor is good, but I didn't want another VW product, We drove a couple Jetta's and S40's--after that I easily made the call.
  • jaysramjaysram Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response from Jim. I had almost decided on S40, but had a second thought because of its price which is higher than the Jetta or the Rav4. I wanted to reconfirm on the reliability of the S40. I read the reviews about Rav4 and felt that the mileage was not as per the sticker. Hence having a second thought of even considering it. I would be left out to choose between the S40 or the Jetta.

Kindly help.

THanks
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    My wife and I bought a 2000 Volvo S40 last February. It now has 20,000 miles and has proved to be a fun well performing car.

We have had more than our share of troubles I would say.

All cherrfully fixed by our dealer in Ohio. But you have to take the time to bring the car in . . . . .

- The most severe was a power brake malfunction. Pretty odd for a brand that prides itself on safety. Powerbrakes would not work for the first 10 minutes of operation of the car.

- the radio / cd has at times refused to play or fades all the way out. It seems the volume knob stopped working. Took it to the dealer and they could not find the problem. :-(

- several problems solved by new / updated computer codes - check engine light, etc.

- air conditioner thermostat giving out

- door seal coming unglued from the metal

- cupholder in the rear not working right

Of course I am interested in any solutions owners and dealers have run across for these problems.

I also wonder if the 2001 models are any less troublesome? The S60 and V40 have sort of caught my eye as replacements for my 1992 Prelude. But if this experience is typical of Volvos I am not sure that the cars are worth the trouble.

Hondas may be bland -- but at least they are less troublesome for the same or less money.
  • jchen5jchen5 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a S40 today and is thinking about buying it. However, I've been reading some of the comments concerning problems with the 2000 S40. The few that stands out includes: headlights burning out consistently, bad gas mileage for a 4-cyl, engine light comes on, and bad service from the dealership.

I've always owned a Japanese car and is looking for something a little more solid and safer. That's why I was looking for a Volvo. In fact, I'm still debating either the S40 or a 2dr Accord V6.

Does anybody have any suggestions or comments on what I should do?
  • ponyracer1ponyracer1 Member Posts: 2
    I, too, have had issues with the low beam head lamps burning out consistently on my 2000 S40. There is an upgraded' bulb the dealer has on-hand issued by Volvo that should correct the problem. I have had the lamps on my S40 changed at least 4 times, all within a 9 month period. If the head lamps burning out were my only problem I would be happy. The car is on its way to another dealer, as a trade-in, toward a truck this time. There is a myriad of problems I have had from the head lamps, to the drivers seat coming loose, to the front suspension loosening up while driving, to the check engine light, to the radio..... I have given up on the car- period! Too bad, my wife's 2000 S70 is a great car. No problems at all with almost 25K on the odometer. If only Volvo could learn from there previous models the S40 may not have been a bad vehicle.
  • s40_owners40_owner Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to present the opinion of a more satisfied customer.

I bought a 2000 s40 in 12/00: 9K miles (had been dealer loaner) w leather/sunroof pkg for $20.6K. Perhaps could have paid $20K if I was a hard core negotiator. But, I was happy to get the interest rate benefits - 8% from dealer, less than my bank would give on a used - of a new car and to avoid some of the usual new care charges - no destination, advertising, registration, etc.

I've only added about 1K miles but have not yet experienced any of the problems reported above.

First impressions: pleased -- though for mostly superficial reasons.
    1) I like the styling if only because it's not a Jetta. LA is overrun with the Volkswagons, and they're attractive, but I enjoy the meager amount of individuality the s40 provides.
    2) The driving experience is pretty good. I am a commuter rather than a sophisticated driver, but it has pep (it's easy to pass), handles on the sporty side of average, has excellent brakes, a good climate control system and the seats are comfy. Negatives here include a mediocre radio, poor blind spot visibility and limited rear seat leg room (but I'm short, so that'll help riders).
    3) Safety is a priority for me. Without having to do extensive homework, the Volvo name suggests that reasonable care has been exercised in designing the car. It's small, but has front and side air bags (would have liked the head bags issued in '01) and I'm placing faith in Volvo that the cage and other structural elements are decent.
    4) The 4yr/48K mile warrantee is better than VW, Accord and some other competitors.

All in all, I prefer the image to the Accords and VW's I was also considering. I recognize that it might be hard to justify its higher price, but those cars aren't cheap either when you add leather (which I love) and a sunroof (which I could care less about).

In terms of comparing it to low end Audi's and BMW's, I think its hard a strech to put it in the same class as those cars. On the other hand, it's cheaper and safety is probably equal.
  • whodeywhodey Member Posts: 19
    Long story made short... was torn between a 2000 S40 and a 2000 CR-V. I went for practical and bought the CR-V. I don't regret the purchase, but I am always thinking about trading in my wife's car, giving her the CR-V and buying an S40 or S60 for myself.

Here's my question, I read in the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the 2003 version of the S40 will share a platform with the Ford Focus. Has anyone else heard this nonsense? In my opinion, that would be a disaster for the S40.
  • rjsenrjsen Member Posts: 30
    The Focus is a Euro-bred small sedan. It's handling has been widely praised. Why would the S40 sharing its platform be a bad thing? You are aware that the S40 currently shares its platform with some Mitsubishi, right? Anyway, the platforms are pretty similar in terms of their suspension, drivetrain, handling, etc., so I doubt you'd even have noticed if you hadn't heard something.

IMO, using the Focus and Mondeo platforms on lower-end Volvos and Jags is a great idea. These platforms have a great reputation, so it's a good way for Ford to save money without there being any detriment to the consumer. Just because they're using the base platform of a cheaper Ford doesn't mean that the luxury features normally found on these cars will disappear, and they may in fact improve since less of the cost of the car will go toward recovering platform development costs.
  • whodeywhodey Member Posts: 19
    rjsen-
    You've got some valid points but I just don't trust Ford. I've always felt that if you want to lease a car it's ok to go domestic. If you want to buy a car and keep it for an extended period you are much better served to go Japanese. Being built on the same platform won't stop me from test driving the S40 again.
  • stevem327stevem327 Member Posts: 98
    Hello Volvo Owners:

I'm going to be leasing a new car later this year after my current lease expires, and I'm debating between an S40 and a larger car with fewer safety features, such as a Crown Victoria. I've always wanted to buy a Volvo because of their devotion to safety, but until the S40 came to the U.S., I haven't been able to afford one.

My main concern with the S40, at least in terms of safety, is the overall size of the car. It weighs only 2,800 pounds compared to a Crown Vic which weighs 4,000 pounds. The CV only has dual front airbags for safety (no side airbags, no head airbags, no WHIPS system) and ABS is an option. What seems to make the CV so safe is its enormous size. I wonder in a head-on collision between a CV and an S40, which driver would be more severely injured?

Other than the size issue, I like the S40 much better. It has FWD (better in the snow), much better gas mileage, better handling, easier to park and maneuver, more comfortable seats, more attractive styling. It's just that most safety experts say that bigger is always better. If a 4,000 pound object collides with a 2,800 pound object, the 4,000 pound object will likely come away with less damage...so they say anyway.

I know that the S40 got very good ratings from the government agencies that test car safety in Europe, but does anyone know when or if NHTSA (here in the U.S.) is going to crash test an S40?

Like I said, everything except the overall size of the S40 is telling me to buy it over the Crown Vic. Thanks a lot for any advice you guys might have.
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    there are many other cars out there that do well in crash tests and have more features than the crown vic for about the same money as the Volvo....these include the VW Passat, Toyota Avalon XL (check the NHTSA site on this one...did very well), Subaru Legacy/Outback, which have the added feature of 4 wheel drive and did well in crash tests, Honda Accord EX V6 (a bargain, and now has standard side airbags and VSC), Infiniti G20 (less money, about the same length as the S40, many more features), Nissan Maxima. These are all good cars, reliable, and safe. My personal opinion about the Crown Vic up against the S40 is that the CV will win every time. It is the only car still that is NOT unitbody construction (steel I-Beam construction), weighs over 4000 pounds with payload, and is well over 200 inches in length. The S40 is safe against similar cars in Europe, but is less than 3000 pounds, less than 180 inches long, less width than a bigger car...your body is right up against the side of the door...., etc. BUT, if it was only Crown Vics you were up against, you might do OK....It's those damn SUVs that are the real problem. They'll run right over you.
    Thanks for your input, Joel. I'm also planning to check out several other cars in addition to the Crown Vic and S40 (Chevy Impala, Accord V6, Ford Taurus, Subaru Outback...)

I really like the styling of the S40 over the Crown Vic, but my biggest concern these days is safety, so I may end up choosing a bigger car than the S40.

I agree about those SUV's though. Those things should be classified as "light trucks" and anyone who buys one should have to go through some sort of advanced training so that they know how to handle them in all driving conditions. I see way too many SUV's out there being driven as though they were Porsche 911's or something...total morons if you ask me.

Thanks again for your input...cheers.
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    I forgot to mention that we took a trip to Disney (Florida) the week before Christmas 2001, and rented a brand new (only had a few hundred miles on it) Mercury Grand Marquis. It had cloth interior, bench seat, but most of the other options available, including adjustable pedals and Skid Control. We drove 10 hours each way, and never once did I feel uncomfortable, or that the car was out of control (floaty, weak brakes). There were so many on the road to Florida that we traveled "underneath the radar" so to speak, and cruised between 70-80. Mileage was 25mpg. I was very pleased with the Grand Marquis, more than I thought I could be. I don't think I'd want to own one (too young still, and would be a tight squeeze in the garage), but would not hesitate to rent one again.
    Thanks, I'm actually planning to rent a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic in a month or two for an entire weekend to see what I think about the handling. They've apparently made a lot of handling improvements in both of those cars beginning with the 98 model year. And there's a handling and performance package that's available for about $900 as an option on either car (stiffer shocks, stiffer stabilizer bar, different tires, different rear axle ratio).

I really like the looks of the S40 over the CV or GM (both interior and exterior), and I'm only 38, so I definitely don't fall into the CV/GM demographic group. But the overall size of the CV makes me think it would do better in a serious crash over the S40.

Anyway, this is a Volvo forum and not a CV/GM forum, so I better shut up before I wear out my welcome here! ;)
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    You might be the first person in the history of the world to cross-shop these two vehicles...:-)
    I'd like to second the comments about renting a Grand Marquis. I rented a one a while back, and for what I used it for (highway cruising) it was the most comfortable car I'd driven up to that point. It did have leather...I'm not sure if it had the handling package, but it did have traction control. I wouldn't call it a sports sedan by any means, but its size belies its handling prowess. I wouldn't buy one, either-- I'm 26-- but I've never rented a nicer car.

Now, back on topic: I like the S40 a lot, but I really can't justify spending the same money as a Passat for such a small, cramped car. I'd look at a Passat, too; it's VERY safe, particularly the 2001.5 models, which now have side curtain airbags, but bigger than the S40, but not so bulky as the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis.
    Thanks for the input. A friend of mine at work who owns an Audi and a BMW also suggested the Passat, so I think I'll have to add that car to my list. He's also trying to steer me towards the Audi A4, but we'll see. The A4 has lots of safety features and great performance, but it's no larger than an S40 (and costs about $1,000 more).

I was wondering why nobody picked up on my cross-shopping a Crown Vic and an S40 until now. I thought I was going to get some serious laughs, considering there are some major differences between the two cars and who their target market is.

I guess the bottom line for me is safety and comfort. I live in the Wash, DC metro area, and our traffic is ranked second worst in the country (LA is #1). We also have way too many aggressive and/or stupid drivers around here, so the probability of a serious accident is somewhat high (at least in my opinion).

Perhaps another option would be to look at a used S60 or S80?

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'm heading over to the Passat section now...see ya.
  • ianrosdaleianrosdale Member Posts: 5
    Check out this really nice S40! I think that it could be the nicest looking one that I have seen in quite some time. If you have any questions about the car, you can post on the Swedespeed board and ask the owner. What do you all think?

Nice Looking Volvo S40

Swedespeed

• wake27wake27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 S40 with 4500 miles on it. Here is my Problem: When accelerating at around 20-30 mph the Transmissions has Slammed in to gear about 3-4 times shuddering the whole vehicle. Also at about the same speed the engine revved very high like it was in neutral. Like it missed a gear. I took it in and they said that there were no "Codes" and couldn't duplicate the problem. The very next day it "slammed" in to gear again. Has anyone had this kind of experience with the S40? Other this problem I LOVE this car. Very good acceleration, very comfortable (and I'm 6'8"), very cool looking and very safe. But this transmission problem bugs me. any comments?
  • cocokurecocokure Member Posts: 3
    I thought that I could give some insight to the trasmission problem mentioned earlier. Although I do not own a S40 (I was thinking about buying one), I had the same problem with my Galant. The problem was due to a leak of trasmission fluid. It seems that the hose clamps were not installed tightly enough, and I was losing fluid rapidly. Hope this helps.
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    Just because you had a lemon doesn't mean that every s40 is bad, it certainly says nothing about volvo, I grew up with my parents cars as on/off volvos, my brothers first car was a volvo, and my parents currently have one volvo, all of which had no problems, a lemon is a lemon but that doesn't make the company any worse.
  • tomsoltistomsoltis Member Posts: 22
    In regards to the headlights. They are covered by the warranty and Volvo has developed a longer lasting bulb. I've needed for 2 bulbs to be switched. After the second one went, the dealer replaced both w/the upgraded model.

Rear brakes needed at 20M miles. It surprised me that rears were needed before front. Dealer said this is typical performance that they are seeing. Front brakes needed at 30M miles.

Other than that, minor program updates that caused the warning lights to go on for no reason have been required. No other significant problems have been experienced. I'm counting on this car lasting 300M miles. I'll keep in touch!
  • ffxvwffxvw Member Posts: 93
    Anyone have any links to pictures of this car in the Titanium Grey?

Jason
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Try http://www.swedespeed.com at the bottom of the main page.
  • earlamearlam Member Posts: 6
    My dealer told me that the rear brakes wore out at 13K miles, I had them replaced. He replaced the front pads at no charge at the same time, they rattled a lot, this has now stopped. I have not have to replace the headlights yet.
  • volvolemonvolvolemon Member Posts: 3
    I have just received a lemon law buyback of my 2000 S40 after 3 brake failures in the first 18,000 miles. All these problems seemed to involve a vacuum assist pump which caused the brakes to fail. At one point the dealer provided me with a loaner and kept the car for THREE WEEKS before assuring me the brakes were finally safe. 10 days later they failed COMPLETELY while I was on the freeway. I have also experienced several headlamp burnouts, a "check engine" light that comes on periodically no matter HOW tight you turn the gas cap, a faulty gas gauge, and a variety of scraping, popping, and clicking noises that could never be duplicated at the dealer but refused to go away. This is the most expensive car I have ever bought and BY FAR THE WORST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED. To top it off, after my last brake failure I waited FOUR HOURS for the Volvo roadside assistance after being guaranteed a 45 minute response time when I bought the car!

I have since purchased a Volkswagen Jetta GLS with a 150hp 1.8L turbocharged four (the Audi A4 powerplant) and can't BELIEVE how much nicer this car is for $7,500 less !!!! Quieter, more responsive, less turbo lag, and more standard features. I would DEFINITELY recommend anyone considering the S40 drive the Jetta, the Passat, and the Audi A4. ALL three of these cars are superior to the S40 and you can spend anywhere from $8,000 less (the Jetta) to about $2,000 more (loaded A4). Face it, everybody's got the same safety features as Volvo these days and the other cars outclass them in all other areas. Hope that others can learn from my costly mistake.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    it is hard to justify a loaded S40 for $29k when you can get a 260hp acura cl-s for that price if you skip the navigation system option.

i like the S40 too - but it really was not any better than my loaded (leather, auto, roof) Jetta GLS VR6. And the Jetta was about $23k, MSRP. More power, almost the same safety, and no premium fuel needed!!

That said, the S40 is nice. I do think that the V40 actually looks sportier from behind though. Does anyone else agree that the V40 looks better than the S40?
  • cmarinellicmarinelli Member Posts: 19
    I'm about to take our 2000 S40 in for it's 15000 mile service, and I'm terrified at what it's going to cost. The 7500 mile service was about $200, and the 15K service has more checks and adjustments. Does anyone know the policy on periodic service, and how it relates to Warranty Claims? Also, are there any Volvo "Certified" repair stations (in the Long Island, NY area)?

I feel like they're making up on the sale with exorbitant repair costs.

Chris
  • drew37drew37 Member Posts: 62
    I was thinking about purchasing a S40, but based on comments here I will rethink that. Also, it just occurred to me that I hardly ever see a S40 on the road here in western Michigan. Do they sell many of these cars ?
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 6
    My 2000 s-40 has 17,000 miles. It needs rear brakes. I never heard of rear brakes wearing out before the front. Our driving habits normally give us at least 45 /50,000 miles before replacing the front brakes. Dealer days it is the new softer materials in the pads, but that doesn't explain the rear going first. This sounds like a system problem.
    Any comments?
    Peddler
  • triciantrician Member Posts: 1
    Well it is done. I bought an S40 (sport edition) for myself and one for my mother. $26,900 each which I figured was a decent price. Then, to my horror, I read about the break pad replacement, the S40 lemon, etc., etc. and now I have a knot in my stomach.... the pas sat is looking pretty good now (a day late). Will those of you with positive stories re your ownership of the S40 please share before I bar up my breakfast??

The BMW 3 series still too costly (the base model is stripped of most luxury items). Wish me well...
  • david1812david1812 Member Posts: 17
    Well I've done it too. Got the S40 over the weekend. I read the postings about possible brake problems but didn't believe that it was common. I thought the brake feel is better than that of a VW. And I find it difficult to believe that such a safety conscious company like Volvo will screw up on brakes. Considered the Passat first but my wife didn't like the new front end. Very happy with our S40. Excellent gas mileage and the price was about $500 over invoice.
  • fmuragfmurag Member Posts: 6
    I have been considering buying an S40 for the last 6 months or so... that's about how long my 1999 VW Jetta GLS has been in the shop. After numerous problems, the engine finally went at 30K miles. Now I'm waiting for VW to settle in a lemon-law case (my attorney said VW is one of the most stubborn manufacturers to deal with, probably because they have so many lemon-law suits pending). The VW Jetta is an extremely high-risk purchase...just read most auto reviews.

It's funny, I am thinking of going the opposite way as some of the people who have posted here... buying an S40 to escape an awful VW experience. I live in PA, and in this part of the country I am seeing more and more S40s on the road. In the past few months I have stopped to ask about 5 random S40 owners about their experiences with the car (at gas stations and such). The response I have gotten has been overwhelmingly positive. Until reading some of these posts, I was almost sure I had decided on the S40...now I guess I have to give it more thought. It still seems like a great car, though.
    Well, I traded my Jetta for the S40. Although I didn't have too much problem with my Jetta. My experience with the S40 has been very positive so far. I also think Volvo service is better than that of VW.
  • runner26runner26 Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing an annoying rattle coming from the back right side of my month-old 2001 S40. I've taken it in twice and it still isn't fixed. The first time, they said they tightened up a few things and this time they said they tightened up the suspension. Well, after driving it for about 10 minutes, the rattle came back full force. I've got another appointment, but I'd like to see if anyone else has experienced this and managed to get it fixed... if so, what was the problem?
  • spattsonspattson Member Posts: 1
    i've heard some bad things about the S40: brakes, a/c problem and check engine light but i'm guessing Volvo is on top of these problems and may even have some worked out on the 2001 models..

anyway, here is the deal i received (i'm financing)... sticker on the car is $27,002.. buying for $22,351... $23,922 with tax, tags, etc... i think that is a great deal... i didn't want alot of options... silver car (metallic paint), black leather (looks nicer than the cloth), cold weather package (traction control) and a power driver's seat (didn't need it)...

NOW FOR THE QUESTION: my car doesn't have a CD but it is pre-wired to the trunk... does anyone know what kind of CD Changer i can buy aftermarket?? i've heard it is ALPINE and that i'll need an adapter...

any input??
  • billcasabillcasa Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2001 S40 about a month ago. When it was delivered, I noticed that it was missing the retractable belt and cargo netting in the trunk which is supposed to be standard equipment. When I asked the dealer, they said that Volvo must have stopped building them in and that they reserved the right to make changes like that. I doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it annoys me that they can just remove a piece of standard equipment like that. Has anyone else bought an S40 and had those pieces missing?
  • runner26runner26 Member Posts: 2
    Me too. I just bought a s40 a month ago as well...now that I think about it, no net or belt. I have to take it in tomorrow and will ask as well.
  • beevbeev Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying a 2001 S40, but after reading about the problems with the 2000 model, I'm somewhat hesitant. Have the mechanical problems and glitches been resolved on the 2001 models? What problems are S40 owners experiencing with the 2001 S40? I am interested in any feedback and advice you may have for a prospective buyer.

Thanks in advance.
  • amyesamyes Member Posts: 2
    I AM IN MY SECOND S-40 DUE TO MY 2000 BEING A LEMON FROM 7000MILES ON. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON, STEREO FADING, HEADLIGHTS BURNING OUT SEVERAL TIMES AND THE BIG PROBLEM WHICH CAUSED THE BUY BACK... THE CAR WOULD NOT START THE FIRST TIME. IF YOU HEAR FROM THE SERVICE CENTER THAT SOMETIMES HAPPENS, WELL NO IT SHOULD NOT BUT IT HAPPENED SO MUCH ON MINE THAT I HAD IT IN 8 TIMES IN A TOTAL OF 10 MONTHS AND ONE OF THOSE TIMES THEY HAD IT 29 DAYS. AFTER MANY CALLS TO VOLVO CARS IN ROCKLILEGH NJ AND LETTERS AND FINALLY AN EMAIL TO THE MAIN VOLVO PEOPLE I THINK IN SWEEDEN ABOUT THE DEALERSHIP AND THE DISSAPOINTMENT IN THE CAR ITSELF I FINALLY OUT OF THE BLUE GOT RESPONCE FROM THE GM OF THE PLACE WHERE I GOT THE CAR. THAT LED TO THE BUY BACK OF THE 2000 AND A VERY GOOD DEAL ON A 2001, WHICH I WAS NOT TOTALLY COMFORTABLE WITH BUT BEING IN THE HOLE ON THAT CAR AND ALMOST 30000 MILES I TOOK THE DEAL. I AM NOW IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO GET RID OF THIS ONE BECAUSE IT IS DOING THE NO FIRST START THING AGAIN, AND I DON'T HAVE THE TIME FOR THIS SO GETTING RID OF IT IS MY ONLY OPTION. ALL I CAN TELL ANYONE LOOKING AT THESE CARS IS YOU CAN EXPECT TO HAVE PROBLEMS AND IF I HAD IT TO DO OVER I WOULD HAVE KEPT MY 98 ACCORD.
  • langdon1langdon1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase my first car ever and have been looking at both the S40 and the Audi A4. I wasn't too impressed with the S40's appearance but then the dealer showed me the special edition. Both the interior and exterior seem like an entirely different car. The titanium gray color is beautiful.

Does anybody out there own the special edition? Besides the interior/exterior appearance, what are the differences? The sticker was a little over 28K, does anybody know the true market value? Thanks
  • txrx71txrx71 Member Posts: 6
    I have had my 2001 S-40 for 6 months and around 7k miles. This car has performed flawlessly. Its hard to reconcile my experience with my Volvo and the alleged lemons which populate this message board. The acceleration of the S-40 destroys any comparable Honda or Toyota. The ride and refinement is on par with a car which cost 10k more (mine was 23k). Finally, it has panache that a Camry, Accord, Audi(Volkswagen) doesn't have. I have had no problems with this car. With its combination of features I cannot think of a better value for the money I spent.
  • theschnitztheschnitz Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know how to turn off the servie light on a 2000 S40?
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    Boy, after reading these posts and the fact that Volvo never seems to rank higher than the industrial avg. in JD power reliability index, I don't see if how I'd ever go for a Volvo... Plus, now that Detroit's in charge (Ford), the future doesn't look too great for Volvo in terms of reliability. As of now, the upcoming Audi A4 (even if Audi will break down somewhat compared to the Japanese brands, at least it has the best quality interior on this side of the galaxy), the Nissan duo of Altima and Maxima, and even the Camry looks like viable alternatives in this price range.
  • jnwflajnwfla Member Posts: 3
    I have had my S40 for about a month now and I love it. I have had Audis and an Acura in the past and I think this car is better. It drives like a dream and has great pick-up. The seats feel great. I wish they had included an ash tray but I guess Volvo considers health a part of safety.
    I've had my S40 for a few months now and I am very happy with the car. Love the gas mileage, ride, power, etc.. My only problem, which may be minor is that I hear some popping or rattling sound from the sunroof area. I first thought it was from the dash but noticed that the noise goes away when I open the sunroof or press against the glass while closed. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is this an easy fix? I don't really want to take it in if it's not easily fixed since it's only a minor noise. I don't really hear it with the radio on, which is most of the time. Any advise would be appreciated.
  • lad10derlad10der Member Posts: 9
    1. Turn the key to the 1st position.
    2. Hold the trip button down.
    3. Then turn the key to the third position.
    4. Light will begin to flash and about the third time, release the trip button.
    5. Start the car to make sure the light is off.

This info would found on www.volvospy.com.
This discussion has been closed.