Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    volvomax Jan 9, 2004 2:46pm
    "The Mazda won't offer WHIPS.."

You meant the whiplash-protection front seats? It does. The Mazda3 has minimum 42% parts sharing w/ the new S40/V50, just likely to be much more reliable & thrifty.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I looked on Edmunds and Mazda's own site, no where is whips, or anything even like it mentioned.
    Edmunds says that the Side airbags and curtain airbags are optional and Traction and Stability control are not offered.
    http://groups.msn.com/BrunoLuong/safety.msnw
    "Height- and shapeoptimised headrests help minimize whiplash in a rear impact, while seatbacks are designed to permit rearward movement of the occupant’s torso."

Sounds like it can crunch the rear passengers' knees, but it should absorb the front passenger's body-momentum energy better than just moving the headrest toward the neck as seen in the Saab. Which one does the S40/V50 use?

"Traction and Stability control are not offered" in the cheap North America at least this year. Even the entire Focus II is cancelled forever here!
  • theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    I totally love the new S40/V40, and the MZ3. But I just bought a new Toyota. Besides kicking myself, what else can I do!!!!!????
  • safety1st1safety1st1 Member Posts: 1
    I need to buy a car for my teenager and drove a 2003 turbo w/ 20,000 miles. Good looking car & i thought excellent handling. Safety is my 1st consideration, but what about reliability & repairs? Have read lots of postings. Is pulling to the left still a problem? Headlamps burning out? And what about used car pricing? They are asking $21,000 which sounds high to me but seems to be the consistent price for leather, CD, nonsensical moon roof, etc. I am buying, not leasing. what is a reasonable price for LA? Appreciate any thoughts.
  • star23star23 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking to buy a new vehicle in the $20K - $30K price range. I am more specifically looking at the Volvo S40 and the Jetta GLS Turbo. The cars seem so similar in so many aspects that I am having difficulty determining which would be the better buy. The Volvo dealership in my area didn't answer any of my questions, either, when I went in, so I feel that I have to do all the research on my own. Resale value of the cars seems similar, with the VW being a little higher, and I know that they are coming out with a new S40 in the spring. Any word on when exactly it will be out and the price range? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
  • twilliatwillia Member Posts: 29
    According to the Volvo Cars web site, the MSRP for the new 2004.5 S40 2.4i will be $24,190 and $26,990 for the S40 T5. The current S40 starts at $24,700 for the base model and $28,845 for the LSE model. With the model changeover, you might be able to get a pretty good deal on the existing S40, but IMHO, the 2004.5 S40 is 100 times better. Not sure of the exact availability date, but I would suspect the March timeframe.

The Volvo Cars web site has a lot of info on the new 2004.5 S40 -> www.volvocars.com

I believe the Volkswagen Jetta is also due for a model changeover when either the 2005 or 2006 models come out.

My sister had a Jetta and had nothing but problems with it. That may not be a common occurrence, but it has soured me on the Volkswagen product line. They make great looking cars, but I have not heard great things about their reliability.

The new S40 is going to be exactly that - new. It is yet to be seen what problems if any it will have.

I'm looking pretty much in the same price range and have the new S40 on my list along with the Acura TSX and Audi A4 1.8T.

Tony
    "I am more specifically looking at the Volvo S40 and the Jetta GLS Turbo. The cars seem so similar in so many aspects that I am having difficulty determining which would be the better buy."

Similar? Wait till the new generation, then the almost-identical control-blade rear suspensions done by the Focus engineers will make them almost like brothers.

Too bad only the "Jetta hatch" (Golf V) is out now, won't be coming to North America till next year when the Jetta V is ready.

I think the new Volvo w/ std 5-cyl is more expensive than the 4-cyl turbo VW, maybe about the same as the VR6 Jetta. Maybe VW is also planning to bring the VR5 engine over here.

Expect worse steering communication from VW's pure-electric than Volvo's "Focus II type" electro-hydraulic assist.

In the mean time, the Mazda version of the new S40 -- the 3 -- is having more road noise than the new Golf V. Expect both the VW & Volvo to ride smoother & quieter than the more reliable & less costly Mazda. So it'd be interesting to find out which, Golf/Jetta V or S40/V50, will be quieter or comfier riding.
  • vorleansvorleans Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to reset the check engine light? I have reset the service light before, but have not found any references to the check engine light reset procedure.

I took my car into the dealership and was told that there was nothing wrong with the car, but a faulty computer that was giving me false positives.

Instead of plunking down the $ for a new computer, I'd like to turn the check engine light off. Any ideas? All advise is welcome.

Thanks.
    Dealers will have demo cars the end of Feb. Meanwhile, Volvo is partnering w/ Virgin Megastores on a ride and drive. There is an event scheduled for the La area. Check the Volvo website for details.
  • blondie11blondie11 Member Posts: 2
    My Honda Accord was stolen last week. I need to buy a car. I am considering the Volve S40 but don't know anything about the reliability. I love the car. By the way I found one for 18,999. A 2003 loaded with leather and all the toys with 19000 miles. I should be able to get it for around 17500. Any advise?
    & test drive the car to see if you like the way it rides over bumps.

I personally would avoid the present Mitsubishi Carisma-derived S40 all together. An '02 base BMW 325i sedan would be my favorite used European car. & I'd also avoid the ones made in S Africa.

What year is your Accord? The '98 & newer ones are all pretty decent w/ lots of room on the 4-door.

By the way, if you want the reliability good enough to compete w/ the Accord, why not getting the new Mazda3 w/ black leather & even navigation? It's the noisier cheaper version of the new excellent-steering/handling S40 w/ the same Euro-plaform but everything else Japanese such as engine & factory.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brunoluong/detail?.dir=/Album+02- - - - - - - &.dnm=starlightgreen_front.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brunoluong/detail?.dir=/Album+02- &.dnm=beige_interior.jpg

http://www.mazda3.de/de/upclose/gallery_popup.asp?documentid=2075- - - - &image=small
    None of the US S40's are made in S Africa.
    The 2003 and 2004 models are fine cars.
    Very little the do w/ the Carisma, only about 20% of the parts are interchangeable.
  • kfm123kfm123 Member Posts: 1
    I have an S40 and all I will say is that it may be the absolute worst car Ive ever owned. Reliability is aweful, service is terrible, something new breaks basically every week. Stay away.
  • pyro930pyro930 Member Posts: 1
    I have a S40 1.9t, I know it has it has a turbocharger, but cannot find the specs for it in the manual. Also, I'm looking for a website that sells volvo (or volvo-certified) turbochargers. I have searched for them, but cannot find anything except for sites that sell the replacement parts for the S40 turbo, but even those dont seem to have the turbocharger for some reason. Can anyone help me out?
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    pryro930, this is easy. Call your Volvo dealer, get the Volvo PN for your exact turbo and if possible ask the parts guy who made it (e.g., air research, garrett, etc.). With the OEM part number in hand call your local turbo/fuel injection house and ask them to change this Volvo number over to the turbo mfg's PN. Then ask them for Price and availability of this turbo from the mfg who actually made it.

No, Virginia, Volvo does not make turbos.
    Mitsubishi make the impeller units.
    Except for the S60 R, which is a KKK unit.
  • blondie11blondie11 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyvody know if there will be a big body style change in the new year. I am very impressed with the S40. My stolen Honda was recovered and I think I want to sell it and get a Volvo. Should I wait for the 05's? Thanks for the info.
    completely different car than the 2004 S40.
    However, the 2004 will be cheaper to buy due to incentives.
    2004 S40 turbo @ $23,000
    2004.5 S40 2.4i @$27,000
    2004.5 S40 T5 @ $32,000
    Only change from the 2004.5 is the availability of AWD and manual gearboxes.
    Also, the Sport styling kit will be available.
    Look for the 2005's in August.
  • kschillingkschilling Member Posts: 1
    I have been offered by precertified 2000 S40 with 42K miles. It has leather, sunroof and heated seats. They are asking $13K. Is this a fair price or am I better off with at least a 2001.

Thanks
    If you're only comfortable driving a Volvo, then you'll be better off avoiding this Dutch-built S40 & get an used S60 instead 'cause at least the S60 beats all German imports in reliability.
  • p3dab5p3dab5 Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody have any idea how the AWD system on the S40 will compare with other AWDs on the market, say Subaru's for instance? I have been very impressed with Subaru in winter conditions in the past so I'm wondering how the Volvo will stack up. Thanks!
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,242
    Any comments on the new S40? Starts off as a video game and at the end the real thing. A very good commercial...but also very unVolvo. A shame they didn't do this for the C70.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i was at the dealer near my house yesterday. didn't test drive any of the new S40's but sat in three of them. one of the most attractive cars out there, period. nice tidy size, gorgeous exterior, very unique interior. that center flowing console comes in that fake looking silver, or a really nice dark dark dark (almost black) wood. i liked the wood a lot! that design is the best thing in an affordable car since VW's introduced the blue lights!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Saw the new S40 at the auto show in Atlanta this past weekend and did not like the interior a bit. Didn't like the presentation of the center dash nor the way the passenger side dash dramatically slants inward. Otherwise I loved the outside.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just curious, with or without navi? The pictures make the dash and center console look very different depending on that.
    i didn't see a single model with NAVI.

anon - yes, the glove box does have a SEVERE design, but i would get used to that after a days worth of driving. did you see the center console in the black wood, as opposed to the silver? in the black wood, it almost looks like one of those neat Bang and Olufson units, to me anyway...looked like it was "quality"...

i see the S40 stealing sales from the S60, big time.
    The model I saw was a non-navi model with the silver trim. Not sure if different trim would make me like it more. I favor more traditional "waterfall" interior designs.
  • jason1jason1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new '04 S40 at what I believe is a good price. It is a 1.8T with Premium Package and Galactica Wheels. MSRP was $28,850. Got it for $21,800 with 3.45% APR. I know it was so low because the 2005's are on the lot now but seemed like a good deal. Any thoughts?
  • new4doornew4door Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at the base 2.4i. Do y'all think it's worth the 3k more than the Accord EX (4 cyl)? I'll rarely transport more than 2 ppl, and I'll be doing a lot of highway driving.
    & get the $24900 auto or $23700 stick new S40 w/ 2.4 liters of normally aspirated instant power & knock $1000 or so off the MSRP. I personally feel that lacking moonroof & leather actually adds comfort.
    is pretty much the lowest price Honda w/ curtain air bags you can find in the lot. XM radio & full-range-adjustment 8-way pwr driver seat w/ lumbar are also included.

Around here in S. California. People are knocking off $3000 off the MSRP of this Accord. But I'd prefer the new S40 auto w/o metallic paint at the same MSRP & wait for discounts available even if it's not $3000.

The German-car-based new S40 is less boring to drive, & the manual driver seat is already fully adjustable. The door armrest is so high you can brace your elbow on it & hold both the 9'o'clock position of the steering wheel rim/spoke while operating the turn signal & cruise control all the the same time! & it's a compact w/ a much smaller turning circle.

My folks just got the Accord EX leather, & I find the dashboard high enough so you can't judge the length of your front end. The back seat is super roomy.
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    "My folks just got the Accord EX leather, & I find the dashboard high enough so you can't judge the length of your front end. The back seat is super roomy."

How is the height of the dashboard in the S40 ?
    Thanks,
    Webby
    Unlike the 3-series, A4 & Passat, the S40's steering wheel can be tilted as high as you want, so the driver seat can also be raised as high as you want w/o having the instrumentation blocked by the steering-wheel rim &, thus, allows you to see over the hood very easily.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    the tsx is more of a competitor to the volvo s40 than the accord.

i guess it depends on your priorities if the new s40 is worth more than $3k than an accord i4.

i was impressed with the new s40's interior, especially the leather seats. huge improvement over the car it replaces. and i'm sure i'll love the performance of the t5. but the quality of the exterior trim is disappointing. it shouts to me, "i'm owned by Ford".
    is even more cramped than the TSX, both the leg & especially the headroom. The T-5 premium's raise-able power front passenger seat alleviates some of the rear leg-room tightness on the right side.
    I sat in both cars, didn't find much difference between the TSX and the S40. Also, according to the stats the rear seats in both cars are virtually identical.
    the S40 is just like the Mazda3 sedan -- too little.

the TSX is just like the Mazda3 hatch -- too much.
    For what it's worth I have a 2004 Accord EX-L with 14,500 miles on it and the car has been flawless (knock on wood). There is enough room for my 6'6 husband to have the passenger seat all the way back and slightly reclined even though we have a huge rear-facing car seat behind the passenger seat. No mechanical problems (again knock on wood), 30+ MPG, and I love the XM radio.

The S40 is nice BUT it's a first year Ford/Volvo which could result in serious first year bugs. There were alot of problems with the 2000 S40 but Volvo seems to have corrected most of them by now.
    The new S40 is derived originally from the most reliable car sold in Germany -- the made-in-Germany Focus.

It's built in Belgium like the S60, which had higher reliability rating than any other European car sold in America, according to the April '03 Consumer Reports.

There's no doubt that the Honda Accord, especially the Japanese-assembled 4-cyl models, should be more reliable than the new S40 but not necessarily more than the German-built old Focus, which we can't get.
    I am scared of any car associated with the Focus. The US Focus was a nightmare, and from what I have seen on here the same can be said for the 2000 S40.
    i wouldn't be worried about the S40. it isn't really related to the old Focus at all. and outside of NA, the old Focus was the car to beat. only when it was introduced and built here in the U.S. did the recalls start...as usual. in truth, the OLD Focus, in NA, is now quite sturdy.

the new S40, to me, is the next step up from the stylish but small Jetta. same sporty and upscale feeling with class-leading safety and looks, for a really good price.
  • dhmcdhmc Member Posts: 6
    Volvo used to be one of the safest car, but after reading the following report I think Volvo has a lot to catch up.

http://www.aaa.asn.au/NCAP/ozindex.htm

What a surprise!
    SAAB 9-3/9-5 5 Stars
    Subaru Liberty(Legacy) 5 Stars
    Volvo S40/60/80 4 Stars
    that is one test. so hard to tell what they mean. in the U.S., the S80 has been given, year after year, the highest scores ever for a sedan, at any price.

i wouldn't let one test let me think that Volvo is not safe.
  • dhmcdhmc Member Posts: 6
    Don't get me wrong. I still think Volvo is a safe car, but I'm surprised that SAAB and Subaru get a better rating. There is more information regarding the test in the following link and let you decide if this is a good test:
    http://www.subaru.com.au/news/?newsid=11969
This discussion has been closed.