Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S40

Comments

• Were you ever able to contact my salesperson regarding the S40?
  • Volvo is planning to replace the Volvo S40
    for the year 2001. This is what is gathered at their "spy website".

The S40/V40 range is due to be replaced in 2001 with a car based on the new P1X platform. The current S40/V40 is built at NedCar in Born, the Netherlands, and shares its structure and factory with the Mitsubishi Carisma. The Ford purchase of Volvo is understood to have come too late to change the plans for the next S40/V40.
    The next V40 will be called V50 because Volvo will start naming the sedans S and then an even number and the station wagons V and then an odd number.

Here is the website:
    http://drive.to/volvospy

Just scroll down to -- Volvo Spy Pictures --
    and click on Volvo S40/V40. You might wanna check out all the other future cars there too!
  • S40/V40 Replaced by S40/V50.
    S70/V70 Replaced by S60/V70.
    S90/V90 Replaced by S80/V90.
    Volvo SUV.

* What they mean by replacing for the S40/V40 is changeing the interior and some other minor things including the name of the V40.

* This is the last year to get the S70(brick model). It will be replaced by the S60. The V70
    will be redesigned.

* They have already replaced the S90 with the S80. The V90 will also be redesigned.

* SUV, that might be a while before it comes out.
  • rfellmanrfellman Posts: 109
    S40 handled and braked adequately but the turbo lag was annoying. Engines revs before power develops. Compare this SAAB's 2.3 liter turbo in the 99 9-5 SE (170 Hp and 209 Ft Lbs of torque at 1800 Rpms. No contest since closeouts on loaded 9-5s were selling under invoice. Volvo arrogance and refusals to deal just means more sold SAABs. Steering on SAABs much better. Price difference: loaded 9-5 SE leather seats, ventilated seats, heated rear and front seats, dual climate control, 200 watt harmom kardon sterro etc, just $4000 more for SAAB. Why not buy a 9-3 before buying a S40. The 9-3s sre more fun to drive, offer more storage and SAAB will deal. Leases are great. New models have received rave reviews from press and owners.
  • GBrianKGBrianK Posts: 211
    Don't mean to say anything bad about them, but I have a relative in Sweden who works at a Saab factory (airplanes) and said he wouldn't be caught dead in one. Volvo is the way to go, they hold together and have higher resale value. All this coming from a Swede. Go figure.
  • I've heard the same about Saab resale values, that they're relatively low compared to other cars in the class. What's up with that?
  • They are owned (partially or all) by GM. Go figure.
    I assume that build quality is the issue here. After reading many car books and the other topics here at Edmunds, Saabs don't hold together to well. Also, they are very quirky. Someone mentioned that the ignition switch on the 9-3 is on the console between the two front seats?

Beyond that, I was told that if I was set on buying a Saab to stick to the turbo I4. It is pretty much the only thing left that isn't an Opel/GM component.

As for ownership, I think that GM owns 50% of Saab. I could be wrong. I personally believe that this wouldn't be a problem if they were using American components. Unfortunately, they utilize Opel. The division of GM that has brought us the Catera.

Personally, I want a luxury car that is going to hold together for a more than a decade. Mercedes and Volvo were at the top of that list.
  • My wife and I have been trying to get a deal on a 2000 S40 and the sales force isn't willing to deal at all. They offered $500 off of the standard invoice and no more. The local dealer here in Dayton, Ohio, USA has free loaner car when we get our Volvo serviced with them, but besides that, it seems to be a take it or leave it. Plus, they say it might take a month or more to get it from order. This is my first new car in a while.... Are us new car buyers supposed to be treated like this Now?
    Maybe I accidentally walked into the Ford Dealer.
    There apparently is a edict from up high in Volvo not to sell these vehicles any lower priced than $500 below invoice. Salesman I spoke to suggested that it may cause more people to demand the S40.

If you want close to invoice and a trip included, I would suggest that you go Euro Delivery.
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Regarding post #100:L

onerobb, I'm not too surprised about the relative inflexibility in pricing. I've seen this from all of the premium European manufacturers over the past few years when they introduce a new model. Volvo did it with the S80 last year when there was an unwritten rule about significant discounts and the fact that they couldn't be issued for the first few months or a dealership would not get their stock replenished! Premium manufacturers want to preserve their brand equity and having to discount a new model upon introduction to the market wouldn't do it. My guess is that by December you will find more flexibility in pricing on the S40. In the meantime, you could always opt for Euro delivery if you are going to have to place a custom order anyway. Under this option you will save $1,500 of MSRP (you will pay invoice price) but will pay full MSRP for options. If you order before 12/15 you will get a free round-trip ticket and first night hotel charge thrown in on top of the standard program offerings (free shipping to dealership, marine insurance, etc.). I did this earlier this year for my S80 T6, saved a bundle, and had a great weekend in Sweden.

If I can answer any questions let me know.

Thanks.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@ibm.net
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Yes...SAABs are quirkey...EVERYONE stay away from anything DIFERENT...different is BAD.

Just kidding.

In New Englad, Saabs are everywhere and known for their longevity and build quality, go figure.
    Regarding post #103:

sporin, I live in New England (Boston) and can assure Saabs are not known for their build quality (at least not good build quality anyways). They are known for their durability which is a different issue. If you have the money and patience to keep fixing a Saab it will outlast 90% of the other makes out there (Volvo is similar but has fewer quirks and problems to deal with).

-rdo
    russell.ollie@ibm.net
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Good point, I did use the wrong term.

Lot's of people think that Saabs (and Audis for that matter) fall apart when they get old, but in my area (northern NH/VT), they are everywhere and are highly sought after used cars. These cars DO require regular maintnance, but like you said, they are durable.
  • I test drove one of these very nice cars the other day. Only problem is it doesn't have much of a back seat and it is a 4 banger. For the cost $24000 base I think you can do a lot better for the same money. Unless of course you just have to have the European feel. Remember though that Volvo's mother country is a lot north of Germany!
    Regarding post #106:

halwelch, the base price is $22,900 and if you opt. for European delivery the price is closer to $21.5k. Further, that 4 banger is turbo charged and puts out 170 lb. ft. of torque at 1,800 rpm; comes with a very proven safety cage design; anti-whiplash seats that the IIHS (www.iihs.org) says are the best on the planet; side impact airbags; etc.

This car is the only car in its class to earn 4 stars in European NCAP crash scores (besting the offerings from Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Saab, etc.).

Personally, I don't think you can do better for the money in the US market at this point. Now in a few years the prices will have moved up and might be closer to the prices of cars like the Audi A4 so the equation could change significantly.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@ibm.net
    hey rollie:

i know that the S40 comes with the WHIPS, but does the S70. As I read through the brochure, it does not mention anything about it and the sales person didn't know either. Looks like someone didn't do their homework.
    Regarding post #108:

GBrianK, if what I've read is accurate, the 'S70' won't be getting WHIPS until next year. Of course the S70 is supposed to be replaced with the S80-based S60 next year so I suspect the current 854 platform will never have WHIPS but I could be wrong.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@ibm.net
  • LeffeLeffe Posts: 2
    All Volvo models of year 2000 will get the WHIPS, even the S70 and V70.
  • I called and talked to the dealer in Scottsdale Az. about getting Euro delivery and he thought I was nuts. I want a manual and dont want to wait till next year, so I inquired. What is the deal with the Euro delivery? And what is up with the trip?
    Regarding post #111:

greenguy, you spoke to a salesman which is the problem. Call back and ask to speak to the overseas delivery representative. A salesman can not match the Euro delivery price because he earns a commission. This is why they will try to discourage you from this route. Under this program you will pay factory invoice for the car ($21,400 for the S40) and full MSRP for options. The dealership receives a 5% fee in lieu of 'profit' for cars sold under this program so don't feel bad for them! If you order before 12/15, you will get free airfare to Europe and the first night hotel charge will be free. For further details on the free trip and car pricing go to this page:

http://www.volvocars.com/overseas_new/

I bought a S80 T6 under this option earlier this year, saved a bundle, and had a blast driving my car in Sweden for the weekend. If I can answer any questions let me know.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@ibm.net
  • If you were going to respond thanks, just read about it. Could I still get the S40 with the manual? Also I am interested in this car for the performance aspect, ie; touring racing is where i fell in love. Is this a good platform for performance? Any info is appreciated
    Regarding post #113:

greenguy, I don't know that you can get the manual through Euro delivery yet (if ever). As far as I know, Volvo hasn't opted to spend the $ to get the stick for the 40 series certified by the US government. I don't know if their stick will make it to Canada or not (they get different options than the US).

Is this car a good platform for performance? YES. The S40 is the current reigning BTCC champion. I haven't checked recently but I don't think they are winning this year and further Ford has announced they are pulling Volvo out of the BTCC series starting next year! For what it's worth, the BTCC S40 I believe has a 300+ hp naturally aspirated 2.0 litre engine!
    In Europe there is a T4 version of the S40 that has a high pressure turbo engine but it's not ready for the US yet.

In the end, I would suggest you call the Overseas Delivery program in New Jersey (?) and ask them about the availability of the stick for the North American market.

Good luck.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@ibm.net
    Rollie:

when do we get to see this car???? major reason i haven't bought yet is the horsepower. a high pressure version of the S40 would kick [non-permissible content removed]!

also, i took your advice and got a longer test-drive. unfortunately, racing the engine for a period of time didn't change the transmission performance settings. it still seems slow, but the price is definitely right.

while talking to the euro rep at the dealer, he attempted to "tack" on extra fees. Is this allowed? Can I directly order the S40 from the Jersey office to avoid the dealer? I know you can do this now with the S80 at the new Volvo website.

Thanks!
    Regarding post #115:

GBrianK, oddly, I haven't read any projections for an arrival date for the T4. I know the T4 had some engine / software issues for the first 2 years of production Europe and I don't know if they've been solved. Can any of our European posters shed some light here?

Regarding the Euro Delivery option,what type of fees were they trying to add on? The only potential add ons are for the case where you decide to drive your car in Europe (you have to buy European auto insurance) and if you opt for pickup or drop-off in a location other than Sweden (you have to pay a delivery / pickup charge that varies depending on which European location you choose). Other than these 2 items, I don't know of any other charges that could be tacked on for this program.

The ability to order the S80 directly through the Internet is new. As you are aware, the 40 can't be ordered directly through the Internet yet but if you call the program office and tell them you would prefer to order directly through them and select a dealership of choice for delivery you MIGHT get lucky. Conceptually, it's the same as ordering the S80 outside of the dealership so I would try my luck.

Good luck.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@ibm.net
  • So could a stock S40, if it arives with a stick, be upgraded to the T4? Is the engine different, ie; pistons, clutch, trans.. will it handle the bigger turbo? Is there a web site that has the specs on the T4?
    Mucos gracias
    Regarding post #117:

greenguy, there are a combination of 7 engine types that can be ordered for a 40 series car from what I see on the U.K. site. If you use the link pasted below, you will be able to select each engine and see the specs. by using the entries in the drop-down box:

http://www.volvocars.volvo.co.uk/pp/s40/engine/pop_20t.asp

Hope this helps.

-rdo
    russell.ollie@ibm.net
  • Thats cool how you are helping and giving your time to educate those that are in need, want desire ;)
  • the site would not let me in :(
    Ill try to find another way in, say by clicking the UK site on volvo casr web site?.
    Well, that stinks. I hope that we hear more about this IMPROVED engine from Volvo :)

As for extra fees, he attempted to stick me with a dealer prep fee, fuel fee (says that Volvo fills up the tank and I have to reimburse them for this), and something or other about teflon coating. After first hearing this, he lost my interest totally.

I thought that the Euro Delivery Program was supposed to save you $$$ (get the car under sticker). With all this crap, it kinda reminds me of the Honda dealers of the 1980's. Well, he can stick it! I'll wait until next year.
This discussion has been closed.