Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A8

Comments

• georgev1georgev1 Posts: 14
    thanx for the reply!
    we are down to $55,500
    i am still working ...
    more importantly WHAT RECALL ?? lol
    george
    also...doesn't 10,600 miles sound LOW for an '04?
    premium pkg, sirius radio, adaptive cruise..i am kind of excited..
    i simply love the way it looks, i just wonder if the brandy-new a8 might be a little tighter. i just like the idea of saving $20K or so..whaddya think?
    i DO like
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Yes indeed the mileage is quite low for a 2 year old car. Figure only about 4-5k miles a year. 55k may be a bit high, I'd try to knock'em down to around 50k even, given the fact that you can get a A8 for 68k brand new.

The recall for the '04 involves the MMI system. It would randomly shutdown for hours or days and power up randomly. NOTE: The entire interior operating system runs through this system, so I'd take it to a dealer to make sure the service has been done. They'll be able to tell just by running the VIN through the database.
    thanks again..
    i should have mentioned that it's a dealer offering me this car
    it is a CPO and comes with the 100,000K miles warranty
    i am concerned with the 'ratings' feedback on edmunds
    seems like a lot of eletrical issues, but i love the car
    i'm doubtful they will go to $50K, if i got them to $53K i think i'd be happy
    george
  • coloradoa8lcoloradoa8l Posts: 12
    My man what are you talking about? The new body stlye has only been out for 3 model years. I have an 2006 A8L and it's the best ride I have ever owned. I am coming from a S-Class and I can tell with confidence it's far better than any other luxury sedan under 100K you can buy. There won't be an new A8 body until 2010 releasing in 2009.
    I leased a 2006 back in March and fought the same battle you are going between New and Used. I drove both L and Short and could not feel much of a difference, But the L seemed quieter and rode a little better with passengers.
    As far as through the curves go, Your only talking about 6 more inches. Good luck you are going to buy the finest sedan on the market. That quattro is like it's on tracks in the wet weather.
    thank you..
    sounds like you are enjoying the ride!
    how many miles have you driven so far?
    how's the MMI?
    perhaps more importantly, how is your dealer treating you?
    george
    It will be out in Nov of this year.
    It is now out in Europe.
    That car is Bad to the bone!
    So far about 3,500 miles and I love each and everyone of them. I love the fact that you only see about 1 other A8 a month. I took the tags off the back and the exec's in the business park drop there jaws when they see it. I drove by Mike Anderson's house (Denver Broncos) and he did the side to side whiplash look as I drove by. My son was laughing.
    The MMI is great, Big dial and easy to navigate. The dealer has great customer service. No service yet but they seem on top of it. I am sure the MMI is the new post recall so I would not worry.
    I just returned from a weekend out in the Hamptons with great praise for my car. I had two different people on separate occassions tell me that it is very nice to see something different other than the usual MB, BMW, Jag, Lexus, even Caddy.

They were in awe over the details of the car, which are very understated. I let a few people sit in the inside and compare to there Lexuses and MB's, and it was no contest says one guy, who just purchased a leftover '06 model(unlucky fella). The owner of a doughnut/butcher shop(Dreesen's if anybody's familiar) is in the process of receiving his A8L Sport that he traded his '01 LS430 in for. He mentioned that the A8 is the best kept secret in the biz. I concurred, naturally.

The W-12 is still running like a champ. Around mid-summer I'll replace the factory 20" tires for some Michelin Pilot Sport 2's that have received rave reviews on many upscale European cars.

I do have one quibble tho: I find it hard not to check the oil level in the car as the computer doesn't tell me to service until 7k miles or so, which I'm not used to as I'm an old guy who's used to the old 3k mile intervals.

BTW: We got word on Friday that Audi will begin building our S8 in September. Can't wait.

Tony, Eric- How's everything??
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    I was just sitting here thinking of you two.....I to have been getting complements , which I`n not use to....Further on the trips I seem to be taking at a fairly rapid pace, the cars seem to let me pass very quicky.....I haven`t seen one 8 on the road between North and South Carolina, but I did see a patrolman right behind me with the bumper that could be used to push a car....It did look like the front end of the Audi, and I was also afraid I was about to get a ticket when I realized it was a trooper...No bad luck like that...I also am not use to the oil not being changed for such long intervals....It`s a nice thing not be have to go in so frequently.. Eric I am sure your grandchildren anr getting accustomed to the extra nice back seating area? and you are enjoying driving the car on rainy days particularly?? You two have fun as the summer time is coming up quicky Tony
  • emaussemauss Posts: 151
    ..for me was last weekend, when I took Katharine from Bronxville to Manorville, LI (Great petting zoo!)

The 1-1/4hr trip was a pleasure. The seats are really fantastic, and the little bit longer-than-usual trip allowed be to fiddle with steering wheel position. Pretty close to perfect now.

Loving the car....

Alway a pleasure to see a new message on this board and to keep in touch...

Eric
  • reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    Great to see you are enjoying the W12. I get the same reactions here in Los Angeles regarding the A8L although I am seeing at least several A8s everyday along with a plethora of new Audis running around LA. Anyway, I am very interested on your take on the tires. I have 20" rims on my W12 as well with the Pirelli P-Zero Directionales. What is your take on them and do you think the Michelins would be better in terms of ride. My 05' A6 4.2 S-Line and my 06' A6 3.2 Avant have the Pilot Sports and they feel very good.

Congrats again on your S8. I am waiting for the R8.
    Like you guys, I am a stickler for maintenance. Regardless, I have my dealer change my oil on my A8L every 4 thousand miles. It may be overkill, but I feel like I am doing good by my "little guy." I do this on all my Audis and my "kids" have never let me down. I think it is the simplist yet most important thing one can do to maintain the health of an engine is to too change oil regularly and frequently.
    It does seem extreme to change the oil for so many years at three thousand miles, and then the Germans say five thosand once, then say ten thousand or more before the next.....I personally think you are right, and will probably go with five thousand..Tony
    ...when I called earlier the dealer said "why???"

it ran fine for 3 years....

(e)
    The Pirelli Directionales(all series) are known for their true sporting nature, and will porbably give some of the other tires(Goodyear Supercar F1's for instance) a good run for the money.

BUT, the Pilot Sport 2's split the difference. The Pirelli's have a very stiff sidewall, thus harshening the ride. The Michelins, of course made with good quality, gives you the comfort of an all season tire, but when things get hairy, they hold their own, ESPECIALLY with our AWD-equipped cars. Remember that the A8 holds corners and steers about as good as a 7-Series BMW, believe or not. So the tires can only aid this.

The most remarkable thing about this is that we New Yorkers/Englanders encounter our fair share of crazy weather(Something you Califorians miraculously escape), and these tires actually offer a better grip rating than some hi-po winter tires. At 390 a pop, it's a no-brainer for me.

BTW: The wife told me that I'd have to part with my beloved weekend toys, the Vette Z06 and my JGC SRT-8 to aquire the R8 V-10, but SHE can have her S8 because she parted with the CLS 55. How about that. I have to give up two cars compared to her one. Go figure. I'll do extra house chores to butter her up to let me get an R8, the poor man's Lambo.
    Thank you for the information. Yes, the Pirellis do have a very hard and stiff sidewall (I have already replaced two due to damage to them), but they grip well. I will look into the Pilot Sport as I do like the tire on my other Audis. Well, I hope you do not have to give up two cars to get the R8, though it might be worth it once you are behind the wheel. I am waiting to place my order once the details become available on the R8 V10. Thanks for the input.
    Well it is a slow Sunday, so here is a story----As I was driving back from the mountains I thought of my grandparents and what their trip entailed...Around the turn of the century say 1905 or so, they would leave Charleston and travel to an inn near Ashville N. C called Grove Park....They traveled about the same route as I26 by stagecoach. The trip took around a week, maybe five days. Along for the ride would be my mother and aunts (uncle youngest and not born),and they were pretty young themselves....Here on the same trip driving along in the a8 comfortable and cool,around eighty mph am I..and my trip is about three and a half hours...I`d bet the value of the dollar back then if converted now, would enable them to buy an a8 with some left over just for the cost of the trip and lodging for a couple of months.. My how times have changed, and in my opinion for the better even though there are really getting to be a huge amount of people even in what was the wilderness.....Eric and Blkhemi I sure hope you all are taking some nice trips as I am, and I am also afraid you guys are dealing with the break dust as imo that is the only thing so far that is a pain, as I do the wheel cleaning weekly..Tony
  • ayyateayyate Posts: 53
    Interesting thoughts to ponder on a mountain drive. I am old enough to appreciate such observations. I don't remember 1905, however.

On the subject of brake dust, there are a few steps to take. Probably none of them are without some compromise. There are arguments, pro and con, to be made about metallic-content pads. I have tried them successfully on a couple of Mercedes cars and did not notice appreciably greater disk wear. Additional disk wear is the usual argument against such pads. I did have much less dust.

On my present A8, I have noticed far less dust in the year I have driven it than on earlier German cars. I have changed nothing, not pads or wheels. Perhaps Audi has devised some way to reduce the dust from pads. Pad composition? Wheel design? Who knows. I normally do not wash my own car but I will occasionally spray my wheels liberally with Simple Green and just hose them off. I find that, unless I have driven in rain, this does a fairly good job of cleaning them. If the car has been in rain, a soft brush after spraying with lots of Simple Green will usually take care of any lingering dirt. I live in California where it seldom rains and this is an easy way to keep my wheels clean. If I am dressed to go out, I don't even get my shoes wet. Just let them air dry and you are done.

Good luck,
    WP
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I stayed at the Grove Park Inn 5 or 6 years ago - incredible place. It's one of the most memorable vacations I've ever had. :)
    Thanks for the ideas...I`l try it out..I did try the duPont product, but did not find it to be worth while...Again thanks .. Pat -- it sure is nice to have good memories..I myself haven`t stayed there, but my friends that have say nice things Tony
    The W-12 is still running proud and strong. Just had the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires installed and boy what a difference. The car is even more quite yet has found new agility. For about 1200 bucks, this was the best addition to the car besides my Valentine-1 radar. The oil sensor still hasn't told me to get the 10 quarts of Mobil 1 changed out. But the oil does still have the caramel color to it. When I start to burn gas, I'll know it's time to change it. Thank Heavens for the covered maintenance contract...

Tony, thanks for the support over on the HELM board, and reality2, thanks for your post. I hope all is well with each and every one of your Audi's, including you, silent Bob(eric-how's the ride for the summer?)
    It`s fun to watch the changes slowly taking place on the HELM board...With you and Tagman along with merc a winning team...Which tires did you have before the change...I have perelli(sp) which have been so far good, but I now have six thousand miles and expect them to last at least another year or so.. I also wonder where is Eric? A few years ago merc stopped posting..It went on and on , and I really thought he may have been in an accident...I tracked him down on the internet, and he just had had a problem or so--and as we all see is back and in fine form now. We may not actually have met each other but we still can care. Tony
    Thanks for all of your posts as well on the HELM. The ignorance there is unfortunately so typical of many HELM buyers. But, their loss as I say. Anyway, my "three kids" are doing very well. You have me hooked on changing my Pirellis over to the Sport 2 tires as I see it is making a big difference on your W12. I am going to check them out this weekend for my W12. "Never Follow" as they say.
    ...Still here, just lurking. My old days of hours on BBs is long over. I have the stock contis on mine, and with almost 4k miles, do not feel the need for a change...tho the P-Zeros sound pretty interesting.

Anyway, things are great, and the BMW R12C has been getting a pretty good workout lately. Weather has been just right for it, so the Audi sits and waits....

Eric
    Tony, I had the Continental Contact PLS's before my tire swap. These tires are great touring tires, but the Michelins are AWESOME touring tires and are markedly quieter. Taking corners in this thing is even more fun now. I had the option of going with the Pirreli's or Continentals at the time of purchase. Some cars equipped with the 19"/20" rubber had them, but most will have the Pirelli's
    Have been driving wife`s bmw and do like the turn signal lever and how it works better than the audi...It doesn`t click back after the turn, no noise....What i really want to say is that today at lunch there were two old cars one a Porsche and one a Jaguar...The vintage was around the mid fifties and both cars looked spotles and right off the show room floor....When i was in my teens my friend had the Porsche --red --just like the one we saw, and I can tell you the memories are alive and well...The Jaguar I saw today is without doubt the most exotic car of them all..I know I`m prejudiced as this was one of the looks that programed my thinking and judgement...The car was a cream white with the massive rear fender shields (skirts) with a red interior..It further had a strap with fleece to keep the hood (bonet) down, but man what an overall sleek look, and what a hood...Must have been fifty feet long..I remember from long ago that there wasn`t a sound that equilled the sound of a Jag....This experience also brought back the memories of the simpleness and elegence that those type of cars possessed.... and I`l never forgett how a Posche of that vintage handled Tony
  • Hi all. I'm interested in purchasing a well maintained A8 circa 1997-2000 and was wondering if there were any iterations to stay away from. And if so for what reasons; i.e. earlier engine probs; electrical gremlins; abnormal tire wear, etc. etc. whatever.
    I currently have a 1993 S4 showing 280,000 on the odo and she still is a pistol. Don't ever see another one which I kinda like. Also, it's not stock with an upgraded Euro turbo and intake, 993 Big Red's, Magnaflow exhaust, 17" ASAs, XM radio, and 750 watt sub system with 12" JL Audios. Just want a change; getting older I guess!!!

Also does Audi still use the Space Frame??

Thanks! :)

Andy
    The '97-'03 A8's were some of the best cars in their repective classes. I owned a '03 S8 in which I was profoundly fond of, best Euro car for '03 IMO.

Yes, Audi still uses the famous SpaceFrame technology.

If what you're looking for is a pre-'04 gen A8, I'd definetely keep away from the pre '99's as those were the most troublesome. The '00-up A8L's were some of the most reliable European transpost during that era. And these cars can be had a relatively low prices, a good thing given all of the luxury that goes in them. I'd try to buy from a reputable Audi dealership in hopes of getting a warranty because, as with all luxury cars, there will be problems down the road. All in all, this vintage is one of those cars that was one of the best kept secrets in the biz. A very good buy. But with any used car purchase, always run a vehicle history report before buying.