Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I stayed at the Grove Park Inn 5 or 6 years ago - incredible place. It's one of the most memorable vacations I've ever had. :)
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Thanks for the ideas...I`l try it out..I did try the duPont product, but did not find it to be worth while...Again thanks .. Pat -- it sure is nice to have good memories..I myself haven`t stayed there, but my friends that have say nice things Tony
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    The W-12 is still running proud and strong. Just had the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires installed and boy what a difference. The car is even more quite yet has found new agility. For about 1200 bucks, this was the best addition to the car besides my Valentine-1 radar. The oil sensor still hasn't told me to get the 10 quarts of Mobil 1 changed out. But the oil does still have the caramel color to it. When I start to burn gas, I'll know it's time to change it. Thank Heavens for the covered maintenance contract...

Tony, thanks for the support over on the HELM board, and reality2, thanks for your post. I hope all is well with each and every one of your Audi's, including you, silent Bob(eric-how's the ride for the summer?)
    It`s fun to watch the changes slowly taking place on the HELM board...With you and Tagman along with merc a winning team...Which tires did you have before the change...I have perelli(sp) which have been so far good, but I now have six thousand miles and expect them to last at least another year or so.. I also wonder where is Eric? A few years ago merc stopped posting..It went on and on , and I really thought he may have been in an accident...I tracked him down on the internet, and he just had had a problem or so--and as we all see is back and in fine form now. We may not actually have met each other but we still can care. Tony
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Thanks for all of your posts as well on the HELM. The ignorance there is unfortunately so typical of many HELM buyers. But, their loss as I say. Anyway, my "three kids" are doing very well. You have me hooked on changing my Pirellis over to the Sport 2 tires as I see it is making a big difference on your W12. I am going to check them out this weekend for my W12. "Never Follow" as they say.
  • emaussemauss Member Posts: 151
    ...Still here, just lurking. My old days of hours on BBs is long over. I have the stock contis on mine, and with almost 4k miles, do not feel the need for a change...tho the P-Zeros sound pretty interesting.

Anyway, things are great, and the BMW R12C has been getting a pretty good workout lately. Weather has been just right for it, so the Audi sits and waits....

Eric
    Tony, I had the Continental Contact PLS's before my tire swap. These tires are great touring tires, but the Michelins are AWESOME touring tires and are markedly quieter. Taking corners in this thing is even more fun now. I had the option of going with the Pirreli's or Continentals at the time of purchase. Some cars equipped with the 19"/20" rubber had them, but most will have the Pirelli's
    Have been driving wife`s bmw and do like the turn signal lever and how it works better than the audi...It doesn`t click back after the turn, no noise....What i really want to say is that today at lunch there were two old cars one a Porsche and one a Jaguar...The vintage was around the mid fifties and both cars looked spotles and right off the show room floor....When i was in my teens my friend had the Porsche --red --just like the one we saw, and I can tell you the memories are alive and well...The Jaguar I saw today is without doubt the most exotic car of them all..I know I`m prejudiced as this was one of the looks that programed my thinking and judgement...The car was a cream white with the massive rear fender shields (skirts) with a red interior..It further had a strap with fleece to keep the hood (bonet) down, but man what an overall sleek look, and what a hood...Must have been fifty feet long..I remember from long ago that there wasn`t a sound that equilled the sound of a Jag....This experience also brought back the memories of the simpleness and elegence that those type of cars possessed.... and I`l never forgett how a Posche of that vintage handled Tony
  • monkstermannmonkstermann Member Posts: 27
    Hi all. I'm interested in purchasing a well maintained A8 circa 1997-2000 and was wondering if there were any iterations to stay away from. And if so for what reasons; i.e. earlier engine probs; electrical gremlins; abnormal tire wear, etc. etc. whatever.
    I currently have a 1993 S4 showing 280,000 on the odo and she still is a pistol. Don't ever see another one which I kinda like. Also, it's not stock with an upgraded Euro turbo and intake, 993 Big Red's, Magnaflow exhaust, 17" ASAs, XM radio, and 750 watt sub system with 12" JL Audios. Just want a change; getting older I guess!!!

Also does Audi still use the Space Frame??

Thanks! :)

Andy
    The '97-'03 A8's were some of the best cars in their repective classes. I owned a '03 S8 in which I was profoundly fond of, best Euro car for '03 IMO.

Yes, Audi still uses the famous SpaceFrame technology.

If what you're looking for is a pre-'04 gen A8, I'd definetely keep away from the pre '99's as those were the most troublesome. The '00-up A8L's were some of the most reliable European transpost during that era. And these cars can be had a relatively low prices, a good thing given all of the luxury that goes in them. I'd try to buy from a reputable Audi dealership in hopes of getting a warranty because, as with all luxury cars, there will be problems down the road. All in all, this vintage is one of those cars that was one of the best kept secrets in the biz. A very good buy. But with any used car purchase, always run a vehicle history report before buying.
    Hey thanks so much. If I might ask, why don't you still have the S8?

Also, is the VW Phaeton merely a VW badged A8. If so perhaps that'd be a better deal (steal?) given peoples reluctance to accept VW as a luxury marque. If there are differences do you know what they are??

Thanks again!
    I very seldom keep cars more than 2 years as I have so many. The S8 was a very nice(and rare) car, and I had a nice gentleman who was very interested in the car, so I sold it. And now, I've got a A8L W-12 that I'm very passionate about, with a new S8 coming in the fall.

As for the Phaeton, it does benefit from Audi's superb powertrains(4.2L V8, 6.0L W-12) and interior fit/finish. But that's where most of the similarities end. The Phaeton for the most part is steel v. the aluminum-intensive construstion of the A8. It is AWD, albeit not the exact same set-up as the quattro system in the A8. And there are some features not available on the V-Dub that the Audi possess.

The Phaetons right now are an incredible bargain. There is one around here that has only 1500 miles on the odo that the owner is willing to part with for 45k, with the original price of $71. And then there are some other examples at VW dealers that are CPO that are even better values.
    My gut told me there had to be a catch. So, I think I'll stay with the original. Moreover, I think the V-Dubs badging is gaudy. Over the top with that humongous insignia. What were they thinking? In the luxo arena understated is the way as far as I'm concerned.
    I have an '06 A8L and am very pleased with it. My friend has the VW Phaeton (along with a CLS55), and he says the Phaeton is the best road car he had ever had. His last two 'road cars' were the 745Li and the S500 (about three years with each).
    For a long trip, the Phaeton is fabulous (I speak from experience)....but with VW discontuing it in the states, and limited dealers to begin with, I would worry about future servicing.

(e)
    I unfortunately scraped the wheel rim today, and on checking it I noticed a chunk of rubber about the size of a fifty cent piece had been knocked off...I was wondering if I should get the tire replaced? And if so should I get them to put the spare and the new one on the front, or just replace to damaged one...I would seem as though I just barely scraped it, and the tire should have held up...Any suggestions Tony
  • richardgrbrrichardgrbr Member Posts: 1
    I am the proud owner of a 2003 A8L. Love it! I want to transport a kayak, but I am reluctent to use a roof rack. Although Audi says its OK up to 200 lbs, I am concerned about denting the aluminum roof. I am thinking about a trailer, but cannot find an aftermarket hitch. I have researched Audi hitches, but I heard they cost more than $1000.00 installed. Does anyone have a better solution?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    For obvious safety reasons, I'd go ahead and get the tire replaced. If you're like me and cruise frequently use the interstate/expressway, then the tire would come more suseptible to blow-out.
    I'd be skeptic about adding that much weight to the already precious aluminum roof.

The hitches aren't the cheapest, but they are Audi specific, custom-fit to suit the A8, unlike the aftermarktet brands.
    Tony - at the very least, change the damaged tire to the spare. That will buy you a little time.

(e)
    Took to car to the tire store, and the salesman thought the damage was just cosmetic....I agree with you all as I move along for long stretches at eighty with some higher burst to break the monotony....I was thinking to put the spare and the new tire on the front and re mount the good tire on the spare...Again thanks Tony
    It`s hot down here Tony
    Hi Tony. It's hot here in SE Va, also. And I think all up and down the eastern seaboard. :sick:
    ...and is well. My dealer did his job very well, and I am quite pleased. So far, the car is great.

(e)
    I was on my bike Tuesday on a local parkway (Grand Central). There are no trees or shade, and the air temp was about 100. The pavement had to be about 110, the motorcycle engine contributing to that feel....and the blast furnace-like wind was about as bad as I can remember.

WHEW!

(e)
    I rode to the city today on my bike on the L.I.E. and like to suffocated. The wind was like drving through Death Valley, maybe the Sahara. The huge motor on my bike felt like a blow torch sandwiched between me.

Ahhh, the quad-zone A/C of the W12 would've been ideal to the say the least. My brother called from Memphis todat, and told me that it's 107 there. I guess we're fairing a bit better, only a bit............
    Drove up to mountains, expecting a bit of cool, but alas it is miserable ...They say a cool front may come, and for me it is critical as the a/c in the cabin conked out and not a chance to repair it til Tuesday....I guess we all have to have some misery in our lives. and a/c has become a necessity...The car has gotten many new compliments which is un heard of for me...Someone knocked on the window when my wife was at Cosco and just could not have been more enthusiastic and curious...This is the first car in many years that still is exciting as when I got it and no problems....I am a bit envious of blkhemi and the new s8 he is getting, and do think the shorter body--as mine is--with the extra power will be exciting for him--so much so that it shoulld last til the next body change...me with 330hp is really plenty...just imagine an extra hundred plus...Eric it is good to hear you are still enamorated also....Keeep it up Tony
    Speaking of the S8, my A of A rep called today to inform that the car will be built Oct 3. @ 10:40 am Germany time.

That is what I call service. They even tell you what time your car hits the painter. Audi says that I could get it 3rd week of Oct., but would have to go to Ft.Lauderdale Fla to pick it up. I think I can wait a couple weeks thereafter to get it here at home. Customs limits the number of cars nowadays as they can't keep up with the freight, so hence the month delay in shipping.

On another note, my daughter and son-in-law are expecting anyday now, and her S4 Cab and his 911 Turbo ain't gonna cut it. So I mentioned a couple weeks back to my wife that I'll let them have the W-12 as a gift since they're all things German and their cars are not suitable(especially the Porsche). She says that as long as I don't take the S8 while she goes back on her voyage to Dutch land. I said, surrrrrrrreeeeeeee, we know what that means.

But any who, my son-in-law traded his 911 Turbo for a Q7 on Tuesday. I was very shocked that he left his long time Porsche for Audi, but he said that the Cayenne rode hard as bricks and the Touareg was a "bit below him", and plus there aren't many Q7's around. I guess I'll give my daughter the W12 and get her Cab for a weekend toy......
    Hi my car came into Houston I think, so the S is to come into ft Lauderdale?? I may be in Miami the end of October, so if you by chance come that way you are welcome to stay a night with us, if you so choose....i`v been wanting to learn something about diamonds so that would be fun for me...As for your daughter making you a grandfather that is exciting, and may change your car buying habits...There are so many more safety conserns than when I was building a fimily...Can`t ride with a baby in the front etc. and for good reasons....there1l be plenty of room in the backseat...Tony
    Depending upon how bad I want to get the car by then, I may take you up on your offer.(lol)

BTW: My brother owns a yacht that he docks in Boca, which isn't far from FT. Lauderdale. He's in the process of purchasing a bigger boat(you know that the current one is never enough- bigger is better in boat talk), which is supposed to happen in Oct, as that's the date they'll be finish building it. Maybe I'll blitz down I-95 from NY to Fla in the W12 and we could have some small talk?
    The a/c still is not working, and they will have to get a special tech. to come ..All new parts, but something is stopping the power getting to the `power board`...Other than my discomfort (not bad) there is no other way, say get a new outside compressor, as someday it to will have to be fixed....that leads into my concern with the hybred power that is being developed...I certainly wouldn`t want to buy a used car so equipped--for many years--Just too many components to possibly fail..

Blkhemi---I would suggest flying down...No matter what you are welcome..

Pat, i was wondering about where Southern Virginia is in relationship to Asheville N. C is, as that isn`t too far away

i thought I would be a short term Audi owner, say three years or less, and then back to Lexus....It isn`t turning out like that...I enjoy the car as much as when I first got it, and up here in the mountains it is a pleasure to sport around the curves with...i really don`t think any other car is better.......Tony
    The A/C is out in the Audi? Or your home?
    Home of course there has not ever been anything wrong with the Audi....i have a little window unit in the bedroom and it cools off enough by midnight....you may say , `get a bigger unit`` I say the window is too small and the other windows are too big.....
    I'm about 400 miles NNE of Asheville. It's actually southeastern Virginia - the bottom corner of the state on the ocean.
    ...your car, too. Then, when I read a little further down and saw it wasn't you car, I said to myself, "thank goodness"......Boy, is that warped!

(e)
    A challenging read for all......Pat That drive from the eastern part of virginia to the western part of N.C, would be a challenge...I drove to the eastern coast of N.C from Charleston, and it is a daunting drive after I 95 veers in the wrong dirction....Tony
    I'm trying to figure if we stay in NY or South Texas. With all of this heat, my brain is scrambled and I'm a bit confused.

I got in the A8 today and the thermostat read 108 degrees: WHAT?, I said. No better when I got to the city at Grand Av., when it read 110. They say relief is on the way, thankfully.

Tony, I-95 is a very daunting drive if one is inexperienced. Thankfully, I have a sister in Newport News, VA, and I stop there on my trips to Florida 4 times a year. I will stop there on my way to Florida this Oct.
    What type of experienc would be speaking of?? Seems to me ofter a while you just have to put your mind on automatic, except for the moments of terror that pop up unexpectedly....I found another small window on the stair landing that another five thousand btu unit would fit in, so go it yesterday after not getting to sleep til two...Repair people think they have found the small capacitor that is the problem, but no parts til Tuesday...Hopefully it`l be fixed on my next visit as i have to go back to Charleston...No question this was the worse visit i can remember.....Blk I hope to meet you if things work out next October...If you drove down, how would you manage you car, if you picked up the new one?? Tony
    I think we are both about equi-distant from Asheville. It's not a short hop, that's for sure.

Blkhemi - when you leave your sister's, wave at me as you go by on I64! I'm on the other side of that (horrid) tunnel from NN. ;)
    Will do!
    Good question. I think it will be high time that me and son-in-law get to know each other a bit better. He's very into boats and yachts, so he wants to drive down with me in Oct. He's a investment broker and does have some business in the Palm Beach and down in Miami, so he can travel freely.

My daughter is eagerly anticipating the arrival of the S8 so that she can grasp the W12. My wife has since agreed to me getting the S600 and her just keeping the S8. But judging from my past experiences with my wife and Mercedes, I'll likely end up with the Audi just as we did with the W12 and the CLS. She absolutely loves MBZ, no matter what people say about them. It must be a diamond trade thing......
    I was in the office in Brooklyn the yesterday, and when I left for the Interboro...opps, Jackie Robinson, the temp gauge said 109.

Sheeeeshhh!

(e)
    ...Oh, that was Kelvin ;-)
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Let them keep their S4 Cabriolet! I have one and absolutely love it!

Sounds like they're having a good time with those unbelievable cars.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330 (soon to be replaced)
    replacing the RX with a Q7 would be fantastic. The Q7 is one fine SUV that would do a person proud.

regarding the S4 Cab, the car is very exhilirating to drive and that's why they can't have it. :P :D
  • shrinkrapshrinkrap Member Posts: 17
    As a new member on this board, I was perusing postings by various other members about the Audi A8 - obviously, a group of people enthusiastically biased in favor of that car!

I am looking for a new luxury sedan, the main criterion for which is AWD. I have narrowed the search to 2 cars: the Audi A8L and the M-B S550 4MATIC (which I realize won't appear for a few months). I have driven a flawless M-B S430 for 5 years, and I would have purchased a new one w/ 4MATIC if the model hadn't been redesigned. The price tag is also a factor. The drive of the Audi is superb, but I'm not overwhelmed by the design.

Hence, before jumping ship and landing into an Audi, I am interested to know what those of you who are familiar with both cars have to say? Or, should I be looking at anything else w/ AWD? Parenthetically, if the Maserati Quattroporte came w/ AWD, I'd be withdrawing a wad of $ from the bank tomorrow!

shrinkrap
    Welcome to the board. What would you like to know? I find the A8's styling quite stunning, but that is matter of personal taste. As for the build and finish, the S430 does not come close to the A8L in this regard. Having driven the S500 for awhile, I found it wanting when compared to the nimble drive the A8L, and the interior was less than impressive for this class of HELM. I cannot say enough about my A8L as I make excuses to drive it daily neglecting my two other Audis at times. The price can vary, but do not assume that the A8L will not cost you as much as the others. You can easily price around $90,000 depending on the various features such as the Bang and Olsen stereo system, full leather interiors, personal refrigerator, and special interior themes among other exquiste options available on the A8L. Also, available is the rear entertainment system which is something to conisder. Anway, the the A8L is leaps and bounds above the S430 in driving qualities and build and finish, not to mention reliability.
    I too echo Reality 2`s opinion....I really like the design including the grill, but I do wish I had gotten the full leather...I missed getting the headliner...i got the shorth version and the upgraded sport suspension...I would think the new mercedes to be superior to the old one, but have not driven the new one...If for some reason you are not captivated with the interior of the Audi, then your decision should be made....I have had no problems at all with my Audi...Tony
  • shrinkrapshrinkrap Member Posts: 17
    Thanks to Tony and Reality2 for your comments. My mind is about 90% made up in favor of the A8L. Any thoughts about the restricted visibility via the rear window? I found the rear headrests to be very annoying, but I assume that they can be removed. I also thought that there was more of a blind spot than I am used to, where the rear pillars slope down.

A question for Tony: what leads you to wish that you had gotten the full leather?

Many thanks, shrinkrap
    The rear visibility is a bit tight, but it has not been a problem for me. All A8s come with standard Audi Parktronic which is a great way to measure your distance from another object not just when backing up, but going forward, and even on the sides. However, for the 2007 year, the A8L will have a rearview camera with a trajectory line system to show you exactly how you are backing up. The Full Leather (which was not available on the standard A8s till know)upgrade features leather on ALL surfaces of the interior. It is truly stunning when everything you see and touch is covered by Audi's exquiste leather. Still, even without the full leather package, the interior stands out above the rest with very high end materials and woods. Furthermore, Audi is offering special interior design packages for 2007 (option cost is about $11,000) that can further enhance the interior in way like no other. I find the interior of my W12 to be superior to the Bently.
    Did you read my post I left for you on the HELM board? If so, then you'd know that Audi is not only the best in AWD, but to add to Reality and Tony, it's one of the best cars on the planet, and one of the best kept secrets in car biz in this country, no matter what the Lexicans will try to tell ya.

I have a '06 A8L W12(these are very rare and if found, BUY IT) that I special ordered last year. It took 5 months to receive, but oh boy was the wait over.

I order the following: Full leather interior w/ special 3-tone pattern($11,300), Bang & Olsen logic music system($6800), rear fridge($1000), 20" wheels($2000), power side shades($500), and Audi's worry-free warranty to 100k($3400-well worth it's weight in gold with this many electronics on this car).

Yeah, I went a bit over board on the options for this car, but you know, you only live once.

The $138k was in pale comparison to the $161K I spent on my S65 AMG, but much frugal than my 760iL, at $123K. But with 450hp and AWD, it was a no brainer living in NY, where I get to have 4-Season protection(and fun..........)

BTW: The tapered rear section of the roof does impede on vision, but this is far from a deal breaker and you quickly get used to it. The outward visibility on the Standard model v. the L will be a bit better because of the shorter body. And I think we all that participate on this board have been trouble free with our cars.
This discussion has been closed.