Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    They aren`t that hard to get use to( headrests), but I do not find the back up buzzer thing to work quick enough...Just yesterday I barely hit a pole (no damage)as the back up buzzer didn`t activate itself quickly enough.. In my situation the leather upgrade was in two parts..The first was the center console and door armrests, and the other then was the headliner...I was fine until I saw another car with the headliner and thought It looked better....It would have been an extra thousand plus and in hind sight I wish I had gotten it....I highly recomend the solar sunroof fan...It works and the car is not nearly so hot, and has a fresh smell... The sunroof only opens and closed there is not a sliding shade...The regular radio is fine to my ear...I have never seen the fancy eleven thousand dollar interior, but think my interior is really special, and the quality of the leather is great--better than any I have ever seen..As I said, if you don`t really see the interior as something special and the Mercedes catches your attention, then go with your gut feeling...For me the Audi is just right....Tony
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Tony, the regular Audi interiors still put shame on other cars in it's class, also some costing 3 times as much (Maybach).

It's not just an A8 thing either. My daughter's(soon to be mine) S4 has a better interior than a SLK 55, BMW M3, and Porsche Boxster S. No maker in this class of cars gives better execution of quality of interior materials and fit/finish, both inside and out.

Another selling point for shrink to remember: The A8 is also one of the safest cars on the market today, in any class. With a total of 10 airbags, self-clinching seat belts, passenger recognition, 5-channel ABS w/ EBD(a world first), and accident prepardness/avoidness helped bring my insurance premium down a full $140 from the BMW 760iL. And this ain't even including the butt-saving quattro AWD...
  • shrinkrapshrinkrap Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for all of your useful comments (Tony, Reality, blkhemi)!

I had pretty much made up my mind in favor of the A8L over the M-B S 4MATIC, mainly based on my understanding of the benefits of Quattro over 4MATIC - even tho the technical discussion was w/ an Audi dealer (but confirmed by all of you!). I live in Baltimore, and altho we don't get as much winter road cover as in NY State, my area of the city is frequently not plowed out, and I have need of AWD transportation. After having driven my S430 for 5 yrs, as well as a newer acquisition of an SL500 for the past year, I have been very satisfied with the M-B interiors...so my attraction to the Audi is more for its performance and safety and less for the interior and instrumentation - which I'm sure I'll get used to.

I appreciate the one recommendation re full leather upgrade, which I shall pursue, in addn to the Premium pkg, wood/leather steering wheel and 19" wheels. I appreciate the comments about the fancy interiors, B&O stereo (the local Audi dealer had just delivered a car w/ that system the day I did a test-drive!), et al., but I am trying to contain cost - just a bit! Sorry to hear about Tony's "close call".

Thanks to all your replies - they have been really helpful!

shrinkrap
    And that's the beautiful thing about the A8. You can get into one with as little as $70k all the way to $150k. And the Standard base for $70k comes with so many standard features that it makes all of the high price options I bought seem frivolous. But I like my toys........
    Along with all the other observations, I would really hesitate before I got any wood steering wheel again--in my life--..Although they look good, the slippery surfase-which also gets oily--is poor...I must have had one for ten years previously, and now really dislike them...As you kept your previous car for a longer time frame, keep that in mind..Eric has a car similar to the car you plan on, so maybe he will chime in with a further report...Blkhemi is now up in the realm of Merc with knowledge that is really quit broad..So the thing about the Audi is that it is well balanced for all sorts of driving situations....I think we all want you to get what excites you and not make any errors that we can make you aware of, so when you decide what you want, remember to make that extra financial effort so that you have no regrets....tony
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    I completely agree. Every Audi rules it class in terms of interior and build quality. Like blkhemi, it took my W12 about six months to arrive. Three more months and he would have been full term. I treat him like one of my kids, if not better I am told by my sons (who by the way are forbidden to touch him, yet alone drive him). Anyway, at the time I ordered my W12, the B&O and the special interior packages where not available. However, my interior has the cream full leather package with a brown lining which still makes it exquiste. It is fully optioned for what was available for 2005 with 20" rims and it came to about $135,000 at the time. Well worth it as he has been completely reliable. Though all my Audis are, but he is expectional. I bought the extended warranty for the same reason as blkhemi as he said it right - alot of fancy electronics on that beast. The solar roof works very well as does the parktronic. I have gotten into the habit that if I am backing up or parking the car, I just make sure the stereo is off so I can concentrate. It has been very easy. Enjoy your A8. It is a special breed.
  • emaussemauss Member Posts: 151
    My '06 A8L is the first large-sized car I have owned....and I do not find it lacking. It doesn't handle like my porsche did, nor it as much "fun" to drive...but it is undeniably exquisitly comfortable. As far as my impressions of the interior...I couldn't ask for much more..(well, I did not order double-pane glass, and that was a mistake). I don't have the full leather, and when I buy another, I might include it...but then again, the interior is FINE the way it is.
    Mine stickered at about 81K, and IMNSHO, it was well worth it. At the time I felt that there were no other vehicles in the price range that could compare. At this point (8 months later) I am more convinced than before that this is so.

(e)
    Congrats on your A8. It is a very fine automobile. Why do you not like the double pane windows? Just curious. I have those on my W12 A8L and I like them.
    nononononono. I DID NOT order the dual-panes, and THAT was the mistake. I will definitely have that on my next car.

BTW, I have the wood/leather wheel and think it is great. There is enough leather for a secure grip (8-10 and 2-4)....and the birch wood with the cream interior is awesome.
    Although I understood you meaning, apparently you are getting as bad as me with my a/c description....You who taught me all the single letter meanings, and put me onto the d3 spot....Tony
    Maybe there was room for ambiguity, but I really don't see it.....but like the wise man said, "the purpose of words is to convey a meaning"....and if my meaning was misunderstood, my words did not do their job very well....

Oh well....

(original quote)
    "well, I did not order double-pane glass, and that was a mistake"
    LOL at the interchange between emauss and anthonyp!!!

I feel really honored that all of you have been writing in response to my original posting "A8L vs M-B..." of nearly one week ago! All of you have been very helpful in recommending various aspects of my car. Gee, if I don't order it pretty soon, not only will it have every option imaginable (well, I won't be as self-indulgent as blkhemi was!), but the agent from the leasing co. thru which I will be acquring the car will be very frustrated each time I add another option!

I'm interested to know why a number of you have recommended the double-pane glass. I must admit, I've never had that in a car, and possibly one never misses what one has never had; and yet, somehow, I can't imagine that this car would be so poorly insulated without the double-panes. However, I will at least consider it. So far, I'm shooting for quartz grey w/ platinum interior, w/ options of full leather interior, Alcantara headliner, wood/leather steering wheel, Premium pkg and 19" alloy wheels. Don't anyone try to talk me into the B&O stereo, special gourmet interior pkg's or adaptive cruise control!!!

Obviously, I'll have to let you all know when this car arrives! Again, thanks for your comments!

shrinkrap
    I, too felt that way about the dual-pane glass, and the car does not "NEED" it, but after experiencing the difference (in a friend's car), I think it a nice added touch.

...but how about the cooled front seats with massage? I have that option and find it very nice....

(E)
    I know how you pride yourself on the use of the English language, so I was just being a nusance, as I found the post to be very clear....Maybe we`r just having our `leg`pulled....I did get the thicker glass, and just for what it is worth, I was told that it was more from a break in point of view(vandel) than a sound barrier, although it would make things a bit quiter...I don`t use the cruise control radar sensor nearly as much as in cars past, so that should not be not missed too much.....As for the seat cooler, I can`t feel the blower fan air at all, but it does have a cooling pad of some sort that actually gets cold...I set it on two and am fine with it, but higher it gets clammy after a while.....Please let us know how things shake out. Tony
    Without the feature, the Audi is still one of the quietest cars on the road today. I tested an A8L without them, and the car was remarkably quiet, and this was a Sport Pack with the super aggressive tires and 20" rolling stock..

My car also packs 20" wheels. BUT, with the double windows, the car is ACTUALLY quieter than both Lexuses I've owned, and these cars are the kings of quiet motoring. There is absolutely no wind, road, and engine noise. So, for me having the W12 with the big exhaust, I can't tell you how it sounds(until I let ny windows down and let it roar- what a sound!)
    Since you have ordered the awesome S8 (I am waiting for my hot S6 due in November) to pair with my W12, I would like to direct you to the the Audi website @ audiusa.com. On the homepage, click the "Experience the S Models" on the lower middle right side of the screen. Then prepare to get a little taste of what awaits you in November...will definitely inspire you to seek immediate gratification. As they say Audi has spoken! Great video. Audiusa adding some nice European flare. Enjoy!
    I forgot one step: click on the S/RS model range firt that will take you to the "Experienc" section.
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    hi,
    i will prob be in the market for a new car in abt a year or so. i currently have an 03 BMW 745Li and the cabin is pretty quiet (but can be improved). one of the things i strive for when purchasing a car is cabin noise. how does the A8 compare to the 7 series (assuming you're driven one) when it comes to cabin noise?

thanks!
    My W12 is definetely quiter than my previous 760iL. No comparison. But this isn't to say the BMW is loud, which is not the case by any stretch of the imagination.

But, due to it's rigid and tight construction, the car is remarkably quiet. CG gives it the same points in quietness as the LS 430. And with the dual-pane glass, it's almost too quiet, erie in fact as does not feel like you're driving an automobile.
  • irishtirisht Member Posts: 2
    My A8L has been repaired 5 times now for this problem and 3 times for the sunroof. This will be the second time that the actual hinges are being replaced! I agree that Audi knows there is a problem but their only solution is to keep repairing the car, this time it has been at the dealers for a month!!
    What year is it?? I heard of the trunk hinge problem on 05 cars.....I thought it was a quick fix ....Tony ps no problems for me so far...
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    What year is it?

My Dad's A8L is a 2004.
    I have heard of this problem in the 05' A8s. I guess the motor from the supplier was not strong enough to handle the trunk. Audi quickly changed that. My A8 never had this problem, however, my Audi dealer General Manager and also someone that has become like family with some of the other guys and girls at my dealership automatically replaced it for me when I was having my routine oil change. He was proactive to make sure I did not incur a future problem. So, yes it was a peculiar problem on the 05' A8s.
    Maybe you both should try another dealer, if one is nearby..Sometimes that works.....It is a shame to have something like a poor mechanic or service advisor not care enough to get a problem dealt with properly...This is why I really check the dealer out before I purchase a car...If they are not profesional I don`t buy no matter what type of car it is , or how good the deal is....Tony
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    My Dad's problem wasn't with the motor - it was with the hinges. I guess they would bind up when closing just enough to trigger the pinch protection, and re-open the trunk. He had them swapped, and hasn't had the problem since.
    Ya' know, I've heard a lot of people with a lot of problems (both big and small), but so far , I haven't had a bit of problems with my car.

(e)
    Nor have I.....I have been pondering blkhemi`s choosing of the S Mercedes....No question it is premium....I just wonder about the tremendous hp..Personally I think our car`s design is not cumbersom and minimilistic, but Audi seems to be behind in hp, maybe in front for a year then behind for several years...Just like the Lexus, if they price the new one near the Audi, it would be a no brainer for me, similarly if the big mercedes is nearing the Bentley it would be a no brainer...A/C in house finally got fixed, but now it is cooling off outside....Tony
    Thankfully, I haven't had the hinge/motor problem of the power trunk. I saw some early '04's that experienced the problems, but I thought Audi had the problem resolved via recall.

Well, it looks like we're leaning over for the S600. After much debate and tiresome research, the car just offers everything that we're looking for. From the ultra-posh interior(altho clearly one-step behind the A8), to the elegant exterior and gadgets galore, this car is much improved over the W220 I owned. The wife has stated once again that as long as "her" S8 is not "disturbed", then I could have the car of my choice, just as long as it's not an A8-based car.

My daughter, who is a recent Doctorate grad from M.I.T., was actually intimidated by the immense amount of electronics and gadgetry. She has rode in it several times, but never thought about the electronics that control the car. This car is a definete huge step foward from the S4 Cab aspect. My son-in-law is happily enjoying his Q7. He had the roof rack and Audi ski-rack installed for this winter's family trip to New Hampshire in the snow season. I'm very impressed with the work that Audi has done on this SUV to differentiate it more from the VW and Porsche.

Until the S8 gets here in Oct, I'll be Audiless. Or not. I'll have the my daughter's S4 until I get it sold, which of course, won't take long in here in New York because of the car's rarity on L.I.

BTW: Great news on your A/C Tony.
    BLK - hi- I am curious about the S seats..Do you have the ones that are active? What about the comfort in comparison to the A ? And are they really firm as the last ones were? Personally I have gotten to really appreciate the A seats, except for the fan as I don`t feel any air going through the perferations....I certainly like the S and am sure you are happy, as I would be....I do think your wife will be pleased with the Audi 8, and I would have gotten that if it were available...Remembering that she was the Mercedes fan, I bet you`l be plotting to swap cars as she has a weak spot----Bet she doesn`t go for it this time...Tony
    I haven't heard of any more problems than other HELMs, and way less than any 7-Series and S-Class. I am very wary of the 7-Series as I had one that basically imploded. I see Audi light years ahead of BMW and MB in quality and reliability especially on the new models. The surveys won't reflect this until the 2007 and 2008 years. And there is no way the new Lexus compares to the A8 in style or quality.
    The S seats are very supportive. While more confining than the A seats, they do hold you in place better.

As to my wife, it's only a matter of time before she wants to swap cars. She is the one telling me to go with the S600, which I'm fine with anyway. I'll have that S8 in no time, especially when she goes back to Holland this fall.
    I figured that was the plan...Again just an overall analysis--- How does the Mercedes feel overall, such as does it appear larger inside --an objective observation on your part please....Thanks Tony
    The S does not appear overly larger than the A8L. As a matter of fact, the rear seat area doesn't even compare. Really, no car in this class compares to the A8L's rear seating area.

The car is just as comfortable as the A8, but the interior craftsmanship is a notch below Audi, again, what car measures up to the A8's interior in this class? Not a one.

Mercedes has infused much technology in the S, for instance the radar-cruise that can stop completely and resume speed with the flow traffic, without the drivers intervention. The car is also one of the safest cars on the road today. Still, no car in it's class has the accident-sensing system MB has installed on this car. The car senses a minor or major accident, then prepares the car accordingly. This is how this car continues to earn great marks on all government and independent crash testing, but again, so does Audi.

MB has brought this car out of the grave with the W220 platform to the W221 platform that actually makes this car like it's worth it dough. For me, even with the inpending release of the LS 460, only the MB and Audi will do. No car offers the complete blend of luxury, performance, and ease of use(in this class, this counts more than ever with the ever-present increases in electronics and rotating knobs to control EVERYTHING).
    You are very gracious to give such a fine report...I do think Mercedes is leading the way with the fine radar-cruse, and I would imagine the night vision would be handy particularly if it were able to see trough a heavy rain...I could have used that down in Florida on 95..Sometimes it is just a torrent of rain and it would be easy to run into the back of someone. We`l be here to welcome you back in a month or so when the S8 gets in....I really think that will be an exciting ride for you....Tony
    I continue to follow with interest your various postings about the A8L, especially in comparison with other HELM's. I have become a convert, giving up my MB S430 at the end of next month and ordering the '07 A8L - a special order, since the car with the colors and options I want isn't to be found in this country; and doing so with a buyer's agent at CarQ, who was wonderful to work with when I leased the MB and saved me considerable expense. I am just praying that we have no inclement weather here in Baltimore before the Audi makes its appearance, probably not until Dec. - since my "fallback" car is a MB SL500. (Well, I guess life could be worse!).

I'll keep you posted re progress! shrinkrap
    Congratulations on your A8L. Tell us about what you ordered, colors, etc. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
    Your car may come in earlier...It took around ten weeks or so last year....It`s interesting how they almost make you order the car as the things you do want have to be special ordered...Your car will be special......Tony
    Congrats on your choice for the A8L. As with Reality, Tony, Eric, and myself, I'm sure you'll find much to be happy with.

Look at me. Instead of just having a S600, I have to have another A8(S8 in this case) because the car is just that great. Not many cars in this class, maybe not in the industry, can say that.
    Here's to those inquiring minds! I feel that the car has been designed by committee, since I have incorporated some of your various ideas. Actually, I've been a bit over-inclusive re options, thinking that I can always delete one or 2 of them should one or the other greatly slow down the assembly process. BTW, the comment that it might take 10 weeks as opposed to 4-5 months was welcome news!

In any event: the A8L will be in Quartz gray w/ platinum interior. [Parenthetical remark: I find the Audi color spread to be too austere...example: if I were ordering a Quattroporte, I'd opt for the luscious maroon w/ beige interior!] Options=Premium pkg, full leather (which includes the Alcantara headliner), 19" alloy wheels, wood/leather steering wheel, dual-paned glass, ventilated/massaging front seats, and dual-rear climate control. And, yes, you're right that I don't very frequently carry around a full complement of passengers, but those who will have the benefit of being in back will be quite comfortable! Even the one sitting behind me as driver, since I always need full legroom (being 6'5"). So, I'm getting excited!

Thanks for all your useful postings. I'll let you know how things progress.

shrinkrap
    Sounds wonderful....My last car was maroon, and I can tell you ``you dodged a bullet``...Man was it hard to keep clean, but when clean lookes quite striking...Although you`l be happy you got the ventilated front seats, you`l also feel a little taken advantage of as the air circulation really can`t be felt...The car is wonderful, along with the fit and finish...Amazing they could make it and get it over here so nicely.....Do visit more often, as I personally thought you had lost interest....Congradulations Tony ps as for the rest of `the band of brothers` Hi
    O. K Blkhemi I made he five hundred seventy five mile drive to Miami, and the next day maybe a storm....Nice greeting...The car drove wonderfully and I kept it above eighty as much as I could which was alot...Took just five minutes less than eight hours....Blkhemi you said there was something you did that made a long trip go by more quickly and I sure would like to know??....Man that was a long drive...There are plenty of Audis here and SoBe, but I rarely seea Lexus...Tony
    140mph+
    575 miles= A much shorter trip and jail time to follow(lol)

You're a brave man. You drove right in the face of Ernesto.

My buddy has an '05 A8 w/19" wheels and he came to pick me up for our golf workout today. I was surprised at how remarkably well the car took bumps in stride despite the low-pro's. Very nice ride with less body lean that my W12 had, but the shorter wheelbase does have answer bumps with more of a snap than does the L models.

You won't see many Lexus' here in L.I. Mostly MBZ's and a few BMW's.
    I came out of the office the other day and there was a "bulls eye" crack in my windshield. I do not have glass insurance, but I called my agent anyway. He suggested a repair service that really seems to work well. I called Audi and got the cost of $600 plus tax installed for a new windshield, but they, too suggested repair..at least to try it first. I will not use a third part to replace the whole unit...too many possibilities for complications.

I have an appointment for repair and will keep you posted.

(e)
    Sorry about the accident...As you remember `the flying tread` and it was upsetting....I did think the six hundred dollar charge would be reasonable, as many people had to pay a thousand at Lexus....I have been told that the repair was the thing to do at first, and I have also seen them take a dent out without then any noticable marking..Which is amazing to me.....I saw my first Mercedes 550s parked a few spaces from me ...Man I thought it looked great, and the fender flares just fine..Strange how the photos were so exagerated....I had a good view all around and could barely see inside, but it looked first class to me ....The owner had unfortunately dented the left rear fender flare,and I sure could imagine the anguish...I told the conciere about Contice(sp) and what a fine job they did for me, so hope he gets the word....Still love our car....Tony ps I also observed the regular lot of RR Bentley, Porsche, CL, and on and on---I have the best parking space (ha)
    I have a call in to Audi for a new windscreen....

(e)
    Yes, a star on particular windscreens can be costly. The so called star on my '01 S500 was about 200 bucks to get replaced because the MB's are supposed to have a triple laminate windscreen. I don't know if I was taken back or not, but I've heard it does vary model to model, make to make
    Dunno if we are talking about the same type of "star". I am referring to a crack in the windshield that generated a star-type pattern.

(e)
    Was humored by the discussion of the 3-pointed "star" vs the wretched star-crack in the Audi windshield! BTW, my "agent" tells me that my '07 A8L is now formally in the "special order" roster. I am just hoping that Oktoberfest doesn't spell trouble! Another 3-4 months from now, I will inform all of you how satisfied I am with the new 4-interlocking circles which will grace my garage!

Which leads to a question which I was recently asked: what is the significance of the 4-circle Audi trademark?

shrinkrap
    It could mean You Me(Tony) Blkhemi and Emass(Eric)arms interlocked face into the wind discussing how pleaded we are with the Audi, but I really always think of the Olympic symbol Tony
    There are quite a number of them here in Miami, and today I saw three or four...Although a lovely car, to me I think it is a bit too chromed up..Maybe it`s the three hole circles , but a bit much...The Audi really is quite simple therefore the lines aren`t chopped up...I hope I have enough courage to get up to the Bentley dealer...I would like to find some fault so I can move on ....Tony
This discussion has been closed.