Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    The interlocking rings that has been Audi's trademark for over 60 years has quite a bit of history behind it.

The rings, which were formed under a 4 company deal as Audi traded hands quite frequently(even spent some time with Daimler-Benz), has a significant meaning.

August Horch, the founder of the company in 1899, had to eventually over time find new partners in the fledgling brand. Over time, DKW and Wanderer signed on to help Horch out until 1930 when he was ousted from the company that he handedly started. Then time pressed foward through the turbulent WWII era, which by then founder Horch was forced to withdraw using his family name on his own venture. So he tuned to the latin meaning of his name, viola: Audi. The very people that chopped him, he ended up helping. The 3 companies formed Auto Union. And that is where the interlocking rings come from, the bonding of each company until which they were forced to sell to VW. But the company didn't retract the companies unique moniker.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
  • emaussemauss Member Posts: 151
    In other words.....

On June 29th 1932, four carmakers based in the German state of Saxony merged. Audiwerke, DKW, Horch and Wanderer all joined to become Auto Union AG. This new company would have its head offices in Chemnitz, Germany as of 1936 and would be able to serve the entire spectrum of market segments. The symbol for this company was four interlocking rings – one to represent each company

...stolen with reverence from: http://www.scripophily.net/auunakare19.html
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Well another eight hour plus trip ...Plenty of time to appreciste the Audi, and think of comprables...I really don`t find the tire noise to be a part of the handling and driving experience, therefore for me a really quiet car is more preferable...the Lexus I previously owned was a tad bit quiter, but not enough to make a difference...The Audi cruse control radar really works , even in a downpour..When it gets really hard, after a while it will dis engage, but the Lexus stops at the firs drop (that was a four year old car)...The cooler bos in the Lexus is just that--a cooler box--The a/c vent is routed to it and the resulting cool air then keeps things cool, not cold...the German refrigerator really is a refrigerator, and will freeze things if adjusted too low...It does take up more trunk space, therefore some people take them out...All in all neither is just right..

We varied our routine this trip, and pulled off in a really nice rest stop thirty miles south of Jacksonville...Got our Cuban bread with fixings (really crumbly crust) and hard boiled eggs and pretended it was fifty years ago...The picnic table was way off the highway, so it was fun....Still a long day... Gas was two dollars seventy cents Tony
  • shrinkrapshrinkrap Member Posts: 17
    To emauss and blkhemi:

Many thanks for your info about the origins of the Audi marque. I knew that I could count on you! I'm glad that there is still good enthusiasm abt the Audi on this msg board: since I follow the chatter on the HELM board as well, all the chatter there at present seems to be about Lexus vs BMW or M-B, and Audi seems to get lost in the shuffle. I was beginning to think that I may have made a mistake!

But, I don't believe so. I am trying to be patient until my A8L arrives, sometime in Dec.

shrinkrap
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    Does the A8L 2004 have ventilated (air conditioned) seats?
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    Yes.
    I hesitate to post this, but I got an e mail warning about not using the cruse control if it was raining as it could cause hydro-planing . i do not know if it was just about cruse control without the self correcting breaking system or what, but I have used the cruse control regularly while it was raining, and just wanted to make others aware this may not be a good idea.....Tony
    Believe that warning could be true with most cruise control's on ice and/or snow and of course oily tarmac with water in particular. However with Quatro, anti-skid etc etc etc, the Audi is one of the safest sedans out there for slipperly conditions. Hydroplaning is also more prevelant with wide tread tires which many of us run today. Much like a wide water ski. This comment comes from a former North Dakota driver who regularly ran 80 / 90 mph on snow and ice (and is still living). <(-;
    And to add, this comment comes from a driver that lives on Long Island, NY that drove his $130k '06 W12 in a 5" deep snow drift just this past winter, with the adaptive cruise control on. In the LIFT position, this car took some roads better than some high-zoot SUV's. And this is with summer tires and 20" rims. Talk about traction. Thank the Quattro Gods.

BTW: Hydro-planning can happen with or without the cruise set as witnessed by me on a 100mph sweeper coming from the LI Sound one Sunday, but Quattro won't let it break loose, along with the anti-skid/roll over midigation.

Tony and everyone else, the S8 will port on Sept 30 and will spend two days at the dealer for prep. The S600 arrives Oct 15 already to go.
    Well after sseing the s550 the other day (up close and all around) I was impressed enough to post same--with you in mind- and thinking about how you may talk your wife out of the S8...I don`t think it will be near as hard, but maybe a bit as I really like the S or A 8....The thing about the cruise controll and the rain, i mentioned it as the author was very mindful of the hydroplaning...I guess if a car had just c/c it would make sense that if the front wheels started to slide, and the car did something to counter that it could then put it into a slide...I see cars regularly--almost every trip-- that have turned over, or something happened with them crashed over on the embankment...Further nothing apparent that would have caused the accident other than possibly a flat....Although I can`t give any spefific, just a word of caution as I care for all of you even though we haven`t met...Tony ps I personally am not going to use the c/c in a downpour , but probably in a light rain
  • bkrausebkrause Member Posts: 2
    I am currently in the market for a real lux car. I have set my sights on eihter the 7 or the A8. I really like the styling of the 7 better, however, the idrive and the quaility issues are a bother. I am attracted to the A8 due to the complete package including the revierse snobbery. My significant issue is with the local dealer. I know numeroua people that have sworn off audi due the local dealer (rated 250+ in raking mention on this forum). The dealership was just sold AGAIN. 3 times in 3 years) do I risk it? Lot o money with no support.
    BK
    Dear Worried:

I can understand your dilemma exactly. Let me put your mind to rest. I am someone who drove a BMW 540i for awhile, and am currently at the end of a lease on a MB S430, which I love. My reason for turning it in is to get AWD, and, for me, it was a decision betw the Audi A8L and the S550 4MATIC. That was a hard decision, and although there ARE features of the MB which I prefer, my decision was made up in favor of the Audi.

I think that if you can decide on the car you want, you should move forward, regardless. Doing your homework, test drives, etc, is the hard part. Once that is behind you, you should think outside of the box. I am doing my negotiations for the Audi w/ a wonderful woman who is a buyer's representative, whom I used to acquire the MB. She will get the best pricing and financing arrangements via her contacts with dealers all over the country. If it is convenient to get the car from a dealer near you, she'll do so; if she can get a better price elsewhere, she'll do that and get it shipped to you. My Audi is priced at $1000 over invoice - and that is for a factory order car -, which is pretty good (and much better than the average person could do).

Bottom line: don't worry about the source of the car, the local dealership, etc. Think more globally. As for the particulars: I'm not sure whether I can give here the name of the car-buying co. that I'm using, although it IS public information, and I got the name from the CR Car Buying Guide 5 yrs ago when getting the MB. (Maybe the board monitor can inform me whether or not I can release that info...) When choice of a vehicle is hard enough, there doesn't have to be any other impediment standing in your way.

I hope that that is helpful and reassuring! Best of luck.

shrinkrap
    I have thought about your situation for a day or so, and feel that if the dealer is poor that I wouldn`t get the Audi...My car has been totally trouble free , but for me knowing the dealer will take care of me makes alot of difference in the ownership experience..Audi is making an effort to improve the brand, and from what little experience I have had , they are succedinig...I wish you luck Tony
  • bkrausebkrause Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the insight. I am going to hold off until spring to see if the local dealership turns themselves around. I really like the 8 and I am willing to wait it out to get the car rather than settle for something else.

Thank you BK
    The S8 will dock here on 9/29 and it will be all mine on 10/2. I just can't wait. Audi sent us an interactive video yesterday to go over. The specs on this car are mind boggling.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with my purchase.
    Congrats. I can't say that there isn't just a bit of envy on my part...however, (1) I haven't been the owner of an Audi yet, so I need to get my feet wet 1st; and (2) I think that I will be perfectly satisfied with the lower powertrain of the A8L. I guess I'll see.

I'd be interested to know how long the order of your car took. I am estimating that I have another 3 months to wait (it's a sold order). I lose my S430 in 3 days (lease-end), and that will leave me w/ the SL500...I am praying for NO snow for the next 3 months!

shrinkrap
    "...I am praying for NO snow for the next 3 months!"

If you're anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line, fat chance. ;) Just remember to keep that ESP on at all times in that rear wheel slip happy SL when it snows, maybe even when it rains.

BTW, the order for the S8 is taking about 5 months. I plaved the order mid April and it is arriving as promised the first days(not week) of October.

The power from the newly direct-injected Audi 4.2L is more than enough. With 350hp on tap, the car moves to 60 in less than 5.8secs, plenty fast for our stop and go world.

The main reason were going for the S8 is to fill the void left buy the CLS 55 when we sold it the first of this year. The S600 will more than suit my needs and fill the void left by my beloved W12. I must really love my daughter....
    I know excitement is building, and the S is going to be lots of fun, and I think you will appreciate the shorter overall feel....A really nice car Tony
    When I last used the a8, the flip up and down screen sounded as though the ratchet mechanism gears are out of whack...I nudged the screen and it closed, but I am afraid this is quickly going to be a problem...Now when I get back to Charleston I will see how good the new dealership is, and if my risk ,taking a chance, is correct..

Went to a classic car show and was impressed with the rich colors that were used long ago...One thing of note was even the black cars that had yellow wheels were outstanding...In fact many of the old classics had yellow painted spoke wheels and all loooked great...Tony
    I think I'll enjoy the S8 better, altho my Sport-tuned W12 was exhilarating to say the least.

On your Nav screen, that's a pretty interesting thing. Are the noises consistant? I rarely used the Nav in the W12 as I don't venture to many places I'm not familiar with.

On another note, I will have the S8 tomorrow. This will be a day of absolute enjoyment.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Let us know how first driving impressions of your awesome S8. Again, congrats! Too bad you had to part with your W12. Still the best in the segment. Of course, I am bias. My new S6 has arrived, but I have to wait a couple days before adoption. Needs to be PMI'd and other personal touches added. But it looks stunning.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I haven't looked carefully at an A8 until a guy in a late model A8 and I kept passing back and forth coming up Rt 4 from the Block Island Ferry Sunday night. The Audi looked great. Couldn't tell if it was one of the rare Ws or not.

With my interest whetted, I checked out various forums on Edmunds. Everone of you seem to love these 80K ubersedans. But a quick look prices of used A8's tells me that all is not right in the Audi world. It looks to me that a used A8 with a new MSRP of at least 10-15K more than a Jaguar XJ has roughly the same resale value as the (unfairly) dreaded Jaguar. What gives with this? Maybe the only A8 to buy is an '04 in the mid-40's? Blkhemi is a savvy guy. I'd love to hear some justification for this apparently lousy resale. Just look at Cars.com for further info.

(As a side note, a local Bentley dealer says that even the Flying Spur isn't comparable to the A8L W. He says that the Bentley while AWD does not have quattro and he prefers the A8 for this and other reasons.)
    Islandguy, historically, in the USA, the big Audi's have horrid resale values(except the rare and powerful W12's). Why? Plenty of variables. One, it is the lowest seller in the HELM market in the US, thus not making it enough of a popular model to warrant a lofty second-hand price.

Then there is the Audi name, admittedly by me, not quite as catchy in the US as in the rest of the world(please omit the Europe and Far/East doesn't count rhetoric, people).

Then of course the A8. It's just not as desired as frequent as the vaunted LS or S-Class.

But conversely, the S and RS model Audi's far outpace a comparable M and AMG ride(in terms of resale value, and in many aspects, performance) because of the absolute unattainablility and scarcity. Even Audi admits to keeping the model low in production to boost the value of the rides.

Such a shame that, in this country, a car company that's so careful in it's designs as Audi can't quite make the big car catch on. Most of the problem is relished on the A8 as the A6 4.2 currently resales for more than a GS430, M45, and RL, cars that are all it's Japanese competition. And it's on par with the class leader E500(the E550 data is N/A as it is a new model). Folks, this car is not the best selling luxury car in the world for nothing. And the A4 is one of the standouts in the class, particularly since it offers more variants than any other car in it's class. And with the latest round of inquiries about the interest of the car, Audi has no choice but to make sure they get this one right, also the A3.

As to the Bentley, that car doesn't have quattro. And at almost 6k pounds and a $180k base price(try finding one at this price), one would think that they'd drop the hammer and install the real deal and not an Volvo-based Haldex system.

The car also doesn't offer more in terms of useable features over a comparible W12 other than the even more supple interior and it's vaunted claim of a "195mph top speed". I think my W12's 155mph was illegal enough in this country.

I certainly prefer the styling of the A8 over the high-roof long body FS.

And the Bentley almost became my car to have, until I connected with the S600. WOW!! MBZ did not leave ANYTHING untouched in this car. Trust me, I had a week to look over the owner's S600 of our MB dealer. The Bentley just did not warrant enough features and useablility over the $50k less, faster, sleeker, sexier 2007 Mercedes-Benz S600. Folks, for the 4-door super-lux sedans, the S600 and W12's are the best in the league by country mile.
    Those folks who part with $80K/$100K/$150K + are not typically shopping for a previously owned vehicle or necessarily concerned about cash flow or in need of top resale value as it related to major buying decisions. As blkhemi indicates, the cache for Audi does not currently exist compared to MB, BMW, Bentley etc. That is good news for those who understand the excellent qualities of the 2004 and later big Audi, can appreciate a previously owned auto and will benefit by a wonderful buy on an outstanding automobile. After two Lexus I am now the proud owner of an Outstanding A8L with 40,000 miles @ $44K, 19" with Michelin Pilots and all the options. Happiness is half price.
  • emaussemauss Member Posts: 151
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Blkhemi, thanks.

As a side point, can you give us the run down on why Quatto is superior to the Haldex system?
    The S8, in short, is phenomenal. I just returned from a short jaunt to the city. I've finally got that seat comfort setting that took me a month to acheive in the W12, due to the numerous adjustments. This car is the best large sport-sedan in it's class, hands down, even over the over-hyped AMG and M models.

About quattro, this is the best going AWD system on any passenger car on the road today(excluding SUV's super-capable 4WD). For one, the system can detect, evaluate, and adjust wheelslip to any one wheel(not having to wait axle-spin, which splits the difference between accident, and no accident), TRANSPARENTLY! No other AWD system does this. Secondly, the hardware thats baked into the systems are basically bulletproof. And that's why you don't hear of any Audi's with AWD problems, from the smallest(TT Quattro), to the outright largest W12..
    Even so, the cache is growing. You can see it in Los Angeles, where Audi is probably the hottest auto to own right now. It also depends on which resale value system you use.
    It is nice to think others are beginning to appreciate Audi..Please tell me what you mean about the resale value system you speak of...Thanks Tony
    Hi Blkhemi

What do you notice as different between the W12 vs S8....I would imagine a bit more tossable,,,Tony
    The long and short of it is that the S8 is an entirely different beast. Sure they share the same overall construction, but the S8 should be considered the first mass-market 4-door Lambo as it drives as tho it's on rails.

While the W12 is the absolute standard in ride/handling balance, the S8 is the reigning king of sport/comfort. Even on New York's urbine streets, the car still doesn't let ruts and bumps filter through the cabin, just like a regular A8, despite the ultra low 35 series summer rubber. I chose the Ghost Grey(6 layers of paint with 2 clearcoat- $2k paint option well worth it) with the matching interior with the all-suede ceiling and seat inserts and leather dash and door panels.

The interior of this car is a study of magical assembly and craftsmanship, as with all A8's. I ordered the Euro market-only flat-bottomed steering wheel to free up even more legroom. \

And the burble that exits quad exhaust upon start-up is elecrifying(think Ferrari snap, crackle , and pop, but more subdued like a Porsche flat-6) is worth the $115k check itself.
    Thanks---That sums it up nicely.....On my car, as I wash it myself, I notice the paint to be much higher quality than my past Lexus , Mercedes, or BMW...I didn`t get any more than the sold only color choice, which was a bit more itself...Interesting how you notice such a change between the w12 and S8....I look forward to your opinions of the Mercedes vs the W 12, as the S8 really doesn`t compare...Tony
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I am going to look at both tomorrow. I put a deposit on the S8 to hold it. The S6 looks hot in black, but I think that I would like a larger vehicle. I hope I get to drive both! :shades:

I hate to give up my Range Rover Sport Supercharged. I may have gotten used to sitting up high. :confuse:
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    I have a 2006 A8 almost a year old and I love it. My next car will be an S8 ( I only did a 27 mo. lease on the A8). I bet that your car is stunning in that color but what do you do about stone chips since my A8 has just as many as all of my other German cars due to their water-based paint? Hopefully you don't have any yet but it is a fact of life on our crappy roads here in the northeast.
    Yes the car is absolutely radiant in that paint scheme. Audi's brochures don't do it justice, any of Audi's colors for that manner.

As to your paint chip issue, yes the Germans paint come in wonderful colors, but it comes with a cost of being very vulnerable to everyday things in the atmosphere that lesser quality paint takes in stride.

For the chip problem, the last time I experienced it was with my '01 S500. That car would flake if a fly hit it hard enough. But with the previous S65 and 760iL, those cars stood up very well to the harsh environment, due certainly to the extra cost of the paints that I chose for these cars.

On to the W12, it was the same thing. Audi has a special option paint called Absolut Blaque, in which I purchased as it is ccated 6 TIMES with 3 clearcoat. They say the paint is so good, you won't have to ever wax it. I haven't, and it still gleams as the day I bought it.

3M makes a clear adhesive that applies to the nose of the car that is very transparent and will not harm the finish of the paint and is removable. I've put this great product on the nose of my '06 Accord and Jeep SRT as those are primary run-about vehicles and with this NY winter approaching, salt trucks rumbling, snow drifts abound, it's a no-brainer for me.

Also, whenever I do drive the Audi or Vette in the winter time, no matter what, if the sky looks gray, I always put the nose bra on, which I purchased through the Audi dealer as the aftermarket ones are either non-existant or ill-fitting, The bra from Audi was about 200 bucks, but well worth it.

Hopefully, you'll be able to enjoy that S8 rush that I've been grinning about for the last 6 days. The wife is non-too-happy as the S600 is not here yet, but it is on schedule.

Tony P, looks like I'll be heading down I-95 anyway, as my brother is ever-persistant on me joining him on his first ride on the new yacht in the Keys. I'll honk at you when I drive by in the S8 in NC.
    I just received my new S6 in Silver. Since I own an A8L W12, I wanted car not as big as an S8, but with the same gorgeous styling. I have not been disappointed. The S6 is basically flawless so far. I am not pushing the car at this time as I want the V10 to get a little broken in first... and what a sound! However, the car wants me to go. Still, in city driving, especially here in LA, it is very civil and refined. What I love about Audi is that you get a beast with Ritz Carlton like behaviour. Very well mannered, elegant, and refined, but ready to kick some you know what if you have to. Again, I give little credence to car magazines. All the journalists stated how the S6 is jarring of a ride. This is completely false!!!!! Even on our crappy, pot-hole roads here in LA, the car is smooth and planted. Yes, it is somewhat more stiff as it sits lower and more forward due to its extended wheel arches, but the ride is very smooth and refined. The brakes take some time to get used to as they stop on dime. The interior, well it is an Audi, no more needs to be said. But Audi has upped the ante there as well in its latest models. The one piece buckets especially for the S6 are extremely comfortable and hold you well. I opted for the leather dash (which is a must) and it gives the interior even more elegance.

I hope you have chance to drive one, but here in LA it would be next to impossible unless an owner of one lets you as all have been presold at this time.

Good luck
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    After I left you the message yesterday I took a nice Sunday drive out past my Audi Dealer where he had a new S6 and an S8 on the lot. They both were beautiful, the S8 was Daytona Grey I believe and it had a sold sticker on it.

I have the 3M shield on a BMW that I own, it has worked OK but I still have received some chips above the shield on the hood. As you stated I just think that chipping paint is one of the trade offs for these cars although I will special order the paint that you mentioned when I get my S8 next year.

Did you get the full leather? I would love to know if it is worth it. It is only a $2500 option on a Porsche but I believe it is $4500 on an Audi.
    Took the car into the dealer to get the mmi screen fixed...First and only problem so far...'As the dealer is relatively new, I think they are very short of mechanics, so it will be fixed starting on the 23rd....I can help the screen open and close,in the meantime....Blk, an your trip down take a left onto 26 and check out Charleston....I`l be down South middle of Nov if you get that far....Tony
    The full leather option starts at 3700 bucks on '07 A8/S8. And yes, yes, yes, the price was well worth it. On my W12, I actually had the best interior that Audi makes, which at the tune $15k, it had well better been. Audi can actually option out a A8 to $150k. And that's why I love Audi, they have everything to suit your needs, from a $68k A8 to a loaded to the tilt $150k+ W12.
  • swlswl Member Posts: 5
    I have been reading your forum for a long time and have enjoyed it. I got my "base" Audi A8 in Feb and now have 11000 miles on it with no problems. The only extras I have are the sports and premium package but the car is fabulous. I got the black with black interior. I previously had a 2002 A6 4.2 which was great, but the A8 is exceptional. I can only imagine how great the W12's are but I love my "poor man's A8". Safe driving to all.
    Black on black has been long my color combo of choice for most of my cars.

And yes the W12's are not with peer, but I enjoyed the A8 so much that sometimes I feel that the W12 is a little overkill. And for pound-for-pound, no car in it's class offers as many standard features and better value over Audi, particularly quattro and a host of safety equipment.

But now with the S8, it's entirely different ball game. This car is the sleeper in the super-sedan arena. I snuck up on an unsuspecting 911 today, and to his surprise, he got taken over by a 4600 pound 4 door Audi, he saw the word"V10" and the letter "S", and decided to stand back.

It's always good to hear that Audi has gotten over the '04 woes with the A8, as witnessed by you having 11k trouble-free miles. Tony P has a minor issue with his nav, and I think Eric and Reality are enjoying their's without stress, so all is well...
    I haven't given any recent updates about my special order A8L since I've had no info to impart, but I've been avidly following the story line here. I began to cringe when I heard about some of your experiences re paint issues - which I really never had with my S430 - which then prompted me to speak to the dealership today to make inquiry of Audi about whether I have any paint options at this point (the order was placed 5 weeks ago). Thanks to blkhemi for his info.

All of those who have posted msg's lately have spoken in glowing terms about the Audi A8L and its close relatives. This makes me feel comfortable, since this will be my 1st Audi product. Would it be too much to ask whether those of you who have words of wisdom to share would be willing to complete the satisfaction questionnaire in Edmunds.com, so that others might read what you experts have to say about your cars? I believe there are 2 such surveys there already.

One last idea. I was smiling when reading what a recent posting had to say about the seats. I opted to order the full leather upgrade and Alcantara headliner, and I did so in the grey/platinum combo. I can't wait to see that! Since then, I have acquired a wonderful windowpane cashmere throw for the back seat, in grey/platinum. I am now trying to convince my tailor to create the Colleczione Audi of suits and sports clothes in various fabrics of the same hues. Oh, those men and their toys!

shrinkrap
    One more week to go before the mmi is repaired...During the last week or so, it is painful to have to help the mmi get out of it`s cubicle, and I am constantly on guard for something else to come along....It makes you think about these wonderful cars and all the electronics and the cost if it were to be out of warranty...A shame that our dealer is so shorthanded with the mechanic....Tony
    Has anyone had custom carpet made to cover the very light colored carpet that is standard and so easily soiled on the A8L? I am considering having this done for the rear passenger compartment to cover the hump as well as the floor. Also up front to cover the sides of the front tunnel coming off the floor. Ideas?

The fitted rubber mat product from Audi seems a bit utilitarian and still does not cover the rear hump or sides up front.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    FYI: My Dad just got a recall notice for his A8L; something about the airbag (I haven't read the notice yet).

If anyone hasn't received the letter yet, you may want to call your dealer.
    I would love to see those beautiful suits and sports clothes. I wonder if the Audi Collection has thought of the idea at this level of accessories? It would be nice. You have beautifully outfitted your A8L from your description. The A8L tied for 1st in the Strategic Vision regarding how much owners love their cars. Couple other Audi models did the same in their respective classes. So, enjoy your A8L. As they say it is a "Thinking Man's Luxury Car."
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    I own a '98 A8 4.2L Quattro. Transmission appears to be dead at 120K miles. Trans shop quoting 4K + labor to replace...sure the dealer is more. Is fixing this car just pouring good money after bad? After reading through the postings, it seems A8 trans are a nightmare.
    "After reading through the postings, it seems A8 trans are a nightmare"

My friend, that can be said about any car in this class.

But since squeezed 120k miles out of it before it went kaput, that's a testament in it's self.

4k seems about right for a transmission shop. Is this a new tranny? I say this as Audi wants about $7k to fix. Also have them check the quattro transfer case FIRST, as sometimes on the older A8's, the transfer case can fail and it may seem that it's the transmission instead.

How's the quality of the car? Are all of the electrical systems working properly? I ask this as you may be pouring money into a dead horse, many you may end up spending more than just on the tranny if after 120k miles there are other problems.

If there are other probs, sell it immediately and get a pre-owned '05 with the CPO 100k mile warranty.
    What's the scoop on the desireability of a 2005? Was the last major change the 04? THX
    There were no major changes or updates to the '05, but some '04 models did experience MMI failures(as what my friend Tony is experiencing) that were taken care of under warranty.

And since this is a first model year for the new A8, I'd stray away from the '04's, and this is why I waited to buy an '06, altho the '05's have proven to be just as good.

There are pleanty of CPO '05's to go around. I'd definetely look into it if the '98 is getting a little hard to keep up..
This discussion has been closed.