Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• alandparkeralandparker Member Posts: 7
    I HAVE owned this 2000 A8 (no L) since 2002. SEcond owner after off lease. First thing I did was take it to the local Audi dealer and look over every square inch. When I arrived to pick it up, he was visibally dissappointed that they had found NOTHING. I'd have to do some reasearch to get theEXACT figure below what you and would have expected for a purcchase price. . . it was far lower than that.

In any event, I just purchase a brand new R500 MB and the Audi is now by "beater" . .. I'm torn, I'd like to keep it just "cause I don't need to be careful with it anymore. MY new R500 is black on macadamia with EVERY conceivable option. CAn your send pix, here? If not, go to my westsite.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Was there a problem with your A8? And who was this post intended for?

I say this as you didn't leave a name for reference.

BTW: I just purchased an S600. BUT! I will always have an Audi in the garage!!
    And I thought the W12's seats were great. But whoa, these things make a La-Z-Boy seem uncomfortable..

They hug and support you in all the right places. The lateral and lumbar support that they provide is something akin to a Ferrari or Lambo.

But the rest of the car tells the story. I'm now sold on the SWB, particularly when it's time to park. Even with the Parktronic sensors front and rear, the W12 was a chore to parallel park in busy NYC streets. And this shorter wheelbase moves better with more responsive transitions, but at the cost of ride quality. This is the L's strongest point, along with the tremendous room on the inside. But the ride is far from harsh, just more taut, like a German car really is supposed to be. The Audi air-suspension does an excellent job of filtering bumps and ruts, and despite the low-pros, the car never feels jittery or jarring.

And man can this thing carve a corner. You'd think 4k pounds worth of aluminum would hurl over in the corners, but not this car. It asks to be driven hard in the twisties, and I ablige with a huge smile.

On another note, my daughter tells me that the oil change message popped on for the first time today in the W12. She freaked out because I told her that whatever happens to this car, she has to let me know. So off to the Audi dealer I go for the free scheduled maintenance, and to my surprise, the owner of the dealership was there. And what does he pull up in? A German-spec W12 SHORT WHEELBASE!! I thought, why didn't they import this car? Then I discovered that would've rendered the S8 pointless. But he was just as amazed to see an S8 and W12 on the lot today that I owned. He was taken back by all of the special order stuff on both cars. He was really interested in the zooted-up W12 with it's leather-everything interior and Bang & Olufsen sound system.

He checked the records of all W12's in the states, and it appears that this is the only one in the US in this color combo/interior scheme. That's pretty interesting when you come to think of it....

Eric, Tony P how's it going?

BTW: I finally got a buyer for my daughter's S4. He's buying it Monday for $45k, which is slightly above value, but these cars are red hot here in the NorthEast. I told him that Audi charges 1k to transfer the warranty over to the new owner and the LoJack will be discontinued once I sell it if he doesn't pay the transfer fee to them. So he then says that he'll cut a $50k check to cover everything. This has never happened to me as I do sell a lot of my cars privately, but then again there is a first time for everything....
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I was curious how you would compare the extra length of the w 12...Thanks for the indepth comparison., Tomorrow the car finally goes in for the repair...I hope it goes well, as I don`t see how they will get the mmi out...I`m sure there is a easy way....You do have good results with the sales of your cars...I on the otherhand am discouraged to figure how to even get a good deal even buying one...Audi. in particular, as they don`t have the extras that one would want, without special ordering one, makes me feel as though I am the lamb being led to the slaughter....If I felt I were getting a good value, it wouldn`t be so hard...Tony
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    I am as well, curious about a W12 being longer than an A8L .......... Hmmmmmmmmm ...
    No, what he was implying was the extra length of tbe W12 versus the standard A8 lenghthg of the S8. It's about 10" shorter overall. And you do feel the difference immediately, in interior space and driving dynamics.
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    I just did a testdrive the 07 A8 this afternoon; the car felt no faster than my 05 E320 CDI which was offered $37100.00 for the trade in at 14k miles. I plan not to work so much as I am entering 60 and don't drive as much as I intend to take easier life. In order to enjoy somewhat mountain winter snow, I look into the A8. The price I was given was only one k off $74020.00 MSRP( with the ppd package) for the royalty discount(I did own 04 4.2 Allroad). The 07 4.2 engine is a direct inject 32 valves instead of the 40 of 06 and earlier ones. Any advice or suggestion will surely be appreciated!
  • shrinkrapshrinkrap Member Posts: 17
    Hi there!

I just went thru this whole process myself, having ordered a 2007 A8L w/ a variety of options, 1 1/2 months ago. As an aside, re your mentioning speed: I am not entirely sure why people are so hung up on this issue. The A8/A8L has a 0-60 rating of about 6.3 sec (some say that it's faster), which might be slower than some cars, but, then, what difference does 0.5-1.0 sec. make for most of the places that we drive? More pertinent is acceleration on an expressway setting; passing capacity; and, more certainly, the comfort afforded by a well-appointed luxury sedan. I was interested initially in a MB E550 4MATIC, but besides the fact that the Quattro system has advantages oves 4MATIC, the new E class, while quite "fast", felt too small for my purposes (this, after having owned a 2002 S430 for the past 5 yrs).

As for price: granted, I had a variety of options added to my order, which brought the MSRP up to $89K, but via a consumers' buying service (CarQ.com), I am acquiring the car for $1K over factory invoice...which represents a savings of $5-6K (I don't have the exact figure in front of me). Shopping around DOES pay!

shrinkrap
  • foster1foster1 Member Posts: 17
    My 05 Audi A8 stickered for a bit over $74K and I got it for $70K. I think the best time to buy is between Christmas and New Year, when you can take advantage of the dealers' end of month panic, plus the end of year dealer sales quotas/bonuses, concern with carry-over inventory, etc.
    Although I haven`t picked the car up , they phoned this afternoon, and reported the mmi fixed, and with not alot of trouble....My dealership experience has been fine, with the exception of having to wait so long for the appointment..As I said before, they are starting up and do not have enough mechanics...This was the way it was with Lexus in the beginning, so I have hope....Had this gone the other way, I would not consider Audi again, so this is nice for me, as I really enjoy the car and look forward to what may be coming down the pike....I`l elaborate on this tomorrow if aything changes Tony
    Nothing more to report, as everything was just fine....Tony
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    Somehow, at least in my region, the A8s are selling like the hot cakes; the internetsites very clearly indicate that there is no discount at this time. I tried three dealerships, one had to order, one got two standards and a A8L,except the L the other were sold, so I went out to Pa state and found one dealer had two standards and the one with 19" wheels was sold, I picked up the black A8 with the 18" wheels at $74945 of MSRP. I was given 39k for my 05 E320 CDI and 2k discount for the A8 after long bargainning. I had put almost 200 miles in the odometer, and yes, the 07 A8 is an excellent car indeed!
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • swlswl Member Posts: 5
    I have the same A8 but 2006, black with black interior, sticker was $76 with the premium and sports package, got it for $73. Sounds like you did okay. I am in Ohio and don't see too may A8's. I am sure you will be happy as I am, this is an excellent car. Have fun with it.
    Although I do not know about the trade in value of your other car, I think you did fine...To get any extra special equipment, you really have to order the car, which we Americans are not use to doing....That takes a few months...Stay in touch with your experiences Tony ps Congradulations
    What is your region?
  • swlswl Member Posts: 5
    Just started getting a rattle or more like a crackling noise in the middle of the dash. Have 11,500 miles on my A8 and this is the first warranty issue I have experienced. It only makes the noise when driving on uneven pavement. Anyone experience this noise. Taking it to dealer this evening to see if they can hear the same thing I do.
    on the S8. I drove it down to Florida to visit my brother and I can't begin to describe how well this car handles the open road.

I was a bit skeptic about driving it on the unforgiving roads of the Interstate, but the car took it like a true champ. In fact, it wallowed much less than the W12 at high speed(90+), no doubt given the fact that this car is about 400 pounds lighter and has a tighter sport suspension.

The whole 2200 mile journey(roundtrip) was drama free, and no Tony P, I did not ruin my bumper in the process.

There was a guy in Ft. Lauderdale that had a new Benz S63, and he had previously had interest in the S8, but he plunged for the way more expensive Benz, but after giving my car the once over, he quickly began to realize the Audi's potential. It's not as fast as the Benz, but it does handle better and is more comfortable.

As many of you know, I also just recently purchased an S600. Now this is the Benz to buy if just have to buy one. This is the most opulent car in the class, yes, even besting my beloved W-12. But at $150k, it had darned well better. My wife is overseas and has yet to see it, as this is supposed to be her car, the one we sold the CLS for. But after driving an S8 in Holland, she may think otherwise.

Tony P., Eric and the rest of the gang, how the hell are ya??
    Hi Blk--always good to read your posts...I am down in Miami now through Thanksgiving God willing, and this time I flew..I was worried about the security issues, but found it to be just as it was before the English scare...I must admit your drive makes my drive a short one in comparison, but I`l do it after Christmas...My A is maturing gracefully, and I still get a kick out of it, but must admit I do think the backseat area is a bit cramped..It need just a tiny bit more room.....Keep the repors coming Tony
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Ha! I love that word.

Now, I have an inquiry on the A8. We (as in my wife) are looking at the A8 SWB, the Jaguar XJ8 and the Mercedes E350 4Matic (and possibly even the 750i or 530xi) on Tuesday. I have a feeling that we'll end up with the A8, because she wants AWD, it has the best interior of the group, and since this would be my fourth Audi from the same dealer, I know the place.

Now, I also know that A8s aren't in huge supply (especially the SWB) and are not exactly flying off the lots.

With that kind of dealer-familiarity, would they give me a good deal? There's a good chance that it would end up at about $76K, with the Premium Package, 19" 12-spoke rims are a must, and one stupid option, the massaging/ventilating/heated front seats (I hope that includes heated rear seats). Would I be able to get it for under $70K? We're not getting it until after the first of the year, so I have some time to wait- but the reason we're driving them now is because we're going away for awhile on winter vacation.

Any suggestions? I won't have any problems with the XJ or E's price, but the A8 is a little pricier, and though it's worth it for the best car, I simply do not want to spend over $70,000 on the sticker.

Thanks.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    See your favorite dealer a couple of days before the end of the month and in this case just before the end of the year. They will be looking for every deal possible to be completed before year end for the volume payout for 2006.

Much success.
    Thanks for the advice.

I might bring myself to put an order on one before years' end, but I don't want to buy the car (I buy, never lease) until after the first of the year. Would I still get a good deal?

Also- I've read how salesmen that you're familiar with actually rip you off. There's a larger, more comprehensively backed-up Audi dealer in my area, and I'm tempted to get an offer from them first. Should I?
    I have the shorter body length, and for me it is fine...If you carry additional people regulary then I would suggest the longer wheel model as I find my car a bit short in the rear area.....You can save yourself some money by not getting the massaging/ventilating seat, as I find it really not worthwhile as no ari can pass through the fine holes in the leather, although the fine holes look good to me...I got the sun powered ventilation for the car and do find it great....As I got the car fairly well equipped, all but the alcentra(sp) headliner---which I wish I did get--my cost was eighty two thousand, and that was a year ago almost to the day...Further I had to order the car which took about three months....I found it hard to get a deal on as they wouldn`t build it if I didn`t buy it, and that puts us in a poor position....Blkhemi ( I feel) is a master car buyer, so he may have some suggestions...The car has been great...Tony ps Being down is S Florida I have rented a car which is a Mazda small car--and I find it to be quite good, the seat comfortable and firm--no electrical controls--the steering a bit light but nimble and I am sure many tens of thousands of dollars cheaper...Every day I see every very expensive car imaginable ,, so I am gettting jaded...Went into a jewelery store -Graff- picked out a rather small diamond (I was treated kindly)and it turned out to be eight hundred thousand dollars---Thought of Blkhemi`f wife and wish I had her along for advice, although I didn`t need any on that ring as it was out of my range immediately..
    Also I buy and do not lease. I am not certain regarding (if) the order is placed by year end but not paid if that puts leverage in your position relative to the dealers year end corporate bonus. Perhaps one of our Audi colleages has the answer ... ??
    Hi to all!

Just got back from a blast to the Catskills in the S8. In short, I wish the trip didn't have to end.

Esf, my advice to you is, since you've bought serveral Audi's from this same dealer, to bargain for the lowest price possible.

You're right, these cars aren't flying off of the lots here in the States. But in some areas, particularly here in the NE- New York area, the cars are scarce, mainly because of their huge versatility factor, and of course all-out luxury.

One thing is for sure, you'll have to order an '07 now as they've halted the production of the '06's, and that lessens the bargaining pull you'd have. Did you see a SWB on the lot in the color scheme that you like? Or excuse me, your wife?

If there is a '06 left there by now, I'd scoop it up in a heartbeat as there are no major changes to the '07 and you can get a heck of a deal on it. Don't by for over $70k.

BTW: I see you have an S4 Cab. I just sold my daughter's Cab. It was a heartbreaker to have to do so. She's now enjoying papa's W12. I'm really thinking of asking for my W12 back and tossing her the keys to the S8 as I really miss the W12, but both are excellent cars.
    "If you carry additional people regularly then I would suggest the longer wheel model as I find my car a bit short in the rear area..."

Although I'll probably end up driving it a lot, because not only is it ultra-luxurious, but a lot of fun to drive, this will be my wife's next car. As it happens, she's very short (5'1" or 5'2"), and behind her seat, it still feels like an A8L!

In a spontaneous idea, we drove it last night. She was mightily impressed by its cushy ride (this was with the 19" rims that she wants, those beautiful polished 12-spokes), fantastic interior, speed, technology and superlative features (comparing it to the E350 4Matic and XJ8).

We drove the E350 4Matic today. It was pleasant, but she wasn't impressed. Just as we were walking out, she whispered to me, "I still want the A8."

That's my girl.

Those are some pretty sweet rides.

I do have to ask you- is there a significant performance difference between the S8 and W12? They have equal horsepower, and the only advantage I can think of for the W12 is the extra legroom. That, and the "snob appeal". I don't see why anyone would spend the extra $27K for the W12- but I'm sure you bought the W12 before the S8 was released.

I'm hoping you have the four-seat package. So cool.
    In my third and last post for the night, I'm wondering if there have been any serious reliability issues on A8s any of you may own.

Because my wife has a Lexus, she's used to perfect reliability and a perfect dealership. Although she may not quite get the same dealership experience at Audi, I'm hoping the reliability will measure up. This will be the fifth Audi for the family, in a timeline of...

'00 A6 2.7T quattro, no problems except for a headlight washer cap that flew off (traded in on a lease)

'98 A4 1.8T quattro bought used for my son, only had an oil leak (sold)

'05 S4 Cabriolet, still owned, no problems, I love it

'06 A3 2.0T, no problems in my eleven months of ownership (and counting)

I myself have experienced trouble-free Audi models, and I know that this is a rarity. It would be a shame if the A8 disappointed us in this way, especially because we'll be paying over $75,000 for it. It's a lot to swallow, and I expect nothing less than the best.
    In my year of ownership, I hit a tire tread and it in turn demolished the front lower right bumper--it was fixes by Contice(sp) of Coral Gables , and they did a superb job..No fault of the Audi...Just recently the gear that makes the mmi swivel broke and was fixed in a day after waiting two week for a slot as this is a new dealer...Car has been fine, but no question the Lexus dealership in Charleston S C is the best I have ever experienced since lexus started to make cars...I really think you would enjoy the A8 as I have..and I also felt just as you about the price, but you will have a pride of ownership that is well worth it....Good luck on your and your wife`s decision...Tony
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    My father has a 2004 A8L, although he's only put around 20K miles on it (he's retired and doesn't drive much). He's had some electrical glitches (steering wheel not coming down when starting the car, the trunk staying locked when it shouldn't, and he was actually locked out of the car once and had to get a ride home from someone else). Added to that, there was a problem with the brackets for the trunk (replaced by dealer at no cost), and a recent airbag recall.

Other than these things, no problems. He's been happy with the car, and is glad that he bought it. Due to poor service from his dealer I doubt he will buy another one, but that's a local issue and doesn't have anything to do with the car itself.

One funny thing: while driving to a golf course we had never been to before in Tyngsborough, MA, the navigation system brought us to Carlisle! Not even close! Once we figured it out, I had to use an old fashoned map. We barely made our tee time.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    I have had three A8s and I am on my 10th Audi so hopefully I can be a somewhat credible source in terms of reliability. First of all, I live in LA, and my dealership experience has been superb and continues to be so. When I purchased my W12 in 05' my dealer sent a limo to pick me up so I cannot say anything bad there. All my A8s have been pretty flawless. My '01 only suffered from a poor CD player that was replaced. My '04 actually had no problems except for software updates, and my current 05' W12 has been perfect including the automatic trunk. However, I do have to say that my dealer replaced my trunk motor and hinge assembly as a precaution during a routine oil change so I would never have any problems on my W12. As Audi upgrades and redefines its dealers, the many service issues hopefully will go away. Take a read of the article below. It is very interesting.

The question regarding the S8 and W12 is that they are very different beasts. The W12 is much more of a cruiser, while the S8 is much more performance orientated in its handling and set-up. The S8 is also a SWB vs. the W12 that is a LWB. So the S8 is faster.

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_2705.shtml
    Well, I myself have had no problems with my Audi dealer, because I am fairly close with my salesman. He's sold me my last 3 Audi cars, and gave us a little special treatment too when we bought the S4 Cabriolet.

However, we'll be using a different, more convenient dealer for her, that's just been redesigned- aptly named the Audi Exchange. I bought my first Audi there, the A6, and had an okay time with that dealer, but hopefully things have changed since the reconstruction.

On your answer about the S8- you mentioned it was faster. I still don't see why anyone in their right mind would buy a 2007 S8 over a 2007 W12, because the S8 still has all the luxury features you would find in a SWB A8, and that is a mighty fine car. I realize that you bought yours before the S8 was out, but I'm talking about now, now that the S8 is out.

I think choosing an S8 vs. A8L W12 is a matter of preference. I love both, so for me either way is a good choice. However, the A8L W12 is honestly a prestige vehicle and the the king of the Audi mountain so to speak. For me, I find the A8L W12 simply nothing short of perfection in terms of substance and execution. I have yet to see anyone come close to it in this regard. I love the S8, but found the S6 more to my liking at this level (1) because it is smaller than the S8 (2) the design and look of the S6 is just awesome. The rest goes without saying in terms of performance, etc. There are differnces between the S8, A8L 4.2 and A8L W12 other than engines. The S8 is executed in a more performance based manner with available ceramic brakes, and other performance enhanced systems. Just like there is a big difference between an A6 4.2 and S6 (and there is!) I know I have a 4.2 A6 as well, so is the same for the A8 L 4.2 and S8. At A8L feels like luxury and the S8 feels like a sports sedan. Plus its the cache of the Audi S/RS lines.
    Rolling tumbleweed.

It seems like more and more of us are abandoning out little peace section of the forum.

So I'll breathe some life back into it.

The S8 is doing splendidly well. I drove it through a 2ft snow drift the other say and the car never stop driving it's wheels. Very inpressive, especially one with 30 series rubber for tires.

Someone mentioned something about why one would take a W12 over lesser Audi's.

The answer to that has to either be that the owner wants total opulance at it's greatest, or just wants the best A8 on the market.

True, some of the options are totally frivilous. Rear-fridge(never used) and so many buttons that it takes a NASA space engineer to configure it all. But the overall presence of the car is what drove me to buy one, then another. The W12 is so impressive, that I still am debating which is more opulent, the S600 or W12. Never before has anyone had to ask such a question.

Tony, Eric(total stranger ;) ) and everyone else, how are the Audi's....
    Hi BLK Been missing you and Eric...He is still around as he occasionally post on the D3 audi board...I have been renting the Mazda for the last few weeks, and thoroughly enjoying it...Down here in Miami there are so many really high end cars, it is a treat just to stand and watch them...Yesterday in traffic I saw three Ferrari super cars go by almost one afer another...They do have a special sound...I only see an occasional Mercedes as they are still pretty new, but they have reallly grown on me....I personally am still very taken with the Audi , and do not understand why a person would not choose it over almost any other brand...particularly as Lexus has increased the cost so much...Every Lexus I have owned has had one major problem and so far the Audi has had one minor problem....Your friend Tony
  • shrinkrapshrinkrap Member Posts: 17
    blkhemi:

"you're back...", and I'm still waiting! My car advocate called yesterday to say that my A8L has been assembled, but it won't reach me until late Dec-early Jan. That's not bad, considering: 3 1/2-4 months for my special order. I'm just hoping for no really bad weather assaulting my SL500 before the Audi arrives. I might end up having to rent a Jeep!

More news will be forthcoming after the Audi arrives.

shrinkrap
    As I understood it, you're from the East Coast(Baltimore) right? If so, then yeah, that Jeep may come in handy. Have you seen the appetizer that Mother Nature cooked up a couple of days ago?

The wait time that you're going through is very typical. Audi has sometimes put some people through as much as 8 months to wait.

But trust me, it's way worth it.

And just remember, that SL won't be too happy hoping along on snow chains... ;)
    It's good to know that you're still in love with the Audi, even after the slight MMI prob.

Curious, which Mazda do you have? I ask this as my neighbor just bought is 17 year old son the new MazdaSpeed 3 hatchback.

I don't know about you, but this may be the best $23k anyone could spend on a car. Very solid car.
    Hi Blk I`m not sure, it is a 3 for sure with four doors, and a soiler my wife doesn`t care for.....It is a fine car, comfortable, and reasonably peppy....I am glad products like this are around--as I really don`t like the thought of the cost for a dent in the Audi--particularly driving around a city like Miami....Down here it is better to `turn the other cheek` rather than get aggressive....I should imagine it would be the same way in N. Y. The Audi will make the next trip down so I will then be back in worry mode.. Further we took a shorttrip to a state park and drove by a tremendous Mercedes dealership...That would be a fun trip in itself Tony
    Oh, so my salesman was lying.

One dealer said TWO MONTHS for custom order.

The one I usually go to said three- and I thought that sounded like a lot.

I'm a little annoyed. My S4 only took about three months, and I'd expect the A8 to take about the same time.

In my case they said three months and it came a little earlier than that....It is a long time, and I don`t care that experience, but when it does come you will enjoy it.Tony ps when is ir supposed to come in?
    Well I finally got back from sunny Miami, and uncovered the car to find someone had broken the windshield wiper arms off...They looked pretty sturdy where the break was, sort of a cast aluminum assembly, and I would have thought they would really be hard to break---but neatly broken they were...I was lucky that there was but one small scratch, which was not very noticable up where the hood gets close to the windshield....The cover was tied as I had left it so it is bit of a mystery how they were broken so neatly and not damaged the hood more....Oh well this is life...The cost to replace them is two hundred fifty plus dollars, and when I drive the car next time to Miami I will see if the body repair shop that fixed the bumper so well can do anything....If not I`l just leave it as it is as the scratch is small...The auto dealership (which is new) seems to be making progress quickly and they will replace the assembly next Monday.....It was nice too get back from the Mazda which I found to be a nice enjoyable car that was rented....Missed the smell of the leather even though I didn`t know it until I smelled it....Tony
  • thuinkerthuinker Member Posts: 14
    I have an A8L W12. While doing a U-turn, the tires feel like they are sort of stuttering (slipping and grabbing and slipping and grabbing) which can even be felt in the steering wheel. A service rep at Audi said it was the Quattro mechanism doing its job because all four wheels are being powered. Does anybody else experience anything similar or do I have a one of a kind or is this completely normal? Thanks. :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have received or are giving a luxury car as a gift for Christmas. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 8, 2006 with your daytime contact info.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I have 4.2 and mine's doing the same thing. I also notice this on my other AWD vehicles. This is only when making sharp turns.
    This is absolutely normal.

Most AWD/4WD cars and trucks use a universal system that reads wheel movement and articulation at all times.

In the case of the Audi, the superior quattro traction does have some tendencies to do what is called "bind", the transfer case is sending maximum torque the wheel(s) with the most traction, and that's what keeps the car moving. A small price to pay, IMO.

My W12 did, so does my S8, and both did it from day one.

Even my AWD Jeep SRT-8 and Commander 4X4 HEMI do it. Turn the wheel lock-to-lock and give the car some gas, and the binding starts. This is all perfectly normal. No need to worry.
    My Audis are doing great. I haven't been driving my W12 as much as I have been hanging out with my kid, my S6. Drove up the coast here in California from LA to Monterey to slowly break in the new S6. It is such a refined car for daily use, yet it has the Jekyl streak with its V10 that makes for thrilling driving. I have to keep myself in check to avoid tickets or worse jail. It is difficult to explain, but as with Audis it just feels perfect. The suspension is definitely firm and very different from the W12, though it is quite plush with all its amenities. Anyway, how is your W12 doing? Are you taking it back?
    Hi Real. I've been following you over on the HELC board, what a nightmare, right?

The W12 is now back with me. My daughter thought the car was to big(I think she just didn't want to be seen in a huge car), and so she returned it back to me. Not so much as a scratch on it, and she even had it serviced and detailed before returning. What a daughter, now if I can just get the wife to.... Guess what she bought herself after selling one of the biggest pieces of real estate in the Hamptons($29 mil, you do the math on that commission)? You guessed it. A spanking new loaded to the tilt '07 Audi RS4. She couldn't wait on Audi to send the RS6 over, so she got the next best thing. She wanted an S6, but as you know, they're fresh out for quite some time.

Anyway, the S8 is a running champ. This thing is incredible, way more substantial than my '02 S8. Nothing is overlooked.

I had a guy in a S55(W220) the other day take a second look before trying to overtake me in a lane. I had that "It ain't gonna happen" look on my face and he proudly stepped behind me. When we got to the light, I put the car in neutral and gave it a little gas to show him this isn't a regular A8. Needless to say, I he didn't tail behind to close.

BTW: I've gotten the car over 1,000 miles, so the entitled me to take it to the top end- 161 mph exactly. I'm taking it to my Audi hotspot here in New York to get the limiter taken off, just as I did with my S600 and W12. It's amazing how fast these cars are, being 2 tons and all.

Glad to see you're ripping up the PCH, 101 or the I-5 out in Cali with that V10 soundtrack in your ear.
    Hi Blkhemi,

You are right the HELC is a nightmare lately, all that fuss over a Lexus. Not even a true premium marquee. It's become like an invasion of the Lexus pod people.

Congratulations to your wife (and you in hindsight) on the RS4! What a very nice ride. Let us know your (I mean hers) impression of the RS4 once you open him up on your favorite road. We just got my mother an S4 to go with her A6 4.2. Although she is 75, she knows how to pilot an Audi as she grew up driving the German autobahns...probably better than most drivers. Anyway, I can see how your wife couldn't wait for the RS6. I'm traveling to Geneva in March for the auto show and specifically to see the premier of the RS6. I'll try to put some pics on here along with the report.

The S6 continues to elicit some major driving pleasure. The combination of that S6 "V10 soundtrack" with the its speed, agility, and refinement is priceless. I can only imagine the fun you are having with the S8. Glad you showed the S55 guy who's boss. We get that kind of behaviour here in LA all the time, but it comes from BMW drivers mostly who seem to think they are entitled to the "right of way".

Although, I thought the S6 would be a stealth driver, it garners quite a bit of attention and questions. Yes, I hear it is hard to get an S6 as they are presold, but since LA is a very "hot" Audi market right now, there seem to be some available directly off the dealer floor. I know my dealer has two extra (maybe one as think they sold it over the weekend), but you can get one here if need be. The PCH is always a great road for ripping up with some beautiful West Coast scenery. V10 always helps. Glad your W12 is back. It's just such an imposing HELM.

Got to sit in the R8 at the LA Auto Show a couple of weeks ago as a guest of Audi. Definitely, a must see in person. Pics do not do it justice. Sitting still it is moving. Ran to my dealer to put a deposit on it. Will replace the A6 4.2 of my wife with it and let her drive the S6. What you think?
  • bobszebobsze Member Posts: 1
    BH, I picked up my W12 3 months ago and it is awesome. I tried to convince my wife to take my 04 A8L but she passed on it (too big!!), so my best friend is now driving it. Anyway, I wanted to find out more about removing the limiter. You mentioned your audi hotspot. I live in the NY area and would love to talk to some experts about it. To be honest I have yet to push the car past 110, but the thought of opening it to 160 fascinates me. I also currently have the 20inch rims on the car which look great. I am thinking of winter tires and would love to stick with the 20's which limits my choices. Any thoughts on rims, tires? Looking forward to hearing back from you.
This discussion has been closed.