Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A8

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    What color did you get? I'm so wanting for this car to meet its sales targets.

M
  • t6553gwt6553gw Member Posts: 18
    Congratuation Paul on your A8, It's good to know you like the car.
  • hage45hage45 Member Posts: 13
    Paul-I also have a Lexus, LS430 Custom 2001, but my previous car was a 1998 Audi A8. How do you compare the new A8 to the Lexus.
  • cjack53cjack53 Member Posts: 1
    I also test drove the 04 A8L on Thursday afternoon. I own a 2000 S-Type, my lease is up soon so I'm very interested in this vehicle. I'm very happy with the S-Type but thinking about something different. I was also impressed with the exterior styling. The car is very long but the lines are amazing that you don't care about the length. The interior says style. The sales lady had just returned from the ride and drive 2 day test on the car in Las Vegas and was ready to demo what the car could do. She noticed my driving expertise and told me to drive the car to a spot going to Balboa Park where the road is up hill and very ziz zag like. As we approached the first turn she told me not to break, I did because of the speed I was at. The next turn she said it again, I covered the brake was didn't press it. The next turn she said go the car will take it and I did. For the next 5 turns I just went for it and the car went through turns that I have never done so fast in my life. AMAZING! what he car can do. After that we went on the freeway and the select shift, engine and ride was equally amazing. The only flaw I noticed wad the cabin noise level. I was told that that may improve if I selected comfort on the ride selection. Audi has a bad rep. fpr for losing value, but after that test drive, makes you want to rethink Audi and a contender. I've test drove the S-430, Lexus L-430, and the 04 Maxima. I sell Fords and Hondas. Own a 01 Accord, and 00 S-Type 4.0. You owe it to yourself to test drive this car and don't be suprised to hear the salesperson say it can take it. 50 MPH around a hairpin turn gave me motion sickness, almost.
    The local Audi dealer hear has one outside. Man this is a gorgeous car. If any car deserves to sell better this is it. It is a very long car though and I suspect it will look ever better in darker colors, the one on display was silver. The 19-inch wheels look good, but will no doubt be hard to keep clean. This car is the total and exact opposite of the 7-Series. It's actually very, attractive and functional.....and appears to be simpler to use.

M
    Nice article Charles.
    Can't wait to hear (read) about it!

M
    I am still testing the Satellite radio on A8, both XM and Sirius will be supported.
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    Wow I'm surprised to hear that the 3rd dealer actually would deal the 04 A8L at below MSRP at all. Congrats though.

Billy
  • onefastjackassonefastjackass Member Posts: 1
    Ok I am thinking about purchasing a used a8 for my wife and have some questions. First of all I live in Ohio so I want to know how well the aluminum is holding up in the salt and if I decide to buy should I go to a southern state to buy one or is this not an issue??

How is reliability on these years??We would buy one with between 20,000 and 40,000 miles and then plan on running it till 120,000 or 8 more years whichever comes first

Are there any years that we should stay away from due to corrosion or reliability??

Are there any years that had alot of differences in the features??

Also I want to know what towing you can do with it if prepared properly. Towing isn't our primary concern but if it could tow 3500 pounds that would be a plus. That way we could get rid of my 3/4 ton GMC that we keep around just for the boat we own. If not we will just keep it.

Sorry I'm so ignorant on these cars but I am new to them and no one around here seams to know much about them. Thank's Kevin
  • paul1266paul1266 Member Posts: 4
    I see a few of you have mentioned satellite radio for the new a8 is this a dealer installed option or does it have to be ordered when you order the car. Please let me know.

Thanks
    It's not ready yet, will be ready sometime in October, and the car is wiring ready for later installation, (the thing on top of roof is the Satellite antenna) so I think you can install after purchase. So probably a dear installed option but I am not sure.
  • alobo18alobo18 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanting to share some of the problems i'm having with my 98 A8. Perhaps some of you have had similar problems and could confirm them and tell me how the dealership handled them. Luckily the car is still under Audi Assured.

First there is the transmission which has jerk when decelerating in the 55-66 mph range. The dealership claims that they cant find a problem, although last time I took it in they were able to find it, and said it may need a new transmission(before they knew it was under warranty).

Second, some of the steering oil is apparently leaking into the car, and has soaked the drivers floor mat. Dealership does not think that's the only source of the oil.

Third, antenna broke off, rather fragile i guess. Anyone else have to replace the antenna, can i install a generic one?

Anyways thanks, hopefully some of you can relate your experiences to mine.
  • automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    With regards to the transmission jerk, I experienced this same type of thing when accelerating and decelerating at high speeds. When I took it to the dealership, they told me the problem may have been the adaptive learning that the transmission uses, and all they did was just turn that option off in the computer. Since then it has been a real pocket rocket (though the gas mileage dropped a little).

The antenna cannot be replaced with a generic one because it is a dual type antenna. What this means is that this antenna is not only wired to run the radio, but also is used as the cellular phone antenna when installed. Therefore, I don't think you can install a generic one...I think it needs to be the OEM antenna.

Hope this helps a little...

AS
  • papageorgipapageorgi Member Posts: 1
    There is no plan for a redsigned A8 for the US. The A8L will be the only one that we have in this country with exception to the S8 which will be SUPERCHARGED! Think of the possiblities.
    Has anyone here taken delivery of one of these fabulous machines yet?

M
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    What an awesome machine. I saw one in France on a short business trip and came back headed over to my Audi dealer and ordered one of my own for September delivery. I got a good deal because I am trading in a 2003 E500 that I've had for several months. The interior sold me (quality is fantastic!) Bigger than the Merc but I will get used to it. The dealer didn't have one on the lot but will call and let me drive the next one in. Can't wait. The only thing I've heard negative is a little more road noise than the S-class but my dealer told me to order the dual pane glass and that would yield a quieter noise level.
    Congrats on the new audi, how do your like the E500 in terms of high speed cruising quality?
    The ride of my E500 was nice. The air suspension has a lot to do with it. One reason I like the Audi A8 setup as well. Much better than the E320's conventional system. On thing I was disappointed with was the steering feel. I don't know perhaps just a disconnected feel. Other than that I would recommend it to most people looking for the Merc brand. I'd even go so far to say unless you need the size of an S-Class buy the E500 until the next S comes out. Build quality of the S is poor in my opinion. Now the A8 is in a league of it's own in terms of quality. Perhaps because Audi is a small player in auto sales unlike the ever expanding MB.
    After a call from my dealer I got the chance to drive the A8 and there was one negative in my experience. The ride quality is rather poor. It is not the smooth quiet ride I was expecting (I had high expectations). Not that it was like a Honda Accord but it was not nearly as smooth as the E500 I am trading in. I was a little disappointed. I thought perhaps it was the settings in the MMI system but it was set to "Auto" which would probably be the setting one drives in all the time. Other than that I love the car and was very pleased with it.
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    I am considering purchase a VW Touareg. The V8 engine has been "borrowed" from the Audi A8. Any opinions or experiences with this engine would be appreciated. Thanks
    I drove the A8 for 10,000 miles with 4.2, no problem and complain yet, it's buttery smooth.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    went to the audi store today and saw the new A8.....WOW is that a nice interior.......the exterior looks much better than in pictures also...a really nice car.....

IMHO the new A8 and Jag XJ are the class of the import large car field. The new Jag is lean and mean, the Audi is the elegant stateman. The Mercedes is dated and too disco, the Bangle BMW 7 is flat out heinous.
  • joemanzjoemanz Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 S8 with the poorest paint quality I have ever seen.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    well, that's unfortunate, but the new 7 series Bimmer is still REALLY UGLY and has a COLUMN SHIFTER.....eeeewwwwwwwwww

Get that s8 repainted by the best body man and its still cheaper than the bimmer
  • dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
    That is my wish so that I can buy the new A8L. I finally sat in and test drove the new A8L yesterday. Very nice is all I can say when I finished the test drive. It's not as quiet as the Lexus LS430 or as sporty as the BMW 745Li, but it did everything well. I drove it in the city, on the highway, and a little in the country. It did not absorb the bumps like I thought it would, but it wasn't bad either. The seats were form fitting. The ergonomic interior was top notch. The exterior was pleasing to look at (I don't know if the 2005 A8 regular car length will look better?). Everything was very nice for the price (stickered at $73k). That is still less than the Mercedes or BMW. May be in a couple of years I can afford this baby. This is all dependent on what the new S500 and LS430 will look like in a couple of years.

I also test drove the new VW Toureg. It was also nice but not at pleasing ergonomically as the Range Rover or LX470. I saw a lot of Audi parts in the Toureg. I drove the V6--kind of weak. If I get one, it would have to be a V8. The ride was reasonably good for a suv. It absorb the bumps alright. It was not as quiet as other luxury suv's I've driven. The only thing I thought was disappointing was the lack of a cd changer or dvd system for the back seats.

I also saw the RS6. It looks incredibly sporty and beastly. It looked like it can it up the competition. I wasn't able to drive it, because it was in the showroom. It looks wonderful, but I'm not sure it is worth $85k. I currently drive an 2003 A6. I love it, but I think I would love it more if I can put the body kit of the RS6 on my regular A6. I don't need all that power--don't think I will ever use it.

As always drive safely out there.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    Awesome Idea
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    Huh? body kits? IMHO, buying a real enthusiast driver's car like the RS6 is the real deal.

An A6 with a body kit is just an A6
    Has anyone else ordered the 04 A8L and if so how much lead time did your dealer project before delivery. I ordered on June 12th and still can not get a straight answer on when to expect delivery. I keep hearing late Sept. or maybe early Oct. This feels like entirely too long. Let me know.
    I still would love it. I don't drive fast anymore (usually five miles over the speed limit). I just like the way the RS6 looks. I know that I will never use most of the potent, raw power that the RS6 has, so why would I even buy one. I don't care if people know that it is not a RS6. All I care is that it looks appealing to me. Some people buy those very high-priced, very high-powered cars and never get to use all the power. The only place I can see anyone using that much power is on the racetrack. So would or could you you take it to the track? If you can, then good for you. Me, I would just rather drive my regular good-looking A6 with the RS6 body kit to the store, work, vacation or mall. I don't buy cars to show off to people (Hey look at what I got!!). I buy them to drive everyday--that is my enjoyment.
    Well put!
  • juniorrdcjuniorrdc Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1998 A8, 4.2 Quattro with approx. 73,000 miles on it and just had to have the transmission replaced. It would have been a very expensive undertaking had it not been an "assured" car. A colleague in my office also had an A8 that was a year or two newer than mine and he had to have its transmission replaced a few months ago as well. Has anyone else out there had transmission issues/replacements?? I guess I am just wondering if there is a theme here and should I expect this new transmission to fail. Any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    On Audiworld.com there has been a lot of discussion about A8 transimission failures. The belief system is that the trans fluid is not lifetime as advertised and requires changing by 50K miles. The belief is that if the fluid is changed the transmission will last.
    I ordered my A8 on Jun 23rd and have been told it will be delivered around Nov 15th. I guess they have a lot of orders to fill or perhaps the strikes in Germany caused a backlog. I was told when I ordered to expect up to a 6 month wait. Hopefully you will get a firmer date.
  • juniorrdcjuniorrdc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll check Audiworld as well. So, changing the transmission fluid at 50k intervals should lessen the chances of future problems?? I guess I am just trying to anticipate the chances of having to go through this again, but by then the "assurance" will be gone and I would be on the hook for the $11,000 repair. My dilemna is should I try to get out of this car before the tranny issue arises again or something else big happens??. Or should I hang in with this car feeling pretty confident that by keeping on top of the routine maintenance I would be able to put another 100K miles on it relatively trouble free??. Any thoughts?? I have been thinking about looking at late model Lexus, BMW 740il, or a Benz. I thought you might have an opinion there. Any recommendations/preference on Benz models?? Thanks again.
    Well the gerneal feeling on this board is that nobody should own an Audi without the warrenty. The guys on the Audiworld board are like me and are more mechanically inclined, who feel that with proper mainatinance the A8 is reasonably reliable sans the transmission issues. I'm not suggesting you should keep it but if you were to I would definitely make sure that the timing belt , water pump and tensioner were replaced before you got out of warranty if it hasn't been done already.

I see the A8 as more car than the E class but less car than the S class. Audi's in general are a better deal. I'd love to have a used S Class but in my opionion the 2000+ models certainly carry more than their share of maintainance cost risk. They have had more than their share of problems with the air suspension. The E Class being simplier has lower risk. I am currently thinking of looking hard at one but to be honest I haven't been overwhelmingly impressed when I have driven them. But they are beautiful so they are still on my list.
  • robertsona8robertsona8 Member Posts: 1
    My A8 had a transmission failure last night, right in front of my house after a 1 1/2 hour ride home. A loud clunk, and the trans went into safe mode. The car would move, but only 5 mph at 2,500 rpm. Any other similar experiences? The car is 6 month out of warranty with 75k miles, and I'm reluctant to take it to the dealer. I've seen the audiworld, and audipages sites. Maybe a Z-F transmission? The local trans shop?

Thanks for your input,

Steve
    Thanks for the input on delivery time. I am now told it looks like a firm delivery time of late Oct, from my June 12th order date. went over to dealer to check out a floor model with the same exterior and interior color scheme of Charcoal and amaretto, very sharp combination. Trying to be patient. Good luck on getting yours in soon
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I don't know if Audi will push its Ultra Sport option up to the A6 or A8 models -- but my dealer had a new A4 with the Ultra Sport option -- which added ground effects (spoilers chin and rear deck), fully painted and matching rocker panels, bigger wheels and tires and sport seats (I think). I believe it had the Audi A4 sport suspension but it was lower by yet another 10 0r 15mm over that.

It had a 6spd manual and was equipped with a 3.0L six. The dealer mentioned that it is available on the 1.8T too.

It makes the car look cool (even the rear tail pipes emerged from a new rear valence with the grid look); presumably the car will handle better (due to the lower, firmer suspension and larger more aggressive wheels and tires) and the overall performance feel of the car should be improved too. I cannot remember if the final drive ratio was shorter (larger numerically) which would serve to quicken the 0-XX times, but this would seem to be in the spirt of ULTRA sport. The price was $3,495 on the sticker. It was metallic black with black leather (no alcantara, however) interior.

It would be an Audi AS4 -- looks more sporty than stock, handling improvements, slightly quicker; not the same grunt as the S4 but over $10,000 less. Perhaps the kind of thing you were looking for in an A6 -- kind of a cross between an A6 and an S6 (saloon) -- heck maybe the engine sound option that is on the RS6 at my dealer's could be applied to an A6 2.7T or 4.2 and you could enjoy many of the performance goodies, but not the big one and many if not most of the good lookin' goodies.

The true Audi Aficionados would still know it wasn't an RS6, but that's OK as you say you are getting it for YOU and YOUR tastes not to fool someone into thinking it is an $85K car. Heck, I'll bet that most people who see an RS6 have no clue what they list for.
    Thanks for the message. I don't know if Audi will ever have an A6 with the sports body kit of an RS6, but I hope so. I've been checking out the new 2005 A6, and I can honestly say that if they make the grill that big and ugly, this will be my last A6.
    Any car nut out there like me? I sometimes can't wait to get my auto magazines (losing sleep anticipating the first of each month). I love to see better and more beautiful autos. Don't know how to fix any car, but I just love to drive, look, and read about them. I also like more modern cars, don't have a passion for classics.
    Ditto your comments plus I know how to work on them.
  • 300eguy05300eguy05 Member Posts: 39
    as a possible option for my next car purchase. If any of you here could shed light on the new A8 for me, that would be great. I am quite fond of the car from the looks but, I am cautious because the car is an Audi and they have had problems in the past. I am also considering the S430 and the XJ. So, to any of those out there with a new MY04 A8, it would be great to hear your experience with the car so far. Thanks in advance:)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .so I do not relate to the "because it is an Audi comment."

I must tell you that ANY of these high buck European cars must never be possesed out of warranty, unless you have a printing press that creates $20 bills.

This characterization from one point of view is accruate if stated without the name Audi or is most accurate when stated "high buck European cars" instead of simply inferring that Audi is alone in this regard.

Make no mistake, I am not saying that the spirit of what you are implying is untrue, merely that it is not limited to Audi. I would have no greater or lesser concerns with a Bimmer or a Merc or a Jag, etc.
    I completely agree. Never, I repeat, NEVER keep a high end (S-Class, 7Series A8 etc..) car past the warranty on the car. The costs become huge because the cars are getting so complex. I know of one associate that had to replace the COMAND system in the S and it cost $6600US total and a friend who had a 2001 7 series had a minor bump with his garage door and the bumper repair with the sonar parking system cost $3100US. These cars are very expensive long term if things go wrong.
  • orienteoriente Member Posts: 44
    In response to 300eguy05 and others, I am considering the new A8; however, I will wait for the standard model to come along, I believe A8N is the designation. I trust Audi USA will be importing it sometime in 2004. The N is nearly 500 lbs lighter, which translates into faster, less gas, better handling, etc., albeit less expensive.
    In any case, if one plans to keep the car past 4 yrs, one should consider an Extended Warranty. I seem to recall my Credit Union offering 7yr/100k mi for just over $2K. By the way, this was the same for the BMW 7, but I could not find anyone at the time that would offer extended warranty on the XJ8, a bad reflection on the Jaguar quality.
  • fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    I have not heard anything about Audi bringing the the regular wheelbase A8 to the U.S. I also was told that the fantastic new S8 version may not make it to the U.S either. I wish that they had brought the regular wheelbase version in!

Jaguar offers extended warranties for XJ8's. I am not sure about your credit union's offerings, but I am wary of aftermarket independent warranties.

With respect to Jaguar quality, it has improved greatly over the past five or six years. I saw a recent magazine rating that rated certified Jaguar resales with the lowest problem ocurrence of any certified used luxury vehicles, including MB and BMW.
    I too seriously doubt they'll bring over the short-wheelbase A8. The only A8 model that will ride on the short-base will be the next S8. But anything is possible and if A8 buyers ask they'll do it, because the current A8L has been found to be too big for some.

M
  • ksurgksurg Member Posts: 48
    I too wish that the standard A8 or S8 were available. Unfortunately my horizon is too short to hold out. So I'll probably buy an A8L.
    As for the S8 I wonder what engine will be used. I've heard speculation ranging from a super charged 4.2 to a W-12 and even a modified V-10 borrowed from the Carrera GT(perhaps designated an R8). Too bad this things are industry secrets.
  • orienteoriente Member Posts: 44
    I looked for the S8 in the Audi home site (Germany) and could not find it, so I conclude it still does not exist.
    One interesting thing I noticed at the referenced web site is the large number of exterior colors available on the A8, most of them at extra cost, though. I bet we (USA)will be offered only a few.
    As for the short base A8N making it to the USA, there is a strong indication I believe in the Autoweek web site that it will happen, possibly followed by the S8, but not as likely.
    Well thats true there is no S8 right now. Expect it to be shown sometime during 2004, along with the A8 W12.

M
This discussion has been closed.